Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Death Parade Episode 2 Discussion

Jan 16, 2015 12:59 PM

So after all that theory crafting and shit going on, it turns out that Decim just fucked up ?
Nona's design is reallllly nice.
Another solid episode none the less.

Jan 16, 2015 1:00 PM

Pretty cool episode - did they mention what happens if the two people refuse to play the game yet? If the mannequin prompt doesn't work?

Jan 16, 2015 1:01 PM

I really like how this episode played out. It's like the makers know their audience very well, because they knew what everyone would be discussing after the first episode so the second one addressed those concerns very satisfactorily. Nothing short of perfect.

Vexper said:
Pretty cool episode - did they mention what happens if the two people refuse to play the game yet?

They can't leave the place, so... pretty much nothing ?
"Even now, I travel on my journey,
Believing in the world,
Aiming for something far away – an endless journey.
Having a dream like someone else’s,
Or being in someone else’s dream –
Which would you prefer?"

I hope they dont continue creating recaps after each game episode

Jan 16, 2015 1:03 PM

So a lot of speculations that have been going on are confirmed now. Still I don't think the Void is actually intended to be a "good" thing, like many people here might believe.
And Decim isn't actually a perfect judge, huh...

What I think is a bit sad, that even if two morally more ore less good persons get there, one still is going to the Void, maybe just because they behaved a bit too unfriendly while playing the game.
Like in this case, neither her cheating nor his paranoia should be reason enough to get your soul thrown out of existence^^

Liked the episode overall, and I hope there also is more to the plot beside the games in the following episodes, but I'm optimistic on that!

Jan 16, 2015 1:04 PM

marriage said:

Same, though I'm hopeful we'll get a combo of eps1&2 for episode 3 (game+simultaneous analysis) since the makers of this show seem to know really well what they're doing.

Jan 16, 2015 1:06 PM

im too hungry to even realize what was going on
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 16, 2015 1:07 PM

1cebear said:
What I think is a bit sad, that even if two morally more ore less good persons get there, one still is going to the Void, maybe just because they behaved a bit too unfriendly while playing the game. Like in this case, neither her cheating nor his paranoia should be reason enough to get your soul thrown out of existence^^

Maybe that will get brought up later on in a different game. Probably by Onna. And then Nona will object. :p
YouTube (Umineko Chiru spoilers!) - VNDB - Steam

Jan 16, 2015 1:08 PM

1cebear said:
So a lot of speculations that have been going on are confirmed now. Still I don't think the Void is actually intended to be a "good" thing, like many people here might believe.
And Decim isn't actually a perfect judge, huh...

What I think is a bit sad, that even if two morally more ore less good persons get there, one still is going to the Void, maybe just because they behaved a bit too unfriendly while playing the game.
Like in this case, neither her cheating nor his paranoia should be reason enough to get your soul thrown out of existence^^

Liked the episode overall, and I hope there also is more to the plot beside the games in the following episodes, but I'm optimistic on that!

if people like eternal darkness then sure.

Jan 16, 2015 1:10 PM
vodall said:
I'm really not sure why people like this anime so much. Sure, it's OK, but.. So many others have tackled this theme and failed, so why would it work now?
This episode just seemed like an excuse to clean up the mess that was the first one.
You think it's an excuse to provide an explanation on how things work after all questions it left from the first episode? Not that the production for this episode was already finished months ago I don't know why you would think that? And you can't fathom other people have different tastes/opinions than you? Looking at your favorite animes you could probably realize for yourself many users would not be into them as myself but that's just my personal taste/opinion. No need to be so shallow. And I wouldn't name say so many have tackled this theme, it's actually unique in itself compared to the same rehashed "romance" theme/genre anime you're into.
blaze it

Jan 16, 2015 1:10 PM

Yup, this is definitely AOTS (Excluding tge sequels) if it goes on like this.....Such a deep episode

I fucking knew that the wife was putting on an act and that she was lying about all that stuff that she said!!!!!!!

I already felt bad for her but now I feel really bad :( Seeing all my suspicions get confirmed made it even harder for me.

Also, I liked how Decim realized that he fucked up too because that guy should have gone to the void. Yeah what the wife did was bad, but in the end she really did love him and she was going to tell him.

This entire situation was the man's fault, and because of his nature/trust issues he was completely blind to the truth and as such he would have never been able to at least make amends before he past even if she told him the truth about her feelings (Plus like the wide said, him knowing that he was wrong about everything would have made things worse for him so props to the wife for being a good person)

The way this series goes into human nature is just amazing, and the depth behind it all is too cool

Nona is an interesting character as well, so far I like everyone we got introduced to especially the assistant because I think that same way as she does

5/5ï episode for me, can't wait to find out more

Jan 16, 2015 1:13 PM

Freaking hell... I just can't get enough of the damn OP... it's just too epic and I just need to dance with them XD.

Ah, so this is going to be a "behind the scenes" type of episode and show us how things work.

So I was right to think that Machiko lied for Takashi's sake and ended in the void for him.

LOL, so Nona's the boss around there XD?

Really nice episode and I can't wait to see what kind of people will visit them next time.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."

Jan 16, 2015 1:14 PM

This was basically a recap. They just explained the first episode, and if you payed attention in the previous episode you already knew most of the information given this episode. This episode was disappointing, I just hope they won't stop to explain every other episode.

Jan 16, 2015 1:15 PM

Boring. Can we move away from this couple already?

Though I like the fact that Decim made a mistake.
I thought he was going to be a 'perfect' character but I guess not.

Jan 16, 2015 1:16 PM

SalemWitch said:
marriage said:

Same, though I'm hopeful we'll get a combo of eps1&2 for episode 3 (game+simultaneous analysis) since the makers of this show seem to know really well what they're doing.

Explaining everything thats happening wouldnt make it very interesting imo and would take any mystery out of it, shots of the people entering either the void or reincarnation elevators were enough for me

Yeah, I thought they would keep the tension and explain as little as possible, but looks like the series is going to have a more relaxing tempo.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199

Both opening and ending -animation and songs- are pretty damn amazing in this show! I'm very happy with iit.

[mmmm short girl sure is bossy.cute]

Jan 16, 2015 1:18 PM

Seeing the other side of the previous episode was really interesting. Nona was a bit scary with Decim there.. I thought he was in charge (wrong apparently).

Jan 16, 2015 1:23 PM

marriage said:
SalemWitch said:

Explaining everything thats happening wouldnt make it very interesting imo and would take any mystery out of it, shots of the people entering either the void or reincarnation elevators were enough for me

I'm sure the analysis will also serve for expanding the world and familiarizing ourselves with Onna and Decim. There's still so much unknown: can two people who die at the same time be reincarnated? Does this mean both can also be sent to the void? Where did Onna come from? What happens if two people refuse to play the game? Who exactly are Nona and Decim? Who are they all, really?

I'm sure all this will be covered in future episodes because the makers knew exactly what people would be discussing after episode 1 and so made episode 2 with this in mind. Stands to reason they would follow this pattern and answer the questions they pose in each episode in the next one, which means no episode will follow a specific format.

Jan 16, 2015 1:24 PM

darkreaver94 said:
Very good episode. It shows how quick a person pass a judgement towards others without truly understand them. Decim admitted his mistake which is what I liked about his character. He might undergo some character development with the help of Onna :)

5/5. Interested to see the next game.

Exactly, like everyone saying she deserved the Void for cheating once. Man, that's so f*cked up, having a person/thing that doesn't understand human emotions and actions to judge humans....based off their emotions and actions!

Jan 16, 2015 1:25 PM

-inwA_ said:
I already asked myself even if she lied why she went to Void, and now we know it was Decim's fault that the Girl went to Void, he misjudged the Situation, nice Twist.
yeah, kind of guessed that's why Machiko said that in the last episode. This explanation confirmed my suspicion.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱

Jan 16, 2015 1:30 PM

It's nice to see this series won't be episodic :D Loved the way they showed last ep from a different perspective.

Decim actually making a mistake.

I'm loving Nona quite a lot :3 She's interesting.

Looking forward to nxt eps couple. Bowling :O

Jan 16, 2015 1:31 PM
I liked the world building as I feel it was what the series lacked in the first episode - but the first half was a bit of a pain to watch with how much it repeated itself...

I feel like it could have been done in a better way which didn't require so much repetition. but I don't think this episode makes the first better. The problem was that it gave too much information too quickly and relied on the shock value in the first episode - if you think it over after the fact you can make more sense of it but moments like the bit where it was revealed she cheated were so short in the first episode there was little chance of you making the correct decision.

You can argue that was the point, but even as someone who happened to guess right the first time I still felt the episode was more style than substance with a rather predictable series of events happening.

I do think the idea of the world is very interesting and I don't think Ep 1 or 2 were bad by any stretch of the imagination, but there are issues I'd like to see resolved as the series move forward or it's going to get very samey very quickly. The first ep already feels worse than the Anime Mirai short...so I hope the series picks up as it goes forward.

Jan 16, 2015 1:31 PM

koroX said:
This was basically a recap. They just explained the first episode, and if you payed attention in the previous episode you already knew most of the information given this episode. This episode was disappointing, I just hope they won't stop to explain every other episode.

Um, why would they do this after every episode? They just used Kurokami no Onna as a stand in for the audience to explain how shit goes down. Also, it wasn't really a recap as seems to be Decim's story; this whole ep was to show us how flawed he is.

Jan 16, 2015 1:40 PM

I'd like to see Nona's backstory, I have a feeling some bad events made her an arbiter.
They explained what happened to the couple but there's still unanswered questions... But it's okay, next week we're moving on.

Also, I wonder if it's possible that both people end up going to 'hell'/'heaven' together.

Jan 16, 2015 1:40 PM

koroX said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

Um, why would they do this after every episode? They just used Kurokami no Onna as a stand in for the audience to explain how shit goes down. Also, it wasn't really a recap as seems to be Decim's story; this whole ep was to show us how flawed he is.

It wasn't 100% a recap, but there was too much repetition imo. I just don't like when they explain everything in these kind of shows, it is better when they let the viewer think. When I watch these kind of shows I don't want the answers handed on a silver platter.

Understandable.

Jan 16, 2015 1:43 PM

Just going to copy my post from another forum:

Ok, this was nice. Rolling all over it again from the other perspective to make the decision more clear but in a way that there is still room left for thought. I love how they have to interpret the human actions and show how hard it is even if you know their memories. What a nice theme for a show. I havn't spoiled myself with the preview but I'm looking forward to the next episode.

TheUnbiasedOne91 said:
White haired little b.tch already annoying

I thought she is quite an intriguing character.

InstaKiller said:
Only i heard the poe ost at 13:25?

You mean Path of Exile? I'm not too familiar with the whole OST, only listened to it a few times. I don't recognise the part you mentioned but it surely is the same style.

Skullcrusher said:
Interesting, this was better than the first episode.

I agree, although the first episode was necessary to make this episode work.

Jan 16, 2015 1:44 PM

Also, at the end, Decim and Nona weren't talking to each other.

Nona seemed to be talking to a higher up, and was told that the term would only be 3 months.

Could them be talking about Machiko's term in the Void/Hell? As that would follow the Buddhist influences, that were also prominent in this ep as well.

Jan 16, 2015 1:50 PM

Meh, nothing new.

Jan 16, 2015 1:52 PM

Too much hand holding for my taste. Episode 2 ended up being a huge disappointment.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Jan 16, 2015 1:52 PM

Nice, Durarara/Baccano-esque episode.

Just what is that place Nona went in though, seems very mysterious and gives off a nondescribable feeling or atmosphere... Where are they..?

Jan 16, 2015 1:58 PM

L O V I N G T H I S

While it was perfectly clear what happened in the first episode, them spelling it out must have helped clear the confusion for some people. I was honestly amazed at how dense some viewers were.

Nice to see them spending time on world building. That's what everyone wanted coming out of Death Billiards.
-What do you mean life doesn't work like my Chinese cartoons!?

Jan 16, 2015 2:04 PM

I don't like Nona...I hope the rest of the added characters won't be collection of character types i can't stand..............

Also,i don't think it's particularly fair to judge people based on the games. People (but also all living things) simply act differently when they are put in tight a spot. But it doesn't mean you are automatically shitty person. And on top of that when the judge is not even perfect...

But hey,it's only anime:D

Jan 16, 2015 2:05 PM

I love the mystery of this series.

Jan 16, 2015 2:07 PM
Ehh it was an ok episode.

Jan 16, 2015 2:10 PM

Great episode! Finally have clarification :D ! I'm starting to love the upbeat opening, it kinda reflects upon the show that's full of death and all that. 9/10 episode.

Jan 16, 2015 2:18 PM

I like how arbiters aren't infallible. Would have been too simple if that was all there was to the story. Rather, just like Decim said himself, he's not a god; he can make bad calls.

Jan 16, 2015 2:22 PM

I feel like there wasn't really any need to explain all that, it almost makes disappear the magic and mistery behind it, but oh well, hopefully the next episodes will makes up for it.

Jan 16, 2015 2:24 PM

Great explanation for last week's episode. This just go a lot more interesting.

Jan 16, 2015 2:31 PM

I really liked it. Lot of clarifications about how the system works but mysteries as well. I suppose the people in that place... grows in trees. That nonna woman must be the "gardener" of that place.

Jan 16, 2015 2:41 PM

Great episode explaining the arbiter system as well as looking at Takeshi and Machiko's scenario in Onna's point of view. Shows that even Decim can make human errors too.

Loving the OST and animation so far and looking foward to the bowling mini-game next week. =D

Jan 16, 2015 2:53 PM

Damn i should have sticked with my first theory, I thought it seemed too obvious that she would lie to him like that. I was surprised to see this episode explain it behind the scenes.

Jan 16, 2015 2:59 PM
Nice episode...
1) The clarification, although partially unnecessary, set up things up for later on (and clarfication for those who hadn't payed attention in ep 1)
2) It seems to me Decim is either an constructed spirit or someone who died without barely any personality to speak of. Nona certainly used to be human however it seems - her insight and emotions are clearly human-influenced. Of course it's possible she's akin to the Buddhistic/Shinto version of an angel (not sure if that exists in those religions though) who has interacted with humans a lot before becoming an arbiter.
3) Onna, it seems, certainly IS an human, who was selected as an assistant after her death. I'm interested to know actually due to this how that system works.
4) Is the bar a place for those to redeem themselves? Since the only options seem to be reincarnation and the void, and no mention of 'a higher plane of existence' akin to heaven/Nirvana/etc
5) That OP and ED keep me wanting <<>>
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Nth incarnation of NRVNQSR

Animatic (Anime-fanatic)

Jan 16, 2015 2:59 PM

The op is already growing on me
I need MOAR

Black_wind said:
Also,i don't think it's particularly fair to judge people based on the games. People (but also all living things) simply act differently when they are put in tight a spot. But it doesn't mean you are automatically shitty person. And on top of that when the judge is not even perfect...

But hey,it's only anime:D

When I watched the first episode this bothered me a bit too, like who the hell is decim and what gives him the right to say whether or not you go to heaven? But since this episode showed us that he's not perfect and can make mistakes, I'm starting to think that maybe it's about how flawed the system in general is. The new girl (forgot her name >.<) seems to be a lot more human than decim, so I'm guessing they'll disagree on things like this a lot more in the future, and from what we've seen of her personality, I doubt she'll hold back. At least I hope they do that, it would be really interesting -- kinda like psycho-pass if you think about it :D

Btw it kinda scares me to think of how many other people decim could have been wrong about...
Modified by oh_hai_mark, Jan 16, 2015 3:09 PM

Jan 16, 2015 3:06 PM
So Void is bad then. She still deserved it because of her cheating. I didn't like how the Nona seemed to justify Machiko with a WELL IT WAS JUST A ONE TIME THING. One time, a million times, it's all the same. Good job Decim.

Jan 16, 2015 3:07 PM

After this episode I can expect this show isn't merely about exploring the dark side of human after all, that has been done a million times and I don't think Yuzuru Tachikawa would ever get the chance if this is all he can come up with. There is going to be more emphasis on the characters and the theme rather than just the world itself. The first two episodes are just a prologue to bring out how the system function and Decim can made mistakes since he lacks understand of human emotion and reaction in certain situation, that's why Onna is there to assist him from a more humane angle. Nice.

Jan 16, 2015 3:11 PM

I hope the next dramas will be less typically heteronormative, because how long can you watch people getting married/together while not being friends to themselves and in the result ~not being able to communicate like normal human beings~
Plx teach these people proper communication

great anime, now it's time to wait... ლ(ಠ ಠლ)

Jan 16, 2015 3:14 PM
DerMond said:
BVerfG said:

First he said he made the wrong call, second you're not really paranoid if there really is someone after you. He thought she cheated on him and she did. He was just wrong about the scope of the cheating. Now I personally think neither negligent killing nor cheating is necessarily grounds for blasting the soul out of existence, but then again...

He was paranoid, as he couldn't trust anyone.
Agreed that both things shouldn't be enough to send someone to the Void. But again, if the Void is the disappearance of the soul, you can consider it better than reincarnation depending on your beliefs.

I for one, and pretty much all the major religions would say cheating is grounds for blasting the soul to hell lol. It is not some light offense. It's complete and utter betrayal towards the person who should be closest to you. There is never a justification for it. She got what she deserved and she didn't really love him if she was willing to cheat regardless of the regret.

Takashi was justified but he was still a pitiable person because of his inability to trust.

Jan 16, 2015 3:16 PM

Didn't expect this episode to be an explanation to the first...very introspective.
Now that Decim has a "human emotions" assistant let the next game begin!

Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »