Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2015 4:21 PM

Sep 2011
Celestrial2 said:
she did cheat

Like I've said to other people who think she cheated, watch the episode again and pay attention to the finer details. You might change your mind. The cinematography and screenplay are amazing in this series.
Jan 11, 2015 5:11 PM

Mar 2012
Knowing married women in anime and their heroic sacrifices. i can safely assume that she didn't cheat. she probably said that just make takashi feel anger rather than guilt.
Jan 11, 2015 5:50 PM

Jan 2015
Epicenter said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

Okay, well you didn't answer a question of any kind, but, to me, it seemed like you were disagreeing with Torrible. If that is the case, I'm just pointing out that your own words prove him right, and, if you disagree, your post contradicts you.

I don't see it that way at all. The point of my post was that morals and ethics are based on human constructs, society has decided these things. He calls out the disdain for infidelity between married couples as if the importance of it is due to what we perceive as right and wrong forced down by society and he thinks that is "absurd", yet he seems to care for concepts of deadly sins and unforgivable crimes which too just like infidelity are concepts we create and care about. If we're going down the rabbit hole of disregarding things simply because its a societal concept, than this whole anime is pointless and so are his thoughts on deadly sins and crimes, we decide what are sins and crime just as much as we decide that infidelity between married couples is severe.

Ah, that's where you were getting at; he was the one contradicting himself. I agree then.

Regardless, even tho she did cheat on Takashi, he pushed her in that route emotionally by suddenly treating her like a stranger. She cheated at some point AFTER the wedding, not before, so the misconception could've still been fixed had he just confronted her earlier. She's pregnant, but suddenly now in relationship/marriage with man that seems to no longer love her....while I can't completely justify her act, I can understand why she succumbed to that moment of weakness (which she clearly regretted).

Why did he even go on with the marriage with such severe doubts anyway? I mean look how he began to treat her during the, when he thought that she was Matchie, before Machiko told him she didn't cheat. He probably went along with the wedding to put up a front; not get embarrassed.

Takashi's mix of pride, insecurity, jealousy and paranoia led to all of the misfortune that happened to them.
Jan 11, 2015 6:05 PM

Jan 2015
Satire said:
Torrible said:
Based on prevailing societal or religious opinion, you'll be right of course. I, however, find it absurb that a betrayal of trust is considered so much more severe just because 2 people put their names to a piece of paper. A boyfriend can cheat on a girlfriend and it's just cheating. Cheat on a spouse and suddenly it's a deadly sin or unforgiveable crime. Society and religion wants to tell me that cheating on a spouse you just married is substantially worse than betraying the trust of a friend you have known for ages because of some invisible and intangible sanctity about marriage. I just don't buy it.

Societal biases aside, companionship is something that every animal seeks, humans included. It can be for the sole sake of reproduction, or it can be for the sake of animals wanting to be with their own kind naturally. In the case of adultery, the problem lies in the fact that you're having an affair and have full knowledge about it. You're betraying the trust of another. You know it's wrong, but you've done it anyway. There's malice there. It's not an unforgivable crime, nor did I imply that it was, so I have no idea why you would pull that out of the blue. A boyfriend/girlfriend cheating is not as severe as a spouse cheating. Both aren't stellar scenarios, but you go through more steps to be married to someone and thus cheating on them is worse.

Torrible said:
Do you see the problem there? It's just words. How many of us had, in a moment of impulse, said something really hurtful to the ones we love but deep down we didn't really mean them. It'll be tragic if we were sent to hell based on that one moment of verbal cruelty. If Decim cannot read minds, then he just sent a woman to hell based on his own personal interpretation of her words. She could be lying to spite the husband. She could be lying to protect him. How would Decim know for certain? The lack of certainty is the injustice inherent in the system. Sure, our present justice system isn't perfect, but it is certainly a thousand times more robust when it comes to proving guilt.

He sent her to hell because she set herself up for that route. Her actions, in actuality, were kind. Although at face value it seems as if she says a lot of cruel things, they are not cruel. In fact, they're more of a blessing for the husband. Look at him. He's a broken person. He killed himself, his wife, and his unborn child. They both know it because they both saw the flashback. Now think about it. If it turned out that he caused their deaths and she was not cheating on him, the amount of guilt he would feel would be insurmountable. She gives him an out and relieves some of his guilt. Decim doesn't seem to know their past, because if he did, he would have sent the woman to be reincarnated. Decim judges them on what they say and do. The implications of what she said would have indirectly caused their deaths, which puts her at more fault than her husband.

Torrible said:
Bias my opinion? Maybe. But the fact remains that there are gender differences beyond physical strength: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_humans

Here it states that women abuse men differently than men abuse women, that women generally favor emotional abuse tactics compared to men: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2014/04/09/invisible-victims-when-men-are-abused/

Anecdotally, both online and IRL, I tend to notice women using snide and sarcasm more effortlessly, effectively and frequently compared to men. My guess is women, being physically weaker, often have to rely on language both as a shield and as a weapon. It's perhaps the reason why they tend to be more empathic, better at language and socially more aware than men.

Sure, there are differences. But none of which you cover in your original quote other than men being physically stronger biologically. Saying that women are more likely to use words is based on how they are supposed to act based on society's standards and their role(s) in it. Women are generally more passive and focus less on physical strength because of societal gender roles. Men, in our society, are supposed to be that role. If we were in a more natural, primitive state, let's say the caveman age, I'm certain things would not be the same.

Torrible said:
I disagree with how she would have been the indirect cause of their deaths. Until she admitted (truthfully or otherwise) to her infidelity, he had no way of being 100% sure. It could be that she really had a friend who married another doctor. It's not her fault that he was paranoid and would rather keep his suspicions to himself than be openly communicative. If he had just talked to her, she would either reveal the fact about her friend or lie about her. Either way, his suspicions would have been allayed and they would be still alive.

She does admit it... That's what her whole "cruel" speech was about. Whether she's telling the truth or not is up to the audience to decide. There's far more evidence to suggest that she was not cheating on him though. In case you didn't know, people tend to want to be right. The husband is obviously not thinking logically. If she says she cheated on him and never loved him, which he had been thinking since they got married, then why wouldn't he feel inclined to believe her? If she did in fact cheat on him, then his suspicions would have been justified. He would have been right to suspect her, and thus the weight of his actions are lessened by the fact that she was a terrible person all along and strung him along.

I agree with practically all of this. However, Decim does no about these people's lives; the OVA blatantly implies it, twice.

1) He knew the old man was going to win the game of pool, if everything went smoothly, because he knew the old man was a beastly, and champion, pool player.

2) In the series first ep, he protects Machiko from Takashi because he knew she was defenseless. In the OVA, he let the players fight it out, and is in fact unmoved by the fight; this implies that he knew that old man could defend himself.

This episode also implies it because NOTHING in the memories of Machiko made her look like a horrible woman, which is why he's shock when Machiko suddenly released and evil cackle. Meanwhile, he shows NO emotion in regards to Takashi's breakdowns, because it was expect givin the insecurity, jealousy, and paranoia he display in those memories.

Also, the Void isn't automatically a bad thing, and Reincarnation is either or, but in Buddhism is normally seen as a bad thing.
Jan 11, 2015 6:22 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, just awesome.
Lmao, the OP was funny, didn't expect that for this type of series.
Waited for this anime since Death Billard.
Definitely the anime of the season.
Decim is my fav character of this season so far.
Jan 11, 2015 6:28 PM

Jan 2011
this could turn out quite good!.
Jan 11, 2015 6:35 PM

Oct 2013
This episode blew my mind away! I really enjoyed it. Even if the rest of series doesn't get any better than this I'm already satisfied. Actually, more so! It made me decide to do a review about it. If anyone's interested, its only 2 minutes and would love to hear your thoughts! :)

Jan 11, 2015 6:52 PM

Sep 2008
Awesome. Been looking forward to seeing this ever since it was announced and it did not disappoint.

The OP is cool but feels like it doesn't fit the show.

Next episode looks to be really interesting too.
Jan 11, 2015 7:06 PM

Aug 2014
A really good concept and for the most part executed on it very well the two characters arcs were very good I would say however some of Takashi's reactions were to overplayed and his discovery of infidelity contrived when compared with the flow of the rest of the eps.

Apart from that the visual were great and the music was used well I especially like the ironic opening song.

As for Machiko cheating I think it's clear that she did cheat on her husband but only after he started acting differently after hearing the infidelity gossip there are several pointers to this the first being the flashback, those were not the memories of someone acting out a role they are very clearly the memories of someone in love however the flash back only applies to events including her getting pregnant before their marriage nothing after the wedding day is show which is significant .

Then there’s the fact that when Takashi mentioned that he had found out about her supposed betrayal he did not go into any details about the incident itself this is show when she is surprised when her friends nickname is mentioned she then gives an explanation that perfectly answers his doubts so much so that I don’t think that it could be a lie, even if she was a good liar she’s not physic but we also see that after the wedding day Takashi behaver changes dramatically.

As for her outburst I see it as half a truth as she said the man she loved was not him but the man he had acted as before his discovery this is not so subtlety show when we see her image of Takashi before the weeding flash over his screaming freak out. Then we get another flash back just before her outburst of her in bed with a another man checking his phone.

Her angry and spite got the better of her and she allows him to sink into the nightmare he seems so set on embracing she did love him at one point but not anymore
Overall a very good episode I’m look forward to what’s next.
ikramitJan 11, 2015 10:26 PM
Jan 11, 2015 7:57 PM

Sep 2013
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
Epicenter said:

Meh. Marriage is supposed to be by human standards an ultimate pact generally, hell even boyfriends and girlfriends can expect a certain level of loyalty in this world based on how society thinks. All morals, ethics and such things are based on societies beliefs and standards. If we're going to go in such a route of discussion this whole anime would be pointless because good, evil and all that are subjective. You seem to be trying to go into the direction that loyalty in relationships is some bs human construct demanded, but the same can be said about people expecting others not to kill people, rape kids and all the things we consider wrong.

" You seem to be trying to go into the direction that loyalty in relationships is some bs human construct demanded, but the same can be said about people expecting others not to kill people, rape kids and all the things we consider wrong."

" All morals, ethics and such things are based on societies beliefs and standards."

You answered your own question.

Sigh, I should have made it clear. That is purely my personal subjective opinion about marriage, a kind of rant to be exact. I'm definitely not using it as any kind of argument. This was what I said earlier:

"Are we supposed to believe that when told that they were being tested on whether they deserve heaven or hell, the couple continue to be antagonistic with each other? I'd assume that self-preservation should dictate that they at least pretend to be nice. Of course, one can argue that base emotions got the better of their more logical mind, but still, I find it hard to believe that they would continue to bicker about petty stuff when they were already dead and their eternal fate is at stake. "

Someone responded with how infidelity isn't petty and I went on a rant. What I should have said was arguing about infidelity seems petty when they were already dead and their eternal fates were at stake. Irrationality is part of being human yes, but once Decim told them about their possible fates, survival instinct (even on a spiritual level) should supersede whatever other petty emotions they were having.
Jan 11, 2015 8:23 PM

Jan 2015
ikramit said:
A really good concept and for the most part executed on it very well the two characters arcs were very good I would say however some of Takashi's reactions were to overplayed and his discovery of infidelity contrived when compared with the flow of the rest of the eps.

Apart from that the visual were great and the music was used well I especially like the ironic opening song.

As for Machiko cheating I think it's clear that she did cheat on her husband but only after he started acting differently after hearing the infidelity gossip there are several pointers to this the first being the flashback, those were not the memories of someone acting out a role they are very clearly the memories of someone in love however the flash back only applies to events including her getting pregnant before their marriage nothing after the wedding day is show which is significant .

Then there’s the fact that when Takashi mentioned that he had found out about her supposed betrayal he did not go into any details about the incident itself this is show when she is surprised when her friends nickname is mentioned she then gives an explanation that perfectly answers his doubts so much so that I don’t think that it could be a lie, even if she was a good liar she’s not physic but we also see that after the wedding day Takashi behaver changes dramatically.

As for her outburst I see it as half a truth as she said the man she loved was not him but the man he had acted as before his discovery this is not so subtlety show when we see her image of Takashi before the weeding flash over his screaming freak out. Then we get another flash back just before her outburst of her in bed with a another man checking his phone.

Her angry and spite got the better of her and she allows him to sink into the nightmare he seems so set on embracing she did love him at one point but not anymore
Overall a very good episode I’m look forward to what’s next.

You on point.
Jan 11, 2015 8:40 PM

Mar 2010
man that shit was heavy.
Jan 11, 2015 8:48 PM

Sep 2013
Satire said:

Societal biases aside, companionship is something that every animal seeks, humans included. It can be for the sole sake of reproduction, or it can be for the sake of animals wanting to be with their own kind naturally. In the case of adultery, the problem lies in the fact that you're having an affair and have full knowledge about it. You're betraying the trust of another. You know it's wrong, but you've done it anyway. There's malice there. It's not an unforgivable crime, nor did I imply that it was, so I have no idea why you would pull that out of the blue. A boyfriend/girlfriend cheating is not as severe as a spouse cheating. Both aren't stellar scenarios, but you go through more steps to be married to someone and thus cheating on them is worse.

I should have made it clear that it was a rant against marriage, not a rebuttal to you personally. What I should have said was arguing about infidelity seems petty when they were already dead and their eternal fates were at stake. Irrationality is part of being human yes, but once Decim told them about their possible fates, survival instinct (even on a spiritual level) should supersede whatever other petty emotions they were having. You are absolutely right. Knowingly getting into a marriage agreement and knowing what the consequences of spouse cheating is gives a person more moral onus to stay faithful. But still, the punishment that society doles out to spouse cheaters (like what happened to Tiger Woods) is excessive in my opinion. It's something about the sanctity of marriage that makes people pillory spouse cheaters with a fervor normally reserved for more violent crimes. It's the disproportion and unfairness of it that I was railing against. Again, purely subjective opinion.

Satire said:

He sent her to hell because she set herself up for that route. Her actions, in actuality, were kind. Although at face value it seems as if she says a lot of cruel things, they are not cruel. In fact, they're more of a blessing for the husband. Look at him. He's a broken person. He killed himself, his wife, and his unborn child. They both know it because they both saw the flashback. Now think about it. If it turned out that he caused their deaths and she was not cheating on him, the amount of guilt he would feel would be insurmountable. She gives him an out and relieves some of his guilt. Decim doesn't seem to know their past, because if he did, he would have sent the woman to be reincarnated. Decim judges them on what they say and do. The implications of what she said would have indirectly caused their deaths, which puts her at more fault than her husband.

"Decim judges them on what they say and do." That is the injustice of it.

In that scenatio, he doesn't question her motivation on why she lied. She could have lied for totally sadistic reasons. Or it could be for altruistic reasons. My point is, how would he know? If he didn't know, his judgment seemed to be patently unfair by default.

"The implications of what she said would have indirectly caused their deaths, which puts her at more fault than her husband."

Addressed below.

Satire said:

Sure, there are differences. But none of which you cover in your original quote other than men being physically stronger biologically. Saying that women are more likely to use words is based on how they are supposed to act based on society's standards and their role(s) in it. Women are generally more passive and focus less on physical strength because of societal gender roles. Men, in our society, are supposed to be that role. If we were in a more natural, primitive state, let's say the caveman age, I'm certain things would not be the same.

It's hard to explain this but I'll try. Evolution shapes us into who we are and how we behave. Babies who cry survive better than babies that don't. That's how the crying gene is proliferated down future generations. It doesn't matter that in the caveman age, babies didn't cry. By the same token, women who use fists to defend themselves in the past will not survive as well as women who use soothing words. That's how women are better at language and mind reading. That and how women are physically weaker meant that women would prefer a sharp tongue (better tool at their disposal) over fists, emotional abuse over physical abuse. Culture do play a role in shaping women in a certain way, but it's not as significant as biology itself when it comes to certain propensities.

Satire said:

She does admit it... That's what her whole "cruel" speech was about. Whether she's telling the truth or not is up to the audience to decide. There's far more evidence to suggest that she was not cheating on him though. In case you didn't know, people tend to want to be right. The husband is obviously not thinking logically. If she says she cheated on him and never loved him, which he had been thinking since they got married, then why wouldn't he feel inclined to believe her? If she did in fact cheat on him, then his suspicions would have been justified. He would have been right to suspect her, and thus the weight of his actions are lessened by the fact that she was a terrible person all along and strung him along.

I know there are many possible interpretations. I was responding to your initial quote that she indirectly caused their deaths. If she was faithful, then there was nothing she could have done to avoid her fate because he kept his suspicions to himself. If she wasn't, then you have a point, but still it doesn't absolve him from the greater blame. His paranoia isn't justified just because he turned out to be right by chance. The onus is still on him to clarify (I know it's not easy. Maybe hire a P.I?) one way or another because there's a chance he could be wrong.

Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

Decim does no about these people's lives; the OVA blatantly implies it, twice.

1) He knew the old man was going to win the game of pool, if everything went smoothly, because he knew the old man was a beastly, and champion, pool player.

2) In the series first ep, he protects Machiko from Takashi because he knew she was defenseless. In the OVA, he let the players fight it out, and is in fact unmoved by the fight; this implies that he knew that old man could defend himself.

This episode also implies it because NOTHING in the memories of Machiko made her look like a horrible woman, which is why he's shock when Machiko suddenly released and evil cackle. Meanwhile, he shows NO emotion in regards to Takashi's breakdowns, because it was expect givin the insecurity, jealousy, and paranoia he display in those memories.

Also, the Void isn't automatically a bad thing, and Reincarnation is either or, but in Buddhism is normally seen as a bad thing.

If he already knew about their character and background beforehand, then it would allay quite a few qualms I have about the arbitration system. It would certainly provide him with a stronger moral basis for judging them.
TorribleJan 11, 2015 9:12 PM
Jan 11, 2015 9:16 PM

Dec 2014
My initial thought was "this anime is going to be dark", but then the opening hit and it was so upbeat, so I was kind of expecting the episode to be like that, but I was stupidly wrong.

I can't wait for the second episode. This anime has an interesting concept.
Jan 11, 2015 9:46 PM

Sep 2011
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
I agree with practically all of this. However, Decim does no about these people's lives; the OVA blatantly implies it, twice.

1. Knowing the old man is likely to win the game does not imply he knows about his actual life. He could know who was likely to win, but it is not implied anywhere that he knew it because of the old man's past.
2. Incorrect. He protects the wife because the game was over, not because she's helpless. She cannot die in the bar anyway. She's already dead. He protects her out of principle. Once the game is over, it's over. In Billiards they fought during the game, which is allowed, much like how the husband was allowed to take her dart forcefully in episode 1.

If Decim knew their pasts, he would not have sent Machiko to the void. She was a far better person than her husband was. But he does send her to the void, which would imply that he does not know their past. It's pretty obvious that she lies when she goes off on her husband about not loving him, the child not being his, etc. If Decim knew their pasts, he would see she's lying and put two and two together. She would get the reincarnation door.
Jan 11, 2015 9:55 PM

Aug 2014
Oh, man. Definitely picking this up.

Well, when the matter that only one can survive and they both hold their fates in their hands was introduced, i just knew they would end up trying to kill eachother. A happy, perfect couple/friends suddenly faced with death, where you see that human compassion is only a facade and the instinct for self-preservation is above all - a very good cliche, i would say. However, seems like this couple was one of the better ones.

So, somehow it seems like there are alot of controversial opinions on the wife. I think it's pretty obvious that she sacrificed herself so that her husband would reincarnate and won't blame himself for killing their child for eternity. She could've just kept up the innocent act if she truly was bad. Not that having an affair automatically makes you a horrible person, but... i'm pretty sure she genuinely loved him.

So the Void is essentially nothingness? And reincarnation is living another life without memories of your previous one (Buddhism)? Interesting way to illustrate Hell and Heaven.

Decim visually reminds me so much of count Crutheo from Aldnoah.Zero...

5/5
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Jan 11, 2015 10:20 PM

Sep 2011
Torrible said:
I should have made it clear that it was a rant against marriage, not a rebuttal to you personally. What I should have said was arguing about infidelity seems petty when they were already dead and their eternal fates were at stake. Irrationality is part of being human yes, but once Decim told them about their possible fates, survival instinct (even on a spiritual level) should supersede whatever other petty emotions they were having. You are absolutely right. Knowingly getting into a marriage agreement and knowing what the consequences of spouse cheating is gives a person more moral onus to stay faithful. But still, the punishment that society doles out to spouse cheaters (like what happened to Tiger Woods) is excessive in my opinion. It's something about the sanctity of marriage that makes people pillory spouse cheaters with a fervor normally reserved for more violent crimes. It's the disproportion and unfairness of it that I was railing against. Again, purely subjective opinion.

The problem with Tiger Woods is that:
1. He's a well-known, professional sports player who is idolized because of his contributions to the game. He has a good image and should keep it that way because people look up to him. Him looking good and being an idolized, ideal guy means that it would also make his sponsors look good. Because Tiger engages in adultery, his image is tarnished. People thought he was a good guy, but it turns out that he isn't. That leaves a sour taste in peoples' mouths.
2. The scale of which Tiger Woods takes his adultery is far more severe than a normal case. If you recall, it was with multiple women and multiple times. The guy had a wife and children. It doesn't help that the women also ratted him out and let out some pretty embarrassing, personal things about Woods. He got what was coming to him.

In all honesty, cheating isn't treated with as much severity as you seem to be implying. Plenty of people forgive their significant other, despite it not being the smartest idea, even after they've cheated. Everyone makes mistakes, and to a certain extent, it's understandable for someone to maybe slip up.

Torrible said:
"Decim judges them on what they say and do." That is the injustice of it.

In that scenatio, he doesn't question her motivation on why she lied. She could have lied for totally sadistic reasons. Or it could be for altruistic reasons. My point is, how would he know? If he didn't know, his judgment seemed to be patently unfair by default.

I don't see the injustice, really. I don't think she deserves to go to the void, since she was a better person than her husband. However, she is the one who dug her own grave with the words that she said. Decim is the judge, but can't be 100% certain whether she's telling the truth or not. However, she confesses, or admits if you will, to the accusations her husband makes. It's like going to court under charges of murder and admitting to confessing that you did in fact murder the person. Regardless of whether you did or not, you've confessed. Those words carry a lot of weight. You can't take things like that back.

Torrible said:
It's hard to explain this but I'll try. Evolution shapes us into who we are and how we behave. Babies who cry survive better than babies that don't. That's how the crying gene is proliferated down future generations. It doesn't matter that in the caveman age, babies didn't cry. By the same token, women who use fists to defend themselves in the past will not survive as well as women who use soothing words. That's how women are better at language and mind reading. That and how women are physically weaker meant that women would prefer a sharp tongue (better tool at their disposal) over fists, emotional abuse over physical abuse. Culture do play a role in shaping women in a certain way, but it's not as significant as biology itself when it comes to certain propensities.

Babies who cry having a higher survival rate over babies that don't is a bad example. Haven't you ever read the scenario about the crying baby moral dilemma?
"It's war time, and you are hiding in a basement with several other people. The enemy soldiers are outside. Your baby starts to cry loudly, and if nothing is done the soldiers will find you and kill you, your baby, and everyone else in the basement. The only way to prevent this from happening is to cover your baby's mouth, but if you do this the baby will smother to death. Is it morally permissible to do this?"

In this case, it's not good that the baby is crying. But in any case, nearly all human babies cry because it's a natural occurrence for us as a species. Human babies rely on their mother for survival and crying gets the attention of the mother. That's just a biological feature of humans. Other animals have their own as well.

Torrible said:
I know there are many possible interpretations. I was responding to your initial quote that she indirectly caused their deaths. If she was faithful, then there was nothing she could have done to avoid her fate because he kept his suspicions to himself. If she wasn't, then you have a point, but still it doesn't absolve him from the greater blame. His paranoia isn't justified just because he turned out to be right by chance. The onus is still on him to clarify (I know it's not easy. Maybe hire a P.I?) one way or another because there's a chance he could be wrong.

You're basically proving exactly what I was saying. Let me clear something up, in case it's not clear. Indirectly causing their deaths means that she played an underlying role in how they died. Directly would be the actual act of the husband crashing the car and killing them.

The wife does play some part in causing their deaths. It's indirect, and the levels of it vary based on what you believe happened. If she was 100% innocent in the suspicions of adultery, she still has an indirect role for their deaths. She never noticed that he felt jealous and paranoid. Her not noticing her husband's suspicions and jealousy is a fault and does play a part in how they died, albeit a small one. If she had noticed, she could have possibly confronted the problem, their misunderstanding would be cleared up, and their deaths could have been avoided. On the flip side, if she did cheat on her husband, then she would have been the root cause for everything, making the husbands actions more warranted and justified than if she did not cheat. In either case, she shares some of the responsibility.
Jan 11, 2015 11:07 PM

Sep 2013
Good points about Tiger Wood. There are variables I did not consider, although I think you are underestimating the severity of cheating just a bit.

Satire said:

Babies who cry having a higher survival rate over babies that don't is a bad example. Haven't you ever read the scenario about the crying baby moral dilemma?
"It's war time, and you are hiding in a basement with several other people. The enemy soldiers are outside. Your baby starts to cry loudly, and if nothing is done the soldiers will find you and kill you, your baby, and everyone else in the basement. The only way to prevent this from happening is to cover your baby's mouth, but if you do this the baby will smother to death. Is it morally permissible to do this?"

In this case, it's not good that the baby is crying. But in any case, nearly all human babies cry because it's a natural occurrence for us as a species. Human babies rely on their mother for survival and crying gets the attention of the mother. That's just a biological feature of humans. Other animals have their own as well.

The fact that all babies cry is already sufficient proof that it is a evolutionarily conferred advantage. There are some traits that are useless from a evolutionary perspective. Crying is definitely not one of them. Evolution is a slow process. Merely a few thousand years ago (a blink of an eye in evolutionary terms), we were hunters and gatherers. Our genes have not much time to evolve since then, so modern wars or modernity in general have next to negligible effect on our current set of genes. In the past, we lived as small, close knitted tribes so the scenario you stated would not have been common. Anyway, crying is important. Mothers are evolved to soothe babies when they cry so it works both ways. Babies need to be touched, otherwise they will literally die.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/72120-effect-human-contact-newborn-babies/

It's a way for them to feel that the world is safe and their mothers can be relied on. Obviously the feeding part is important as well.

Satire said:

You're basically proving exactly what I was saying. Let me clear something up, in case it's not clear. Indirectly causing their deaths means that she played an underlying role in how they died. Directly would be the actual act of the husband crashing the car and killing them.

-snip-if she did cheat on her husband, then she would have been the root cause for everything, making the husbands actions more warranted and justified than if she did not cheat. In either case, she shares some of the responsibility.

I already agreed with you when I said you had a point.Technically, if she had indeed cheated, causing her friends to gossip about her in the restroom, she would have been indirectly causing her own death. The husband's paranoia still takes the larger share of the blame though (imo), but the causation part I agree.

Satire said:

If she was 100% innocent in the suspicions of adultery, she still has an indirect role for their deaths. She never noticed that he felt jealous and paranoid. Her not noticing her husband's suspicions and jealousy is a fault and does play a part in how they died, albeit a small one. If she had noticed, she could have possibly confronted the problem, their misunderstanding would be cleared up, and their deaths could have been avoided.

I don't think you can reasonably expect her to do that since she would have absolutely no idea any of his distress (if she had noticed) was due to her (since she didn't do anything wrong at that point). It's unreasonable to claim that she has to take partial responsibility for her own death simply for not soothing his distress that could have been due to anything.
TorribleJan 11, 2015 11:28 PM
Jan 11, 2015 11:51 PM

Dec 2009
im SOOOO glad they made this into a series!!! <3 <3 <3
Jan 12, 2015 12:03 AM

Sep 2011
Torrible said:
I think you are underestimating the severity of cheating just a bit.

Maybe.

Torrible said:
I don't think you can reasonably expect her to do that since she would have absolutely no idea any of his distress (if she had noticed) was due to her (since she didn't do anything wrong at that point). It's unreasonable to claim that she has to take partial responsibility for her own death simply for not soothing his distress that could have been due to anything.

When you're married and intimate with someone, there are certain things hints you should catch onto when something isn't quite right. There's no way he perfectly hid his jealousy and paranoia the whole entire time. She doesn't have to take responsibility. It doesn't change that she still holds some responsibility in the matter, however slight. This goes back to even before the wedding. She invited those two women who were gossiping. They were her friends. Why didn't she pick better people to surround herself with, let alone invite to her wedding?
Jan 12, 2015 12:06 AM

Jan 2015
Satire said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

1. Knowing the old man is likely to win the game does not imply he knows about his actual life. He could know who was likely to win, but it is not implied anywhere that he knew it because of the old man's past.
2. Incorrect. He protects the wife because the game was over, not because she's helpless. She cannot die in the bar anyway. She's already dead. He protects her out of principle. Once the game is over, it's over. In Billiards they fought during the game, which is allowed, much like how the husband was allowed to take her dart forcefully in episode 1.

If Decim knew their pasts, he would not have sent Machiko to the void. She was a far better person than her husband was. But he does send her to the void, which would imply that he does not know their past. It's pretty obvious that she lies when she goes off on her husband about not loving him, the child not being his, etc. If Decim knew their pasts, he would see she's lying and put two and two together. She would get the reincarnation door.

Dude....you completely ignored the fact that the Void =/= Hell, or a negative outcome at all.

1) Eh...I guess it's subjective, but we can agree to disagree.

2) I agree with this logic.
Jan 12, 2015 12:53 AM

Sep 2009
If I get this right, this a series with the recurring characters being the supporting ones, and episodic characters being the main ones for the episode. An unusual format.

Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

Dude....you completely ignored the fact that the Void =/= Hell, or a negative outcome at all.

The void implies that the soul will stop existing, which is a negative outcome, and is contrasted with the good outcome 'reincarnation'. Although some people do wish to completely disappear after they die.

Either way, it doesnt seem the woman deserved that outcome just for cheating or being after the money which is a normal thing in a society that sees women as a commodity. You know, the rich unattractive guy gets an attractive wife, she gets the money everybody is happy.
Jan 12, 2015 1:15 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Great animation. Unique OP. Really diggin' it. I hope it only gets better from here.

I still prefer the aspect of judgement bestowed by the viewer that Death Billiards had over this style in which at the end it is revealed which characters went where. It's nice, though, not really a complaint, but a preference on my part.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Jan 12, 2015 1:22 AM

Jun 2011
that was freaking amazing
this is going to be one of my faves this season
Jan 12, 2015 1:33 AM

Jan 2015
I guess the writers got what they wanted seeing such a long thread..

But after rewatching I am settling with these assumptions:
I think the whole Matchy story was true, that's why the wife was not lying when she explained the situation. Ironically she also couldn't fix her love life cause she cheated after the marriage and receives calls that she doesn't want her husband to witness. However, I think she loved her husband (the baby is probably his) and she wanted to lead a genuinely happy life with him (regretting her actions).

The guy seems to be the obsessive type and his doubts were eating him even on the wedding day. His suspicion is kinda maniacal and that's how the whole story ended up with them dying. But when he clears the suspicion i.e. believes that the child is his, he falls into despair and regret, not accepting that his behavior brought about such a result. Machiko's reaction is like a redemptive confession - she realizes that the man she loved has become twisted because of her (I have the feeling she starts to despise him after the game) and confesses her guilt in a spiteful manner to provoke him to punish her.

As for the ending.. I don't think we can make a clear judgement given that we don't even know what void and reincarnation mean exactly, maybe they'll explain next episode. But I have a new idea that the decision who goes where is not made on moral premises, hell, both characters have faults. Rather, their destination is decided by observing how their hearts settle after the game - whether they cling to life or accept death. Both in Death Billiards and here the character under the white mask seemed to have regrets that he wanted to fix in life, and the one under the Hannya mask seemed to have accepted the unchangeable reality of death.
Texts about Buddhist afterlife point that in the moment after death the decision between rebirth or nirvana depends on the soul's attachment to the world.
Jan 12, 2015 1:54 AM

Jan 2015
barabara said:
If I get this right, this a series with the recurring characters being the supporting ones, and episodic characters being the main ones for the episode. An unusual format.

Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

The void implies that the soul will stop existing, which is a negative outcome, and is contrasted with the good outcome 'reincarnation'. Although some people do wish to completely disappear after they die.

Either way, it doesnt seem the woman deserved that outcome just for cheating or being after the money which is a normal thing in a society that sees women as a commodity. You know, the rich unattractive guy gets an attractive wife, she gets the money everybody is happy.

Nope. Neither the Void or Reincarnation are definitively good, or bad. Reincarnation isn't a good thing when if you're brought back as a bug, or plant, to suffer in a second life; though you could get lucky, and be reborn as a human in a rich family lol. The Void is a l
barabara said:

Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

Nope. Do research first, as then you'd know that reincarnation is more so thought as a punishment (humans a lot of the times are not resurrected as a human again, but as bugs, animals, plants, etc.), or another trial, while the Void is essentially either eternal peace, or re-evaluation/meditation, or even enlightenment (honestly, there's too many interpretations lol).
Jan 12, 2015 4:05 AM

Jan 2009
after re-reading some of these posts, ppl here continue to believe machiko didn't cheat. she did cheat.

-the key evidence is the silver ring:
1. machiko sleeping with another man while wearing her silver ring on left hand
2. machiko & takashi both wearing silver rings during wedding in the credits

-she got her silver ring from her marriage with takashi & then she is shown sleeping with another man while still wearing that same silver ring. this confirms her affair.

-also, in the first photo where machiko sleeps with another man... there's no way that could be a previous relationship / marriage. people who remarry would definitely have different rings. why? because if someone whos currently married were to wear a ring from a previous marriage, that just shows that he/she haven't gotten over their previous lover. everytime he/she sees that ring from a previous marriage, that would cause pain cuz the marriage failed in the end.

-TL;DR: now that u know she cheated, everything else should fit properly
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 12, 2015 5:05 AM

May 2009
Some people say another proof that she lied about Matchy friend is that during credits name of her friend was shown and it if she married she would have her husband's name.
Jan 12, 2015 5:23 AM

Aug 2013
Good episode,it followed the pattern of the OVA not as good though in my opinion,it felt predictable at sometimes but nonetheless it was good.

It dosen't seem like an episodic series,judgining by the preview of the next episode,but if it is then I don't mind.
Jan 12, 2015 6:24 AM

Sep 2009
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

Nope. Neither the Void or Reincarnation are definitively good, or bad. Reincarnation isn't a good thing when if you're brought back as a bug, or plant, to suffer in a second life; though you could get lucky, and be reborn as a human in a rich family lol. The Void is a l

Nope. Do research first, as then you'd know that reincarnation is more so thought as a punishment (humans a lot of the times are not resurrected as a human again, but as bugs, animals, plants, etc.), or another trial, while the Void is essentially either eternal peace, or re-evaluation/meditation, or even enlightenment (honestly, there's too many interpretations lol).

I agree there's too many views, contrasting beliefs about reincarnation. Reincarnation doesnt necessarily mean punishment, either. The rule that humans can be reincarnated into something lesser such as animals or plants isnt found universally in all belief systems, it's mostly associated with Buddhism.

In a duality of reincarnation/enlightment, enlightment is the good outcome. However, Void =/= Enlightment. I understand that in context of this show, Void implies punishment since, ahem "cheating" happened. and the oni mask above the elevator door.
barabaraJan 12, 2015 6:49 AM
Jan 12, 2015 7:14 AM

Jan 2015
barabara said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

I agree there's too many views, contrasting beliefs about reincarnation. Reincarnation doesnt necessarily mean punishment, either.

In a duality of reincarnation/enlightment, enlightment is the good outcome. However, Void =/= Enlightment. I understand that in context of this show, Void implies punishment since, ahem "cheating" happened. and the oni mask above the elevator door.

Again, do your research:

1) Reincarnation is not related to Enlightenment at all. It's in fact the opposite; those who've not yet become worthy of being judged are sent back to Earth, for another trial of life, and, depending on the person, he/she could easily be brought back as anything but another human.

2) The Void is associated with nothingness, which, depending on interpretation IS relevant/related to enlightenment, or eternal peace, or reevaluation/meditation. A state of nothingness can be, and has been, interpreted as a good outcome.

3) In the context of the show, there is heavy influence of both Shinto and Buddhist culture; rather than the at face value, Christian views you (and others) keep comparing it to. In this show, following the Buddhist influences, Heaven, Hell, Void, and Reincarnation are all separate, individual results, also in Buddhism the concepts of Heaven/Hell are seen as temporary, and ever changing, rather than eternal (like in Christianity). Also, the "oni mask" is NOT an ONI/demon, but a Noh mask, a Hanya (look it up and see how it is exactly looks like the mask on the show) which has nothing to do the concepts of Heaven/Hell; it characterizes a woman, or person, experiencing sorrow and grief.
Jan 12, 2015 8:07 AM

Mar 2013
So, in the end, she did cheat on him but felt guilty about it since she realized that she loved Takeshi and deliberately confessed about it to to make her position worse and for Takeshi's sake... I maybe fully wrong tho. Aggggghhhhh this is making me all confused D:
Jan 12, 2015 8:29 AM

Sep 2009
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
barabara said:

I agree there's too many views, contrasting beliefs about reincarnation. Reincarnation doesnt necessarily mean punishment, either.

Again, do your research:

1) Reincarnation is not related to Enlightenment at all. It's in fact the opposite; those who've not yet become worthy of being judged are sent back to Earth, for another trial of life, and, depending on the person, he/she could easily be brought back as anything but another human.

2) The Void is associated with nothingness, which, depending on interpretation IS relevant/related to enlightenment, or eternal peace, or reevaluation/meditation. A state of nothingness can be, and has been, interpreted as a good outcome.

3) In the context of the show, there is heavy influence of both Shinto and Buddhist culture; rather than the at face value, Christian views you (and others) keep comparing it to. In this show, following the Buddhist influences, Heaven, Hell, Void, and Reincarnation are all separate, individual results, also in Buddhism the concepts of Heaven/Hell are seen as temporary, and ever changing, rather than eternal (like in Christianity). Also, the "oni mask" is NOT an ONI/demon, but a Noh mask, a Hanya (look it up and see how it is exactly looks like the mask on the show) which has nothing to do the concepts of Heaven/Hell; it characterizes a woman, or person, experiencing sorrow and grief.

1) This is exactly what I was saying. You're probably right that the show is using the Buddhist system, which is what I would guess as well. Hence, in a system with reincarnation/nirvana, reincarnation is seen as a negative outcome and there's a possibility to reincarnate into things other than human, based on the character of the person.

2) I don't understand where you're getting this association, there's no distinct concept of Void in Buddhism not that I know of. If you link Void with the concept of Nirvana (liberation of the cycle of reincarnation) then this makes sense.

3) Well, obviously, those 2 outcomes are unrelated to christian concepts of heaven/hell.

In this show, it is strongly implied that the outcomes are not equal, one is definitely good and the other one is bad, represented by smiling mask and frowning mask.
barabaraJan 12, 2015 8:55 AM
Jan 12, 2015 8:48 AM

Jan 2014
Sourire said:
anime of the season
Agreed, sir!
It fulfilled my expectations completely :)
Jan 12, 2015 8:52 AM

Oct 2013
Finally something that is actually good this season.....

very thought provoking
AppoXJan 12, 2015 9:01 AM
I am a human.
Jan 12, 2015 8:56 AM

Dec 2013
Wow, Madhouse really at it again. Madhouse doesn't age, it just gets better every year.
Jan 12, 2015 9:16 AM

Jun 2012
I hope we can get some "wait, I'm going to hell?" screaming and crying reactions. I loved Hellgirl for that.
Shoot first, think never.
Jan 12, 2015 9:25 AM

Oct 2013
Lena-K said:
As for the ending.. I don't think we can make a clear judgement given that we don't even know what void and reincarnation mean exactly, maybe they'll explain next episode. But I have a new idea that the decision who goes where is not made on moral premises, hell, both characters have faults. Rather, their destination is decided by observing how their hearts settle after the game - whether they cling to life or accept death. Both in Death Billiards and here the character under the white mask seemed to have regrets that he wanted to fix in life, and the one under the Hannya mask seemed to have accepted the unchangeable reality of death.
Texts about Buddhist afterlife point that in the moment after death the decision between rebirth or nirvana depends on the soul's attachment to the world.

I think this pretty much sums it up perfectly. Looking at it from a lens of "punishment" is probably flawed. It seems to be more about what each person needs, not what they deserve. Neither reincarnation nor hell (void) is necessarily a superior outcome to the other.

In any case, the intense debate going on in this thread is proof this episode was fantastic. Based Madhouse wins yet again.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 12, 2015 9:31 AM
Sep 2013
Void is positive outcome.
Reincarnation is negative outcome.
If they follow traditional religious point of
View
Jan 12, 2015 9:38 AM

Jan 2015
barabara said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

Again, do your research:

1) This is exactly what I was saying. You're probably right that the show is using the Buddhist system, which is what I would guess as well. Hence, in a system with reincarnation/nirvana, reincarnation is seen as a negative outcome and there's a possibility to reincarnate into things other than human, based on the character of the person.

2) I don't understand where you're getting this association, there's no distinct concept of Void in Buddhism not that I know of. If you link Void with the concept of Nirvana (liberation of the cycle of reincarnation) then this makes sense.

3) Well, obviously, those 2 outcomes are unrelated to christian concepts of heaven/hell.

In this show, it is strongly implied that the outcomes are not equal, one is definitely good and the other one is bad, represented by smiling mask and frowning mask.

1) We agree.

2) That's my point; it's liberation from the cycle, while at the same time being separate from hell. There is nothing good, or bad, about Sunyata/Void, where as Hell is the clear punishment....but even then, the concepts of Hell and Heaven are not truly eternal; merit, even in the afterlife, always allows for status to be changed amongst the three destinations. This is what happens when there's like 30 interpretations for everything in Buddhism XD.

3) We agree.

4) You still ignore the fact the two Noh masks, the white Deigan and the red Hanya, have nothing to do with the destination, but actually describe the mindset/status of the person.

Deigan- overcome by jealousy and/or grief, and is transitioning to becoming a beast
Hanya- overcome by jealousy, grudge, grief and/or sorrow, but *accepting of their fate as well as what they've become. (* my speculation based off the OVA and the first ep)

The masks don't signify where people go. In the OVA, the hostess saw the masks, but still didn't know who went where and when she asked Decim he responded that he can't say in his usual vagueness. It's clearly not that obvious.

Hopefully we'll find out about all the specifics towards the end.
Jan 12, 2015 9:48 AM

Jan 2014
Really good episode.

5/5

This series reminds me of Jigoku Shoujo.
Jan 12, 2015 9:57 AM

Dec 2013
Ok so I was confused by the opening and started losing hope on this being a serious dark/edgy series. But as the episode went on I was proven wrong.
Jan 12, 2015 11:41 AM

Nov 2012
All I've got to say is that I'm glad to have picked this up.
Jan 12, 2015 11:46 AM

Aug 2014
The concept is alright. The game and story, not so much. Good thing those change every episode.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 12, 2015 11:51 AM

Nov 2007
Damn that was awesome.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jan 12, 2015 11:55 AM
Dec 2013
don't get the hype it was ok
Jan 12, 2015 1:10 PM

Jul 2014
Omg I liked it *^* The soul of Takashi has been rencarned :3 This anime looks good
Jan 12, 2015 1:52 PM
Jan 2015
I wanted to believe that she didn't cheat, but this image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0c74ge216npqk0g/death%20parade%20ep1%20machiko%20wearing%20silver%20wedding%20ring%20%26%20sleeping%20with%20another%20man.png?dl=0

Just destroys everything. She's in bed with another man with her wedding ring still on.
Jan 12, 2015 2:03 PM
Jan 2015
Man, I don't know anymore.

I just watched the ending to the episode again and it seems like she really was in shock that he didn't believe the baby was theirs together. That implies that she didn't cheat.

I think the image i posted above was just a "what happened/Takashi wanted to see" to show her angered/shocked feelings to the audience.

Who knows........
Jan 12, 2015 2:42 PM

Jun 2009
Looking at all the evident in the episode we can assume
1. She did cheat, but from the look of the picture we got of it, it looks like it was created by the husband mistrust in thinking she was already cheating before the wedding. (assuming it wasn't a mental picture the husband created)
2. she wasn't lying about the friend who cheated, this is confirmed by 1 "I hear her husband is a doctor", considering that happen at the wedding, that sentence wouldn't make sense. 2 We also see in the ED the name tag of the girl the wife was talking about.
3. The confession was probably done by the wife, because she felt guilty about the time she cheated on him(or not cheated and just loved him), and thought his husband should feel better about having killed a lying whore and someones else baby, instead of his own child and a women who cheated, because of missing care(or didn't cheat at all) :-/

Now for the heaven or hell, well we can make the assumption that the bartender isn't all knowing, so the game is the way to figure out who is going where. From what he heard and saw it makes sense that the women would be send to hell, either because he believed she was telling the truth, or that is what she wanted. When we put it together with the information we have from the OVA, then we can assume void=bad and reincarnation=good, but I guess we wont know for certain until later in the show. This is based on the assumption the bartender not already know of their life history, which he might, considering it already is pretty weird people would need to end there, if they died at the same time. It is also an issue if both of them actually deserve hell, or if they deserve heaven.
Pages (17) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2015

521 by Seraschi »»
Apr 1, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

596 by oDaw1 »»
Mar 25, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2015

674 by Listone »»
Mar 24, 6:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.