Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2009 11:48 AM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great Episode. I love this anime.
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Nov 23, 2009 4:42 AM

Jan 2008
Lots of drama! All the main characters now have full knowedge of the truth. What will they be able to do against the insane crown prince?
Nov 25, 2009 7:08 AM

Apr 2009
Loved it. Can't wait for the next episode.
Nov 26, 2009 9:34 PM

Jun 2007
Awesome episode, the next one is gonna be great :D

magentaanbuNov 26, 2009 10:07 PM

Nov 28, 2009 7:07 AM

Nov 2008
Hurray for Kiriku ^^

Still worried about what Erin though
Nov 29, 2009 10:38 AM

Nov 2008
Awesome episode, the drama is really coming to a boiling point.

Dec 9, 2009 1:42 AM

Jul 2009
Crazy episode!

Damiyah...always knew he was a sneaky little bastard, but still...wow.
Anyone else surprised Kirik didn't give Iaru the antidote to the poison after he broke down? I guess that would be too simple though...
Dec 12, 2009 9:06 PM

Apr 2009
wow, this plot is really airtight. I almost completely forgot about the egg thieves from like 40 episodes ago! Fucking Damiya is a magnificent bastard, emphasis on the bastard though.

Clairseana said:
Crazy episode!

Damiyah...always knew he was a sneaky little bastard, but still...wow.
Anyone else surprised Kirik didn't give Iaru the antidote to the poison after he broke down? I guess that would be too simple though...

MY guess would be that it takes time and effort to prepare both poison and antidote so of course Kirik wouldn't have anticipated preparing enough for the person whom he was ordered to poison anyway, let alone have the presence of mind to carry some on his person while in hot pursuit and in battle mode.

Also, pretty damn sweet fight scene.
Dec 13, 2009 7:19 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Good episode.

A lot of dramatic buildup...

And finally some Erin x Iaru next episode.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 14, 2009 11:42 AM

Aug 2007
Damiya told his plans so easily to Ial... What a fool he is. Nothing beats Ial. Well, that's what I want to believe. Damn, Damiya is simply more than he looked like. I think it's really awesome that this anime really has a story in it and even wants you to remember a lot of the first episodes.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Dec 14, 2009 8:16 PM

Jun 2009
Indeed, the story is woven together nicely.

Damiya trying to marry Seimiya is creepy... being her uncle and all. She's worried about being "defiled" by Shunan? Doesn't get much worse than with Damiya...

I'm slightly disappointed by Damiya's motivation for doing all of this (to return the world to how it's supposed to be, blah blah blah). It's humanly realistic (and characteristic of him), though, along with the manner in which he carried out his plans (stealing the Touda eggs, abusing his position, etc). Just shows how far one man with the right connections will go to satisfy his conceited ideals.

I thought Kiriku would give Ial the antidote, too, but taking a closer look at the scene it looks like there was only one "piece" of it. Ial is lucky to have hit the right notes to mentally tackle Kiriku. I was afraid Kyle and Ial were both going to die (by the episode's end), leaving Erin to fend for herself.

Finally, the characters are becoming aware of Damiya's true intentions. Now Erin just needs to know.
Currently blogging: Kemono no Souja Erin
http://blog.thepechinator.com
Dec 15, 2009 9:34 AM

Aug 2008
Did Kiriku never stop to consider anything that he was doing? He seemed to be caught totally by surprise by what Ial was saying to him, despite him mentioning how Erin is like his sister. If that's the case, then I'm a little disappointed that someone who's as scheming and manipulative as him was brought down so easily.

Besides that, I liked the episode a lot.
Dec 15, 2009 8:11 PM

Apr 2009
noteDhero said:
Did Kiriku never stop to consider anything that he was doing? He seemed to be caught totally by surprise by what Ial was saying to him, despite him mentioning how Erin is like his sister. If that's the case, then I'm a little disappointed that someone who's as scheming and manipulative as him was brought down so easily.

Don't underestimate the power of a person's ability to rationalize anything to himself. I figure Kiriku seemed like the true believer type only at the very beginning. He seemed to waver ever since he went to Kazalm. I'd even surmise that it took him more effort to keep convincing himself that what he was doing was right rather than wrong.

When an external source gave voice to his own doubts (Ial), the sudden realization that your life's work and efforts were truly wrongheaded which you knew on a base level would be enough to break any man.

He kept trying to convince himself that he was working to preserve the purity of the nation, or at the least some Utopian ideal of it. Even if it meant the sacrifice of a girl that seemed to live all of the virtues that he espoused...well, I guess that had been tearing him up for the longest time no matter how much he tried to rationalize.
Dec 15, 2009 8:20 PM

Aug 2008
That's what I'm saying. It looked like he was trying to rationalize the whole time. So for him to sound taken aback, instead of voicing that rationalization was shocking/illogical to me.
Dec 15, 2009 8:23 PM

Apr 2009
If it were me I'd be like: GET OUT OF MY MIND!!

But Kiriku was probably just too shocked to say shit.
Mar 12, 2010 6:49 PM

Jul 2008
Gross Damiya. Just gross. I hope Lilan takes a bite out of you, you bastard. -_-
And maybe take a dump on Seimiyah for agreeing.

I'm glad that Kiriku came to realizing the wrong path he had taken. It sucks that it had to be after he poisoned Iaru. _O_

Anywho, looks like next episode is going to be great, too. I love the title. Futari no Kizuna (The bond between the two.)

Erin x Iaru rabu rabu powa~! *_*
SpectralWonderMar 12, 2010 6:54 PM
Mar 17, 2010 5:21 PM

Feb 2009
I am so glad Kiriku eyes finally open, no matter all the wrong thing he did, I had a feeling the death of his sister blinded him.
Jul 16, 2011 12:11 PM

Jun 2010
Kiriku made a tray of candies for Damiya? Well, it's interesting to see him having interests not strictly related to his job as assassin/spy.

I'm not impressed by Damiya's spilling the beans to Ial like a cheesy villain. Even if he thought that Ial couldn't possibly escape, telling him all those things was pointless and foolish...and suspiciously convenient for the plot.

Also, Kiriku's sudden breakdown was a bit much. His sympathies have been moving toward Erin for a while, so why do we need a big, overly explicit turning-point (the shots equating Tahya with Erin and Damiya with Kiriku's step-father were especially heavy-handed)? This series has been better at subtlety than this.

It feels like the story is rushing, maybe because there's only five episodes left now. But that wouldn't have been a problem if the Kazalm part of the series hasn't taken so damn long. I don't think it'd have been hard for this to have been episode 40 instead of 45.
FronzelJul 16, 2011 12:14 PM
Sep 14, 2011 2:53 AM

Sep 2008
Fronzel said:
Kirik made a tray of candies for Damiya? Well, it's interesting to see him having interests not strictly related to his job as assassin/spy.

I was hoping the candies were related to his job, and that they were secretly laced with poison. If baking, candy-making, and cooking were Kirik's hobbies, though, I wouldn't really be surprised. Having a reputation as a good cook or baker would only be beneficial to him if he needed to poison someone through food.

Anyway, his "revelation" at what Ial said did seem a little over dramatic. There have been so many instances throughout the story where he had flashbacks/memories of his sister crop up when he was around Erin, so, as others said, it seems a little strange that he seems so shocked when they come up again here.

Anyway, I'm still loving this series. It was just another great episode, IMO. Damiya was being a lame, "Oh-I'm-so-freaking-awesome" buttface, but when hasn't he been one? Seimiya's accepting his proposal only perpetuates his arrogance and egotistical nature.

KanjouSpectrum said:
Gross Damiya. Just gross. I hope Lilan takes a bite out of you

Exactly.

Looking forward to what looks like some promising Ial x Erin scenes next episode~
Sep 14, 2011 9:56 AM

Jun 2007
Fronzel said:
I'm not impressed by Damiya's spilling the beans to Ial like a cheesy villain.

Now that, 40+ episodes in, the series has FINALLY found itself a plot with a visible goal that each episode is edging towards, Damiya has revealed himself to be yet another power-crazed villain. Booooring. He's already started talking about how everyone around him - family included - are his tools to be used, so he just needs to smirk whilst men are killed and women are raped to truly become the 1D villain he is.

...Honestly, though, I can't blame him too much for looking down on the queen and princess. They exist only to be used by others; they're too stupid to do anything of note by themselves. Semiya accepting her UNCLE'S proposal, as well as seemingly leaving all of the governing work to Mr. Sinister, only proves what a silly little girl she is. I'd be sorry if her "love" ends up marrying her, instead of someone with half a brain still intact. She may very well prove to be a good 2D lay, but aside from that...

Fronzel said:
Also, Kiriku's sudden breakdown was a bit much. (the shots equating Tahya with Erin and Damiya with Kiriku's step-father were especially heavy-handed)? This series has been better at subtlety than this.

I'm still not sure what the point of focusing so much on him, throughout the latter half of the series, is. His backstory consists of a few seconds of grainy footage which has been repeated so much I don't give a toss (fuck you, Tahyu!). For someone who's supposed to be an intelligent spy, did he REALLY need someone he didn't know to spell out to him that he'd been used by a cunt of a man, and hurt a pure girl in the process?... UGH, THIS SERIES IS FULL OF IDIOTS!!!!!!!!

Also: the story has been so subtle that I've yet to be surprised by anything relating to Damiya... or anything in general, really, since the rest of the series consisted of animal-love slice-of-life.

Fronzel said:
It feels like the story is rushing,

It only feels that way because, for the first time, since episode 40ish something other than Erin learning about life/raising wolf-birds has occurred. I assure you: it's still fairly slow-paced, thanks in no small part to the shocking amount of re-used footage. IT'S ALL AN OPTICAL ILLUSION!!!!

If the series had moved at the pace it has in the last fifth of its duration and focused more on the political side, it might have been worthy of the 8.43 average score it currently has. Without the filler and poor attempts at mid-episode AMVs, at least 3/4 of the novels could've fitted snuggly into 50 episodes--light novels only lasting for around 200 pages, if memory serves. Heck, depending on when the novels finished being released, the entire story probably could've fit!
AironicallyHumanSep 14, 2011 10:00 AM
Jun 10, 2012 1:54 PM

May 2010
She is marrying her own uncle? No one even had a say about this? What abou the queen her self?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 11, 2012 6:16 PM

Apr 2011
Confucius said:
She is marrying her own uncle? No one even had a say about this? What abou the queen her self?
Different culture and specially in royal history. They marry inside their family line.

Only thing that's worth talking about is, Iaru won't like sharing Erin with Kirik
Mar 11, 2013 11:39 PM
Jan 2013
What Damiyah and Kirik don't know is that the Seh-zan have hardy constitutions... and it looked to me as though Ia-lu mostly pretended to drink, only when Damiyah had his eyes closed. Remember when he was poisoned by the tohda?
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Aug 9, 2013 2:26 PM

Nov 2011
Wow, so that bastard is manipulating Erin with blackmail and threatening her friends...? What a douchebag. I hope Lilan or someone puts a stop to him soon.
Mar 24, 2014 4:18 PM

May 2012
No way Ial got poisoned... I really hope he'll live! Let's see what's next though.
Jun 24, 2014 12:00 AM

Aug 2013
Feed Damiya to Lilan? The poor beast lord will have a stomache. Drop him in a pond full of cranky touda.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 17, 2014 8:57 AM

Nov 2009
How is it that he didn't notice until just now that he was A) Being used by Damiya B) Damiya was evil and C) Erin was being restricted by Damiya . . . That makes no sense =/.
Feb 14, 2015 10:28 PM
Aug 2014
Looks like Damiya has a bit of a god-complex. Though maybe Ial should've killed him after he heard his plans, but he isn't the kind a person that could someone in cold blood.
Jul 8, 2015 1:21 AM

Jul 2008
noteDhero said:

Besides that, I liked the episode a lot.

Or so easily manipulated...everyone in this series but Damiya is way to naive and gullible.
Mar 30, 2016 11:48 PM
May 2010
I think that Kiriku was slowly realizing it himself but didn't want to believe it, then he ended up being pushed over the edge by what Ial said.
Nov 18, 2016 10:36 PM

Jul 2009
Nice episode, and didn't realize that Kirik would finally admit his sins. Ia-lu sure is one tough guy though surviving the poison.
Jan 14, 2017 8:08 PM

May 2015
Does anyone know the name of the OST at 9:57?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJwqpN1K7w8
MrColumboJan 14, 2017 8:33 PM
Aug 24, 2018 2:14 PM

Sep 2011
Another great episode, this isn't slowing down.

This time the spotlight was on Kiriku, we finally got to know his circumstances for being Damiya's pawn. He lost his parents when he was young, and was adopted, together with his sister, by some greedy people that only wanted to use them as a mean of getting a noble title. But as soon as they found out that they only needed one of them for it, they decided to poison his sister, and get rid of an unnecessary "burden". This changed his life, and even made him become a murderer. He avenged his sister by fighting poison with poison, and since they were Wajyaku, this made him despise them. He thought that only people as pure as his sister, a Holon, were allowed to live, and so him fell into Damiya's clutches, becoming nothing more than a tool for his ends.

Anyways, Ial together with Kyle, was gathering information about what has been happening in the country, and they finally got to Damiya, but it was a bit late, he already managed to make Seimiya accept his proposal, although she doesn't seem to be willing to marry him, and is already exercising his power by replacing the Sezan with his men, and trying to get rid of Ial, a dangerous threat, someone that got to the truth about him, and even knows something that he doesn't. But to think that he would poison himself in order to poison Ial, he's really dangerous, and won't stop at anything to get what he wants. Ial was careful and only drank the wine after Damiya did it, but it was for nothing.

He's now poisoned, and wounded. The good thing is that I guess he was able to save Kyle, and that he made Kiriku realize that he was also responsible for cornering Erin. The difference between her and Damiya is so great that at least now he knows that he wasn't serving someone pure, and I think he won't go back to his side now. I can't wait for the next episode, I LOVED its title.
Oct 21, 2018 7:43 PM
Aug 2018
So now the queens granddaughter wants to marry her uncle.. nice.
The further I progess in the story of this anime, the stronger I hate it's world and the story itself. (And the author.)

I don't mind drama, but while watching this anime, I realised that I am rather fond of "happy" endings. With everything that happened until this point, I personally can't imagine this story having one anymore. She should have assassinated Damiya and then committed suicide.

I should have paid more attention to the "Drama" tag. After watching Moribito with pleasure, I didn't imagine that the same author could also write something so gloomy.
I have to admit that I got fooled by the rather "cute" character and artstyle and the bright, lively cover picture here on MAL.
May 15, 2019 6:50 AM

Oct 2015
A pretty weak episode honestly. All it took for Kiriku to have a change of heart was learning that Damiya's schemes pose a threat to Elin. What? Did he realize it only now? Given his belief that "Only pure people should live in this world" he should've damn well realized that Damiya's not exactly a saint by now. He's aware that they attempted to kill Halumiya right? So much for being an intelligent and cunning spy.

And his backstory is nonsense. Did their adoptive parents just murder a kid because she's unnecessary and kind of a nuisiance? And they got zero prosecution for it? Pinnacle of great writing dare I say. Putting her to an orphanage, throwing her out etc. were all more plausible scenerios but no they had to make Kiriku vengeful somehow and the result is utter stupidity. And to top it off Kiriku doesn't face prosecution either after murdering two people, apparently the law doesn't exist in this universe.

I love this show and all but man for a story as grand-scale as that it sure is overly simplistic sometimes. And especially this episode was flat-out bad.
May 30, 2019 12:56 AM

Oct 2012
Good to see Puppet Queen Naive-miya still the same

Thanks for the bad guy reveal, I can't possibly guess why it's the Duke
Yeah I wonder why it's not obvious for me, it's like from the very first episode it's not obvious already :P

Now they're all free from all chains
Ial and Kiriku should become best pals
"Signature removed"
Nov 9, 2019 6:41 AM

Oct 2015
So Damiya poisoned himself, so he could poison Ial. That's pretty sick and cunning.

I see Kiriku has had an epiphany, thanks to Ial's words.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 19, 2020 4:18 AM

Feb 2014
Noooo Ial don't die ;_; I hope Erin can save him!

Ewww Damiya and Seimiya are engaged...I'm hoping she gets to the battlefield and is like I'm gonna marry Shunan instead!

The truth is revealed that Damiya is the one behind the Touda attack, and he's tryna get control of the throne...he's really smart and a really good villain I just hate him lol :p
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 40 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 17, 2009

39 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.