Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 23, 2009 1:41 PM

Oct 2009
I was having a conversation with a friend of mine today, and I was telling her how I've become really addicted to anime/manga. She's not really into anime or manga at all, and spends most of her time concentrating on her school work. She ask me, "Well, I know you're so addicted to it and all... But what do you get out of it? What's the point to it?"

To be honest, I really wasn't sure what to say other than the fact that it's entertaining. I was just wondering... What do you get out of anime/manga?

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 23, 2009 1:43 PM

Apr 2009
It always does something that you don't expect.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Nov 23, 2009 1:43 PM

Oct 2009
i thought that was the point of all hobbies? entertainment? correct me if im wrong though ;p

the whole point of hobbies is that its entertaining, otherwise it wouldnt be a hobby
Nov 23, 2009 1:45 PM

Oct 2009
litharia said:
i thought that was the point of all hobbies? entertainment? correct me if im wrong though ;p

the whole point of hobbies is that its entertaining, otherwise it wouldnt be a hobby

You're right, and that's what I think. But I mean... Is there anything that you can benefit from in anime/manga?

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
Nov 23, 2009 1:50 PM

Sep 2009
well i guess you can think of it more as not losing anything.

It's probably not because of anime that you're not studying right now. You're probably indulging in procrastination, and if Anime wasn't in your life, you'd only be off watching top chef, CSI, or something else instead :p

Real Benefit: learning Japanese. I went to Japan for a couple of days layover on my way back from china when i was in high school. I had been exposed to anime for about 3 years at the time, and I was able to ask for directions and order food, however poorly. Some old lady also taught me a way to put down my chopsticks on the table using its wrapper as a prop up.
Nov 23, 2009 2:09 PM

Dec 2007
It is entertaining, it is an artistic media to be appreciated, has awesome pick up lines you can use and you don't feel like a criminal when looking to underage characters.

You lose time.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 23, 2009 2:20 PM

Oct 2008
Aside from the entertainment perspective, some people clam that an anime has changed his or her life in someway for the better. Maybe anime can motivate a person to do things they wouldn't normally do, or maybe a show will introduce ideas and principles that said person can add to their own to better themselves as a person. The same thing goes on in books, movies, and music, so why not anime?
Nov 23, 2009 2:30 PM

Oct 2008
anime is just like watching 90210, they all affect us the same way. the only difference is this media is drawn and most people don't get the concept behind a good anime.
Nov 23, 2009 2:41 PM
Oct 2008
Well, an anime cheers me up; Almost all the time u can see the sad me. :P In other words: entertaining... I couldn't give up anime/manga right now. I know it takes a lot of time ( lost time) to watch anime and I wish I could do something about it. I want to watch anime but I'm busy at school and I have to do a lot of other things. So I guess someday I wouldn't have time to watch anime like I watch now.
Animes are another hobby like reading or practicing a sport or smth. It's just a method to spend your free time. ^_^
The Japanese learning it's a good reason, but you can't learn just from animes. I understand some of the words the characters are saying but It's not enough.
I like to watch anime for a reason aside the entertainement thingy. In animes/mangas some beautiful worlds are showed and lots of cute characters that you don't see often in real life. For example, the Straw Hat Crew from One Piece; they're united although it doesn't seem like it; also the word 'nakama' has an important meaning. I wish people would be like that. ...
I could give you lots of examples on this theme. Animes haven't changed my life so much. I'm a little more happy than I used to be; for some reason I wish that some characters from animes to exist in real life; I would be nice, wouldn't it? :p
(hope it's not a post full of non-sense. ... >_<)
Nov 23, 2009 2:45 PM

Nov 2007
It's made a social recluse who has a severe, incurable, fetish for 2D women in shrine maiden outfits or thighhighs.

Very similar topic: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=52136
Nov 23, 2009 2:46 PM

Aug 2007
Whenver someone says that to me, I ask them what their hobbies are...and what they get out of it. Usually I hear things like Movies, music, cars and stuff like that. How is it any different?

Not only anime, but think of the community. I have gotten more true friends from anime than I have at any other point in my life. I have gained life experiances traveling around the country meeting new people and doing new things that I would have never done on my own.

Plus, it makes the time go ;)

Nov 23, 2009 3:01 PM

Jun 2009
Lucky Star got me into a studying habit believe it or not...
Reason behind it

Haruhi got me realize that I've been wasting my holidays sleeping till noon.

those are just 2 of the things I've learnt from anime, there's a lot more that makes up who I am today.
AirStylesNov 23, 2009 3:07 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2009 3:19 PM

Nov 2009
I learned a lot of ways to better myself.

Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion in particular help me see that.
Nov 23, 2009 3:50 PM
Aug 2009
Just something to do. Same thing as any of my other hobbies, for entertainment while not in class.
Nov 23, 2009 4:06 PM

Nov 2009
There are none.

I watch anime because I'm a bored, virgin individual, with nothing else more productive to do.

End of
DaimyoNov 23, 2009 4:10 PM
Nov 23, 2009 4:11 PM

Aug 2008
JessIsEpic said:
What do you get out of anime/manga?

Enjoyment. What else do you expect?
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 23, 2009 4:15 PM

Nov 2009
KyuuA4 said:
JessIsEpic said:

How can you enjoy watching anime? Honestly, some anime/manga put me to sleep. It's more of a chore really, watching anime/manga these days. I feel as though that a contract is formed between me and the current anime I'm watching and I become the slave of the show, that is why I try to limit the amount of anime and manga I read. But as always I fall flat on my ass with nothing better to do.
Nov 23, 2009 4:19 PM

Jun 2009
Anime is not much different from regular TV shows, movies ect. What do you get out of those usually? nothing but entertainment most of the time, though there are exceptions. I would think it a bit sad if anime has majorly impacted someones life, but i suppose whatever it takes to better yourself. I personally consider it the same as any other hobby/way to kill free time.
Nov 23, 2009 4:29 PM

Aug 2008
HellOtaku said:
KyuuA4 said:
JessIsEpic said:

How can you enjoy watching anime? Honestly, some anime/manga put me to sleep. It's more of a chore really, watching anime/manga these days.

You choose a reason to like certain series. :p

HellOtaku said:
But as always I fall flat on my ass with nothing better to do.

It's better than 80% of the crap on network/cable TV.

And I tend to balance myself by doing something else... like posting here... or... watching sports... or... doing volunteer work for the church... or exercising.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Nov 23, 2009 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
experiencing and enjoying media from another culture can broaden the mind greatly. and when the rest of the nation is watching crap like American Idol or glued to the great political drama the news networks have turned into. watching anime doesn't seem to bad or so silly.
Nov 23, 2009 4:36 PM

Aug 2008
Akito38 said:
experiencing and enjoying media from another culture can broaden the mind greatly. .

Then why not watch something from say... Germany or Russia? :p

Nov 23, 2009 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
KyuuA4 said:
Akito38 said:
experiencing and enjoying media from another culture can broaden the mind greatly. .

Then why not watch something from say... Germany or Russia? :p

doesn't really matter what culture. as long as its not your own. Although this may be more of an issue in America since we are a bit more introverted it seems.
Nov 23, 2009 4:41 PM

Jun 2008
It makes you realize how most other forms of animation fail in comparison.
Nov 23, 2009 4:58 PM

Sep 2008
Uh it's entertainment it's not meant to be productive or benefiting.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Nov 23, 2009 5:33 PM

Aug 2009
What do you get watching Anime?

You get moral lessons and escape reality for the meantime when you're watching an Anime. Also, enjoyment and killing the time away are one of the benefits. If you get bored watching a particular Anime, then you're watching the wrong Anime.
Nov 23, 2009 6:15 PM

Nov 2007
1) anime has helped me make friends. Sad, but true
2) helps me with my Japanese
3) helps me learn more about Japanese culture and stereotypes
4) is a heck of a lot better than half the crap on TV nowadays.
Nov 23, 2009 6:41 PM
Nov 2009
I think, aside from the obvious entertainment value (why else would you even be here?), that anime and manga offer what any other source of literature does. Granted, it's not always as elloquent or direct, or even that meaningful, yet I believe that watching anime and reading manga offers us various insights. Though they range in impact and topic, I think anime teaches us stuff about ourselves, and sometimes even one another. That sounds corny because it is. But who can watch something like Gurren Lagann or Eva and walk away without having "learned" anything? While your typical, run-of-the-mill romance comedy may not reveal anything deep, I genuinely think that (good) anime and manga teaches us important life lessons. The problem remains, however: how do we use these lessons in... dun-dun-duuuuun; real life?
Nov 23, 2009 7:19 PM

Apr 2009
I hate when people treat anime as a job

"I plan when I watch MY anime"

"If I don't watch this amount in this amount of time I wont get my list bigger"

Anime is not about MAL

It is about enjoying a form of entertainment..

It just frustrates me.
Nov 23, 2009 7:21 PM

Dec 2007
In general, it greatly reduces your risk of catching STDs.
Nov 23, 2009 7:37 PM

Jun 2008
KyuuA4 said:
HellOtaku said:
But as always I fall flat on my ass with nothing better to do.

It's better than 80% of the crap on network/cable TV.

And I tend to balance myself by doing something else... like posting here... or... watching sports... or... doing volunteer work for the church... or exercising.
I know you're biased so it's okay. And since you watch sports, those 20% is good enough. It ain't like 80% of the anime are good stuff either, just to be a little of devil's advocate here.

Anyways, clearly the benefit of whatever people here get out of anime outweigh the obvious cost to it; when you could do something "better" to exercise and educate the mind. In general, people tend to be short sighted than far sighted. Milestone goals that demands patience and a long time spent toward what might be just failure diminish the motivation. And why not? It isn't like being short sighted is particularly bad. Everyone do it, even the guys who seem to persevere toward the end. We need recreation, and for people who watch anime, that is our recreation. As for why we chose it to be our recreation, that is simply due to the result of chance. It's about the same as playing basketball or just simply staring out of the window. Just a different form, but about the same function.
Nov 23, 2009 7:44 PM
Oct 2009
I like to read a lot because of anime x] it also motavates me to draw my own doujinshi. Well, I wouldn't really call those benefits but at least it's nothing negitive.
Nov 23, 2009 7:55 PM

Sep 2008
Motivation, for me atleast. I can't stand watching small insignificant people living boring and insignificant lives (The Office, MTV, just about all of American media). Anime offers something a little more deep for me. Motivation to be above and beyond the rest, standing out instead of blending in.

/shrug.

PS: *I obviously don't watch shit like lucky star etc.~*
Nov 23, 2009 10:57 PM

Dec 2007
Novaangle18 said:

You obviously must have watched it so you have the experience to call it shit. Of course
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 23, 2009 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
ladyxzeus said:
Novaangle18 said:

You obviously must have watched it so you have the experience to call it shit. Of course

he insulted my God :(
Nov 24, 2009 12:12 AM

Oct 2009
its fun!!
Nov 24, 2009 1:30 AM

Jan 2008
litharia said:

well, yes, you are wrong. While the main point is entertainment, you can also get a lot outta your hobbies :]
Sports for example train your body. I feel way better and healthier nowadays when I'm training every day compared to myself from a few years ago when I didn't.
You can also get a lot out of drawing/painting and music (playing instrument) too, trust me ;)

as of me, animanga is mainly for entertainment and fun. I watch anime when i feel like it and I don't think of it as a chore. Besides, nowadays I rarely pick up a series to watch, I have better ways to waste my time :] Tho some series inspire me to be more creative and I love it when that happens =D You can learn some cool phrases, get a few moral lessons, learn new stuff about Japanese culture and perhaps even start studying Japanese.
We're all insane
Nov 24, 2009 1:50 AM

Jul 2009
Benefits of Watching Anime..

1. Entertainment/Hobby - you watch it to entertain yourself, to keep yourself from slitting your wrists from boredom, you got nothing better to do...

2. Learn - you can learn about japanese culture, and you can also learn japanese. Anime actually has helped me increase my japanese vocabulary and also you get to see the way people normally say things and one day if you get good enough, you can watch anime without subs ^^. Also welcome to the NHK taught me what a pyramid scheme is which gained me a mark in commerce. ^^

3. You can watch less crappy REALITY TV shows... ^^
あらあら。。。^^
Nov 24, 2009 2:07 AM

Mar 2009
yes. anime is entertaining and it won't make you get bored.
and with anime we can find something incredible that not possible in this world ;D
Nov 24, 2009 2:14 AM
Oct 2009
Makes you learn 'plain form' in Japanese for sure :D
Nov 24, 2009 4:19 AM

Oct 2008
I get a whole lot out of it.

Entertainment
Language training
I learn about culture

I don't see why it's different from watching a regular movie/film or playing some game.
行けー幼子兵器!あれは木端微塵に粉砕しろ!
Nov 24, 2009 6:01 AM

Oct 2007
Some anime demonstrates things not covered by the stuff you see on English tv. And I don't mean hentai.
Nov 24, 2009 7:04 AM

Sep 2008
I loled that the people who think anime teaches you Japanese culture. The culture in anime is nothing like it actually is. Just look how the Japanese depict us in anime, from what they learned from our media.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Nov 24, 2009 7:08 AM

Jun 2009
You can read subtitles faster than the average human being.
Nov 24, 2009 7:59 AM

Oct 2007
Jigero said:
The culture in anime is nothing like it actually is.

So true - real Japan isn't how its represented in anime. Well, the places quite obviously are, but... you get the idea.
Nov 24, 2009 9:08 AM

Aug 2009
Learning:
- English (For me it's not my mother tongue.. so I'm not really great at English)
- Japanese
- Drawing (Well, by watching you might learn a bit how to draw anime)

- and by experiencing things, you might look to things in a different way.. (Depends, it could be a benefit xD)
- kills time/enjoyment =]
- sharing a hobby with other people.. so you can talk about it ect. xD
DymoniaNov 24, 2009 9:12 AM
Nov 24, 2009 9:14 AM

Jun 2008
Hikari-tan said:
Jigero said:

So true - real Japan isn't how its represented in anime. Well, the places quite obviously are, but... you get the idea.
Not so true, it's just about as being exaggerated as saying one could learn "many" things instead of being "nothing" like it actually is. I guess those cultural/sport festivals that's apparent in like every anime based on school is not an aspect of culture, those food that they eat (ramen, teriyaki, etc), I guess is not an aspect of their culture, those customs like saying stuff before they eat or go out is also not an aspect of their culture, etcetc. Let's see... using honorifics and such. List continues on. Everything I've said is an aspect of the Japanese culture which, in one way or another, is somewhat unique just to themselves.
Nov 24, 2009 10:07 AM

Aug 2008
Exercise is one obvious benefit! LOL XD

U KEN DO EEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Nov 24, 2009 12:10 PM

Sep 2009
-catching more japanese vocabulary
- i read subtitle so i'm startin' to read fast
-getting to know more about japanese culture
- its entertaining
Nov 25, 2009 8:20 AM

Oct 2007
Tachii said:
Hikari-tan said:
Jigero said:

Not so true, it's just about as being exaggerated as saying one could learn "many" things instead of being "nothing" like it actually is. I guess those cultural/sport festivals that's apparent in like every anime based on school is not an aspect of culture, those food that they eat (ramen, teriyaki, etc), I guess is not an aspect of their culture, those customs like saying stuff before they eat or go out is also not an aspect of their culture, etcetc. Let's see... using honorifics and such. List continues on. Everything I've said is an aspect of the Japanese culture which, in one way or another, is somewhat unique just to themselves.

I mainly meant the way people treat each other in anime is usually very different to real life. For example, in most anime everyone makes a fuss out of a relationship, even if its been going on for a while, and so much as holding hands is considered as a huge thing. When I was in Japan there were countless couples holding hands and kissing.
That's the kind of thing I meant.
Nov 25, 2009 4:29 PM

Apr 2009
llol anime made me fail year 11
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.