Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 11, 2015 12:35 AM

Mar 2014
skudoops said:
For people unclear on the story

- There was a great tokyo war
- When recovering from the war all the wealthy people and ruling class (assumption is government, tribal, heads of powerful households etc) disappeared essentially leaving people to themselves.
-10 new states were formed and they divided their territories using the guidelines of the old prefectures.
-However (and this is unexplained) they gained independence
- Each region started becoming nationalistic
- As a result of this conflicts with other regions began to arise
- The Twin Tower Declaration was created to solve conflicts. Essentially conflicts could be settled through negotiation but if they can't a representative of each vigilante group from the respective states would battle each other (a best) and the winner wins the conflict. It's likely there are states that do not follow the twin tower declaration given the wording.
- The fight we are seeing at the start is because apparently people who were once tokyo were forced to leave due to the expansion of a company named "Always Comina" (I am assuming this is a company) and want to reclaim the land through force.

Of course I may be mistaken on somethings, but I'm surprised so many people have no clue what's happening at all.

Thanks for the background info. Very helpful :D
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jan 11, 2015 12:52 AM

Jul 2013
It felt like Trigger did this series, because of the animation, art, and their fighting style. Though in the end Wit Studio did this. Pretty colorful art background tbh very creative.

The plot felt confusing a bit, but I think I got the general understanding of it. The characters in here I have yet to grown attached to so I think it improve in later episodes.

I was kind of thrown off that it is not a slice of life genre, but I really liked this kind of series, so I'll stick it into it :D.

Jan 11, 2015 12:57 AM

Nov 2011
skudoops said:
For people unclear on the story

- When recovering from the war all the wealthy people and ruling class (assumption is government, tribal, heads of powerful households etc) disappeared essentially leaving people to themselves.
-10 new states were formed and they divided their territories using the guidelines of the old prefectures.
- The Twin Tower Declaration was created to solve conflicts. Essentially conflicts could be settled through negotiation but if they can't a representative of each vigilante group from the respective states would battle each other (a best) and the winner wins the conflict. It's likely there are states that do not follow the twin tower declaration given the wording.
- The fight we are seeing at the start is because apparently people who were once tokyo were forced to leave due to the expansion of a company named "Always Comina" (I am assuming this is a company) and want to reclaim the land through force.

Of course I may be mistaken on somethings, but I'm surprised so many people have no clue what's happening at all.

Yeah, I don't know why hardly anyone is understanding this either. It was all explained in the episode. o.o
Jan 11, 2015 12:58 AM

Sep 2013
The animation and the story felt like

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta

Jan 11, 2015 1:03 AM

Oct 2013
^^ same, mixed with Kyousougiga

I had zero expectations going in and I like it
Jan 11, 2015 1:23 AM

Dec 2014
TripleSRank said:

If you actually pay attention these should be quite apparent, and thank you for organizing all these information for the ease of anyone on this site.

But what I don't like is that the lack of effort from the creator to actually help viewers to be familiarize with the story. From everywhere all I can see is that people keep saying they don't know what happened in the story, and that is already a failure on the story-telling department to me. I did come cross some anime that just didn't give a fuck about viewers, like Serial Experiment Lain, but this seems like a pretentious move given the light-hearted nature of this anime. It's like the The Idolm@ster, you want viewers to give a damn about your characters and story but you never gave the chance, or offer anything to them. The first impression is pretty important, and the production team is just going out of their way this time.
Jan 11, 2015 1:43 AM

Nov 2011
I read the synopsis and instantly fell in love with it but unfortunately i expected the tone to be a bit more serious, sorry.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 11, 2015 1:52 AM

Jan 2013
So... something something people fighting cuz reasons, and something.
We'll see how it goes, it may be something.
Jan 11, 2015 2:44 AM

Dec 2013
I instantly fell in love with the characters. That ramen eating challenge is hilarious.

The colorful and overly exaggerated fight scenes together with it's crankiness reminded me of Kill la Kill.
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Jan 11, 2015 3:16 AM

Nov 2014
so colorful
Jan 11, 2015 3:18 AM

Jun 2011
liking the comments abt this being weird. i'll watch it asap, almost was going to pass it up bu how can i resist a weird anime with weird girls looking cute as fuck?!?!?!?!!?
Jan 11, 2015 3:41 AM
Mar 2014
AaaaaaKun said:
But what I don't like is that the lack of effort from the creator to actually help viewers to be familiarize with the story. From everywhere all I can see is that people keep saying they don't know what happened in the story, and that is already a failure on the story-telling department to me. I did come cross some anime that just didn't give a fuck about viewers, like Serial Experiment Lain, but this seems like a pretentious move given the light-hearted nature of this anime. It's like the The Idolm@ster, you want viewers to give a damn about your characters and story but you never gave the chance, or offer anything to them. The first impression is pretty important, and the production team is just going out of their way this time.

Yup. Exactly why I'm not liking this so far. Well, that and the terrible characters (I can only remember and care about their designs). Thank you for summarizing it so I didn't have to.
Jan 11, 2015 4:46 AM

Feb 2011
I absolutely love this. Everything about this, is awesome.
Jan 11, 2015 5:09 AM

Nov 2013
Wah, so glad I watched this, I friggin' love this show already. The Rolling Girls will be an enjoyable watch. The battle scenes were amazingly done. I like the vibrant colors that were used too.
Jan 11, 2015 5:18 AM

Jan 2014
Will this anime turns into yuri ..?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2015 5:18 AM

Apr 2013
Don't understand how some people don't comprehend the story. Was clearly explained at the start~ Great start, loved the episode 5/5, the art and animation were superb and pleasant to look at. The music is pretty good too. The first 7 ish minutes was pretty damn epic and gave lots of Kill la Kill vibes with its over-the-top action. Characters are also interesting, I love their designs and appearance and are pretty fun. Can't wait for the next episode for more! The eating contest was also hilarious~
Jan 11, 2015 7:28 AM

Mar 2014
Well this was a pleasant surprise. Maybe the storytelling is a bit confusing because of lines like "Then some stuff happened, and now they're indepentent!"

Didn't really get a chance to like any of the characters, most of them weren't properly introduced or named. I want to know more about the guy with the crocodile head!
Jan 11, 2015 8:06 AM

Feb 2011
seinsora said:
Will this anime turns into yuri ..?

there is already yuri kuma arashi for that xD
hope this will be just silly and cute

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jan 11, 2015 8:24 AM

Jan 2014
Kind of expected an idol anime, but heck, I'm more than glad to have this one instead. Pretty fun, I guess.

That eating contest though. Koufuku Graffiti..?
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Jan 11, 2015 8:32 AM

Jun 2014
Will keep on watching this interesting show
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jan 11, 2015 9:20 AM
Oct 2010
AaaaaaKun said:

If you actually pay attention these should be quite apparent, and thank you for organizing all these information for the ease of anyone on this site.

Well in that sense I can agree, there's too much front ended information and there's some japanese centric dialogue that is difficult for most of us foreigners to understand like the whole location of Higashi Murayama bit. They could have spread all the details throughout the episode and I think that would have been fine, but I believe they were being vague about some details deliberately. Character wise, we are only one episode in so I'll wait a bit to make judgement on that.
Jan 11, 2015 9:27 AM

Aug 2013
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought this was produced by Trigger x)
I could check, but there is probably some of the staff who worked on Kill la Killl or FLCL.

Anyway, I have no idea what I watched and where it is going, but it sure was fun. That context looks absurdly crazy. Defeat your opponent by tickling her after all the crazy fight you did... That was hilariously ridiculous.

Love the overall art. It leave possibility for whatever absurdity they'll want to put in.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 11, 2015 9:28 AM

Nov 2013
Very Kill la Kill, over the top and and full of very dynamic poses :P I like it. Character designs are pretty cute.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 11, 2015 9:45 AM
Jun 2013
Really good!! The animation and direction remind of Kyousougiga.
Jan 11, 2015 10:13 AM

Jul 2014
I thought it was kinda stupid for the most part. The impromptu ramen eating contest was the highlight of the episode in my opinion.
Jan 11, 2015 10:38 AM

Sep 2013
People who say that this looks like KLK need to watch more anime xD
I liked KLK but so far this was better for me.
Jan 11, 2015 12:17 PM

Jul 2013
the ED song was actually sort of a remake of a popular song in japan, pretty catchy imo.

Jan 11, 2015 12:27 PM

Jun 2014
AcidPunk said:
People who say that this looks like KLK need to watch more anime xD
I liked KLK but so far this was better for me.

Based on one episode?..
If there are any other series like this (that's not Gurren Lagann) please share with the rest of us! I'd like to know

Personally, I think so far so good. The end bit with the roller coaster got kinda random but there's some really lol-y shit in this. Loved the fight scenes (SAFETY PIN BLADE!) and ramen eating contest.
Jan 11, 2015 12:37 PM

Jun 2013
AaaaaaKun said:

Well, to be fair, this show was targeted for Japanese people, not Westerners. A Japanese show isn't going to go over Japanese geography just so that Westerners can understand where all the Japanese cities are (basically what they were arguing about before the fight). As for the background story, they provided a pretty clear explanation at the beginning, so I don't know how you perceived a lack of effort from the production team. It's just the first episode too and no first episodes will ever fully explain everything from the get-go. I was able to deduce enough information from just rewatching the explanation scenes, so I wouldn't go as far as call the show pretentious for not "giving a fuck about its viewers," when it did.

If people were distracted by the background song, the flashy fighting effects, all the while they were explaining everything, I can understand that sort of complaint. The reason I didn't understand the first time was because I was too busy focusing on the pretty light shows from the fight. But a "lack of effort" and "pretentious?" I don't necessarily think so. Rather, those phrases would usually apply to the viewers, myself included, and not the production team.

[edit]I forgot to acknowledge that you indeed, understood the story. Regardless, I don't think you have to complain for others when you yourself understood it pretty well. It's just like any other show that chooses not to spoon feed its viewers background info.
pakokoJan 11, 2015 12:46 PM
Jan 11, 2015 1:04 PM

Oct 2014
So far so good. I´m a bit confused after all, but I think it was a good start. The ramen eating contest was the hightlight.
Haruchu87Jan 11, 2015 1:09 PM
Holy Madoka! The Yuri is strong here!

My Anime List
Jan 11, 2015 1:17 PM
Nov 2007
What is this all about? 20 minutes passed and I have no clue.
Jan 11, 2015 1:24 PM

Dec 2013
Dsrtstorm said:
What is this all about? 20 minutes passed and I have no clue.
1 episode bruh, watch more to find out.
Jan 11, 2015 1:43 PM
Jun 2011
Interesting show so far. Sticking with it for now.
Jan 11, 2015 3:16 PM

Dec 2013
Slice of life, really?
This reminds me of Kill la Kill too much thus I was unable to finish the whole episode. Dropped after 9 minutes, no thanks.
Jan 11, 2015 3:18 PM

Aug 2013
Good to see I wasn't the only one that thought this felt a lot more like Kyousougiga than Kill la Kill! So many colors and sparkles and weirdness!
Jan 11, 2015 3:28 PM

Aug 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
The only thing this show and KLK have in common is that they are parodies of superhero manga.

Since when is KlK a parody of superhero manga?
Jan 11, 2015 5:23 PM

Sep 2013
It felt like the key animators from Trigger got together with the writers of Aria, did lines of coke, proceeded to sling ink bottles at piece of paper, then took that piece of paper and made it the script and screenplay of the show. I have no idea what I just watched. But it was awesome. (sorta)
Jan 11, 2015 6:29 PM

Apr 2008
One word... CRAZY! Though really enjoyable....? :P
Jan 11, 2015 6:46 PM

Aug 2014
Haha nice anime that Kill la Kill light effects i love it already XD
https://twitter.com/LightningDash02
OTPs || MyAnimeList || MyMangaList || Favorite Guys || Favorite Girls || Favorite Anime

~LightningXDash02
Jan 11, 2015 8:34 PM

Sep 2012
looking forward for this one

Jan 11, 2015 10:31 PM

Mar 2014
I need the OP... NOW. It makes me feel so damn happy!

This one episode was enough to convince me. Looking forward for more!
Jan 11, 2015 11:22 PM

Dec 2013
Meh start. The battle kind of reminded of Kill la Kill. The whole premise is slightly confusing
Jan 12, 2015 12:06 AM

Dec 2011
Watched this episode yesterday but MAL was down.

Not really sure what to make of this yet. It all seems rather bewildering.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 12, 2015 12:32 AM

Dec 2012
Remind me Kill la Kill :0. It was a funny episode, I didn't expect that.
Jan 12, 2015 1:58 AM

Dec 2014
pakoko said:
As for the background story, they provided a pretty clear explanation at the beginning, so I don't know how you perceived a lack of effort from the production team.

The exposition at the start is expected when you have a premise that is so surreal and out of the ordinary, to me is just storytelling 101, giving viewers some information about the universe of the story and setting up the tone, laying down the foundation for expectation, you don't get credited when you are just doing the basic.

pakoko said:
It's just the first episode too and no first episodes will ever fully explain everything from the get-go. I was able to deduce enough information from just rewatching the explanation scenes, so I wouldn't go as far as call the show pretentious for not "giving a fuck about its viewers," when it did.

Just count how many technical terms they throw at you after the stand down of the two fractions till the end of the episode, if you know your story is going to have tons of them you may want to spread them thin and give each of them a proper time to flesh out. Of cause they will keep reappearing and maybe get more explanation in the following episodes, but still jamming too much detail and content in just the first episode is a huge mood killer for most viewers who just want to get into the story without constantly asking questions in their heads.

pakoko said:
If people were distracted by the background song, the flashy fighting effects, all the while they were explaining everything, I can understand that sort of complaint. The reason I didn't understand the first time was because I was too busy focusing on the pretty light shows from the fight. But a "lack of effort" and "pretentious?" I don't necessarily think so. Rather, those phrases would usually apply to the viewers, myself included, and not the production team.

I think that is the fault of the production team for putting too much distraction on the screen if you need to rewatch it just to familiarize with the basic elements of the story, yes the animation is good and the soundtrack is also nice but most of time the emotional connection just isn't there, viewers can't care about the story and the characters because they are constantly distracted by the fast-paced action and colorful background, they don't know how to react emotionally to whatever happening on the screen but appreciate the production value, in other words, style over substance. And that's why I call this show "Made by animators, only for animators" or even outright pretentious for focusing too much effort on making the show look good rather than being accessible to the viewers.

pakoko said:
[edit]I forgot to acknowledge that you indeed, understood the story. Regardless, I don't think you have to complain for others when you yourself understood it pretty well. It's just like any other show that chooses not to spoon feed its viewers background info.

It's not just a complain, I'm also criticizing the direction they are going for base on my understanding of the information perceived before the airing and the first episode. I just think the show would have been much better if the production team has more self-constraint, but seems like it's going to be the likes of Kyousou Giga and Uchouten Kazoku, three is a pattern, and a new sub-genre may just got born.
raveninthemuddleJan 12, 2015 5:34 AM
Jan 12, 2015 2:02 AM

May 2013
This is a unique slice of life anime. The fact that somehow I don't get the story at the first 6-7 minutes, entertains me just by simply watching with less understanding. Then, characters introduced and I'm kinda liking Maccha Green. Lets just see how the other characters improve themselves and as well as the whole story line.
Jan 12, 2015 4:26 AM
Jul 2018
Seems quite interesting, I enjoyed the episode. I did have that Kill la Kill vibe to this anime and I thought the fight scene was great. Though I'm kind of confused with what I just watched, I look forward to the next episode.
Jan 12, 2015 4:57 AM

May 2009
But seriously it's more like Kyousogiga than KlK, much more colorful.
Jan 12, 2015 8:43 AM

Jul 2014
Watchable, but I'd prefer more punk, less moe.
Jan 12, 2015 9:34 AM

Jul 2013
Kill la Kill + Kyousou Giga + LSD = Rolling Girls

Macha Green is love!
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rolling☆Girls Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2015

49 by hanakocheeks »»
Mar 17, 2023 4:22 AM

Poll: » Rolling☆Girls Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2015

142 by hanakocheeks »»
Mar 17, 2023 2:23 AM

Poll: » Rolling☆Girls Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2015

65 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Nov 25, 2022 12:01 PM

Poll: » Rolling☆Girls Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2015

50 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Nov 24, 2022 12:29 PM

Poll: » Rolling☆Girls Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2015

56 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.