Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 27, 2015 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was intense. We get some fast paced action this episode at the arena!

I'm actually somewhat surprised by Soo-Won's display of power here. Still, I liked the style of the episode from the introduction of some of the competitors to the intensity they bought into the fight. Also thought Gung-tae's moves were quite something as well. This one on one battle turned out to be quite the show although I think the ending of that result felt a bit underwhelming; pretty sure Soo-Woon was holding back.
Jan 27, 2015 6:59 AM

Nov 2007
New girl is being shoujo manga mood (sparkling) around both guys (not just one in the PV). It's like Chinese chess when attacking enemies? The "battle game" begins. Cousin guy's team's strategy (?) is confusing at first from keep escaping. It seems like the two are the ones who actually battle seriously, but cousin guy is actually smart.

The red team's leader just realized cousin guy's strategy. And that use of first OP as BGM. He became serious, though. lol @ that scene when tripping. Another relaxing moment with talk of the flower. And there's another ability that the king developed that only realized he left. It seems like the game was just a name of testing out before the real battle.

Finally meeting Ryokuryuu next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 27, 2015 9:02 AM

Jun 2008
I've really enjoyed the last two episodes. I think Soo-Won is my favorite character now.
Jan 27, 2015 9:05 AM

Aug 2010
Yuno is just too kawaiiii <3

So-wun just can't be read XD But he obviously planned all that shit out. He's an amazing king...if only he didn't use the method he did to get to the throne :/

Friggin can't wait for Jae-ha and his arc. This gonna be good :3
Jan 27, 2015 9:13 AM

Jul 2010
The spirit of the Earth tribe and their love for their general!

Soo-won is really manipulative to really do what he wanted and also many people being oblivious to the fact that it happened! Now that is the most fearsome type of people!
Jan 27, 2015 9:14 AM

Jun 2011
I really love Soo-won. And I can't wait for the next arc :D
Jan 27, 2015 9:16 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
That was one awesome "mock battle." Didn't think too high of Soo-won until now. The way he planned everything out while pretending to be "weak" was very clever. Although he's the "antagonist" of the show, I'm liking his character quite a lot now!

Geun-tae was pretty amazing himself too! If a war eventually breaks out (which is most likely to occur sometime later), he'll probably become Soo-won's right-hand man.
Btw, his wife is pretty cute! Why doesn't he pay enough attention to her? >.<

Good episode. New character incoming next week. Green Dragon perhaps?

Jan 27, 2015 9:24 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I could where this is going since the first 3 minutes of the episode. Okay episode, finally back though with the group of amazingness next week.
Jan 27, 2015 9:41 AM

Jun 2010
Lol, sadly this episode just helped to prove how much Yona's dad had to die in order for the kingdom to prosper.

Lol things are going to get real awkward when Yona gets back XD.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Jan 27, 2015 9:55 AM

Feb 2012
Smh everyone there thinking Soo-Won is some bitch boi, he trolled them all.

But Geun-tae's wife tho, too nice.

Next week we start with Pirates arc, can't wait.
Jan 27, 2015 9:59 AM

Dec 2012
I hardly understand why people dislike Soo-Won,I like him.

Hell yea,I'm already pumped for Pirates Arc.
Jan 27, 2015 10:16 AM

Jul 2010
So-wun, wats up with that bastard?
yeo
Jan 27, 2015 10:22 AM

Aug 2013
Su-won reminds me Griffith, but just A LITTLE..
Jan 27, 2015 10:57 AM

Dec 2014
still no Jae-Ha this episode *sigh*
Jan 27, 2015 10:57 AM
Jul 2018
Yuno is so cute.

That mock battle was great!
Jan 27, 2015 11:23 AM

Oct 2008
This episode makes it really hard to hate su-won, hes a really good king but his method of getting the throne was pretty bad. I guess the final showdown will be epic though
Jan 27, 2015 11:38 AM

Jan 2013
I like Gung-tae more than Su-Won. I can't shake off the feeling that Su-Won is planning something.

Jan 27, 2015 11:38 AM

Apr 2013
Yuno is the absolute best but nothing Su-won does will redeem him in my eyes. It was obvious that this was his "plan" the entire time but it was cool to see it unravel and see what the details were. I still can't forgive anyone who hurts my waifu though...

The Griffith comparison is on track but it shames the amazing (and terrible) character that Griffith is to compare him to the likes of Su-won.
dankzelJan 27, 2015 4:17 PM
Jan 27, 2015 11:39 AM

Sep 2009
At this point I'm actually only watching for the ikemen >////<

Jan 27, 2015 12:01 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Nothing Su-Won does can change the fact that his kingdom is built on the murder of his king and that he was prepared to let Yona die for his ambition. I think people should remember that.

Having said that, he is one interesting and smart customer. He makes for a formidable antagonist for Yona and her small crew.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 27, 2015 12:01 PM

Feb 2009
This was a great episode! I got really pumped. His wife is adorable!! Still don't like Soo Won though. People like that are snakes in the grass and it's hard to control them. Even though technically he is helping the kingdom, he still killed someone to get there. It just makes it all the more complicated for Yona when she returns if everyone grows to love Soo Won over her late father.

Jan 27, 2015 12:13 PM

Dec 2014
I had a feeling he was faking it. Su-won is fake af but he coo
Jan 27, 2015 12:31 PM

Jul 2009
UUUUGH THIS IS SO ANNOYING! Su-Won is hot. He's totally my type. He's got the looks, he's got the brains, he's got it all yet i don't want to like him.

I dont believe he should have killed the king but whatever I can forgive that. Like details regarding that are still unclear. What i cant forgive is how he tried to kill Yona. Like really? And the way he acts like he's sorrowful he lost her and shit. Bitch plz THEN DONT TRY TO KILL THE POOR GIRL WHO WORSHIPED U.

Ah Su-Won u hottie. I'm so conflicted.
Jan 27, 2015 12:32 PM

Sep 2013
I thought as much. He already seems a better king than Yona's father. I wonder whats gonna happen when Yona realizes that.
Jan 27, 2015 12:43 PM

Sep 2014
Soo-Won = Griffith rip-off 2.0

Overall a nice episode. It was refreshing not to see Yona in the spotlight for a while.
Jan 27, 2015 12:52 PM

Dec 2014
Su-won just earned more points. I really liked him here. He was cute but during the fight scene(which was animated wonderfully) he looked badass. Dat fall though. All these strategies to help the Earth tribe were amazing. I knew he was planning something but to go to that extend... He surprised me. He just became one of my favorites.
The new dragon seems interesting. I have this incredible urge to read the manga but I will try to refrain myself.
Overall an amazing episode. Looking forward to next week.
Jan 27, 2015 1:17 PM
Jun 2013
This show is so fun. It reminds me of Magi in that it's hard to tell who the "good guys" are or who the "bad guys" are. I found myself cheering for Soowon AND Yona.

Does anyone know how many episodes this is going to get?
Jan 27, 2015 1:24 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Glad people are understanding Soo-won more, and of course I don't think killing King Il was forgivable either. But the point here is that Soo-won got the much needed character development, and he can't just be seen as black or white.

@Inugirlz
I don't think Soo-won wanted to kill her, he most likley believed that Hak would protect her. He didn't act like he's sorrowful that he lost her (and Hak), he IS sad that he lost his two best friends. Yes he still had to accept that for his ambitions he would lose his friends forever, either lose their trust or lose them forever (meaning they're dead), and even if end doesn't justify the means, I think he's not a character that I can hate. After all, he sacrificed three of the closest people but then that would kind of mean that King Il sacrificed all those people in the poor villages as he left them alone . Not that Soo-won has done anything either about the poor either though. Anyways, just saying you can still like him as a character while liking Yona at the same time.

The showdown between Soo-won and Geun-tae near the end of th match was inteeense. Though I laughed pretty hard when Soo-won tripped on his cape cloak and fell, which cause Geun-tae to accidentally break Soo-won's plate XD So perfect. I think Soo-won always intended to lose, but would try to make it seem as real as possible, but he most likely didn't trip on purpose. He seemed quite surprised himself when he fell. Also, Soo-won is pretty amazing to devise such a plan just to revive Chishin's economy. He did it all just with Yuno's tea and the rocks.

And so the ryokuryuu/pirate's arc finally begns next episode~
Jan 27, 2015 1:30 PM

Dec 2014
stellalala said:
This show is so fun. It reminds me of Magi in that it's hard to tell who the "good guys" are or who the "bad guys" are. I found myself cheering for Soowon AND Yona.

Does anyone know how many episodes this is going to get?

You're right! You can't help but love every character in both shows. And both involve an adventure.
Regarding the episodes, It is a 2 cour anime(with 25) but that way there won't be enough episodes for the story to fully unfold(If it gets 25 episodes it will probably end after she finds the yellow dragon.) I hope it gets more that 25.(which is probable looking at the pace of the story)
Jan 27, 2015 2:26 PM

Jun 2014
Soo-won's scheming makes me like him. I think it'd be kind of interesting to see this story from his point of view. Although if that were the case, I guess he wouldn't be quite so much of an enigma as he is now.

I think it's also kind of funny seeing the Griffith comparisons when Kentaro Miura has done some artwork for Akatsuki no Yona.
Jan 27, 2015 2:46 PM

Jan 2013
Sneaky king.
Good episode, now with this the king clearly has him on his hands for war.
His wife was super cute.
Jan 27, 2015 2:56 PM

Apr 2012
I like Soo-won's scheme to win over Geun-tae. I wonder if he will end up betraying Haku.

Jan 27, 2015 3:02 PM

Sep 2012
Now THAT's what I'm talking about. This is the kind of thing you need in a show with some light politics, I hope there'll be more focus on this rather than looking for dragons.
Jan 27, 2015 3:16 PM
Jul 2012
Su-won is too sneaky for my taste. That sly bastard. He's that kind of antagonist with something always up his sleeves and will do anything for his place on the throne. He's calm but if you tempt him, he releases hell on you. He always has that mask on. Smiling away... I despise those kinds of characters.

These last two episodes weren't really all that good in my opinion. A little boring. I found myself wanting to fast-forward through these episodes. I want to see more of Yona and company.
Jan 27, 2015 3:28 PM

Jun 2014
Farabeuf said:
Nothing Su-Won does can change the fact that his kingdom is built on the murder of his king and that he was prepared to let Yona die for his ambition. I think people should remember that.

Having said that, he is one interesting and smart customer. He makes for a formidable antagonist for Yona and her small crew.

He is a REALLY well written "villain" because you really can justify his actions. The King murdered his father to take the throne, then became a huge wimp, banned war and conflict, but abandoned many villages leaving its people to die.
Su-won avenged his fathers murder, and took the throne. And now is working to let the kingdom prosper, but is still avoiding conflict if its unnecessary. He DOES however, prepare for it. Yona and Hak are the ONLY people who know that Su-won killed King Ill. SO should Yona, Hak and the dragons manage to kill Su-won, THEY will be viewed as the villains by the entire country.

THIS IS HOW YOU WRITE INTERESTING PLOT AND CHARACTERS! This show is so impressive to me.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jan 27, 2015 4:43 PM

Aug 2013
That sneaky king... He's no innocent man. No innocent man could be able to kill a king and overthrow the state. But that, those generals don't know that, probably only the closest one to him.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 27, 2015 4:56 PM

Aug 2013
the good thing about this episode is general's wife.. :D
Jan 27, 2015 4:58 PM

Nov 2007
The reason why Akatsuki no Yona is such a wonderful story is because of beside Hak and Yona, Su-won as an antagonist is such a powerful character.

In those ancient times, sometimes the only way to get throne was to kill the one in throne. Remember that Su-won did that to avenge his father who was killed by King Il just because he was extremely popular. Even though his father never wanted the throne, in fact, all he cared for were the country and King Il.

Another thing is the fact that Su-won probably never wanted to kill Yona and Hak. Yona just happened to have arrived at the moment King Il was murdered and he was left with no other option. Su-won ended up having to go after both Yona and Hak because they'd found out. The irony is, while he avenged his father in vengeance, he killed the three most important things in his life, he killed the blessing in Mun-deok, he killed his love in Yona and he killed his best friendship in Hak.

Even though he is probably a way better King for the country, and admirable in the way he deals with everything else, I will never like him for doing what he did (murdering the previous King) and going after the lives of Yona and Hak.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 27, 2015 5:06 PM
Nov 2014
Soo-won is a great character. This episode also proved that he's a capable and cunning ruler.

However, he still murdered King Il, and I'm 100% positive that's gonna bite him in the ass in the end.

I'll never like him, but his character is amazing.
Jan 27, 2015 5:32 PM

Oct 2011
Su won being this cunning : 0

Stil confilcted with him : (
Jan 27, 2015 6:21 PM

Mar 2009
Su-won's an extremely well-written characters. As people have already said in this thread, he reminds me more and more of Griffith from Berserk.

dream_eater1012 said:

I think it's also kind of funny seeing the Griffith comparisons when Kentaro Miura has done some artwork for Akatsuki no Yona.

Oh, cool. Is that so? I'd love to see the artwork he's done.
Jan 27, 2015 6:31 PM

Jun 2014
Mormegil said:
dream_eater1012 said:

Oh, cool. Is that so? I'd love to see the artwork he's done.

Pictures in the spoiler.
[spoiler]
Jan 27, 2015 6:41 PM

Jul 2011

Su-won and the general had INTENSE eyes this episode. I seriously love the battle coordination, animation and overall budget. <3
Like when the general released his sword and caught it again to change his direction of attack; that was splendid to watch. Su-won testing the general on his abilities and opening his eyes was very nice too. I want more episodes of Su-won reforming the country! Makes me love the series rather than irritate me.

Also, new OP and ED are really growing on me. :D
MirorinJan 27, 2015 6:47 PM
Jan 27, 2015 6:48 PM
Apr 2009
I wish they start focusing more on Yona because this feels like fillers.
There was really no point for these last 2 episodes.
Jan 27, 2015 7:27 PM

Jul 2013
Barion-Zara said:
Yuno is just too kawaiiii <3
This. Wanted to see more of her.
Jan 27, 2015 7:35 PM
Sep 2014
Gun-Tae is BAE and I still don't like the new OP song
Soo-won might be a good king, but I think he's indeed planning a war.
Can't wait to meet the green dragon *w*

Jan 27, 2015 8:27 PM

Sep 2014
I can't get over the awful song choice for the OP. It doesn't fit at all. The ED, on the other hand, is lovely.

Another great episode that focused on Su-won's character development. Can't wait for the introduction of the green dragon next week!

[/center]
Jan 27, 2015 8:55 PM
Jul 2014
Yona looks gorgeous in that ed song.(Is it implying that she will become a ruler?)
Great episode, and next one looks interesting as well. Basically Su-won is a good king but a not so good person. Makes me sad when thinking of the happy times Hak, Yona and Su-won shared.
Jan 27, 2015 9:40 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
jjrocks24 said:
Su-won is too sneaky for my taste. That sly bastard. He's that kind of antagonist with something always up his sleeves and will do anything for his place on the throne. He's calm but if you tempt him, he releases hell on you. He always has that mask on. Smiling away... I despise those kinds of characters.

You make him sound so evil lol :P

neoalexys said:
I wish they start focusing more on Yona because this feels like fillers.
There was really no point for these last 2 episodes.

No point? :( I guess you missed some important characterization. As the main antagonist of this story, Soo-won needed some screen time so he doesn't seem like a flat character. Good writing needs good characterization. You can say that you personally found the episodes boring, maybe because you mainly care about Yona and co., but these were not pointless episodes.
Jan 27, 2015 10:17 PM

Aug 2008
From an appearance point of view, Su-Won is too bishounen for my taste... but personality wise, damn, that guy is awesome, and this episode showed it. I think this episode really portrayed a different side of Su-Won: he's wise, plans ahead, and really knows how to win the people over. Contrast this with the previous king, King Il. Sure, he loves peace and his people, but let's not forget what that starving villager said in last week's episode: who exactly did King Il save in the end? In real life, it's not always the pacifist who saves everyone; in fact, sometimes, it's the pacifist who screws everything up.

Man, I'm starting to think it's better if Su-Won wins after all.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2015

374 by perseii »»
Apr 8, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2014

138 by Seraschi »»
Apr 6, 1:42 PM

Poll: » should i keep watching????

Tamar5858 - Jul 31, 2022

20 by BiobulletM »»
Apr 3, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Feb 17, 2015

146 by nyaasar »»
Mar 21, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2015

148 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 9, 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.