Forum Settings
Forums

Are people generally too close minded when it comes to music?

New
Jan 5, 2015 12:49 PM

Nov 2011
I like to think that music artists should try to be innovative and try new things and push the boundaries of music. It seems like a statement that would be obvious to agree with but a lot of people when they hear something out of the ordinary are quick to call it out as not being real music. As a music fan I am constantly trying to find new things and while they're are plenty of artists I don't like the ones that annoy me the most are the ones who are just copying off other artists and have no interest in really doing something unique or creative. Not saying every artists has to be groundbreaking some are indeed good at doing what's been done but giving it their own personal twist.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 5, 2015 1:06 PM

Oct 2014
Yup, it's actually really annoying how close-minded people are when it comes to music.
Jan 5, 2015 5:02 PM
Jul 2018
A lot of people are super closed minded about music and that's actually why I don't like talking about music with most people.
Jan 5, 2015 5:08 PM

Oct 2013
Yep they think

All country=Red neck music
All rap =Crap
All rock =Stoners
All pop =sex

Sounds heavy=Emo kid
Sounds Jazz =Old people music
Oni_LinkJan 5, 2015 7:49 PM
Jan 5, 2015 5:19 PM
Jul 2018
Oni_Link said:
Yep they think

All country=Red neck music
All rap =Crap
All rock =Stoners
All pop =sex

Don't forget that everything heavy is "screamo" and screamo = depressed emo kids.
Jan 5, 2015 7:43 PM

Jul 2012
yea not enough people listen to classical ;A;
Jan 5, 2015 7:46 PM

Apr 2014
Yup. I'm willing to try just about any genre, but most people refuse to listen to anything else.

It really makes me feel like I'm the only person in the word who adores Dubstep and 40's vintage music. They go well together, ok?
Jan 5, 2015 8:28 PM

Nov 2011
mayukachan said:
Does Pierre Schaeffer and Stockhausen count?

Protaku94 said:
Yup. I'm willing to try just about any genre, but most people refuse to listen to anything else.

It really makes me feel like I'm the only person in the word who adores Dubstep and 40's vintage music. They go well together, ok?
There's certainly an issue where people will get into a certain style of music and put off everything else.
Jan 5, 2015 8:29 PM

Jul 2012
DragonQuest3 said:
mayukachan said:
Does Pierre Schaeffer and Stockhausen count?

too avant garde to be considered :<
Jan 6, 2015 12:01 AM

Apr 2013
mayukachan said:

I feel ya. Went to carnegie hall a few weeks back to listen to one of the greatest young talents of our generation and the hall wasn't even half full lol. One of the cashiers was like, "since you're young, I'll give you front row seats for 12 bucks". He said it wouldn't matter because hardly anyone was there lmao.

In case you're curious, Daniil Trifonov was playing.

Btw, to stay on topic. As long as you don't bash the taste of others I don't care if you stick to one genre. Let people enjoy what they want to enjoy.
Jan 7, 2015 6:31 AM

Dec 2014
Having transitioned from rock/metal to J-core/electronic music I'd say that most people I've met are ignorant about music to be honest. Used to be accused of being some goth/emo back in the days when I used to listen to metal and since transitioning to electronic music it's all been "omg it's not real music it's made on a computer" and "lol fag music" and stuff like that.

Yeah, it's quite irritating when people just steal a melody or something and claim it as theirs. I can think of loads of examples. Bashing people for their music taste is also annoying.

tl;dr people are ignorant no matter what and like to steal
Jan 7, 2015 8:50 AM

Jun 2014
I guess I'm relatively "close minded" when it comes to music. My favorite music is Rock n Roll, and Country from the 50s & 60s. I listen to a bit of 70s & 80s as well, but nothing newer than that.

I hate all of todays music.

Jan 7, 2015 8:51 AM

Feb 2014
It's undeniable fact that creating classical music is much harder than producing pop or rap, however it doesn't mean that people can't enjoy both genres.

As for close minded people... I don't really care what others listen to, nor I'm forcing them my taste. Just think of it that they're losing one of the most beautiful thing in this world and that's their damn problem.

As for me I think that I'm rather open minded when it comes to music. I liisten to everything that sounds good be it classical, piano music through metal,punk,rock,rap K-Pop, J-Rock to dubstep,d'n'b and recently chillstep and indie.

Well, there is a one genre that I can't stand and that's pop. Whatever, I'm close minded too...
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jan 7, 2015 11:03 AM

Mar 2012
It doesn't bother me if people are close minded with music, or anything.
Jan 7, 2015 11:21 AM

Aug 2008
I definitely think so. I grew up listening to a lot of progressive rock, and then around middle school/high school, I discovered noise music (Melt-Banana, Merzbow, Arab on Radar, Lightning Bolt, Hanatarashi, Bordeoms, The Flying Luttenbachers, The White Mice, etc. to name a few of my favorites). Of course, noise music isn't a particularly popular genre, but the a good percentage of people I met not only didn't like the music (I didn't really expect them to), but they went on to deny that it even was music. Being told by most people that the music you love and listen to everyday is so bad that it doesn't even qualify as music is rather harsh.

The most annoying closed-mindedness that I come across though is that of people who exclusively like classic rock and such and believe that no listenable music has come out for the past 20-30 years. I knew quite a few people like that in high school.

I try to make a point to be as open minded as possible towards music. I am constantly looking for new music, and I'll give anything a listen. I've come to realize over the years that my taste in music doesn't quite mesh with that of many other people, but I at least try even if it's not something I like.

Due to my persistence, I've been able to find music from almost every genre that I like even ones like hip-hop and pop that I hated for the longest time. I just had to look harder.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Jan 7, 2015 11:22 AM

Nov 2011
slovak125 said:
It's undeniable fact that creating classical music is much harder than producing pop or rap, however it doesn't mean that people can't enjoy both genres.

As for close minded people... I don't really care what others listen to, nor I'm forcing them my taste. Just think of it that they're losing one of the most beautiful thing in this world and that's their damn problem.

As for me I think that I'm rather open minded when it comes to music. I liisten to everything that sounds good be it classical, piano music through metal,punk,rock,rap K-Pop, J-Rock to dubstep,d'n'b and recently chillstep and indie.

Well, there is a one genre that I can't stand and that's pop. Whatever, I'm close minded too...

But didn't you just mention you listened to K pop? Also not liking certain styles doesn't make you close minded. Herding something your not used to and immediately putting it off as not being real music without first giving it a fair chance does.
Jan 7, 2015 11:32 AM

Feb 2014
DragonQuest3 said:
slovak125 said:

But didn't you just mention you listened to K pop? Also not liking certain styles doesn't make you close minded. Herding something your not used to and immediately putting it off as not being real music without first giving it a fair chance does.

Alright but K-Pop is something vastly different from your typical western Pop you hear in radio. for reference google BigBang, G-Dragon, 2ne1, Bangtan boys.

I try to give every song a shot, so in that case you can say I'm open minded.

there, Holyland exists.
Jan 7, 2015 11:34 AM

Nov 2011
Kyzix said:
I definitely think so. I grew up listening to a lot of progressive rock, and then around middle school/high school, I discovered noise music (Melt-Banana, Merzbow, Arab on Radar, Lightning Bolt, Hanatarashi, Bordeoms, The Flying Luttenbachers, The White Mice, etc. to name a few of my favorites). Of course, noise music isn't a particularly popular genre, but the a good percentage of people I met not only didn't like the music (I didn't really expect them to), but they went on to deny that it even was music. Being told by most people that the music you love and listen to everyday is so bad that it doesn't even qualify as music is rather harsh.

The most annoying closed-mindedness that I come across though is that of people who exclusively like classic rock and such and believe that no listenable music has come out for the past 20-30 years. I knew quite a few people like that in high school.

I try to make a point to be as open minded as possible towards music. I am constantly looking for new music, and I'll give anything a listen. I've come to realize over the years that my taste in music doesn't quite mesh with that of many other people, but I at least try even if it's not something I like.

Due to my persistence, I've been able to find music from almost every genre that I like even ones like hip-hop and pop that I hated for the longest time. I just had to look harder.

I like a lot of noise music as well though I'm more into Les Ralizes Denudes and Ramleh than the ones you mentioned and I've gotten to the point where I find peoples reaction to it pretty hysterical. That said though it does piss me off how no matter how hard you try to explain to them about textures they still pretend not to get it.

As far as the people who only listen to Classic rock and think no listenable music has been produced since I used to be one of them and I think this is an issue of only knowing the mainstream side of music because I stand by that modern radio is like deja vu from hell I swear I'm hearing the same songs over and over. I used to think that how popular or iconic a music artist is the better they probably were and while some artists have earned their status their are plenty of music artists who severely got overlooked despite being top quality stuff. I must say I really get annoyed with people who are so attached to what they grew up with and are used to they refuse to give other things a fair chance.
Jan 7, 2015 11:39 AM

Nov 2011
slovak125 said:
DragonQuest3 said:

Alright but K-Pop is something vastly different from your typical western Pop you hear in radio. for reference google BigBang, G-Dragon, 2ne1, Bangtan boys.

I try to give every song a shot, so in that case you can say I'm open minded.
Oh OK well just to put in my opinion I think a lot of 80s pop was very excellent and in comparison to today's stuff it was more diverse with more songs that stood out and didn't just feel like a copy of one another(It was an issue but a much smaller one). It felt more artistic and had better melodies and was catchier or at least to me. That said pop can be a loose term and can refer to anything with a pop structure even if it doesn't resemble the actual genre so I think that's a fair point to take into consideration.
Jan 7, 2015 11:41 AM

Mar 2014
Replace music with anime and it's basically the same thing, some people just don't want to get out of their comfort zone and deny everything around them, some people take it to extreme levels and hate other things that aren't the things they like without even giving them a try sometimes.
Jan 7, 2015 11:47 AM

Oct 2013
Paulo27 said:
Replace music with any form of entertainment, and it's basically the same thing, some people just don't want to get out of their comfort zone and deny everything around them, some people take it to extreme levels and hate other things that aren't the things they like without even giving them a try sometimes.

Fixed that for you buddy :D
Jan 7, 2015 11:50 AM

Aug 2013
The hunger for commercial, radio-friendly I-V-vi-IV music is real.
Jan 7, 2015 11:51 AM

Aug 2008
DragonQuest3 said:

I like a lot of noise music as well though I'm more into Les Ralizes Denudes and Ramleh than the ones you mentioned and I've gotten to the point where I find peoples reaction to it pretty hysterical. That said though it does piss me off how no matter how hard you try to explain to them about textures they still pretend not to get it.

As far as the people who only listen to Classic rock and think no listenable music has been produced since I used to be one of them and I think this is an issue of only knowing the mainstream side of music because I stand by that modern radio is like deja vu from hell I swear I'm hearing the same songs over and over. I used to think that how popular or iconic a music artist is the better they probably were and while some artists have earned their status their are plenty of music artists who severely got overlooked despite being top quality stuff. I must say I really get annoyed with people who are so attached to what they grew up with and are used to they refuse to give other things a fair chance.

I quite like Les Ralizes Denudes as well. The No Wave scene was great too.

The main problem I think that those kind of people (most people actually) have is that they don't really actively look for music, while I spend a lot of time doing so. It's one of the reasons why I stopped being a music production major. The entire major was full of people who thought nothing but classic rock and newer bands that imitate it are listenable, and people who wanted to become DJs. We had a little project at the beginning where we had to present about a person we admired, and everyone was along those lines, and then I came forward with my presentation about John Zorn and Tzadik Records, and I could tell immediately that I didn't quite fit in.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Jan 7, 2015 11:53 AM

Jul 2012
NudeBear said:
mayukachan said:

I feel ya. Went to carnegie hall a few weeks back to listen to one of the greatest young talents of our generation and the hall wasn't even half full lol. One of the cashiers was like, "since you're young, I'll give you front row seats for 12 bucks". He said it wouldn't matter because hardly anyone was there lmao.

In case you're curious, Daniil Trifonov was playing.

Oh wow. :| Yeah I know. And a lot of classical concerts are really cheap or free, but still not a lot of people would go.

There was one time I was reading a Nodame Cantabile review on MAL and one guy said that the show sucked because "classical music is for your grandparents"
Jan 7, 2015 11:53 AM

Nov 2011
Paulo27 said:
Replace music with anime and it's basically the same thing, some people just don't want to get out of their comfort zone and deny everything around them, some people take it to extreme levels and hate other things that aren't the things they like without even giving them a try sometimes.
Especially the issue with people who will only watch anime if its from a certain period like I saw a guy on here assume another guy was trolling because he recommended him Trigun which was a 90s anime. Also a lot of great anime get overlooked because they have unconventional art or animation like Kaiji and Kaiba.
Jan 7, 2015 11:56 AM

Jul 2012
I'm actually watching Kaiba right now and I can see why people stay away from it. It is hard to get into unless you're really into sci-fi and different types of art styles.
Jan 7, 2015 11:59 AM

Mar 2014
Oni_Link said:
Paulo27 said:
Replace music with any form of entertainment, and it's basically the same thing, some people just don't want to get out of their comfort zone and deny everything around them, some people take it to extreme levels and hate other things that aren't the things they like without even giving them a try sometimes.

Fixed that for you buddy :D
Can't really talk about other stuff since I'm not really involved too much in them but even with video-games I don't really see that much random hate towards stuff.
Jan 7, 2015 12:04 PM

Nov 2011
Kyzix said:
DragonQuest3 said:

I quite like Les Ralizes Denudes as well. The No Wave scene was great too.

The main problem I think that those kind of people (most people actually) have is that they don't really actively look for music, while I spend a lot of time doing so. It's one of the reasons why I stopped being a music production major. The entire major was full of people who thought nothing but classic rock and newer bands that imitate it are listenable, and people who wanted to become DJs. We had a little project at the beginning where we had to present about a person we admired, and everyone was along those lines, and then I came forward with my presentation about John Zorn and Tzadik Records, and I could tell immediately that I didn't quite fit in.

I'm not too familiar with John Zorn but I think Naked Cities self titled is an excellent record full of great cover pieces and a few Jazzy Grindcore tunes with Eye on vocals if I recall. Any other albums he was involved with you'd recommend? I'm still fairly new to this scene and still discovering stuff admittively I prefer harsh noise if it has vocals though a lot of them don't at least not in the Japanese scene. Mauthausen Orchestra from what I've heard is largely instrumental and they have some good stuff like that second song on Dedicated to J.B. Goebbels.

Oh yeah though I too get annoyed with self proclaimed music fans who don't actively try out different things I mean that's fine its your choice but kinda hard to think your a true music fan if your like that.
Jan 7, 2015 12:06 PM

Nov 2011
mayukachan said:
I'm actually watching Kaiba right now and I can see why people stay away from it. It is hard to get into unless you're really into sci-fi and different types of art styles.
In those lines its pretty tame compared to Kuuchuu Buranko. I thought it was a little hard to follow at times but it was fascinating enough and emotional enough to suck me in.
Jan 7, 2015 12:11 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:

I don't want to judge book by the cover but that art looks really awful. As visuals are one of the most important things in animation I doubt Kaiba would be my cup of coffe.

there, Holyland exists.
Jan 7, 2015 12:14 PM

Jul 2012
slovak125 said:
mayukachan said:

I don't want to judge book by the cover but that art looks really awful. As visuals are one of the most important things in animation I doubt Kaiba would be my cup of coffe.

Yeah, if you can't handle cartoonish/alien like characters, it'll be hard to sit through.

I'm okay with it though.

DragonQuest3 said:
mayukachan said:
In those lines its pretty tame compared to Kuuchuu Buranko. I thought it was a little hard to follow at times but it was fascinating enough and emotional enough to suck me in.

So far, Ping Pong is the best Yuasa work I've come across with Mind Game and Kick Heart being the worse. Kaiba's not too hard to get into but seeing as a lot of people don't even like Ping Pong, they probably can't watch Kaiba either.
Jan 7, 2015 12:25 PM

Nov 2011
mayukachan said:
slovak125 said:

Yeah, if you can't handle cartoonish/alien like characters, it'll be hard to sit through.

I'm okay with it though.

DragonQuest3 said:

So far, Ping Pong is the best Yuasa work I've come across with Mind Game and Kick Heart being the worse. Kaiba's not too hard to get into but seeing as a lot of people don't even like Ping Pong, they probably can't watch Kaiba either.

I thought Ping Pong was relatively weak compared to Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy. Kick heart to be fair though was just a short.

slovak125 said:
mayukachan said:

I think it looks a lot more interesting than the art of the character on your display pic. I get bloody sick of the same old same old and Kaiba resembles the original anime look but with a modern twist.

Edit: Excuse me if that came off as rude didn't realize I sounded like an ass as I wrote it.
EmperorDemonGavaJan 7, 2015 12:38 PM
Jan 7, 2015 1:13 PM

Sep 2012
Yo people have their niche. Chill out.
Jan 7, 2015 1:23 PM

Nov 2011
hulksWAGON said:
Yo people have their niche. Chill out.
Hulk not know how to chill! Hulk Smash!
Jan 7, 2015 5:37 PM
Oct 2014
I remember when I was in middle school, everyone was listening to either R'n'B or no, everyone was listening to R'n'B and rap.
I started to listen to House music, Swedish house mafia, David Guetta, etc before they became really mainstream. I had to "hide" that I was listening to such things. Then BOOOM everyone was listening to it over a summer and when I came in to a city and began High school. Even my friends back from middle school started to listen to the crap.
Yeah, I think most people just follow the stream, and therefore are close minded when it comes to music. They're afraid that the music is either too old or too weird or to forreign. I have never cared about that shit. I'm not that of an expert of music, but I like when new music comes.

Jan 7, 2015 9:37 PM

Jul 2012
^ Good post!! I agree, actually.
Jan 7, 2015 9:43 PM

Nov 2011
-Skyleo- said:
DragonQuest3, I don't understand why you seem so offended by those so-called "close-minded" people.
And I don't even really understand what you mean by "people". You, me, and everyone are people, no ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad or upset or anything, but I think this thread is quite depressing. Honestly, "circlejerk" is one of the first word who comes to my mind by reading this thread.

I think I know where you're coming from though, but I just disagree with your conclusion. And I don't like in general when someone says "people are like this, like that...", it kind of sound wrong, imo.

I've never liked those 'radio-friendly' music either, and because of it, what I listened the most when I was a kid was video game music, especially some OST from japanese games. I was also a fan of Yoko Kanno's work (mainly Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne). Compared to ALL the music people I know were into, the vgm and anime tunes I listened had a lot of melodies, chords, different types of sound and at that time, I have to ask myself : "Why people are listening to these shitty generic songs ? The songs they are listening are so boring, it's always the same things !".
I was so passionate about the music I listened to, that I then decided to take music lessons, in conservatory but not only. I studied (and still study) classical, jazz and what we call "popular music". And thanks to the theory and harmony classes, I've finally understood precisely what I like the most in music. All the music I adore contains a lot of rich harmonies (i.e "extended chords"), from Ravel to Coltrane, from Gentle Giant to Incognito, from Yellow Magic Orchestra to Soft Machine, From Prokofiev to Herbie Hancock, etc...
This is the thing I value the most in music, and this is also why I'm naturally better to the writing process of music more than the sound for himself, I don't really want originality if there are not rich harmonies.
Once I've found this, I was like :"man, rich harmonies with good melodies is the most beautiful thing ever, people need to understand this. QQ"
Then, in high-school, I've met some kind people (they are my best friends today, we regularly play music together) and they were a lot into funk, disco music, classic rock, blues or modern but funky songs. Not going to lie, I, at first, didn't understand why they loved this so much (some of these songs contains just four chords throughout the song for example).

But after, by speaking with them about this, about what they like and stuff, I understood something else : they're definitely as passionate as me about music, about the music they like, more specifically. It's this way I've finally understood that people don't always value the same thing as you in music (or art in general). You can listen the exact same song as some people and yet, end up by liking this song for a lot of different reason than those people, even if they also like it. It's the same with many other things. For example, I have some "artsy" friends who are like "Wow, this painting of Rembrandt is so great because blablabla", and then I'm like "hey, I like this Rembrandt painting too, but it's not because of that, but because of this".
In the same vein, Robert Glasper said something similar : "One song can make someone extremely happy and at the same time can make someone extremely sad, or that same song could make someone extremely violent. It all depends on where they are in their life."

So yeah, what I was trying to say is people live different lives, in a different environment, they all live a "unique" life in a way. So don't expect people to see things with the same eyes as you. Especially when it comes to art, because art is a very personal thing.

By the way, I listened to some of the songs you consider as "godly, creative or innovative", and even if I think they're interesting, I didn't really like them, mainly because of the lack of rich or jazzy chords. Maybe I will love some of them later, or never, I don't know. But I don't think I absolutely HAVE to like what you consider as significant because what I like makes who I am, but what I don't like also makes who I am.

Also, I'd say that instead of complaining about how people are too closed-minded when it comes to music, maybe you should try to understand them, no ? Perhaps they don't want to be open about what you find interesting because you don't seem open about what they find interesting.
If you try and it still doesn't work, it can mean they are definitely closed-minded about it, but it can also mean they are just not yet ready for this. In this case, let times take its course, otherwise people can feel under pressure and will try to be in your "so unique" stuff at all cost in order to be seen as "open-minded", and finally ended up by never truly like what you share, even if they don't want to admit it.

TL;DR I think it's nice to be open about music. But it's also nice to be open about people.

mayukachan said:

too avant garde to be considered :<

Yeah, they are not really considered as classical.
However, they actually can be linked with some classical composers of the 20th century, like Pierre Boulez. And sometimes, some composers may comes from classical and then move to something more avant-garde like Steve Reich, Luigi Russolo or Marc-André Dalbavie. Sometimes, the contrary happens too, if I remember well, Frank Zappa did a classical music for example... I guess classical is pretty vast and I do think this word can be applied to some avant-garde composer actually.
And even if composers like Schaeffer, Stockhausen or Xenakis are definitely more avant-garde then classical, this is why we study some of their work in music conservatories.

I should've been more specific but really I was more so referring to those who claim to be big fans of music but put down music styles they aren't used to with out trying to understand them. I think before calling something you don't like garbage or asking if it isn't real music you should first try to understand why they don't like it. Like in that Baby metal thread that guy was praising Baby metal for being unique or different but then I posted a Residents song and he asked if it could even be considered real music which to me seems a bit hypocritical. I certainly see no issue with people who are casual listeners and aren't interested in digging deeper but I hate when people claim to truly love music but only listen to certain group of artists probably the ones they grew up with and are used to and refuse to give other styles a chance and look down on the people who like those styles.
Jan 7, 2015 10:35 PM
Nov 2010
Generally speaking, at least in my experiences, no.

I think for the most part people are pretty open minded when it comes to music it just happens to be the minority of music elitist that are the loudest. Then again I am from a city full of pretty open minded people, I imagine in a more rural area or something it would be kind of difficult to find more open minded people.
Jan 7, 2015 11:21 PM

Nov 2011
tstitch33 said:
A lot of people like to deny that they enjoy mainstream music in order to feel elitist. I've been guilty of this from time to time, as I like to think that I'm different from the masses.

That said, there's something wonderful about discovering a genre of music. I never thought I'd enjoy music from anime, whether its the opening or ending themes or something else, and that has truly made me a more open person when coming to musical preference.

You know I don't think I've ever denied enjoying mainstream music even though I feel like I would have in the past. Ive been pretty open that I enjoy a lot of classic rock like Queen and 80s pop like Tears for fears but sometimes I do leave them out when mentioning my favorite bands in order to stress that my main interest is in the avant garde area.

I remember when I used to mainly listen to metal but what got me out of that phase was when I discovered other extreme styles such as Industrial, harsh noise, and power electronics much of which filled the same niches I liked about metal or in many ways gave me what I wanted from metal but couldn't get.
Jan 8, 2015 9:13 AM

Oct 2010
People are stubbornly close-minded about music and much of it is mood based which kinda sucks balls as fucking shit

I love songs i heard few years ago and i wouldn't like them right now because my mind is different than it was before so that sucks. There are songs which i have never stopped loving tho, i guess those are true masterpieces or something? Then again ,not everyone would agree... humans just suck

Its not just the mood too its also how stubborn people are about music. In the end im the most open-minded person when it comes to music and i've picked up so much good stuff from friends and i doubt they have picked much from me because they dont even bother listening to the stuff i send them. Sad.
lots of music -
Jan 8, 2015 12:11 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah, and what surprises me is that these same people can be open minded about other art forms. They'll watch abstract films and of course there's no problem with abstract visual art, but abstract (or even just unusual) music is too much. I guess it makes sense though. Music is more visceral and effects something more fundamental within us, whereas film requires interpretation of what you're seeing. Film is more intellectual and easier to distance oneself from.

Not that I'm actually all that open minded. I like classical, progressive rock and a small amount of jazz, electronic, and the more melodic/harmonic pop/rock. I'm ok various folk musics. I guess that covers a lot but like I said it's a small amount from most of those. I at least give everything an honest try though.
AltairiusJan 8, 2015 12:21 PM
Jan 8, 2015 12:57 PM

Nov 2011
Yes, especially when they're so "dedicated" to a genre.
Jan 11, 2015 11:40 AM

Jan 2014
Then again, when you have a genre with such little variety as such:

It's not hard to see where some people are coming from.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 12, 2015 6:31 AM

Nov 2012
I once read a post on my friend's social media site that said something like it is impossible for someone to like two different genres of music. I reckon this is how most people think, so yes people are definitely very close minded when it comes to music or any form of entertainment for that matter.
Jan 12, 2015 11:21 AM
Jul 2018
ObliviousSenpai said:
I once read a post on my friend's social media site that said something like it is impossible for someone to like two different genres of music. I reckon this is how most people think, so yes people are definitely very close minded when it comes to music or any form of entertainment for that matter.

Well, people need to expand their horizons a bit more.
Feb 16, 2015 10:23 AM

Oct 2012
i agree actually i think people are really snobby about music. people get really fucking snobby about bands they dont like its really obnoxious and dumb.
Feb 16, 2015 12:35 PM
Feb 2014
No. You just ignore those people, and it doesn't even matter who's close-minded or not.
Feb 28, 2015 9:00 AM

Nov 2014
Put simply, too much spotify not enough pandora.
Feb 28, 2015 10:39 AM

Feb 2015
I haven't really read through this thread, I'm just posting my two cents because this is a topic as a musician that is very relevant to my life.

People listen to what they want to listen to, and it reflects their lifestyle very accurately. People like to hear lyrics that they can relate to, for instance(and I mean this more from a psychological standpoint than just ripping on people), people that have self-worth issues often listen to songs about heartbreak and suffering, people that have confidence and image issues like to listen to songs that are about being successful or being a badass, people who fancy themselves intellectuals listen to abstract stuff, and people that do a lot of drugs I notice tend to not even care about lyrics but prefer the construction of the music and a good rhythm and beat.

Musical open-mindedness has less to do with music and more to do with the type of person you are. Adventurous people like new things and tolerate giving music they feel like they wouldn't like a chance, because they do not fear change and they crave discovery. People who do not like risks or have cognitive dissonance issues find it literally painful to listen to new things that aren't in their preferred genres, it's not a wonder that they don't like to explore music, and it hurts them to do so. It's less about, "You should try to listen to new things" and more about "You should stop fearing change in your life". Being close-minded musically is more of a symptom of a larger problem, if you consider fearing new things an issue.

I don't really care what people listen to though. I mean, I listen to pretty much strictly ambient music and techno pop, my taste is hilarious.
Feb 28, 2015 11:10 AM

Oct 2010
lyrics arent music and most of the time they suck

just saying

(this doesnt mean i dont like any vocals or songs it just means i heavily prefer instrumental, as it should be) so not everyone relates to lyrics or even acknowledges them
lots of music -
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» AI generated OP/ED themes from imaginary anime that I came up with. (Over 20 songs and counting!)

FFandMMfan - 4 hours ago

0 by FFandMMfan »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » The Sopranos vs The Wire vs Breaking Bad

DOSS300 - 4 hours ago

0 by DOSS300 »»
4 hours ago

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - 6 hours ago

1 by Amityblight »»
5 hours ago

» What's the worst movie you've ever watched? ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Feb 10, 2017

117 by Otakupervert890 »»
8 hours ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

12 by 56709 »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.