Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Jan 16, 2016 6:46 AM
Kanojo ni naru hi !!
Best childhood friends ( both man ) but arnd 17yo one of them became a girl due to genetic stuff. Strongwilled girl not those weak type. Strong in front of everyone, only once or twice weakness gets seen by the guy childood friend but after 1 page or so she becomes sarcastic again.

Theres 2 manga with kinda the same name but the other has the word 'another' at the end, but this is nice, while the other is not.

Feb 7, 2016 5:16 PM
-Psycho-Pass (but not much romance)
-Attack on Titan (not much romance)
-Death Parade (not much romance but really touching and deep)
-Steins;gate (romance yay! Kurisu is smart and independent, albeit a bit of a tsundere & vulnerable at times)
-Inu x Boku (romance yay! Ririchio is a tsundere but she's more than capable of taking care of herself when in danger)
-Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (romance! this could be a bit iffy cuz while Yuko is the eldest and certainly never submits to the male lead, she is very sexual and takes pride in it, so this'll be okay if you're cool with a lot of fanservice)
-SAO (romance! Asuna is AWESOME for like the first quarter of season 1, iffy for the 2nd quater of season 1, and horrible for the rest. If you watch this, DO NOT CONTINUE BEYOND THE 1ST HALF OF THE FIRST SEASON)
-Gosick (romance! the female lead is def a tsundere and very dependent, but she's also very intelligent and controls the male role)
-Clannad (romance! Nagisaka isn't the strongest female, but the show didn't come off as sexist to me)
-Sakurasou no pet na Kanojo (light romance! um, there's a bit of fanservice in this one and a love triangle, but both female protagonists have strenghts in their own areas, and the male lead is definitely not "perfect," but he ends up taking care of one of the lead girls)

If you don't like weak female leads, I suggest you not watch "Special A," "Kaichou wa Maid-sama!" "Kamisama hajimemashita," or "Anohana"

Feb 11, 2016 4:44 AM
I perfectly understand that feeling where you just hate the weak cliche female lead. Truly there are not that many but i do have some recommendations.

i highly recommend:
akatsuki no yona (truly one of my favourites!)
akagami no shirayukihime
kaichou wa maid sama

Feb 11, 2016 5:16 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Hataraki Man. It's a seinen anime and manga with one of the strongest female leads (Matsukata is almost like a man!). The ending lets us guess that series was romance-influenced.

Iғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ, ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴀ sᴋʏ ʟᴏᴄᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴊᴀʀ
ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴀ ɢᴀʟᴀxʏ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ I'ᴍ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴏɴʟʏ
sᴛᴀʀ.
Iғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ, ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs ᴀs ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴡɪʟʟ sᴏᴏɴ ᴘᴇʀɪsʜ,
ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴀᴜᴛᴜᴍɴ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇs, sᴏ ʏᴏᴜ sʜᴀʟʟ
ғᴏʀᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴍᴇ ᴄʜᴇʀɪsʜ.

Feb 11, 2016 11:23 PM
Akatsuki no Yona - has the best character development.
also,
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Kyousougiga
Oresama Teacher
Choukakou

Feb 12, 2016 1:48 AM

hanakumu said:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Hataraki Man. It's a seinen anime and manga with one of the strongest female leads (Matsukata is almost like a man!). The ending lets us guess that series was romance-influenced.

I usually don't recommend Hataraki Man to people looking for romance, but otherwise I'll agree that Hiro is a strong female lead.

Also, OP, you should read this thread at ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2828171

Feb 13, 2016 11:11 AM
Ichi (about a blind swordswoman, not much romance, for me the best female lead ever) [manga]

Gokusen (Kumiko is the daughter of a Yakuza boss, strong female lead and funny) [anime and manga]

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (the girl is not really strong or smart, but she is rather funny and doesn't act like those stereotypical girls) [Anime and manga]

Alyosha! (Alyosha is a trained assassin that has been murdering people since she was 5 years old) [manga]

Shion no Ou (smart, mentally strong and a professional Shougi player) [anime and manga]

Beauty is the Beast ( Eimi is something like a funny tomboy) [manga]

Change 2!! [manga]

Aratama tribe (Yomi is a badass woman) [manga]

Sengoku Strays [manga]

Pilgrim Jäger (both female leads are strong) [manga]

In Full Bloom (main female lead is a legendary assassin) [manga]

American Ghost Jack ( female lead fears almost nothing) [manga]

Akame ga Kiru Zero (female assassin) [manga]

Chang Ge Xing (strong and smart female lead) [manga]

Oresama Teacher [manga]

Mahou Tsukai no Yome [manga]

Husk Eden (female lead is a soldier ) [manga]

Online - The Comic (Mai is both smart and strong) [manga]

Arachnid (lots of strong females) [manga]

Shut Hell (strong female lead) [manga]

Otomen ( strong female lead and feminin male lead) [manga and drama(live action)]

Kemono no Souja [anime and manga]

Blood + (female lead becomes strong) [anime and manga]

Majo no Shinzou (Mika has the appearance of a child is but 500 years old) [manga]

Fenglin Tianxia Wangfei Shisansui (female badass, though has romance) [manga]

also there are live actions/dramas which i have to recommend :
Keizoku 2: SPEC (a woman with an IQ of 201)
Empress Ki (smart and strong)
Queen Seon Deok (smart)
Hataraki man (smart and strong)

Feb 18, 2016 2:07 PM
Kimi Ni Todoke
She is very shy and timid, but she is in no way weak. She is this cinnamon roll who blushes easily and has problems speaking up, but she works hard on herself to become less insecure. She tries her best in everything, and she stood up to herself many times. She's very strong-willed. Also this anime has many other female characters that are strong and always protect her, and they also protect other male chaacters.

Tanori no Kaibutsu-Kun, the female lead stands up to herself and she protects the guy. The guy is violent and all but he's very innocent as well. When the guy was once jealous and told her not to go to the cram school, she glared at him and put him in his place, saying it is none of his business and he's not gonna stop her from doing what she wants. She is strong.

Feb 22, 2016 1:52 AM
I recommend

-Oresama Teacher, the main character used to be in a gang in her old school and her mother told her that she'll disown her if she doesn't restart her life being a normal girl. A teacher that works there used to be a childhood friend of hers also a gang leader it is so cool, its perfect

-Wallflower, main character is hilarious loves scary stuff, scared for life when a guy called her ugly, she's strong lives with 4 guys in a mansion and they get possessed which is so cool and seriously this manga is the best I've watched and read

-Tokyo Crazy Paradise I think, the girl disguised herself as a guy and lots of shooting action the girl is crazy strong a hint of romance in the air and boom you got yourself an awesome Tomboy manga shojo

Apr 12, 2016 5:41 AM
Aoharu X Kikanjuu - Too strong of a female lead. BTW, is actually a female. But she is often mistaken for a boy.

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - She is the town`s top 3 when it comes to being the best. Sci-fi, and this is a side story because the main story features a boy.

Gunslinger girls - Basically all of them swing guns. Ahahaha.

Apr 15, 2016 9:34 PM
I would second the anime toshokan sensou
Another recommendation, which I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet, is an old Manga called 9 banme no musashi.

It's a story about a special agent, and believe me it's not a fantasy-kind of agent. It's exaggerated but in a way that you'll still believe it. The main character is a badass female character!! She's strong both mentally and physically, doesn't like to chase or drool over guys, doesn't fall in love easily. There'll be romance in the middle of the story, but before that there'll be a lot of one-shot missions. Bear in mind that it hasn't been finished to be translated to english (last updated was December 2015, but it's completed in Japanese a couple years ago I believe).

I'm also looking for a strong female lead, exactly like the ones you ranted before, so I believe you should check these out!

May 13, 2016 5:07 PM

This is a bombbbb list. just opened like 7 random ones and 6 are all on my to read list.

Jun 7, 2016 6:48 PM

Ghost in the Shell
Black Lagoon
Canaan
Madlax

Jul 22, 2016 4:23 PM
Skip beat has a strong female lead and doesn't have anything you disliked (as you mentioned)

Aug 11, 2016 12:47 PM
I know your frustration with the weak girl who needs her prince to save her, I have the same problem with that as you. The strong female lead anime/manga that I enjoy the most up until now are Skip Beat!, Tengen toppa gurren lagann and samurai high school.

Skip Beat! has an anime and a manga. The anime stops suddenly (my guess is because they caught up with the manga) and will probably not be continued. It's a typical example of a read the manga ending so this is what I suggest you do. I found the manga very enjoyable, sadly it's still ongoing (I personally prefer reading/watching completed things).

Tengen toppa gurren lagann, watch the anime, it's amazing. The MC is male but the main group consists of a girl and two guys. Yoko (main girl) might look like total fan service but she's amazingly strong. The show is a mecha genre and she is the only one who can consistently take out these mecha's with just a gun where as all the guys need their own mecha's. Over all Yoko is just badass!

Samurai high school is very enjoyable, anime only. I have already re-read it a few times. This anime is about twins, one male, one female and their roles and interests are turned around. This means you end up with a boy who enjoys cooking and caring and sewing, and a girl who beats everyone's ass. I love it and I really wish there was more!

I hope you'll find at least one of these to your liking.

Sep 26, 2016 1:51 PM
Ranma 1/2

Kasimashi: Girl meets girl

both are gender reversals and strong female and male character

Oct 24, 2016 7:05 PM
omg omg omg meee toooo! Sorry, i got excited, I absolutely love it when girls are capable and thanks to this post I've found some new series to read. But i had to have some input too, this is literally my first time replying, and all because of how much i love strong capable female leads.
So a lot of people recommended 𝐀𝐤𝐚𝐭𝐬𝐮𝐤𝐢 𝐍𝐨 𝐘𝐨𝐧𝐚 and I completely agree, at first Yona is a typical bubbled headed shoujo lead who had nothing on her mind but romance, a literal princess who has never had to worry about anything a day in her life, but real quickly, like the first couple of chapters really, shit goes down, and we get to see her grow and go through this incredible journey that helps her mature and become a strong kick ass woman from the weak trembling girl we see before. Also this has that kingdom political aspect which actually adds to the story rather than degrade it. And also her little vagabond group that she travels with, the Happy Hungry Bunch are the cutest things in the whole entire universe.

A few others also recommended 𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 also known as 𝐂𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐤𝐚 𝐊𝐨𝐮 or 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠 𝐆𝐞 𝐗𝐢𝐧𝐠. This one is also about a princess who is running for her life from the castle, the only difference is that ever since she is a child she has been trained in martial arts, war/military strategies and basically everything that a female would never really be trained in. Except she is trained in those things and become one of the greatest minds in her time. This is also a gender bender and while some people don't like that it really ties in the plot and she has a good reason for doing so (its a great disguise and for survival) that has nothing to do with like running after a boy into an all guys school (no matter how much of an amusing read that was, come on. looking at you hana kimi) This manga took a couple of tries for me to get into, its definitely not a light read, something you actually have to focus on, but once i got the ball rolling, i couldn't stop. This girl is really tough and kick ass, super well trained in martial arts, but my favorite thing about the manga is the emphasis of her brains over her brawn. And they use it realistically, she doesn't always win, she loses some important people to her, but she kick ass anyways. By the way, this is a historical fiction, while most of the people and events didn't really occur, the tribes and the setting are pretty accurate.

Last but not least,and I'm super surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, is 𝟗 𝐁𝐚𝐧𝐦𝐞 𝐍𝐨 𝐌𝐮𝐬𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐢. Unlike the previous two which were fantasy and historical fiction, this one is set it a modern day setting with a made up (or maybe not) super secret organization called United Blue which is sort of a more militaristic version of the united nations that can actually get shit done. They are known as the worlds last line of defense against major threats that normal organizations or the UN cant deal with. They're agents are numbered off and even one of the agents 1-9 (they're most powerful agents) alone have the power to change the course of history. The main character? Agent 9. In the beginning she is so skilled and super powerful, and that doesn't change through out the story, but she is skilled to the point where she almost seems like a capable machine. Not that she's particularly stoic or anything but you can see she really doesn't know how to love. The male lead is your average Joe, hes a highschooler and someone she gets assigned to protect from a major terrorist organization (or maybe it was a triad). He then falls very in love with her but really he's not particularly bad ass or anything. The thing that really makes him stand out really is his deep love for her, and he never stops trying. Its kind of like the stories of the normal not really good for anything girls who fall in love with a super capable bad ass spy or something but the reverse. And you can actually root for him. The art for this turns some people off, it definitely took some getting used to for me, but now i love it, and even if you aren't in love with the art, the story more that makes up for it. It is that good.

Also skip beat and almost everything else everyone's recommended. Sorry for the long post y'all, i just really love these series. :)

Oct 24, 2016 8:23 PM

Black Lagoon
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Akame ga kill
Kill la kill
Ergo Proxy

Jan 1, 2017 1:37 PM
Hey, I think there's a really good one everyone's missing. Saver is a great manga that involves a great badass female(through has to be like a male). She has great skills and *whispers* if you want a bunch of good-looking men following the main lead, then you've met your match! 😚😏

Apr 23, 2017 9:04 PM
Try Gakkou Gurashi or Akame ga kill. Fairy Tail is also good and the main female is a BIT weak in the beginning but she becomes stronger as she grows in the guild. Tons of strong females too. ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM. Yes, the MC is not female but there are tons of cool girls in the show. Omamori Himari has a strong female but she is protected at some points by the male. She mostly protects him though, it's her sworn job. I suggest you check 'em out, I love 'em.

Apr 25, 2017 7:07 AM
IKR,IM JUST SO SICK OF THOSE.anyways,i have a few suggestions

1)Gintama
-This is pretty well-known,so i don't know if you know about it.The reason why I put it here is because the Heroine,Kagura,was from a race known to be the strongest throughout the whole universe.Sure,She follows the MC because he's strong and a "role model" but she take shit from no one.She solves most her problems by violence and trust me,She isn't like the type of heroine where she's in trouble,she'll cry and scream help but she will deal with it herself and actually wins tho.Since she also has her share of problems,she isn't the type to let the MC finish it bu she,herself,finishes it so i greatly recommend it :)

2)Attack On Titan
-Um im not too sure about this.The Females in this manga are pretty badass especially the heroine but what's worst is that this female,can't really "function" without the MC *cough*mikasa*cough*.

3)Sket dance
-this is a sorta.The heroine was known as "Onihime" because of her strength.She was very lonely and the MC saved her from that.Although,this is the case,She was always the one doing the action and the MC was just there xD

4)Skip Beat
-This is a manga where there is no action.Summary is Kyouko,the heroine,is lovesick over her childhood friend who turned into a celebrity.One day,She overheard that she was just being treated as a maid and so she challenged this guy and sweared to make him beg for her forgiveness and the only way to do that is the showbiz world.Because of this,her feelings of "Love" was locked away deep inside her and only feelings of hate and resentment surfaced.You could say that this girl is just emotionally-strong? Uhm,your choice to read it tho.

5)Akuma no riddle
-This is Shoujo Ai.Summary is 'The female lead is an assassin.She was tasked to kill a certain target.And so she was enrolled in a school.In her class,there are only 12(?) students.The gist is all of her classmates are assassins except for one and that is the target.The first one who kills her,the target,will get their wish come true.Upon knowing much more of her target,The female lead grew more fond of her and so she volunteered to protect her instead from the other assassins.

I am pretty sure i have more to suggest but i forgot the titles

May 14, 2017 4:35 PM
SeijiSensei said:
Beagoodsport said:
Chihayafuru-strong female character with a lot of willpower, while being quirky as well.

I didn't mention Chihayafuru before because it involves childhood friends. I don't like that trope either, but I didn't care about it in the case of this show. It's still terrific.

CHIHAYAFURU IS AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL GAAAAH

May 14, 2017 6:00 PM
maid sama!!!!
misaki has a really strong character in this, and the plot is really good! she does get saved a lot, but she's definitely a good female lead

Jun 15, 2017 6:28 PM
Manga:
Bara Kangoku no Kemono-tachi (I love the story so far)
Choegang Geunyeo (not a manga but still good)
Chuan Yue Xi Yuan 3000 Hou (not a manga but I love it so much)
Isanghago Aleumdaun
Kenka Banchou Otome - Koi no Battle Royal ( there is also a anime but I like them both the same, the anime is longer)
Mizutama Honey Boy (the girl is really really strong but the guys is so weak, but it's really good)
Barajou no Kiss (she is strong but we don't see it that much)

Jun 15, 2017 7:05 PM

Anime:

-Blue Spring Ride
-Ghost in the Shell
-Kill la Kill
-Little Witch Academia (TV)
-Paprika
-Expelled From Paradise
-Soul Eater

The only manga I can think of is Beauty Pop.

I'm not sure if those are exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully you find something enjoyable.

Aug 24, 2017 9:36 AM
Strong female leads
Manga:- 1. Gou himetachi no sengoku
2. Gu fang bu zi Shang
3. Skip Beat
There are also some Korean manhwa which have a good plot and strong female leads.
1. Cheese in the trap (my favourite which has a smart and an emotionally strong female protagonist) also available in mangareader
2. Adonis by Hye dol
3. They say I was born as a king's daughter by Bi Chu

Aug 26, 2017 10:51 AM
Gauken Alice- she reveals her stronger hidden power later on and the love development happens slowly, believe me when I say that

Beauty Pop- she's not relatively strong, but she the most skilled character in the whole manga. He skills easily surpass the popular male characters and also two characters fall in love with her. She has an indifferent attitude which makes it funny.

Feb 1, 2018 2:56 PM
Akatsuki No Yona: I know that at the start she is weak but she gets stronger later. You should read the manga too it is much better than the anime even if you don't read manga

Feb 1, 2018 3:56 PM

I'll just say : Maison Ikkoku

slice of life and romance - check
strong female lead - check ( maybe the strongest I've seen in anime )
no knight in shining armor - check

I can't believe nobody mentioned it, fits what you're looking for perfectly.

Mar 9, 2018 10:19 AM
PSYCHOPASS!!!!! FIRST SEASON AKANE IS BAD ASS

Apr 22, 2018 7:07 PM
Mai Hime has been an amazing anime for me. It has really good strong female leads, female friendships and a good romance story between one of the main female charecter and a guy. This anime is fantasy school life type of anime and really action filled.
They got powers, and those powers come at a price. Its a bad ass story and there are so many well developed characters I cant even. Do watch it if you get time, i promise you it will be worth it

Pages (2) « 1 [2]