Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 22, 2015 8:36 AM

May 2014
latest version of MAC Updater now also supports XBMC Kodi, which is great.

Are there any plans to also support Plex ( plex.tv ) as a client for scrobbling in the future ? Since Plex is rather similar to XBMC i guess this should be doable, although i have no idea how MAL actually gets the data from XBMC.

Keep up the hard work.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 22, 2015 3:54 PM

Jan 2009
I have investigated and lsof does not work as there doesn't seem to be any media file coming out of the output. Investigating further, there is apparently a JSON API that allows you to gain access to what is currently playing.So, it's a possibility in a future version, but I don't plan on adding that functionality yet.

MAL Updater OS X currently uses lsof (list open files), which is a standard Unix command to see if there is a video file playing, but obviously it will only work if the file is being played on a local hard drive or network share, not upnp. Once I implement the jSON-RPC API, it won't have that limitation, but there are features I want to add that are important such as split-season support (via exception list) before adding that, unless there is a big demand for it.
Jan 23, 2015 4:05 AM

May 2014
Thanks for the quick reply.

Did a check on the Git code and i saw that indeed lsof is used to track the video file playing. Too bad Plex doesn't list that in it's open files.

UPNP please no ;-)

I'll keep an eye on the progress for MAL Updater. And i might even be persuaded to install XBMC on the Mac Mini here. Hope it works better than my last tests with XBMC some years ago, what i saw compared to Plex is that it hogs the CPU more than Plex did.
Feb 1, 2015 10:07 AM
Aug 2008
Very interesting app!
I also use Plex and it would be awesome to update MAL via MAL Updater with Plex :) !
Feb 5, 2015 11:59 AM

Jan 2009
Note that I have added Plex support through the stream detection feature, but only through the web interface from supported browsers as I found out that it provides title and episode number in the page title.

Plex Theater is still unsupported since I'm still investigating that, but I'm guessing that most people use it with the media server opposed to Plex Theater.
Feb 8, 2015 3:09 PM
Aug 2008
Thanks!
I'll try soon!
Mar 16, 2015 8:33 AM

May 2014
Thanks Chikorita, great work. Will wait patiently on PHT (Plex Home Theater) support, until then updating MAL will be a manual process for me :-)
Mar 20, 2015 11:46 AM

Jan 2009
I will most likely get the RPC/JSON API for Kodi and Plex Theater in the next release, which I anticipate having out before the Spring season starts... Shouldn't be too difficult since it uses HTTP request to a local machine.

(Note: It won't be enabled by default since you will also have to specify the IP address to the computer that is running Kodi/Plex Theater. I plan on having the option to enable it in the Advanced preference pane)
chikorita157Mar 20, 2015 11:59 AM
Mar 21, 2015 3:57 PM

Jan 2009
Good news, the JSON/RPC API works the same in Plex as do Kodi and I have added it in the latest commit.

You will need to configure it in the Advanced options. In the address, you only specify the IP address or localhost if you running Kodi/Plex Theater on the same computer as MAL Updater OS X. Note that this will add a 5 second delay to the scrobble process if Kodi/Plex Theater is not up.

It will be released with MAL Updater OS X 2.2.5
chikorita157Mar 21, 2015 5:53 PM
Mar 29, 2015 7:18 AM

May 2014
Super news for me as a Plex Home Theater user. Great work.
Apr 5, 2015 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
2.2.5.1 has been released a few days and here is a low down on Kodi/Plex Theater RPC support

1. You need to enable it in the advanced options before using it and entering the host name Plex Theater or Kodi is running on. This is the IP address. If you running MAL Updater OS X on the same machine as Kodi/Plex, just enter localhost
2. Set port number. It's set to the default Plex Theater port number by default. For Kodi users, set it to 80
3. Use Filename - Only use this if you are using a Plex agent as none i'm aware of provides episode number or season in the metadata. However, this option is not compatible with upnp/DLNA servers.

Note that enabling Kodi/Plex Theater RPC support might add a 5 second delay if it's not running. If you don't plan on using Kodi/Plex Theater detection for a long period of time, you should only enable it when you use it.

For Kodi, it must be enabled manually since it's not enabled by default, unlike Plex Theater.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Hachidori 3.2 and Shukofukurou for iOS/iPadOS 2.0 Beta and macOS is now Available

chikorita157 - Oct 1, 2019

4 by chikorita157 »»
Jan 21, 2020 7:40 AM

Sticky: » RE: Return of MyAnimeList and future of MAL Updater OS X and Shukofukurou

chikorita157 - Jul 30, 2019

1 by chikorita157 »»
Aug 23, 2019 11:01 AM

» RE: MAL Updater OS X and Shukofukurou functionality

chikorita157 - May 24, 2018

0 by chikorita157 »»
May 24, 2018 10:46 AM

» MAL Updater OS X 2.5 Alpha Now Available for Testing

chikorita157 - Apr 26, 2018

0 by chikorita157 »»
Apr 26, 2018 11:22 AM

» MAL Library 3.0 now Available for Testing

chikorita157 - Mar 19, 2018

0 by chikorita157 »»
Mar 19, 2018 11:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.