Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any other major fans of Can here? I think Can is the greatest band ever!

Jan 20, 2015 8:44 AM

I decided I needed to make a thread for this awesome and underrated group. Have you heard of them and if so what do you think? For those of you who don't know them here's some select tracks however these only scratch the surface of the majesty that is Can.

With Mooney on vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDogzwD5rY

With Suzuki on vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5seXaMcG3c

With Karoli and Schmidt on vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFZ7irwzvtA

With no one on vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCPoQBQ54mw

Another one with Suzuki.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGQKGpjl1Fg

Jan 21, 2015 4:35 AM

Why did the 70's have all these starkly original bands? I'm not that into krautrock, but I like Can and more importantly they were like nothing else out there. Then there's King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa... the 70's murders every other decade in the most brutal way possible.

Had to get that off my chest. Bring on the J-rock fans giving Can a 2/10.

Jan 21, 2015 7:54 AM

Altairius said:
Why did the 70's have all these starkly original bands? I'm not that into krautrock, but I like Can and more importantly they were like nothing else out there. Then there's King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa... the 70's murders every other decade in the most brutal way possible.

Had to get that off my chest. Bring on the J-rock fans giving Can a 2/10.
Totally agree though some of these link off from the 60s. Oh don't forget Magma, The Residents, Throbbing Gristle, Les Ralizes Denudes, Brian Eno, and Kraftwerk who were all quite unique at the time. It was a great time for music indeed.

Jan 21, 2015 8:43 AM

That second track is beyond sexy... I love it. I've been trying to ease my way into Krautrock myself. Ash Ra Tempel sounds like a minimalist Hawkwind and Popol Vuh's otherworldly sound is a bit interesting, but Can seems like a band I would legitimately enjoy.

And yep, hard to go wrong with the late 60s to 70s.

I'll also add that I was nowhere close to being alive then so I have no nostalgia goggles to take off. Sorry folks!

Jan 21, 2015 9:25 AM

I like krautrock (the album Yeti by Amon Duul II is high quality), never listened to much of Can, though. Should I start with their first album? Or Tago Mago?

Waifu_Strangler said:
Oh don't forget Magma
You ever listen to Koenjihyakkei or Ruins? Koenjihyakkei especially is pretty much a Magma-worship band, most of the lyrics are in Kobaian. And Ruins is too, a bit less so. Their lyrics are in a language similar to Kobaian.

Jan 21, 2015 10:20 AM

-Tien- said:
That second track is beyond sexy... I love it. I've been trying to ease my way into Krautrock myself. Ash Ra Tempel sounds like a minimalist Hawkwind and Popol Vuh's otherworldly sound is a bit interesting, but Can seems like a band I would legitimately enjoy.

And yep, hard to go wrong with the late 60s to 70s.

I'll also add that I was nowhere close to being alive then so I have no nostalgia goggles to take off. Sorry folks!
Yeah I was born in 1991 but people will still try to put us off as classic rock hipsters lol.

Hihi7 said:
I like krautrock (the album Yeti by Amon Duul II is high quality), never listened to much of Can, though. Should I start with their first album? Or Tago Mago?

Waifu_Strangler said:
Oh don't forget Magma
You ever listen to Koenjihyakkei or Ruins? Koenjihyakkei especially is pretty much a Magma-worship band, most of the lyrics are in Kobaian. And Ruins is too, a bit less so. Their lyrics are in a language similar to Kobaian.
The thing with Can is that they have masterpiece albums but a lot of their best stuff ended up on compilations. As for the studio albums everything from Monster movie to Soon over Babaluma is solid. Its hard to say where to start because the albums are generally very different from each other. I'd suggest check them out in order or start with Ege Bamyasi as its more compact and pop while Tago Mago is drawn out and challenging. I love Tago Mago but its not the easiest album to consume. By the way do NOT overlook their Peel Sessions compilation its truly excellent.

Jan 21, 2015 10:34 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:
I'll start going through their albums chronologically, from the beginning. Thanks. And Peel sessions are always excellent :)

Jan 21, 2015 11:02 PM

Yeah, they're brilliant. Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, and Future Days are all among my all-time favorite albums. One of the most important bands for me personally, as far as introducing me to music outside the mainstream.. Blew my mind when I discovered them in my late teens. Kicked off a krautrock phase -- Amon Duul, Faust, Popol Vuh, Neu, Kraftwerk, etc.; I devoured that stuff.

Jan 22, 2015 3:26 AM

Hihi7 said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
I'll start going through their albums chronologically, from the beginning. Thanks. And Peel sessions are always excellent :)
This one is nothing but original material save one song which was on their album Landed (The beginning of their downfall) but the Peel Sessions has a different and superior version. I don't think I've listened to any other peel sessions to be honest but are they generally made up of original material?

Also gonna throw this out there. Horrortrip into the paperhouse has bad production but is worth checking out if you want Can with a dark and grimy sound.

Unlimited edition is one of their least accessible works but is great if you want something sorta like a collage of experimental meandering. Also has a couple of Mooney Gems such as Mother Upduff.

The Lost Tapes is unbalanced in quality but has several essential tracks like Graubulua which is one of the best instrumentals ever.

Can live is there go to live album and has 4 original tunes they made up on spot.

Jan 22, 2015 3:27 AM

SchnickelFritz said:
Yeah, they're brilliant. Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, and Future Days are all among my all-time favorite albums. One of the most important bands for me personally, as far as introducing me to music outside the mainstream.. Blew my mind when I discovered them in my late teens. Kicked off a krautrock phase -- Amon Duul, Faust, Popol Vuh, Neu, Kraftwerk, etc.; I devoured that stuff.

Ever checked out The Residents?

Jan 22, 2015 4:39 AM

No they're not the greatest band in the world, being underrated while having some good songs does not make you a musical genius.

Hell I think most of their music just sounds like a mash of instruments going together that only a stoner could understand.
I've been here way too long...

Jan 22, 2015 4:59 AM

TheConquerer said:
No they're not the greatest band in the world, being underrated while having some good songs does not make you a musical genius.

Hell I think most of their music just sounds like a mash of instruments going together that only a stoner could understand.

Well your wrong IMO and I don't think you really know what your talking about tbh.

How does this sound like a mash of instruments going around together?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ESWyyxzvk
Modified by EmperorDemonGava, Jan 22, 2015 5:04 AM

Jan 22, 2015 5:01 AM

Waifu_Strangler said:
TheConquerer said:

Well your wrong IMO and I don't think you really know what your talking about tbh.

Gimme some reasons then why they're so great and I'll counter them. That way we'll see who really knows what he's talking about.

Jan 22, 2015 5:14 AM

TheConquerer said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Gimme some reasons then why they're so great and I'll counter them. That way we'll see who really knows what he's talking about.

What reasons do you need? They played a very wide range of different styles and did things no other artist at the time was doing. The were made innovative use of electronic music. Just because some of their tracks sound like a mash up of instruments to you just means its not your style but their songs are generally very well composed. They were masters when it came to creating musical textures. The members were all very skilled at their instruments. They were able to balance between more unconventional tunes like Aumgn and Peking O with more accessible stuff like Swansong and Moonshake. When they played live rather than playing the songs as they were on studio albums they generally reinvented them into something different and fresh making their live stuff much more worth checking out. They were even great at spontaneously composing tunes on the spot out of thin air.

Jan 22, 2015 5:39 AM

Waifu_Strangler said:

What reasons do you need? They played a very wide range of different styles and did things no other artist at the time was doing. The were made innovative use of electronic music. Just because some of their tracks sound like a mash up of instruments to you just means its not your style but their songs are generally very well composed. They were masters when it came to creating musical textures. The members were all very skilled at their instruments. They were able to balance between more unconventional tunes like Aumgn and Peking O with more accessible stuff like Swansong and Moonshake. When they played live rather than playing the songs as they were on studio albums they generally reinvented them into something different and fresh making their live stuff much more worth checking out. They were even great at spontaneously composing tunes on the spot out of thin air.[/quote]

All I have to say is that I sse absolutely nothing of what you praise them for in this, you remind me of a self proclaimed art connaiser that can conjure up a variety of reasons for why the piece is so great yet it boils down to complete horseshit. You've gotta try harder than that.

Jan 22, 2015 5:50 AM

TheConquerer said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

What reasons do you need? They played a very wide range of different styles and did things no other artist at the time was doing. The were made innovative use of electronic music. Just because some of their tracks sound like a mash up of instruments to you just means its not your style but their songs are generally very well composed. They were masters when it came to creating musical textures. The members were all very skilled at their instruments. They were able to balance between more unconventional tunes like Aumgn and Peking O with more accessible stuff like Swansong and Moonshake. When they played live rather than playing the songs as they were on studio albums they generally reinvented them into something different and fresh making their live stuff much more worth checking out. They were even great at spontaneously composing tunes on the spot out of thin air.

All I have to say is that I sse absolutely nothing of what you praise them for in this, you remind me of a self proclaimed art connaiser that can conjure up a variety of reasons for why the piece is so great yet it boils down to complete horseshit. You've gotta try harder than that.[/quote] Are you truly ignorant? What do you mean you can't see any of what I'm saying? Dude most of what I said is bloody fact. Your the one not showing any intelligence because rather than debating what I said you just pretend you didn't understand. Any idiot can listen to the tracks I offered and see that Can touches a wider range of styles than let's say Led Zeppelin or Nirvana. By your definition A whole Lotta love is a weak song because the middle is just a mash up of different sounds. The rest of the song is normal but Soup by Can is kinda like that. Starts off rather conventional catchy rock song and eventually goes nuts into a psychedelic mess but you would put off this song as crap sand call a whole Lotta love a masterpiece because your an elitist who only cares for popular bands you probably grew up with and are afraid to admit that anything else is better. I'm clearly being more intelligent than you because your criticism boiled down to they sound like a mash up of instruments while I've given you plenty of valid reasons why your wrong but your too ignorant to understand what were very straightforward reasons.

Jan 22, 2015 6:22 AM

Well you lost that argument the moment you considered everything you said as fact lost your cool.

Jan 22, 2015 6:29 AM

TheConquerer said:
Well you lost that argument the moment you considered everything you said as fact lost your cool.
No you lost because you didn't even put up an argument. I said most was fact not all. Yes it is a fact that their live versions of their songs are generally very different sounding than their studio versions. Yes it is a fact that they've played many different styles of music. Yes it is a fact that they balance between less accessible music and more commercial stuff. Yes it is a fact that they spontaneously composed many of their songs out of thin air. I hate to break it to you but your a very bad troll. Nobody can be this bloody stupid I swear to God.

Jan 22, 2015 6:58 PM

I can quite clearly hear each instrument most of the time. Sometimes I'll choose one and just follow it throughout a song; it rewards repeat listening. Really nice production, one of the many things I like about them.

I'm not sure if that's what was meant by a "mash of instruments", though.. If you're talking about the often somewhat "free and loose" song structures, then I don't know what to say. It does help to keep in mind that they did improvise a good deal even on their studio albums, editing down lengthy jam sessions. Maybe broaden your horizons a bit? Or it could just not be your thing, man. That's cool, too.

Waifu_Strangler said:

Been on my radar for ages, just haven't gotten around to them yet. Not sure if I'd like them, honestly. Really should give them a try, though.

Jan 22, 2015 7:06 PM

SchnickelFritz said:
I can quite clearly hear each instrument most of the time. Sometimes I'll choose one and just follow it throughout a song; it rewards repeat listening. Really nice production, one of the many things I like about them.

I'm not sure if that's what was meant by a "mash of instruments", though.. If you're talking about the often somewhat "free and loose" song structures, then I don't know what to say. It does help to keep in mind that they did improvise a good deal even on their studio albums, editing down lengthy jam sessions. Maybe broaden your horizons a bit? Or it could just not be your thing, man. That's cool, too.

Waifu_Strangler said:

Been on my radar for ages, just haven't gotten around to them yet. Not sure if I'd like them, honestly. Really should give them a try, though.

Highly recommend Not available and God in three persons. They can tend to be silly but in an artsy way.

Honestly I tried explaining things to The Conquerer and it seems like he's not at all interested in understanding Can I think he came in to piss me off because I said Can is better than Led Zeppelin in another thread. I've given him plenty of reasons why I feel this way but he doesn't seem to want intellectual debate as much as pushing his opinion around.

Jan 23, 2015 6:02 PM

Bump