Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2015 7:53 AM

Jun 2008
I'm pretty sure I've asked this with other people in a chat room somewhere, but I forgot if it was ever on this forum.

Basically, what criteria do you set for what you consider as friends?

Is it the time spent with them? Is a closer friend someone you spent a longer time with than a not-so-close friend?
Is it how much you trust them? How do you come to trust someone?
Is it how much you enjoy their company?
Is it to what extent you would help them out?

These are the questions I ask when I start to consider what qualifies as a friendship. Which one is the most important question? Probably trust. But trust isn't a dichotomy between trust and distrust. We have a continuum to how much details we're willing to share to another, and it isn't often just a black and white concept. Trust is also coincidentally gained or lost based on the time spend with them, as well as how much you enjoy their company.

One may ask, well who really cares what criteria you have for friendship? If you like them, you're a friend. I have no problem with this answer, but often we like someone because of, well, reasons. Criteria help us understand what reasons those are. Is it similarity that makes us like them? Is it how they remind you of someone you used to like?

So what are your reasons for determining who is a friend, and who isn't?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 18, 2015 7:55 AM

Dec 2013
You may want to read this if the topic interests you.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1254635&show=0
Jan 18, 2015 7:58 AM

Jun 2008
Derped hard.

Maybe there will be new replies. :[
Jan 18, 2015 7:59 AM
Jun 2014
Tachii is my friend
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Jan 18, 2015 8:00 AM

Dec 2013
You just fucked my mind

Eh...i guess a friend is someone i like and want to spend time with.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 18, 2015 8:03 AM

Jul 2013
A good thing to understand what is considered a friend is to provide a definition of a friend through necessary and sufficient conditions.
Jan 18, 2015 8:05 AM

Dec 2013
Tachii said:
Derped hard.

Maybe there will be new replies. :[

Well wasn't my intention to point out your fault. Though yeah, it's been two months there'll probably be different and new replies.

Though on topic a friend to me is just someone I get along with and we hang out often. We both enjoy chatting and have no expectations of each other or the friendship. That said I would be strict with my trust in them. Say I loan them $50 and they don't pay me back. The next time they come asking for money it'll be a no until I'm repaid.

As for a closer friend being one I spend more time with, that's somewhat true but not entirely. I could chat with someone for a year and it only be small talk. Though I could have a week hang out with someone else and discuss life,philosophy,personal problems, etc and feel closer to them than the previous. That said I don't do the whole "best friends" thing, either my friend or not.
AstrosJan 18, 2015 8:09 AM
Jan 18, 2015 8:07 AM

Jun 2008
Soren333 said:
A good thing to understand what is considered a friend is to provide a definition of a friend through necessary and sufficient conditions.
Thanks for summing up my entire post in a sentence I guess lol

Lending money is a tough one to be honest. People know I'm cheap as hell, so I'd only consider lending if I *really* trust them to handle money, not how much I trust them as a friend. Speaking of which, I still own a guy 10 dollars lol
Jan 18, 2015 8:11 AM

Apr 2013
Soren333 said:
If they can hang they're a friend.
Jan 18, 2015 8:11 AM

May 2014
I think a friend is someone who gives as much dedication and support to me as I do to them. People I consider friends are those who aren't annoying, even if they don't realize it or are intentionally acting as such. Sadly the people like those described in the last sentence are not in the minority. It's why I choose not to socialize because everyone is the same here. Especially since my only option for friends are those in high school like me.

High school is a very fragile period in an adolescents life. Very rarely do people walk out of high school with a diploma and as many friends as they had prior to going into high school. So I guess what I'm saying is that if I have to choose between being hurt and avoiding social contact with other high schoolers, I'd always choose the latter.

I can socialize; I just choose not to.
Click my sig
Jan 18, 2015 8:12 AM

Dec 2013
Glad to see you back, if you were ever gone.

It is mostly how comfortable I feel around them, how low can I drop my guard and let my true character come out. It does involve a fair amount of trust, this friendship. I don't really need to trust them, all I ask is from a friend is for them to trust me.
Jan 18, 2015 8:13 AM

Dec 2013
Tachii said:
Thanks for summing up my entire post in a sentence I guess lol

Lending money is a tough one to be honest. People know I'm cheap as hell, so I'd only consider lending if I *really* trust them to handle money, not how much I trust them as a friend. Speaking of which, I still own a guy 10 dollars lol

Depends on the reason for the loan to me. If my buddy needs gas money to get to work then I'm more open to that then helping them buy a new electronic. Also the act of lending them money is a good way to build trust. It's like a test of sorts to see how reliable they are.
Jan 18, 2015 8:16 AM

Oct 2013
I dont think its the time spent with them. Ive been in all classes with the same people since freshman year highschool (hs is 5yrs here) to graduation day and i can only call 5 friends and 1 a close friend. Also, i met a guy through a friend on christmas eve and i swear we became close friends in a week if not less.

To me a friend is someone you have awesome chemistry and great convesations with. When u can talk for hours but it feels like minutes, trust, enjyment of company and how much you wanna help them grows without even noticing :) It can all start of like BAM in a first witty conversation.

Havent u ever shared like 5 sentences with a stranger look at them and yet thought "We're gonna be good friends i bet" and their giving you that very look too.
Jan 18, 2015 8:19 AM

Jun 2008
-Taiyou said:
I think a friend is someone who gives as much dedication and support to me as I do to them. People I consider friends are those who aren't annoying, even if they don't realize it or are intentionally acting as such. Sadly the people like those described in the last sentence are not in the minority. It's why I choose not to socialize because everyone is the same here. Especially since my only option for friends are those in high school like me.

High school is a very fragile period in an adolescents life. Very rarely do people walk out of high school with a diploma and as many friends as they had prior to going into high school. So I guess what I'm saying is that if I have to choose between being hurt and avoiding social contact with other high schoolers, I'd always choose the latter.

I can socialize; I just choose not to.
Nowadays I imagine you can just maintain contacts with friends after graduation via online means.

But I know what you mean. People often cease communication altogether. Then you'd know who considered you as a good friend, and those who could care less if your presence is there.

Now though I understand friendship isn't really bad as I used to think. It's not like I made a choice to reconnect with those people either. If they thought the same way that I ceased communication because I didn't think they were a friend, then friendship by definition won't go very far after high school. But if I made the effort to connect, that I told them I still think of them as a friend, then that bond continues, or at least have a better chance than testing your friendships by seeing who talked first. I like to think now that testing friends is probably just a lazy way of trying to justify your lack of effort since "they didn't really care either".

By no means am I saying that was you, it was my mentality back then, however.
Jan 18, 2015 8:22 AM

May 2014
Tachii said:
snip
I hate testing people as well, but when you've been fucked over by as many people as I have, you start to realize that there's no other way. And I'm not in public school, I'm in home school, lol. My Mom has been trying to get me into social skills class though, even though I don't really need it.
Click my sig
Jan 18, 2015 8:26 AM

Jun 2008
eiramu17 said:
I dont think its the time spent with them. Ive been in all classes with the same people since freshman year highschool (hs is 5yrs here) to graduation day and i can only call 5 friends and 1 a close friend. Also, i met a guy through a friend on christmas eve and i swear we became close friends in a week if not less.

To me a friend is someone you have awesome chemistry and great convesations with. When u can talk for hours but it feels like minutes, trust, enjyment of company and how much you wanna help them grows without even noticing :) It can all start of like BAM in a first witty conversation.

Havent u ever shared like 5 sentences with a stranger look at them and yet thought "We're gonna be good friends i bet" and their giving you that very look too.
lol I don't really know if it's a "look". But just how long you can maintain a conversation I guess.

For most people, you can talk about somethings but conversation will eventually stop quickly. For others, you can just talk more to them, and you always feel you have more to talk about. This isn't something I can see in someone. Or after 5 sentences. But over time you notice, wow, I can always go to them to talk about things. But that might just be I think of friendship as someone I can share my life to without holding back.
MrSantaEye said:

It is mostly how comfortable I feel around them, how low can I drop my guard and let my true character come out. It does involve a fair amount of trust, this friendship. I don't really need to trust them, all I ask is from a friend is for them to trust me.
Who...

Good points there. But usually there is mutual trust in a friendship ideally, right?
Jan 18, 2015 8:30 AM

Dec 2013
taiichi said:
MrSantaEye said:

Who...

Good points there. But usually there is mutual trust in a friendship ideally, right?

Oh, I just remember liking your threads, and then they stopped is all I mean. While ideally that is true, I am a liar by nature, so if people don't trust me as much I can understand that.
Jan 18, 2015 8:30 AM

Feb 2014
To consider somebody friend in my case, someone should be trustworthy. That's the most important thing. We should also match as personalities though, since i won't be able to talk to him freely otherwise.
Jan 18, 2015 8:32 AM

Oct 2014
A friend is someone who takes you home after getting intoxicated.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2015 8:36 AM

Mar 2010
You guys are all my friends (checks friendliest) Oops fuck no.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 18, 2015 8:46 AM
Dec 2013
If someone chooses to hang out with me even though they know my true colors then they are my friend.
Jan 18, 2015 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
I ask myself "If (insert the name of person in question) died, would I care?". If the answer is "yes" then I consider that person a friend
Jan 18, 2015 8:53 AM

Mar 2014
I find this question a bit too difficult.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Jan 18, 2015 8:59 AM

Jan 2013
If I have a conversation with you that lasts more than a few lines, you're a friend.
Jan 18, 2015 9:14 AM

May 2014
NarTaco said:
If someone chooses to hang out with me even though they know my true colors then they are my friend.
Click my sig
Jan 18, 2015 9:31 AM

Jun 2008
NarTaco said:
Do you share your true color to people that aren't your friends?
Jan 18, 2015 9:37 AM
Jul 2018
if you buy me food or give me the pickles from your BigMac, you are a true friend。
Jan 18, 2015 9:38 AM

Jul 2014
Someone I spend time with and enjoy spending time with on a regular basis. If I consider someone a close friend or not depends on the level of trust, how much I enjoy spending my time with them, how much I'm willing to confide in them and what compromises we're willing to do for each other.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Jan 18, 2015 9:40 AM

Nov 2014
Meokii said:
if you buy me food or give me the pickles from your BigMac, you are a true friend。

Burger King is where it's at, mate.
#tybg
bitch mob #1 member
Jan 18, 2015 11:56 AM

Mar 2014
i think there are different kinds of ''friends''. where i live we call others friends very fast. When you hang out with someone multiple times they are considered your friends. i call those people i like to spend time with. I think you can really see who your true friends are in bad times. They are the ones who are with you as fast as they can when something shit has happened to you and they are the ones who forgive you when you make a mistake because they think you are worth it and believe you can better yourself.
"Be it a rock or a grain of sand, in water they sink as the same."
Jan 18, 2015 12:20 PM

Jul 2013
Starchaser187 said:
I ask myself "If (insert the name of person in question) died, would I care?". If the answer is "yes" then I consider that person a friend

That is deeeeep

For me it would be.. If you make me laugh, hang out with me and we know each other pretty well then you're a real friend.
Jan 18, 2015 12:22 PM

Jul 2014
som1 i like to spend time with
Jan 18, 2015 12:28 PM

Jan 2014
Someone I spend a decent amount of time with and know sort of well, I guess...

I'd consider someone a friend if I was sure that they felt the same way about me.
Jan 18, 2015 12:35 PM

Jun 2008
Cookieking said:
som1 i like to spend time with
My friend is my friend because I like them.

#notdeep
Jan 18, 2015 12:36 PM

May 2012
I'm not really sure myself.

Someone whom I spend a bit of time talking to, even if it's just every once in a while.
Someone I enjoy talking to?

For me, the other person doesn't need to have the same interests or be a saint to be my friend. I mean, I do try to avoid people like that, but if someone like that ends up being someone I consider a "friend" then so be it. I mean, one of the friends I talk to most nowadays is, well, an ass, but I do enjoy talking to him and care for the dude since he's a friend, so personality-wise, it doesn't matter...

Dammit, I don't know. x_x Now you got me thinking about this

It just happens.

Jan 18, 2015 12:38 PM

Jul 2012
Friends are people you enjoy spending time with and talk with regularly who feel the same about you. They are people one can depend on to try and help you if necessary who you'd do the same for, and they are people that can look past one's faults and flaws. Friends may argue and bicker, but in the end they learn to let things go.
Jan 18, 2015 1:43 PM

Feb 2014
Someone you can have great banter with.
I walk a lonely road because everyone else fell off
Jan 18, 2015 4:45 PM

Jul 2014
I don't call people my friends very fast. My best friend actually lives on another continent and I only get to see her once a year if I'm lucky. So..I don't really spend a lot of time with her. But the time I do spend with her is always quality time.
I'm somebody who gets bored of people very quickly. with most people you can only converse up to a certain level and it will never go beyond that. My best friend is completely different when you compare her to me but I appreciate her a lot for giving me different insight on things.
My biggest criteria in calling people my friends is... they need to be able to tell me when I did something wrong. Openly. In my face. Just the plain truth. I need input ok I always need input and I need to know how I can change myself as a person. And I am also somebody who will always tell her friend when they did something wrong. So it needs to be somebody who is able to take criticism and not feel personally offended at every little thing i say or do. I don't have the energy for that.
Also a friendship can only be build if two people work on it. It's a process. And both need to be invested and interested.
I personally happen to attract a lot of people who really want to be my friends simply because I'm nice to them. I don't hate them or anything and I'm also not fake.. it's just simple manners.. but that seems to attract a lot of people who then.. REALLY look up to me and it's the most annoying thing when somebody always tries to change for you. Like I will never enjoy somebody who isn't capable of expressing their own thoughts and feelings without having to fear my reaction and what i might think of them afterwards. being your own person is good man.
i also think you can find the most amazing friends in people you might've never even thought of before. don't reduce your circle of friends to people who're only interested in the same type of music/clothes. even if you might not like their taste they can still be awesome people who'll help you to grow as a person.
also somebody you can be in the same room with for hours and not talk and not feel uncomfortable/awkward at all...

lmao sorry i wrote a lot bye
chuuzenjisJan 18, 2015 5:54 PM
Jan 18, 2015 4:46 PM

Jul 2012
Someone who genuinely wants to talk to me and hang out with me for fun and not for school-related purposes.
Jan 18, 2015 4:51 PM
Sep 2014
SparkleBunnies said:
Someone I spend a decent amount of time with and know sort of well, I guess...

I'd consider someone a friend if I was sure that they felt the same way about me.

H-hi kouhai
Jan 18, 2015 5:51 PM

Aug 2014
Why isn't there an "all of the above" option? o.0
Jan 18, 2015 6:13 PM
Jul 2018
The one who remembers my birthday and knows how to spell my name.

Those are usually the people I consider my friends.
Jan 18, 2015 6:16 PM

Jul 2014
those who send me cute pm's on here pssssh hint hint
Jan 19, 2015 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
- Someone who is there for you when you are hurt
- Someone who will tell you that you are beautiful even when it's a lie
- Someone who will help you out with issues (mostly family issues)
- Someone who will never back off
Jan 19, 2015 1:51 PM
Jan 2015
someone who gives a shit about you.
Jan 19, 2015 2:25 PM

Jun 2008
Nanet said:
Why isn't there an "all of the above" option? o.0
There is, you just have to say you share all those questions, like I have. Write your own opinions, don't choose from a silly list I made. :p
Fiction-S said:
The one who remembers my birthday and knows how to spell my name.

Those are usually the people I consider my friends.
Who have the time and effort to remember birthdays when it can be saved and displayed on your contacts list? I mean, realistically speaking, there's definitely better things to remember, maybe your interests, your personality, rather than such mundane numbers and names. Or at least, that's what I think. I'm personally awful with birthdays. The only one I know is my parents, and that's only because their birthdays are exactly a month apart. I know no one elses (aside from my own or people that's on the same day as me.)
Jan 19, 2015 2:47 PM

Oct 2012
Someone who I can talk freely about anything and feel comfortable with.

Jan 19, 2015 3:17 PM

Jul 2014
One thing is for sure. To get and maintain a friendship is a strenuous matter. At least for me.

I'm now pretty cynical about friendship. I probably had trustworthy friend back in my teen years, but now I have shallow relationships, mostly. Ranging from co-workers which I see just at my workplace to old childhood friend which I grew increasingly distant with the passing years. some of them are still good friends, but not spontaneous and straightforward as before. Also, as I said before, is tiresome to maintain this friendship.

Right now, I just wish for healthy and cheerful friendships. Trust and empathy can be secondary if there's complicity and spontaneity. When shit happens, a smile can be more comforting than a declaration of loyal friendship.
Feb 25, 2015 5:34 PM

Jul 2014
when they openly tell me when i was being a little bitch and that i need to calm my tits they're friendship material.
Feb 26, 2015 6:05 AM

Dec 2013
Tachii said:

Is it the time spent with them? Is a closer friend someone you spent a longer time with than a not-so-close friend?

The time spent may be considered a factor, but I don't think that's all there is to a friend.

Tachii said:
Is it how much you trust them? How do you come to trust someone?

Of course. A close friend is someone you trust.
But when it comes to winning my trust.. It's delicate. I grew to be very skeptical of the others, & I haven't really trusted a ' friend ' nor made a 'close friend' for the last years.

Tachii said:

Is it how much you enjoy their company?

Of course, it goes without saying that one would enjoy his close friends / friends' company. But we can also enjoy other less closer people's company.

Tachii said:
Is it to what extent you would help them out?

I would want my close friend to be happy. I would help them out whenever I feel like they need it.

Tachii said:

Is it similarity that makes us like them? Is it how they remind you of someone you used to like?

No, just no.

Tachii said:
So what are your reasons for determining who is a friend, and who isn't?

When it comes down to this, I think that what is truly important, is to have the same concept of friendship.
That doesn't mean having the same ideas, & the same tastes, no. It just means to lead the friendship towards a mutual agreement.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What if Burger is on a stick?

Dragevard - Feb 10, 2022

11 by Nayborie »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

57 by Ejrodiew »»
37 minutes ago

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - 8 hours ago

6 by Dumb »»
40 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 6 hours ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

9 by fae »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.