Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Jan 7, 2015 12:25 AM

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to another season of anime and the first season of the new year!

Shows featured this season- http://anichart.net/winter

This season should be called the season of harems because there is just so many of them and hopefully at least a couple will end up being decent. I think all the anime studios were like ohh shit, High School DXD is coming back in the spring, I don't want to compete with that so let's put it the season before it XD.

So one major flaw of last seasons thread was that it became just about me and my reviews of anime flooding the thread, so I've been thinking of ways to incorporate more of the other members of this club to feel more of a role in the thread without breaking the open discussion. So I've come up with the idea of having Role Titles. Something that you feel is different from the other major contributors of this thread that other members who might attain to read the thread will expect from you. I want this seasons thread to be about us as a community, as a guild. The Anime Guild =). So I guess it would make sense for me to be the Harem King as I check out mostly every anime with the tag harem or ecchi but will also rip into it if it's complete shit XD. So every Harem must face trial in the Harem King's Court of Sir Lord Duke Hibbington! Wa Ha Ha Ha!

l [B]Role Titles[/b] l
* Hibbington- [B]"The Harem King"[/B]
* Fellener-"Ambassador Hatred"
* Suno_Kaji-"Leftover Queen"
Modified by Hibbington, Jan 18, 2015 12:56 PM

Jan 7, 2015 12:59 AM

So now we got the heading post out of the way, let's get into my first impression of my first show of the season

Absolute Duo: Episode 1 Review

Some might consider this a standard harem beginning but with what transpired during the opening ceremony really intrigued me and it's those type of inconsistencies that you look for to break the cliche's of anime. Julie fits my liking of girls in harem so i'm already invested into Julie. I really felt entertained by the first episode and have high hopes that it will provide more than just fan-service, where there was only like 2 moments that really stood out as fan-service in the first episode.

Jan 7, 2015 9:16 AM

I'm checking only 3 titles this season, the number of harem and moe stuff makes me lose interest in almost everything. xD Maybe i'll drop the no drop rule because i'm kinda curious to see how some shows i'll fail hard. xD I'll check out Yuri Kuma Arashi, Death Parade (both because of the psychological stuff they can present) and JoJo's because is the most enjoyable thing i've watched recently and you tought i was gonna say poses but it was me DIO. If i actually watch some stuff just do drop then, i can have the title "Hate Master". xD

Yuri Kuma Arashi 1/12

Yuri Kuma was very weird. It was definitely more "in your face" the symbolism than in other works of the author, perhaps because the themes are much more accepted and discussed today than in the epoch that Utena was done, perhaps also because Utena had more themes. I seriously cant judge at all where this is gonna get, it has a presentation so much different than most stuff that making predictions about anything is kinda dub. The only thing that kinda failed was with the characters, thre wasnt enough interactions between then and they felt really dull. Not exceeded my expectations but by no means failed.
Remember guys, I AM NOT A PARAGON OF TASTE.

I HAVE SHIT TASTE LIKE THE REST OF YOU.

Jan 7, 2015 1:21 PM

i never knew about this site but its "sugoi"

thanks :D and as for winter anime, idk doesnt seem like too much is in it for me and ive yet to finish the first season of tokyo ghoul so...

(spring looks better though)

Jan 7, 2015 6:03 PM

Fellener said:
If i actually watch some stuff just do drop then, i can have the title "Hate Master". xD

If you really want to be known as the "Master of Hate", then to his their own XD.
How about Ambassador Hatred?

[color=aqua]Shinmai Maou no Testament Episode 1 Review[/color]

So they went for the surprise factor with their first episode because the first half was just all over the place. I was just getting a bunch of kiss x sis vibes. Then we get into the real story of DEMON LORDS, because we need a new demon lord every 2 seasons it seems >.>. After seeing the first episode i think this show is most likely going to be rushed. I'll give it a few more episodes to see if i'll say it's "droppable".

Jan 8, 2015 1:00 AM

I will watch only 4 new animes this season, two of them being a sequel: Durarara 2nd season, Kuroko no Basket 3rd Season, Sengoku Musou and Yoru no Yatterman; The rest being leftovers (Akatsuki no Yona, World Trigger, Magic Kaito 1412, Kiseijuu and Log Horizon).
So... I will watch more leftovers than new shows and since you started to discuss some of them in the last thread I would like to continue in this thread as well.
So maybe you could call me "Miss Leftover" or something like that. xD

Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu - 13/24
Kiseijuu never fails to entertain me. Episode 12 felt like a cut but episode 13 felt like a real shift to me (like the first 12 episodes [which were great] being nothing more than the basement). The atmosphere and the struggle of the main characters were delivered pretty good. I guess some people will get a little depressed as well, seing how everything's working out.
In fact, I'm glad I didn't read the manga yet and I, although we are just halfway through the anime, recommend you to watch the anime when it's finished, 'cause when you watch one episode you don't want to wait another week.

Jan 8, 2015 4:59 PM

Since i'm watching Kiseijuu i'll post my toughts on it, maybe they can create a nice discussion since they are different than yours, Suno. xD

Kiseijuu 13/24

I actually didnt liked this episode that much, it showed more struggles but we already knew about it and i tought it didnt added that much to the point it was trying to make It felt really slow too, i think it felt that way because the side characters appeared a lot in this episode, and for me they are kinda week. But where do you think the series is going to? 11 episodes to go, its going to end with Shinichi struggles being resolved of they are gonna show something more "global"?
Modified by Fellener, Jan 8, 2015 5:02 PM

Jan 9, 2015 12:07 AM

So i'm just going to go ahead and keep the gimmick going with the role titles, if you want to change it, feel free to give a shout out =p.

[B]Shirobako Episode 13 Review[/B]

I can't express how much i adore this show for what it provides, it's not for everyone, but it gives you more appreciation for anime studios. What I'm going to love about this second arc is that when the series started we were already thrown into them already in the production of making the show, but now were seeing all the prep work that happens before they even start on the first episode. My only complaint right now is two of the five girls have not gotten much development yet. That needs to change.

[B]Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 1 Review[/b]

We all know that this is an anime original season, so it's getting a lot of hate for that but it's written and probably eagle eyed by Ishida. I have to say...that i have never been...this hyped from an episode one before.

That opening though...needs to be fixed...like by episode two. It was gawd awful >.>.

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Episode 0 Review

So this is technically a special...before the actual show. Kinda weird but i'm loving the characters. Sayuri Yahagi and Ai Kayano are a pretty powerful duo for the girl voices. My biggest hype for this show is that the main character has Glasses, YES! YES! YES! So there really isn't much left to say about this as it's a special but it does a really good job at getting you hyped for the actual show, so in a market standpoint it gets a 10 out of 10, as a special i've give it a 9 out of 10.
Modified by Hibbington, Jan 9, 2015 12:14 AM

Jan 9, 2015 6:40 AM

@Hibbington: I'm perfectly fine with being the "Leftover Queen". Thanks :D

Fellener said:

Kiseijuu 13/24

I actually didnt liked this episode that much, it showed more struggles but we already knew about it and i tought it didnt added that much to the point it was trying to make It felt really slow too, i think it felt that way because the side characters appeared a lot in this episode, and for me they are kinda week. But where do you think the series is going to? 11 episodes to go, its going to end with Shinichi struggles being resolved of they are gonna show something more "global"?

You're right, that episode was slow. But I think that was exactly the right thing, considering what happend during episode 12. If the series would have rushed right to the next big problem all the events of episode 12 would have been meaningless. The struggle felt right at that point.
But yeah... where is this going to? Good question. I hope Shinichi will get over it, but I doubt it. Especially if I consider his love interest (I just forgot her name). It feels like it's part of their relationship.
I can't explain it that good, but I think it won't stop anytime soon.
But I do think that it will become more "global" with all the politicans appearing lately and their research. But I'm starting to ask myself how Shinichi and Migi are going to handle this. I mean, they can't just kill a few important politicans to get rid of the whole problem.

Akatsuki no Yona - 13/?
I really don't know where this one's going. While the first episodes were mainly about flashbacks I kinda scaled down my expectation.And I still have low expectations. The show is progressing slowly, the main character's developement feels like it will take ages and the scenes where they are trying to add some comedy are just... well, in my opinion they don't belong there.
I hope this anime will become a little bit better, because it has sounded promising.
Modified by Suno_Kaji, Jan 9, 2015 9:36 AM

Jan 9, 2015 10:29 AM

Suno_Kaji said:

Akatsuki no Yona - 13/?
I really don't know where this one's going. While the first episodes were mainly about flashbacks I kinda scaled down my expectation.And I still have low expectations. The show is progressing slowly, the main character's developement feels like it will take ages and the scenes where they are trying to add some comedy are just... well, in my opinion they don't belong there.
I hope this anime will become a little bit better, because it has sounded promising.

Well for one, it's clearly a reverse-harem(which was made by a woman) so there's going to be some comedy between the "childhood best friend" Hak and the horde of dragon dudes XD.

As for the pacing, yes it's slow but there hasn't been any deviating from that since the beginning. Personally I am always in favor of slow pacing compared to rush pacing because at least with slow pacing were able to absorb in the entire story of Yona, the former princess on the run, needing to find allies to avenge her father by finding secret dragon villages that haven't been called upon in hundreds of years. Not the easiest task.

Finally if I look at all 3 of my leftovers for this season, they all have two things in common(Akatsuki no Yona, Shirobako, and Log Horizon). They are all slow paced shows and they are all 8+ out of 10 ratings for me currently. The formula works for me.
Modified by Hibbington, Jan 9, 2015 10:33 AM

Jan 9, 2015 10:45 AM

Absolute Duo 1

Pretty mediocre first episode. Music was poor, animation was average, story thus far had almost zero interesting points in it besides "lel action scene XD" and the obvious harem building(yes, I know this is the main plot choice). I'll give it 3 episodes before dropping.

Kentai Collection 1

Very much enjoyed it all the way through. Akagi-senpai is definitely my favorite character (mostly because archers+planes are fucking great). Anime was a bit above average but I doubt that will hold through. Story was fun and lighthearted when it needed to be, when the battle started it knocked it up a notch. Music could have been choosen better but it fits the scenes. Overall a good first episode
Modified by Speakss, Jan 9, 2015 11:11 AM

Jan 10, 2015 11:25 AM

Death Parade 1/12

Death Parade, i liked the episode alot, til i watch the post ED scene. They showed things that are tottaly unnecessary and that just breaks the "magic" death billiards had, at least for me. If they go and add a whole backstory about the place and the workers i think it will go downhill. If they just stay with episodic games, gonna be awsome till the end.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season 1/?

Manly man doing manly things in manly ways with manly poses, ridiculous over the top and self aware action. Not as good as the second arc but is still the most enjoyable experience you can have. xD

Log Horizon 2 14/25

So, introduction to the mysterious girl, was a fun episode. The only problem i have is her boobs, seriously, its so weird to look at it. And it looks like the size changes, sometimes id actually okey and fits the character, sometimes just wtf? The series slowed a lot in these alst two episodes, they looked kinda like filler and the next one is looking that way too. Not that is bad, it still a really good show to watch, but i just want more story, cause i really loved the first arc.

Jan 10, 2015 10:25 PM

[B]Log Horizon Season 2: Episode 14 Review[/B]

So finally the founder of the tea party has arrived, how she is able to get from the China server to the Japanese "apocoplse sever", idk, but i'll let that plot-hole slide for now.

A response to fellener about the show slowing down. It's really not.
The next arc seems to consist of all the members of the debauchery tea party having a "reunion" and Plant Hwyaden seems pretty tough to fight. I'm guessing she will have a major impact on that war. Thus you need an introduction episode...i agree with those boobs though. They must be very wide...

Now what is interesting is, not all 10 members of the 10 seat council seem to favor Indicus. So it will be interesting to see if there is any defections to the Round Table side.

Death Parade Episode 1 Review

First of all, what is up with that opening...I think this show likes to mind fuck the mind fuck because i thought this show was going to be a comedy or something after watching that but no it's a show that is hopefully going to mind fuck the hell out of you. That is what i want from it but i disagree with fellener about not having a back story about the place and the workers because then there isn't going to be any character progression in the show and were just going to be left with isolated incidents/death games. Without any substance but for you to get mind fucked into seeing who is being reincarnated or stuck in the void.

Jan 10, 2015 10:46 PM

I agree with you in the LH stuff, its just that after the last arc ended i was so fired up that seeing this build up to the next arc felt kinda boring to me. They could've introduced all this war is just one episode. And that valentines day episode didnt really added that much info. This is just a minor personal problem that i have with the show in general, slowing down and builduing up quickly. It comes from the LN nature of the adaption, so yeah, it happens.

About Death Parade.

I'm watching Death Parade to see more Death Billiards, and Death Billiards its NOT about the workers or the place they are playing, they are about the players. All you need to know about the bartender is that he is the judge all you need to know about place its that it works like a purgatory. The more you know about it, the less the players playing the game are important, they become secondary. They can add a backstory and more characters to it, and it can work and might be a really good story but i dont know. I feel cheated. :c

Jan 10, 2015 11:10 PM

Fellener said:

I'm watching Death Parade to see more Death Billiards, and Death Billiards its NOT about the workers or the place they are playing, they are about the players. All you need to know about the bartender is that he is the judge all you need to know about place its that it works like a purgatory. The more you know about it, the less the players playing the game are important, they become secondary. They can add a backstory and more characters to it, and it can work and might be a really good story but i dont know. I feel cheated. :c

Well if the games become secondary, shame on them.
But to only be about isolated games without something tying the show together makes it linear, there isn't any plot lines. Just isolated judgements.

I understand that you want more Death Billards, and you'll get more games with all the hoopla that comes with it =p, but it's not a special anymore it's a full-blown show and sooner or later mysteries have to solved and depending on how they get to that point shows the talent of the writing, and thus you have a conclusion.

Jan 11, 2015 10:41 PM

Death Parade 1
Hibbington said:
Fellener said:

Well if the games become secondary, shame on them.
But to only be about isolated games without something tying the show together makes it linear, there isn't any plot lines. Just isolated judgements.

I understand that you want more Death Billards, and you'll get more games with all the hoopla that comes with it =p, but it's not a special anymore it's a full-blown show and sooner or later mysteries have to solved and depending on how they get to that point shows the talent of the writing, and thus you have a conclusion.

Basically what Hibbing stated. If they make the games secondary you might as well drop the show because that's what Billiards was about. However, without change they will just make 12 episodes of seeing judgements, which would make at least me drop the show because it's just a rinse&repeat of the same crap. Having a little background on the bartender and other characters involved would make it more interesting.

What I want to know is "Who" is control the judgement? Is it suppose to be this Crowd that sits in the seats or is that just man-icons to add effect? If it is a particular someone that decides I'd be interested in seeing how exactly they decide their choices. "Good" and "Evil" are very subjigated terms and thus judging someone by those terms would be very poor writing.

Log Horizon 14
Decent episode. My personal enjoyment of the episode was about average but I felt like it lasted longer than most (maybe because it's focusing on new characters, that they now have to flush out and make interesting?).

Fellener said:
The only problem i have is her boobs, seriously, its so weird to look at it. And it looks like the size changes, sometimes id actually okey and fits the character, sometimes just wtf?

LOL, I know! I thought when they first showed her, "Wtf? They're way to big. How does she even manage to fight?

Hibbington said:
So finally the founder of the tea party has arrived, how she is able to get from the China server to the Japanese "apocoplse sever", idk, but i'll let that plot-hole slide for now.

Lets just say it's... MAGIC. No, kidding. I have no idea how that actually will ever work but we'll see if they can fix that major plot hole

Jan 11, 2015 11:07 PM

About the Log Horizon thing, why you guys think its a plot hole? Its just different servers, like we have different servers in MMOS for each region, but when the apocalipse happened each server became its respective part of the world.

Jan 11, 2015 11:15 PM

Fellener said:
About the Log Horizon thing, why you guys think its a plot hole? Its just different servers, like we have different servers in MMOS for each region, but when the apocalipse happened each server became its respective part of the world.

I may be wrong, and I am quite often, but I believe they stated that only the Japanese servers were apart of the Apocolipse. Maybe what Kanami means when she talks about the Novasphere is the same as the apocolypse just a different title?

Jan 11, 2015 11:22 PM

I dont remember that. But if they said it, maybe Shiroe tought it because they were the firsts to enter the game and as time passes it happened to the rest of the world because of different time zoles and release hours, as they said in the episode.

Jan 12, 2015 4:57 AM

Despite being the "Leftover Queen" I thought about writing about "Kuroko no Basket 3". Maybe somebody is interested in sports anime and would like to join me. :)

Kuroko no Basket 3rd Season - 1/?
The third seasin of Kuroko no Basket finally started airing. If you've watched the first two seasons just recently, you can skip the first half of the episode since it is a kind of recap. I did, and it really didn't hurt.
The second half jumps right into the story and it's getting interesting right from the start. We are introduced to the first "enemy" quite fast and to be honest: quite brutal. So... the pacing is just as fast as it was the last seasons between two matches as we are entering the next match at the end of the episode.
Well.... I'm quite curious about how many episodes this season will have. Knowing the manga I doubt it will be possible to feature everything that will happen from now on. I hope they are not trying to rush through it, it would be a shame.
But... we will see. ;)

Jan 13, 2015 12:23 PM

Absolute Duo Episode 2 Review

This is really looking like to be the best Harem of the season so far as they aren't over-doing the fan-service and actually had some pretty strong romance elements in this episode between the "absolute duo". Now Harems have a history of doing really well in the beginning of the season, than ruining it with too much fan-service in the end so I really hope that they concentrate on the story and less on the boobs, because that's the main reason why people dislike the genre.

Witch Craft Works OVA

So I don't understand why everyone always hates on the OVA when there is tons of fan-service and cliche moments because THIS IS WHERE IT SHOULD BE. Your not going to get rid of fan-service as long as we guys stay horny or...girls too -.^. I just laugh when people hate on fan-service and then i see them have a fan-service oriented pillow or fan-service oriented figures XD.

Getting to this actual episode, it wasn't a fan-service OVA per-say. Only if your a girl that "really" likes your brother. Is it a problem that I'm actually getting use to these incest storyline's in anime? I remember when i watched Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai and just getting completely speechless at the ending. Now it's just like ohh more Kiss X sis stuff, ...okay.

It was a very funny OVA though, using two of the best supporting characters of the series. Also Kutos for the pro-wrestling match. So as an OVA this is a 8 out of 10, if it was an episode in the actually show, a 5 out of 10. OVAs are different and should be treated different.

[color=LightSeaGreen]Sengoku Musou 1 Episode Review[/color]

This was much better than expected. They over did it on introducing characters but I'm guessing in their mind set, this show was for KOEI fans of the video game series and they would know the characters. I have not played this series but I did play Dynasty Warriors 5-8 and in the first part of the game all 3 factions are together to destroy LuBu so if they did a show on dynasty warriors it would be the same thing. So i will not fault them for that. What i will fault them for is the budget on the fighting scenes seemed a bit low-budget and I'm not sure if KOEI helped fund this anime but that's going to be an ongoing issue with this show. Looking forward to some "history" lessons though.

Seiken Tsukai no World Break Episode 1 Review

As the Harem King or Duke of Dereland, I felt obligated to at least watch the first couple episodes of this show...though knowing that it was going to lead to my biggest grip in these type of anime. Pink haired tsunderes >.<, I don't know why but for some reason the most annoying tsunderes have pink haired. I like that the powers are like past down through reincarnation but that's the only real thing that's interesting about this show so far.

Jan 13, 2015 1:44 PM

Well its another season and another crop of anime to be delivered to the masses. I'm going to be checking out 15 anime this season well at least until episode 3 where I may drop ten. There is also the 9 ongoing anime from the previous season which will also be obscene at the end of the this season so I may wait on a few XD. Without further rambling...might as well start off this with some ongoing.

Gundam: G no Reconguista 15/?

What is there to say about this series? It's confusing at times due to the pace of dialogue and the odd amount of forgettable details intermixed with the surprisingly bad small talk. The characters still lack a certain amount of depth to this confusion, yet are getting more fleshed out in this episode especially since one of the characters begins to talk more. It is finally moving out into space which falls into the themes of Gundam about Earth and Space. The backpack add-ons to the Gundam G-Self is certainly getting up to the insanity of Gundam Seed Destiny standards and is just an eyesore on screen. The pacing of the episode tries to return to the pacing of the original Gundam while still adding its own odd flair of being laid back in the time of war making for some laugh out loud moments.

Junketsu no Maria 1/?

I have to say this one surprised me a bit. I expect it to go downhill from here, but so far the characters are entertaining and can support depth and the setting works beautifully for whatever it is they are trying to do. I can't see any overarching story so far, but I expect to see it shortly, probably in an episode or two.

Aldnoah.Zero Second Season 1/?

Everything that I didn't want to happen in this season has already happened. With this being a sequel to the first, it certainly hasn't given the viewer any bit of charm the original gave. I'm excited to see more of what Slaine can deliver to the story, but the Terran side is probably just going to keep going downhill from here.

Sengoku Musou 1/12

This game adaptation is a lot like one that falls in the same genre. Sengoku Basara has been doing well for itself and Sengoku Musou probably believes it could do as well. Unfortunately for me I've watched Sengoku Basara and this just is executed a little bit worse than the other. With the lacklustre character designs and a lot of characters that will just fade to the background. I'm hoping it sets itself apart from its video game like the original Sengoku Basara seasons and not end up as badly as Judge End where the game dictates the pace.

Death Parade 1/12

Death Billiards the series, Death Parade tries to bring back what we originally loved about the short and in episode one it delivered just that. A wonderful death game of darts that involves a couple this time giving a fantastic performance voice acting wise. It was another great episode in the Death Billiards death game-esque tales, but this series seems to be heading into the backstory behind the Queen Decim and its staff. Will this be bad? Potentially depending on how it limits the episodic nature people desire from this series, but who knows it could turn it around.

Jan 13, 2015 10:11 PM

Koufuku Graffiti 1

Oh, my! What a wonderfully made first episode! Probably the most fun I've had with a first episode in a long time. If the show keeps this pace and fun up will definitely be my personal aots. OP is good, ED is better. The extra scenes after the ED are jsut as cute as the show. The "food sex" is pretty hiliarious, and in Kirin's words "sexyy!"

Someone pick this up so I can talk about it with you, plox.

Jan 15, 2015 8:41 PM

KanColle is retarded. Just saying. Sure, it's still fun, but retarded nonetheless. Not watching anything else for now from this season.

Jan 16, 2015 10:32 AM

ftFate said:
KanColle is retarded. Just saying. Sure, it's still fun, but retarded nonetheless. Not watching anything else for now from this season.

I see you're a hater of all anime like usual, fate.

Jan 16, 2015 10:34 AM

I said it was fun, that's not hating!

Jan 16, 2015 10:35 AM

I felt a tinge of hate in your post.. thus, hatred!!

Also, watch Moe Food with me. I wanna talk about food

Jan 16, 2015 10:41 AM

Sure thing. I'll watch it later tonight. Was planning to watch it anyways.

Jan 16, 2015 1:16 PM

Aldnoah.Zero 2nd Season - 1
Well, that was a weak first episode. I feel kind of cheated by last season's finale now. Not saying that the show is doomed or anything, but it just felt cheap.

Durarara!!x2 Shou - 1
As expected of Durarara, I have no idea where the story is going x) As far as I'm concerned, the hype is still there. Not sure what they did to Isaya's face though :/

Kancolle - 1
If nothing else, the action was fun and cool. Yes, it hardly makes sense, but not all things need to.

Koufuku Graffiti - 1
In the "cute girls doing cute things" department, that episode certainly didn't disappoint. The lack of head tilts made me forget it was made by SHAFT x)

Kuroko no Basket 3rd Season - 1
Nothing to say that wasn't already mentionned by Suno. I'll add that I am quite disappointed, though not surprised, that we're apparently having the same composer as the previous season, as KnB Season 2 is one of the rare shows where the soundtrack actually bothered me.

Jan 16, 2015 1:25 PM

So i watched 5 episodes last night but it was 4 A.M. when i finished, so I was bombed. I might not do a full review on all 5 but some quick-bits on a few.

[B]Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 2 Review[/b]

So the hate for the original anime series is still strong in the forums part of MAL, I was hoping that it would start dying down as the first episode was awesome. Now everyone is considering the show boring in the forums, which i disagree with as there was a lot of set up for the members of CCG. Without set-up you can't have any pay-off so everyone just seems to be finding any way to bash this show at this point even though the same author worked on this season 2 personally.

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Episode 1 Review

So we got to the "real" first episode, ...where there wasn't any fanservice at all surprisingly. The story itself is pretty standard, the only thing right now that I feel stand out is the dialogue between each character is great. We have two popular girls who have secret lives that can only express their secret lives with an 2D-only otaku, who they treat like shit. BUT HE WEAR'S GLASSES!!! So on that point alone i'm watching it to the end =p.

[color=aqua]Shinmai Maou no Testament Episode 2 Review[/color]

So this episode was probably 5 times better than the first episode. Nothing out of the ordinary for a harem but a good building atmosphere episode. It's definitely getting my attention back. Yuuichi Nakamura is voicing the main character, so that the most appeal part of the show so far.

QUICK BITS
Shirobako- Damn dem casting politics >.<
Akatsuki no Yona- That moonlight scene was the most beautiful scene of the show thus far.

Jan 16, 2015 1:30 PM

Hibbington said:

Why would you choose that text color x) (Or perhaps my colorblindness is the only one who finds it unreadable without selecting it.

Jan 16, 2015 2:31 PM

ftFate said:
Hibbington said:

Why would you choose that text color x) (Or perhaps my colorblindness is the only one who finds it unreadable without selecting it.

http://myanimelist.net/character/110633/Yuki_Nonaka

Hair.

Jan 16, 2015 10:59 PM

thanna said:
Koufuku Graffiti - 1
In the "cute girls doing cute things" department, that episode certainly didn't disappoint. The lack of head tilts made me forget it was made by SHAFT x)

haha, I know! No head titles kinda through me for a loop but I prefered it as a fresh "no head title" anime.

Jan 17, 2015 10:04 AM

Log Horizon 15/25

Even though the next few episodes will center around more character building of our minor characters which is good in it's own right. I just can't help but really want it to finish this small arc quickly because I want the big showdown between Shiroe and Plant Hwayden to come faster. It feels like that under-arching plot feels way more important and these little mini arcs are stretching it out a bit. All in all this episode was actually pretty fun but felt like a filler, an enjoyable one at that though. Also, hyped for Shiroe number 2. xD

Death Parade 2/12

So... I liked the episode for what it was, i just dont expect anything that could be better than Billiards now. Accepted is gonna be different and well, i enjoyed the episode had some problems with the story here and there but well, it happens. Still, it looks like a wasted potential but i dont think i'll ever get bored watching it.

Kiseijuu

Really good episode as always, showing more about the parasytes and all that stuff. I think now that they are really not gonna go into more global detail and just play it with more psychological problems and just end up with Shinichi struggles, i would like to see more "world building" actually, but i'm happy with the way they are choosing to go.

As for JoJo's, its still the same and it'll prob be till it ends, wich is awsome and if everything else fails, i'll be happy with JoJo's. And Yuri Kuma i think i'm the only one watching it. If anyone want to discuss the symbolic stuff and meanings i'll gladly post my interpretations on it. :p

Jan 17, 2015 11:20 PM

[B]Log Horizon Season 2: Episode 15 Review[/B]

Fellener said:
Log Horizon 15/25

Even though the next few episodes will center around more character building of our minor characters which is good in it's own right. I just can't help but really want it to finish this small arc quickly because I want the big showdown between Shiroe and Plant Hwayden to come faster.

I understand your issue your having, it's one of the same issues I'm having as well where this season is more slice of life esc. Maybe not in the anime guild but I am noted for saying in other places on the MAL site that i believe that this series might end up being over 100 episodes by the end of it and by the pacing it seems more and more likely. I can't really complain much about it though as my only complaint about the first season was there was just too many characters that there wasn't enough development for all of them and even though we've seen some characters disappear this season like Krusty and Michitaka. Some side characters are gaining good arcs and some reaching satisfying conclusions like William Mass and Demi. It's all a give and take thing but they really do need to get more hype back into the series if there goal is to continue the show in a third season. Having a lower level raid with the younger members of Log Horizon might just do that.

Death Parade Episode 2 Review

[quote=FellenerDeath Parade 2/12

So... I liked the episode for what it was, i just dont expect anything that could be better than Billiards now. Accepted is gonna be different and well, i enjoyed the episode had some problems with the story here and there but well, it happens. Still, it looks like a wasted potential but i dont think i'll ever get bored watching it.[/quote]

I am with you that re-visiting the first episode for 15 minutes was excessive but on the flip side they got all the inside job things sorted out and we understand the premise of the bar area...and all those dolls that remind me of silent hill >.<.

As long as they don't do another reverse episode will be just fine.

Jan 18, 2015 12:47 AM

Fellener said:

Death Parade 2/12

So... I liked the episode for what it was, i just dont expect anything that could be better than Billiards now. Accepted is gonna be different and well, i enjoyed the episode had some problems with the story here and there but well, it happens. Still, it looks like a wasted potential but i dont think i'll ever get bored watching it.

I pretty much feel the same, it wasn't what I expected nor hoped for: Well I guess seeing how messed up the orignial premise is, exploring it more in depth for a full series makes sense. In the end, it still turned out to be interesting. I like the idea that the arbiters can be wrong.

Hibbington said:

As long as they don't do another reverse episode will be just fine.

Well I have doubts about that, do you think the games that we see in the opening are all the games we'll have during the show? Because I only count 5. So either more reverse, or maybe games lasting several episodes?

Jan 18, 2015 8:11 AM

Hibbington said:
Maybe not in the anime guild but I am noted for saying in other places on the MAL site that i believe that this series might end up being over 100 episodes by the end of it and by the pacing it seems more and more likely.

Now that you said, it looks really possible and i dont know if i'll like it. The more and more episodes they release this way it kinda gets more and more exausting to follow up, if they do like they did in this season. On the first one they adapted 5 books into 25 episodes, wich is pretty normal. But for this season they only adapted 2 books, and you can see the change of passing and some "filler" here and there in comparison to the first season. Lets just hope that greedy studios dont ruin this series, i guess.

Jan 18, 2015 10:28 AM

Fellener said:

Now that you said, it looks really possible and i dont know if i'll like it. The more and more episodes they release this way it kinda gets more and more exausting to follow up, if they do like they did in this season. On the first one they adapted 5 books into 25 episodes, wich is pretty normal. But for this season they only adapted 2 books, and you can see the change of passing and some "filler" here and there in comparison to the first season. Lets just hope that greedy studios dont ruin this series, i guess.

Here's my argument for that, we've seen in the past a lot of good shows not get a second season because there wasn't enough material to make a new season the next year. The voice actors move on, the studio moves on and it harder to get them all back together. The longer it takes for more books to come out the less chance it a third season will happen and we've seen that the third season thresh hold is a very deadly place. I believe log horizon has had 8 books out so if they want to make a third season in a year's time most likely it would have to be 2 books again. I personally feel that 5 books into one season is too much for longer series. So it's not that the studio is being greedy but they are thinking ahead, where as most studios only live in the moment, which can be argued that that's being more greedy as there taking more material then they need that kills the longevity of the series.

Jan 18, 2015 11:01 AM

Saying that good shows dont get second season just because of not enough material is pretty vague. There could be TONS of reasons for things like that to happen. I'm not gonna mention that because i dont believe any of then fits LH, i trully believe that they will adapt all of the series, the author even talks with his audience a lot about the anime and all taht stuff. 1 book should cover around 5 episodes, i cant think of any anime that did something different and it didnt had pacing issues.

So, they have 1 book they didnt adapted and i readed that they will release 2 books this year. Its enough material to do another season at the end of 2015 but i think it will have the same problems with pacing that i mentioned above. I dont think waiting more for the writer to do material will be bad since LH is really popular and as i mentioned above, they want to adapt all of it. So wait a bit more and get a better quality is what i favor.

Or idk, do like the monogatari series is doing and adapt each arc at a random time as an OVA, with a really good quality. I would love that.

Jan 19, 2015 12:01 AM

First thing, just reminder about the role titles. Only two others have chosen a role title and it's something that I feel helps gives you a personalization in the discussion thread.

Seiken Tsukai no World Break Episode 2 Review

Well so far I don't care about Satsuki, I don't care about Shizuno, and on episode two our MC learns a move that 1 hit a nine-head hydra. This was a last minute pick-up and I kind of wish I just left it alone. I'm going to watch until the 4th episode so i can give it a proper grading but so far it's on the chopping block and it has a climb to get out of it.

[color=LightSeaGreen]Sengoku Musou 2 Episode Review[/color]

First of all, I really like the opening song. I think it fits the series well. As for the episode, I found it pretty strong. It shows how much structure was needed to keep Japan together and without structure after the lord's death would lead to more chaos and we have a battle next episode. This is when the series really need to produce, they've drawn the line of the two sides this episode and the pay-off has to be this battle.

Absolute Duo Episode 3 Review

So after listening to the opening 3 times now, i find the middle of the song lacking flow and for that reason I really don't dig it, but I do love the ending song.

Now to the episode, surprisingly really good. I really like the teamwork fighting, I just wish there was more strategy involved. That teacher though...

Jan 22, 2015 9:40 AM

log horizon 2 15
was good. Much prefer my akatsuki to get more attention but I'm glad they're expanding on the other membesrs more. I felt it was lacking for a long time.

Fellener said:
Log Horizon 15/25
Even though the next few episodes will center around more character building of our minor characters which is good in it's own right. I just can't help but really want it to finish this small arc quickly because I want the big showdown between Shiroe and Plant Hwayden to come faster. It feels like that under-arching plot feels way more important and these little mini arcs are stretching it out a bit. All in all this episode was actually pretty fun but felt like a filler, an enjoyable one at that though. Also, hyped for Shiroe number 2. xD

I think it's a good plan. Not having expansion on the many other characters was a downside to the story since they introduced so many of them. Also, shiroe #2 is gonna be sick. She's obviously a vampire! did you see dem teeth?!

I would really like them to expand more on the raid leader of tea time though. Having her randomly introduced and then not showing more of here was saddening for me.

Jan 22, 2015 12:26 PM

Hibbington said:
[color=LightSeaGreen]Sengoku Musou 2 Episode Review[/color]

First of all, I really like the opening song. I think it fits the series well. As for the episode, I found it pretty strong. It shows how much structure was needed to keep Japan together and without structure after the lord's death would lead to more chaos and we have a battle next episode. This is when the series really need to produce, they've drawn the line of the two sides this episode and the pay-off has to be this battle.

I have to agree. The opening reminds me of why I liked Basilisk's opening and I feel as if this series can go really far and even surpass Sengoku Basara as the video game adaptation anime for the Sengoku period. Sanada as two brothers works well and seems like we will get a more fleshed out relationship in the episodes to come. Not only that, but they are getting political which will be satisfying to see something from this genre do. That being said, I'm not content with the cast as of yet. A lot of them seem bland especially the two leaders of both sides and are not as dynamic as they were in Judge End, which is surprising since Judge End was bad. The rest of the cast is forgettable as well and I hope that it will not be the case for the entire season.

Jan 22, 2015 10:53 PM

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Episode 2 Review

"The Greatest weapon or arsenal that a creator has is the short attention span of their audience"- Tomoya Aki

I'm going to come out and say this right now, this is getting the [color=gold]Hibbington Seal of Approval[/color] as a recommendation to everyone on this thread to watch this series, even fate and fellener because not only did this anime take a shot at their audience for their love for fan-service but now they took a shot at the way we keep appreciating the same cardboard cutout characters season after season after season, and they do it in a way that makes you laugh at yourself and not just get completely pissed off. Megumi Katou is going to become one of my favorite girls in anime if this keeps up as she keeps defiling everything that a normal girl like Kosaki Onodera does in an anime. This show needs more recognition than it's getting.

[B]Shirobako Episode 15 Review[/B]

If i had to do that many meetings every single day...I'd be like this

I'm not sure how many people are watching this show in this chat, and if you can handle a slice of life you should because I feel this is upon the top level of slice of life, I'll still put in a spoiler...

Besides that this episode is about showing around the new desk girls. We keep getting more and more characters to this series, but then again there is a lot of divisions in making an anime and with turnover ratios...the realism is there.

[B]Akatsuki no Yona Episode 15 Review[/B]

Seems like the next couple episodes were finally getting some more development on other tribes in the kingdom and our "grand" new king Su-won. The majority of the episode was trying to decipher what type of king he is going to be. Personally I think he is going to be a mixer of his father and King Il, which is a pretty great king honestly but because how the show is perceived he is the villain. There is going to become a time where were probably going to have a huge clash of morals over Su-won.

Quickbits!
Tokyo Ghoul-More great set-up, there really geared to giving us a story this season than just action, action, action. For anime watchers like myself who are very progression driven that is good but for anime watchers who were use to nonstop action are probably crying out slice of life >.>.
Shinmai Maou no Testament- The fanservice was strong this episode but when you put a succubus in a show...come on now -.^.

Jan 23, 2015 6:13 AM

Decided to catch back up in yona(10-15)
It's finally progressing!!!

Parasyte ep 15 was as good as ever. Shitz goin down

Knb 3 ep 2 was a good start.
But, can he steal the zone, that's the real question.

Shigatsu ep was intense, but this is probably where the golden time level-shit drama pecks in.

Jan 24, 2015 3:33 PM

[color=brown]Isuca Episode 1 Review[/color]

Wow...this was pretty bad.
Now the beginning was interesting. It was like, you want fan-service than "here you go" O_O.
Everything was downhill from there though. First of all, I felt Keisuke Koumoto did not do a very good job as voicing the main character. What really hurt this episode was the continuous same cliche gag and it's not that they did this cliche but did it like 5 times in one episode. To be cliche means, it's done a lot so you can do it once or twice but FIVE TIMES? The only thing that I can say I like about this episode was the ending song. I would personally say avoid this show only if you want to watch it when it's uncensored. I'm going to be masochist and try to watch until episode four.

Death Parade Episode 3 Review

This was a beautiful episode and an episode that i believe this series needed as it broke the linear path of how every game would end and be rid of the depressing aura, hi fate, that the show has shown in the previous two episodes.

[B]Log Horizon Season 2: Episode 16 Review[/B]

So basically the first 17 minutes of this show wasn't needed at all.
As for what is important is that honesty is having internal problems and want to do a activity clean-out. Some people watching the show that do not play MMO's might think it's cruel but it is actually a very common thing in guilds or clans to kick out inactive players. I've conducted probably a dozen activity clean-outs as a former runescape clan leader. Then...we have a vampire female version of shiroe? What is word am i think for?...sexy...
Modified by Hibbington, Jan 24, 2015 4:02 PM

Jan 24, 2015 3:54 PM

Death Parade 3/12

I disagree a lot with you in this one. Everything during th episode felt cheap. Cheap mystery and thriller ( of all the ways possible to create a mystery you choose to MUTE the characters?), cheap romance ( Lack of characterization), cheap jokes, and OMG that ending. Cheap discuss that looked like it came from a moral leson of a kids show, and of couse ending with a strike in the bowlling. The 3 episodes so far where really different from each other, it looks like the director has no idea what he wants to do, I was so hyped for this show, the hype its turning to angry.

Log Horizon 2 16/25

First time i got bored watching LH, seriously. Please, fix this pacing. And no one noticed how similar the campire is to Shiore? Guessing i would say she is Shiroe alt, that he had for some reason. But why would she be a real person now?

Jan 24, 2015 5:27 PM

Death Parade 3

Same as Fel (without the anger), I think it was a weak episode. I found the contestants and especially their backstory particularly uninteresting. I'm waiting to see if that kind of episode will be the norm or the exception, while of course hoping that it's the latter.

Akatsuki no Yona 15
Ew that new OP... The ED is good though.
Anyway, fine episode. We take a break from the main quest to focus on Su-Won, which I welcome as his motivations are still unclear at the moment. It was also interesting to see how King Il was perceived by his people.

For the rest, nothing much to say, really. Parasyte, Shigatsu and Durarara!! certainly don't disappoint.

Jan 26, 2015 10:40 PM

Seiken Tsukai no World Break Episode 3 Review

This was surprisingly better, still have to put up with Satsuki annoying laugh but the British duo helped put a little more spice into the show. So were batting 1.000 on Moroha learning a new move every episode. Just keep "remembering" kid >.>.

[color=LightSeaGreen]Sengoku Musou 3 Episode Review[/color]

When you look at the budget quality of the show, I'm not really sure they could of done any better with this episode's battle. I'm really digging the dialogue between characters. I felt the Samurai Warrior vibes within the fights with 4 or 5 people getting taken out with on slash, always cool =p. Hopefully will have a good confrontation between the Sanada Brothers next week.

Absolute Duo Episode 4 Review

I'm really getting attached to this show and one of the main reasons is that homeroom teacher is just the best. When I first saw her I was thinking here we go with another Bekki from Nourin but that second personality makes her just so devious. The main purpose of this show was to introduce the "X factor" or the normal exchange student to mess up the equilibrium. She's been tolerable so far but this episode was more down time than anything. They went to the mall and even that was entertaining for me because when you do faces that reminds me of Akatsuki from Log Horizon. Your putting me in my happy place =).

Jan 28, 2015 11:30 AM

moe food episode 1

Since my concept of 'later tonight' is practically non-existent I saw it tonight, made me hungry. Didn't expect to like it but I kind of did, it was aight. Shaft shirt visuals was really stylistic tbh despite not making any sense. I'll probably stick with this one, although I could do without the 'erotic' meal scenes

Absolute Duo ep 1-2, kind of

Skipped most part just to see the broken Swedish, which was broken. Looked like generic harem crap from what I saw of it though. Dropped, I guess even though I technically wasnt watching

Also dropping KanColle, I can't bother with it tbh.

Now I just need to pick up rolling girls and the yuri bear one and see what they have to offer

Jan 28, 2015 11:39 AM

been slow on the anime watching lately.

Shigatsu 14

Man, this build up to whiether Blonde dies is killing me. I hope Arima gets a happy ending. :x

Nothing really else to say besides it's a major build up episode.
Modified by Speakss, Jan 28, 2015 11:51 AM

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »