Forum Settings
Forums
New
Cel or Digital Animation?
Jan 7, 2015 9:37 PM

Mar 2012
Do you prefer Cel or Digital Animation? What are your reasons behind your decision?

I personally prefer Cel. I openly admit my preference for older Anime and I believe Cel Animation has an amazing charm to it. I feel digital loses a lot of the details and I love the sketches of old. I admit digital has a cleaner look to it, but I think there is something to be said about a slightly rougher look.

I will admit that digital animation makes for some gorgeous backgrounds and environments. SAO's world is something that really highlights digital's capabilities for me.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 7, 2015 9:45 PM

Jul 2012
Can we have a peaceful discussion without calling people faggots?
Thanks.

OT: I prefer digital. I also prefer digital art, too.
Jan 7, 2015 9:45 PM

Nov 2012
why not both?
Jan 7, 2015 9:48 PM

Dec 2014
Personally, despite that Dig animation is taking more way from the older one, but hand-drawn animation still conserves some charm and adavantages. For example in photography, more people are plescibited by film camears. According to some opinions, Cel animation got their unique style of drawing and a more realistic and darker color palette.

Also,the modern are crticized as "artifical" such lack of background's depth

ghoullovesharemJan 7, 2015 9:56 PM
Jan 7, 2015 9:48 PM

Nov 2011
mayukachan said:
Can we have a peaceful discussion without calling people faggots?
Thanks.

OT: I prefer digital. I also prefer digital art, too.
Its a rule of thumb that we can't.

Anyway I prefer Cell because the rougher look gives it more personality IMO. I don't like it when characters look like their color was filled in using a bucket on windows paint. Basically cleaner look generally means less detailed which is bad. Art over shiny things I say.
Jan 7, 2015 9:49 PM

Jan 2008
What ever has less CGI.
Jan 7, 2015 9:49 PM

Dec 2013
Digital animation and art all the way, it's cleaner and it can produce images and environments cel just can't do. Feel free to call me a corporate bastard
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 7, 2015 9:50 PM

Nov 2011
silverwalls said:
why not both?
I once asked why can't we have both 2d and 3d animated movies in America but I never got an answer.
Jan 7, 2015 9:51 PM

Nov 2011
PriestSlayer said:
Digital animation and art all the way, it's cleaner and it can produce images and environments cel just can't do. Feel free to call me a corporate bastard
I don't need your permission to call you a corporate bastard I can do so on my own free will.
Jan 7, 2015 9:51 PM

Aug 2013
silverwalls said:
why not both?
+1 I like Cel for being dark and gritty and for the realistic character designs and I like digital for being super bright and colorful.
Jan 7, 2015 9:54 PM

Mar 2012
silverwalls said:
why not both?

Not saying you can't like both. The poll is asking which you prefer more. It's not an issue of absolutely loving one over the other. For me it was an easy choice, but I'm sure for others it will take some thought.
Jan 7, 2015 10:19 PM

Nov 2014
I like both, but I have a soft spot for the aesthetic feel of cel animation.

Sleeping Beauty is a good example of the potential of cel animation. Take note of the motion of the clothes, hair, mouth-to-dialog sync, etc in the clip below. There's a LOT going on in each frame. An incredible amount of skill went into making this, and it was all done with ink and paint back in the 1950s.

Aside from Akira, there are few animes today, if any, that come close to matching this level of detail and fluidity. But it's not like digital animation can't outdo cel animation. It seems like anime studios just don't have the time or money to invest.
Jan 7, 2015 10:24 PM

Jan 2009
i prefer digital or CGI animation this days, CGI is not only meant for 3D animation anwyay, look at how good Fate/Zero and Fate Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks of ufotable, they look like instagram images that are pleasing in the eyes

plus CGI is the future anyway, its much easier to produce and it will only get better and cheaper as its technology progress further
Jan 7, 2015 10:27 PM

Nov 2011
j0x said:
i prefer digital or CGI animation this days, CGI is not only meant for 3D animation anwyay, look at how good Fate/Zero and Fate Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks of ufotable, they look like instagram images that are pleasing in the eyes

plus CGI is the future anyway, its much easier to produce and it will only get better and cheaper as its technology progress further
Just because its the future doesn't mean its an improvement.
Jan 7, 2015 10:29 PM

Jan 2009
DragonQuest3 said:
j0x said:

i bet CGI animation can copy the rough effect that Cel animation does though the only reason they do not do that is because people like the cleaner look of CGI animation
Jan 7, 2015 10:34 PM

Sep 2013
j0x said:
DragonQuest3 said:

i bet CGI animation can copy the rough effect that Cel animation does though the only reason they do not do that is because people like the cleaner look of CGI animation

Haha, they should start releasing these 80s editions of popular series so those longing for the rougher times could enjoy their anime too.
Jan 7, 2015 10:35 PM

Nov 2011
j0x said:
DragonQuest3 said:

Most people are sheep though so why should I care what they think.
Jan 7, 2015 10:42 PM

Jan 2009
DragonQuest3 said:
j0x said:

well that latest reply of yours do not dispute anything about CGI though, whats wrong with CGI?

CGI animation has a lot of benefits to the production of anime this days, because its generated from computers you can have an undo and redo feature that will save a lot of time and meet production deadlines easily, and like i mention CGI can copy the old visual effects or visual look of Cel animation too

so how about Cel animation what benefits or improvements does it bring now a days?
Jan 7, 2015 10:50 PM

Nov 2011
j0x said:
DragonQuest3 said:

well that latest reply of yours do not dispute anything about CGI though, whats wrong with CGI?

CGI animation has a lot of benefits to the production of anime this days, because its generated from computers you can have an undo and redo feature that will save a lot of time and meet production deadlines easily, and like i mention CGI can copy the old visual effects or visual look of Cel animation too

so how about Cel animation what benefits or improvements does it bring now a days?

I thought it was clear I was kidding. I just gave Gankutsuou a 9/10 and loved its art which made with heavy use of CGI. Actually if they used CGI to replicate the Cel style and give it the same charm then I'm all for that. That said when it comes to live action movies the digital look seems to hurt Cinemotagraphy somehow.
Jan 7, 2015 10:52 PM

Aug 2013
CGI if it is high quality (movie budget CGI) can look really good but if it is low quality and mixed with 2D then it looks really shitty.

Jan 7, 2015 10:55 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
CGI if it is high quality (movie budget CGI) can look really good but if it is low quality and mixed with 2D then it looks really shitty.

Which is that supposed to be?
Jan 7, 2015 10:56 PM

Aug 2013
DragonQuest3 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

High quality (movie budget).
Jan 7, 2015 10:58 PM

Jun 2014
Cel art/animation is definitely the best. Most Digital art/animation looks like shit, and uses horrible color choices, like "Grey Skin."

Jan 7, 2015 11:09 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
DragonQuest3 said:

Oh OK I thought you were saying the other way around and was a bit confused lol. Just my opinion I thought that was an interesting flick and enjoyed the use of pacing in it. Felt fairly fresh.
Jan 7, 2015 11:20 PM

Aug 2013
DragonQuest3 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Oh OK I thought you were saying the other way around and was a bit confused lol. Just my opinion I thought that was an interesting flick and enjoyed the use of pacing in it. Felt fairly fresh.
I guess the pic could be confusing should have used another one. It's one of my favorite animated movies.
Jan 7, 2015 11:23 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
DragonQuest3 said:

I guess the pic could be confusing should have used another one. It's one of my favorite animated movies.

Oh it wasn't the pic just they way you said it that low quality 3d mixed with 2d can look really bad and the pic had 2d mixed with 3d lol.
Jan 7, 2015 11:36 PM

Aug 2013
DragonQuest3 said:
Oh it wasn't the pic just they way you said it that low quality 3d mixed with 2d can look really bad and the pic had 2d mixed with 3d lol.
Yeah I realized that.
Jan 7, 2015 11:42 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
DragonQuest3 said:
Yeah I realized that.
Well now everyone who enters this page will be forced to enjoy this pics majesty :P
Jan 8, 2015 9:54 AM

Jun 2014
I think you have a wider range of things you can do with digital animation but I like the drawing aspect of Cel; mostly because I find it harder to draw using a mouse. I would like digital animation more if I could have more control over things like I would with Cel, I like to draw things by hand but with most graphic tablets I have to look away from what I'm doing with my hand and look at a computer screen, though there are LCD tablets but I don't want to break the bank and they may not work the way I want them to.

Honestly I'm kind of torn on this topic.
Jan 8, 2015 10:02 AM

May 2014
CGI is kinda overrated really, i remember watching season 1 and 2 of bleach (traditional animation) and i found it really nice, it kinda gives anime that vintage look which is nice (in my opinion) ... but certainly not all anime can be done that way, because not all anime can survive without bloated graphics :3
Jan 8, 2015 10:27 AM

Apr 2012
Is Cel basically handdrawn?

I prefer the look older anime have, the high budget ones at least. The new designs are just too clean, altough I think they could replicate the Cel look if they just tried.

I think Steamboy mixed both and it looks absolutely gorgeous and there is also no discrepancy. I might be wrong tough.
Jan 8, 2015 11:01 AM

Mar 2014
I like both, but.. Ufotables stuff is really stunning, also K ad Kotonoha no niwa..
baki502 said:
I think Steamboy mixed both and it looks absolutely gorgeous and there is also no discrepancy. I might be wrong tough.
I'll have to watch this...

JamisHayha13 said:
I like to draw things by hand but with most graphic tablets I have to look away from what I'm doing with my hand and look at a computer screen, though there are LCD tablets but I don't want to break the bank and they may not work the way I want them to.
Keep looking at the screen while drawing on the tablet and you'll get used to it / it should be like drawing on paper with the mouse representing the pen, you shouldn't have to glance at the tablet
Jan 8, 2015 11:08 AM

Apr 2012
izna said:
I like both, but.. Ufotables stuff is really stunning, also K ad Kotonoha no niwa..
baki502 said:
I'll have to watch this...

Since you mentioned Ufotable tough, its not shiny. But absolutely gorgous. As long as you dont expect it to be shiny, the artstyle is more on the realistic side.
Jan 8, 2015 11:58 AM

Jan 2014
Honestly, I have no preference. Cel can be really good for detail if the artists wanted it but CGI animation is amazing.
Jan 8, 2015 12:01 PM

Dec 2013
DragonQuest3 said:
PriestSlayer said:
I don't need your permission to call you a corporate bastard I can do so on my own free will.
Of course you can...now that i allowed it.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 8, 2015 12:07 PM

Dec 2013
silverwalls said:
why not both?

That would be too reasonable. Shame on you.
Feel free to message me to chat.
Jan 8, 2015 12:11 PM

Aug 2014
Ufotable is amazing. They use digital to the greatest effect with lighting effects and light use of CGI (in kara no kyoukai anyway I think CGI wasn't used that effectively in UBW but I guess it is tv). I like both, some scenes in end of eva looked amazing. wasn't hellsing ultimate all hand drawn?

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jan 8, 2015 12:13 PM

Aug 2014
Digitial if I had to choose. Nothing inherently wrong with cel animation though.
Jan 8, 2015 12:33 PM

Jun 2007
That's like comparing scissors with a knife. Both have their strengths and their weaknesses.
Jan 8, 2015 12:41 PM

Nov 2011
Shibuza said:
That's like comparing scissors with a knife. Both have their strengths and their weaknesses.
Scissors and its not even close.
Jan 8, 2015 12:51 PM

Nov 2014
I think most people, including those who prefer 3D or digital animation, could appreciate the talent of a good cel animator.

It blows my mind whenever I think about how much cel animators were (are) able to accomplish with just a pencil, drawing board, and spreadsheet, without the aid of render farms or thousands of dollars worth of software.

Here's a photo of one of my favorite animators / animation directors late in his career, Frank Thomas, working on a scene from Robin Hood. He co-authored an "animation bible" that explains how to study and implement different movements that animators to this day still use.
aikaflipJan 9, 2015 6:55 AM
Jan 8, 2015 1:36 PM
Sep 2014
Explenation of CEL?
I guess it's the old style of anime.
that is what you mean?
Jan 8, 2015 1:43 PM

Aug 2014
Where they draw everything with hand.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jan 8, 2015 1:44 PM

Jul 2012
JohnnyBme said:
Explenation of CEL?
that is what you mean?

It's traditional animation.
Jan 8, 2015 1:49 PM

May 2014
Cell VS. Goku is the best fight, i don't know who this "digital dude is!!!
Jan 8, 2015 2:33 PM

Nov 2014
JohnnyBme said:
Explenation of CEL?
that is what you mean?

"Cel" is short for celluloid. Hand drawn animation is usually first sketched on paper. These sketches are later inked onto transparent celluloid sheets, painted, and placed frame by frame and photographed on the background art. Many anime studios today like Studio Ghibli still use similar techniques, but they use digital paint and compositing.

aikaflipJan 8, 2015 2:44 PM
Jan 8, 2015 2:37 PM

May 2013
Digital. It can do so much that Cel cannot, and done much quicker too actually.
Jan 8, 2015 2:46 PM

Feb 2010
Digital remasters of old cel animation works are the best.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 8, 2015 2:56 PM

Jun 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Digital remasters of old cel animation works are the best.

As long as they don't use too much DNR.

Jan 8, 2015 3:30 PM

Dec 2013
No real preference either way, it both kinda depends on the animation budget, artstyle and creativity how good they look. If i had to pick one i'd go with cel, there's just something charming about it.

aikaflip said:
JohnnyBme said:
Explenation of CEL?
that is what you mean?

"Cel" is short for celluloid. Hand drawn animation is usually first sketched on paper. These sketches are later inked onto transparent celluloid sheets, painted, and placed frame by frame and photographed on the background art. Many anime studios today like Studio Ghibli still use similar techniques, but they use digital paint and compositing.

did Ghibli still use cel animation for the Wind Rises?
I remember reading somewhere that they stopped after Mononoke, might be completely wrong though.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - 1 hour ago

17 by Adnash »»
2 minutes ago

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - 47 minutes ago

3 by Rhaelynne »»
10 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

18 by IpreferEcchi »»
38 minutes ago

» Frieren fans, let's settle for the best couple

epsilono - 2 hours ago

7 by Kushna »»
45 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

74 by MitsukiHimeka »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.