Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ace of the Diamond
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 10, 2015 4:02 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not bad this episode. I like how some members of the team are regaining confidence again including the coach. Eijun is still hanging in there though...

It'll be a matter of time again before they take on their next challenge so I hope he can pull it together.
Jan 10, 2015 5:59 PM

Jul 2010
Glad to see everyone recovering with Sawamura being back to normal from the rivalry! He eating his rice without any falling o.o

Miyuki being the captain! It was nice to see the discussion to involve 2 other 2nd years.

Nori still thinking about the game. Who is being the ace does pique my interest though I don't feel like the three really fits, not that it matters much in a relay.

Just when I was starting to feel bright again, the coach is resigning after the fall tournament :/ Sigh, just who would replace the coach... still a last chance to make it to the national before he leaves.
Jan 10, 2015 8:34 PM

Sep 2013
Let's see how this goes.

Sawamura <3
Jan 10, 2015 8:36 PM

Feb 2013
Nori's attitude sure made this a heavy episode.
Jan 10, 2015 9:18 PM

Jul 2014
eh... in the ED you can see furuya wearing number 1.
Looks like its gonna go back on the track on Furuya no Ace :/
when will sawamura ever get to be ace haih....
BlitzkriagJan 10, 2015 9:47 PM
How do I signature?
Jan 10, 2015 9:50 PM

Jul 2014
Oh and looks like Zono is gonna play a big part in the new team. Chances are he or miyuki will be a new cleanup.
And looks like we're gonna see more of kanemaru too.
How do I signature?
Jan 10, 2015 11:42 PM

Jun 2012
Blitzkriag said:

Lmao I was thinking the same thing. Pretty big spoiler there in the ED.
Jan 10, 2015 11:52 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Miyuki the new captain :) Haha poor Kuramochi who had gotten his hopes up even just a little. But he definitely agrees that Miyuki would be a fitting captain, in terms of looking forward instead of dwelling on their mistakes. He was the first probably to have started to look at what they did wrong and what he could've done instead. But it's also true as Maezono said, that Miyuki may not understand how other's feel, those that had to work their way to the first string. This was seen with how he felt that no one could help Nori get back up except for Nori himself. But the others thought differently and told the leader-in-training (:P) that he should be the one to say something. Miyuki is straightforward and definitely doesn't mince words, but I think he also has a lot to learn about being a captain. Go Miyuki! Loved his speech too. They need to be greedy about winning!

New ED is okay, I liked the fourth and the fifth one better. Dang can't believe we're already at the 6th ED >< The ED also made me feel sad because the third yeeears
Jan 11, 2015 12:21 AM

Jul 2011
Ah, well. of course Furuya would be the new Ace. I didn't catch that in the ED though, so I was spoiled. I liked all the Vs though, I thought it was refreshing compared to the episode.

But Miyuki as new captain was a given. He's the one with the most presence. Everyone's going to be lashed by his words though! Never expected the coach to resign, but I guess now we get a whole cast of characters. I'm somewhat excited. They better go farther this time. D:<
Jan 11, 2015 12:36 AM

Jul 2014
Lol at the ED. Furuya the new Ace & Sawamura crying in the back.

Okay some new member gonna have a major role in the team.
Jan 11, 2015 2:21 AM

Oct 2013
wow the coach is resigning
didn't see that coming
will be to see a lot of new characters.
Jan 11, 2015 3:55 AM

Jan 2012
Nooo coach why :( He can't... not seeing the 3rd year is already sad enough :( Already miss them >< Fortunately it seems we'll see them next ep oO

Anyway Miyuki blushing hahahha
Jan 11, 2015 4:05 AM

Sep 2008
I so happy with Miyuki :D
Well... I was pretty sure he will be new capitan,
so this wasn't surprise.

Also glad that coach is resigning too...
I like him, but... this is cool way that since 3 years couldn't win with him as coach,
this whole time...
This would be sad if he made championships without 3 years.

That ending...
I feel Furuya will be Ace, but they spoiled whole thing...
Why they don't want until next episode to show new ending?
They haven't changed OP, but they could change ED?

Eh... Why everything is so simple for Furuya?
Like he don't really need hard/work to much to get what he want? -.-
Jan 11, 2015 4:47 AM

Nov 2011
LittleStar said:

I wouldn't say that Furuya doesn't work hard - it's a bit unfair to say something like that about him. He is perfectly aware what is his main problem - and that is lack of stamina and he is focused on correcting this one in the first place. He was the first one to start training again after loosing to Inashiro, exactly like Miyuki was the first one to analize the whole game. When comparing Furuya to Sawamura one can get an impression that only Sawamura is struggling with his faults, but I think that's mainly because his extrovert character makes it so obvious to everyone around. Furuya is completely different type of a person so his inner fights are somehow more composed. But that doesn't mean that he is not working hard to become stronger and to become Ace. For the time being I think he has more ace-qualities than Sawamura who is, of course very talented, but still not as self-aware and confident as Furuya.
Jan 11, 2015 5:00 AM

Aug 2013
I wasn't ready to see Furuya be the Ace. How disappointing :(
Jan 11, 2015 5:21 AM

Nov 2010
Really? we are bringing Zono into the focus? oh c'mon.

Nice episode except the Zono parts.
Jan 11, 2015 5:41 AM

Sep 2014
cornflake-girl said:
LittleStar said:

I wouldn't say that Furuya doesn't work hard - it's a bit unfair to say something like that about him. He is perfectly aware what is his main problem - and that is lack of stamina and he is focused on correcting this one in the first place. He was the first one to start training again after loosing to Inashiro, exactly like Miyuki was the first one to analize the whole game. When comparing Furuya to Sawamura one can get an impression that only Sawamura is struggling with his faults, but I think that's mainly because his extrovert character makes it so obvious to everyone around. Furuya is completely different type of a person so his inner fights are somehow more composed. But that doesn't mean that he is not working hard to become stronger and to become Ace. For the time being I think he has more ace-qualities than Sawamura who is, of course very talented, but still not as self-aware and confident as Furuya.

thank you, wonderful human being, for putting in words everything i wanted to say!!! it's not like furuya getting the ace number now is the sign of him reaching the top, every pitcher in seidou lacks something to become the true ace, furuya as well, but right now he's the most suitable one for the job, other teams are scared of his super-fast pitches, he's more reliable.

this anime's purpose is not to show sawa being the ace (he's not even near that), it's to show his way to being the ace c:
eijunesJan 11, 2015 5:45 AM
remember me for centuries;
Jan 11, 2015 5:51 AM

Sep 2008
cornflake-girl said:
*wall of text*

I don't thought about this episodes...
Just generally...
Even author make Kawakami to be this one on the go the whole weight and a feeling guilty, because they lose.
He give Sawamura some drama, because he also feels like he really messed up...
And there is Furuya who is good, because he wasn't this one who throw at the end,
so he doesn't mess up so why he should feel bad that because of him team lose?

Also, from the start it was always like "All need to show up and proof that they worth to put them into game", where Furuya is like "Oh, he is good so let's him play at the start and then let's maybe we will change him on Sawamura or Kawakami"
Furuya have his faults, but they don't care about it that much because they are focused on his good points, where in Sawamura they look at his bad points and don't really think that he can be good.

This is first time where MC who really working hard is just underestimated.
I don't really feel anything for Furuya, because for me it looks like everything is too easy for him...
Jan 11, 2015 6:01 AM

Mar 2012
Coach resigning wtf. I liked him, I probably can't imagine another character in his position :/
Wait! What if Chris-senpai becomes the coach?! :o Nah, he's gonna become a pro...

Now... for ace I'd choose Furuya, Furuya is consistent but I don't think they can win with just his strong pitches, we will need Sawamura as well because Furuya lacks a good variety of pitches, while Sawamura doesn't. I still believe that Sawamura is going to be a better choice than Furuya in the future.
b1GZZJan 11, 2015 6:04 AM
Jan 11, 2015 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
LittleStar said:
cornflake-girl said:
*wall of text*

Even author make Kawakami to be this one on the go the whole weight and a feeling guilty, because they lose.
He give Sawamura some drama, because he also feels like he really messed up...
And there is Furuya who is good, because he wasn't this one who throw at the end,
so he doesn't mess up so why he should feel bad that because of him team lose?

It's only natural that Kawakami and Sawamura felt guilty - Kawakami was in fact the pitcher who gave up the critical innings to Inashiro and Sawamura was the one who was just a step away from taken his team to Koshien and lost. If things would end up differently and Seido have won, it would be Sawamura or Kawakami who got all the glory and probably nobody would even mention about Furuya, right? I'm not saying, of course, that both of them SHOULD feel guilty, but they can't really help it. If Furuya was in their place, he probably would also feel guilty. So it's only the case that Furuya is the one who opens the games - which is also reasonable since he is strong and thanks to his powerful pitches it is easy to gain some points at the begining of various games. I think that coach decisions about putting Furuya as a first pitcher were correct since it is always good to gain advantage at the begining - that makes Seido at ease and their opponents at stress.

I get what you mean about focusing on Sawamura's bad points but I'm not surprised that they are doing this, since from the very begining Sawamura had so much to learn and change about himself. It's not like Furuya was perfect from the start - he's still not. But compared to Sawamura he was more...dunno... focused? professional? determined? He was a better player, just like Tanba was always a better pitcher than Nori. Which doesn't mean that someday Sawamura won't surpass him.

And really, I don't think that anybody on the team underestimates Sawamura achievements. They can see how much he's changed, how good he is now - even Miyuki said that Sawamura has his "utmost respect". It's only that he is still not qualified enough to become the ace. Right now Seido doesn't have a lot of choice - from the three available pitchers it is Furuya who is most confident and powerful. It's only natural to pick him as the new ace, just as it was natural to pick Miyuki as a new captain even though he has some faults and is not a leader-type personality as Yuki was. I'm sure that in the following episodes we will see a lot of growing up from Furuya. Being an ace is a huge resposibility and even though he is determined to become one, he will probably learn very soon that he still lacks many ace-features and he has to work very hard to become worthy of wearing no.1 shirt. I, personally, can't wait to see this ;)
Jan 11, 2015 6:52 AM

Sep 2008
I don't really understand baseball, but if Furuya is so good why they put Kawakami instead Furuya to change Sawamura after his break down?
Why put in such important time?
Isn't better to put Ace at start, change him on Kawakami or Sawamura and have Furuya to be ready if something bad could happen at the end?

There is 64 episodes and I feel like Sawamura is still on the same position like he was at the beginning and he is main character, but his character development is just weak.
Sure, he is better, but he still sitting on the bench and waiting for chance.

I feel like Furuya is just too much favored.
Ok, he had few flaws, but there flaws aren't such big like others...
Where we can see other train, think that they want be stronger, that there are still better than him...
Furuya always get praises and his balls are good, so he don't need to work at them.

I just have hope we don't need to wait another 60+ episodes to see Sawamura having chance to shine.
Jan 11, 2015 7:33 AM

Nov 2011
LittleStar said:
I don't really understand baseball, but if Furuya is so good why they put Kawakami instead Furuya to change Sawamura after his break down?
Isn't better to put Ace at start, change him on Kawakami or Sawamura and have Furuya to be ready if something bad could happen at the end?

I think it's because of Furuya's greatest flaw and that is mentioned earlier lack of stamina. Furuya is strong but his power is rather short-lived. He is at his best at the begining of each game. If they would put him in the field in first few innings, than he would probably loose big part of his strenght for this activity and after that he wouldn't be able to give his all on the mound.

LittleStar said:
Furuya always get praises and his balls are good, so he don't need to work at them.

Yes, his balls are good, extremely good, because they are extremely strong. But I think that what was already captured in those 64 episodes is the fact that even though Furuya's pitches are strong, he lacks in diversity of techniques. In this matter Sawamura is superior. But it's only logical that because of this Furuya is more skilled - he has like one technique to improve while Sawamura is trying few different types of pitches. This is his skill and his main weapon - but consequently he needs more time to get better.

I don't know if it takes 60+ episodes to show Sawamura as final ace but I have no doubts that this is the final purpose of this show. After all HE IS the main character. What I like in this show is that by showing how hard it is to get on the top it is quite realistic. It would be too soon for Sawamura to become ace right after Tanba - he is so not ready yet to get this position. It is important to show that his path is long and difficult to make it feel like realistic one. Even if you work really, really hard there are always some people that are ahead of you. And it's exactly what's going on right now in Sawamura/Furuya situation. But it doesn't mean that Furuya did nothing to earn his current position - we don't see him work on the same aspects of his skills as Sawamura simply because from the beginning he was more advanced and he has different type of talent.
Jan 11, 2015 8:56 AM
Feb 2013
Blitzkriag said:

FUUUU... This ending... I'm SPOILED once again, it's not SUCH a surprise but geez.
What about Sawamura, poor him D:
I can't believe it, Kantoku, dameeee !
Shit goes on !
Jan 11, 2015 9:15 AM

Dec 2012
This is actually taking every turn I didn't want it to atm.

The game was not worth it with them loosing first of all.

Second of all they just cut the third years of without even showing it to us. I get that the'll show up again, but nothing??

Also the ending spoils that Furuya gets the ace number. That's fine and all, but there is only so much struggle you can put the MC through in a short amount of time before I start feeling bad for watching him.

I'd HATE HATE HATE to drop a show I liked as much as I did after watching it for this long but. . . . . I'm not sure I can take it.
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
Jan 11, 2015 9:58 AM

Nov 2013
Coach bailing out LOL. Jesus I hate the overblown taking responsibility garbage in anime.
They did their best, and lost. Simple as that.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 11, 2015 11:09 AM

Jul 2011
Seriously now? Seriously? First the 3rd years and now the coach? *flips table*
Jan 11, 2015 12:20 PM

Apr 2014
Fuck. This was so painful. I'm happy about Miyuki being the new captain, but god I can't get over this:
Blitzkriag said:

I don't have anything against the anime showing us Eijun's development into becoming the ace, but jesus ;_; If Eijun becomes the ace after Miyuki retires, my heart will forever be broken. But there's still a chance he can become the ace for the summer nationals, right? If Furuya is ace for spring and Eijun for summer though, I feel like it would deter the team. Because they've put their trust in Furuya- but changing that into relying on Eijun for summer wouldn't make the team as united as possible.

So... as heartbroken as I am, I'm not seeing Eijun becoming the ace as a second-year.
;v;;;;;;;;;;

Man, watching DNA always makes me depressed lately.
Jan 11, 2015 12:30 PM

Nov 2013
^ Furuya will die in the summer heat :D I mean even in this episode he's loving the shade. I can imagine him becoming overheated and just completely falling apart during the summer lol. Eijun can step up then if not earlier ;)
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 11, 2015 12:46 PM

Apr 2014
I haven't read the manga so I wouldn't know but what if Furuya grows a lot over the time they have and he gets over his stamina problem ;_; The players change and improve significantly in this series, so I don't know.

I don't mean to offend any Furuya fans, but: trust me I want that to happen... it's just that I don't see it happening ;_;;;; I hope I'm wrong.
Jan 11, 2015 1:46 PM

Jul 2012
Damn, I didn't even notice Furuya's number in the ED. Why would they spoil that?!

All the 3rd years are gone and now the coach too? So many good characters are leaving :T I wonder why the coach is resigning.
Jan 11, 2015 3:03 PM

Oct 2014
Ando- said:
Damn, I didn't even notice Furuya's number in the ED. Why would they spoil that?!

All the 3rd years are gone and now the coach too? So many good characters are leaving :T I wonder why the coach is resigning.

Isnt it clear?, he didn't taken them to Koshien, and I believed they said that since he had been coach they have never been into Koshien or something like that. He must be feeling guilty abt it.
Plus he fails totally against the veterans coaches, which was one of the reasons Mei chose Inashiro.
"It's like Tolstoy said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story"

"And the sense of tragedy-according to Aristotle.comes, ironically enough, not from the protagonist's weak points but from his good qualities. Do you know what I'm getting at? People are drawn deeper into tragedy not by their defects but by their virtues"

Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami...the man that was the inspiration for Sen Takatsuki

Jan 11, 2015 11:09 PM

Jan 2013
New coach, and there's still a fall tournament. It better be smaller than the summer one.
Jan 11, 2015 11:48 PM

Oct 2008
RediceRyan said:
New coach, and there's still a fall tournament. It better be smaller than the summer one.

Yeah, like maybe they'll loose the first game and end of the tournament lol.

On a serious note though, I honestly don't see the new team doing good anytime soon. They just lost most of their best players and even the coach gave up. They made it sound all cool that he is taking responsibility but to me it felt more like the coach was thinking something along the lines of screw you guys you aint going to no nationals with this new team.
Jan 12, 2015 4:48 AM
Nov 2012
What? Boss is resigning? Eh, everyone is going away...

Also damn you new ED for spoiling next Ace! Although I could see it coming, seeing as Sawamura is still unsure about his pitch.
Jan 12, 2015 10:53 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Kantoku..

Anyways, Miyuki is the new captain. Yay, it was funny hearing him shout. So unlike him, haha. I wonder how far they will adapt the anime. I haven't gotten this far in the manga.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Jan 12, 2015 4:15 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah my prediction is correct. Of course Miyuki is captain. Like I said episodes before, he basically commands the team anyways during games.

As for ace, I think Sawamura will get it...or we'd have to wait until he becomes a third year. Yeah I don't want to see another loss
Jan 13, 2015 1:52 AM

Jul 2014
Nancy-Alice said:
FUUUU... This ending... I'm SPOILED once again, it's not SUCH a surprise but geez.
Shit goes on !
LOAD said:

I don't have anything against the anime showing us Eijun's development into becoming the ace, but jesus ;_; If Eijun becomes the ace after Miyuki retires, my heart will forever be broken. But there's still a chance he can become the ace for the summer nationals, right? If Furuya is ace for spring and Eijun for summer though, I feel like it would deter the team. Because they've put their trust in Furuya- but changing that into relying on Eijun for summer wouldn't make the team as united as possible.

So... as heartbroken as I am, I'm not seeing Eijun becoming the ace as a second-year.
;v;;;;;;;;;;

Well tbh eijun really isnt ready to be the ace. I dont think furuya is good enough too but theres not much choice.
I havent read the manga, but this is what I think, eijun is probably gonna develop in the fall tournament to be good enough to be the ace for 2nd year, or at least better than furuya.
How do I signature?
Jan 13, 2015 2:56 AM

Oct 2014
Blitzkriag said:
Nancy-Alice said:
Shit goes on !
LOAD said:

;v;;;;;;;;;;

Well tbh eijun really isnt ready to be the ace. I dont think furuya is good enough too but theres not much choice.
I havent read the manga, but this is what I think, eijun is probably gonna develop in the fall tournament to be good enough to be the ace for 2nd year, or at least better than furuya.

The coach said that Eijuun while talking about potential was better than Furuya. But since he is a diamond in rough he was useless at that moment (and he continues so, since he is only a relief pitcher). So I think they will continue giving shape to the diamond and instead Furuya is going to go on being the ace, bc he is ready, his major faults are stamina and control.
Which are way less than Sawamura's faults.
Plus I believe Furuya is going to continue being the starter and one day Eijuun's going to be the closer, since he doesnt get too nervous with the pressure of the ending of a game while Furuya's skills start to decreased if he is feeling pressured.
I also think that next year, the captain has to be Eijuun, he is the one who changes the mood of the games everytime, by cheering his team mates. And even thou he wants the mount too, he is not as selfish as Furuya, plus he is more sociable.
If the manga/anime gets to the third year, they are going to be really be dealt a blow when Miyuki leaves.
"It's like Tolstoy said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story"

"And the sense of tragedy-according to Aristotle.comes, ironically enough, not from the protagonist's weak points but from his good qualities. Do you know what I'm getting at? People are drawn deeper into tragedy not by their defects but by their virtues"

Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami...the man that was the inspiration for Sen Takatsuki

Jan 13, 2015 2:32 PM

Oct 2011
Coach retiring NOOOOOOOOOOO

New ED SONG <3
Jan 22, 2015 10:07 PM
Jul 2018
Everyone is feeling bummed out with the loss and I don’t blame them, it sucks. Right now Furuya is the best choice for the next ace and I doubt either pitcher will get better than him until the fall tournament. Slow episode but it’s very understandable at this point.
Feb 1, 2015 3:58 AM

Nov 2013
SHIT I was told there were spoilers in the ed but I accidentally watched it =_=
Feb 1, 2015 11:16 AM

Aug 2009
Stamina roll.........still love it lol. xD
Miyuki as the new captain? saw that coming . I'm happy they are moving forward, but a part of me really wants the third years to stay on the team. The time we spent with them was too little, they were all pretty likable. I will definitely miss them :(

Feb 1, 2015 1:11 PM

Apr 2007
LittleStar said:
Furuya was switched out of the game shortly before Sawamura's break down. When someone is switched out they cannot return to the field, it's a rule in baseball. So Kawakami was the only pitcher they could rely on in the end.
Sep 5, 2015 8:31 PM

Mar 2012
The coach is abandoning the ship lol.
Jun 17, 2016 10:13 PM
Jan 2016
i wish nori get injuried and not see him ever again espicially in season 2. Really boring and lame, useless character.
Jan 8, 2017 9:20 PM

Sep 2015
Not surprised Miyuki got the captain status but noooo, General is gonna retire after fall tournament!!! I hope Nori recovers because it was truly not his fault that the seniors' summer ended. The ending song spoiled who the ace was gonna be ;-;
Jan 26, 2018 3:04 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
a new captain, Miyuki!!!
Aug 23, 2018 7:50 PM

Dec 2013
Nice to see everyone recovering after losing.

I don’t believe the coach will actually retire.
Sep 11, 2018 6:06 AM

Nov 2016
Miyuki became the captain and the coach resigns, as expected.

I'm really looking forward to the new roster and the fall tournament.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 6, 2019 8:58 PM

Sep 2018
Hahaha Sawamura as a leader will be hilarious xD but I vote for Miyuki! He's senior already ❤ he's more fit to be a leader!

Eh?? Why Coach wants to resign?????!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 74 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2015

34 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2015

59 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 70 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2015

55 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2015

101 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 4:18 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

128 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 17, 10:57 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.