Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 23, 2009 5:11 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was pretty good. Not as amazing as I would have hoped for but seeing as it's only the first part of two, I can somewhat forgive it. I went into this movie not knowing that it would be two parts and skeptical that they could sum up the whole series in two hours but contrary to what I expected, there were lots of nicely drawn out and slowly paced scenes. The characters are introduced much quicker, with Ranka and Alto and everyone already acquainted, but the slow building of the romance between the love triangle is pretty well developed. There are lots of plot changes and rarely is there recycled animation. And some of the newer set pieces are fantastically large, maybe even too-fan-servicey so. My favorite upgrades were to the concert scenes. The choreography and designs were amazing. But in the end this movie didn't move me with it's innovations the way the series did. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't wowed by it. I guess if I was hoping for a scene to rival the finale of the series, I'll have to wait for the sequel. : )
Nov 23, 2009 5:24 AM

Jul 2009
i didnt watch it,but u mean that this is a movie remake and not a sequel?
Nov 23, 2009 5:25 AM

Jun 2008
Yup, it was a rehash of the first half or so of the series.
Nov 23, 2009 5:40 AM

Jun 2008
From reading it here and on ANN it sounds like a bit like "Macross ~Do You Remember Love?~" where it a remake with some original stuff.

Will I want to watch it? Of course I would.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Nov 23, 2009 11:35 PM

Jan 2007
I thought the movie was great though I didn`t hold the series as high as you did so my expectations were probably much different. But yeah, my favorite change was also the upgraded concert scenes and choreography. Just being able to see it on the big screen made a lot of difference.
Nov 24, 2009 5:02 AM

Dec 2007
Agreed, the movie was great, although I'm not sure if I prefer the TV version (which got a 10 from me) or the movie yet. As has been said, the upgraded concert scenes were absolutely stunning,and so was the last battle. I was like "Kitaaaaー" when the Lion intro started lol.
Pacing was imo nice aswell, with some really good character/love triangle development inbetween the aciton packed beginning and ending.
Needless to say, animation and music were top notch.
Nov 24, 2009 5:45 AM

Jun 2008
I only just realized something great about the movie, which is that:
Nov 29, 2009 2:14 PM

Mar 2008
I wish there will be a cam-rip of this like the 2nd evangelion movie =.=
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2010 3:04 PM

Jul 2007
CREEPY GRACE-SAN IS CREEEEEPPPPYYYYY~ >0<
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Oct 13, 2010 1:57 PM

May 2009
I liked it a lot.
Good to see that they decided to make something different with the movie, instead of the usual recap.

Now I'll just have to wait a year until I get to see Sayonara no Tsubasa... I wonder if it's going to be a sequel to this movie or the series;?
Oct 13, 2010 3:22 PM

Apr 2009
Wondering if the sub came out.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Oct 16, 2010 1:07 PM
Jun 2009
Loved it. The love 'triangle' was much more downplayed here as opposed to the TV series. Ranka and Alto's relationship became almost completely brother and sister if not for her crush and the strange way the end was done. Sheryl and Alto's chemistry became that much more sad and beautiful and alot more focus was put onto it than in the TV series.

Oct 19, 2010 6:52 PM

Jul 2008
I just watched the raw, and it was much better than what i expected(i expected a recap with some new scenes). I really liked the way the triangle was shown, it was better than the series. Now i just hope the second movie will have a definite ending unlike the series that had material to continue.
Oct 24, 2010 11:59 AM

Jan 2008
Brilliant CG and sound. And I thought that nothing will surprise me after Unlimited Blade Works in that aspect. Plot was decent. Very good 2h long amv.

4/5

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Oct 25, 2010 1:51 AM

Apr 2008
Sheryl fangasm the whole way

Oct 25, 2010 12:00 PM
Jul 2010
I wasted my time watching this, here is advice , if you saw Macross Frontier TV series don't bother watching this movie, kthxbai.
Oct 25, 2010 2:14 PM

May 2009
^Seriously, what did you expect from a recompilation?
Oct 25, 2010 6:35 PM
Sep 2010
1080p Sheryl derriere.

Next movie, Firebomber Custom VF-1?
Oct 25, 2010 7:41 PM
Aug 2009
The only reason I watched this movie was to get this question answered..

and all I got was nothing.
Oct 25, 2010 10:34 PM

Aug 2007
I dunno how you guys can't have love this movie!! It was way better than the TV series overall and its not even over.

No annoying high school crap, and Sheryl is actually relevant to the Varja plot other than SPACE AIDS and also totally awesome? So much more enjoyable than the second half to the series!

You're crazy if you didn't love this.
Oct 26, 2010 2:34 AM

Sep 2008
peacecraft said:
I dunno how you guys can't have love this movie!! It was way better than the TV series overall and its not even over.

No annoying high school crap, and Sheryl is actually relevant to the Varja plot other than SPACE AIDS and also totally awesome? So much more enjoyable than the second half to the series!

Agreed. The TV series is much convoluted. I'm pretty satisfied with how they remove most scenes from the series for the first half of the movie, and added new content on the second. Even so, there were still room for good character interaction and the movie didn't feel rushed at all.
Oct 26, 2010 6:54 PM

Oct 2008
idlezeal said:
peacecraft said:

Agreed. The TV series is much convoluted. I'm pretty satisfied with how they remove most scenes from the series for the first half of the movie, and added new content on the second. Even so, there were still room for good character interaction and the movie didn't feel rushed at all.

Agreed. And i'm surprised that they removed a whole lot of scenes from the TV series but was still able to make it awesome.

5/5 from me.

Oct 27, 2010 2:19 AM

Jul 2008
I loved it! They pretty much took out everything from the TV series I disliked and made all of the characters in the OT3 way more likable. The concerts were great and the action was awesome, too. The OT3's background was better explained, too. I got more out of this than I did from the actual first half of the TV series. I'm anxious to see how they handle the ending. Will they actually have Alto-hime choose someone this time around?

The only reason I can imagine someone not liking it if you are more invested in the side characters since the movie didn't really focus on them.

BEGINNER
Oct 27, 2010 5:08 PM

Nov 2007
BrentD said:

Next movie, Firebomber Custom VF-1?

btw sheryl has a nice ass

i was interested in that vf also xD

i loved it when they did the daedallus attack XD my fave move XD

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Oct 27, 2010 9:46 PM
Jul 2009
I love the details and effort put into this movie,
in my opinion, this remake triumphs over evangelion remakes.
Oct 28, 2010 2:39 AM

Jan 2009
wow this is definitely better than the TV series so good only complain i could say about this is the drawing and animation for the characters are not movie quality but rather look like on the TV series too but damn the 3D aerial fights are outstanding
Oct 28, 2010 11:25 PM

May 2010
Pretty good, I just didn't like how they used footage from the Tv series, but it blended in fairly well without looking too odd like the Zeta Gundam movies so it wasn't that big of a deal. I really liked how they used the "Lynn Minmay 2009" "Firebomber 20??(I don't remember)" and so on. It makes anyone who has watched the other Macross series appreciate it more. The dogfights were awesome too.
Oct 29, 2010 3:14 AM

Sep 2008
Thoroughly unimpressed with this, It visually looked alot better(even thought it didn't really need to look better), but everything else seemed to suffer, First of all, this had to be the most terribly edited movie I've ever seen. Parts cut from the series stood out like a sore thumb, when Alto fought the Vajra for the first time, I almost laughed as it suddenly went from day time, to night time, then to dusk in all like 5 minutes.

On top of that the copious amounts of Fanservice was not needed and annoying at best and the character changes where even worst. I loved Sheryl in the series but found my self mostly annoyed with her(due to fact that now she's a fucking marry sue). Also why did they just shove her into about every single scene. And Ranka was pretty unimportant in the series now it seems like shes really unimportant now.

I spent the majority of this movie rolling my eyes , cringing and hoping it would end soon.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 29, 2010 3:54 AM

Sep 2010
3/5
It almost felt like you have had to see the series first to have a chance to understand everything, and then it still makes little sense.
I get the feeling they crammed to much in to it thusly watering down the plot. About the only pro this has against the series is the great artwork.
Oh and where the f... was the scenes depicting the Zentreadi uprising.
Oct 29, 2010 7:30 AM

Nov 2009
found the series too slow this one was bit better also some songs of may'n are awesome

dont like ranka tho
blauwOct 29, 2010 8:05 AM
Oct 30, 2010 9:16 PM

Apr 2010
Loved it!! Even though it is basically the same one as the TV series, I'm very happy that they didn't just settle with just adding or changing scenes but actually incorporated lots of changes in the actual story..

Considering that it's just a 2hr movie they did very well in cramming all that story in there, the movie never felt rushed for me, the pacing is just right and still the character developments were never left out.. that's amazing in my book.. nice job!! :)

The strong points of the movie is still the songs/concert and battle scenes.. and I'm glad they didn't use many recycled scenes from the series w/c what I would expect to see from a recap.. the finale was awesome, almost in par with that of the series, hope they do a great job for the next movie's finale..
Oct 31, 2010 10:58 AM

Jun 2008
inb4, movie>series!
Oct 31, 2010 3:09 PM

Sep 2007
Gah. I had my hopes far too high.

I hated a lot of things about this movie: the choppy pacing, the uber simplified plot, Sheryl's face in every single scene, the huuuuuuge plotholes and sheer illogicness that they had covered up before, the way they cut cut out everything that gave the TV series any sort of depth, but what I hate most is that they pretty much wrote Ranka out of the plot. They even went as far as giving her song - Aimo - to Sheryl. Wut. No thanks.

I don't have anything against Sheryl, but this movie kinda made me hate her. I want my OT3, dang it, not an OTP+Ranka.

Graphics were fantastic, so was the sound, but the new songs seriously sucked.
Nov 1, 2010 6:08 PM

Oct 2010
Great movie.
Graphic improved a lot. More detailed and "realistic" future. Awesome Sheril live stages. Believable Vajra units.
Music is also great. I like new Ranka's CMs and "Sou da yo" a lot. New Sheril songs are pretty much the same though - astronomy terms, english words and no meaning.
Story is kinda rushed and simplified but I think it's still solid and quite clear even for those who never saw original series, - yeah, you will miss something but will not be left without a clue like with the UBW movie(no one except hardcore Fate/ series fans should watch it). And I am interested in how story will end now because some details are already quite different.
Nov 2, 2010 1:00 AM

Dec 2007
Just finished it. Half the complaints in this thread are BS.

This is Macross Frontier part one...if you change a CRAPLOAD of stuff around, introduce characters sooner, add new parts, remove superfluous bits...there's no way you watched this and thought it's the same as watching Frontier unless you expected different characters on a new Macross.

Secondly, the plot makes a LOT more sense to me, watching this version of it over the original. I can't tell if this is because I've seen the series or not though.

Also, the parts from the series stick out? ...How? More BS. They only stick out in that you KNOW what they are--the art was ALL touched up, unless you watched a poor encode on a crappy monitor.

I wasted my time watching this, here is advice , if you saw Macross Frontier TV series don't bother watching this movie, kthxbai.

Obvious troll is obvious.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Nov 3, 2010 4:28 PM
Dec 2007
Itsuwari no Utahime is a simplified recap of an average series, nothing more. The script, while being upgraded a bit in its second part (and less chaotic and ridiculously overplayed compared to the series), is now extremely simplistic and devoid of any true rhythm while the direction didn't evolve a bit and editing was close to Eureka seveN Movie's disaster. I guess you can't change Kawamori so easily, even though he clearly wanted to correct his series' flaws and make a good movie there. But the bad thing is that the two factors that made the original series interesting, the visuals and the music, are both much less efficient 2 years after, the first one being quite significantly dated and subpar for a feature film and the second not using Yoko Kanno's marvelous BGM as well as it could. Among all those issues, only the last twenty minutes of battles intertwined with Sheryll's concert really shine.

Anyway, one thing is sure after watching this Macross Frontier Movie - Itsuwari no Utahime : this movie is not Frontier's Do You Remember Love, and Frontier itself is far from the original Macross. Too bad.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 3, 2010 4:43 PM

Sep 2008
SageShinigami said:
Just finished it. Half the complaints in this thread are BS.

This is Macross Frontier part one...if you change a CRAPLOAD of stuff around, introduce characters sooner, add new parts, remove superfluous bits...there's no way you watched this and thought it's the same as watching Frontier unless you expected different characters on a new Macross.

No one did, the changes where just bad, not because they changed, but because they where horrible choices to make.

Secondly, the plot makes a LOT more sense to me, watching this version of it over the original. I can't tell if this is because I've seen the series or not though.

Yea and the plot seemed worst to us.
Herp derp "my opinion > your opinion" seriously grow up.

Also, the parts from the series stick out? ...How? More BS. They only stick out in that you KNOW what they are--the art was ALL touched up, unless you watched a poor encode on a crappy monitor.

So your lack of perception is our fault now?

Obvious troll is obvious.

I like how troll has become the new code word for "some one who doesn't like some thing I like."
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Nov 3, 2010 10:26 PM

Dec 2008
I thought I was in for a complete Macross Frontier story retelling, I was wrong.

The plot in this movie feels fresh and while some of the anime's scenes remain, the movie is more focused on Sheryl and gives her the true spotlight she deserves. Also the movie doesn't feel rushed and eveything is explained clearly. The animation was bested and there are new insert songs as well, that maintain the same quality we've seen on the original anime. The only thing that was sort of a let down for me were the lack of battle scenes. There are only two main battle scenes that, if put together, add up to only 15-20 minutes (the movie is 120 minutes long) of action.

Anyway, I loved the movie and can't wait for the sequel (I'll have to, probably 'till 2012?)
Nov 6, 2010 8:33 AM
Mar 2007
I have to ask... This is a little spoiler about what happened in the movie... so

Nov 8, 2010 4:05 AM

Oct 2007
I really loved it, but there were parts where Sheryl didn't seem like herself, like she was OOC, and it bothered me a bit.
Nov 8, 2010 6:27 AM

Aug 2010
Fantastic, of course, Macross Frontier is my favorite series.
I thought they meshed it all together pretty well and it ended with some cool action.
Just want more Ranka, but Sheryl really showed something too.
Nov 9, 2010 7:24 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Wow, that felt short for 2h movie. Great pacing.

The story lacked though, no detail. I would've expected more from the title. Other movies manage to put more story into 90 minutes. Anyway, stunning visuals as always.

I'm looking forward to the second movie. Hope the story will be better, should be, regarding the story.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 14, 2010 10:25 AM
Nov 2009
oridistor said:
I have to ask... This is a little spoiler about what happened in the movie... so

This contains info from the series, but seems to be valid for the movie as well

Nov 15, 2010 10:37 PM

Oct 2007
nothing terribly new, but i did like the new sequences they put it, so much more detail than the show
Nov 29, 2010 9:47 AM

Aug 2007
I was seriously astonished by the animation fluency. Damn. I didn't pay attention to weird background stories like turning day into night, if you pay attention to that, then there's nothing to enjoy. Put your minds on zero and enjoy this epic awesomeness already. Because that's what this is. I loved the Macross Frontier series and this was a pretty nice recap without the annoying high school stuff. Plus new songs! And damn, giant Sheryl fanservice... Still, it fits with Sheryl. I felt more chemistry in the movie (at least coming from Ranka) to Alto, but also with Alto and Sheryl. Yeah, nice recap. Probably the only recap I'll ever like (and the next one).
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Dec 13, 2010 8:26 AM

Jul 2008
The next and final film needs to come out now!!!
Dec 16, 2010 6:36 AM
Sep 2010
For a compilation movie, it was great.

I expected to see a lot of old footage but was pleasantly surprised that over 90% of the footage was new.
Dec 16, 2010 9:10 PM

Jun 2010
For me, the movie was better than the TV series.

While I loved the series at the beginning, somewhere in the middle it started being mediocre.
I expected the movie to be more similar to the TV series, but it had many differences. Including that Sheryl was accused as a spy or that she knew 'Aimo' - The story made better sense in here.
Some parts however, were a little rushed, like we didn't saw the first encounter of Alto with Ranka, it jumped immediately that they knew each other from before.

The animation was amazing, I just loved Sheryl's first entrance and her new costumes.

I can't wait for the second movie now.
Dec 31, 2010 1:34 PM

Nov 2008
Amazing! I can't find any appropriate word to describe how I feel after watching this movie! I'm already big fan of SDF Macross and Macross Frontier but WOW! I'm even bigger fan than before!

I'm waiting for the second one now. First Premiere in february and then a DVD release!!

Jan 2, 2011 11:43 AM

Jan 2010
i LOL'd

when Alto chased Ranka when she was sad and he almost got hit by a car
and the driver said "God Damn it" i laughed out loud !
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Blu-Ray/DVD coming tomorrow, any subber for it yet?

KaminaKai - Oct 6, 2010

23 by Confucius »»
Nov 12, 2012 9:06 PM

» is it a sequel or a remake?

zaj - Oct 28, 2008

17 by Blackbird »»
May 13, 2010 12:03 PM

» So anyone seen it yet? (potential spoiler)

KaminaKai - Nov 22, 2009

8 by keideki »»
May 12, 2010 2:03 AM

» Which sub group do you watch it on?

mikeemosh - Nov 29, 2009

5 by KaminaKai »»
Jan 6, 2010 8:37 PM

» Movie? No thanks, try MUSICAL

Fareplay - Feb 2, 2009

6 by removed-user »»
Nov 1, 2009 5:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.