Forum Settings
Forums

Is listening to subbed anime helping you learn Japanese?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 3, 2015 10:47 PM

Sep 2014
Actually it did help me quite a bit of Japanese. I can watch Anime without Subs and understand most of what's going on. I'll probably seriously learn the language when I get the time.
Jan 3, 2015 11:01 PM

Sep 2012
yeah, when I have sex I'll know how to say kimochiiii~
Jan 3, 2015 11:17 PM

Jul 2013
Few words from here and there but that's it. I'm sure if i kicked myself and would continue studying then watching anime would really help out learning the language but i'm probably just too lazy to study.
Jan 3, 2015 11:25 PM
Jul 2014
Basic phrases are the only thing I learned from anime but the openings and endings are where I pick up most of the words. After about of year of watching I can understand sentences with simple words without subs
Jan 3, 2015 11:39 PM
Jan 2015
I think it depends on how well you already know the language. If you're already familiar with Japanese grammar and sentence structuring then yeah you could probably build your vocabulary as you'd actually be able to recognise nouns from verbs etc. Otherwise I doubt you'd learn more than the usual greetings etc.

I think I got more out of 3 YouTube lessons than I did years of anime. Hirigana lessons before Dragonball marathons!
Jan 3, 2015 11:49 PM

Jul 2014
Just a little lol, very little
Jan 3, 2015 11:53 PM

Oct 2014
Reading subtitles will not help you learn Japanese. If you mean listening to Japanese helps you learn Japanese then my answer is yes. Although it sometimes might produce weird grammar but I'm sure 90% of everything spoken is correct.
Jan 3, 2015 11:55 PM

Jan 2013
Jan 4, 2015 12:22 AM

May 2014
Most definitely, yes. I've been watching animes for roughly 1 year and a half, while always paying attention to what is being said, besides reading the subs. Of course I don't know anything about Japanese grammar, but I can understand a lot of simple lines, already, to the point that sometimes I don't even need to read the subs to understand the conversation.
Jan 4, 2015 12:26 AM

Nov 2014
You can learn a few words here and there but actual sentence structure,grammar and speaking full sentences probably no
Jan 4, 2015 12:28 AM

Oct 2013
NOPE French is easier.
Jan 4, 2015 12:50 AM

Dec 2014
I learned how to say "I'm sorry" "Thank you" and that whatever gon says when he is excited in HxH.
Jan 4, 2015 12:56 AM

May 2014
Fierce_Deity22 said:
NOPE French is easier.

Technically, French is considered one of the most difficult languages out there, much harder than Japanese (whose greatest barrier lies in the sheer quantity of its symbols). My mother language is Portuguese, another romantic language, Portuguese and French differ as much as English and German, but I find le Français much harder to grasp than Nihongo. But that isn't the point of the topic, is it?
Jan 4, 2015 1:01 AM

Jul 2014
I've been taking Japanese classes for 4 years now and it made me realize that anime has only scratched the surface.
Jan 4, 2015 1:01 AM

Sep 2013
Yes, it helped me improve a lot on the common words of Japanese.
I can speak most of the basic words now, the only hard part is to make correct sentences
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2015 1:24 AM

Jan 2015
I have been learning Japanese for a while. It's impossible to learn Japanese from just anime, but when you actually start learning the language you'll notice it will be way easier when you regularly watch anime.

It's like that with every language. To become good at a language, just studying won't get you anywhere. Imagine trying to become good at art by just reading books about it and watching tutorials on YouTube. Impossible, right?
Jan 4, 2015 1:51 AM

Aug 2014
To an extent like I know what "I don't want to die" is.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jan 4, 2015 1:56 AM
Jan 2009
I took a few semesters of Japanese but we mostly learned the non casual forms and stuff. Watching the shows subs helped me start to realize how to use the casual form. Now I can listen and sometimes understand whats being said without reading the subs. But yeah without those classes I doubt I would have been able to pick anything up aside from the occasional vocal word...
Jan 4, 2015 1:59 AM

Apr 2013
Of course it helps. WHen you study a language, it's important to immerse yourself in it. Reading text directly in that language, listening to music in that language, to radio, to TV programs, AND playing games /Watching movie or cartoon in that language all help you to learn. Watching anime alone doesn't lead to a progress in Japanese. Even if you think you learned words, you aren't really learning them, cause you don't know how they're written. However, if you're properly studying the language outside of this, then this will help you for listening comprehension as well as pronunciation. This will also help you remembering the words you properly learned outside of this by hearing them and therefore making use of what you learned.
Jan 4, 2015 2:00 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Of course it helps you. Constant exposure to a language will make you pick up on things, that much should be self-explanatory. However since it'll only provide a very basic and somewhat uneven understanding of it so it's still very limited. That being said if you keep watching anime and/or reading VNs for several years then that alone will take you quite a long way if you're paying attention. It will only help you vocally however, you'll have to practice reading it on your own.
Jan 4, 2015 2:00 AM

Apr 2014
Certain phrases I know well enough that I get their meaning without having to think of the translation, but pretty much nothing outside of that.
Jan 4, 2015 2:01 AM

Aug 2014
Basically

Jan 4, 2015 8:30 AM

Apr 2014
i think i know more Japanese than english atm, joking but still yeah i learn the basics
Jan 4, 2015 9:40 AM

Aug 2012
Zefyris said:
Of course it helps. WHen you study a language, it's important to immerse yourself in it. Reading text directly in that language, listening to music in that language, to radio, to TV programs, AND playing games /Watching movie or cartoon in that language all help you to learn. Watching anime alone doesn't lead to a progress in Japanese. Even if you think you learned words, you aren't really learning them, cause you don't know how they're written. However, if you're properly studying the language outside of this, then this will help you for listening comprehension as well as pronunciation. This will also help you remembering the words you properly learned outside of this by hearing them and therefore making use of what you learned.

Pretty much this.
It does helps. But you won't go anything far if anime is your only reference. At very least, pick words you heard most frequently and looked it up on Google or something, learn how to spell it correctly or when or what you supposed to use the words for. Something like that. Me personally think, learning that way is the most fun way.
あの海を遠く遠く見渡す その向こうに新しい世界が見えた 幻想のように

Jan 4, 2015 7:55 PM
Jan 2013
Not really
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Jan 4, 2015 9:49 PM
Apr 2014
I've only started watching anime a short time but I can tell you that I've picked up a good amount of Japanese words. Some words sound a lot like Chinese words, so it's easy for me to pick them up. :)
Jan 4, 2015 10:12 PM

Feb 2008
Anime doesn't do shit unless you're already learning the language on your own. And I mean studying grammar guides, learning kanji and what not. Understanding 10 words is useless.

Even if you are studying the language, you have to keep in mind that fansubs are incredibly inaccurate and will probably only lead to misunderstandings if you take their lines at face value. You would have to watch the anime raw and manually search up the words you don't know if you wanted to gain anything from it.
Jan 4, 2015 10:20 PM

Aug 2014
Only some common word
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Jan 4, 2015 10:26 PM

Jul 2012
rawrlsy said:
I've only started watching anime a short time but I can tell you that I've picked up a good amount of Japanese words. Some words sound a lot like Chinese words, so it's easy for me to pick them up. :)

Yeah, same. Since, well, Japanese is based off Chinese :P
Jan 4, 2015 10:51 PM
Nov 2010
Nah, just watching anime won't help you learn Japanese. I only started to have a good grasp of Japanese (probably around 20 to 30%) after trying my hands at translating a Japanese game. Anime alone can't help you learn the grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary etc.
Jan 4, 2015 10:55 PM

Sep 2013
Not unless thou art actively studying Japanese besides watching Anime.
Jan 4, 2015 11:19 PM

Apr 2011
It is a method, yes. But it can only take you so far.
Jan 4, 2015 11:28 PM

Dec 2012
Depends on how good the subs are.

From what I've seen, you can learn basic words and phrases. But you can't learn proper sentence structure let alone the entire language just from watching the animumu
Jan 5, 2015 12:00 AM

Apr 2011
Objurgo said:
Depends on how good the subs are.

From what I've seen, you can learn basic words and phrases. But you can't learn proper sentence structure let alone the entire language just from watching the animumu

On the contrary, I'd say the sentence structure can be learned just from watching anime. I mean, it's not really that tough to be honest.
Jan 5, 2015 12:04 AM

Dec 2014
Watch anime with subs can also your oral skill in Japanese. But depends how good the subs are, cuz one word in Japanese can have several more subtil meanings
Jan 5, 2015 12:08 AM

Nov 2011
ghoullovesharem said:
Watch anime with subs can also your oral skill in Japanese

watching Nisemonogatari certainly helps with your oral ''skill'' ;)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 5, 2015 2:50 AM
Mar 2013
I've seen enough anime by now that I don't need subtitles to understand the majority of what the characters are saying. In terms of holding a conversation I can do it well enough.

The problem is that by learning japanese through an anime you don't understand the proper sentence structure and grammar. So for example I might actually use the past tense of a word when I actually mean to use the present tense form.
Jan 5, 2015 8:42 AM

Jan 2015
Lately I haven't been watching as much anime as playing Japanese video games. And I haven't dedicated myself to studying Japanese in a long time. So not really...

Though, it does help me not forget some words. The other day I was watching an anime and it helped refresh my memory. I noticed I had almost forgot a word. They said it and I was like "oh yeah, that word means that."
Jan 5, 2015 11:01 AM

Nov 2010
Mr7Beans said:
all i know is oppai

if you don't... you're not a anime fan! :D

who doesn't like oppai? raise your hand (so we can trow books with oppai at you!)
Jan 5, 2015 6:08 PM

Jan 2015
kickthebucket said:
who doesn't like oppai?

I don't.
Jan 5, 2015 6:11 PM

Jun 2014
FairyTechnology said:
kickthebucket said:
who doesn't like oppai?

I don't.

Too large = just too large.

Avoid ze extremes.
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Jan 5, 2015 6:16 PM

May 2014
ghoullovesharem said:
Watch anime with subs can also your oral skill in Japanese. But depends how good the subs are, cuz one word in Japanese can have several more subtil meanings

You mean more animes, more BJs??? Gosh, I'll get my girlfriend into watching anime right away.
Jan 6, 2015 3:29 AM

Aug 2014
FairyTechnology said:
kickthebucket said:
who doesn't like oppai?

I don't.

I like normal oppai. Actually I don mind either way, it's the personality/legs that count.

Jan 6, 2015 5:27 AM

Sep 2014
Many common words have stuck to me, but with them I can't do anything much. But it's still fun to know something.

And I never learn anything by reading grammar, and I watch so little, so I haven't got any chance to actually learn japanese.
Jan 6, 2015 5:28 AM

May 2013
You'll never learn to form an actual sentence you can use in regular circumstances.
Jan 6, 2015 9:41 AM
May 2007
I say it's rather a good motivator but not a source
Jan 6, 2015 12:45 PM

Dec 2013
Just random conversational phrases but it's not really any appropriate medium to get a proper Japanese language lesson.
Jan 6, 2015 12:56 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
You will only learn some words/phrases, but you will never learn basic skills from the language.
Jan 6, 2015 1:07 PM

Dec 2011
Well personally I've been following subs since I was 10 (I started speaking English when I was 8 more or less)... Nothing serious, there were just some "adult" anime on tv, and some for kids. For some reason they were not dubbed 10 years ago. At least not ones I watched. Since like 7 years ago and when I got internet I am actively following it on different sites with sometimes short, sometimes long pauses. Me learning some of Japanese on my own may have helped, tho I only learned few words and some grammar plus hiragana/katakana/kanji, but recently I catch my self not even following subtitles. I simply can understand what they are talking about based on few words I recognize, image in front of me and the tone of voices. Ofc I can't tell you what each word meant or put it into words myself but I do get it. Which is rather weird. That's how I pretty much learned and perfected English. I was taught only basic things in school. Then spent like 10 hours a day watching cartoons that were not dubbed or subbed and few months later I found myself speaking it on a level of a child born there. Ofc I didn't know everything, and school still helped me develop it further, especially in understanding how to use the grammar and language, and not just understand what they mean. I owe a lot to Jetix. I feel same is happening with Japanese, difference being I don't have any basic knowledge so I simply learned to recognize phrases based on few words that I know what they mean... c:
Jan 23, 2015 7:44 AM

Aug 2014
You can if you like to translate some words/sentences you hear often in anime (or read in manga raw) to check if the group who translated it didn't make mistake ;d
I do that ;P
You can also play VN without english translation with Translation Aggregator
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

87 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

45 by T3NLTD »»
9 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 9 hours ago

39 by traed »»
14 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

38 by Zalis »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 7 hours ago

25 by Otakupervert890 »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.