Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2015 11:48 AM

Jul 2014
Holy Shit!

I did watch this without any informations beforehand.
I really love the idea with this method of judging them and I hope it stays this interesting.
Jan 9, 2015 11:48 AM

Oct 2014
Oh man that's quite a start, two people particularly lovers where made to kill each other.....Oh, but wait, those two were already dead when their car went over the cliff, so therefore that place was the judgment where one goes to heaven and the other goes to hell.
Jan 9, 2015 11:49 AM

Dec 2014
That was just phenomenal, a true gem. Psychological anime of the year, calling it right now.
Jan 9, 2015 11:51 AM

Nov 2012
Omg Omg Omg Omg Omg Omg Omg Omg I waited it for so long time and it comes out OoO
Jan 9, 2015 11:51 AM

Nov 2008
jordanguy9 said:
Tacas said:
So does this confirm the fate of the two guys in the OVA? Same elevator, same fate, right?

I think they said it was for couples, were those two gay?

They said it was for people who died at the same time.

AoiBochhan said:
I'm honestly not totally convinced that she did cheat :/

The way Decim was surprised and how Machiko bit her lips seemed like she was forcing herself to lie.

If she really was a cheating bitch would she confess about what she did? wouldn't she just go to heaven...

I think it doesn't really matter that she confessed, Decim or whoever decides where they go to probably already knows the truth. I'm convinced that she cheated and if you look at her face when the elevator closes, you can see how in the last moment her expression changes to what I'd call regret.
Jan 9, 2015 11:52 AM

Jul 2013
nicholasokay said:
What's the point of the game to ensure scenarios like what happened to the couple occur (in effect the result of the game doesn't matter) or does the game actually determine who goes to heaven or hell (read: the void) or both help?

I'd would say that the game and those little flashbacks push the players to their limits, until they show their true colors. They are not judged by the result of the game, but by their behaviour during it
Jan 9, 2015 11:53 AM

Jun 2011
Compared to OVA I love the fact that they are expanding the world beyond the bar and these revalations.
Jan 9, 2015 11:54 AM

Oct 2014
Original concept I like. Gonna be hard to develop the characters in such a short time frame though. Madhouse putting out the good stuff as per usual.

Feb 2014
The OP feels so cheerful. Almost had me in a dancing mood.

The darts game they played reminded me of the same darts game played in Hunter x Hunter during the Chimera Ant arc, except not all that gruesome.

OutZoned said:
For all we know, "the void" could be "heaven" because it releases you from life, while "reincarnation" could be "hell" because it subjects you to the pain of living again.

Never thought about it that way, I was only looking at the face masks at the top of the elevator doors..

"Later on, you will become a lively person causing headaches as the shrine-god."
Jun 2012
Smudy said:
Could it be that she actually lied for him? When she said that she cheated, Dekim looked surprised.

I think this is the more interesting idea (if not conclusive) than "the cheater getting her comeuppance" because it means the game is so circumstantial it doesn't care who should rightly go to heaven or hell; Dekim's reaction + the switching masks at their arrival/leave at the elevator + her flashback before her confession cements this for me.
nicholasokayJan 9, 2015 1:26 PM
Jan 9, 2015 11:57 AM

Jan 2013
This is hands down one of the best shows of winter 15. This first episode was very impactful and powerful simultaneously, though the OAV's victims were better characters. I personally dislike cheatings in couples, this anime digs through this matter and gives us a morale. Just love this shit.

And idk if im slow or not, but whats the point of having organs all over the game? I mean, its not like if you strike ones heart, he/she will die. As seen in today's ep.
Jan 9, 2015 11:58 AM
Mar 2012
OutZoned said:
I don't think that she was actually cheating. It definitely appeared to me that she was lying just to strike back at him. She sarcastically told him what he wanted to hear because he couldn't handle the truth. We also don't know the criteria for how people are chosen for "the void" and "reincarnation."

For all we know, "the void" could be "heaven" because it releases you from life, while "reincarnation" could be "hell" because it subjects you to the pain of living again.

Based on the fact that we don't know the criteria, we also can't make assumptions that cheating on someone is an action that sends you to one place or the other. This system may not even take actions into account, and instead focuses only on emotional and mental states.

There are far too many unanswered questions that need resolved before we can draw any sort of conclusions, especially ones based on a system of morality that may not even exist in the show.

She cheat on him and she feel bad for it. When she see Takashi going nuts from distrust she feels she deserve some 'punishment'.
http://i.imgur.com/04gpXu4.jpg

I believe the winner have right to choose like in "Death Billiard", hence she choose to disappear and let Takashi reincarnated.

This expression tells that "She did cheat on him, but she is truly in love with Takashi and the child is his"
http://i.imgur.com/Q3IF9jE.jpg
Jan 9, 2015 12:00 PM

Jun 2011
-Klad- said:

And idk if im slow or not, but whats the point of having organs all over the game? I mean, its not like if you strike ones heart, he/she will die. As seen in today's ep.

They still feel pain and remember what happens when they still do not comprehend the situation. This episode was a bit predictable, btw.
Jan 9, 2015 12:01 PM

Jun 2014
Great starting episode, just like death billiards. Decim calm and collected as usual. I am hoping to see more character development from the other characters.

8.5/10.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jan 9, 2015 12:01 PM

Jul 2014
Silvertongue00 said:
OutZoned said:
I don't think that she was actually cheating. It definitely appeared to me that she was lying just to strike back at him. She sarcastically told him what he wanted to hear because he couldn't handle the truth. We also don't know the criteria for how people are chosen for "the void" and "reincarnation."

Based on the fact that we don't know the criteria, we also can't make assumptions that cheating on someone is an action that sends you to one place or the other. This system may not even take actions into account, and instead focuses only on emotional and mental states.

There are far too many unanswered questions that need resolved before we can draw any sort of conclusions, especially ones based on a system of morality that may not even exist in the show.

She cheat on him and she feel bad for it. When she see Takashi going nuts from distrust she feels she deserve some 'punishment'.

I believe the winner have right to choose like in "Death Billiard", hence she choose to disappear and let Takashi reincarnated.

This expression tells that "She did cheat on him, but she is truly in love with Takashi and the child is his"

+1
Jan 9, 2015 12:02 PM

Apr 2013
this was fantastic.

fantastic animation, great and unique setting, great op, good ed all around a great episode
Jan 9, 2015 12:03 PM

Oct 2012
I'm kind of disappointed that they just killed the mystery of where they were sent to because again, it could have been either way. Though I'm glad that they seem to be bringing in a plot and new characters. It'll at least be an interesting follow.

And that OP is nothing short of amazing.
Jan 9, 2015 12:05 PM
Jun 2012
Y
NaughtyNoddy said:
nicholasokay said:
What's the point of the game to ensure scenarios like what happened to the couple occur (in effect the result of the game doesn't matter) or does the game actually determine who goes to heaven or hell (read: the void) or both help?

I'd would say that the game and those little flashbacks push the players to their limits, until they show their true colors. They are not judged by the result of the game, but by their behaviour during it

Yeah. I think your right...hopefully the outcomes for the next eps are not as depressing as what happened here lol.
Jan 9, 2015 12:05 PM
Jun 2012
hahah wow through out the game it kept shifting between the wife being a cheater and then the husband being too paranoid and then right at the last minute it turns out the wife was cheating although the dude she was cheating with didn't look to interested in he looked to be txting someone else while she lays next to him. and just when the wife thinks shes won the masks at the top of the elevators switched and she goin to hell damn great episode kinda wanted to see a little more gore like them showing the bodies that were hung.
Jan 9, 2015 12:06 PM

Mar 2013
Kuro_Shiro said:
Silvertongue00 said:

+1

+1

This show is set up to be depressing, because you know from the minute someone appears from an elevator that they'll never get closure on their life. It was simply interrupted, unless it's dying from old age like the grandpa in the ova.

It's really well made, anyhow. Looking forward to the next episode, which looks like it'll explain a little more how the afterlife works! *me is excited*
Jan 9, 2015 12:06 PM

Jan 2013
ArdenFolgore said:
-Klad- said:

They still feel pain and remember what happens when they still do not comprehend the situation. This episode was a bit predictable, btw.
That makes sense. Thanks
Jan 9, 2015 12:08 PM

Nov 2011
It wasn't bad, but I'm not sure if I enjoyed this or not.

I don't think the game itself determines where the people end up going, but rather their actions during the game. When the woman showed her true colors, Quindecim took note, and I believe that's when it was decided that she would be sent to the void.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the reincarnation is meant to be heaven and the void to be hell, since the face above the man's elevator was good and the one above the woman's was bad.

I don't know if I'll follow this while it airs. I need to be in the right mood for this sort of show.
Jan 9, 2015 12:09 PM

Aug 2010
Very predictable from start to finish (turning at each other, the girl ending up pregnant, etc) and the animation was absolutely terrible when the guy broke down, looked liked it was something from a comedy, very jarring. The show has potential, but it needs to improve, so far it's very textbookish.
Jan 9, 2015 12:11 PM

Feb 2008
this is an incarnation of Jigoku Shoujo eh? that was interesting. lets see how the rest of them turn out.
Jan 9, 2015 12:12 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Yeah, very predictable lol

There are already various interpretations on this first episode and on the character behaviours. How is it predictable? xD
Jan 9, 2015 12:15 PM

Aug 2011
I really liked the OVA when I watched it the first time and I hoped there will be more. Seems like I'm pretty lucky~ Death Parade reminds me of Hell Girl a little bit which is good. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 9, 2015 12:15 PM

Feb 2012
Watched on a whim and really enjoyed it. I can't tell who ended up worse, cheating wife or guy that tried to murder said wife. The man could reincarnate into an insect or something and the void might be interpreted as Nirvana.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2015 12:16 PM

Jul 2014
This was a great episode. i'm glad they're exploring more stuff then just having a death game every episode. can't wait for the whole cast of the bar(?).
Jan 9, 2015 12:16 PM
Mar 2012
pure guessing, first two aren't from me:
- She break his heart i.imgur.com/g8eaxmE.jpg
- Soiled relationship i.imgur.com/g8eaxmE.jpg
- Pure coincidence she 'hit' double ring on eye
- Pure coincidence he 'hit' double ring on intestines

I think her story about "Machida Yuuki" is true i.imgur.com/Pcg6h7f.jpg
Jan 9, 2015 12:22 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
- ''Reincarnation'' and ''The Void''
- Cheat or not?

Basically, we know nothing really. But this anime already makes us think hard which is amazing.
Jan 9, 2015 12:23 PM
Feb 2013
The first episode was crazy Husband vs Wife Darts Game
Jan 9, 2015 12:28 PM

Aug 2008
SalemWitch said:
Kuro_Shiro said:

+1

+1

This show is set up to be depressing, because you know from the minute someone appears from an elevator that they'll never get closure on their life. It was simply interrupted, unless it's dying from old age like the grandpa in the ova.

It's really well made, anyhow. Looking forward to the next episode, which looks like it'll explain a little more how the afterlife works! *me is excited*

I kind of feel the same way as OutZoned, I don't think she cheated. I think she said that to give him what he wanted to help him out in a sense. Also, since she was the winner and we don't know particularly know how they are judged... It is possible she never cheated, but being the winner, told him she did so and choose to go to hell and let him live again at another chance (Assuming that is what the reincarnation stands for in this game). Her baby was dead anyways from the crash so. The arbitrator guy looked kind of surprised so. Who knows though, all speculation till we get more info, great episode though!
Jan 9, 2015 12:29 PM

Apr 2014
This was pretty similar to the OVA but it seems something different is coming. Seriously, if this is done right, it might very well become one of my favorite anime. So, to say that I'm hyped is an understatement.
your waifu is shit
Jan 9, 2015 12:31 PM
Sep 2014
Well, i guess the waifu and husbando game is over.
I really like animes about games and i expect this to be very entertaining.I guess the first episode was just an introduction cause i expected more.
Jan 9, 2015 12:33 PM

Mar 2012
OutZoned said:
The latter view, about reincarnation being the equivalent of hell, certainly sounds like a very Buddhist way of thinking. On the other hand, I'm afraid I don't know enough about Buddhism to judge whether or not "the void" (the Japanese word they used, 虚無, can also be translated as "nothingness") is an accurate description of the mainstream Japanese Mahayana Buddhist interpretations of enlightenment and/or Buddha-nature, not to mention whether or not what Machiko did and went through, even assuming that she did lie about having cheated/the child not being his/only being after his money/etc., qualifies her for anything resembling that status.
Jan 9, 2015 12:34 PM

Dec 2012
Noo..

As expected Madhouse. I didn't even know if was from them until I was done with the episode and satisfied came reading up on it afterwards. ;) My favorite series by far this season, which admittedly isn't too hard as of yet. And that OP looks totally bonkers compared to the tone of the show itself.
SuitedupJan 9, 2015 12:46 PM
Jan 9, 2015 12:35 PM

Jul 2014
Life on Earth is simply a test to see whether humans are fit or not to enter heaven or hell. Whoever got reincarnated back to Earth is probably being tested again because they were unable to judge that they could enter Heaven or Hell.
YehartJan 9, 2015 12:41 PM
"Hi!"
Jan 9, 2015 12:36 PM

Nov 2013
Awesome episode, I've been super freaking hyped for this since it was announced.

MADHOUSE DELIVERS! That animation was something special too, the level of expression was simply off the charts.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 9, 2015 12:40 PM

Jul 2010
Such an amazing first episode, testing a couple on who loved each other more. I sort of felt that Takashi didn't like the girl as much as the trust is as thin as air.

The girl saying she cheated while looking like that and also to not show her face when she actually said it. It is just pretty amusing how the unknowns just makes certainty to be impossible. Or at least lots of branches of thinking to outcomes that are really different.
Jan 9, 2015 12:43 PM

Jan 2014
That was really really really good!

I believe that she really loved him and she was pregnant his baby, some points i based that assumption:
a) We saw her memories and she was seem genuine happy, why would even remember those things if she did not really love him?
b) We saw in her memories hold the positive pregnant test and smile.
c) She took her dart back and try to throw it way, if she really didn't love him she would have tried to throw it on the board and win.
d) She said she was lying only when she saw him suffering really really bad.

So what i believe happen is that she was trying to take some of his suffering off by lying
(killed my pregnant wife who really loved me < killed a whore who was after my money)
InstaKillerJan 9, 2015 12:46 PM

"When /a/ sends its fags, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you.
They’re sending fags that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems to us.
They’re bringing cancer. They’re bringing bait. They’re shitposters.
And some, I assume, are good fags."
-@Xinil
Jan 9, 2015 12:44 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude
Dat OP.
Even if i've seen the OVA and it was a little bit in the same way, that was perfect !
Looks like we gonna go deeper in the next episode.
So far, the ED has the best song this season IMO
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 9, 2015 12:44 PM

Apr 2013
Heh heh, I wasn't disappointed. Madhouse, you've done it again.

It felt exactly like the OVA, and since it had been a while since I had last watched it, when that feeling came back, it made me ecstatic. I think it was nice of them to start off the show with a game, because while the OVA can stand on its own, I'm not sure how many people have really watched it prior to watching this one, so it's a good way to bring them to the same level as everyone else.

Also that OP. :D

This is shaping up to be one of my favorites this season, I hope the show keeps it up, and exceeds my expectations. I especially would like some more explanations for the world, since it was kept rather ambiguous in the OVA. Luckily, it looks like next episode will expand on it more.
Jan 9, 2015 12:47 PM
Sep 2014
OutZoned said:

The red spooky mask can't be a good thing.
Jan 9, 2015 12:49 PM

Jan 2012
Huh so the game was just to get the truth then?

Anyway it was kinda nice... I think...
Jan 9, 2015 12:49 PM

Jul 2014
Great op (starts funny) and great ending (ends dark you know, cause in most episodes you will have found out their true selves and it will be dark), and great main character!

10/10 first episode, the post ending scene could've been kept out, it was better but whatever i guess, some people would've argued otherwise that the girl went to paradise if they didn't explicitly said it in the anime (just like how they don't accept light being a shinigami and lelouch being alive with c.c)
Jan 9, 2015 12:50 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
My view on this would be that she lied to him for the sake of having him go to heaven. Decim sent her to hell cause his last moments were pure suffering cause of her lie.
Jan 9, 2015 12:52 PM

Jan 2014
Interesting OP. That woman seriously had me twisted...
I thought that because of his actions, he would get sent down and into the void and her up to be reincarnated. Of course he was to blame for their death but she deceived him to the line of going nuts.

Brilliant first EP ^O^

note: There was a saint like mask and a devil mask above the elevator doors, i believe reincarnation is Heaven since it means rebirth and the void meaning contract (sounds quite devilish) the opposite would be strange.
CandyFaceJan 9, 2015 12:55 PM
Jan 9, 2015 12:52 PM
Jul 2014
Smudy said:
My view on this would be that she lied to him for the sake of having him go to heaven. Decim sent her to hell cause his last moments were pure suffering cause of her lie.

Ya i think so too
Jan 9, 2015 12:55 PM
Dec 2010
Smudy said:

Anyone who thinks she didn't cheat are they trying oi ignore this part of the episode or are they just blind? http://i.imgur.com/04gpXu4.jpg
koolvidJan 9, 2015 12:58 PM
blaze it
Jan 9, 2015 12:56 PM

Jan 2013
worlds first problems: waiting 1 whole week for death parade.
Pages (17) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2015

521 by Seraschi »»
Apr 1, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

596 by oDaw1 »»
Mar 25, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2015

674 by Listone »»
Mar 24, 6:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.