Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Elhanburg no Tenshi Chapter 5 Discussion

Jan 1, 2015 4:39 PM

THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
And the final chapter...

It felt rushed imo but overall was consistent with its themes so I'll give this a 6/10 for being passable. Really wish they focused a bit more on the story though.

Apr 23, 2015 2:58 PM

In the afterward, the author mentioned how she originally only intended to make a one-shot but her editor persuaded her to make it into a mini-series. It didn't really help though because the lack of backgrounds, locations, war scenes and what I can only assume to be shoujo-josei limitations meant the story just jumped from conversation to conversation as years passed. The charactersation was excellent, but yeah: it needed story/setting focus. It came across like a low budget film in manga format that was too restricted to reach its potential. Not even sure what the significance of none of Lalvan's children and their children being able to see the angel was, or the point of the angel at all. Or what even happened to the king and his children after Lalvan became king.

Also: like someone else mentioned in the ch4 thread, I couldn't tell the difference between Madeth and Perseus... which was made more confusing by the story fast-forwarding to Madeth in a prison cell after seeing Perseus.

May 22, 2015 6:25 AM

AironicallyHuman said:
In the afterward, the author mentioned how she originally only intended to make a one-shot but her editor persuaded her to make it into a mini-series. It didn't really help though because the lack of backgrounds, locations, war scenes and what I can only assume to be shoujo-josei limitations meant the story just jumped from conversation to conversation as years passed. The charactersation was excellent, but yeah: it needed story/setting focus. It came across like a low budget film in manga format that was too restricted to reach its potential. Not even sure what the significance of none of Lalvan's children and their children being able to see the angel was, or the point of the angel at all. Or what even happened to the king and his children after Lalvan became king.

Also: like someone else mentioned in the ch4 thread, I couldn't tell the difference between Madeth and Perseus... which was made more confusing by the story fast-forwarding to Madeth in a prison cell after seeing Perseus.

This.

I liked it for what it was, but damn, I think it would've been awesome as a real series.. Love Aki's style and ideas, but there is so much potential for longer series..

Jan 10, 2016 8:36 AM

I agree with what everyone said, the flaws and that it would have been great as a longer series like an epic manga with 50-100 chapters to show what needed to be shown.

But I still really liked it. The last line that when Lalvan died none of his descendants could see the angel really hit me in the heart somehow.