Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 1, 2015 6:33 PM

Apr 2014
i know there's 1000000 threads about this, but the more of them i read the more confused and indecisive i become. i remember trying to watch fate/zero some time ago and the first episode left me so confused that i just gave up on it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2015 7:12 PM

Oct 2014
owlpoop said:
i know there's 1000000 threads about this, but the more of them i read the more confused and indecisive i become. i remember trying to watch fate/zero some time ago and the first episode left me so confused that i just gave up on it

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1286059
Feb 1, 2015 7:13 PM

Jul 2012
You don't need any experience in the franchise to watch Fate/Zero. I turned out fine.
Feb 1, 2015 7:37 PM

Oct 2014
mayukachan said:
You don't need any experience in the franchise to watch Fate/Zero. I turned out fine.

doesn't matter about experience, it matters about spoiling major plot points.
Feb 1, 2015 7:38 PM

Jul 2012
nocorras said:
mayukachan said:

In UBW? I didn't feel spoiled.
Feb 1, 2015 7:40 PM

Dec 2012
This just made it more confusing for me tbh. I'm just going to go by sequel/prequel or air date.
Feb 1, 2015 7:42 PM

Aug 2008
Having seen everything by air date, I can assure you that you will not be confused if you do the same.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Feb 1, 2015 7:50 PM

Jul 2011
mayukachan said:
nocorras said:

Not so much for UBW, but if you are planing to watch the HF movies, then it's another story.
If it's just for UBW it isn't a big problem.

Oct 2014
Rothrock said:
This just made it more confusing for me tbh. I'm just going to go by sequel/prequel or air date.

Air date is just bad and I don't know how anyone could find what I linked confusing.

Prequels are meant to be watched after the original work.

Jul 2012
Praland said:
mayukachan said:

Not so much for UBW, but if you are planing to watch the HF movies, then it's another story

I didn't even know they existed until now. lol I don't plan to.
Feb 1, 2015 7:52 PM

Oct 2014
mayukachan said:
Praland said:

Not so much for UBW, but if you are planing to watch the HF movies, then it's another story

They don't exist right now.
Feb 1, 2015 7:54 PM

Aug 2008
nocorras said:
mayukachan said:

Ohp. Nevermind then. Cancel all plans.
We're going to have to wait until every single adaptation is released before we can determine the singular viewing order ordained upon us by the holy grail.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Feb 1, 2015 7:55 PM

Oct 2014
Deserada said:
nocorras said:

Ohp. Nevermind then. Cancel all plans.
We're going to have to wait until every single adaptation is released before we can determine the singular viewing order ordained upon us by the holy grail.

Please quote where I said someone had to do a certain order? All I said is something doesn't exist. If you don't want 80% of plot points spoiled you wait, if you don't care you watch Zero. If you like the franchise you read the VN and it doesn't matter.
Feb 1, 2015 8:23 PM

Sep 2014
VN -> Zero

Fate VN -> UBW Anime -> HF Movie -> Zero
Feb 1, 2015 9:48 PM

Apr 2014
i'm not planning on getting extremely into this series, i just want to watch it so i know why everyone likes it so much. definitely not reading the novels or playing any games. what order do i go by?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2015 10:00 PM

Oct 2014
owlpoop said:
i'm not planning on getting extremely into this series, i just want to watch it so i know why everyone likes it so much. definitely not reading the novels or playing any games. what order do i go by?

Doesn't really matter, it sounds like you're not going to want to wait until 2016+ to watch Zero so you might as well just watch Zero.
Feb 1, 2015 11:08 PM

Nov 2014
Many people said that I should start from remake F/SN then go for F/Zero. I am reading more and more posts about it and I am also more confused. Damn. :D
Feb 1, 2015 11:13 PM

Oct 2014
dvn said:
Many people said that I should start from remake F/SN then go for F/Zero. I am reading more and more posts about it and I am also more confused. Damn. :D

Fate/Stay Night is a VN with three routes. Fate -> Unlimited Blade Works -> Heaven's Feel.

Fate has an adaptation but it's bad and should not be watched first since it spoils Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel.

Watching Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel before Zero is optimal if you don't want spoilers.

Unfortunately Heaven's Feel probably won't be completed until 2016+ so most will recommend either reading the VN then watching Zero, or watch UBW then Zero.

Anything that doesn't involve reading/watching Heaven's Feel prior to Zero will spoil a majority of the twists in the route.
nocorrasFeb 1, 2015 11:18 PM
Feb 1, 2015 11:20 PM

Nov 2014
[quote=nocorras]
dvn said:
Unfortunately Heaven's Feel probably won't be completed until 2016+ so most will recommend either reading the VN then watching Zero, or watch UBW then Zero.

Anything that doesn't involve reading/watching Heaven's Feel first will spoil a majority of the twists in the route.

VN is a short from visual novel? It's a type of computer game (text one), am I right? I am pretty new to anime.

Also thanks for fast and clear answer! Will I lose much if I skip Heaven's Feel?
Feb 1, 2015 11:23 PM

Oct 2014
dvn said:
nocorras said:

VN is a short from visual novel? It's a type of computer game (text one), am I right? I am pretty new to anime.

Also thanks for fast and clear answer! Will I lose much if I skip Heaven's Feel?

Yes, it's a game with text, music, and primarily static graphics. Heaven's Feel is the route that explains a lot of stuff about the universe of Fate Stay Night. Also you cannot fully understand the end of Fate/Zero without Heaven's Feel knowledge.

I should note I didn't mean Heaven's Feel should be watched first, I meant prior to Zero and I edited it in the other post.
nocorrasFeb 1, 2015 11:26 PM
Feb 1, 2015 11:48 PM

May 2014
If you ever plan on maybe someday reading a visual novel, just read the FSN VN then watch Zero, Zero's a prequel, I guarantee you're going to enjoy it that much more.

It's a bit wordy but FSN been a good 1st VN for heaps of people.

buut..

If you just want to watch anime go for Zero, no-ones going to wait for the HF adaptation just to watch Zero.
Feb 2, 2015 12:36 AM

Nov 2014
Thank you again for answer. I will try to get FSN VN and start from it. It will be new experience for me. :)
Feb 2, 2015 3:44 AM

Apr 2014
why does everything have to be so complicated??? geez what is with these 10000 routes
Feb 2, 2015 3:46 AM

Aug 2014
Optimally (anime only);
F/SN UBW-->F/SN HF-->F/Z
Feb 2, 2015 7:43 AM

Nov 2013
owlpoop said:
why does everything have to be so complicated??? geez what is with these 10000 routes
But it's not.

You watch F/SN before F/Z because of spoilers. If you don't care about spoilers then watch in whatever order you want.

It's that simple.
Feb 2, 2015 3:34 PM

Apr 2014
StrayBotato said:
owlpoop said:
But it's not.

You watch F/SN before F/Z because of spoilers. If you don't care about spoilers then watch in whatever order you want.

It's that simple.

but there isn't only 2 seasons, there's like 1000. what is the exact order I follow?
Feb 2, 2015 4:12 PM

Oct 2014
Feb 2, 2015 4:14 PM

Aug 2009
Feb 2, 2015 8:15 PM

Apr 2014
Most important fact to know: F/Z was a prequel made after F/SN and expects F/SN knowledge for full enjoyment, though it's still amazing standalone.

Now with this being said, if you ever plan on reading the VN or care about maximizing you experience with the franchise, then you'll save F/Z for after you either:

-Read the F/SN VN
OR
-Watch the UBW anime and HF movies

But if you don't care, then you can do as you please. Though, keep in mind that if you watch F/Z first, don't expect F/SN to be a "F/Z 2" and that you'll have some plot points (particularly for HF) spoiled for you.
Feb 3, 2015 6:42 AM

Nov 2013
ZeroDragon said:
Most important fact to know: F/Z was a prequel made after F/SN and expects F/SN knowledge for full enjoyment, though it's still amazing standalone.

Now with this being said, if you ever plan on reading the VN or care about maximizing you experience with the franchise, then you'll save F/Z for after you either:

-Read the F/SN VN
OR
-Watch the UBW anime and HF movies

But if you don't care, then you can do as you please. Though, keep in mind that if you watch F/Z first, don't expect F/SN to be a "F/Z 2" and that you'll have some plot points (particularly for HF) spoiled for you.
While the effort you put into this post is appreciated, this is just making it complicated again. The way SpaceHamster put it is best, if one is interested in more details your handy FAQ already got that covered.
Feb 3, 2015 1:44 PM

Sep 2014
Something something spoonfeeding something something

Its like a tech support job....
Feb 6, 2015 8:39 AM

Jul 2007
This thread almost gave me an aneurysm.
mayukachan said:
nocorras said:

Ignorance of being spoiled does not mean you are not spoiled.

Deserada said:
Having seen everything by air date, I can assure you that you will not be confused if you do the same.

Except that you won't still understand ANYTHING in second half of Zero and you will be completely spoiled for every mystery and plot point of UBW and Heaven's Feel.
Feb 6, 2015 8:18 PM

Apr 2014
CookingPriest said:
This thread almost gave me an aneurysm.
mayukachan said:

Ignorance of being spoiled does not mean you are not spoiled.

Deserada said:

Except that you won't still understand ANYTHING in second half of Zero and you will be completely spoiled for every mystery and plot point of UBW and Heaven's Feel.

CG stop being a boogeyman lol. Speaking from personal experience, they won't know what they don't know, but they will manage to understand just enough to make it not feel like anything is missing. We've already given our warnings. If they want to spoil parts of F/SN for themselves, then that's their choice.
Feb 7, 2015 4:03 AM

Jul 2007
Just don't blame me when they bitch that "end of Zero made no sense and was anticlimatic" or when they come to FSN threads and spoils hit unaware and talk on how it fsn is simply a recap.
Feb 7, 2015 5:25 AM

Aug 2009
CookingPriest said:
Just don't blame me when they bitch that "end of Zero made no sense and was anticlimatic" or when they come to FSN threads and spoils hit unaware and talk on how it fsn is simply a recap.
I dont bitch about people being retards.
Feb 7, 2015 6:02 AM

Aug 2014
lmao
No life like the Fai life.
and thank god for that, I couldn't handle any more CG's on his level
Feb 7, 2015 10:48 AM

Apr 2014
SpaceHamster said:
owlpoop said:

but there isn't only 2 seasons, there's like 1000. what is the exact order I follow?

If you don't care about spoilers and don't want to wait until 2016+ for the HF movies go:

F/Z -> UBW -> HF

If you care about spoilers:

UBW -> HF -> F/Z

Link for animes on MAL:

F/Z

UBW

Heavens Feel

thanks, this post makes most sense. it might seem stupid to everyone who has already watched the fate series, but I haven't so I have no idea what most of you are talking about

More topics from this board

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Fate/zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 1, 2011

698 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 9, 1:25 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM

» Im about to start this but confused

TabutcuEmmi - Feb 7

44 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Feb 10, 3:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.