Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion

Apr 30, 2018 6:06 AM
This episode made me cry :'(
Loved it

May 15, 2018 11:28 PM

Boring episode. Jigoku Shoujo was better than this.

Can we just call this SHIT officially? Madhouse tried to combine Jigoku Shoujo and Kaiji: Ultimate survivor and made this shit. Thanks guys.

I am terribly bored. Terribly bored.

So, woman goes to hell. Figured that out. She was a gold digger from the get go.

The part where Decim hugged them both was gay AF.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 12, 2018 3:07 AM
The woman faced unfairness in life, and dealt with it badly by shifting hurt onto other people. She slapped the assistant the same way others slapper her, to the point where it drove her to murder. If such a person is reincarnated, they'll face unfairness once again (life is unfair, no matter who you are) and again she'll deal with it badly and shift both the blame and the hurt onto others.

The son, however, was foolish. He realises his mistake almost immediately after he regains his memories - had his suicide been prevented, it was highly likely that someone could've talked some sense into him. He was a victim of his circumstances, and had he been given another chance or more time - i.e. a chance a reincarnation - it is highly likely that he could've lived a better life.

What Decim is judging isn't really whether someone deserves Heaven or Hell, he's deciding if someone should get another chance at life.

Sep 20, 2018 12:21 AM

Felt the message at the end was kind of shitty tbqh. It seems they only ever make wrong calls.

Know they're trying to add 'complexity' to it, but it's like dude how many souls have you condemned because you're shit at people. By their own metric, Decim would be the most deserving of hell in the whole world.
Modified by Claptrap, Sep 20, 2018 12:24 AM

Oct 26, 2018 2:44 PM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

The game was rigged. And awkward.

At the very least, I'm starting to understand the show a bit. Rather than focusing on delivering karmic justice from my original impression, Death Parade seems to be more about getting people to come to terms with their deaths. From there, it can either be a relatively pleasant process of acceptance, a struggle due to internal strife, or outright resistance in the form of stubbornness or villainy.

Nov 6, 2018 9:54 PM
Wow, normally i dont coment besides in airing, but this episode i had too!

Last part was really funny, it is really awesome how dont they give a f*** if they are dead, they have other priorities like take a bath or do a idol show!

Other watching was awesome! Ginti's reactions all over the episode was really nice!

Dec 21, 2018 5:12 PM
Now that's how you balance comedic elements in a dark story. I also really love the character designs and the OST so far.

Mar 16, 10:51 AM

I think judging people is just wrong. It's good to enforce societal norms so that the society doesn't fall apart, but in this show, there're no beneficial norms to enforce. So what's the point of judgement? Not to mention the reincarnated souls will end up as totally different people anyways, right? With different personalities (maybe) and born to a different environment (probably); an initially reincarnated soul might be sent to the void the next time just because of an unlucky setup (extreme poverty, abusive parents, etc.), and vice versa, a damned soul could've ended up having a nice life on the second try, and behave accordingly, if it wasn't sent to the void.
Plus, as was stated in the previous episodes, the judges do make mistakes and they don't have access to the souls' thoughts - they only see the outside (even in the memories, they can't see the mental processes, only the outcome - the actual deeds) - so how can that be a fair judgement? The woman in this episode clearly wasn't evil, she was horrified by her own act of violence and demanded ambulance for the guy; she behaved like a jerk, sure, but given her past experiences, that was the only guaranteed way of survival she knew. I really love how she said she had been tricked over and over again in her life, and then Decim tricked her once again, praising/soothing her and then sending her to the void. Sends off a wonderful message.^^

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the show. But it's screwed up nonetheless. I really do hope that's the point - that we're supposed to see how wrong it is.

Edit: It also doesn't help, as I've just realized, that the judgement is passed by Decim and Decim alone. No one could be 100 % objective even if they had access to the soul's thoughts, which Decim doesn't, and since his black-haired and more empathetic assistant just stands aside and doesn't voice her opinion until after it's too late to change anything, the chances for a proper judgement become even slimmer.
Modified by pometlo, Mar 16, 11:55 AM

Apr 6, 2:30 PM

pometlo said:
I think judging people is just wrong. It's good to enforce societal norms so that the society doesn't fall apart, but in this show, there're no beneficial norms to enforce. So what's the point of judgement? Not to mention the reincarnated souls will end up as totally different people anyways, right? With different personalities (maybe) and born to a different environment (probably); an initially reincarnated soul might be sent to the void the next time just because of an unlucky setup (extreme poverty, abusive parents, etc.), and vice versa, a damned soul could've ended up having a nice life on the second try, and behave accordingly, if it wasn't sent to the void.
Plus, as was stated in the previous episodes, the judges do make mistakes and they don't have access to the souls' thoughts - they only see the outside (even in the memories, they can't see the mental processes, only the outcome - the actual deeds) - so how can that be a fair judgement? The woman in this episode clearly wasn't evil, she was horrified by her own act of violence and demanded ambulance for the guy; she behaved like a jerk, sure, but given her past experiences, that was the only guaranteed way of survival she knew. I really love how she said she had been tricked over and over again in her life, and then Decim tricked her once again, praising/soothing her and then sending her to the void. Sends off a wonderful message.^^

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the show. But it's screwed up nonetheless. I really do hope that's the point - that we're supposed to see how wrong it is.

Edit: It also doesn't help, as I've just realized, that the judgement is passed by Decim and Decim alone. No one could be 100 % objective even if they had access to the soul's thoughts, which Decim doesn't, and since his black-haired and more empathetic assistant just stands aside and doesn't voice her opinion until after it's too late to change anything, the chances for a proper judgement become even slimmer.

Fair enough. However, I don't think the judgement is pointless. Because there has to be something to show stories of people. For me, Death Parade's original starting point is that they want show us those tragic or interesting lives. So, the best way is the afterlife. Also the game concept is a unique approach. I think we don't need to pay attention to their judgement.

Apr 6, 3:54 PM

Okarin_Kyouma said:
pometlo said:

Fair enough. However, I don't think the judgement is pointless. Because there has to be something to show stories of people. For me, Death Parade's original starting point is that they want show us those tragic or interesting lives. So, the best way is the afterlife. Also the game concept is a unique approach. I think we don't need to pay attention to their judgement.

Sure, you don't need to pay attention to it, it's up to you what you decide to take from a story. (Why would you ignore it if you consider it important yourself, though?)
But given the Death Parade's concept, I think (and the later episodes pretty much confirmed it to me) that the judging part is important. If it wasn't and the creators just meant to show us the personal stories of the individual characters, wouldn't it be better to, you know, really just show them (such as it's brilliantly done in Monster, which presents fragments of its characters' past and always manages to tell so much in such limited space; or in Haikyuu, where the opposing teams' humanity and dreams get fleshed out so vividly it's not clear whom to cheer for anymore) without shoving it to our faces that their lives were wrong or right? (And thus diverting our attention to the un/fairness of the judgement rather than the life itself?) If I was in the creators' shoes and didn't want to stress the judgment bit, I wouldn't have built up a whole plot based on it.
Modified by pometlo, Apr 6, 3:57 PM

Apr 7, 12:24 AM

pometlo said:
Okarin_Kyouma said:

Sure, you don't need to pay attention to it, it's up to you what you decide to take from a story. (Why would you ignore it if you consider it important yourself, though?)
But given the Death Parade's concept, I think (and the later episodes pretty much confirmed it to me) that the judging part is important. If it wasn't and the creators just meant to show us the personal stories of the individual characters, wouldn't it be better to, you know, really just show them (such as it's brilliantly done in Monster, which presents fragments of its characters' past and always manages to tell so much in such limited space; or in Haikyuu, where the opposing teams' humanity and dreams get fleshed out so vividly it's not clear whom to cheer for anymore) without shoving it to our faces that their lives were wrong or right? (And thus diverting our attention to the un/fairness of the judgement rather than the life itself?) If I was in the creators' shoes and didn't want to stress the judgment bit, I wouldn't have built up a whole plot based on it.

You're right. Of course, the judging part is nearly the entire story and important to me, either. But, as I mentioned the previous post, we don't need to pay attention to their judgement. To me, in fact, the show leave visitors' judgement to us. I mean, Decim's conclusions are unclear and we don't need to pay attention to them. Like you said, no one could be 100 % objective. So, I think that way. In Death Billiards (parent story or alternative version), my idea is more acceptable. Because we even don't know why the visitor would go to hell(or the vain) in DB.

In my opinion, the biggest flaw in this show is the background story. Like I said, to me, initially the creators wanted to just show the personal stories of the visitors. But they were a lot of moral inquiries in these stories. And they needed a background story to show them. However, with only 12 episodes, this is impossible. So, the characters remained greatly underdeveloped. Actually, I agree with you about the judgement, "the reincarnated souls will end up as totally different people anyways". Maybe I didn't pay attention because I don't believe in reincarnation. It is pointless if you don't remember your past life.

Apr 13, 6:02 PM

Great episode. The buildup was strong and the nuance + ambiguity was top notch. You could analyze this episode a fair amount since the writers put just enough on both characters to flesh them out believably.

Yousuke regretted not giving his stepmom's wish before killing himself. Misaki regretted not being with her children anymore. She says nothing about how she treated her manager.

So Yousuke owned up to his mistakes and Misaki didn't. That's the basis of the ruling. Even if you disagree with Decim, I think the logic makes sense.

How the hell did she bash his head in though? Does he have no situational awareness or ability to defend himself?

4/5

May 5, 8:50 PM

I was getting some serious #OurGuy vibes from my boy Yousuke

Another absolutely phenomenal episode. Everything about it was perfect. The voice actors did an amazing job. I felt so many emotions in this episode. This was by far my favorite episode so far. I am loving this show.

Jun 19, 6:45 AM

The woman points out the problem with this show: all he does is trick them...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Jun 19, 7:21 AM

@Confucius But this part of the games concept, the idea is not to bet over the game how to hande their "soul".

Pages (13) « First ... « 11 12 [13]