Forum Settings
Forums

Are people generally too close minded when it comes to music?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Feb 28, 2015 11:12 AM

Definitely, I was showing a song to my friend the other and he said he liked it, then when I told him it was rock he automatically changed his opinion to 'nope its bad'.
I've been here way too long...

Feb 28, 2015 11:30 AM

incisorr said:
lyrics arent music and most of the time they suck

just saying

(this doesnt mean i dont like any vocals or songs it just means i heavily prefer instrumental, as it should be) so not everyone relates to lyrics or even acknowledges them

This is true, Lyrics are poetry embedded in music, and are technically not music.

However, a persons reasons for listening to music are 7/10 times lyrical, which is relevant to the discussion of whether or not people are close-minded about music.

Edit: I personally do not listen to music for lyrics, I mean 0% of whether or not I like a song is influenced by lyrics, I am not arguing their importance at all, simply their relevance. The only stuff I listen to with singing is Techno Pop, and who ever even cared a little bit about what The Knife is singing about.

Feb 28, 2015 11:35 AM

Zapdos-Spacefunk said:
incisorr said:
lyrics arent music and most of the time they suck

just saying

(this doesnt mean i dont like any vocals or songs it just means i heavily prefer instrumental, as it should be) so not everyone relates to lyrics or even acknowledges them

This is true, Lyrics are poetry embedded in music, and are technically not music.

However, a persons reasons for listening to music are 7/10 times lyrical, which is relevant to the discussion of whether or not people are close-minded about music.

Edit: I personally do not listen to music for lyrics, I mean 0% of whether or not I like a song is influenced by lyrics, I am not arguing their importance at all, simply their relevance. The only stuff I listen to with singing is Techno Pop, and who ever even cared a little bit about what The Knife is singing about.

Listening to music just for lyrics is just weird to me. I cant relate at all.

Feb 28, 2015 11:43 AM

Waifu_Strangler said:

Yeah, it just has to do with how a person thinks. For one thing, think of somebody who doesn't have a sense of rhythm or is tone-deaf, relatively common. Why would they care about the weird sounds accompanying their poetry? More commonly though, people are listening to music because they project themselves into the situation of who is singing, and relate to what they are singing about on a personal level(possibly because they are self-absorbed but what do I know). There have been bits of lyrics in songs that send chills down my spine:

"I never liked that sad look from someone who wants to be loved by you" -- Fever Ray
"Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die" -- Flaming Lips
"Nothing at the top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds" -- Meat Puppets

Would I listen to the music to hear them say these things? no. I can just read the lyrics. But for some people they want to hear cool things like this accompanied to song and pass time with it. I'd rather listen to Blockhead roll cool beats or Boards of Canada try and influence my emotions with nothing but sound.

Feb 28, 2015 12:18 PM

Zapdos-Spacefunk said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Yeah, it just has to do with how a person thinks. For one thing, think of somebody who doesn't have a sense of rhythm or is tone-deaf, relatively common. Why would they care about the weird sounds accompanying their poetry? More commonly though, people are listening to music because they project themselves into the situation of who is singing, and relate to what they are singing about on a personal level(possibly because they are self-absorbed but what do I know). There have been bits of lyrics in songs that send chills down my spine:

"I never liked that sad look from someone who wants to be loved by you" -- Fever Ray
"Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die" -- Flaming Lips
"Nothing at the top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds" -- Meat Puppets

Would I listen to the music to hear them say these things? no. I can just read the lyrics. But for some people they want to hear cool things like this accompanied to song and pass time with it. I'd rather listen to Blockhead roll cool beats or Boards of Canada try and influence my emotions with nothing but sound.

i love myself some good lyrics. and like to sit down with the lyric sheed and listen to an album. probem is that i generaly forget to listen to half the lyrics when i dont have the sheed in my hands.

it also depends on the genres. like theres punk and sludge bands with lyrics i can indentify or agree with. but cant give a fuck about some fantasy/mythical lyrics you know.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

Feb 28, 2015 12:21 PM

I'm pretty open minded, I've listened to a lot of genre, from pop to experimental, but still I have a clear idea about what i like most. Music heavily focused on its structure.

I would be happy with newly composed contemporary baroque music, aware of its time, that experiment with the tools that this era can give.

Feb 28, 2015 12:57 PM

To be completely honest, creativity is overrated. Usually new experimental stuff just sounds weird and shitty because most good ideas have already been used before. I'll take a well-executed clone band over some fancy-pants avant-garde progressive blackened jazzy xyzcore band any day.

Feb 28, 2015 1:15 PM

Nihilfist said:
To be completely honest, creativity is overrated. Usually new experimental stuff just sounds weird and shitty because most good ideas have already been used before. I'll take a well-executed clone band over some fancy-pants avant-garde progressive blackened jazzy xyzcore band any day.

You make me sad. Originality and creativity drive the world. There's such a thing as artsy-farty bullshit, but experimenting with new concepts is how wonderful concepts are born. Everything you ever liked was once an original concept.

Feb 28, 2015 1:18 PM

Zapdos-Spacefunk said:
Nihilfist said:

You make me sad. Originality and creativity drive the world. There's such a thing as artsy-farty bullshit, but experimenting with new concepts is how wonderful concepts are born. Everything you ever liked was once an original concept.

What's wrong with artsy fartsy bullshit?

Feb 28, 2015 1:42 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:
Zapdos-Spacefunk said:

Nothing, that's pretty much my entire film and book collection. I'm simply stating that it exists and I don't mind calling it what it is.

The Castle, by Franz Kafka? It's artsy-fartsy, and it's bullshit, and it's also my favorite book.

Tortoise is a musician that's up that alley that I like quite a bit.

Feb 28, 2015 3:09 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:
Zapdos-Spacefunk said:

It doesn't sound very good.

Feb 28, 2015 5:11 PM

Nihilfist said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

It doesn't sound very good.

I love your reasoning as to why. Sorry but yes it sounds better than your generic no effort clone bands.

Mar 1, 2015 1:54 PM

-Skyleo- said:
underrated post

Mar 1, 2015 1:58 PM

Hihi7 said:
-Skyleo- said:
underrated post

I'm going to argue against that comic, I find it inaccurate when applied to the entire population.

People that use the nerdy side of the internet tend to think this way, because they devote more of their time to widening their perspective and introversion, so naturally, people on anime forums and people that design web comics will have a skewed perspective on the ratio of at least mildly self-aware people. Most people in the world don't have these thoughts, or if they do they are not so complex. If you don't believe me, go visit wal-mart, or walk into a church, it's sunday.

Mar 1, 2015 2:16 PM

Zapdos-Spacefunk said:
I'm going to argue against that comic, I find it inaccurate when applied to the entire population.

People that use the nerdy side of the internet tend to think this way, because they devote more of their time to widening their perspective and introversion, so naturally, people on anime forums and people that design web comics will have a skewed perspective on the ratio of at least mildly self-aware people. Most people in the world don't have these thoughts, or if they do they are not so complex. If you don't believe me, go visit wal-mart, or walk into a church, it's sunday.
You practically just proved the comic's point.

Mar 1, 2015 2:17 PM

Yes very. The butthurt level is intense when they don't hear they're favorite jam.

Mar 1, 2015 2:27 PM

Hihi7 said:
Zapdos-Spacefunk said:

Did you go to wal-mart or church yet?

Mar 1, 2015 2:57 PM

Zapdos-Spacefunk said:
Hihi7 said:

Check your ego.

Mar 1, 2015 2:58 PM

Hihi7 said:
Zapdos-Spacefunk said:

Check your ego.

Moe sucks.

Mar 1, 2015 3:37 PM

Hihi7 said:
Zapdos-Spacefunk said:

Check your ego.

Hell no I earned that thing through a lot of hard work and dedication.

Mar 1, 2015 4:16 PM

Zapdos-Spacefunk said:
Hihi7 said:
Check your ego.

where i live you will only find a fiew 80+ people in church man. no one believes that crap anymore.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

Mar 1, 2015 4:20 PM

gizter13 said:
Zapdos-Spacefunk said:

where i live you will only find a fiew 80+ people in church man. no one believes that crap anymore.

I believe in the church! All should believe in the church!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBHVQBNnGuk

Mar 1, 2015 4:28 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:
gizter13 said:

haha. got that record, but honestly havn't lisntened to it that much.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

Mar 1, 2015 4:31 PM

gizter13 said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

haha. got that record, but honestly havn't lisntened to it that much.

I used to listen to it all the time. Good stuff.

Mar 1, 2015 9:37 PM

It is sad but true
After 19 years (my age), I learned to tolerate other genres while still listening to my prefered genre, rock and metal. I am starting to get into J-pop and J-rock because of anime, and because im branching out my interest in the guitar, I learned to love any music with the guitar. So basically all types of rock, metal, blues, jazz, and even country.
Regarding your question, yes people in general tend to be closed minded when it comes to music, although outside of the internet, those people wont openly admit it

Mar 2, 2015 9:03 AM

gizter13 said:
Zapdos-Spacefunk said:

Have you ever visited the south? It's like, wow. Steeple on every block.

Mar 2, 2015 10:30 AM

crestofhonesty said:
Yup, it's actually really annoying how close-minded people are when it comes to music.

Mar 2, 2015 11:51 AM

You can just look at every "does anyone here listen to metal?" thread that pops up here every so often and you'll see a pretty obvious example of how closed-minded people tend to be. There's always 3 or 4 genre nazis who go around correcting everyone and saying such-and-such genre isn't "real metal" (usually whatever genre is the current trendy target of hatred) whilst jizzing themselves over whatever 3kvlt5u bands they found by clicking on the "random band" button on metal-archives.com.

Mar 5, 2015 5:49 AM

I think people as a whole have become a little more open minded to more genres of music. I think this is due to how easy it is to stream music on the internet. 10 years ago you still had to download the file to your computer first. Also people are spending more time on the internet and the internet is where all the weird niche subcultures/genres are... so yeah.

That being said there is still a large amount of people who still only listen to the top 10 radio artists. Or they are tied down to the 1 or 2 genres ("I like EDM only") and don't care to try anything else.

Mar 5, 2015 11:00 AM

I don't worry too much about what other people think of music as long as the music I like is still out there. I prefer really unusual or unique styles like The Birthday Massacre, Shaka Ponk, Mindless Self Indulgence, and Goreshit.

Basically, all of the stuff not many people like.

Mar 6, 2015 3:13 AM

Man I dunno, but I know there is such a thing as being too open minded when u end up with celtic folk, gfunk, and early hardcore industrial on the same MP3 player

Mar 6, 2015 4:09 AM

stop_freud said:
Man I dunno, but I know there is such a thing as being too open minded when u end up with celtic folk, gfunk, and early hardcore industrial on the same MP3 player

I know what you mean.

Actually, there are two ways to interpret what is open-mindedness: listening to music that could be seen as unappealing, or listening to a lot of unrelated music genres. They're two completely different approaches. You're talking about the latter I think.

Mar 6, 2015 4:31 AM

stop_freud said:

What exactly would be wrong with that though? Would you think that person is trying too hard to be unique or something?

Mar 6, 2015 5:22 AM

AvantGardeGloom said:
stop_freud said:

What exactly would be wrong with that though? Would you think that person is trying too hard to be unique or something?

Actually that kind of listeners are usually pretty casual.
Modified by Aria-da-Capo, Mar 6, 2015 7:28 AM

Mar 6, 2015 8:49 AM

stop_freud said:

Those things aren't even that out there though. I don't see why someone enjoying each of these types of music is a bad thing.
xEmptiness said:
"if we follow what SW is suggesting, nihilism is the conclusion"

Mar 6, 2015 11:14 AM

Space-Wizard said:
stop_freud said:

Those things aren't even that out there though. I don't see why someone enjoying each of these types of music is a bad thing.

I agree. Hell I listen to both Hanatarash and Simon and Garfunkel.

Mar 6, 2015 10:55 PM
Hell, not just people in general, but some musicians as well

Mar 8, 2015 11:17 AM
yes and most people won't even give most genres a chance.

Mar 8, 2015 5:41 PM

lets measure our lastfm dicks and who has more artists !

mine are all handpicked without cheating with radio by listening a song few times and then forgetting about its existence or not even putting effort or attention in it

im not trying too hard i just listen to a lot of music and i go through all kinds of different moods so my need goes from the most quiet and silent thing to the loudest and fastest shat out there, i dislike not giving a chance to people in general and inequality so that makes me listen to all kinds of music even if i have to push myself for it

and lately, touhou remixes for example have opened my mind sort of that good music can come from anyone dedicated enough and not just from paid and popular producers so i decided that if a person can spend his time and effort to create a track then the very least i could do is listen to it and if i dont like it just ignore it but if i like it i should pay it the respects it deserves.

The world is much bigger than you think and the internet makes it seem small but its not, there are good things hidden everywhere and thats awfully positive from someone as negative as me but im not delusional and despite my depression i can weight in the cons and pros >_>

out of all my online friends theres probably only 1 guy that would listen to anything i gave him and its because ive emphasized how important it is to be open-minded to him, the rest wont even click on half+ of the links you send them and if they do they'd just scroll through the songs. I always listen the whole thing, even recommendations, regardless of how long they are. Some guy posted these dudes Cassiopeia in this forum and i liked their sounding so i ended up listening to 60 hours discography of them because a guy posted a track in here. At the very least if i cant listen to something because im not in the mood or busy i let them know, and they never do , annoying =.=
lots of music -

Mar 8, 2015 7:57 PM

If people aren't interested in exploring different veins of music then that's really up to them, I don't know why anyone would worry themselves about what others are listening to.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]