Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 20, 2015 2:26 AM

Jul 2014
I see very often One Piece watchers complain about the low quality Animation. So why is the Animation bad? Is it because of the budget? But isn't One Piece the most popular Anime in Japan? Making millions in merchandise and sales? You'd think they would Animate the series better with such success. I'm confused.
Jan 20, 2015 2:39 AM

Jul 2010
I really also want to know that .__.
My guesses are that 1) it's been going on for so long that because of the quantity of episodes they have to produce weekly they might be low on cash and 2) with One Piece's huge success they can still make profits even if the watchers aren't too happy with the quality.
It makes me really sad for anime-only watchers, it must take a lot of their enjoyment away.
Jan 20, 2015 2:43 AM
Feb 2011
Varus said:
I see very often One Piece watchers complain about the low quality Animation. So why is the Animation bad? Is it because of the budget? But isn't One Piece the most popular Anime in Japan? Making millions in merchandise and sales? You'd think they would Animate the series better with such success. I'm confused.

The goal for any company is it to make the most amount of money with the least amount of investment.
I will give you an example. Let’s say a One Piece Episode costs 100k to produce. Now they increase the budget for an Episode to 150k. This is an increase of 2.5 Million in the yearly budget. So this means they have to generate 2.5 Million more revenue through merchandise and other revenue streams. The question is will better animation sell more toys or get more people to watch it Sunday mornings at 9. The answer is most likely no.
So the answer to your question is that because it is one piece and everyone knows about it, they can treat it like shit without losing any money.
Jan 20, 2015 2:58 AM

Apr 2014
The only explanation I can think of is because they start outsourcing animator from Philipine.
Jan 20, 2015 7:24 AM

Jul 2011
Josl said:
So the answer to your question is that because it is one piece and everyone knows about it, they can treat it like shit without losing any money.
Jan 20, 2015 7:32 AM

Oct 2008
Because Toei ,simple as that.Also known as the "were gonna put the least amount of effort possible " company
Jan 20, 2015 8:02 AM

Jun 2014
Josl said:
Varus said:

The goal for any company is it to make the most amount of money with the least amount of investment.
I will give you an example. Let’s say a One Piece Episode costs 100k to produce. Now they increase the budget for an Episode to 150k. This is an increase of 2.5 Million in the yearly budget. So this means they have to generate 2.5 Million more revenue through merchandise and other revenue streams. The question is will better animation sell more toys or get more people to watch it Sunday mornings at 9. The answer is most likely no.

Exatcly what I came here to say. Toei is just a greedy studio. One Piece is so popular that they can literally make an episode of people laughing from different camera angles for 20 minutes and it will still get high tv ratings so why care?
Jan 20, 2015 8:55 AM

Oct 2013
The problem on majority of people way of thinking is basically the misconception that budget is directly related with quality. Something that is totally wrong.
Budget is a good heuristic, meaning that is a non optimal(correct) way to see how a projects(in general) works, but gives enough information to an outsider to take some insightful conclusions. But that ends there!
If we take budget as directly related with quality. One Piece has an average budget for the industry, getting a production cost of 10,000,000 Yen per episode, in other words 84,360 Dollars per episode. So One Piece quality is average. Something that really is, even if a ton of people say it is horrible.
For comparition, you have Cowboy Bebop that at the time was a high budget project(but nothing crazy) and got 20,000,000 Yen per episode in average, or in other words 168,720 Dollars, the double of One Piece.
Note: The information about One Piece budget and Cowboy Bebop is in Anime News Network here:
One Piece -> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=836
Cowboy Bebop -> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=13

Now about what people have to understand if they don't want to be confused about something as simple as One Piece misfortunes, that some people see to much of them.
More than Budget in a project the most important is Time, Staff Quality and Management.
Time - It doesn't matter how much money you throw in a project, time is a big restriction about the quality of the end product. But note that everything isn't about adding more time.

1- If you give to the best animator in the world an animation for him to do, but instead of the 6 days needed to make a good work out of it, you give him just 1 day, then he will do at best a mediocre job and normally an horrible one!
2- If you give 1 year to do a job that takes 1 month, it will not make the job better at all.

Budget and Time - Key animation(and other things in production) is not payed by time taken, but by frames. Though, something will get a better quality given more time(though remember that after some time things don't improve no more).

One Piece Time situation - The team has a super limited time to do each episode in a week, so they have to make the best out of it, and not make everything perfect, given that will also not mean more profit at all, but make sure that everything is watchable.
More important than spending time everywhere, is more important to know what needs more time and what needs less. So basically a management of time is needed with the limited time given.

Staff Quality - The quality of staff mainly determines the final quality of the work and not how much money it is given to the staff.

1- A bad animator, for example you(if you aren't a good animator), doesn't matter how much money is given to you, you will totally still make things with basically the same quality you always have. If there is improvement it will not be much for sure.

Budget and Staff Quality - Majority of Staff is not payed by how well they do a work. For how well they do a work gives them promotions, prize money and salary increase later. So basically every staff member receives around the same as another staff member with the same or similar role. Meaning that an animator that draws really well and a animator that is mediocre in drawing will get the same money for their work.
This means that a better scene doesn't mean immediately that it costed more money. The same for the opposite, a worse scene doesn't mean immediately that it costed less money.

One Piece Staff situation - One Piece project is a really big project, really big. It is needed 5 entire teams, where you could have just 1 to create a short running anime, to make it possible to show 1 episode per week every year(making now 15 years).
Given that, One Piece project has an enormous number of people, and because of that exist an enormous variability in quality between members. That could not happen, but for that Toei would need to have a really rigid and strict contracting policy and taking that is hard to believe the company would be as big as it is and that would probably make them pay everybody more.

Management - Different projects need different approaches.
The level of complexity and problems are totally different between those projects and iss the manager, in this case producer and director, main job to define how they will tackle those, and that decision will decide how things go.
Budget has little to do with this. Allocation of resources as a lot more to do with is, being those resources time, budget, staff and other limitations that arise for the projects.

1- A project with only amazingly good management decisions will make any project flow effortlessly, but a project with horrible management decisions can turn any project a living hell.

2- Depending on the complexity and limitations in a project there are limited courses of action a manager can do and so there is a limited level of quality that each project can get.

Budget and Management - It normally doesn't matter how much budget is pumped into a project, the way its initially requirements(complexity and limitations) are defined in the beginning will have a major impact in how the all project goes.
Though more Budget can also mean that some of those complexity and limitations are removed, and so a better end product.

One Piece and Management - One Piece project has a lot of limitations.
From 1 episode per week continuously, making the need of enormous amount of staff working parallel with each other, from Oda words they have at least 5 entire teams doing an episode in parallel.
To the distance the manga is to the anime and how much chapters are made, making the pace choices being totally limited and small.

Conclusion: Being One Piece a super complex project with a lot of limitations. It is understandable the quality it has.
Comparing something like One Piece with a nighttime short-running anime is most times unfair, because the objectives are different and the way and things to handle are different as well.

For more specific information about how things in One Piece is done, Arlongpark Forums have a section about the anime and the study of One Piece animation -> http://forums.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=19995

Here you will know more in specific who are the people working in an episode and other interesting things.
bigivelfhqJan 20, 2015 9:08 AM
Jan 21, 2015 1:06 AM

Jan 2014
ainky said:
Josl said:
So the answer to your question is that because it is one piece and everyone knows about it and probably watching it for more than the animation, they can treat the animation like shit without losing any money.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 21, 2015 7:30 AM

Nov 2010
RedRoseFring said:
ainky said:
Jan 21, 2015 7:35 AM
Oct 2014
Josl said:
So the answer to your question is that because it is one piece and everyone knows about it and probably watching it for more than the animation, they can treat the animation like shit without losing any money.

But Toriko's animation was treated badly too.
I mean look at Pierrot, Bleach and Naruto's animation out spark One Piece's by far at times.
I just think they're greedy tbh
Jan 22, 2015 5:27 AM

Mar 2012
Josl said:
Varus said:

And that's why Toei is a sellout and has no work ethic. It's like Ubisoft releasing unfinished games.
End Zionazism
Feb 26, 2015 10:01 AM

Jan 2013
Mikasa said:
Josl said:

And that's why Toei is a sellout and has no work ethic. It's like Ubisoft releasing unfinished games.

Reminds me of a certain mangaka
Feb 26, 2015 12:17 PM
Dec 2013
RedRoseFring said:
ainky said:

its not only the animation though
scenes are drawn out, the pacing is abysmal etc.

a great manga such as One Piece deserves more than this trash adaption
shame the japanese don't care
Feb 26, 2015 4:36 PM

Jan 2014
Journey_95 said:
RedRoseFring said:

"Scenes are drawn out" and "pacing" relate to the same thing. So you can just add it in there with animation as one of the things the audience doesn't care about very much.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 27, 2015 5:08 AM

Apr 2012
I think this kind of question will never be solved or be cleared.

First,you can't blame the studio, because making Anime is not EASY or CHEAP as you think.

second,you can't expect them to making a GODLY animation quality like Ufotable,when they have been making One Piece every week for the PAST 16 YEARS.
if they want a better Animation they might as well watch One Piece as 1 or 2 cour show,to give the staff a time to improved the quality.
SWITCHING the studio is not the answer here you know.

third,IT IS true that One Piece is one of VERY POPULAR ANIME in everywhere,selling like a hot cake.SO we need to ACCEPT that THEY DID MAKING IT FOR MONEY,or else WHY WOULD THEY WORK THEIR ASSES EVERY WEEK FOR?

If people still saying "they should put more effort"or something like that,you simply answer "why don't you DO IT yourself then?"

Finally as for me who don't really support One Piece in legal way(by buying DVD and stufff).
I don't have the right to complain about their work.
Zero_ZX13Feb 27, 2015 5:11 AM
Feb 27, 2015 5:44 AM
Dec 2013
Sakata_Kintoki said:
I think this kind of question will never be solved or be cleared.

First,you can't blame the studio, because making Anime is not EASY or CHEAP as you think.

second,you can't expect them to making a GODLY animation quality like Ufotable,when they have been making One Piece every week for the PAST 16 YEARS.
if they want a better Animation they might as well watch One Piece as 1 or 2 cour show,to give the staff a time to improved the quality.
SWITCHING the studio is not the answer here you know.

third,IT IS true that One Piece is one of VERY POPULAR ANIME in everywhere,selling like a hot cake.SO we need to ACCEPT that THEY DID MAKING IT FOR MONEY,or else WHY WOULD THEY WORK THEIR ASSES EVERY WEEK FOR?

If people still saying "they should put more effort"or something like that,you simply answer "why don't you DO IT yourself then?"

Finally as for me who don't really support One Piece in legal way(by buying DVD and stufff).
I don't have the right to complain about their work.

lol what? don't be so blind
we can complain all we want

the anime has turned to shit over the years and for such a great manga to get a horrid adaption like this is a god damm shame

toei basically shits money because of one piece but because they know the japanese people will watch anyway they put ZERO effort in it
lazy and greedy shits if you ask me

oh if only One piece was adapted by Madhouse
good for the HxH fans at least they got a great adaption
Feb 27, 2015 5:51 AM
Dec 2013
RedRoseFring said:
Journey_95 said:

"Scenes are drawn out" and "pacing" relate to the same thing. So you can just add it in there with animation as one of the things the audience doesn't care about very much.

the audience has VERY low standards it seems
they are blind because its one piece

this adaption is trash
Feb 27, 2015 5:52 AM

Dec 2012
If One Piece was adapted by Madhouse, it wouldn't have been still running lol.
Feb 27, 2015 6:04 AM
Dec 2013
tsudecimo said:

yeah probably and I wouldn't mind
I imagine most others (at least here in the west and the sensible one's)) wouldn't either if it means better pacing and animation

I would rather have One Piece every few years but done like HxH instead of the pathetic excuse of an adaption we got
Feb 27, 2015 9:55 AM

Jan 2014
Journey_95 said:
RedRoseFring said:

the audience has VERY low standards it seems
they are blind because its one piece

this adaption is trash

When it comes to the superficial and cover stuff, sure. They're probably way more concerned about content.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 27, 2015 9:50 PM

Oct 2013
Journey_95 said:
tsudecimo said:

I imagine most others (at least here in the west and the sensible one's)) wouldn't either if it means better pacing and animation

I would rather have One Piece every few years but done like HxH instead of the pathetic excuse of an adaption we got

You don't understand!
One Piece wouldn't be in rest for a few years. Its anime adaptation would already have ended!

Madhouse doesn't have capacity to do a very long running series and they certainly don't know how to work with catching up with source material.
Madhouse exists since 1972(1973 was the first anime), 42 years, and their biggest projects are:

Long Running(not seasonal)
- Hunter x Hunter -> 148 episodes, 3 years, material ready before starting

2 Seasons
- The Story of Saiunkoku -> 78 episodes, 39 episodes each season

3 seasons
- Hajime no Ippo -> 127 episodes, the second season jumps 14 volumes from the first, 2nd came 7 years after 1st and 3rd came 4 years after 2nd, at the start of the first season they already had 51 volumes of the manga laid out, but they only adapted 31 volumes in 76 episodes(As comparison, Hunter x Hunter adapted 32 volumes in 148 episodes).

Madhouse doesn't have series with more than 3 seasons, in reality the only series they have with 3 seasons is Hajime no Ippo!
If One Piece was like Hajime no Ippo then:
(4 years and half only with manga, minimum requirement)
1st season
From beginning until end of Skypia (76 episodes, 4 chapters per episode)
(5 years break minimum)
(No Foxy arc, No Water 7 arc, No Ennies Lobby arc)!
2nd season
Thriller Bark (25 episodes, 2 chapters per episode)
(3 years break minimum)
3rd season
From Sabaody Archipelago to return to Sabaody Archipelago (25 episodes, 5.5 chapters per episode)
Feb 28, 2015 7:10 PM

Apr 2009
i dont care about Low animation
Journey_95 said:
tsudecimo said:

what? pathetic excuse of a Adapation? what the hell are you talking about not everything is about animation and the fights are amazing
Jun 29, 2015 3:07 PM
Jun 2015
The anime has been pretty shitty since the time skip that much is true
Jun 29, 2015 4:27 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
It's not bad. Just like pretty much every anime out there since the invention of sakuga, doesn't do much with the animation until there's a scene/moment it wants to emphasize (in the case of One Piece, usually the fights).
Jun 29, 2015 10:06 PM

Oct 2013
8animet said:

Return to Sabaody Arquipelago and fishman Island:
Sakuga
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vwsteZVcZNY3E1bzRfR2xTRWc/view?usp=sharing

Normal parts
(Return to Sabaody)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWCUGdN_nuE

(Fishman Island)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAi3RHgdHdw

Punk Hazard:
Sakuga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ATSIq-yzY

Normal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcnFw63bmW4

People love to complain and exaggerate on what they say about those complains. Also before and after time-skip the animation and budget is basically the same. They just got a lot of care in the Marineford War(that people also love to say is budget. Well, maybe it is) because it was such a pivotal and action packed part of the series.
bigivelfhqJun 29, 2015 10:25 PM
Jun 30, 2015 6:28 AM
Jun 2015
bigivelfhq said:
8animet said:

Sakuga

Normal parts
(Return to Sabaody)

(Fishman Island)

Punk Hazard:
Sakuga

Normal

People love to complain and exaggerate on what they say about those complains. Also before and after time-skip the animation and budget is basically the same. They just got a lot of care in the Marineford War(that people also love to say is budget. Well, maybe it is) because it was such a pivotal and action packed part of the series.

Not sure what you are trying to prove, the animation and pacing already began to go to shit during the Marineford War

No way the anime still has the budget from Water 7/Enies Lobby
Hell Sabaody (first part) had some good fluid animation too, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUYxB95EYQ

Compare this to the shitfest that is Dressrosa
And compare this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzGba31ces
with the lame fights these days

The animation and pacing is just terrible these days, no wonder though since the DBZ director took over during Thriller Bark (as far as I have heard) and Toei got greedier and greedier (those fucks)

The pacing being bad is to be expected since they refuse to do real filler or take breaks, so they have to stretch a half chapter throughout an episode

Thankfully the manga is still great, the anime though is medicore at best
Maou293Jun 30, 2015 6:33 AM
Jun 30, 2015 9:38 AM

Oct 2013
8animet said:
bigivelfhq said:

Sakuga

Normal parts
(Return to Sabaody)

(Fishman Island)

Punk Hazard:
Sakuga

Normal

Not sure what you are trying to prove, the animation and pacing already began to go to shit during the Marineford War

The animation and pacing is just terrible these days, no wonder though since the DBZ director took over during Thriller Bark (as far as I have heard) and Toei got greedier and greedier (those fucks)

The pacing being bad is to be expected since they refuse to do real filler or take breaks, so they have to stretch a half chapter throughout an episode

This hate mentality is totally stupid. Though the one that suffers is you, because you will not enjoy the good things of the series.

What I tried to prove is very simple. The standard animation of One Piece is the exact same and the Sakuga is also the same as always.
What can be said that changed through the time is art-style(including coloring) and animation style(old animatiors changing theirs and new animators with new ones), but that is mostly seen in Sakuga.
So basically it is in fact the same with little differences.

Go watch Water 7/Enies Lobbby again and watch its normal animation. The quality is the exact same as right now(It could even be argued that now is better).

You say that Water 7, Enies Lobby and Sabaody had some good fluid animation. Obviously they have because its Sakuga, but all arcs have Sakuga, and so they all have some good fluid animation.
Dressrossa is not an exception:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r31H00tvHdo&feature=youtu.be&t=55s
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdP5m1XhryM
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2dY3epxzjc
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_u7NpVfKjk

About being greedier. That is just your idea of their state of mind. Because you're hating is obvious your opinion is pretty biased.
In reality being greedier makes no sense in this situation.

Let's see:
One Piece is a show for kids and family. Its objective is to be long and turn into a habit by people. Stopping isn't an option at all. We're not talking of night-time shows or a the new Evening specialized slots(like the Haikyuu!! and Nanatsu no Taizai slot). Breaks just bring casual viewers, the meat of their audience, off to look at other things. So a break 99.9% of times just means end of the series.
Do you really want for One Piece anime to be like Hajime no Ippo anime adaptation?

Fillers. Fillers isn't a good idea either. They are really limited in what they can show, so they normally aren't that good. This sends away a lot of the core audience(casuals) over time. So you don't want long fillers, nor a big frequency of them. Note that the series is made to be watched regularly in Television, not in the internet where people go away when is filler and than return when is canon.
The decision of still going for Fillers or not, knowing its bad points, is something that isn't taken lightly.
Do you really want for One Piece anime to be like Bleach anime adaptation?

Pacing. One Piece manga chapters have around 2 to 3 more content than a normal chapter in other weekly mangas. So I would say that a 1,5 chapters adapted in one episode is enough.
If the original content is well planned and scenes of the story well played out, it can easily be used 1 to 0.5 chapters in an episode. Toei is doing just that, and is doing a pretty good job at it.
Do you really want for One Piece anime to be like Tokyo Ghoul anime adaptation?

In the end the series handling is not perfect, but we aren't in a perfect world either, but is pretty good.
In a world where most anime with breaks don't adapt a source to completion(nor anywhere near it), where majority of anime have a pretty rushed adaptation pacing. A slow and steady, and with the objective of completion(for now) adaptation is a good one.

In a perfect world, Oda would be able to do 2 to 3 chapters per week, and Toei animation would be able to do an episode per week where each one of them has a studio Ghibli quality animation. Things don't work like that at all, and fortunately the target audience of One Piece can't care less for those things.
bigivelfhqJun 30, 2015 9:41 AM
Jun 30, 2015 10:55 AM
Jun 2015
bigivelfhq said:
8animet said:

This hate mentality is totally stupid. Though the one that suffers is you, because you will not enjoy the good things of the series.

What I tried to prove is very simple. The standard animation of One Piece is the exact same and the Sakuga is also the same as always.
What can be said that changed through the time is art-style(including coloring) and animation style(old animatiors changing theirs and new animators with new ones), but that is mostly seen in Sakuga.
So basically it is in fact the same with little differences.

Go watch Water 7/Enies Lobbby again and watch its normal animation. The quality is the exact same as right now(It could even be argued that now is better).

You say that Water 7, Enies Lobby and Sabaody had some good fluid animation. Obviously they have because its Sakuga, but all arcs have Sakuga, and so they all have some good fluid animation.
Dressrossa is not an exception:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r31H00tvHdo&feature=youtu.be&t=55s
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdP5m1XhryM
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2dY3epxzjc
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_u7NpVfKjk

About being greedier. That is just your idea of their state of mind. Because you're hating is obvious your opinion is pretty biased.
In reality being greedier makes no sense in this situation.

Let's see:
One Piece is a show for kids and family. Its objective is to be long and turn into a habit by people. Stopping isn't an option at all. We're not talking of night-time shows or a the new Evening specialized slots(like the Haikyuu!! and Nanatsu no Taizai slot). Breaks just bring casual viewers, the meat of their audience, off to look at other things. So a break 99.9% of times just means end of the series.
Do you really want for One Piece anime to be like Hajime no Ippo anime adaptation?

Fillers. Fillers isn't a good idea either. They are really limited in what they can show, so they normally aren't that good. This sends away a lot of the core audience(casuals) over time. So you don't want long fillers, nor a big frequency of them. Note that the series is made to be watched regularly in Television, not in the internet where people go away when is filler and than return when is canon.
The decision of still going for Fillers or not, knowing its bad points, is something that isn't taken lightly.
Do you really want for One Piece anime to be like Bleach anime adaptation?

Pacing. One Piece manga chapters have around 2 to 3 more content than a normal chapter in other weekly mangas. So I would say that a 1,5 chapters adapted in one episode is enough.
If the original content is well planned and scenes of the story well played out, it can easily be used 1 to 0.5 chapters in an episode. Toei is doing just that, and is doing a pretty good job at it.
Do you really want for One Piece anime to be like Tokyo Ghoul anime adaptation?

In the end the series handling is not perfect, but we aren't in a perfect world either, but is pretty good.
In a world where most anime with breaks don't adapt a source to completion(nor anywhere near it), where majority of anime have a pretty rushed adaptation pacing. A slow and steady, and with the objective of completion(for now) adaptation is a good one.

In a perfect world, Oda would be able to do 2 to 3 chapters per week, and Toei animation would be able to do an episode per week where each one of them has a studio Ghibli quality animation. Things don't work like that at all, and fortunately the target audience of One Piece can't care less for those things.

I'm not "suffering" at all (lol), I barely watch the anime anymore since I switched over to the Manga (since Punk Hazard) and there is no need to since the Manga is 10x better (even though its not as strong anymore as pre time skip)

OP deserves better but obviously we aren't going to get a better anime

I definitely don't want a Tokyo Ghoul type of anime adaption (or Hajme no Ippo or Bleach) I just think its a shame that Toei gives no fucks and puts zero effort into the anime anymore

But since the target audience are kids (probably why they tone down the violence in the anime) in japan they really don't need to since they will keep watching anyway

In your opinion they are doing a good job and if you still enjoy the anime good for you but I (and many others) simply can't

I'm simply not seeing how the animation is supposed to be as good as pre time skip and the pacing is terrible (with annoying reaction shots and stretching out scenes/fodder scenes)

Rewatch Water 7/Enies Lobby and compare it to Dressrosa or Fishman Island, if you won't notice the difference and how much inferior the latter is (not talking about story and characters even) I'm not sure what to say

I just wait for the "big" scenes these days and there are still some moments of greatness
Maou293Jun 30, 2015 11:10 AM
Jun 30, 2015 5:40 PM

Oct 2013
8animet said:

Rewatch Water 7/Enies Lobby and compare it to Dressrosa or Fishman Island, if you won't notice the difference and how much inferior the latter is (not talking about story and characters even) I'm not sure what to say

I just wait for the "big" scenes these days and there are still some moments of greatness

Just recently I re-watched all of the series again. I made my mother start to watch the series, and episode 698(before the current one) was the first we watched together weekly.
We took around 5 to 6 months to watch everything, and no there is no such difference at all. Everything is totally made up from your mind. The animation quality is exactly the same, as it always was!
Toei didn't change, in any significantly manner, how it handles the series from pre to pos time-skip(In the TV anime there was not even a break between Time-skip.)

Everything is basically the same. I totally don't see where this theory that the quality decreased comes.
In reality I see it. As soon has there is any kind of official division, like a time-skip or an arc, people jump into drastic opinions. Is like the division is a check-point where they can point when talking of something.

8animet said:
I just think its a shame that Toei gives no fucks and puts zero effort into the anime anymore

8animet said:

Or they are putting no effort into the anime now or they are putting some. You can't have both worlds!
You're totally contradicting yourself.

Also did you watched at the Sakuga videos I put in my other post? That totally shows you that they aren't putting Zero effort.

8animet said:
But since the target audience are kids (probably why they tone down the violence in the anime) in japan they really don't need to since they will keep watching anyway

One Piece is one of the only anime(probably only with Dragon Ball) where the target audience is the general public, from kids of 6 years to adults of 50. Obviously it started as a kids show, going from kids of 6 years to 15 years, but with the growing popularity and widespread of audiences it changed naturally.

Toei Animation Audience titles:
One Piece -> General
Dragon Ball -> General
Precure -> Girls from 6 to 12
World Trigger -> Boys from 6 to 12
Sailor Moon crystal -> Older Girl fans(20 to 30?)
Saint Seiya Soul of Gold -> Older Boy fans(20 to 30?)
Robot Girls Z plus-> Otaku?(Is a renovation of a title from the 70s using Moefication)
---
Digimon Tri -> Older Boy fans(20 to 30?)

Because the animation didn't significantly changed from before, people that were watching are still watching. That is just normal!

In 2013, 3 years into the Time-skip, One Piece Unoffical went to Japan and made a documentary about One Piece. In that documentary there is an interview with an Animation Director and Key animator in One Piece, Shigefumi SHINGAKI.
He is the Animation Director and Character Designer of One Piece Strong World episode 0.
Go to 1 hour and 12 minutes of the Documentary and watch what he says about One Piece anime: http://oppjapan.com/2014/10/03/the-one-piece-podcast-goes-to-japan-the-movie/
Jun 30, 2015 7:26 PM
Jun 2015
bigivelfhq said:
8animet said:

Just recently I re-watched all of the series again. I made my mother start to watch the series, and episode 698(before the current one) was the first we watched together weekly.
We took around 5 to 6 months to watch everything, and no there is no such difference at all. Everything is totally made up from your mind. The animation quality is exactly the same, as it always was!
Toei didn't change, in any significantly manner, how it handles the series from pre to pos time-skip(In the TV anime there was not even a break between Time-skip.)

Everything is basically the same. I totally don't see where this theory that the quality decreased comes.
In reality I see it. As soon has there is any kind of official division, like a time-skip or an arc, people jump into drastic opinions. Is like the division is a check-point where they can point when talking of something.

8animet said:
I just think its a shame that Toei gives no fucks and puts zero effort into the anime anymore

8animet said:

Or they are putting no effort into the anime now or they are putting some. You can't have both worlds!
You're totally contradicting yourself.

Also did you watched at the Sakuga videos I put in my other post? That totally shows you that they aren't putting Zero effort.

8animet said:

One Piece is one of the only anime(probably only with Dragon Ball) where the target audience is the general public, from kids of 6 years to adults of 50. Obviously it started as a kids show, going from kids of 6 years to 15 years, but with the growing popularity and widespread of audiences it changed naturally.

Toei Animation Audience titles:
One Piece -> General
Dragon Ball -> General
Precure -> Girls from 6 to 12
World Trigger -> Boys from 6 to 12
Sailor Moon crystal -> Older Girl fans(20 to 30?)
Saint Seiya Soul of Gold -> Older Boy fans(20 to 30?)
Robot Girls Z plus-> Otaku?(Is a renovation of a title from the 70s using Moefication)
---
Digimon Tri -> Older Boy fans(20 to 30?)

Because the animation didn't significantly changed from before, people that were watching are still watching. That is just normal!

In 2013, 3 years into the Time-skip, One Piece Unoffical went to Japan and made a documentary about One Piece. In that documentary there is an interview with an Animation Director and Key animator in One Piece, Shigefumi SHINGAKI.
He is the Animation Director and Character Designer of One Piece Strong World episode 0.
Go to 1 hour and 12 minutes of the Documentary and watch what he says about One Piece anime: http://oppjapan.com/2014/10/03/the-one-piece-podcast-goes-to-japan-the-movie/

I will say this you are definitely putting a lot of effort to prove that nothing changed

I guess me and tons of other fans (there is a lot of justified hate for the OP anime) are all just "imagining things" and its just a theory lol

It does feel VERY dragged out though and medicore (the long ass recaps, extra fanservice, stretched out scenes with reaction shots, the filler scenes, lazy animation at certain points etc.)

All that I didn't notice much before the time skip (not saying it was perfect)

The pacing is just terrible, whats your argument for that?
Maybe you like to watch it all at once and not weekly? Then I imagine it wouldn't be that bad

I wanted to rewatch the series anway (only pre time skip though) so I guess I will see for myself, either the OP anime was always bad (if nothing's changed) or it was good and went downhill after Thriller Bark (probably where it began to decrease in quality but it was still solid until the time skip)

There are still some good scenes, they don't seem to put much effort for 80% of the anime but there are still some well done scenes, nothing contradicting about it

Also do you even read the manga? Only after reading it did I realize how much better it is compared to the anime (switched to it during Punk Hazard)

Interesting Documentary btw
Maou293Jun 30, 2015 7:36 PM
Jul 1, 2015 12:37 AM

Oct 2013
8animet said:

I will say this you are definitely putting a lot of effort to prove that nothing changed

Just saying that anything is way worse now is something that a lot people love to do. Even when is definitely not the case.
Just because a lot of people spout vague comments about its quality being worse doesn't make it true.

8animet said:

I guess me and tons of other fans (there is a lot of justified hate for the OP anime) are all just "imagining things" and its just a theory lol

I'm not saying the hate is not justified(Though I don't agree) and just imagination. What I'm saying is that things were the exact same thing way before. Its downgrade after the time-skip doesn't exist.

If the hate is justified now, than the same hate was also justified earlier. I don't agree with the hate now, nor did I agreed with the hate before.

8animet said:

It does feel VERY dragged out though and medicore (the long ass recaps, extra fanservice, stretched out scenes with reaction shots, the filler scenes, lazy animation at certain points etc.)

What majority of people call dragged episodes(here I also most times disagree with) started in Skypiea, but this was mainly only seen in the beginning of the arc. Then it went into Water 7 and Ennies Lobby, but sprinkled throughout the arcs. In Thriller Bark it started being standard. This is like 4 years before the Time-skip.

A funny thing is that some people at the time were complaining a lot about it(One of the main complains about Skypiea arc!), and kept the same complain all throughout the rest of the arcs before time-skip. After time-skip this also continued, but somewhere during the time-skip people started talking like it was something that only started in the time-skip and before it was so much different.

Long Recaps, Extra Fan-service and fillers scenes have nothing to do with animation quality and budget!
In reality I would argue that extra Fanservice and Fillers cost more budget.

Let's talk a little about those:

Extra Fanservice
- What are you talking here? The characters designs? If is that, note that this is Oda character design and the anime always liked to exaggerate them(if you understand what I mean).
This has nothing to do with animation. Unless you're talking of things like boob jiggle animation and explosions, but in that case the animation would be better if they in fact added those things.

Fillers
- You here probably talking of Original content(filler is a derogatory term about content that only objective is stalling. This also normally only talks of full episodes and arcs).
Original content is something that Toei always did, even in Orange Town(Buggy arc) where they adapted 3 to 4 chapters per episode of the manga.
Yep, Less chapters adapted per episode, normally means more original content. This goes even earlier than Skypiea.
Though this in any way means worse animation or budget. Just content that wasn't in the manga really.
Take for example Zoro vs Hody. In the manga it was just one big panel of Zoro cutting Hody. In the anime you have a pretty huge fighting sequence really well animated. This certainly meant bigger animation and more budget spent than if only just the scene of Zoro cutting Hody.

Long Recaps
- As the chapter per episode got shorter the recaps also got longer. Though not as long as you might think. In average right now in Dressrosa each recap takes 1:50 minutes.
They vary from episode to episode though and sometimes, but rarely, we get some extra long recaps that can go as long as 3 minutes. We also rarely get short recaps of 30-40 seconds.
Note that in One Piece the ending merged with the opening and now we have 2:45 minutes of opening instead of the 1:30 minutes standard.
One Piece also has a story introduction that takes every time 45 seconds.

Comparison of start of Thriller Bark(episode 337) and New Opening of Dressrosa(episode 689):

Opening:
Thriller Bark -> 2:30 minutes
Dressrosa -> 2:45 minutes

Story Introduction:
Thriller Bark -> 37 seconds
Dressrosa -> 45 seconds

Recap:
Thriller Bark -> No Recap, but 1:30 minutes of original content/filler
Dressrosa -> 1:58 minutes

If I remember correctly during Thriller Bark the average recap length was around 1:20 minutes. Depending what part of the story it was the recaps increase or decrease(even right now in Dressrosa is the same thing) So they are highly variable.

Dressrosa takes in average 53 seconds more than in Thriller Bark to start new content. Rounded is 1 more minute.
To note that Dressrossa is the arc that the Animation team had to "stall" for more time given the bad health Oda had this last 2 years. Oda only made 3 volumes last year, instead of the normal 4 volumes. this is basically 10 less chapters than normal. Because there is no stop in One Piece production, this was felt with some episodes with just 2/3 of a chapter and 2 episodes just adapting 1/2. Though, this situation already returned to normal.

Now talking about things that indeed can affect animation

stretched out scenes with reaction shots
- Not only they didn't appear after the time-skip, but they and flashbacks are common devices used by Toei, since way back.
Their use is highly variable, and no, they didn't increased in any significant way, or at least not that much, after the time-skip.

Lazy animation at certain points
- What you call lazy animation at certain point are the lows in animation in the series. They existed way way before the time-skip. And they will keep existing.
Now, if you're talking of the standard animation quality right now, I don't understand how you can say before was OK and now is Lazy, when they are practically the same.

Now talking about all of the above

It can be argued that Dressrossa at some given point indeed increased every aspect of those things above(except the increase of Lazy animation), but Dressrosa isn't the start of the Time-skip(it started 4 years after the time-skip).
And is still to be seen if the rest of the arc(that already returned to normal form) and later arcs will keep that interval of Dressrossa as a standard to follow.

8animet said:

I'm not talking of perfection either.

And you only noticing after time skip doesn't mean that it wasn't there. It can exist a ton of reasons why you didn't noticed before time-skip.

8animet said:

Maybe you like to watch it all at once and not weekly? Then I imagine it wouldn't be that bad

I watch the anime weekly since the end of Ennies Lobby arc(when Ussop asked to return to the crew).

For me what I think about the pacing? Is OK. I really like it most of the time.
What I'm arguing with you now is not about what I think of the current situation of One Piece(for that just watch my posts above with links), but the fact that the Time-skip isn't the point where things changed or worse.

8animet said:

I wanted to rewatch the series anway (only pre time skip though) so I guess I will see for myself, either the OP anime was always bad (if nothing's changed) or it was good and went downhill after Thriller Bark (probably where it began to decrease in quality but it was still solid until the time skip)

What are you calling by quality here?
And are you saying that you watched 516 episodes(or 180 from Thriller Bark) of bad anime without even noticing? Maybe you should revise your current ability to qualify things, instead.

8animet said:

There are still some good scenes, they don't seem to put much effort for 80% of the anime but there are still some well done scenes, nothing contradicting about it

Do you know what zero means? Because you said zero, not me. Not putting 80% of effort means that they are putting 20% of effort. 20% =/= 0%, one is nothing the other is 1/5 of maximum effort.

So you were totally contradicting yourself.

8animet said:

Also do you even read the manga? Only after reading it did I realize how much better it is compared to the anime (switched to it during Punk Hazard)

I read the manga since I caught up with the anime, during the end of Ennies Lobby arc, somewhere in 2007.
I've been reading it weekly after catching up with the manga. If I remember well, I caught up during Zoro and Ryuuma fight in the Roof.

Well I don't think the manga is better than the anime. They both have their big good points.
Also the fact that the anime adds new really good content to the manga is a big plus to me.

I'm an avid manga reader and anime viewer and I love them both immensely.
bigivelfhqJul 1, 2015 1:10 AM
Jul 1, 2015 6:40 AM
Jun 2015
bigivelfhq said:
8animet said:

Just saying that anything is way worse now is something that a lot people love to do. Even when is definitely not the case.
Just because a lot of people spout vague comments about its quality being worse doesn't make it true.

8animet said:

I'm not saying the hate is not justified(Though I don't agree) and just imagination. What I'm saying is that things were the exact same thing way before. Its downgrade after the time-skip doesn't exist.

If the hate is justified now, than the same hate was also justified earlier. I don't agree with the hate now, nor did I agreed with the hate before.

8animet said:

What majority of people call dragged episodes(here I also most times disagree with) started in Skypiea, but this was mainly only seen in the beginning of the arc. Then it went into Water 7 and Ennies Lobby, but sprinkled throughout the arcs. In Thriller Bark it started being standard. This is like 4 years before the Time-skip.

A funny thing is that some people at the time were complaining a lot about it(One of the main complains about Skypiea arc!), and kept the same complain all throughout the rest of the arcs before time-skip. After time-skip this also continued, but somewhere during the time-skip people started talking like it was something that only started in the time-skip and before it was so much different.

Long Recaps, Extra Fan-service and fillers scenes have nothing to do with animation quality and budget!
In reality I would argue that extra Fanservice and Fillers cost more budget.

Let's talk a little about those:

Extra Fanservice
- What are you talking here? The characters designs? If is that, note that this is Oda character design and the anime always liked to exaggerate them(if you understand what I mean).
This has nothing to do with animation. Unless you're talking of things like boob jiggle animation and explosions, but in that case the animation would be better if they in fact added those things.

Fillers
- You here probably talking of Original content(filler is a derogatory term about content that only objective is stalling. This also normally only talks of full episodes and arcs).
Original content is something that Toei always did, even in Orange Town(Buggy arc) where they adapted 3 to 4 chapters per episode of the manga.
Yep, Less chapters adapted per episode, normally means more original content. This goes even earlier than Skypiea.
Though this in any way means worse animation or budget. Just content that wasn't in the manga really.
Take for example Zoro vs Hody. In the manga it was just one big panel of Zoro cutting Hody. In the anime you have a pretty huge fighting sequence really well animated. This certainly meant bigger animation and more budget spent than if only just the scene of Zoro cutting Hody.

Long Recaps
- As the chapter per episode got shorter the recaps also got longer. Though not as long as you might think. In average right now in Dressrosa each recap takes 1:50 minutes.
They vary from episode to episode though and sometimes, but rarely, we get some extra long recaps that can go as long as 3 minutes. We also rarely get short recaps of 30-40 seconds.
Note that in One Piece the ending merged with the opening and now we have 2:45 minutes of opening instead of the 1:30 minutes standard.
One Piece also has a story introduction that takes every time 45 seconds.

Comparison of start of Thriller Bark(episode 337) and New Opening of Dressrosa(episode 689):

Opening:
Thriller Bark -> 2:30 minutes
Dressrosa -> 2:45 minutes

Story Introduction:
Thriller Bark -> 37 seconds
Dressrosa -> 45 seconds

Recap:
Thriller Bark -> No Recap, but 1:30 minutes of original content/filler
Dressrosa -> 1:58 minutes

If I remember correctly during Thriller Bark the average recap length was around 1:20 minutes. Depending what part of the story it was the recaps increase or decrease(even right now in Dressrosa is the same thing) So they are highly variable.

Dressrosa takes in average 53 seconds more than in Thriller Bark to start new content. Rounded is 1 more minute.
To note that Dressrossa is the arc that the Animation team had to "stall" for more time given the bad health Oda had this last 2 years. Oda only made 3 volumes last year, instead of the normal 4 volumes. this is basically 10 less chapters than normal. Because there is no stop in One Piece production, this was felt with some episodes with just 2/3 of a chapter and 2 episodes just adapting 1/2. Though, this situation already returned to normal.

Now talking about things that indeed can affect animation

stretched out scenes with reaction shots
- Not only they didn't appear after the time-skip, but they and flashbacks are common devices used by Toei, since way back.
Their use is highly variable, and no, they didn't increased in any significant way, or at least not that much, after the time-skip.

Lazy animation at certain points
- What you call lazy animation at certain point are the lows in animation in the series. They existed way way before the time-skip. And they will keep existing.
Now, if you're talking of the standard animation quality right now, I don't understand how you can say before was OK and now is Lazy, when they are practically the same.

Now talking about all of the above

It can be argued that Dressrossa at some given point indeed increased every aspect of those things above(except the increase of Lazy animation), but Dressrosa isn't the start of the Time-skip(it started 4 years after the time-skip).
And is still to be seen if the rest of the arc(that already returned to normal form) and later arcs will keep that interval of Dressrossa as a standard to follow.

8animet said:

I'm not talking of perfection either.

And you only noticing after time skip doesn't mean that it wasn't there. It can exist a ton of reasons why you didn't noticed before time-skip.

8animet said:

I watch the anime weekly since the end of Ennies Lobby arc(when Ussop asked to return to the crew).

For me what I think about the pacing? Is OK. I really like it most of the time.
What I'm arguing with you now is not about what I think of the current situation of One Piece(for that just watch my posts above with links), but the fact that the Time-skip isn't the point where things changed or worse.

8animet said:

What are you calling by quality here?
And are you saying that you watched 516 episodes(or 180 from Thriller Bark) of bad anime without even noticing? Maybe you should revise your current ability to qualify things, instead.

8animet said:

Do you know what zero means? Because you said zero, not me. Not putting 80% of effort means that they are putting 20% of effort. 20% =/= 0%, one is nothing the other is 1/5 of maximum effort.

So you were totally contradicting yourself.

8animet said:

I read the manga since I caught up with the anime, during the end of Ennies Lobby arc, somewhere in 2007.
I've been reading it weekly after catching up with the manga. If I remember well, I caught up during Zoro and Ryuuma fight in the Roof.

Well I don't think the manga is better than the anime. They both have their big good points.
Also the fact that the anime adds new really good content to the manga is a big plus to me.

I'm an avid manga reader and anime viewer and I love them both immensely.

Lol that was supposed to be sarcastic man (the anime being always bad)

Anyway good for you if you like the anime, I think its pretty bad (for reasons already stated)
It wasn't perfect before the time skip either (I do remember the Skypiea arc dragging same with Marineford) but I feel like the quality got definitely worse (slowly, its not as if post time skip everything just changed, the decrease started during Thriller Bark)

I don't even see how you can put the manga and anime in the same league (in general), it has much more detail, its uncensored, less silly fanservice, the pacing is pretty good, things aren't dragged out etc.

Its how the creator intended it to be
Oda deserved a better studio, oh well at least the voice actors and OST are great

Like always the original work is better (no surprise there, its the same with Tokyo Ghoul, Naruto etc.)

Maou293Jul 1, 2015 6:50 AM
Aug 27, 2015 1:31 PM

Dec 2012
Answer: Because it's TOEI
Apr 8, 2021 3:03 AM
Apr 2021
One Piece is cost about $100k because of workforce because in the anime was in Japan it cause double or triple the budjet to make so toei animation decided to move their production to Philippines so they can save their money.

Quality
The quality of animation is good for me, they improve it than others expect and also no problem about this because country of choise to animate this is good and i doesnt say teh animation is going to fall rather than the animation is very good especially wano country arc.

Workforce
The workforce this time of pandemic is limited so the anime was only aired every sunday and this time all animators was stricly limited due to Enhanced Community Quarantine in the Philippines and Lockdowns in Japan so the workforce is strictly limited and some of them recieve lower salary and also the show sometimes was move to japan because of holidays in the Philippines.

Time
The show is only aired on sunday rather than every weekend because of the workforce and make way to make way Oda's advancement to manga so the company doesnt first than original autor.

Animation Hardware
Animation Hardware is unknown but i think their hardware at work is linux for animation at companies building and Microsoft
Windows when the animators work from home so the animation was changing everytime.

Please dont judge Toei Animation because they only followed the guidelines of the Japan and Philippines to stop COVID 19 spread in this two country but we need to support them to make their shows succesful and their work is not failure and also i respect how staffs and animators work the show only to make entertaiment to us so please who judge the company please dont judge them by their works and respect them.
Apr 8, 2021 3:11 AM

Jan 2009
long running shows without seasonal breaks usually piles up production errors that eats away at the production time of each new episode so ye no amount of budget can solve not enough time to animate properly and no hiring more animators will just make more inconsistent drawings thus bad animation again

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 145 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VARIAchan - Jan 1, 2010

54 by kejora »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 6

165 by Turisuto »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 360 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mulderman - Jul 4, 2008

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 359 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 26, 2008

46 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 899 Discussion ( 1 2 )

blank - Aug 24, 2019

54 by scarywolf143 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.