Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 23, 2014 2:38 PM

Apr 2014
The common phrase we tend to through around in relationships. Some even worded along the lines of "I'd die for you". That Bruno Mars song Grenade comes to mind here.

So do you think this is a good saying to be throwing around? Do people actually mean it when they say it? What are your thoughts on it?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 23, 2014 2:39 PM

Jan 2013
They don't "usually" mean it, it's just words to show you're passionate about your love or something.

I said it before to someone and she jokingly told me to suck her cock. Never said it again
Dec 23, 2014 2:41 PM

Apr 2014
VitaminCaim said:
They don't "usually" mean it, it's just words to show you're passionate about your love or something.

I said it before to someone and she jokingly told me to suck her cock. Never said it again

why didn't you suck her dick though?
Dec 23, 2014 2:41 PM

Apr 2013
VitaminCaim said:
I said it before to someone and she jokingly told me to suck her cock. Never said it again.
What if she had 1?
Dec 23, 2014 2:42 PM
Dec 2014
Never trust people who say this kind of things
Dec 23, 2014 2:43 PM
Jul 2018
I leave them after that.

I hate that phrase. I really do.

That and cuddling. There are just some annoying things in relationships I really hate.
Dec 23, 2014 2:44 PM

Jan 2008
When you love someone, you do feel that you would do anything you could for them.
Dec 23, 2014 2:44 PM

Jan 2013
Cause said:
VitaminCaim said:

why didn't you suck her dick though?
She doesn't have one
Dec 23, 2014 2:47 PM

Apr 2014
VitaminCaim said:
he doesn't have one

no excuse

koinzell-ub said:
Never trust people who say this kind of things

what if they actually mean it?
Dec 23, 2014 2:50 PM

Jul 2012
Cause said:
So do you think this is a good saying to be throwing around? Do people actually mean it when they say it? What are your thoughts on it?

If they really mean it, it's nice.
I'm the type of person who would dedicate themselves for another person if I cared about them, so yeah.
Dec 23, 2014 2:51 PM

Apr 2014
mayukachan said:
Cause said:

I'm the type of person who would dedicate themselves for another person if I cared about them, so yeah.

would you kill them if they asked you to
Dec 23, 2014 2:52 PM

Jan 2009
they mean it either temporarily or permanently depending on how the relationship goes
Dec 23, 2014 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
j0x said:
they mean it either temporarily or permanently depending on how the relationship goes

Unless they're this person.
Dec 23, 2014 2:54 PM

Jan 2013
I always mean it when I say it. If my yandere side is showing.
Dec 23, 2014 2:54 PM

Jul 2012
Cause said:
mayukachan said:

Damn.

Probably not, because it's against my morals.
Dec 23, 2014 3:00 PM

Apr 2014
mayukachan said:
Damn.

Probably not, because it's against my morals.

That's where I draw the distinction here. Saying something like that and not being capable of actually carrying out those kinds of wishes in the moment are a bit dumb. Yes I know the situation of "killing them if they asked you to" is a bit out there, but it's one of many that may show up where you then sit back and say "Well shit, I can't actually do anything for you".

I know we say it as like a lovey dovey "oh youuuuuu <33333" kind of thing without actually meaning it. But if that's the case, we shouldn't be saying it then. Just say I love you or something.
Dec 23, 2014 3:02 PM

Feb 2013
If you really care about the person, yeah... it's actually a really good thing to say.
'I'd die for you' I think is way more deeper, like something you would say to your parents, or your husband/wife.

Dec 23, 2014 3:03 PM

Mar 2010
I think being naïve makes you say something like this.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 23, 2014 3:03 PM
Oct 2014
I don't throw around words, and I don't like when others do so either. In the end, the meaning of them will disapear and do it pointless saying them. In a relationship, you can use other words, without being over dramatic. Most important is to use right words when they should be used, and not only for the sake of saying them.

There are a few persons I could die for, but they don't know it and they will not know it until the situation depends on it.

Dec 23, 2014 3:05 PM

Apr 2014
gissellebatista said:
If you really care about the person, yeah... it's actually a really good thing to say.
'I'd die for you' I think is way more deeper, like something you would say to your parents, or your husband/wife.

I'd do anything for you encompasses dying for them though.
Dec 23, 2014 3:08 PM

Feb 2013
Cause said:
gissellebatista said:

I'd do anything for you encompasses dying for them though.

Depends on the person imo. If I say that to someone, I don't know if it would include dying for them too. Like I said, it all depends.

Dec 23, 2014 3:09 PM
Feb 2014
I said many times "I wouldn't do anything for you but needing you sometimes, besides spending time in morally questionable ways with your body" and it worked better.
Dec 23, 2014 3:16 PM

Dec 2012
No, I think the statement is stupid and cheesy. And anybody who takes it literally is also stupid. What it would mean, depends on the person ofc. Whether they're reliable or not. As for myself, I'm not good at keeping promises or living up to any expectations. I'd rather say "I'll do my best".

"I'd do anything for you" can also mean "I'll do my best for you" or "I'll do whatever I can for you". Not like Bruno would actually catch a grenade.
Dec 23, 2014 3:17 PM

Jan 2013
if a person is willing to do anything for you I find that scary. The person either doesn't mean it or is pretty fucked in the head.
Dec 23, 2014 3:23 PM

Nov 2013
The majority don't mean it, or they don't realize what that could bring them to do.
It's just a phrase meant to show emphasis in your feeling for someone.
Regardless, I can't see myself using that phrase. It sounds too corny.

I can see you

Dec 23, 2014 3:24 PM

Aug 2014
anything?

kill yourself ^w^
Dec 23, 2014 3:26 PM

Apr 2014
Nanet said:
anything?

kill yourself ^w^

if you wish

<3
Dec 23, 2014 3:30 PM

Apr 2014
rothrock said:
"I'd do anything for you" can also mean "I'll do my best for you" or "I'll do whatever I can for you". Not like Bruno would actually catch a grenade.

What do we take literally and what do we take figuratively? Wouldn't it be better to just say something else that can't be "lost in translation" so to speak?
Dec 23, 2014 3:59 PM

Dec 2012
Cause said:
rothrock said:

What do we take literally and what do we take figuratively? Wouldn't it be better to just say something else that can't be "lost in translation" so to speak?
Things that are blantantly obvious? I've only dated a guy and he thought I was obliged to do anything for him. He was a jealous person and told me to stop talking to my male classmates which was impossible for me since well.. they're in my class and they'll talk to me and I can't ignore them. Yeh I think it's lost in translation, that's why I'd consider it really stupid if someone took it literally :<
Dec 23, 2014 4:07 PM

Apr 2014
rothrock said:
Things that are blantantly obvious? I've only dated a guy and he thought I was obliged to do anything for him. He was a jealous person and told me to stop talking to my male classmates which was impossible for me since well.. they're in my class and they'll talk to me and I can't ignore them. Yeh I think it's lost in translation, that's why I'd consider it really stupid if someone took it literally :<

So do you think it's okay for people to say as long as it's not literal then?
Dec 23, 2014 4:08 PM

Apr 2014
Actually I don't think I've ever said this to someone surprisingly. 0w0
But I do know the people I'd do anything for even if I don't say it.
Dec 23, 2014 4:28 PM

Oct 2010
besides me the only people that have said this were frauds

life shmucks
lots of music -
Dec 23, 2014 4:31 PM

Dec 2013
Never loved anyone, so can't say. But I don't throw words like that around lightly.
Dec 23, 2014 4:39 PM

Jun 2008
It depends on the person. If the love has had time to grow enough, I believe at that point yes.
Dec 23, 2014 4:52 PM

Jul 2012
"I'd do whatever I can for you", doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Too many words I guess.
Dec 23, 2014 6:20 PM

Aug 2014
If they think they are able to uphold this promise then fine with me.
DrakehawkDec 23, 2014 8:15 PM
Dec 23, 2014 6:27 PM

Jun 2012
Amarae said:
"I'd do whatever I can for you", doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Too many words I guess.
How about "I'd do almost anything for you."
Dec 23, 2014 6:36 PM

Nov 2014
I had my last relationship a year ago & we were together for 3 years, she was devoted to me & I was devoted to her.
I was the happiest person on the planet for those three years & no matter the situation we'd always work with each other to help us out.

I was 17 at the time, barely knowing what love is, something happened & she passed away one day.

All I can say is never take life for granted, do as much as you possibly can because you do not know what can happen the next day.
You can say those words but only if you both truly feel it.
Dec 23, 2014 6:41 PM

Dec 2012
It's usually an exaggeration to express someone's devotion to someone else, but most are too lazy to express it with their own words and go for the Hollywood one-liner. I myself have never said "I'd do anything for you" because I know I won't have sex with 19 chimpanzees on New Years Eve just to pay for your postage, so that deal is off.

As for the latter line, I much prefer to live for someone. That constant support is far greater than one moment of sacrifice.
Dec 23, 2014 6:58 PM

Apr 2014
Silvianation said:
-snip-

I don't want to seem like a dick, but your story really had nothing to do with any of this. As sad as it was. How does it relate? Did you tell her you would do anything for her? Or vice versa?

Ratohnhaketon said:
I myself have never said "I'd do anything for you" because I know I won't have sex with 19 chimpanzees on New Years Eve just to pay for your postage, so that deal is off.

Wow
Dec 23, 2014 7:00 PM

May 2014
saying something like that just makes it awkward and it always rings false. there will come a time where you both know you would die for eachother, and nothing needs to be said about it.
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Dec 23, 2014 7:00 PM

Dec 2012
Cause said:
So do you think it's okay for people to say as long as it's not literal then?
Yes, no, maybe. It depends. I dunno.
Dec 23, 2014 7:03 PM

Nov 2014
Cause said:

I don't want to seem like a dick, but your story really had nothing to do with any of this. As sad as it was. How does it relate? Did you tell her you would do anything for her? Or vice versa?

No it's cool and yes I did tell her similar things like I would do anything for her, she'd say the same thing for me even out of the blue most of the time, I guess I just wanted to casually express what I have overcome these past years on here on this subject.
I mean if you can pull of those words if you honestly really feel it.

Life surely sucks sometimes hey.
Sorry if what I said was off subject.
Dec 23, 2014 7:08 PM

Apr 2014
Silvianation said:
No it's cool and yes I did tell her similar things like I would do anything for her, she'd say the same thing for me even out of the blue most of the time, I guess I just wanted to casually express what I have overcome these past years on here on this subject.
I mean if you can pull of those words if you honestly really feel it.

Life surely sucks sometimes hey.
Sorry if what I said was off subject.

Don't worry about it! I just wanted to know how they were related because I couldn't tell from the first post.

Don't you think casually expressing through actions seems a bit more relevant then expressing through such saturated words though? I feel that the phrases we use that are long stretching like "Do anything for you" just seem so washed out and bland because most of the time they aren't true, and even if they are it still holds little value in actuality to the relationship. It's like saying I love you 500 times a day to each other. Eventually it loses value.

And keep your head up kid. It's what she would want you to do. To be happy.
Dec 23, 2014 7:12 PM
Apr 2012
Cause said:
mayukachan said:

humans don't even understand what love is, we should learn with robots

Dec 23, 2014 7:17 PM

Apr 2014
"I have you tied up in the basement away from everyone because I love you so much"
Dec 23, 2014 7:18 PM

Nov 2014
Cause said:
Don't worry about it! I just wanted to know how they were related because I couldn't tell from the first post.

Don't you think casually expressing through actions seems a bit more relevant then expressing through such saturated words though? I feel that the phrases we use that are long stretching like "Do anything for you" just seem so washed out and bland because most of the time they aren't true, and even if they are it still holds little value in actuality to the relationship. It's like saying I love you 500 times a day to each other. Eventually it loses value.

And keep your head up kid. It's what she would want you to do. To be happy.

Aha lack of sleep lately due to Christmas must be taking effect on me haha!

Yes I understand what you mean, I prefer actions sometimes over words but if it is a special day like an anniversary or a date, it would seem appropriate to say something deep & meaningful to the one you love, even a poem would suffice.
I will tell you know, she was the first to say those words to me "No matter what happens between us, I will always be their for you, and do anything for you" I was a little shocked but It wasn't said till 2 years into our relationship so I felt comfortable & strong knowing we have a unbreakable bond.
Haha, glady to know that we rarely said we loved each other, because we did not need to remind each other all the time since we already knew how we felt.

A year has passed, after the bus crash & I'm doing stronger than ever, this seems like something out of a fairy tale or a typical Manga, it makes me laugh sometimes but this is really.
I'm all okay, my family & hers still hang out & laugh at the good memories & to remember her with a smile & a few tears. :)
Dec 23, 2014 7:28 PM

Feb 2014
If a girl ever said that to me I would more than likely try test her definition of anything.
Dec 23, 2014 9:27 PM

Jul 2013
Fiction-S said:
j0x said:

Unless they're this person.
agreed
Dec 23, 2014 9:58 PM

May 2010
Those words mean they will unhealthily pursue you. Either break up with them, or be a trustworthy person, because if you don't they're going to be in a world of hurt.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How do you process death?

Lightskynight - Apr 14

16 by Lightskynight »»
5 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

637 by Hitagi__Furude »»
15 minutes ago

» Akira Toriyama or Hayao Miyazaki

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 14

11 by Dumb »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » representation or relatability ?

soniyay - Apr 14

30 by Kamikaze_404 »»
16 minutes ago

» How much of the world is autistic

LenRea - Apr 4

49 by Sad »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.