Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 30, 2015 12:42 PM

May 2014
I watched the 4 episodes and for me the series is good if you like moe moe .
Why people are hating this so much ???
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 30, 2015 1:09 PM
Mar 2012
Stop caring about other people's opinions.
Jan 30, 2015 4:24 PM

Jun 2013
1) Abyssal fleet are kinda portrayed as the US, Japanese / Germans are portrayed as the good guys

2) Overused CGI effects / logic of turning arrows into planes

3) Hypes for this anime is huge so they come thinking it would be good (without knowing this anime was actually made for the fans and those 2.5 mil players, and not for casual anime viewers)

4) people can't stand the moe

Jan 30, 2015 4:33 PM
Jul 2018
Can't stand the moe.
Jan 30, 2015 4:46 PM

Aug 2008
Alexlung said:
1) Abyssal fleet are kinda portrayed as the US, Japanese / Germans are portrayed as the good guys

Is this really why people are hating? lmao
Jan 30, 2015 4:51 PM

Oct 2014
Yea the first complaint sounds a bit shallow... like saying I watch war movies but only if our side is shown being benevolent/good and kicking ass.

Not like Hiroshima happened...
Jan 30, 2015 4:52 PM

Feb 2013
WuBoyBR said:
I watched the 4 episodes and for me the series is good if you like moe moe .
Why people are hating this so much ???

Because now is cool to hate on moe moe.

Jan 30, 2015 5:20 PM

Nov 2012
Alexlung said:

3) Hypes for this anime is huge so they come thinking it would be good (without knowing this anime was actually made for the fans and those 2.5 mil players, and not for casual anime viewers)

4) people can't stand the moe

Reason 1 is nonexistent imo. It's a huge stretch to make that claim about the abyssal fleet representing the allied forces with little evidence.

Reason 3 is the big one for all the incoming hate. Kancolle is gaining popularity from anime sites and stuff like danbooru where people are constantly exposed to their fan art. Then, it attracts people who know nothing about the game into this anime that solely caters to the fans which makes them feel disappointed about the hype when they become unattached to the show.
Jan 30, 2015 5:25 PM

Oct 2012
I've never played the game, so my opinion is based entirely on what I watched.

I can appreciate moe when in a good slice of life show (which don't really need a story, it's just pure enjoyment based on characters) or when it compliments a well-made anime.
This adaptation is neither of those things, though. It tries to have a story, (CG) action and some light-hearted parts. All of them come off as mediocre and nothing more though.
Not to mention the fact that it all feels pretty ridiculous. Arrows turning into airplanes and battleship girls all just feels like a very silly concept being handled like a serious one.

Alexlung said:

While I can't see myself rooting for WWII-era Imperial Japan, this setting never gave off much of an Allies-Axis war vibe really. The "good guys" are Japanese, sure, but the "bad guys" are just silent enemies that aren't show as much more than an evil opponent.
Besides, everyone's view of war differs based on their part in it. Japanese people will be naturally bias towards their nation, just like Americans and the British will see themselves as righteous and wholly good.
Either way, anime set in a fictional setting like this had little to do with real history.
Jan 30, 2015 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
The reason why this anime is really hated (particularly those outside of Japan), is because, as many people mentioned, it is really pandering to the Kancolle fanbase who are familiar with the source material while alienating most of the casual anime viewers.

It also doesn't help to note that most of the characterization and writing happens to be very bad by slice of life standards.

Of course, it's more in the lines of "so bad, it's good" area. People are actually enjoying this anime because the anime happens to be that terrible.

It also doesn't help the moe girls and lolis are absolutely hated in the American anime fanbase. In fact, I can easily site Black Bullet from the spring 2014 anime season had establish the anime trend in America where the fandom more hostile towards anything moe or loli. On the other hand, I can also site Haikyuu!! and Free! where the trends are more favorable towards bishonens and sports anime in America. If you ask me, Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! is WAY more liked in the American fanbase than Kancolle.
Jan 30, 2015 7:50 PM

Aug 2013
Currently, it's just an average show with "hate" that is mostly legitimate criticism.
Jan 30, 2015 7:54 PM

Dec 2012
Didn't even notice the hate. It's pretty average so far.
Jan 30, 2015 7:55 PM

Dec 2013
Don't have a formed opinion yet, the CG is really jarring though.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 30, 2015 8:03 PM

Dec 2014
that what i`m thinking about
i think the anime is good
there's not a lot anime like that i mean guns and whatever (girls)
i just love it and the character so cute

@WuBoyBR i have to say to you something,,, just don't care about people who hate the anime for stupid thing.
Jan 30, 2015 9:19 PM

Sep 2013
Episode 3
Jan 30, 2015 9:33 PM

Mar 2014
One more factor I've heard is that apparently fans of the game are upset because the Admiral is a complete idiot and a terrible player who makes n00b mistakes, badly wastes his resources, and is constantly sending his ships out on missions they aren't suited for.

Now personally, I'm rather enjoying KanColle. I don't give two flips about the game (never played it, never will), but the anime is entertaining and has a sort of goofy charm to it that makes it easy to watch, and it's been much more accessible so far than what I was worried about. It'll never be mistaken for a classic and it isn't buy-worthy IMO, but it's a perfectly fine streaming series as long as you aren't one of the people who's taking it way too seriously.
Jan 30, 2015 9:33 PM

Nov 2011
I really wanna play the game
Hate Keeps me warm
Jan 30, 2015 11:28 PM

Aug 2008
I think I've just gotten tired of most moe anime, lol.

I don't know, something of this show just isn't right. It's supposed to be about war... yet, you have all these perfectly manicured little girls fighting. They wouldn't last in a real war.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jan 30, 2015 11:30 PM

Nov 2008
I'm hating it because there is no english game....

nah, the show is entertaining.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jan 31, 2015 1:44 AM
Jun 2009
Honestly, even I, who like Kancolle and will keep watching it no matter what, think that this anime is bad. First, the animation and product value are certainly bad. The CG scenes have low quality compare the CG scenes from other anime such as Sidonia. The battles are slow and boring, except the one in the second episode. The choreography is just so-so. Second, the plot and story are both simple and predictable. It's nothing extraordinary or interesting in anyway. Kisaragi's death is painfully predictable and obvious with a ton of flags she carried and that's the only twist so far in 4 episodes, not enough to change anything. For many people, it's another show with even lower quality than GuP or Upotte!. For me, I watch it just because I have fapped to many Kantai doujin and I have took a liking to it.

The good thing is the anime is a good adaptation of the game. However, I am sure that most of the viewer have never played game and all of the references that can make a Kancolle player chuckles will be ignored.

With that said, I can only give this anime 7/10 at most despite my liking for Kancolle.
Jan 31, 2015 2:05 AM
Nov 2014
kinisis said:
I can appreciate moe when in a good slice of life show (which don't really need a story, it's just pure enjoyment based on characters) or when it compliments a well-made anime. This adaptation is neither of those things, though. It tries to have a story, (CG) action and some light-hearted parts. All of them come off as mediocre and nothing more though. Not to mention the fact that it all feels pretty ridiculous. Arrows turning into airplanes and battleship girls all just feels like a very silly concept being handled like a serious one.

This quote has every reason you need, OP.
Jan 31, 2015 2:28 AM

Sep 2014
If People Hate this then they should have just DROPPED it from the start.
Jan 31, 2015 3:11 AM
Sep 2013
But Kancolle's Kongou is better than the one from Arpeggio.
Jan 31, 2015 10:13 AM
Dec 2013
Well, to be fair, the game has references to US/Allied units, including IJN naming conventions, such as Avenger, Helldiver, and Hellcat aircraft and katakana ship class naming, and the calibers/technical specifications of some of the weapons being used, such as 5", 8", 12", and 16" guns, and 21" torpedoes. However, they avoid delving into visual likenesses and mix the combination of loadouts to not match specific ships, and include some IJN types like hybrid aviation battleships.
Feb 3, 2015 4:15 AM

Aug 2013
It's so simple. There's no fleet girls from Allied side..xD
Feb 4, 2015 7:44 AM
Oct 2012
My theories on why people don't like KanColle.

1. (Japanese) hype: Even before KanColle came out, there was huge media attention around it. I remember this anime being hyped up since September last year. Undoubetedly, the players of the game were excited, and that spilled out until it reached other anime fans, who had the expectation KanColle was going to be Anime of the Year material. It isn't, and that's why people are hating on it because they feel it was overhyped.

2. Messing with serious themes: War is hell. We all should know that by now. I guess when people see something as serious at war being taken kind of lightly, it annoys them. While the war against the Abyssals is still taken kind of seriously, outside of it shows light-hearted slice of life scenes that contrast the battles.

3. Moe because apparently cute things are bad: Western anime fans just don't really seem to like moe. So cute girls fighting in a war is instantly bad.

4. Lack of story: I don't know what kind of story people were expecting out of a free-to-play browser game, but not having a plot in an action/sci-fi anime is bad it seems.

5. Ridiculous concept: Okay, yes, the concept is ridiculous if you look at it at face value. You kind of have to turn your mind off to the fact that these girls are carrying cannons into battle with them, and arrows turn into planes.

That's why I think people don't like KanColle. I'm personally enjoying it. I was enjoying it even before I became a player of the game (after episode 3). As long as people do their research and stop buying into the hype all the time, people probably won't be disappointed as much. I've seen it happen way too much in video games...
Feb 4, 2015 7:51 AM

Dec 2013
First and second eps were kinda good. After those it got boring ad cringeworthy. Meh
Feb 4, 2015 7:59 AM
Mar 2011
all game adations are made for fans of the game
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 4, 2015 10:33 AM
Apr 2008
Episode 3, that's why.

And yes I do play the game and I would still rate this as average.
Feb 4, 2015 10:39 AM
Jul 2018
Smashking said:

1. (Japanese) hype: Even before KanColle came out, there was huge media attention around it. I remember this anime being hyped up since September last year. Undoubetedly, the players of the game were excited, and that spilled out until it reached other anime fans, who had the expectation KanColle was going to be Anime of the Year material. It isn't, and that's why people are hating on it because they feel it was overhyped.

2. Messing with serious themes: War is hell. We all should know that by now. I guess when people see something as serious at war being taken kind of lightly, it annoys them. While the war against the Abyssals is still taken kind of seriously, outside of it shows light-hearted slice of life scenes that contrast the battles.

3. Moe because apparently cute things are bad: Western anime fans just don't really seem to like moe. So cute girls fighting in a war is instantly bad. And the western fanbase is known to hate loli since a good number of destroyers are lolis

4. Lack of story: I don't know what kind of story people were expecting out of a free-to-play browser game, but not having a plot in an action/sci-fi anime is bad it seems.

5. Ridiculous concept: Okay, yes, the concept is ridiculous if you look at it at face value. You kind of have to turn your mind off to the fact that these girls are carrying cannons into battle with them, and arrows turn into planes.

That's why I think people don't like KanColle. I'm personally enjoying it. I was enjoying it even before I became a player of the game (after episode 3). As long as people do their research and stop buying into the hype all the time, people probably won't be disappointed as much. I've seen it happen way too much in video games...

Fixed for you. Also, the anime is really pandering to the fanbase while alienating the casual viewers, which is a big no-no.
Feb 4, 2015 10:42 AM

Aug 2008
Because animation is horrid, CGI overused, character models poorly done, MC sucks, it's full of the worst anime cliches imaginable and overall just bland and poorly done. Seriously, it's really simple: because it's just bad.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Feb 4, 2015 11:09 AM

Mar 2013
If it was that bad then drop it and move on. The fact that hater still keep posting mean they are clearly troll.
Feb 4, 2015 11:25 AM
Apr 2008
zetsubousei_hero said:
If it was that bad then drop it and move on. The fact that hater still keep posting mean they are clearly troll.

I have a quote for you

Beat said:
I hate anime and even though I truly hate, like, Hayao Miyazaki's work, I can recognize how great anime is just by the amount of money it earns. I think you should do things you like, but you also need to be open enough to recognize the things you think you don't
Feb 4, 2015 11:31 AM

Nov 2008
I find this series far better than idolm@ster Cinderella Girls, Kancolle has delivered nearly everything I wanted and expected (if Uzuki and the subs appear then it will be everything and I wouldn't mind some surprises as well)), it does have issues with the writing in parts and some minor issues with the CG. Cinderella Girls on the other hand, while it has it's surprises has delivered next to nothing that I've wanted when I asked for the anime back in 2012, it doesn't have my favorite girl that even got me interested in the first place (Kancolle delivered 3 already with episodes left for more), it doesn't help that half of the main cast are below average.
HoppyFeb 4, 2015 11:35 AM

Feb 4, 2015 11:43 AM

Apr 2013
Hoppy said:

It's the opposite for me.

I don't hate Kancolle but I still have mixed feelings.
Feb 4, 2015 12:20 PM
Mar 2011
Hoppy said:
I find this series far better than idolm@ster Cinderella Girls, Kancolle has delivered nearly everything I wanted and expected (if Uzuki and the subs appear then it will be everything and I wouldn't mind some surprises as well)), it does have issues with the writing in parts and some minor issues with the CG. Cinderella Girls on the other hand, while it has it's surprises has delivered next to nothing that I've wanted when I asked for the anime back in 2012, it doesn't have my favorite girl that even got me interested in the first place (Kancolle delivered 3 already with episodes left for more), it doesn't help that half of the main cast are below average.

and plus you a fan of the game annd its fine adatation over all and a more accuarte adpation than SAY FATE
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 4, 2015 5:34 PM

Mar 2014
amoex said:
zetsubousei_hero said:

I have a quote for you

Beat said:
I hate anime and even though I truly hate, like, Hayao Miyazaki's work, I can recognize how great anime is just by the amount of money it earns. I think you should do things you like, but you also need to be open enough to recognize the things you think you don't

These two quotes are completely unrelated.

The second quote is more likely to refer to acknowledging that something can be great even though you personally may loathe it with all your heart, which makes no sense given the first poster's context that people who hate it already shouldn't force themselves to watch it.

Now, as for myself, I'm a veteran Kancolle player. And yes, the anime is completely pandering to the fanbase, which includes myself. Doesn't mean I'll care, or that the producers will. In fact, they probably couldn't care less what the western anime fanbase thinks. Kancolle's primary player base is in Japan, and that's where they're pandering towards, so it makes complete sense from a business standpoint. At that point, it doesn't matter if the story is a complete mess, or if the sound is bad, or whatever the hell other complaints are had. The fanbase will probably keep watching at the end of the day and it'll sell, so all complaints are rendered moot.

That said, the plot has some issues, the CG is somewhat noticeable, the battles themselves don't stand out that much, and of course there is the dreaded moe that causes anime fans to scream in undying agony and horror as if they won't survive the impending moepocalypse. Unfortunately, I've seen worse in the story department and elsewhere, and CG hasn't turned me off ever because I think it's a perfectly stupid reason to bias myself against something that I might find enjoyable.

And I am enjoying Kancolle. I even got a close-up cameo shot of two of my favorite destroyers in episode 5. I can understand hatred of some of the mechanics of the show, because it isn't a stellar, thought-provoking production at all. But at the end of the day, I doubt the producers or the fanbase will really care.
Feb 4, 2015 6:26 PM

Mar 2012
Because 80% Anime watchers came from the USA.
the Abyssal Ships were portrayed as U.S. Ships and they find it offensive.

The Overhypeness is alienating the entire anime community then it got hated and criticized a lot.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Feb 4, 2015 6:33 PM
Nov 2010
FireKiller87 said:
amoex said:

I have a quote for you

The second quote is more likely to refer to acknowledging that something can be great even though you personally may loathe it with all your heart, which makes no sense given the first poster's context that people who hate it already shouldn't force themselves to watch it.

Now, as for myself, I'm a veteran Kancolle player. And yes, the anime is completely pandering to the fanbase, which includes myself. Doesn't mean I'll care, or that the producers will. In fact, they probably couldn't care less what the western anime fanbase thinks. Kancolle's primary player base is in Japan, and that's where they're pandering towards, so it makes complete sense from a business standpoint. At that point, it doesn't matter if the story is a complete mess, or if the sound is bad, or whatever the hell other complaints are had. The fanbase will probably keep watching at the end of the day and it'll sell, so all complaints are rendered moot.

That said, the plot has some issues, the CG is somewhat noticeable, the battles themselves don't stand out that much, and of course there is the dreaded moe that causes anime fans to scream in undying agony and horror as if they won't survive the impending moepocalypse. Unfortunately, I've seen worse in the story department and elsewhere, and CG hasn't turned me off ever because I think it's a perfectly stupid reason to bias myself against something that I might find enjoyable.

And I am enjoying Kancolle. I even got a close-up cameo shot of two of my favorite destroyers in episode 5. I can understand hatred of some of the mechanics of the show, because it isn't a stellar, thought-provoking production at all. But at the end of the day, I doubt the producers or the fanbase will really care.

Nice try but spoken from an American KC fan speculating at the reaction of the Japanese player base. If only you knew what the reaction's been like...Oh, maybe check the BD numbers...
Feb 4, 2015 6:45 PM
Mar 2011
Zeta986 said:
Because 80% Anime watchers came from the USA.
the Abyssal Ships were portrayed as U.S. Ships and they find it offensive.

The Overhypeness is alienating the entire anime community then it got hated and criticized a lot.

thats bull shit

Feb 4, 2015 6:59 PM
Apr 2008

Not really, it's the case of give credits where it is due. Even if we hate it, there's something in it that we like, hence many resort to the "It's good because it's bad" excuse.

As for the anime, the main reason it was hated (In Japan at least) because of the inconsistency in every aspect. They fixed "history", they "changed" game mechanic, heck, even the ship's characteristics got changed.

If they had focused on one of those it would have been fine, instead they try to do everything, and ends up meh at it as a result.
Feb 4, 2015 8:59 PM
Dec 2013
It's entertainment. You can't please everyone.
Feb 4, 2015 9:40 PM

Oct 2010
Simple. Because this adaption was made for people who play the game. Someone who has no idea what was going on, let alone appreciate the quirks of each individual ship girl, would obviously find every episode repetitive and repulsive, every animated game mechanism obnoxious and stupid, and every character interaction bland and redundant by default. Though, I certainly hope they're not hating because the abyssal ships are thought of as U.S. ships during WWII. But maybe I'm expecting too much from 'murica (and maybe 'ropa).

I do agree with one thing though: Fubuki's a lame MC. Perhaps directors thought that by have a destroyer as MC, there can be some character development, but really I'm really just hoping they bring out the Himes and the abyssalized Kisaragi-chan.

On the other hand, Kadokawa certainly doesn't give a fuck what the western weabbase, of which less than 5% actually buy BDs, thinks. Pre-orders are through the roof from just the targeted consumers.
Feb 4, 2015 10:28 PM
Feb 2014
Smashking said:

3. Moe because apparently cute things are bad: Western anime fans just don't really seem to like moe. So cute girls fighting in a war is instantly bad.

1. it's quite a while i hear about kancolle (and read the ero-doujin), but i don't have big expectation. but even with moderate expectation this anime is quite disappointing

2. yes, this show failed to build the atmosphere of war. strike witches is better than this anime in this part, even GuP that reduce war to sport still make me excited. the enemies is too weak so far. it's ok to have light and funny SoL part, but please balance it with good battle

3. me no problem with moe

4. yes, pretty much this, the use of actual historical event timeline help a bit in battle part. but in SoL part it's pretty meh. imo the only one that get chara development is the mc (if you can call that chara development), but the mc isn't interesting for my taste (for now)

5. actually i don't have problem with weird idea, i watch GuP, strike witches, arpeggio. but this anime (maybe the game) reduce the warship ('s weapon and armor) glory to almost nothing. and almost no naval tactic too

kinisis said:

I can appreciate moe when in a good slice of life show (which don't really need a story, it's just pure enjoyment based on characters) or when it compliments a well-made anime.
This adaptation is neither of those things, though. It tries to have a story, (CG) action and some light-hearted parts. All of them come off as mediocre and nothing more though.

yep this
Feb 5, 2015 10:52 AM
Mar 2014
I think the hate for this anime comes from the hate that originated from other anime of the sort like strike witches people watch this and start to compare it to other anime. They loss track of the story and what this show is all about because there too busy trying to find it's faults.
Feb 5, 2015 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
From my point of view: the anime was overhyped as fuck by the players, making the non-players think that it is some sort of a godly written masterpiece which raised their expectations way too high, even though the players(those that i encountered of various sites) had shit expectation in mind, including me.

So when the anime aired it was actually better then what a lot of players thought and was a lot worse then non-players had hoped for, making the players praising it for being good, and non-players who were expecting some masterpiece talk shit about it for not meeting the way too high expectations.
Feb 5, 2015 2:30 PM

Jun 2008
Okashi_sama said:
So when the anime aired it was actually better then what a lot of players thought and was a lot worse then non-players had hoped for, making the players praising it for being good, and non-players who were expecting some masterpiece talk shit about it for not meeting the way too high expectations.

But there exist another group of "haters" from the side of players, the "That's-not-how-Imagined-that-character-to-be" Group.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Feb 5, 2015 2:50 PM

Jul 2014
kaimax said:
Okashi_sama said:

But there exist another group of "haters" from the side of players, the "That's-not-how-Imagined-that-character-to-be" Group.

Is that so?! Well, i wouldn't really know, i just said what i saw. I'm not really active in the KanColle community, i only talk to one person about it who is a player, the other few i talk with about KanColle are non-players who have mixed opinions about the show.

I'm not even that much of hardcore player as well.

Now, back to your point: I assume it's natural, it's not like all players had the same expectations, so some of them are most likely disappointed. but for me, a casual player, i'm quite happy with the adaption so far.
Feb 5, 2015 6:22 PM

Apr 2007
LucasRTS said:
Because it's shit, overhyped, weak plot, weak characters and there's huge amounts of moe crap.
Overall it's a piece of garbage. 2/10
And I don't want to drop anything or put on-hold so I need to finish this trash.
Pretty much a otaku pandering anime.

Bad troll is bad.

Also, most of the negativity for the franchise stems from nothing more than hating on something that is popular. Their feed gets filled with it, so they develop an instant hate because whatever their favorite thing may be is getting overrun by Kantai. The same thing happened with Sword Art Online. The show was overhyped and overhated, but was fine.

Always remember that instinctively hating on anything that is popular will make you appear cool and emphasis the obvious standard that your taste are superior to the general masses.
ThatRanManFeb 5, 2015 6:29 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kantai Collection: KanColle Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2015

115 by Foreall908 »»
Sep 5, 2023 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kantai Collection: KanColle Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 11, 2015

130 by Deazu »»
Aug 1, 2023 6:53 PM

Poll: » Kantai Collection: KanColle Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2015

119 by Deazu »»
Aug 1, 2023 2:02 PM

Poll: » Kantai Collection: KanColle Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2015

168 by Deazu »»
Jul 30, 2023 1:44 PM

Poll: » Kantai Collection: KanColle Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2015

261 by Deazu »»
Jul 30, 2023 12:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.