Forum Settings
Forums

People who watch sports anime without partaking in the actual sport

New
Jan 10, 2015 5:58 AM

Mar 2012
Same for a music/dance anime.

Do you find it strange? I personally might be interested in watching a show about a sport I do, so I could relate to it. It seems watching a sport that isn't your hobby to be wish-fulfillment or day dreaming of some sort. If you fit into this category, could you explain what interests you in the anime sport that you don't like in the sport itself? Or is it that you're unable to take up said sport for a certain reason?

@Andthats
Yeah exactly, but that's for video games.
End Zionazism
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 10, 2015 5:59 AM

Jan 2015
Same as playing Fifa and not playing actual football.
Anime is the prime example of why 2 nukes weren't enough.
Jan 10, 2015 6:00 AM

Jul 2014
It's for the best. considering how cringe worthy it is to watch Kuroko no Basket as a basketball player. because the game was cringe worthy, so many fouls and..... that's not basket at all. they fixed some of them in season 2 though.
Jan 10, 2015 6:08 AM

Feb 2013
Yeah it's so fun to watch/read about other sports you didn't really do a lot in your life. My family is all about football(soccer) so all I did was playing football (but I was interested in a lot of different sports too ofc) and to see something like Slam Dunk really made me want to play Basketball ( I already liked doing it in school but nothing more) and I became interested in seeing it in RL too
It's just one of those child dreams to become a really good sportsman
Jan 10, 2015 6:10 AM

Jan 2015
TheNextChamp said:
Yeah it's so fun to watch/read about other sports you didn't really do a lot in your life. My family is all about football(soccer) so all I did was playing football (but I was interested in a lot of different sports too ofc) and to see something like Slam Dunk really made me want to play Basketball ( I already liked doing it in school but nothing more) and I became interested in seeing it in RL too

What about boxing? Your profile picture is Muhammad Ali isn't it dude?
Jan 10, 2015 6:11 AM
Apr 2013
Why watch romance anime when you can have it by your own?
Jan 10, 2015 6:13 AM

Jun 2014
"People who actually watch crime anime without comitting crimes". Should I continue? There are several reasons to watch a spor anime even if you don't know what the hell the sport is.
Jan 10, 2015 6:14 AM

Dec 2012
Okashi_sama said:
It's for the best. considering how cringe worthy it is to watch Kuroko no Basket as a basketball player. because the game was cringe worthy, so many fouls and..... that's not basket at all. they fixed some of them in season 2 though.

Lol what?

They added a lot more, to the point where it apparent to anyone even those who don't play it or know much about it. Not to mention the powers became even more unrealistic and some of them straight up impossible.

They didn't fix shit, it only became worse in terms of realism.
Jan 10, 2015 6:15 AM

Nov 2014
I don't turn into a Magical Girl, but I watch Magical Girl anime.

Although I'd like to try.

Jan 10, 2015 6:17 AM

Jul 2014
tsudecimo said:
Okashi_sama said:

Lol what?

They added a lot more, to the point where it apparent to anyone even those who don't play it or know much about it. Not to mention the powers became even more unrealistic and some of them straight up impossible.

Yeah, the power levels increased but the normal fouls were less. it's still not basket. maybe because i stopped taking it seriously when it comes to the games.
Jan 10, 2015 6:17 AM

Mar 2012
Agafin said:
"People who actually watch crime anime without comitting crimes". Should I continue? There are several reasons to watch a spor anime even if you don't know what the hell the sport is.
AzureDaora said:

This is the biggest problem I have with this, people treat sports anime as some sort of escapism when it really doesn't have to be.
You can live it, and it's not like being a criminal or at the rest of being involved with them as the first example, so why not?

TheNextChamp said:

That's interesting, so an anime sport made you like doing that sport IRL...
End Zionazism
Jan 10, 2015 6:19 AM

Dec 2012
Okashi_sama said:
tsudecimo said:

Lol what?

Yeah, the power levels increased but the normal fouls were less. it's still not basket. maybe because i stopped taking it seriously when it comes to the games.

How were the normal fouls less, when a whole match was a team beating up players and getting away with it? it's like the referee was blind or something.
Jan 10, 2015 6:22 AM

Jul 2014
tsudecimo said:
Okashi_sama said:

How were the normal fouls less, when a whole match was a team beating up players and getting away with it? it's like the referee was blind or something.

Yes but fouls regarding dribbling and catching the ball wee less. there are still fouls and many of them. just somewhat less then season 1. and like i said, maybe because i stopped taking it seriously at all when it comes to games.
Jan 10, 2015 6:23 AM

Feb 2013
Mikasa said:

TheNextChamp said:

That's interesting, so an anime sport made you like doing that sport IRL...

Yeah, as a matter of fact, we were doing basketball in P.E. like 2 weeks after I finished SD and I had so much more fun in doing it than the years before, not that I didn't like playing it before but I just enjoyed it more then

AndThatsThat said:
TheNextChamp said:

What about boxing? Your profile picture is Muhammad Ali isn't it dude?

Well first of all I prefer teamsports, second of all Boxing doesn't really fit me, I have always been better in ball-sports, and I just really respect Muhammed Ali and I really liked that picture when I saw it :p and I loved Hajime no Ippo which made me respect boxing more too
Jan 10, 2015 6:24 AM

Aug 2008
For me to watch sports anime it has to be highly rated in MAL so that I would know that there are higher chances of me enjoying it and the sports doesn't bore me. Real sports is always better than anime.

I am not a fan of volleyball and ping pong,but those two sports is ok to me so I don't mind trying the anime. I become a fan of basketball after watching/reading Slam Dunk so when Kuroko no Basuke come out and it highly rated in MAL,I immediately watch it since I am already a fan of basketball.

Baseball and boxing anime despite being rated highly in MAL doesn't interest me since I am not a fan of those two sports.
ZapredonJan 10, 2015 6:27 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 10, 2015 6:25 AM

Jun 2014
Mikasa said:

Do you find it strange? I personally might be interested in watching a show about a sport I do, so I could relate to it. It seems watching a sport that isn't your hobby to be wish-fulfillment or day dreaming of some sort. If you fit into this category, could you explain what interests you in the anime sport that you don't like in the sport itself? Or is it that you're unable to take up said sport for a certain reason?

@Andthats

I play basketball, football,badminton,tennis pretty much most stuff.

You telling me i cant watch hajime no ippo because i dont box?
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jan 10, 2015 6:26 AM
Oct 2014
I've watched many sport anime, but of course I'm not a fan of all of them.
Jan 10, 2015 6:28 AM

Feb 2013
I guess it's just entertainment like everything else, it's the same way I watch Soccer IRL despite parting ways with the actual sport along time ago, there are also stuff like Ippo that have people beating the shit out of each other while still being sports or Baki the Grappler which is basically a battle shonen despite (kinda) being sports (MMA). there are also stuff like Kinnikuman that have little to nothing to actually do with the sports. And sometimes the show just happens to have likeable characters and the Sports aspect can just feel like a Sidequest

I guess it all comes down to how you view sports, as I find Sports mostly to be entertainment whether I'm the one playing it or I'm watching others play
Jan 10, 2015 6:31 AM

Jun 2014
Mikasa said:
Agafin said:
AzureDaora said:

This is the biggest problem I have with this, people treat sports anime as some sort of escapism when it really doesn't have to be.
You can live it, and it's not like being a criminal or at the rest of being involved with them as the first example, so why not?

That's what you don't understand. People like these sport anime for the same reasons they like magical girl/ crime anime : plot characters, world building, action etc. No escapism here.
Jan 10, 2015 6:33 AM

Mar 2012
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Mikasa said:

@Andthats

I play basketball, football,badminton,tennis pretty much most stuff.

You telling me i cant watch hajime no ippo because i dont box?

No, read the last option...

I meant people who hardly do sport at all but are big fans of sports... it's kind of a waste to be honest.
End Zionazism
Jan 10, 2015 6:33 AM

Jun 2008
Because op

"Imagination"
Jan 10, 2015 6:34 AM

Oct 2014
People don't want to feel like their fat for sitting down, eating chips and watching anime so they choose to watch sports anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2015 6:35 AM

Nov 2014
I usually don't watch sport anime for the actual sport. There is just something so much fun about seeing someone try their best to go to nationals or win a competition. To see team-spirit and the deep bonds between friends. I'm not really all that athletic in real life though, so no I don't think it's weird to watch sports anime without playing the sports.
Jan 10, 2015 6:35 AM

Feb 2013
Okashi_sama said:

Fix???......If anything the writing only became sloppier in the second season and it somehow ended up being even less self-aware than the first season, not to mention I know little about Basketball but I could'nt help callin bullshit at points

Though the matches were also more entertaining and intense in the second season
Jan 10, 2015 6:37 AM

Aug 2008
For those who don't play sports,does becoming a fan of that anime/manga make you interested in the real sports?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 10, 2015 6:38 AM

Aug 2014
Yeah it's wish-fulfilment for physically unfit nerds who don't play sports.

Kuroko No Basket isn't a Basketball anime. It's a battle shounen.
Jan 10, 2015 6:39 AM

Feb 2013
Zapredon said:
For those who don't play sports,does becoming a fan of that anime/manga make you interested in the real sports?

Heck no.......Boxing still seems like one of the worlds most boring creations to me and B.Ball still looks really dumb to me

F0XFIRE said:
Kuroko No Basket isn't a Basketball anime. It's a battle shounen.

Nah, though it tries so hard to be a BS it's kinda embarassing at times
Jan 10, 2015 6:41 AM

Nov 2013
They're fun, ordinary moments in the sport are dramatized and made out to be extraordinary which makes the sport seem a lot more than it is at times, which can be cool :P
Mikasa said:

It seems watching a sport that isn't your hobby to be wish-fulfillment or day dreaming of some sort.

What a load of codswallop. Everyone who watches the olympics are daydreamers yo.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 10, 2015 6:41 AM

Aug 2008
Hand_of_the_King said:
Zapredon said:

Heck no.......Boxing still seems like one of the worlds most boring creations to me and B.Ball still looks really dumb to me

LOL! The only sports that I got into thank to anime is just basketball through Slam Dunk. Soccer still the best sports for me.

Even after watching Haikyuu and Ping Pong,I still not a fan of those two sports.

Jan 10, 2015 6:42 AM

Jun 2008
Zapredon said:

NO. I love Hajime no Ippo. Watching ten minutes of real boxing only puts me to sleep though and i don't really want to be a boxer although i enjoy punching a boxing bag for some work out.

Really an anime show is an anime show is not a sport even if it is a sport anime show. It is still an anime that you can watch for many other reasons.

Also if everyone had to play or practice a sport to enjoy it then sports will have very few fans indeed. Or do you think all those stadiums full of fans are filled with people playing those sports?
MonadJan 10, 2015 6:49 AM
Jan 10, 2015 6:47 AM

Nov 2012
i hate everything sports-related IRL and still enjoyed the few sports shows i watched. the characters with their ambitions and interactions make it enjoyable :>
Jan 10, 2015 6:58 AM

Feb 2013
Zapredon said:
Hand_of_the_King said:

LOL! The only sports that I got into thank to anime is just basketball through Slam Dunk. Soccer still the best sports for me.

Even after watching Haikyuu and Ping Pong,I still not a fan of those two sports.

Surprisingly enough, I still have'nt enjoyed an anime about a sports I watch or Play IRL, the few exceptions are the cartoon "Galactik Football" (which I remember being to Soccer what Kuroko is to B.Ball. IN SPACE) and "Kinnikuman" (which has as much to do with wrestling as Nobunagun to History)
Jan 10, 2015 7:21 AM

Feb 2013
i dont like either
why is this the least popular option? =/
Jan 10, 2015 7:24 AM

Dec 2012
Zapredon said:

No, I really like Haikyuu but I don't like volleyball at all, nor I would be interested in playing it.
Jan 10, 2015 7:27 AM

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:
Zapredon said:

No, I really like Haikyuu but I don't like volleyball at all, nor I would be interested in playing it.
Haikyuu!! is epic!
Jan 10, 2015 7:32 AM

Jul 2008
I don't do any team sports and rarely watch sports outside the Olympics.

I like sports anime for the ridiculous over-the-top abilities and training sequences etc. I mean it feels exactly the same as any shounen fighting anime.

That said I don't watch tons of sports anime, just a few. And watching them hasn't made me interested in watching real sports, because real sports are way less dramatic.
Jan 10, 2015 8:11 AM
Apr 2014
I don`t think it`s any different than people watching shows about fighting monsters without having any experience of fighting monsters themselves.
Jan 10, 2015 8:18 AM

Sep 2013
Lol, it has nothing to do with wish-fuilfillment whatsoever. I do a lot of sports and you're right, sometimes, watching sports anime can be irritating. It is like my knowledge of sports I watch is being insulted by how unrealistic they are. This might have been obvious but the appeal of sports anime isn't their realistic value nor the engaging story. In fact, most of them are pretty predictable and formulaic; the underdog mc/team, heroic moments, participating in tournaments, or aspiring to be a number one. I think the characters' struggles/ambitions as I learn their stories and watch them grow is the reason why sports anime are compelling. No escapism involved.
Jan 10, 2015 8:23 AM

Oct 2012
So by this logic its silly if I watch professional sports but don't play the actual sport? Ok.
Jan 10, 2015 8:25 AM

May 2014
I actually practice Shotokan Karate and Skating every now and then, but I rarely ever get to watch sports/music/dance animes. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, from last season was an exception, for example, it had a compelling romcom story... But oh, wait, I also like to play classic music once in a while in my keyboard.
Jan 10, 2015 8:33 AM
Apr 2014
Milky_way1886 said:
People don't want to feel like their fat for sitting down, eating chips and watching anime so they choose to watch sports anime.

I`d totally watch an anime about people eating chips and watching anime.
Jan 10, 2015 8:48 AM

Mar 2014
It's all about the boys
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 10, 2015 8:51 AM

Jan 2015
Comic_Sans said:
It's all about the boys

What do you even mean?
Jan 10, 2015 8:57 AM

Apr 2010
With this logic you have to pick random fights with people to watch action anime.
Jan 10, 2015 9:01 AM

Jun 2014
It's perfectly normal to enjoy sports Anime without playing sports. Just look at the Rocky movies.

Jan 10, 2015 9:03 AM

Jul 2010
I used to play a lot of sports and occasionally play some sports even now (table tennis, skating, basketball) and I absolutely love sports anime and it does not matter what kind of sport its about.
Jan 10, 2015 9:23 AM

May 2013
I love both sports and sports anime at the same time. I didn't only watch the sports anime that I've played. I've watched and enjoyed sports anime that I've never played so there's no reason not to.

Sports anime, most of the time, made me interested with the sports. I've never cared about tennis, american football, volleyball, and baseballl before watching the anime about them. After watching them, I really wanted to try them, but never even until this day so I just played the video games (except for volleyball, any good volleyball game?).

Sports anime is good because you can actually see the athletes behind the scene (in real life, you can't until someone exposed them for you), working hard, and dealing with their psychological conflict, such as being the burden for the team or having major weaknesses. Because of that, when you see them actually winning, you are also happy even though you've known they will win in the end. You know how hard they've been through. That's why, nobody cares about those teams that lose in the first round because they're just fodders with no back-story.
Jan 10, 2015 10:51 AM

Jan 2013
Is this a Kuroko no Basket hate thread? Oh goodie

That anime sucks
Jan 10, 2015 12:31 PM

Apr 2014
VitaminCaim said:
Is this a Kuroko no Basket hate thread? Oh goodie

That anime sucks
[b]Not really![/b]
Jan 10, 2015 12:39 PM

Dec 2013
I think I said it before, but I did play volleyball in high school for 3 years, yet I didn't really enjoy something recent like Haikyuu.

I'm not into boxing or fighting in general, and would never hit anyone for sport, but I do enjoy boxing/fighting anime, and manga.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 42 minutes ago

4 by deg »»
42 seconds ago

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 1 hour ago

11 by Gator »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - Yesterday

41 by Adnash »»
12 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

183 by alshu »»
13 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 16 minutes ago

0 by Kushna »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.