Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 »
Sep 20, 2018 12:21 AM

Mar 2009
Felt the message at the end was kind of shitty tbqh. It seems they only ever make wrong calls.

Know they're trying to add 'complexity' to it, but it's like dude how many souls have you condemned because you're shit at people. By their own metric, Decim would be the most deserving of hell in the whole world.
ClaptrapSep 20, 2018 12:24 AM
Oct 26, 2018 2:44 PM

Jan 2010
The game was rigged. And awkward.

At the very least, I'm starting to understand the show a bit. Rather than focusing on delivering karmic justice from my original impression, Death Parade seems to be more about getting people to come to terms with their deaths. From there, it can either be a relatively pleasant process of acceptance, a struggle due to internal strife, or outright resistance in the form of stubbornness or villainy.
Nov 6, 2018 9:54 PM
Jan 2016
Wow, normally i dont coment besides in airing, but this episode i had too!

Last part was really funny, it is really awesome how dont they give a f*** if they are dead, they have other priorities like take a bath or do a idol show!

Other watching was awesome! Ginti's reactions all over the episode was really nice!
Dec 21, 2018 5:12 PM
Jul 2017
Now that's how you balance comedic elements in a dark story. I also really love the character designs and the OST so far.
Mar 16, 2019 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
I think judging people is just wrong. It's good to enforce societal norms so that the society doesn't fall apart, but in this show, there're no beneficial norms to enforce. So what's the point of judgement? Not to mention the reincarnated souls will end up as totally different people anyways, right? With different personalities (maybe) and born to a different environment (probably); an initially reincarnated soul might be sent to the void the next time just because of an unlucky setup (extreme poverty, abusive parents, etc.), and vice versa, a damned soul could've ended up having a nice life on the second try, and behave accordingly, if it wasn't sent to the void.
Plus, as was stated in the previous episodes, the judges do make mistakes and they don't have access to the souls' thoughts - they only see the outside (even in the memories, they can't see the mental processes, only the outcome - the actual deeds) - so how can that be a fair judgement? The woman in this episode clearly wasn't evil, she was horrified by her own act of violence and demanded ambulance for the guy; she behaved like a jerk, sure, but given her past experiences, that was the only guaranteed way of survival she knew. I really love how she said she had been tricked over and over again in her life, and then Decim tricked her once again, praising/soothing her and then sending her to the void. Sends off a wonderful message.^^

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the show. But it's screwed up nonetheless. I really do hope that's the point - that we're supposed to see how wrong it is.

Edit: It also doesn't help, as I've just realized, that the judgement is passed by Decim and Decim alone. No one could be 100 % objective even if they had access to the soul's thoughts, which Decim doesn't, and since his black-haired and more empathetic assistant just stands aside and doesn't voice her opinion until after it's too late to change anything, the chances for a proper judgement become even slimmer.
removed-userMar 16, 2019 11:55 AM
Apr 6, 2019 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
pometlo said:
I think judging people is just wrong. It's good to enforce societal norms so that the society doesn't fall apart, but in this show, there're no beneficial norms to enforce. So what's the point of judgement? Not to mention the reincarnated souls will end up as totally different people anyways, right? With different personalities (maybe) and born to a different environment (probably); an initially reincarnated soul might be sent to the void the next time just because of an unlucky setup (extreme poverty, abusive parents, etc.), and vice versa, a damned soul could've ended up having a nice life on the second try, and behave accordingly, if it wasn't sent to the void.
Plus, as was stated in the previous episodes, the judges do make mistakes and they don't have access to the souls' thoughts - they only see the outside (even in the memories, they can't see the mental processes, only the outcome - the actual deeds) - so how can that be a fair judgement? The woman in this episode clearly wasn't evil, she was horrified by her own act of violence and demanded ambulance for the guy; she behaved like a jerk, sure, but given her past experiences, that was the only guaranteed way of survival she knew. I really love how she said she had been tricked over and over again in her life, and then Decim tricked her once again, praising/soothing her and then sending her to the void. Sends off a wonderful message.^^

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the show. But it's screwed up nonetheless. I really do hope that's the point - that we're supposed to see how wrong it is.

Edit: It also doesn't help, as I've just realized, that the judgement is passed by Decim and Decim alone. No one could be 100 % objective even if they had access to the soul's thoughts, which Decim doesn't, and since his black-haired and more empathetic assistant just stands aside and doesn't voice her opinion until after it's too late to change anything, the chances for a proper judgement become even slimmer.

Fair enough. However, I don't think the judgement is pointless. Because there has to be something to show stories of people. For me, Death Parade's original starting point is that they want show us those tragic or interesting lives. So, the best way is the afterlife. Also the game concept is a unique approach. I think we don't need to pay attention to their judgement.
Apr 6, 2019 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
Okarin_Kyouma said:
pometlo said:

Fair enough. However, I don't think the judgement is pointless. Because there has to be something to show stories of people. For me, Death Parade's original starting point is that they want show us those tragic or interesting lives. So, the best way is the afterlife. Also the game concept is a unique approach. I think we don't need to pay attention to their judgement.

Sure, you don't need to pay attention to it, it's up to you what you decide to take from a story. (Why would you ignore it if you consider it important yourself, though?)
But given the Death Parade's concept, I think (and the later episodes pretty much confirmed it to me) that the judging part is important. If it wasn't and the creators just meant to show us the personal stories of the individual characters, wouldn't it be better to, you know, really just show them (such as it's brilliantly done in Monster, which presents fragments of its characters' past and always manages to tell so much in such limited space; or in Haikyuu, where the opposing teams' humanity and dreams get fleshed out so vividly it's not clear whom to cheer for anymore) without shoving it to our faces that their lives were wrong or right? (And thus diverting our attention to the un/fairness of the judgement rather than the life itself?) If I was in the creators' shoes and didn't want to stress the judgment bit, I wouldn't have built up a whole plot based on it.
removed-userApr 6, 2019 3:57 PM
Apr 7, 2019 12:24 AM
Jul 2018
pometlo said:
Okarin_Kyouma said:

Sure, you don't need to pay attention to it, it's up to you what you decide to take from a story. (Why would you ignore it if you consider it important yourself, though?)
But given the Death Parade's concept, I think (and the later episodes pretty much confirmed it to me) that the judging part is important. If it wasn't and the creators just meant to show us the personal stories of the individual characters, wouldn't it be better to, you know, really just show them (such as it's brilliantly done in Monster, which presents fragments of its characters' past and always manages to tell so much in such limited space; or in Haikyuu, where the opposing teams' humanity and dreams get fleshed out so vividly it's not clear whom to cheer for anymore) without shoving it to our faces that their lives were wrong or right? (And thus diverting our attention to the un/fairness of the judgement rather than the life itself?) If I was in the creators' shoes and didn't want to stress the judgment bit, I wouldn't have built up a whole plot based on it.

You're right. Of course, the judging part is nearly the entire story and important to me, either. But, as I mentioned the previous post, we don't need to pay attention to their judgement. To me, in fact, the show leave visitors' judgement to us. I mean, Decim's conclusions are unclear and we don't need to pay attention to them. Like you said, no one could be 100 % objective. So, I think that way. In Death Billiards (parent story or alternative version), my idea is more acceptable. Because we even don't know why the visitor would go to hell(or the vain) in DB.

In my opinion, the biggest flaw in this show is the background story. Like I said, to me, initially the creators wanted to just show the personal stories of the visitors. But they were a lot of moral inquiries in these stories. And they needed a background story to show them. However, with only 12 episodes, this is impossible. So, the characters remained greatly underdeveloped. Actually, I agree with you about the judgement, "the reincarnated souls will end up as totally different people anyways". Maybe I didn't pay attention because I don't believe in reincarnation. It is pointless if you don't remember your past life.
Apr 13, 2019 6:02 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode. The buildup was strong and the nuance + ambiguity was top notch. You could analyze this episode a fair amount since the writers put just enough on both characters to flesh them out believably.

Yousuke regretted not giving his stepmom's wish before killing himself. Misaki regretted not being with her children anymore. She says nothing about how she treated her manager.

So Yousuke owned up to his mistakes and Misaki didn't. That's the basis of the ruling. Even if you disagree with Decim, I think the logic makes sense.

How the hell did she bash his head in though? Does he have no situational awareness or ability to defend himself?

4/5
May 5, 2019 8:50 PM

Sep 2017
I was getting some serious #OurGuy vibes from my boy Yousuke

Another absolutely phenomenal episode. Everything about it was perfect. The voice actors did an amazing job. I felt so many emotions in this episode. This was by far my favorite episode so far. I am loving this show.
Jun 19, 2019 6:45 AM

May 2010
The woman points out the problem with this show: all he does is trick them...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 19, 2019 7:21 AM

Dec 2015
@Confucius But this part of the games concept, the idea is not to bet over the game how to hande their "soul".
Sep 22, 2019 5:50 PM
Jun 2019
ohhhhh the feels one of the few anime to make me cry
bruh
Dec 7, 2019 3:26 AM

Mar 2016
Nobody:
Arbiters: WE MUST EXTRACT THE DARKNESS FROM PEOPLE'S SOULS!!!

Dec 9, 2019 8:21 PM

Jun 2017
Damn! This episode actually made me tear up especially when Decim hugged both of them.
Mar 5, 2020 9:55 PM
Nov 2018
man seeing both of them cry was pretty sad. yousuke regretting his suicide and the mom being all over the place. understandable why mom went to hell, very bittersweet. that switch thing is a pretty big chekov's gun. also decim showing more uncertainty than before
Apr 18, 2020 4:39 AM

Jun 2017
I sincerely hope I'm suppose to reject the premise of this show. I don't know how in any world you can side with the arbiter, and I hope that you're not supposed to.
Apr 28, 2020 10:30 AM
Mar 2019
I can understand Decim's logic. Yousuke saw his mistakes at the end and knew, accepted what he did wrong. On the other hand, sure, the lady did (somewhat) cared for children. We were also shown that they all looked at her in some sort of hate?
She also shown the spiral of negligent sleeping around. I have a friend whose mom was like this having multiple siblings from other men. She passed early. My friend suffered alongside his siblings as well as his mother. All well knowing she has a choice whether or not to sleep with random men. So this one holds close to me.
May 4, 2020 8:38 PM

Apr 2020
Good but confusing episode

For me wasn't not a bit clear why she went to void and he don't, both had dificult lives, maybe because she cause suffer to other people, like her kids? I don't think so.
⬇ CLICK IT ⬇

⬆ CLICK IT ⬆
May 11, 2020 8:59 PM
May 2020
Ephayris said:
I hoped the woman to go to heaven, but it' wasn't that easy, I guess.
She didn't treat her children well. Sure, it's not easy, because she was in a bad situation, but wasn't good to treat her children like that.

I don't understand why the boy committed suicide.

the boy's condition is understandable. love deprived, gaming addict(probably) and jobless. these conditions are enough to make one suicidal
May 11, 2020 9:00 PM
May 2020
Smudy said:
I feel like Decim was very harsh in this episode and he took it too far.

how? that woman deserved to go to hell tbh. pride, ego, selfishness. dont understand why everyone felt bad for her. also, decim actually comforted her before sending her to the void.
Jun 16, 2020 6:41 PM

Dec 2018
"The departed are judged based on the lives they've lived and the degree of humanity they demonstrate during the game" Well, that's what Nona said.

It appears that Decim doesn't care about what they did in their previous lives, what matters is what they are going to do in the "extreme" situation.

The otaku got a reincarnation, even though he'll probably going to suicide again.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jun 18, 2020 9:26 AM

May 2013
It seems like Decim is testing his own judgement making skills by making use of that prop to break the joysticks. Because he made a mistake in the first episode by not being able to read the atmosphere well enough.

Not sure how I feel about this verdict, seems a bit off for some reason. Was the woman someone who would do anything to get back to her children? (to the point of ruining someone else's life for her children). I guess this probably weighed in on his decision.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 26, 2020 3:50 PM
Feb 2016
as someone who struggles with suicide, yousuke was not worthless nor he did it because of the divorce. he was tired of living and i felt that. i hate how some of you called him worthless and stupid because of his decision.
the real worthless one is misaki. she knew how it felt to be neglected and abused yet she hurt the people in her life the same way she was hurt. she became egoistic and greedy, that’s why she deserved the void. also, she neglected her children. she was after the money and fame only.
Jul 15, 2020 8:22 AM

Jan 2008
Just catching up on the anime right now and I actually liked this episode.

I think I can understand why each respective individual was voided/reincarnated.

I think there was quite a bit of subtly there that might have gone over people. Or perhaps my interpretation is off.

When Yousuke said he hadn't spoken to his mother in a lot time. I initially thought he was talking about the stepmom but now I believe he was talking about his real mother. The divorce, the abandonment for a young lonely self isolated child was hard and I believe he transferred his feelings about his absent mother to his stepmom. He allowed himself to dwell in his misery of being rejected by his bio mother so distanced himself.

His suicide was a man low and bitter about his own self worth and perceived lack of love. (His father seemed very absent in the flashbacks) and sometimes in that moment of loss you do things you can't take back, like suicide.

However I think on the revelation of his death, he regretted both the act and that he didn't open up to a mother who did love him and perhaps wanted to try again and rekindle that relationship. He seemed repentant.

On the other hand Misaki came across cold and selfish in a cruel way.
I'm wondering if the man who slapped and left her first, was an abusive man or maybe her own pettiness caused him to lash out and leave? Not that he's a good person, he abandoned his kids too. So probably just a bit of a douche. But Misaki did seem far more unhappy that he left her then the kids. In fact it came across that she treated her kids carelessly because their father did abandon her.

Another thing I picked up that I think others might not was her absolutely love for her youngest son. In the arcade fight she called her children weak but gushed when it was just the boy. I'm assuming after a fling of affairs where she couldn't care less about her kids (Flashback shows her disinterest whilst the older children care for a younger crying sibling and where she blatantly makes out with the kids asleep in the other room.)

I'm also going on the assumption that hallway guy is the one she was talking to on the phone and the father of her youngest. A man who stayed with her. So of course she'll love his kid and not the kids of the one who left her. Her entire being relied on her selfish desires and whims. And in her crying realisation of her death she says she was almost finally happy. Which I took to mean was due to new son and boyfriend.

In the end her own selfish desires, her neglect of her older children and her inability to feel regret for the harm she caused those around her. I think that sealed her fate of oblivion. Even in spite of the revelation of her death she cared only about herself and not the harm she did.

My summary;

Yousuke regretted what he wasted his life on and wanted to make amends. (If returned he would want to change)

Misaki only regretted dying before fulfilling the desires she already harboured before death. (If returned she would just continue where she left off)
Jul 20, 2020 4:18 AM

Mar 2018
Finally an episode with no forced twists.
4/5
Aug 31, 2020 2:15 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Liked the ending, but that said, I wanted to be surprised, which this episode failed to do so, like, when I first saw that woman, I already gotten the impression she was a bitch, and she was going to the void, in that sense, the episode was pretty predictable, but the ending was at least really well done.

But I was expecting more unpredictability from the anime, despite the fact, the last episode was really awesome.
Sep 1, 2020 5:34 AM

Mar 2020
another intense episode
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Sep 27, 2020 6:53 AM
Jul 2020
Awh why couldn't they have both been reincarnated??
This system is totally unfair...You think it's her fault that she had to go through all those thing?? Well in the end life should be fair.
Oct 4, 2020 6:45 AM
Aug 2020
I feel like both of them should have been sent to void!
Nov 30, 2020 3:44 AM

Apr 2020
this episode is full of emotional, regret is always at the end, and suicide does not solve any problem, it only adds pain to those around him
Dec 21, 2020 10:22 PM

Jul 2020
Yousuke didn't have as many sins compared to the woman so I understand the judgement
Jan 12, 2021 8:53 PM
Mar 2015
I dont think she went to the void bc judging by the elevator light, her light goes up and his light goes down I don’t think the mask has anything to do with it idk I’m confused with ppl affirming she went to the void 🤡
Jan 18, 2021 1:49 AM

Dec 2018
Both of them had such a hard life only to have died a terrible death.
Man, it was intense.

5/5 episode it was
Jan 18, 2021 1:53 AM

Dec 2018
kisoka said:
I dont think she went to the void bc judging by the elevator light, her light goes up and his light goes down I don’t think the mask has anything to do with it idk I’m confused with ppl affirming she went to the void 🤡

I don't think this is correct, I watched the scene again after reading your comment and I couldn't tell which went up and which went down. In the first episode, It was vaguely stated in a way that the outcomes could be determined by looking at the masks.
Feb 3, 2021 9:53 PM

Jul 2012
This episode was pretty emotional, I actually teared up a lot near the end...

Both of the players this week were victims of the circumstances they found themselves it. Both of them dealt with it in different ways. The woman channeled her pain to hurt other people whereas the otaku channeled his pain into isolation and ultimately suicide. It made sense to me that the woman would be the one to get sent to the void, because in the end it was her that brought more hurt into the world. I personally empathized with the otaku more than the woman, but both stories were pretty sad.

As with the other players in the previous games, you can't box these people into simply "good" or "bad" which seems to be what the point of the anime is thus far - morality and way people live their lives.

This makes two episodes in a row were I teared up...execution in this show is really good so far.
Mar 4, 2021 7:36 AM
Jul 2020
I personally think the mom should be reincarnated as well. Although she did some bad things she is fundamentally a nice person who was betrayed her whole life , loved her kids. She momentarily lost temper but once she came to she was more concerned about the other guys life and not her own. I actually would kind of in favour her over the nerd because while he did have bad life he himself chose to die while the mom didn't and he should be held responsible for his decision.
Mar 22, 2021 12:31 PM

Oct 2020
So this is getting better. But the new girl was acting annoying. I don't think she still understood what happens here. Last two judgements were enough clear than the first one. Though I didn't understood what was the judgement this time. It was enough complicated. And I liked that mismatched people also come here. Hope the story gets better like this. Decum was cool here this time too.

I think this is not my type of story. But I'll finish.
Apr 9, 2021 10:54 AM
Jun 2017
HybridMBL said:
The MILF's situation was definitely more complicated than Yousuke's but they both made bad decisions in life
I felt bad and didn't feel bad for both of them at the same time
in the end its all about the resolve and the sins they committed, but yes, you're right, they both were living in painful sorrow
May 24, 2021 8:06 AM

Dec 2020
that was quite an episode. both players had a rough life.

misaki got pregnant early and got married because of it, her husband turns out to be abusive and left the house, leaving her no choice but to be a hostess, she brought several men over to her house, making her pregnant and they were abusive too. she was killed by her manager that was angered from the way misaki treated her

yousuke's parents divorced when he was a kid, he became depressed because of it and couldnt accept his new mom. bored and tired of living, he comitted suicide

at the end yousuke was reincarnated and misaki was sent to the void, still dont know why so im gonna read the replies here
Jun 22, 2021 12:13 AM

Jun 2021
nice episode i really liked it.the female and male both strangers played arcade game.this episode showed so many things.animation is fantastic.the woman in episode was cheated by several man ended up pregnant gave birth to large number of children she was depressed and consumed by temper and aggressive nature.the man was otaku his parents divorced and his father married another woman he was unable to accept her without knowing he ended up suicide.
wizardevJun 22, 2021 12:20 AM
Jul 14, 2021 12:08 PM

Apr 2018
A single mom and an shut in otaku.
One got killed by someone, the other commited suicide. They both regret what they did. This episode hit me really hard for some reason. It felt way too real, when they both hugged him. That was when I really teared up. Both of them just wanted a second chance..

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 18, 2021 7:00 AM

Apr 2021
i liked this episode, even though i wasn't nearly as invested in the characters and it didn't make me feel any strong emotions like the previous ones

they both had it quite bad and hard in life, but misaki had a lot more darkness in her than yousuke

misaki was miserable, but as her life got better, she changed for worse and just wasn't nice to people

yousuke was probably traumatized by his parents' divorce and it led to him becoming a neet, he didn't see any point in his life and commited suicide.. but in the end, he didn't do anything too bad, except i guess he cut ties with his mom

at first, i actually thought that misaki's going to get reincarnated because she showed more will to live and to be there for her children while yousuke, although he burst into tears at the end, seemed not so motivated to live at first

an interesting episode overall, gonna read some more posts in this forum, maybe i'll see something i missed in the episode ^^
i wish i was a cloud
Aug 21, 2021 10:35 PM

May 2019
Worst episode.

What is the point of a random couple dying in different places?

And the episodic characters, what terrible writing. Just as like the surgery in the last episode, the "woman from tv show" and the otaku was pointless.

Im in the verge of dropping this show. Weebs are too over-fascinated with anything with dark plot i see.
Aug 24, 2021 4:42 PM
May 2021
I feel bad for both of them. But the woman kinda deserved to die for bitch slapping her manager tbh
Alex2k62Aug 24, 2021 4:47 PM
Sep 30, 2021 4:30 AM
Sep 2021
SideCharacterKal said:
A single mom and an shut in otaku.
One got killed by someone, the other commited suicide. They both regret what they did. This episode hit me really hard for some reason. It felt way too real, when they both hugged him. That was when I really teared up. Both of them just wanted a second chance..

She didn't regret what she did though, she regreted that she couldn't thrive forward for hers own selfish goals and she doesn't like to lose, so she is ready to smash otaku face against arcade without thinking and after she did so, she only realizes what she done, she probably would hit and abuse other people and the manager probably got being hit by her and abused daily by her.

She didn't even regret hers actions against manager, the thing that she didnt even mention that she wouldn't abuse other people.
Oct 10, 2021 4:16 AM

Mar 2021
i thought the lady died bc she didn't treat her kids well so they killed her

and the otaku one killed himself just bc he was bored?

nice episode overall ^^
Nov 13, 2021 3:23 AM
Feb 2020
this episode was really great !!!
Nov 19, 2021 7:48 PM

Aug 2020
This episode is really intense. Its bringing out lot of people's true color. Specially the watchers judgement. This is insane

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Nov 29, 2021 6:30 AM

Aug 2018
This was a nicely done and paced episode, definitely felt interesting troughout whole episode and the game they were chosen to play
Pages (14) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2015

521 by Seraschi »»
Apr 1, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

596 by oDaw1 »»
Mar 25, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2015

674 by Listone »»
Mar 24, 6:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.