Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Shounen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 50 Episode 2 Discussion

Jan 17, 2015 5:11 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A calm episode on most parts. Honestly I think the guys are doing okay with their careers. Not too much happened though so this was another more of those breather episodes.

The weather was a cool breather. Looks like the group has a lot of fans still. Also, I find the new ED song to be kinda....lol creative? The owl (I think it's named "cat") is certainly a little highlight there.
Modified by Stark700, Jan 17, 2015 10:36 AM

Jan 17, 2015 12:38 PM

Ok! Cat is my new favorite character! Hands down! (Sorry Shun!)

I liked this episode a lot actually! Getting a few scenes with the present and some with the former Shounen Hollywood was a very nice breather! I am sorry to say that I am a bit more interested in the former SH than the present one ^^'

I hope they start climbing the idol ladder a bit more from now on.

I wasn't really into it the previous season, but I sure am looking up at this!

Jan 17, 2015 1:22 PM

"I am offering psychological support." Lol good one.

I can't believe Maki mistook 'Cat' for a cat... srsly. Guess that's where Cat's name came from. All hail Maki.

The ED was like watching a pokemon evolution.

Jan 17, 2015 2:36 PM

We got to see a little more of the old group. It was also nice to see how everyone joined the new shounen hollywood. And what the president meant with that last words? I never understand him. Cat had more attention, i don't like owls but he was a bit cute when he was little.

Jan 17, 2015 6:46 PM

Nice to know about the first group of Shounen Hollywood and Cat's back-story!

Jan 17, 2015 7:30 PM

This whole episode seemed so nice. I loved how it was from Cat's(the owl) point of view of Shounen Hollywood past and present. It's was also funny how some of them were recruited to be idols. I loved old Shounen Hollywood's more but the present ones are not that bad either~<3

Jan 17, 2015 10:56 PM
I really liked how this ep went into depth with the past.

It was fun to see the first Shounen Hollywood! God was very good looking. x)
I also liked the scenes that showed how the present Shounen Holly came to be.
Shun and Maki are my favorite so far <3
Cat is adorable as well.

Jan 18, 2015 1:04 AM
Anime Moderator
Aww that Cat ED was so cute. It sounded kind of like a lullaby. I would say my favorite ED so far despite no singing X)

Definitely nice to see the previous generation of Shounen Hollywood, and especially the reason why they disbanded at the peak of their idol career. I teared up at their goodbye stage, it was sad when the fans shouted "don't disband!" :(

Anyways, I was happy for the current group that they have fans who cry tears of joy after watching their performances, as well as fans who would love to shake their hands. However I can also understand God's harsh words at the end, though it's kind of hard to explain. Simply gaining more fans and having successful performances won't be enough to be "eternal idols."

Jan 18, 2015 10:58 PM

Nice to see how Shonen Hollywood was back then and now from Cat's POV

CAT ED ADORABLE <3

Jan 19, 2015 7:58 AM

Cat is so cute!! When it's small. haha.

I love the backstory of the former SH group. Really sad when they had to disband :( I like that their fans are called 'Oranges' xD reminds me of VIPs for BigBang and Blackjacks for 2NE1.

Jan 19, 2015 2:14 PM
Sanji Fangirl

BEST EPISODE SO FAR!!
Cat was the only reason i continued watching the prequel, and the reason why i picked up the sequel.

And i'm so glad we got to see more of the previous group. I want to see grown up versions of the other members that we haven't seen so far.

Jan 19, 2015 6:47 PM

so many 'aw' moments. loved the part where the old shounen hollywood had to say goodbye to their fans ;v;

Jan 19, 2015 9:07 PM

nice! i liked the last part

very documentary-like structure.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Jan 23, 2015 7:25 AM

I like seeing the old group. I really like Ryu. I'm interested to know more about him - there's got to be a reason why he's so crazy, haha.

Cat is great. I hope Makki will get Cat to sit on his shoulder one day.

Jan 23, 2015 2:44 PM
shirenz said:
And what the president meant with that last words? I never understand him.

I'm not sure. They've been leaning to the realistic side so it may mean that it's not economical, and they need them to be more than local sensations if they are to cover their debt.

Feb 6, 2015 12:37 AM

The Ending was so so so cute I was legit tearing up >.<

CAT<3

Feb 7, 2015 9:02 PM

Getting really hurt, and losing his parents while just a child. Getting adopted, making friends, then losing his adoptive parent... and all his friends (but one) after that. And know, making new friends and learning to trust again...
My heart goes to Cat!

They know! The creators know that Cat was the best chara in the previous season!

Sep 5, 2015 11:25 AM

cat is so cute!!! love the ed

Sep 7, 2015 3:03 PM

One of the guys from former Shounen Hollywood really looked like Shota Matsuda.

Jun 18, 2016 12:03 AM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

Shounen Hollywood has been an absolute pleasure to watch thus far, and this episode solidified this sentiment. We've had insights into why everyone's in the idol business and what drives them to stick around, but an episode that details what actually got them started, as well as insights into the previous generation's success and departure, all leading up to the reformation of the group? This added another dimension to the show that I truly appreciate. This whole anime has been laid back and sentimental, but there has always been this underlying melancholic feeling that's never too prominent, at least until everyone's insecurities come afloat during key moments, such as the last few episodes of the first season.

I recently found out that this series was actually based on a novel that told the story of the previous generation, which I find really fascinating. I won't be checking it out, but since that story exists, it makes sense for the anime to be constantly referencing past events. There seems to be a good amount of material to work off of, but I appreciate the show for not revealing everything about the past, instead keeping a sense of mystery and mysticism about the previous generation.

We've had various members drop in on the current members to give words of wisdom, but I wasn't too interested in what they were saying. To be specific, I greatly enjoyed the aspect of older members giving the younger generation pointers in terms of both show business and life experiences, but what I truly enjoyed by their visits was seeing how they've matured since departing from Shounen Hollywood. They're no longer teen idols. They're in idol industry pushing newcomers to fulfill their potentials. They're taking up solo careers. They have families, their own non-idol aspirations, and passions that branched off from their original dreams. To put this into perspective, this is something I'd more so expect from Bartender than an idol anime. These are real, tangible stories presented in a down-to-earth fashion.

Still, as an anime-only viewer, all I know about the previous generation is that they were a tight-nit group with big dreams and a world of success before them. Now, the new generation of Shounen Hollywood has to somehow fill in those shoes in the face of a multitude of expectations: from the industry, from the past members, from their fans, and from themselves.

Despite being an idol anime, there's not much emphasis on actual performances. I'm not really big on all the bells and whistles associated with idol anime though. The flashing lights, choreographed dance routines, and inoffensive pop songs aren't really my thing. As such, the absence of actual idol activities and a super exaggerated aesthetic doesn't phase me. If anything, I'd say the presence of such distractions would undermine the personal stories being told here.

Looking at the score for the first season, I expected an anime I could disrespect and watch on the side while working on other stuff. I quickly found that this anime was using silence quite well, which I've always held as a sign of a good anime. Being loud, excited, dramatic and impactful seem to be the go-to tactics to garner attention, which I've been numbed to in recent times. I'm instead more attentive to shows that instead take slower approaches to their stories, if just for moments at a time. Shounen Hollywood gave me that and much more.

Looking at some of the reviews for the past season, I can see it was branded as boring, uneventful, and unimpressive. I actually enjoy boring, uneventful shows like this that are about daily life, as they highlight smaller nuances of characters rather than relying on gimmicks and sound bytes to flesh them out. These characters really feel like people I could meet on the street which, I'd say, is impressive in and of itself. There's really no dire need for arc-based stories, intense traumas, rivalries and overtly eccentric aesthetics. Simple stories like these can stand on their own merits, which is the inherent strength of slice of life.