Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion

Sep 24, 2016 10:24 AM
BonzoPlant said:

Oh my god you are like the first person to pick up on that, I had to go through hundreds of comments of stupid people thinking she was actually guitly. She saw how miserable the thought of killing his own child made him feel, and she thought she'd make him feel better by pretending to have cheated on him. Also it is revealed later in the anime that this specific arbitor has trouble picking up on human emotions, which makes it even more obvious.

There was no pretending though. There is plenty of evidence that she cheated. And there is also evidence that she has been cheating for some time. There is also vague evidence that this not her first time dating someone for money and she is well known in her circle for doing so.

The question is not so much if she was cheating or not, that's a fact, she cheated. The question is what she is "guilty" of in the confines of this decision of the game. The guy was paranoid, that's for sure, but he was right. She was cheating and has been. We do know that she did fall in love with her husband, that she was pregnant, and that she felt guilty when she cheated after they where married. I bet from that point on she would never cheat on him again and they would live happily. But once again, that doesn't change the fact that she cheated.

She was smarter than him, and manipulated him. And at the end she did so for his sake and not her own. This is what the arbitor did not pick up on. We saw the flash backs of how happy she was right before the wedding, we then saw how unhappy and disgusted she was when she cheated after the wedding. Her "soul" changed at that point, laying in that bed. So she went in all the way for the sake of her husbands in a way to save herself by sacrificing herself.

What the arbitor didn't pick up on was that and the assistant did pick up on, was the wife changed after the wedding, she did love him and was happy, she learned her lesson and was willing to accepted her punishment while trying to protect her husband.

One can argue that since she changed, and learned, that she deserves to be reincarnated. While he learned nothing and changed nothing. To me this is like saying, well the murder felt bad and regrets what he has done so he should be freed, well that doesn't change the fact that the victim is still the victim.

I still think she was "guilty", the out come was correct and they both got what they deserved.

Sep 28, 2016 6:38 PM

If she won the game, why did she go to the void? Is the game really just to bring their true colors out or what?

Oct 18, 2016 3:59 PM
What's really jarring about this episode is that, whether she cheated or not, the guy should have gotten punished as well. He is the one responsible for their deaths, he tried to save himself over his wife, he tried to hurt the child, he tried to hit her when he learned the truth. Cheated on or not, this guy was a jerkass, definitely more than his wife. I was looking forward to this series but I guess this is it for me.

EDIT: Well I watched the second episode and I take it partially back. My point still stands, in that anyone could tell this guy was a bastard even at face value, but the second episode at least made it less jarring.
Modified by thelumpur, Oct 18, 2016 4:29 PM

Nov 18, 2016 2:43 PM

not sure where this story goes..
need to watch more.

Nov 20, 2016 3:39 PM

I really liked this premiere episode. I don't mind that it was similar to Death Billiards, I actually enjoy this formula. However, Death Billiards managed to tear me up a little bit (at the "hug scene"), while I didn't get an emotional catharsis from this one. This episode did have a more depressing ending, so I think it kind of balances out.

You all are bringing up some really interesting points. I didn't even consider that Machiko's confession was an act, but I suppose it's possible. She wasn't smirking after the husband attacked him with the darts, although that doesn't really support this idea. The invitation is a better clue, for sure.

I also thought reincarnation was the reward and that the void was the punishment, though now I see that it would depend on the person, which one would be the reward for them.

Same here, I don't understand why Decim didn't refuse to disclose the couples respective destinations this time. But it's possible it's really just up to him, and there really isn't any rule forcing him to keep it secret, and in Death Billiards he just didn't feel like sharing.
Modified by LeeTailor, Nov 20, 2016 3:43 PM

Nov 21, 2016 9:35 AM

RIP that couple lol wasn't as sad as people are saying

Dec 13, 2016 2:23 PM

I'm not sure if she was telling the truth there, I think she said all that stuff about having an affair and that the child wasn't his because she loved him and wanted to let him go to heaven.

Dec 20, 2016 7:04 PM

PotassiumBob said:
BonzoPlant said:

Oh my god you are like the first person to pick up on that, I had to go through hundreds of comments of stupid people thinking she was actually guitly. She saw how miserable the thought of killing his own child made him feel, and she thought she'd make him feel better by pretending to have cheated on him. Also it is revealed later in the anime that this specific arbitor has trouble picking up on human emotions, which makes it even more obvious.

There was no pretending though. There is plenty of evidence that she cheated. And there is also evidence that she has been cheating for some time. There is also vague evidence that this not her first time dating someone for money and she is well known in her circle for doing so.

The question is not so much if she was cheating or not, that's a fact, she cheated. The question is what she is "guilty" of in the confines of this decision of the game. The guy was paranoid, that's for sure, but he was right. She was cheating and has been. We do know that she did fall in love with her husband, that she was pregnant, and that she felt guilty when she cheated after they where married. I bet from that point on she would never cheat on him again and they would live happily. But once again, that doesn't change the fact that she cheated.

She was smarter than him, and manipulated him. And at the end she did so for his sake and not her own. This is what the arbitor did not pick up on. We saw the flash backs of how happy she was right before the wedding, we then saw how unhappy and disgusted she was when she cheated after the wedding. Her "soul" changed at that point, laying in that bed. So she went in all the way for the sake of her husbands in a way to save herself by sacrificing herself.

What the arbitor didn't pick up on was that and the assistant did pick up on, was the wife changed after the wedding, she did love him and was happy, she learned her lesson and was willing to accepted her punishment while trying to protect her husband.

One can argue that since she changed, and learned, that she deserves to be reincarnated. While he learned nothing and changed nothing. To me this is like saying, well the murder felt bad and regrets what he has done so he should be freed, well that doesn't change the fact that the victim is still the victim.

I still think she was "guilty", the out come was correct and they both got what they deserved.

Late reply but in the credits there is a scene where there is a table and a reservation name tag on a plate and it has already been translated as Machiko, the one she mentioned from highschool. So it's still just a theory that she cheated on him.

Dec 20, 2016 7:28 PM
Primeval said:

Late reply but in the credits there is a scene where there is a table and a reservation name tag on a plate and it has already been translated as Machiko, the one she mentioned from highschool. So it's still just a theory that she cheated on him.

MAL needs a better way of letting people know threads have been updated with new posts.

That does put a hamper on my view and back in Sept I would have enjoyed some more speculation and discussion. But now that I finished the show

Dec 21, 2016 2:10 AM
@PotassiumBob

She didn't cheat, watch it again. It's subtle but it's clear at the same time, at least to the more fine detail observant amongst us...

Jan 4, 2017 8:22 PM

7 dart finish was impossible from start; the minimum number of darts required to finish is 9 darts. The game was meant to test the contestants.

Feb 25, 2017 9:35 AM
I'm confused, did winning or losing the game have anything to do with where they were sent?

Mar 28, 2017 5:44 AM

My First expression on this anime was like holy shit I didn't expect it to be episodic, so let's not worry about that and give a moment for that great animation, I haven't seen a marvelous animation like that in quite a while to be honest.

The story was really promising and different from any other anime yeah what ever, Apparently that cheap ass bitch went right to hell and it seems like the game don't decide who wil go to hell or heaven I could be wrong so we will basically know more about it in the future I guess, so far so good I hope this keeps the glass up xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 14, 2017 9:28 PM

I'm in the camp that thinks she didn't cheat. She sees that the man she had a child with is not the man that is in front of her, the man in front of her is pathetic and unrecognizable. The man she loved and had a child with never really existed.

I think she was not sent to hell, she's gone to eternal rest. In this anime universe there's no heaven and hell, only reincarnation and the void (eternal rest). People who haven't lived properly get reincarnated, like the husband. For others, it's eternal rest.

In other words, being sent to the void is GOOD. She has been freed from suffering, the repeating cycle of life. She has gone back to emptiness, the state we are all in before we are born.

The husband has been reincarnated, which I suppose can be good or bad. He might eventually be sent to the void.

EDIT: Well the next episode clears things up. Apparently I'm wrong on many points. The void is treated like it's a place where souls get lost in darkness, which doesn't sound like the soul having eternal rest.
Modified by Ero-Camel, May 15, 2017 8:52 AM

May 18, 2017 7:16 PM

Of course she cheated, they showed her in a flashback with another man.

Good episode, looking forward to the rest.

Jun 11, 2017 8:42 PM
Avenger-senpai said:

It is pretty clear she didn't cheat. What other man? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Takashi is a mess. His jealously got both of them killed, heck maybe the three of them if Machiko was truly pregnant.

That was heartbreaking though, which is weird because I didn't expect to feel anything towards the characters of a twenty minutes episode. Putting Takashi's stupid behavior aside, it was clear he wasn't lying when he said he wanted to have a family and he loved Machiko, but sadly his character flaw got in the way of things.

Promising. This reminds me a bit of Jikogu Shoujo.

Jun 11, 2017 8:47 PM
Blondie said:
If she won the game, why did she go to the void? Is the game really just to bring their true colors out or what?
Yeah, I found that super strange. Hopefully there is an explanation. Sure, life can be shitty and... well, it is shitty for so many people... but how can someone having your soul sent to "the void" be considered a reward for winning a game?

Jun 11, 2017 9:05 PM

ReilaNimu said:
Avenger-senpai said:

It is pretty clear she didn't cheat. What other man? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe replay the scene? Right after she says there's someone else she loves they show a flashback of her being in bed with a man that doesn't look like him while she's holding her face to the sheets/pillow.

Jun 14, 2017 7:49 AM
This was a good episode. Okay just to clarify, the woman really was having an affair right?

Jul 14, 2017 3:43 PM
Just started watching this. So many people didn't catch a lot of things. The second episode clearly explains the truth. Yes the wife cheated, but it was once. She was clearly crying after it happened. She regretted it.
Now, the black haired lady noticed what we and the arbiter didn't. The Wife's outburst at the end was definitely an act. She cries before it and takes a breath before changing her demeanor. Then proceeds to claim what his jealousy thinks is truth. She did indeed cheat once, but the baby was definitely the husbands, she was not in love with anyone else. When she says this she meant the way he was before he over heard her friends and him becoming a jealous wreck. Everything she said was to save the Husband. The arbiter didn't pick up on this and therefore she was sent to The void. Clearly it should have been the husband. He acted horrible and mean the whole way through, even towards the end. She was not the gold-digging harlot she accused herself of being with her outburst. The friend that the other friends were talking about was indeed a real person and not the wife. Cheating once is not a valid reason for someone to go to "hell" The husband had a lot more issues that would have made him go there instead. That is what I gathered from both episodes. The Wife loved him enough to go to hell, so he could go to heaven.

Jul 19, 2017 4:59 PM

Been wanting to watch this for a while and finally got to it. Great first episode.

Aug 31, 2017 2:20 AM
i fucking knew she didn't cheat and it was obviously an act, i cant believe some people didnt pick up on that.
EDIT: nvm i was wrong im dumb
this show seems really promising. first episode was done perfectly and kept me hooked. excited to see where this goes
Modified by groovykirito, Aug 31, 2017 10:04 PM

Nov 20, 2017 12:28 PM

Some pretty fucked up shit, especially with Machiko being a cunt at the end, but hey, at least she's going to hell.
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy

Dec 28, 2017 12:17 AM
Oh gosh!! I'm glad I decided to watch this anime because it's certainly interesting and I'm loving the mind games. xD For some reason, I thought the woman was just lying to save her husband but I'm guessing she was telling the truth after all since we see in the end that Decim sent her to Hell? Speaking of Decim, I hope he's the main character in the show because I reallly love him! xD When those strings shot up his fingers, I was cheering him on, even though it was just to keep the husband from killing the wife...even though they're basically already dead but you know what I mean. xD can't wait to see more! 5/5. :)
Modified by chareexnicole, Dec 28, 2017 12:22 AM

Jan 3, 2018 3:25 PM

That was cheesy. In the second episode it would get even cheesier, triple twist and reincarnation.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.

Jan 19, 2018 4:23 PM
well that was stressful. Also im really confused why was the guy reincarnated? Was she lying about the affair just to save him or was so serious? It wasint really clear.

Mar 7, 2018 10:02 AM
Nugester said:
I got it.

-Originally, the husband --> going to the void, wife-->reincarnated ...why? Because husband is responsible for their deaths and their baby's
-Everything is pre-determined
-They go to purgatory to air out dirty laundry and the only place you can change fate
-Wife definitely cheated on husband at some point and felt remorse (in earlier pages, look for it)
-Husband really did misunderstand wife's friends gossip (if someone could translate the name tag at the wedding reception in the credits, would strongly corroborate this)
-Wife shows genuine happiness in regards to her life with husband; she is happy when she finds out she is pregnant. She probably really loves him, but made a mistake
-Husband is all over the place, distrusts everyone and is in pain/agony
-Wife lies to husband to give him "peace" whatever that may mean
-**Arbiter's face changes, he knows what's going on**
-Wife chooses husband over herself; since she won the game she can choose what happens; she now goes to the "void" and husband is reincarnated

This supports "Death Billiards"
-Old man originally going to the "Void", Young guy- reincarnated
-Everything is pre-determined
-Until you go to purgatory where you air out your dirty laundry and the only place you can change fate
-Young guy didn't want to go to the "Void"
- Old man looks like he has accepted whatever is given to him.
-Young guy clinging, fighting, scratching to live since he hasn't lived life; young guy won the game, so he gets to choose what happens
-Young guy-->reincarnated, old guy->"Void"
-Old guy probably smirked because he is bad-ass and is ready for anything ...that is probably what he told the Arbiter
This. This is by far the best analysis so far, no doubt in my mind it's the correct understanding. What's the point of winning the game if you don't get to choose who gets reincarnated and who gets sent to the void, therefore she did in fact make the conscience CHOICE to reincarnate her husband. And yeah, some seem to have missed the little hint at the end demonstrating the truth to her story about Yuuki (wish it was translated so I didn't have to look it up to be fair).

Mar 22, 2018 2:18 PM

Liked this episode, but didn't feel like the game of darts had any real meaning. How suddenly the guy wants to win, without wven knowing whether there was anything at stake, seemed forced to me.
Initial reactions to finding yourself inside a psychopaths bar quite unrealistic also.

Apr 7, 2018 12:54 PM

Strong first episode. OP was great and interaction between the couple was emotional and strong

Aug 9, 2018 12:34 PM

This anime is so dope, i love this.

Oct 6, 2018 3:04 PM

wtf were those final minutes, everything was fucked up

Oct 26, 2018 2:43 PM
Top Aidoru ♪

"I'm pregnant with your baby! Please, do what you must, but don't hit my stomach!"

"Okay." *hits stomach*

Who...who wrote this? Is this show supposed to be a morbid comedy? I get these are death "games," and are supposed to be playful, but the original short film was Death Note's level of over-dramatizing mundane activities, which I felt to be really fun. This just feels stiff and awkward. Also, towards the end, it felt like the show was struggling desperately to try and make the visiting characters to be as pathetic as possible, if just to absolve the viewers of any potential guilt in witnessing a newly married couple harm each other. I guess it's not technically sadism if the given characters somehow deserved their pain...? Also, was it not possible to throw the darts at the ground? How about to try and draw?

I feel this show would be better with actual terrible people playing the games, which would make Death Parade more of a karmic purgatory, rather than punishing random jerks.

Apr 9, 2019 2:34 PM

So the guy is willing to murder the unborn child if he thinks it isn't his? And he gets reincarnation?

Shouldn't this be dealt with in marriage counselling anyway? Like shouldn't this Quindecim place get actual bad people to play the games. Like killers and rapists? Feel it would match up a lot more.

May 19, 2019 10:17 AM

Bitchin' OP. I remember the first time I heard it was when RAB made a video with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RRU1hoHQdg

Jun 1, 2019 8:14 AM
Good Episode
Quite Interesting
I'll watch this

Dec 8, 2019 6:12 PM

That was one wild first episode. Though I'm not sure about the decision on who went to the void and who went to be reincarnated, I think maybe they both should've been given another chance? idk.

Pages (16) « First ... « 14 15 [16]