Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think is a contender for best anime of 2014?

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Contender for best anime of 2014?

Dec 21, 2014 12:06 PM

mayukachan said:
Slyr3do0n said:
I'd agree if that were even true, but Ping Pong relied heavily on emotional pulls. Not quite as much as Chihayafuru, but are you honestly arguing that you watched it for the ping pong?

It didn't. Ping Pong was more coming of age and about characters growing. It had some heartstring pulling at times but it's nowhere near Chihayafuru's heavy monologues and really emotional scenes. Btw, Chihayafuru's one of my favourites. I'm not trying to diss it but I can see why it's not as liked by others.
I watched it because I like sports anime, not necessarily looking for something to make me feel.
chihayafuru is shit because chihaya rejected taichi
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro

Dec 21, 2014 12:18 PM

mayukachan said:
Slyr3do0n said:
I'd agree if that were even true, but Ping Pong relied heavily on emotional pulls. Not quite as much as Chihayafuru, but are you honestly arguing that you watched it for the ping pong?

It didn't. Ping Pong was more coming of age and about characters growing. It had some heartstring pulling at times but it's nowhere near Chihayafuru's heavy monologues and really emotional scenes. Btw, Chihayafuru's one of my favourites. I'm not trying to diss it but I can see why it's not as liked by others.
I watched it because I like sports anime, not necessarily looking for something to make me feel.
And I enjoyed Ping Pong quite a bit, but it definitely had lots of emotional themes as it should have because sports are about passion. Obviously it was not on the same level as Chihayafuru and I agree that that may contribute to why people wouldn't like chihayafuru, but I'm not concerned with that. The shows are similar in that they use a less than popular sport to tell story about growing up and determining the kind of person that you are/who you want to be. I would say both of them are definitely more about the people than the sport. I just thought that chihayafuru gave a more complete view of the character's lives outside of the sport. I also thought it showed a more realistic progression of the character's skill levels where one person couldn't go from decent to basically the best player in Japan in a few months. And this applied to more than just one character in Ping Pong and to be honest I found the skill levels to be more inconsistent than DBZ. And I loved the stylistic approachto the matches and the ooverall show, but if you're trying to argue the show based purely on the sports label I would argue that it didn't do an amazing job representing the sport.

Sorry about all the mistakes, I'm on mobile.

Dec 21, 2014 12:19 PM

Gekkan Shoujo for me as best comedy. This year had a lot of good comedy though

Dec 21, 2014 12:23 PM

@Slyr3do0n I agree with you. I've always thought that Ping Pong was overhyped though lolol

kawaii-despair said:
Gekkan Shoujo for me as best comedy. This year had a lot of good comedy though

Definitely. It's one of the most likable comedies in a LONG time.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Dec 21, 2014 12:50 PM

Slyr3do0n said:
I just thought that chihayafuru gave a more complete view of the character's lives outside of the sport. I also thought it showed a more realistic progression of the character's skill levels where one person couldn't go from decent to basically the best player in Japan in a few months. And this applied to more than just one character in Ping Pong and to be honest I found the skill levels to be more inconsistent than DBZ. And I loved the stylistic approachto the matches and the ooverall show, but if you're trying to argue the show based purely on the sports label I would argue that it didn't do an amazing job representing the sport.

Sorry about all the mistakes, I'm on mobile.

Chihayafuru benefits from having 39 more episodes to explore the characters lives and the sport, and even then, it's still not finished. Not a really fair comparison, Ping Pong was more about exploring their motivations to play the sport, it was most of the characters life since they wanted to become a professional player. A lot of people looking to go pro in real life at that age barely have a life outside of it if they wish to truly get somewhere. It's true for a lot of sports, so it's not exactly a bad thing.

Most of the players in Ping Pong were established as being high skilled players, how were their skill levels inconsistent? China represented on an international level, Dragon represented Japan, Peco had always dreamed of becoming a pro and trained at the hands of the best ping pong coaches/players in Japan, Smile grew up alongside that and experienced it himself. Demon trained with Dragon. What more did you expect? It was rarely about the physical element of the sport anyway, they were all talented players to a degree, it was about the mental hurdles they all had to tackle to go even further.

If there's one thing it did do well it was represent the sport. The excitement and energy that ping pong exudes, and the consequences of winning and losing in it. I've no idea what more you could ask of a show in 11 episodes.

Dec 21, 2014 1:21 PM

Definitely out of NGNL and Zankyou no Terror, I chose NGNL because of how enjoyable and colourful it was, but Zankyou no Terror was almost perfect excluding Twelve.

The most underrated one this year (Isn't even a choice on the poll) is Nanana's buried treasure, it was really enjoyable, similar to NGNL, but not as good to be honest :P

Dec 21, 2014 1:46 PM

Obviously its got to be a a bit more popular title. Sadly. So yeah if we are to go from a western viewpoint I would say Space Dandy. Critics like the a bit more artsy/unique stuff anyway, and Space Dandy is unique and its artsy. I loved it personally too. So yeah Space Dandy it is.

Dec 21, 2014 1:54 PM

I have a hard time believing anything there is even in the same galaxy as Ping Pong, but whatever...
Modified by Gymkata, Dec 21, 2014 1:58 PM

Dec 21, 2014 2:05 PM
Slyr3do0n said:
It's hard from me to vote when I've only seen o couple of the shows, but I would think Mushishi definitely deserves the praise it gets. The fact that they could recapture the magic of the show like that after all this time was simply impressive.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
My vote went to Ping Pong because it had to.
I see this a lot and I notice it's in your favourites. Having recently finished Ping Pong and still trying to form a complete opinion on it, I'm interested to hear why you would consider it to be such a masterpiece. With the shows being easily comparable, what do you see in it that would make it equal or greater than Chihayafuru for example?

Chihayafuru is also one of my rare 10/10 shows, but Ping Pong has a lot less of the additional fluff and competitions and is also more prone to shoujo/josei and sports tropes. And while I love all the additional fluff in Chihayafuru from a literary/critical perspective I'd say it executes the themes of growing up, of friendship, rivalry and mentorship much more to the point and with more accuracy and literary finesse than most comparable shows.
The plot and characters are all written in very engaging yet believable ways and the dialogue felt untypical for anime and more 'real' than a lot ofsimilar shows. It sometimes reminded me of The Peeping Life in that regard (or rather the other way round since I saw Ping Pong first). The voice acting of course also played into this, and it is another reason that made the anime stand out to me. I'm expecting great things from Peco's VA, I think it was his first role in Ping Pong. Still, the dialogue is also well-written, probably thanks to the source material (only hear good things about that author), and the combination just makes it great.

And of course Yuasa's directing is just masterful and the visuals aren't only impressive when it comes to conveying motion and emotions as well as using angles and 'camera movement' in very challenging ways without noticable flaws, but they're also full of vivid imagery that supports or foreshadows the themes of the show from start to finish. Yuasa has always been exceptionally talented but even he outdid himself with Ping Pong from a directorial perspective (I might still like Tatami Galaxy more because the source material appeals even more to me though).

The main thing is that I just don't see any apparent flaws in the show, but a couple of stand-out elements as mentioned above. It's not incomplete, it even has a very good ending, it didn't have a slow or boring start, the OST was great, the animation as well, the cast doesn't really have any weak points, even the comedic relief characters were likable, and as I said earlier the themes of the show were executed without any additional ballast, but definitely fleshed out enough to have impact. That last one alone is very hard to achieve.

I'd argue along those lines if I wanted to make a critical argument for my 10/10 of Ping Pong. I could probably go more into details once I rewatch it with a more analytical mindset than on my first watch. Considering that I'm also biased towards sports, Yuasa and the visual style used in the show I'm not gonna deny that there aren't more reasons for why I love it so much though. I do believe Ping Pong is one of the best shows of recent times, but it got a 10/10 and AOTY for me because in addition the irrational, biased part of me that only cares about fun (the part that really enjoyed NGNL) also loved the shit out of it :>.
Modified by Pullman, Dec 21, 2014 2:08 PM

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Dec 21, 2014 2:11 PM

No Game No Life, simply because of the extremely, unbelievably high entertainment value, Best Anime of the year.

Kiseijuu is a close second.

Ping Pong is also a worthy mention.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us

Dec 21, 2014 4:25 PM

I'm absolutely loving Fate/stay night and Parasyte, followed up by Tokyo Ghoul. I still need to watch Ping Pong.

Dec 21, 2014 9:25 PM

Dec 21, 2014 9:26 PM

Glasslip anyone?

Dec 21, 2014 9:33 PM
WATCH UMA MUSUME

is jojo winning yet?

no?

dumb thread is dumb

Dec 21, 2014 9:50 PM

Wow. Fuck you OP for not including Akame ga Kill! and yet including garbage like Aldnoah.Zero. Witch Craft Works in that case.

Dec 21, 2014 9:51 PM

ObliviousSenpai said:
Glasslip anyone?

in an alternate dimension

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Dec 21, 2014 10:19 PM

Interesting how Parasyte beat Ping Pong

Dec 21, 2014 10:21 PM
Loli King~

PriPara.

Dec 21, 2014 10:29 PM
Old_Raven said:
Wow. Thank you OP for not including Akame ga Kill!

Completely agree. As for me, my vote goes to Nobunaga Concerto. Kept me interested from start to finish. Not the perfect anime but I enjoyed it more than anything else that came out this year.

Dec 21, 2014 10:30 PM

VitaminCaim said:

By a whooping 2 votes.....

Dec 21, 2014 10:34 PM

There were a few very good ones this year, but I definitely have to go with Ping Pong. I just loved everything about it, story, art, etc.

The music was great too. When I saw Bakudan Johnny live this summer they played the opening theme for the last song of the set, and the crowd just exploded it was amazing.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Dec 21, 2014 10:43 PM
┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴

Ping-pong, fkin ping-pong ... is it really that great ?

My vote goes to Parasyte !

Dec 21, 2014 10:50 PM

amateur said:
VitaminCaim said:

It's 4 votes now. Maybe because Parasyte is more recent?

Dec 21, 2014 11:01 PM

romagia said:
we all know it's ping pong, no need for a poll

if this poll gets at least 10k votes, I might write a news on Japanese site

Dec 22, 2014 12:26 AM

It was a hard decision between Ping Pong and Barakamon. I still ended up choosing Ping Pong though. Yuasa Masaaki is just an awesome director.
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.

Dec 22, 2014 12:40 AM

This year was pretty damn good. For me there are 4 shows that I've rated 9 (which for me is essentially the highest rating I'll give anyway).

Space Dandy
Terror in Resonance
Garo
Parasyte

Of the 4, I think Parasyte is the weakest, but I still love it to bits. Space Dandy had a pretty inconsistent first season, so I think I'll rule that out from that alone. Terror in Resonance had some wonky writing (though let's not get into an argument about why I think the writing was more intelligent than most think, that's for another time), but it's strong cinematography and complex characters really carried that show.

Despite that though, I don't think it's really clicked with me as much as Garo has. Garo has got to be one of the more underrated series in recent times. It's got an intelligent script and has an interesting world which get's explored almost Kino's Journey style. Sure the animation is a bit clunky, but the CGI for the armours is pretty damn awesome and it has some of the fastest paced action of any show I've ever seen. So yeah, for that, Garo gets my pick for top show this year.

Honorable mentions go to Jojo, Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis, Psycho-Pass 2 (for being god damn fuckin' crazy, screw the writing), Witch Craft Works, Ping Pong, Sabagebu and Hi Scoool SeHa Girl (for being extremely underrated, though I don't think it's as good as any of the other honorable mentions).

Dec 22, 2014 12:42 AM

Haven't gotten around to Ping Pong yet, but I bet it would probably be that if I watched it.

I'd say Gekkan-Shoujo Nozaki-Kun. This show was just so goddamn funny and enjoyable. Not one character was unlikeable, and most of the jokes were lots of hit and little miss.

Dec 22, 2014 12:54 AM

Flare_Tide said:
sword art online ????

Funny.

Dec 22, 2014 5:01 AM
VitaminCaim said:
amateur said:

It's 4 votes now. Maybe because Parasyte is more recent?

That may be it especially since Parasyte hasn't even aired half of its episodes yet. People's attention spans barely reach farther than 1-cour. Well, Parasyte also has like 5 times as many viewers as Ping Pong because, well, it's action and gore and stuff with Madhouse visuals instead of a series about Ping Pong with unique Yuasa visuals. Parasyte has mainstream appeal AND quality, which is hard to beat in a poll even if you are the AOTY.

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Dec 22, 2014 5:19 AM

Every vote for NGNL is one too much.

Dec 22, 2014 5:28 AM

>ping pong second
You guys are mad

Dec 22, 2014 7:05 AM

RufusLatro said:
Every vote for NGNL is one too much.
What did you vote then?

Dec 22, 2014 7:37 AM
Worst One

Kill La Kill as it finished in March so I think it should still count even though it started last year, Its still like one of the best things ever in my opinion and those other shows do not have NUDISTO BEACHI.

Dec 22, 2014 7:44 AM

haydnwright said:
Kill La Kill as it finished in March so I think it should still count even though it started last year, Its still like one of the best things ever in my opinion and those other shows do not have NUDISTO BEACHI.
IMO, it is a pretty bad show, but hey, that is just my opinion :)

Dec 22, 2014 8:07 AM

NGNL - fun show; Sorata was a great character; enjoyed seeing him expand and cultivate his harem

Dec 22, 2014 8:12 AM

I like parasyte a lot but ping pong should definitely win this shit.

Dec 22, 2014 9:48 AM

this year feels kinda weak to me so I just threw down an unlimited blade works vote, but woah I didn't know people put parasyte that ahead.
I expected ping pong even though I haven't watched it, but I didn't see parasyte coming.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here

Dec 22, 2014 9:50 AM

Parasyte and Ping going at it huh? They're both great, but my vote goes to NGNL
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us

Dec 22, 2014 10:03 AM

haydnwright said:

No,it doesn't count,it started airing on 2013 just like NagiAsu,Golden Time,etc.

Dec 22, 2014 10:18 AM
Its really nice to see anime like Ping pong leading the polls once in a while.

Dec 22, 2014 10:26 AM

hentai_eucli said:
>ping pong second
You guys are mad

LOL, that was my reaction, although it seems mal is significantly less mad than other sources. I'm heavily biased for various reasons but IMO Ping Pong should be talked about in goat (one of the) rather than aoty terms. Parasyte was fun in the beginning. Its latest EPs have left me cold though and I'm finding the creative freshness of its start to be wearing off rapidly. In terms of writing and characters it's Ping Pong, no contest. It's still early though, to be fair.
Modified by Gymkata, Dec 22, 2014 10:46 AM

Dec 22, 2014 1:35 PM

lunaticsrus said:
this year feels kinda weak to me so I just threw down an unlimited blade works vote, but woah I didn't know people put parasyte that ahead.
I expected ping pong even though I haven't watched it, but I didn't see parasyte coming.
It's surprising isn't it? I was honestly expecting FSN to lead due to its rating as of now and priests

Dec 22, 2014 1:44 PM

VitaminCaim said:
lunaticsrus said:
It's surprising isn't it? I was honestly expecting FSN to lead due to its rating as of now and priests

Actually it isn't. I think the priests just got bored a little so the polls are now showing more truth. F/SN was really disappointing. I hope 2nd cour delivers.

Dec 22, 2014 1:47 PM

Ping Pong is the only contender, Parasyte isn't even close.

Dec 22, 2014 2:08 PM

Love Stage because it is Yaoi done right for once....well, for the most part anyway. It's an improvement at least.

Mind you I've not seen Sword Art Online II yet, so don't be so surprised that it doesn't get my vote....yet....

Dec 22, 2014 2:14 PM

Actually now that I think about it Me!Me!Me! might actually be the best I've seen this year, maybe its 2deep4u bait, but I think it gets at some issues that hit close to home for more people and its done almost entirely through visuals.

Dec 22, 2014 2:21 PM
I'm impressed by the results, seems that there's quite a bit of sane people in here. Ping Pong very obviously, Parasyte isn't as good but I'd put it at 2nd. Counting Mushishi is cheating.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.

Dec 22, 2014 4:29 PM

I'm torn between Barakamon and Akatsuki no Yona, but I'm going with the former only because the latter isn't included in the poll.

Dec 22, 2014 4:34 PM
Can anyone here explain me whats so great about NGNL? I dont get it.
I just watched episode 9 and I barely sat through it because its FUCKING BORING and cringeworthy at some parts. There was no story progress in the last 3-4 episodes, just tits, underwear (so much fanservice) and siblings fighting some random elfs for whatever reason...cant they just fight that God guy and finish the show already...sheesh. A typical 5/10 anime

Dec 22, 2014 4:35 PM
fightingdreamer7 said:
Can anyone here explain me whats so great about NGNL? I dont get it.
I just watched episode 9 and I barely sat through it because its FUCKING BORING and cringeworthy at some parts. There was no story progress in the last 3-4 episodes, just tits, underwear (so much fanservice) and siblings fighting some random elfs for whatever reason...cant they just fight that God guy and finish the show already...sheesh. A typical 5/10 anime

I also don't know why NGNL is rated 8.6, it's just average 4 or 5/10

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »