3It was OK
11.5%
2Disliked it
1.1%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.4
87 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2009 9:20 AM
Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really like this now that the reporter and his daughter have a more major role! It seems like a battle between good and evil
Dec 29, 2009 12:26 PM

Nov 2009
to me this is the sickest one yet not in a good way... ew this story line with the aunt and her sister... XP she deserved to die!!!
Feb 2, 2010 10:16 PM
Sep 2009
I caught hints of the aunt's craziness early on, so no major twist there- I just didn't realize she was ax crazy. Or suffering multiple personality disorder. Those were kinda "Oh, crap." revelations, there. ;)

I'm finding a certain liking to the whole concept of using the Hell Correspondance to keep oneself alive; I dunno, maybe it's the idea that in the end, it really was an unavoidable problem, and that just kinda ties things up neatly.
Just my two cents.
Mar 20, 2010 4:45 PM

Aug 2008
So Mina's mother didn't jump off a cliff but instead was hacked to pieces by Mina's aunt? Creepy.

I wonder why Mina's mother was trying to leave the island again..
Oct 14, 2010 12:22 PM

Mar 2010
o.O that aunt is crazy!! geez this episode shocked me .. but it was a good episode !! there was no other choice than to pull the string this time or else she would have died herself ..
Dec 26, 2010 8:04 PM

Jan 2010
Mina's aunt is really crazy, she killed her sister because she is leaving the island??
Feb 17, 2011 2:18 AM

Oct 2008
Creepy!
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jan 19, 2012 9:57 PM

Sep 2010
I suppose she pulled the string out of instinct, but when she died she might not have ended up in Hell. However, by saving her temporary and fleeting life (who knows, she could have an accident and die the next day, within the year, etc.), she now faces an ETERNITY of suffering...
Jan 24, 2012 4:33 PM

Jan 2012
Gaaaah and just when im considering dropping the series, it pulls out an episode like this! Very creepy, the reporter playing a more vital role and getting more air time which someone else mentioned. The aunt was creepy especially with the aunts multiple disorder thing going on D: i was like wow....

I agree with most people here in that this is the first one where it was basically she pulls the string, or she dies... although either way she's getting an 'eternity' of hell whenever she dies.. and that could be whenever!

Well looks like im going to have to keep watching, just wish the show wasn't so inconsistent.. or at least it is that way for me!
May 13, 2012 9:54 AM

Feb 2012
OriginANIME said:
The journalist has the worst luck ever, he just cant stop anyone! xD

It's agonizing that he's getting closer and closer and closer every episode without actually breaking through and saving someone.

But through all that, the two Shibatas are slowly becoming my favorite characters in the series. Just what is Tsugumi's connection to Ai?
Aug 6, 2012 1:07 PM

May 2012
This was rather a nice episode! The main character role's are being changed to the Reporter and The Girl! I've got new hope for this Anime :D
Sep 14, 2012 8:38 PM

Apr 2011
The aunt was unstable and had a sister complex. She did not want to lose her niece, which represented her sister. The aunt also did not want the niece to be hurt the same way as her older sister. The mother that die, I guess she wanted to flee the island, because it was a boring shit hole. The niece wants to pull the string to kill off the aunt... wow, the niece is crazy O_O I only agree with the niece, when she did it in self defense.

I liked how Mina and the aunt were closer before and participated together in the school festival. Sad.
Dec 26, 2012 3:15 AM

Jun 2012
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL omg poor bastard the reporter.....
Jun 14, 2013 11:47 AM

Jan 2012
I miss the punishment scenes. That's my favourite part of each episode but now they cut them out :/
Jun 16, 2013 4:46 PM

Jun 2012
okay so the aunt was a siscon and had mental problems cool. I thought the reporter would be dead when they pushed him luckily not but I feel sad for him solving it for first time and then unexpected event let the girl still make the deal but okay this time was pretty good reason this would be 1 of the cases that I would agree on sending someone to hell.

I miss this punishment scene allot but the anime is still cool. this way it more going in a story way now. but was that small gate you saw at the entrance of the cave not the actual gate way to hell? oh well I guess we find out sooner or later.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jul 16, 2013 1:26 PM
Aug 2012
A game
Jan 3, 2014 12:00 AM

Nov 2013
Wow...this is the first episode in this series to actually make me feel creeped out, sad, and sympathetic.

Creeped out by the fact that the aunt was crazy with her multiple personality disorder playing the role as her niece's mom (aka her sister). Lol at first i actually thought like some crazy stuff would happen and that voice was actually the spirit of the dead sister but i digress.

Secondly i feel sad because of the way everything turned out, like they could've lived happily if for one that crazy aunt dint kill her sister. Yes maybe she would of left the island but she probably would've came back to visit from time to time. It shouldn't have ended this way :(

And thirdly i feel a little sympathetic toward the aunt because she was just trying to protect her niece from experience her sister felt and i also feel bad about her mental disorder.
Jan 25, 2014 8:26 PM

Jan 2010
Well, so much for the moral ambiguity, we're going back to the crazies.

No complains here though. Still, the whole setup was messed up, so there's no one to really blame. I'm really appreciating this show for being able to pull off these kinds of setups so much.
Feb 7, 2014 5:07 AM

Jan 2014
I really like the way this anime is taking, I mean, I knew that it could have not been that episodic, a plot, for being the goodness of 3 seasons, there must've been!

Also, I like the change from evil to good.
The good thing is that you can never, and really never, blame anyone for pulling that string, and for, instead, try to convince to not.

At the beginning, I thought Enma was not happy for what he is doing, but in these last episodes it seems that she can't wait for dragging people to hell...
maybe se has some sorts of obligations.. I dunno
Apr 17, 2014 12:45 AM

Aug 2010
Every episode is more frustrating than the other one. We finally had Hajime convince people that it was the wrong decision, but of course they just had to be FORCED into a situation where it was a matter of life and death. I really dislike that aspect. "Hey, you can die now or you can die later and go to Hell!" How lovely. 2/5.

I wonder if all three seasons will be just this...
May 27, 2014 12:06 PM

Dec 2013
It's funny how Hajime never manages to make people give up on vengeance. lol
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jul 1, 2014 6:23 AM
Dec 2013
He might've had good intentions, but the Shibata reporter guy is quickly becoming my most hated character in this anime, or at least my most hated recurring character. Please go back to your own life and let humans do whatever they want. How nosy. In one episode he talked like he wanted to bring down Jigoku Shojo. I doubt a human being can stop some sort of supernatural entity that is hundreds of years old. I do wonder what will happen to them though.
Sep 26, 2014 2:45 AM

Feb 2013
Really good episode, the twist was pretty obvious though. I suspected that the sister was murdered by the aunt pretty early on.

The way she killed her was really messed up, chopping her legs off so she literally wouldn't be able to leave. Also the fact that shes been talking to her dead body for years was just really creepy lol..
Shape430Sep 26, 2014 2:58 AM
Oct 3, 2014 10:14 PM

Nov 2013
Holy shit was that aunt a nutcase. Now she definitely deserved to die. Recently there haven't been many victims of the covenant who have done anything wrong.

Oct 25, 2014 8:13 AM

Jan 2014
The idea of being separated and left alone drove her insane...
Aug 22, 2015 12:51 AM
Dec 2014
In the last episode, people were saying that the mayor woke up in the boat without being punished because he was innocent. I think so too since the guy who wrote the story about Purgatory Girl a couple episodes back woke up in the boat unpunished and he was also innocent; a victim not a 'bad guy'. But in this episode, the aunt ALSO woke up in the boat unpunished. If we look at it this way, is she considered innocent to Jikgoku Shoujo. The aunt just wanted her family to be safe and happy. Unlike the other cursed characters, she didn't really commit any sins (being greedy, seeking lust, lying for your own gain and someone else's loss) like the other cursed characters (except for murder..) Although, she tried to make her family happy in the most INSANE way, her intentions were not necessarily bad. Great episode, it makes the reader think about the 'bad guy's' perspective.

(Or it might be just because the studio needed to cut their animation budget ORZ we might never know)
Oct 7, 2015 3:08 PM

Jun 2014
Hajime is still persisent in trying to get them not go revenge but to avail sadly.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Feb 11, 2016 7:06 PM

Mar 2011
First "okay" episode for me. Well, I think this was the most repetitive episode since the detective/journalist started to try interfere.
Mar 20, 2016 11:47 AM

Mar 2015
I think about Psycho for a moment there. Talking with skeleton and having 2 personalities

Sep 22, 2016 5:47 PM

Mar 2012
Yandere aunts are scary yo.
Jan 4, 2017 2:14 AM

Sep 2013
I feel bad for the reporter guy. He's trying his best to make a difference and help these stupid people from condemning themselves to an eternity of Hell, but nothing he does works. Gotta be frustrating.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 13, 2017 3:34 AM

Apr 2009
Ever since Hajime and his daughter made an entrance to the show, the quality is not the same anymore.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2017 11:34 AM

May 2015
Damn it aunt! You have one job!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 11, 2017 4:09 PM

Jan 2015
It was funny how Ren and Onna were following Hajime and Ren even threw him off the cliff and that eye was funny too. I like their encounters overall.
Case was pretty interesting. Finally someone who actually needed to use the doll used it. Instead of just doing it for revenge they actaully did it as a safety trigger. That aunt was totally nuts axing her sister, developing a second personality (of her sister) talking to her bones, trying to kill her niece and her boyfriend. Assaulting her boyfriend in the water.
All in all great episode 9/10
Oct 31, 2017 2:09 AM

Sep 2012
darkerealm said:
So Mina's mother didn't jump off a cliff but instead was hacked to pieces by Mina's aunt? Creepy.

I wonder why Mina's mother was trying to leave the island again..

it was hinted before, new man in her life
Oct 31, 2017 2:14 AM

Sep 2012
MoeXtreme said:
I miss the punishment scenes. That's my favourite part of each episode but now they cut them out :/

issue is u can't punish the crazy cause crazy doesn't understand the punishment u know what i mean, so no need for punishment scene cause the one going to hell is crazy
Oct 31, 2017 2:19 AM

Sep 2012
last time i so creepy SH like this story was when i watched Higurashi no Naku Koro ni :D
Feb 17, 2019 6:58 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
what a crazy lady oO
First persons he pursuad into not doing it had to do it for self difense D:

Jun 14, 2019 5:38 AM

Sep 2012
Yiuumii said:
what a crazy lady oO
First persons he pursuad into not doing it had to do it for self difense D:

second really, first one was stalker case where cop was stalker aftet highschool girl
Sugram22Jun 14, 2019 6:33 AM
Jan 16, 2020 1:08 PM

Jul 2008
So Mr. Reporter how were you going to convince the Aunt out of this one? Were you going to stay and watch the girl for the rest of her life?
Mar 21, 2020 5:29 AM
Feb 2020
How was she able to hear the aunt talking from that far? Oh I know!! Its so she was put in a situation where she had to choose between instant death or death after suffering. Amazing!! Definitely didn't want at least one episode where someone didn't curse themselves for no reason. Yay!!
Jan 12, 2021 11:19 AM

Mar 2019
Again, our man keeps fails every time he tries to save someone, though he kind of succeeded this time but Mina was dumb and went in her aunt's room, which lead to her almost dying.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

May 18, 2021 8:02 PM
Apr 2021
Hmm, this show's finally getting to me. I'm pretty pissed off that that situation had to play out like that. I wonder if Hell Girl will ever start to feel guilt for creating situations like this? The aunt was crazy and needed to be locked up, but in that moment, it would have been acceptable to kill her in self defense instead. However, Mina and Yuuji were unarmed and too shocked to do that, so their only choice was to use the doll and thus Mina had to end up going to hell eventually when she didn't do anything wrong.
Nov 11, 2022 11:04 AM
Dec 2017
another ok episode i would sday.

Mar 12, 2023 12:27 PM

Sep 2017
This one couldn't have been helped, the aunt was a literal psychopath.
I did notice that however, like the mayor in the previous episode, she didn't go through any torture before waking up on the boat. I'm guessing that this means she really was a good person?
خ
May 27, 2023 9:33 AM

Sep 2012
Fatephile said:
This one couldn't have been helped, the aunt was a literal psychopath.
I did notice that however, like the mayor in the previous episode, she didn't go through any torture before waking up on the boat. I'm guessing that this means she really was a good person?
like i said before, no point to torture some1 who has lost their mind, only sane person understand punishment  

Re-Watching 

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

78 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.