Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 8, 2015 9:54 PM
Sep 2009
Like Iran and Portugal?
Jan 12, 2015 7:23 AM

Feb 2010
Well, more like Persia and Rome.

Today we know Persia as Iran. And while the Roman civilisation did fall; lusitinia, a part of it, would geographically be in modern day Portugal and Spain.
KaragahJan 17, 2015 6:56 AM
Jan 26, 2015 4:11 AM

Mar 2008
BiGnoize said:
And while the Roman civilisation did fall; lusitinia, a part of it, would geographically be in modern day Portugal and Spain.
While the name is correct, the in-story setting would make it seem as if Lusitania is the Byzantine Empire - the eastern offshoot of the Late Roman Empire. The rough geographical equivalent is modern day Turkey; centred on Constantinople, but at other times it often covered Greece, Bulgaria, and the Levant.
CkanJan 26, 2015 4:14 AM
Mar 15, 2015 11:28 PM

Jun 2009
Considering the following quote:

The country is burning. A prince born in a time of war, Arslan. The boy who had his kingdom destroyed in the invasion of another country follows a knight and embarks on a journey

I'd go for Byzantine Empire since it was finished when the Turks invaded Constantinople
Apr 19, 2015 1:07 PM

Oct 2010
as far as i can tell the story is loosely based on the Persian epic Amir Arsalan,
but i noticed that the double cross that the Lusitians have is quite similar to the eastern European tree of life/patriarchal cross, and the Pars armor look very similar to byzantine armor and their architecture is similar to what it would look like after Ottoman occupation, maybe the author took some inspiration from the Ottoman wars.
Apr 19, 2015 1:54 PM

Aug 2013
Apparently, the story is loosely based (I haven't read the Japanese novels so I don't know if it's based on anything but the name) on the romance (middle eastern) prose by Muhammad 'Ali Naqib al-Mamalik, albeit the tale may be older. The story is that Rum which were ruled by Turks was conquered by Patras (Europeans ,don't know which kind, maybe Greek). The previous ruler Malekshah is the same as Malik-Shah king of Sultanate of Rum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik_Shah_%28R%C3%BBm%29 .Arsalan is the successor of Rum's previous ruler who was killed by King of Patras. His mother escapes and brought to Cairo (Egypt) by a merchant. Bunch of stuff happens and Arsalan leaves Cairo before it gets attacked by the Europeans to get back his throne.

The setting in the story is outside of Iran and the hero is Turkish. Of course the tale is in Persian and written by a Persian, albeit it was an story told orally before it was written in late 19th century. Just like how Shakespeare wrote about Julius Ceasar it's not crazy for Iranians to have told and written a story about their fellow Muslims.

Now who's who in this adaptation of an adaptation which is based on a novel that took many liberties with the original story? Pars seem to be Persian and Lusitania (used to described Roman province in Iberia) so they are European. But don't think of them as copy pasted of ancient Portugal as they are not of the same religion, attire and other aspects. Lusitania are based of European Christian.
CyberNTApr 20, 2015 5:18 PM
Apr 20, 2015 6:59 PM

Oct 2009
If you look the name of the leader of Lusitania it will be quite clear that it was based off the Crusaders kingdom, reflected on their principle and intent and the hinted dialogue about the time they sacked cities of Maryam is on par with the sack of Constantinople (Maryam is the equivalent of the Byzantine Empire perhaps during the third or fourth crusade).

Pars is probably heavily adopted from ancient achaemenid Persian from their immortal shield and armor design and the Sassanian Empire from their extensive use of Cataphract, chainmails and pointy helmet.

If you also take account of the name of the millitary ranks then huge probability it is the Sassanid Empire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_Sasanian_Empire
azzuReApr 20, 2015 7:03 PM
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 22, 2015 3:38 PM

Aug 2013
Has a map been provided in the original novels or the manga yet?
Apr 22, 2015 11:03 PM

Mar 2008
StevenHu said:
Has a map been provided in the original novels or the manga yet?
Not sure about the manga, but here are some from the novel:

And this LQ one is from the OVA:
Apr 23, 2015 4:12 AM

Apr 2015
It is based on Shahnameh and Iranian history(before islam+after islam)
Pars=Persia

Arslan(No resemblance to real person)=Zal(white hair)+cyrus(anti-slavery,human right,before islam)+Arslan(after islam,Persianized Turk)
three famous heroes in Iranian history

Lusitania=Zoroastrian(Fire worshiper,persians) + Rome+Scythians(Iranian)

Daryun= Darius the Great

Vahriz=Parviz (Khosrow II)

Tahamenay=Tahmina

and other characters in Shahnameh ....

I'm Persian.
helenalee53Apr 23, 2015 4:35 AM
Apr 24, 2015 5:00 AM

Aug 2013
Wow. If someone told me that was a map of Persia perceived two thousand years ago, I would have believed it.
May 6, 2015 2:23 AM

Sep 2011
helenalee53 said:
Pars=Persia

Arslan(No resemblance to real person)=Zal(white hair)+cyrus(anti-slavery,human right,before islam)+Arslan(after islam,Persianized Turk)

Daryun= Darius the Great

Tahamenay=Tahmina

and other characters in Shahnameh ....

I'm Persian.

Wow, thanks for that. I had my doubts here and there, since I'm still not really good with Persian history and literature. That cleared some of the stuff that was bothering me. :) I'm studying Persian language and literature, but I'm still not at the level of recognizing the little pieces that they used in this. ^^

Also, is it just me, or did they use name Kijumars in the first episode? The Kijumars? :D

I hope this thread stays updated, it's really good. ^^
May 7, 2015 7:08 PM

Feb 2010
helenalee53 said:
I'm Persian.

Take all this with a grain of salt. The author has had no formal education in Persian history and his naming and everything are most likely just the result of a quick search into all things Persian. And so, the names are most likely a slightly changed version of random names chosen from different periods of history and different books and epics. And with Shahname being the most influential Epic created in the history of Persia, a lot is borrowed from it.

And so, just to try and stop the spread of false information, I'll try to add a few things to what you have said. so:

helenalee53 said:

As I said, this series borrows a lot from a lot of places. It is very loosely based on Persian history and the extent in which it has taken influence from Shahname is not known yet. But up until now it has been "not at all".
Also the period in which this is set is definitely before Islam and set at the end of the Sassanid Empire around 600 AC. As a matter of fact, If Lusitania is based on the Byzantine Empire, then it was because of this very war that the persian empire became weak enough and susceptible to the Arabic invasion.

helenalee53 said:

While the name is definitely taken from Amir Arsalan, this hero did not exist until after the Islamic conquest so none of the story is actually based on that specific epic. He is more likely based on Cyrus the Great as you have said.
I am still skeptical about Zaal.

helenalee53 said:

This is probably wrong. Lusitania is not based on Persia at all. First of all, they are not Zoroastrians.It has not been mentioned anywhere of them considering fire as holy.
Second (as a side note), Zoroastrianism was the world's first monotheistic religion, hence they did not worship fire. They worshiped Ahura Mazda and considered fire to be what is closest to his essence.
Third, Scythians existed only from 900 BC until 300 AC. They were Tribal and they did not have any wars with the Persian empire because they were too busy fighting among themselves. You seem to be Implying that Scythians were Iranians and Different to Persians. They were not. Iranian and Persian is the exact same thing. Their difference was only in their language which was slightly different.

helenalee53 said:
Daryun= Darius the Great

While possible, there is not enough evidence to support that they were based on these people.
May 8, 2015 1:26 AM

Apr 2015
It's too soon to know..but

BiGnoize said:

Also the period in which this is set is definitely before Islam and set at the end of the Sassanid Empire around 600 AC. As a matter of fact, If Lusitania is based on the Byzantine Empire, then it was because of this very war that the persian empire became weak enough and susceptible to the Arabic invasion...

While the name is definitely taken from Amir Arsalan, this hero did not exist until after the Islamic conquest so none of the story is actually based on that specific epic. He is more likely based on Cyrus the Great as you have said.
I am still skeptical about Zaal.

It is probably the result of a combination of stories about several different individuals

BiGnoize said:
This is probably wrong. Lusitania is not based on Persia at all. First of all, they are not Zoroastrians.It has not been mentioned anywhere of them considering fire as holy.
Second (as a side note), Zoroastrianism was the world's first monotheistic religion, hence they did not worship fire. They worshiped Ahura Mazda and considered fire to be what is closest to his essence.

Zoroastrian,mithras and yaldabaoth.. Keep searching, and you will find ;)
however Zoroastrians don't kill people for the sake of their religion!

BiGnoize said:
You seem to be Implying that Scythians were Iranians and Different to Persians. They were not. Iranian and Persian is the exact same thing. Their difference was only in their language which was slightly different.

I never say that

BiGnoize said:
While possible, there is not enough evidence to support that they were based on these people.

Dārā(in Firdowsi's book) or Dārāyān(Epic of Kārnamag,a Middle Persian epic) reflect the name Darius..i pretty sure about it :D
Vahriz..I was a little confused at first but now it makes sense.. he's not Khosrow Parviz.
the name is definitely taken from Vahriz.he was the commander of the Sasanians(Conquest of the Yemen)

ToruWatanabe said:
Wow, thanks for that. I had my doubts here and there, since I'm still not really good with Persian history and literature. That cleared some of the stuff that was bothering me. :) I'm studying Persian language and literature, but I'm still not at the level of recognizing the little pieces that they used in this. ^^

Also, is it just me, or did they use name Kijumars in the first episode? The Kijumars? :D

I hope this thread stays updated, it's really good. ^^

you're welcome :)
helenalee53May 8, 2015 10:23 AM
May 10, 2015 1:18 PM
Feb 2014
Slightly off topic, but only just realized the name Lusitania is the same name as the planet of the Piggies in the Ender's saga xp...

Then again, it's also, according to wikipedia: an ancient Roman province in western Hispania (or Iberia), corresponding to most of modern Portugal

Or also the name of what was once one of the largest passenger ships in the world RMS Lusitania that was sunk by a German U-boat in WW1...

Yeah, that's all...
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
May 31, 2015 3:01 PM
May 2015
Duri1n said:
Then again, it's also, according to wikipedia: an ancient Roman province in western Hispania (or Iberia), corresponding to most of modern Portugal

yeah but this is the interesting part :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconquista

the story has most of the aspects of what happened there
May 31, 2015 8:58 PM
May 2015
C'mon, guys, it really obvious that the two kingdoms were a representation of the crusades, where Pars represents the turks who were trying to capture the holy city of Jerusalem while the Lusitanias are the representation of the Christians crusaders.
Sep 29, 2015 4:31 AM
Mar 2013
I’m a bit late, I was waiting for it to finish in order to marathon it.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Caucasian Iberia, as a possible inspiration for Lusitania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharasmanes_I_of_Iberia

Maryam could be the Kingdom of Albania ruled by the House of Mihran or Mehrān

With Arslan and co being more Parthian than Persian inspired. With their capital in Arthophane and all that. Also, most names are of northerly places.

But yhea it is no place in particular. So far it does not seem very close to the Quajar story of the same name.

this guy could be an inspiration for silver mask
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vologases_III_of_Parthia

helenalee53 said:
Arslan(No resemblance to real person)=Zal(white hair).

I thought Narsus was better fit for Zal, with him living in Sistan and being the wisest of them all.

helenalee53 said:

Zoroastrian,mithras and yaldabaoth.. Keep searching, and you will find ;)
however Zoroastrians don't kill people for the sake of their religion!

Yhea Yaldabaoth sounds a lot like Yalda-bog,"the god of the solstice", Mithra/Jesus, and fits with Lusitania being Caucasian Iberia.

patosSep 29, 2015 6:27 AM
Oct 26, 2015 1:14 PM
Oct 2015
Further evidence pointing towards Persia/Parthia or a mix of both:
1. Fort Peshawar. This place actually exists as a city in Pakistan, near the border to India. Thats roughly where the border to the Persian Empire was, and India is obviously Sindhura.
2. Ecbatana. The summer capital of the Persian Empire.
3. The 'continental Highway'. Is a reference to the persians Royal Road,
which ran the length of the empire from west to east. Later used as a silk trade route with China.
Dec 3, 2015 10:43 AM
Dec 2014
The Lusitanians and their religion are based from both Islam and Christianity... The way the Lusitanians conquered Pars is similar to the way the arabs conquered Persia and their garb is a reference to the crusaders. Also the way the Lusitanians conquered or sacked Maryam was similar to the way the crusaders sacked Constantinople as the Maryams also followed the same religion as the Lusitanians.
Dec 12, 2015 12:05 PM

Mar 2012
cshin9 said:
Like Iran and Portugal?

Exactly. If you know Portuguese history, there is a venerated king who started his reign at the young age of 14 years old, he disappeared in the battle called The Battle of Alcácer Quibir and after that a myth that he would later appear in the future in a misty day was created. He was called Sebastião.

Sounds kinda familiar right?
Mar 15, 2016 7:01 AM

Mar 2016
It's based on Persia and its history.
I will give you a few examples.
Persepolis (the capital of Persia/Pars) was captured by the enemy and the library was burned (I believe this was in episode 11, where the enemy burnt the library which contained thousands of books and history. )

Arslan is based off Cyrus the great.
Cyrus the great didn't become loyalty until the age of 10, as he was predicted to go against his father. His father was a militant, and a man of power; Cyrus was a man of peace, yet strong. Therefore, he was given away to be killed, however his mother didn't allow it. Thereby he was given to a civilian until the age of 10 where he learnt of his true heritage and was sent to the capital to become a loyalty.

When his father went to war, he lost due to betrayal and was captured but not killed. Cyrus the great, assembled an army and took the capital back, therefore, he was a king before the death of his father. Cyrus banned slavery 2500 years ago, upon becoming king and made the biggest empire of the world.

Pars is the capital of trading. Persia was the capital of trading, right in the middle east.

India can be seen in episode 19, whereby they pledge alliance to Persia/ Pars.

Persia had the most powerful army-- the Achaemenid army.

There are many, many examples, however, I am quite tired to list them all.
All in all, it's based on Persia.

Also, many say that it was based on the Persian epic; I have read the epic in Persian many times. The story has the very little resemblance, only due to its name people are comparing it to the epic, which is not necessarily correct.
The one aspect of the Persian epic and the anime is that Arslan may or may not fall in love with his enemy. Which was actually quite common-- women of other nations marrying Persian kings.
SoberRufusMar 15, 2016 7:06 AM
Dec 31, 2016 11:52 AM
Sep 2011
Pars is Ahamenich Empire
Turk is Nomadic Turks
Turan is Scythian Turks
Maryam is Israel
Lusitania is Byzantine
Sindhra is India
Apr 14, 2018 9:50 AM
Apr 2018
I saw it as the war between Armenia and Turkey because Arslan is the Turkish word for Lion. It's just a thought.
May 20, 2020 5:45 AM
May 2020
hey everyone. i am not a fan, anyway but I am sure you guys may have enjoyed it. i am not talking about the storyline, but the world of Arslan. as an Iranian, i can not communicate with the characters well, cos, you know, there is little connection both in matter of story and characters to iranian culture and legendary characters. i looked at the map and analyzed the story a bit. the names are usually fictional with no or little reference to Iran. there are many mistakes also in the geographical worlds, some of them stupid. characters names are also sometimes off the point. story-wise there are mistakes also, such as Iran and fighting with christians, or Iranians practicing slavery, or having idols as gods. they are historically wrong. it is not reliable as having any relation to Pars or Persians, and it seems it is a very very loose adaptation of Iranian Legends. mostly gone in the wrong direction. overalls, I think the creator's goal was to make a story with a mysterious, unkown atmosphere so he chose Paes. and It seems they have done very little research about Pars and the neighboring countries and cultures.
story might be good but, not believable for an Iranian at allllll.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

102 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 4, 5:03 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

84 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 1, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2015

118 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 24, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2015

109 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 11, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2015

115 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 9, 1:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.