Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion


Jan 9, 2015 7:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1583
There are a lot of people who seem to think she really did have that affair but I really don't. I mean a lot of her body language gives it away. If she didn't give a fuck about him (which, by her words she shouldn't have because she says "who would marry someone like you?!") then why didn't she laugh right at his face? Why did she turn around and cry first? If she didn't care about him at all and was perfectly fine with what she did (since she tries to justify herself) then why did she do that? Not to mention that there was a bit of that teeth clenching before he said that. And lying on the trying not to cry before going into the elevator. And finally, we have that really painful look right before she descends. And her "confession" was so damn exaggerated.

Her flashbacks didn't show a bit of this cheating stuff only his. And did he really catch her cheating?? He just "caught" her enjoying herself on her phone with whoever. Sure that might be enough to arouse suspicion but communication is important in relationships and this episode really shows that. To me it's probably the sort of thing where Takashi may have read too much into something. I mean shit, I'm always on the phone talking to my friends late at night, in the car and practically everywhere. Don't you think that we would've seen at least one flashback on her part if her confession was really the truth? All of her flashbacks are of her loving him and being happy with him; but a majority of his flashbacks are his on contrived theories as to how she might be cheating on him. Takashi remembers her being tired, and her friends talking about this person named "Matchy" apparently (idk if the subs I saw were weird or what but anyways), her on the phone at night, during the day, and in the car. She remembers meeting him, having fun with him, being happy at their wedding, smiling at the pregnancy test. If she was really cheating they would've given us a stronger clue like the memories of cheating actually being prominent. None of her flashbacks give us that information.

What I think is that she lied so she could confirm/justify what he thought because at that point, after the shock of knowing that they're both dead, after remembering all his conspiracies of the probability of his wife's affair, and being confused as hell and all he's almost in no mind to think things through rationally. So she probably thought that if she just confirmed his theories then he'd feel a little righteous. She was probably also under the influence of shock and probably really hurt because of what he was saying because hell who wouldn't? Like I get why he's hurt but he hasn't even confirmed this affair with her. Communication is important guys.

Anyways again the last scene is really what gives me a strong feeling that she never cheated because that's not a look of "Aw, fuck I spilled" but that's a look of pain and sadness and I can't find another way to read that.
 
Jan 9, 2015 7:14 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 1152
Death Billiards was amazing, good to see this is too. I was wondering how they'd bring back the "body gets hurt if you win" plot point in other types of games.

Declared anime of the season.

Also, Quindecim is probably gonna be one of my favorite characters.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
 
Jan 9, 2015 7:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1583
Nitemare25 said:
Alright, so here is my take.

I think she cheated, but had regretted it, and was truly in love with her husband. That's the only way I can really explain how it seems like she's putting on an act at the end (Not looking at someone while talking to them is usually a sign of lying in anime, right? And she kind of goes overboard.), but we get some definite proof that she was cheating in the form of a flashback. I believe the Matchy story may actually be real, though at first I thought she was lying and actually talking about herself. I'm not exactly sure why she went to hell (I would agree there is some doubt brought about by the wording of where they were going as to which one is really hell, but how the masks look and how they switched kind of eliminates most of that doubt I think.), but I think that although she had tried to forget about her mistake, she saw him suffering and felt responsible and guilty, so she kind of made the choice to go to hell in the end. I'm not really sure how though....


Okay, yeah, now I'm inclined to believe that this is the case. It's so obviously clear that she really did love her husband.
 
Jan 9, 2015 7:22 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 67
catchy opening and a great episode. Madhouse at it again.
 
Jan 9, 2015 7:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 36
Everything was pretty much the same, just new chars and a diff game.
Episode 2 looks very promising.
 
Jan 9, 2015 7:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1586
Wow! That was REALLY good! I liked this even more than the OVA!

I think I understand who gets sent to "heaven" or "hell". It all depends on their actions in their life and not about who wins the game at all. That explains why the Machiko did not get a second chance despite winning the game.

Great OP was a lot wackier and crazier than I was expecting it to be.

The ED song is also quite good!

Amazing first episode. This has some serious potential to be AOTS. 9/10

Monjoex said:
decim look almost like ginko
If Ginko decided to be a bartender in the afterlife.
Modified by Raulzus, Jan 9, 2015 7:48 PM

 
Jan 9, 2015 7:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 444
decim look almost like ginko
 
Jan 9, 2015 7:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 10
This anime is simply godlike, first episode had me like: SJHKADJFHPWEKJFHAWKJEHFALSJKDHGFASKJDGHALSKJD, fucking epic.
And the opening is awesome, loved it. 10/10.
Madhouse did it again.
Modified by Creamysan, Jan 9, 2015 7:53 PM
 
Jan 9, 2015 7:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1935
ChaoticSilence said:
I think I understand who gets sent to "heaven" or "hell". It all depends on their actions in their life and not about who wins the game at all. That explains why the Machiko did not get a second chance despite winning the game.


the game just sets the 2 people against each other and eventually their 'secrets' come out

+ at the very end, decim revealed the woman's soul got sent to the 'void' and the man would be reincarnated
 
Jan 9, 2015 7:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 257
just amazing anime like the ova :D


 
Jan 9, 2015 8:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 6622
That was amazing, the OP is really different and the ED song was beautiful, not to mention the smoothness!

5/5, Anime of the Season
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2151
Monjoex said:
decim look almost like ginko

I feel the same way too.
Man, why they didn't just make it draw when both of their score are 475 ?
Decent start I guess.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2264
Well, that was something...

I liked the OP visuals with everyone dancing, but the song was so out of place it was painful.

Everything about the games and stuff made no sense until you find out they are dead and basically in purgatory. Then it's like watching a really dark episode of Lost.

I was thinking "this is pretty stupid and pointless to make innocent people play a death game", until they mentioned it.

So at the end, the guy got reincarnated and the girl was sent to hell. I guess that means that she actually did have an affair and get pregnant. I thought when she said "it was all an act" it was to get back at him for going bat shit crazy, but guess not.

I wonder if that also means her little excuse was fake too. When she said oh her friend had a similar name and just happened to be nicknamed matchy, and she had a doctor husband that she was cheating on...I assume she was actually talking about herself but just lying.

I also don't see why the guy got reincarnated. I mean, yea, his wife cheated on him. But he kind of fucking got everyone killed. The car crash was 10000% his fault. You'd think killing a pregnant lady and yourself is a little worse than an affair...guess not.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Just to clarify! That Matchy person is indeed a real person, and isn't Matchiko. Matchiko didn't make it up, she was telling the truth.

That Matchy person was on the guest list apparently, if you look at the ED you would see they focused on a plate with Matchy's name.

Basically the dude was just too paranoid :/ He would have eventually killed her! and it's even his fault that they died...
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 117
I think she did love her husband, but that she was also having an affair.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 112
Fantastic opening and Ending, the only thing I hope for is that each new episode doesn't feel like a copy of the previous episode, that being said a great episode and wonderful new addition to the season.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:14 PM
Anime Moderator
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 7402
Jonesy974 said:

I wonder if that also means her little excuse was fake too. When she said oh her friend had a similar name and just happened to be nicknamed matchy, and she had a doctor husband that she was cheating on...I assume she was actually talking about herself but just lying.

Well apparently she did have friend who was invited to the wedding named Machida Yuuki.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 115
Damn... Madhouse is rocking it again. Just decided to watch this randomly, and so glad I did!

Also, ED = 11/10. Awesome song.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2264
tingy said:
Jonesy974 said:

I wonder if that also means her little excuse was fake too. When she said oh her friend had a similar name and just happened to be nicknamed matchy, and she had a doctor husband that she was cheating on...I assume she was actually talking about herself but just lying.

Well apparently she did have friend who was invited to the wedding named Machida Yuuki.


Oh fuck. I think almost everybody missed that. Oh shit, that changes things a bit.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2886
Amazing self contained episode, let's see how the rest good.

Wow I missed the matchy name in the ending (well because it's not fucking subbed!) now I'm thinking she didn't cheat.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 115
kikohunter said:
MAL overrates everything. The average show should have a score of 4~5 while it's 7~8 on MAL, meaning that people think most shows are good or very good which is false. Most of anime is mediocre.


Fans of anime rate anime higher than other people do? Inconceivable...!
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:25 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
The anime already said that all equal since the start...

They also gave us a hint that to judge people are very hard because of different parents, time period, location, birthplace, etc. That various factors make people lives unequal from the very beginning. (Hint on episode 00 "Death billiards")

That's so this isn't about who is the good guy or bad guy... also not about who had more sins when they were alive...

But about who realize their mistake and still have regrets... Maybe the one that realized their mistake or full of regrets get a second chance to reincarnate..
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 871
Wow. Intense episode. This series is probably going to be episodic - not that it matters. When Machiko said everything was a lie in the end I had a big feeling she was lying though... o.o
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:30 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Altius said:


That's so this isn't about who is the good guy or bad guy... also not about who had more sins when they were alive...

But about who realize their mistake and still have regrets... Maybe the one that realized their mistake or full of regrets get a second chance to reincarnate..


Well Takashi was the one that got the chance to reincarnate this time, but I don't think he realised any mistake, he was being distrustful towards his wife, till the very end

If anything, Machiko is the one more likely to have realised her mistake (that is if she did cheat on him) yet she was sent to void
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 13
chakracat said:

This is some strong psychological shit and I'm not disappointed.


I approve this.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 428
So this is where Ginko went after he eventually swallowed by Totally Darkness. Interesting.

I don't really care about what actually happened or what the real explanation is, the show seems to be continuing the style and story from the OVA and I think you are supposed to give your own answer, given that there is awful lots of conflicted information, as your were in a court acting like a jury, or it's just a bunch of bullshit? maybe, it definitely needs one or two more episodes to clear itself up. Great animation, the couple is so lively and everything is perfectly crafted, meet my expectation, at least the directing.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 83
Feaor said:
The start felt almost identical to Death Billiards, I hope they can mix it up so it doesn't feel stale.


Well not everyone watched the OVA, also, its been about a year since the OVA aird, so it makes sense to show it again.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2885
wow this is intense just like the movie loving it
[/quote]
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 491
Damn that was good.
I'm looking forward to this. Pretty psychological if I say so myself.

Xway101 ~By me~
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 3824
Strong first episode. Didn't expect any less from Madhouse.
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:56 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 88
in the ova there was a guy who cheated on his girlfriend and still went under the "heaven" or reincarnation elevator based on the masks. So I'm not sure if their fate is decided on the flashbacks we see or their entire life story which we do not know.
blaze it
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
AoiBochhan said:
Altius said:


That's so this isn't about who is the good guy or bad guy... also not about who had more sins when they were alive...

But about who realize their mistake and still have regrets... Maybe the one that realized their mistake or full of regrets get a second chance to reincarnate..


Well Takashi was the one that got the chance to reincarnate this time, but I don't think he realised any mistake, he was being distrustful towards his wife, till the very end

If anything, Machiko is the one more likely to have realised her mistake (that is if she did cheat on him) yet she was sent to void


Well in my opinion Takashi did felt a lot of regrets for his life...
So he was given a second chance to reincarnate..

The wife or the grandpa (episode 00) is possibly not realize their mistake or not frustrated/regret enough.. one of either reason... The grandpa smile because he probably content with his life, while the wife probably accepted the fact that they are dead...
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 88
Laciie said:
There are a lot of people who seem to think she really did have that affair but I really don't. I mean a lot of her body language gives it away. If she didn't give a fuck about him (which, by her words she shouldn't have because she says "who would marry someone like you?!") then why didn't she laugh right at his face? Why did she turn around and cry first? If she didn't care about him at all and was perfectly fine with what she did (since she tries to justify herself) then why did she do that? Not to mention that there was a bit of that teeth clenching before he said that. And lying on the trying not to cry before going into the elevator. And finally, we have that really painful look right before she descends. And her "confession" was so damn exaggerated.

Her flashbacks didn't show a bit of this cheating stuff only his. And did he really catch her cheating?? He just "caught" her enjoying herself on her phone with whoever. Sure that might be enough to arouse suspicion but communication is important in relationships and this episode really shows that. To me it's probably the sort of thing where Takashi may have read too much into something. I mean shit, I'm always on the phone talking to my friends late at night, in the car and practically everywhere. Don't you think that we would've seen at least one flashback on her part if her confession was really the truth? All of her flashbacks are of her loving him and being happy with him; but a majority of his flashbacks are his on contrived theories as to how she might be cheating on him. Takashi remembers her being tired, and her friends talking about this person named "Matchy" apparently (idk if the subs I saw were weird or what but anyways), her on the phone at night, during the day, and in the car. She remembers meeting him, having fun with him, being happy at their wedding, smiling at the pregnancy test. If she was really cheating they would've given us a stronger clue like the memories of cheating actually being prominent. None of her flashbacks give us that information.

What I think is that she lied so she could confirm/justify what he thought because at that point, after the shock of knowing that they're both dead, after remembering all his conspiracies of the probability of his wife's affair, and being confused as hell and all he's almost in no mind to think things through rationally. So she probably thought that if she just confirmed his theories then he'd feel a little righteous. She was probably also under the influence of shock and probably really hurt because of what he was saying because hell who wouldn't? Like I get why he's hurt but he hasn't even confirmed this affair with her. Communication is important guys.

Anyways again the last scene is really what gives me a strong feeling that she never cheated because that's not a look of "Aw, fuck I spilled" but that's a look of pain and sadness and I can't find another way to read that.
what about the flashback being naked with another man in bed?
blaze it
 
Jan 9, 2015 8:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 1202
This entire premise is just so fucked up, this judging system is so cruel. Amazing first episode and with the info dump passed I expect it to only get better.
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 172
I like when a series leave something to the viewer thoughts. I think the wife lied about the cheating to save the husband... but anyway, this was a great opener.
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:10 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 86
Sourire said:
anime of the season

straight up
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:12 PM
Trickster

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1521
That was decent. The premise is interesting. But not anime of the season worthy. I was sort of confused who this series was about before watching it, but I guess it's about the Bartender and Friends.
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:17 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 88
Todd_ said:
That was decent. The premise is interesting. But not anime of the season worthy. I was sort of confused who this series was about before watching it, but I guess it's about the Bartender and Friends.

anime of the season is all subjective so it will be anime of the season to a lot of people and vice versa. Currently I haven't see any anime this season over it.
blaze it
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:20 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 606
Strange opening, but I like it. Couldn't tell if the wife really cheated or not at the end, the way they showed it made it seem like she was lying. Great start so far.The ova was better, but I wonder how this will go.
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 225
I'm so happy Death Billiards got an actual tv series !!
Finally we'll get some answers~
Awesome first episode, too !!
wow gay
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:28 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1693
I coudlnt tell who's lying or not, lol... this is sick..

 
Jan 9, 2015 9:30 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 375
Hmm... It was a pretty solid opening. I think it's safe to assume it get's even better later on.

I felt it was a tad bit too fast... Things felt slightly accelerated. But, that didn't detract me frm enjoying the show much.

As for this first episode's story, I'm not sure whether the wife's guilty or not of cheating. I was almost certain she was innocent, but that one shot of a lady in bed with a stranger made me think twice. Hopefully, future episodes will reveal what kinda criteria is used to determine whether ppl are reincarnated or sent to the void.

Still a lot of mystery and it feels way too early to judge the series atm.
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 8057
When that guy started to slobber and cry i was a little annoyed but it was a pretty good episode.
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:36 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5252
We know she cheated via the flashback and due to the fact she didn't want to let him answer the phone. Strange thing for a wife to resist for.. bf and gf? Sure, but not a married couple. What I do think happened was that she was seeing someone else but decided to break it off. The story with her friends is just too coincidental, I mean machy? doctor husband? Yeah, no way is that just a chance happening, it probably did refer to her.

There might have also been some element of truth in her little rant at the end there, I do think she may have initially settled for him to be financially secure, but she eventually did love him and was ignoring/breaking ties with the outside guy.
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:49 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 96
Seeing that cheating whore get sent down to hell/the Void made me pretty happy, I admit.
 
Jan 9, 2015 9:59 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
koolvid said:
Smudy said:
My view on this would be that she lied to him for the sake of having him go to heaven. Decim sent her to hell cause his last moments were pure suffering cause of her lie.

Anyone who thinks she didn't cheat are they trying oi ignore this part of the episode or are they just blind? http://i.imgur.com/04gpXu4.jpg


I think she is mostly a good person; however, like everyone else, she has her flaws. One flaw is the fact that she cheated with another guy.

All of the other events seemed to imply that she loved her husband. She only hit his eyes because of the injury she sustained. All of her memories of him were cheerful. She tried to hit herself with the last dart to prove that she loves him however he grabs her at the last second and changes the trajectory of the dart. Finally, she was in pain when she witnessed her husband go through a mental break down from the thought that he killed his own kid and she wanted to reduce his suffering by lying. After all, what would you prefer, murdering your own child or murdering a bitch that cheated on you?

I think the flashback of her cheating with another guy should be interpreted in the following way. She remembers it not because she actually did cheat with other guys constantly, but rather because she cheated once or twice and she feels really guilty about it. In the end she decides to atone for her sin by lying and allowing her husband to be reborn.
 
Jan 9, 2015 10:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1524
lol... that OP. doesnt exactly match the overall mood

followed the similarly to the OVA, but hopefully from here it develops a little more and doesnt stay so rigid. Not sure if im going to like seeing a new pair of characters every week.

Still dunno if the angel/demon Noh masks determine Heaven/Hell at the end. It also doesnt specifically say that one person must go to each. Could possibly both go to Hell, but I doubt it.
 
Jan 9, 2015 10:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 606
Great first episode. Love how the whole purpose of the game was not to determine the "winner", but to reveal the dark side of both husband and wife when their lives are in danger.
Powerful eyebrows.
 
Jan 9, 2015 10:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 501
I don't think she cheated on him. In fact, I think that last flashback was a role reversal that showed that she was cheated on in a previous relationship; it mirrors the husband's flashback completely.

She saw the emotional torment her husband was going thru and told him what he wanted hear: that he didn't kill his own child, even tho he clearly did by accident.

If you remember the OVA, Decim already knows what occurred in the lives of the people in the bar; he already knew that the old man was a beastly pool player and would've won the game if everything went according to plan. Decim would only show shock if he was confronted with something that didn't fall in line with what he already knew. He knows that this was a good woman, and was shocked she suddenly starting acting as if some cruel woman.

He not shocked/moved by acts of human nature/instinct, such as drastic measures to win/survive, or actions taken once under extreme emotional stress, but he is affected by acts that define a person's true character.

Also, in Buddhism, life on earth is suppose to be the trial that judges whether a person goes to Heaven, or Hell, but here the husband got reincarnated (as what, we don't know), which implies he wasn't fit to be judged, and the wife went to the Void, which (following the shows Buddhist themes) is NOT the same place as Hell.

Things are not as simple/face value as most seem to believe.
 
Jan 9, 2015 10:46 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
it got me hooked right away. loved the op too. great start to a new season.
this anime reminds me of jigoku shoujo.
 
Top
Pages (16) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »