Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 13, 2011 4:51 AM

Aug 2009
The last 30min are pure epicness ! Many new scenes, and a story quite different.
Amazing movie, can't wait for the next.
Jan 23, 2011 4:50 PM
Jul 2009
Probably if you like Sheryl than Ranka then you'll also like this movie and if not then you'll probably hate it.
Fortunately, I prefer Sheryl than Ranka as a character so I love this movie. Can't wait for the next one.
Jan 29, 2011 8:37 PM

Jun 2008
That was beautiful. I definitely enjoyed it. I liked movie Sheryl version better than series version, so thank goodness. Hopefully the second installment will have more Ranka development since I love her to bits.
Jan 29, 2011 10:02 PM

Jun 2008
Top tier animation...possibly the best I've ever seen, with the exception of a couple quality faces. Sheryl seems a tiny bit tsundere here, but it wasn't too bad. Overall good movie, though a few literally "huh?" moments prevented it from being a masterpiece - or as close to it as Macross will ever get. Which is pretty close, but its storytelling (while good) has never exactly been the stuff of legends. Music was great as always, but someone really fucked up on the mixing. I can understand the vocals being loud, since the two characters are actually singing, but the overly loud guitar sounded horrid and out of place. Lack of epic Aimo was lame.

Overall worth the long wait to get my hands on this. Not exactly my favourite movie ever, but I'd recommend it to any fan of the series.
Feb 19, 2011 8:45 PM
Aug 2009
Very great movie.
Altough if i havn't watched the serie i would have no clue what was going on with the whole ranka stuff.
something movie adeptions usually tend to have.
Mar 30, 2011 1:22 PM

Jan 2009
Gilliam was even more useless than in the series. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Fuck yeah! Segway racing!
So, anyway. Some parts were really inconsistent, mostly due to the time limit, I guess.
Aaaand I'm guessing it'd be pretty hard to understand most of the story if I hadn't watched the series, so it doesn't really do a good job as a stand-alone alternate version.
And too much Ranka, as always. And she was singing way too much.

Negative comments aside though, I enjoyed seeing moar of mah Sheryl, and that alone is enough to watch this. Nice boat, btw.

Oh and, Lion. Shut up Ranka, I'm trying to listen to Lion D:
And what's up with the snow? Isn't that like more or less impossible? Unless it's ash or something. But ash doesn't melt >_>

Anyway, with things as they are, I want the next movie to come out on bluray already.
Edit: Mikhail survives. What is this I don't even. He'll die in the second movie, right? He can't possible survive.
OosranMar 30, 2011 1:29 PM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Apr 4, 2011 12:41 AM
Feb 2011
Oosran said:

Edit: Mikhail survives. What is this I don't even. He'll die in the second movie, right? He can't possible survive.

If you want to know about his fate in the second movie (and other deaths):

Apr 12, 2011 1:12 AM

Apr 2010
THAT WAS EPIC! Had the biggest chills and goosebumps while watching it :) :)
damn satisfied.
Apr 23, 2011 9:17 AM

Sep 2009
Awesome movie with pretty good pacing. It could have had more action, but that's easily forgiven by the fact that Sheryl made out with herself the nice concerts the great fighting that was there.
May 24, 2011 9:48 PM
Dec 2009
TBH, I would be so **wking confused if I did not watch the TV series of MF. Glad I did, since they skipped a lot of scenes, it still made sense cause I just put the pieces all together from the TV version. I actually like this movie, cannot wait for the second part, I especially loved the concert, the first one, it was amazing. Glad I decided to watch this. I love how they're emphasizing SherylxAlto more and how she actually has a hidden power in her for singing just like Ranka, the knew scenes with Alto and Sheryl was nice, but I was like wow, when Alto pushed her. Weirdest thing ever, seeing a girl get pushed down onto the ground, or even getting hit.
JKMay 24, 2011 10:04 PM
tag©.androgynous
Jun 25, 2011 8:23 PM

Apr 2008
Love that Mikhail didn't have to die this time.
Love that Grace isn't as malicious.
Love the CG.
Love AltoxCheryl.

Considering how good the the second movie promises to be and how fantastic this re-imagining was, I don't think I'll ever watch the TV version again. It was dissapoint.

Though I'm still holding out for 'Ozma would rather have pineapple salad instead of medical treatment moment'.
Oct 30, 2011 3:03 PM

Jul 2008
Whooo now that the second part is out subbed, i finally had no hesitation in watching part one >_<

overall it was pretty good to watch, the retelling wasnt so bad,for not having to watch Macross in a while hahas
Animation was amazing as always

tho i think its better to at least have watched the series first, to get a bitter understanding of plot and characters felt a bit rushed iono
Nov 3, 2011 10:17 PM

Nov 2010
Just came back and noted the new uploaded pic -- just who the hell put up the bootleg version???
I play, the haters lose.
Nov 14, 2011 8:59 AM
Aug 2011
Sheryl was smoking in this! There was more and better ecchi in the first half of this than in some real ecchi series. And those songs! Fucking epic.

...But this was very shallow entertainment. Everybody other than Alto, Sheryl, and Ranka may as well have been cardboard cutouts and the plot just came across as an excuse to have singing and explosions. I have to admit I still immensely enjoyed this but there is nothing in it that actually made me think or made me want to come back to it.
fancyplantsNov 14, 2011 9:13 AM
Nov 23, 2011 10:05 AM

Nov 2007
I love this movie. this was the first time that i liked the movie of a tv series anime. mostly, they turn off the story, but in this, they covered it up.
The Animations and Songs were damn great! the whole time I was watching I can't keep to not be amazed.
Sheryl. i missed you! AHHH~ Sher was so hot here.. :DD
Dec 9, 2011 6:33 PM

Feb 2010
This movie was pretty good I liked how they retold the story in a different way I might have enjoyed this more than the TV series so ill give it a 9/10
Sheepshaman.png
Dec 13, 2011 11:33 PM

Apr 2009
Disappointed. A lot of eye candy to oggle at from my 1080rip, but it was a much duller experience than what I watched of the series a couple years ago. Not sure if I'm so excited as to spend a couple more hours to get part 2.
Mar 18, 2012 1:51 AM
Feb 2012
Sheryl. Yei. Sad they didn't include the vibrating-phone-in-locker-part. If you know what I mean.

That slap to Sheryl was all Ranka's fault. Go die.
whatevnMar 18, 2012 3:40 PM
Aug 3, 2012 11:06 AM

Jul 2009
amazing animation.

im freaking speechless, the insert songs are amazing, the animation is godlike, the pacing is awesome and non-stop, the introduction of characters seems more natural etc.

i think there's only one scene the copy and paste, other than amazing stuff.

it seems after in the park, everything changes from the TV series there.

i don't remember Alto hitting Sherry and raining.

also the plot seems to be change, i don't remember Shreyl having Ranka's memories, who was the sherry looking mother besides ranka(with green hair)??

im actually surprise i was able to notice alot of things change despite not watching this series for 2 years now.

i was also surprise Mikhai almostl died in that scene, guess it'll be in the next one or not???

Grace seems to be much nicer here?? or will she reveal her true self on the next movie???

also LOTS of FANSERVICE!!!!!!!!

Ranka in a bikini construction, and her bra says "Under Development" LOL

Grace showing her Luscious body, boosoms and nipples too!!!!!

Sheryl is the star of this movie, lots and lots of creamy ass moments, her boosoms seems to be much bigger, especially when she took alto's pendant put it in her boosoms. i also notice the songs are more focus on her with Ranka in some scenes.

the songs are electrifying, my skin shiver at every songs or it could be just the aircon. probably both :P

more intense battle moments, the firing of the Macross cannon was sweet!!!

love it, definitely much easier to follow, although it might look like it was rush to some since the focus were mainly on the main cast and not alot of the side cast like Klan, Mikhail etc.

speaking of Klan, i have forgotten how big she can be O____O

im intrigue on how the next movie will unfold, will it change the ending of the TV series, or a new ending will fold??

the excitement i cannot contain!!!!!!

ALSO SHERRY AND RANKA 1080P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

definitely a 10/10 for me :P

Gundam Seed take notes :D
SomaHeirAug 3, 2012 11:14 AM
Nov 14, 2012 5:14 PM

May 2010
Are all Japanese concerts like this?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 14, 2012 5:16 PM

May 2010
PrinceHeir said:
also the plot seems to be change, i don't remember Shreyl having Ranka's memories, who was the sherry looking mother besides ranka(with green hair)??

See Macross Zero. She is the grandmother of Sheryl
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 30, 2013 8:19 PM

May 2010
For a rehash it did pretty good. A ok recap of the show and some improvements at the end. The new story parts make a bit more sense then the whole ranka thing in the tv version.
Feb 3, 2013 10:34 PM

Jul 2008
A very good rehash remake of the first half of the series. Wonderful animations, battles and singing so I can't ask for much more than that.
Mar 11, 2013 4:18 PM
Sep 2011
Good movie but i still can't stand Sheryl. She is so annoying!! Ranka is million times cuter and have much better singing.
Jul 27, 2013 7:45 PM

Mar 2012
This was imo how the TV series should have done things, the TV series had too bland and straightforward of a story, I mean for god's sake Sheryl was thought to be a spy in this version! There was deceit, suspense, and above all so much amazing action. What's really a plus is how each romance scene they had also contributed to the overarching plot, like with Brera hidden behind the shadows reporting to Grace, where as the TV series just tried to create a generic RomCom from the romance for at least 12 episodes.

I wasn't all that interested in the romance that much in the TV series, because I felt Ranka was the generic moe character that's present in every other anime, and Sheryl was her polar opposite and the two of them formed a common love triangle. However, because each character acts a lot more mature, and practically enjoyable, I'm really interested in it now.

My own concern, why wasn't this done with the original series!?!?!?
Anywho, 9/10

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Aug 5, 2013 8:45 PM

Oct 2011
The movie is very good. The animation quality, the action and fighting scenes, the soundtracks are all top-notch.
But since I finished the complete Macross Frontier series just yesterday, I couldn't enjoy the movie at all. Not because it is boring or because I've just seen what is going to happen some days ago, but because they changed way too much.

The whole backstories were different, the character relationships became different too. Now Sheryl was suspected of being a spy? wtf? And Alto even believes it, treating Sheryl bad for a moment without any evidence. Now, out nowhere the earrings really convey feelings and Alto can just see Sheryl's past and her current feelings and whatever..
There were way too many changes for the worse in comparison with the original show so that I couldn't enjoy the movie's story at all.

I believe if you only watch the movie without any knowledge of the whole show, then it might be great.

Oh and I don't know why they did it, but Sheryl's songs on her first concert in the movie didn't sound good at all. She had a very electronic sounding voice in those songs.
I'm glad they used the "old" songs from the series in her second concert and if I'm not wrong, then there were one (or two?) new songs in her second concert that sounded as good as the other ones. :)
RiukixDAug 5, 2013 8:48 PM
Dec 20, 2013 2:57 PM
May 2013
This was so much better than the TV series.
Nice troll at the end @ Mikhail.
I hope the sequel won't disappoint me.
Feb 25, 2014 8:14 PM

Jun 2010
Visually stunning but - reading the other comments I don't know if I watched a different movie - but the story in its composition didn't make any sense. Not the slightest bit. It was just one convoluted mess.

WTF was that? That is no story - that is just a huge clusterfuck. You can't even say that you need the knowledge of the series, because the most of it is not applicable to this composition. At least not if you expect a coherent storytelling.

And there was no natural flow between the scenes - nothing - the scenes seemed to be arranged like someone just chopped them up and randomly taped them together. Ok the actiony parts were quite good, but for the rest... even without knowing the series - you just could tell where they left things out, because of the large gaps in the storytelling.

Sorry but - no - neither if I think of it as some kind of recap nor as a original storyline I could attribute it being good. It was awful, but at least nice to look at.
AsturaetusFeb 25, 2014 8:36 PM
Sep 8, 2014 3:58 AM

Sep 2013
Imo, this movie is a bit more refined than the TV series.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Nov 11, 2014 9:37 AM

Sep 2013
Yeah, this was what 'Do You Remember Love?' was to the original Macross. It took all the good parts of the TV-series and dumped away the bad ideas, and refined everything even more to be 'Cheese: The Space Opera'.

Visuals were amazing, although it's slightly aged. It was released back in 2009 after all. Some of the top animated shows look just as good, most of the time, nowadays.

I'm pretty excited for the second movie, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Apr 20, 2016 6:35 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty much what I wanted from DYRL in terms of pacing thanks to it being two movies. Decent stuff. It's good that they knew what to axe and what to keep. If the 2nd movie doesn't disappoint then this will be easily the better iteration of Macross Frontier.
Jan 31, 2019 8:49 PM

Mar 2016
Wow. This was really well put together, oddly beautiful and somehow an emotional watch for me. I thought that I forgot most of Frontier, and that it was only an okay Macross entry, but this was nostalgic and new and really, really good.
May 16, 2020 12:35 PM

Feb 2012
So who's side is Grace on in this one? Is she gonna double cross Brera?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 26, 2020 5:39 PM

Aug 2017
Pleasantly surprised by new scenes (everything at the beginning involving Ranka and Sheryl - initial meeting, Ranka's segway, Sheryl's concert and freefall, etc)

Also that enlistment ceremony xD

Alto talking about Sheryl losing an earring in the cockpit when they didn't even fly a plane..? They cut the locker scene >_<

Noticed Klan and her friends in the mall!

Really liked the extended ad footage Ranka was doing, especially the shameless insert of VF models xD

when Alto chased Ranka when she was sad and he almost got hit by a car
and the driver said "God Damn it" i laughed out loud !

Spilled my tea

The earring was surely not in the place Sheryl visited even once.

"Formation M F Jenius" hahaha

Lewd Ranka on Kamelia's ship was replaced by lewd Sheryl

Overall enjoyable reimagination, let's see what's in the next movie

P.S. I wonder if some of the locations in the city are based on the real ones...especially the shops.
P.P.S. Cute moment with Ranka and Alto riding a tram with the Moon ("love") in the background.
St0rmbladeNov 12, 2020 7:33 AM
Oct 25, 2020 10:31 PM
May 2017
I must say it's disappointing gundam wannabe.
Yes it tagged as singing anime but half baked, the lyric is so flat.
Tagged as action but it's half crafted and i cannot feel the thrill of massive galactic warfare.
And what is most annoy me is green hair girl design like some curly dog. Really an eye sore.
The song flat to boring, so poor composed.
It's not deserve 7,but 6.
I regret to watch it.
Nov 20, 2020 11:43 AM

Aug 2008
I'm on Macross F rewatching spree and decided to try the movies again as well. I was reluctant because I remembered they left a very bad impression on me, especially the second one but I couldn't remember why I haven't rated the first one after I saw it when it came out. I thought it was probably a mixed bag and just couldn't decide but now, after seeing it again, no idea why.

I forgot how bad it was. Some of new combat scenes are marvelous but music didn't mesh with action even a fraction as well as in the series. As for the plot... my brows hurt from furrowing them. TV series had trouble squeezing in the whole story in only 25 episodes and here they added even more unnecessary subplot on top of mixing things up. DYRL was an amazing improvement on the original series but this move is just an unnecessary, incomprehensible mess. Now wonder Delta turned out to be complete garbage. Sings of upcoming downfall were already present.

Let's see if second one is as bad as I remembered it.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 17, 2021 9:55 PM

Jan 2010
To preface, before going into the first Macross Frontier film, I understood that the films were similar to the Evangelion Rebuild movies in terms of being retellings of their original shows. They'd have similar characters, similar settings, but a different plot that would greatly diverge after a while. For Macross Frontier, knowing the in-between moments, character interactions, and plot details were greatly helpful with how quickly the film transitioned from scene to scene. However, since the film also introduces elements known much later in the television series, as well as introduce new plot elements that weren't present, some information is no longer applicable to the film's story.

So far, I'm seeing a lot of emphasis on Sheryl's character, much more than the television series. Additionally, Alto's issues with being an actor is much more succinctly explained here, in addition to being explained through Alto himself. In the television series, he was constantly running away from his past, refusing to even acknowledge it. Here, he not only acknowledges his issues, but explains them to Ranka, giving them a dynamic they didn't quite have in the television series.

Actually, I like a lot of the additions to the film. Ranka already knows Alto and his classmates from the beginning, making Sheryl the only late addition to the cast. This way, instead of Alto meeting both Sheryl and Ranka for the first time around the time of Sheryl's first concert, the story could justify Ranka's infatuation with Alto as a long-standing sentiment. In the television series, Alto had saved Ranka from the initial Vajra attack, and saved Sheryl after he accidentally knocks her off the stage during his flying performance, with both instances as the first times he'd come into close contact with both of them. The film's approach differentiates both the girls' circumstances, providing some variation to their introductions.

On that note, instead of Alto knocking Sheryl off her stage, Sheryl purposefully jumps off her stage, betting on Alto catching her before she needed to use her hidden jets. This, along with how she wanted to continue the performance even after its interruption, gives her a much better character interpretation. She has a much stronger command of the stage, she's much more confident in messing with Alto, and she has a seemingly stronger work ethic, as opposed to just driving off during the same event in the television series.

The film also addresses a prior question I had in the television series: how did Ozma not know of Ranka's family lineage? I'm not sure of how much it was addressed, but I assume that Ranka at least knew of her own name, but took on Ozma's last name "Lee" when he adopted her. If Ranka had full amnesia and couldn't even remember her name, then I wonder if she just didn't have any form of identification on her. Or, rather, if there were no records left after the 117th Research Fleet was destroyed, as I assume information was suppressed by Grace. Then again, it's a wonder of why no one recognized the name Grace O'Conner immediately. At least in the film, Ozma already knows of Ranka's family history, which fixes the problem of no one knowing who Ranka was. It also makes sense that Sheryl knows Aimo, as both Sheryl's grandmother and Ranka's mother were researching Vajra. I never thought of that before, but it actually fits really well.

With Sheryl and Grace, the film makes both of them out to be spies from Galaxy, which makes sense as I have no idea how Sheryl was unaware of Grace's undercover activities in the television series. Here, it makes much more sense for Sheryl to not only be aware, but also involved in the conspiracy regarding the Vajra. That being said, it then throws into question why Galaxy is seen as an antagonistic force to begin with.

Watching the film, I just realized that Ai being attracted to Ranka actually stems from Ranka's Vajra connection. That actually makes a lot of sense.

Sheryl had both her earrings while singing Iteza Gogo Kuji Don't Be Late after essentially purchasing SMS to rescue the Galaxy. She's supposed to only have one after loaning the other to Alto. It could have been a hologram recording, or it could have been a fake used as a substitute, but it's probably stock footage messing up continuity. Regardless, it's interesting that Sheryl is shown to have comparable Fold manipulation strength to Ranka at this stage of the plot. In the television series, it wasn't until very late into the series did Sheryl show any signs of Fold manipulation, and even then it was minor compared to Ranka.

Overall, I don't think a viewer could go into the Macross Frontier film without watching the television series first. There's way too much skipping around, as well as assumed knowledge that's needed to connect plot threads. An example would be the Ranka Lee flashback to her mother and Brera, which was used towards the end of the television series, rather than roughly in the middle of the plot as was in the film. Though, it may be hard to identify him as a child, so I suppose it'd more so brings the question of "who's this random boy?" for a person who hasn't watched the television series. Throughout the film, there's a lot of this where there's enough new information and developments that anybody could go into the film, treating it as a brand new Macross entry. Yet, at the same time, it's hard to navigate the plot without first knowing Macross Frontier, so it's hard to say.

Well, anyways, onto Wings of Goodbye.
Jun 16, 2022 11:50 PM

Apr 2016
it played at a theater tonight, so i went to go watch it. this is the first time i've ever sat down and seriously watched anything from Macross. i had seen clips from the original series (i think) a long time ago. i've heard the premise before and i'll see Macross stills here and there every once and while, but i've never taken the time to check it out.

it kinda got off to a rocky start. but once i started figuring out what was going on, i began to like it. i liked the transforming aircraft WAY more than i thought i would hahaha. also, the music got a lot better as the movie went on.

i didn't know that this was a compilation movie until i started looking stuff up just now. i was also surprised to find out that it's an older movie. i thought this was a recent release to celebrate an anniversary or something. anyways, it definitely made me wanna start watching Macross hahaha. i guess i'll just start at the beginning and work my way back up to this movie. it seems like it might be like Gundam, where there are different series from different viewpoints and timelines that don't always intersect.
L-S-M-F-TJun 16, 2022 11:54 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Blu-Ray/DVD coming tomorrow, any subber for it yet?

KaminaKai - Oct 6, 2010

23 by Confucius »»
Nov 12, 2012 9:06 PM

» is it a sequel or a remake?

zaj - Oct 28, 2008

17 by Blackbird »»
May 13, 2010 12:03 PM

» So anyone seen it yet? (potential spoiler)

KaminaKai - Nov 22, 2009

8 by keideki »»
May 12, 2010 2:03 AM

» Which sub group do you watch it on?

mikeemosh - Nov 29, 2009

5 by KaminaKai »»
Jan 6, 2010 8:37 PM

» Movie? No thanks, try MUSICAL

Fareplay - Feb 2, 2009

6 by removed-user »»
Nov 1, 2009 5:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.