Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think is a contender for best anime of 2014?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Poll: Contender for best anime of 2014?

Dec 21, 2014 4:05 AM

No, this isn't a "best anime of 2014" thread but a "What anime do you think is a contender for best anime of 2014?" thread. The difference is, while the former encourages trolling, spam, and zero discussion; the latter is simply asking what anime do you think can be "universally" or majorly agreed upon as "best anime of 2014". So please, what do you believe is a good contender for best anime of 2014?

Please no trolling, shitposting, or simple listing. When you state an anime describe or elaborate why. I don't want a listing thread, I want a discussion.

I added a poll for those who don't want to state reasons for "best anime of 2014". This is to avoid simple listing. The anime listed in the poll were taken from Anichart with rating and popularity put into consideration.
Modified by PeenusWeenusCaim, Dec 23, 2014 4:37 AM

Dec 21, 2014 4:14 AM

I'd pick NGNL for the lulz, since it had the highest enjoyment value this year.

Ping Pong for the characters and story.

I'm yet to catch up on Mushishi. so yeah Ping Pong or NGNL.

Dec 21, 2014 4:16 AM
Zankyou no Terror. Im currently watching that show and its pretty damn good.
Tokyo Ghoul was ok, but NGNL is lame AF and I dont get the hype about that show

Dec 21, 2014 4:20 AM
Ping Pong, Mushishi, Barakamon

Maybe Parasyte but it would need to be completed to really compare to the others (or not).

Also Kaguya-hime.

Reasons? Because I don't want to compromise for the sake of popularity. A lot of people won't like these shows because they're not flashy action or fanservice shows, but when it comes to people who enjoy a wide variety of genres I only ever hear praise of them, including my own love for them. They're also shows I would recommend to anyone (okay maybe not 12 year olds), not only anime fans, because I still think most people would recognize the quality in them as long as they don't hate animation per se. In other words, if the world remembered 2014 anime for those shows only I could definitely live with that. My vote went to Ping Pong because it had to.

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Dec 21, 2014 4:22 AM

fightingdreamer7 said:
Zankyou no Terror. Im currently watching that show and its pretty damn good.
Tokyo Ghoul was ok, but NGNL is lame AF and I dont get the hype about that show
I think it's because the light novel was pretty popular and because the season it was released in (Spring) had a lot of "disappointing" anime so NGNL just looked better in comparison

Dec 21, 2014 4:25 AM

VitaminCaim said:
what anime do you think can be "universally" or majorly agreed upon as "best anime of 2014".

Nothing will ever be universally or "majorly" agreed upon as the best anime of any year.

Oh and Log Horizon 2 is in the poll twice.
Weekly light novel releases (from 20/10/2014)
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.

Dec 21, 2014 4:28 AM

we all know it's ping pong, no need for a poll

Dec 21, 2014 4:28 AM

kuuderes_shadow said:
VitaminCaim said:
what anime do you think can be "universally" or majorly agreed upon as "best anime of 2014".

Nothing will ever be universally or "majorly" agreed upon as the best anime of any year.
"What anime do you think?" This is under your own subjective framework friend.
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Ping Pong, Mushishi, Barakamon

Maybe Parasyte but it would need to be completed to really compare to the others (or not).

Also Kaguya-hime.

Reasons? Because I don't want to compromise for the sake of popularity. A lot of people won't like these shows because they're not flashy action or fanservice shows, but when it comes to people who enjoy a wide variety of genres I only ever hear praise of them, including my own love for them. They're also shows I would recommend to anyone (okay maybe not 12 year olds), not only anime fans, because I still think most people would recognize the quality in them as long as they don't hate animation per se. In other words, if the world remembered 2014 anime for those shows only I could definitely live with that. My vote went to Ping Pong because it had to.
Ah yes. I feel like in the future, people can look at Mushishi and Ping Pong as anime that didn't conform to the shows around them for the sake of money/pandering but to express anime as a medium that doesn't need flashiness or action to truly entertain
Modified by PeenusWeenusCaim, Dec 21, 2014 4:32 AM

Dec 21, 2014 4:34 AM

Black Bullet, the last scene is just so beautiful. Obligatory shit response.

Honestly I would go with Mushishi Zoku Shou. Among the several airing shows I kept up with this year, none has kept me in anticipation each episode as greatly as Mushishi has. It is a prime example of artistic direction and what goes into building a masterful atmosphere, making full use of nature and its ambient sounds/visuals in thorough detail. The mystery of the mushi is cleverly unraveled in a way that lends insight into the lives of these characters as well as how the mushi interact with the world. Furthermore, it never answers enough questions to completely unveil the enigmatic presence of these creatures known as mushi, always leaving much to the imagination.

I would even argue that Mushishi is the king of episodic storytelling, as it uses each story to delve into all sorts of themes and ideas. It offers insight into the lives of everyday characters who, although mostly never developed beyond one episode, always bring something significant to the table.

It has my unyielding vote of confidence (although I almost voted for Nisekoi, fml).

Dec 21, 2014 4:37 AM

In all seriousness ,putting aside the Mahouka, Gosick,Love Stage,Aldnoah Zero jokes and all those shit "so bad its good" series aside,Ping Pong The Animation just leaves everything in its dust.

Dec 21, 2014 4:42 AM
Hug Addict <3

There is no such thing as a "universally agreed upon" best anime of the year nor will there ever be so what's the point of asking this? :s

Parasyte and F/SN were neck and neck in ANN's poll results at least, think that's the closest to an answer you can get, but really popularity and sequel effects etc affect these surveys far too much.

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Dec 21, 2014 4:43 AM

VitaminCaim said:
"What anime do you think?" This is under your own subjective framework friend.

So are you asking which anime we think are the best ones or which anime we think that the majority of people would see as the best ones?

For me personally, it's a three way battle at present between Isshuukan Friends (which isn't on the poll), Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu (which also isn't on the poll) and Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru (which ALSO isn't on the poll).

If you're talking about in general, then divisive series like Tokyo Ghoul and Space Dandy (as well as just about anything with lots of fanservice) shouldn't even be in the running. Sequels are also dodgy as people usually won't watch them if they haven't seen the first series. Barakamon and Nozaki-kun could be good candidates here, both being series which I've heard bad words about from very few people, and both being in a genre with a very wide base of appeal (unlike mecha or idol series, and to a lesser extent sports stuff or even horror).
Weekly light novel releases (from 20/10/2014)
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.

Dec 21, 2014 4:51 AM

kuuderes_shadow said:

So are you asking which anime we think are the best ones or which anime we think that the majority of people would see as the best ones?
Mainly the former with the latter taken into consideration
But LOL, I'm sorry, the poll was pretty wack
HaXXspetten said:
There is no such thing as a "universally agreed upon" best anime of the year nor will there ever be so what's the point of asking this? :s

Parasyte and F/SN were neck and neck in ANN's poll results at least, think that's the closest to an answer you can get, but really popularity and sequel effects etc affect these surveys far too much.
"What do you think?". Simply state your opinion + reasons as to what is a good contender for "best anime of 2014". This is in no means, a thread attempting to establish some kind of objectivity with anime because that will lead to an argument
Modified by PeenusWeenusCaim, Dec 21, 2014 4:56 AM

Dec 21, 2014 5:00 AM
Otaku Whisperer

There is only man worthy of the title & his name is cool-headed Hoozuki.

Dec 21, 2014 5:02 AM

VitaminCaim said:
No, this isn't a "best anime of 2014" thread but a "What anime do you think is a contender for best anime of 2014?" thread. The difference is, while the former encourages trolling, spam, and zero discussion; the latter is simply asking what anime do you think can be "universally" or majorly agreed upon as "best anime of 2014". So please, what do you believe is a good contender for best anime of 2014?

Please no trolling, shitposting, or simple listing. When you state an anime describe or elaborate why. I don't want a listing thread, I want a discussion.

I added a poll for those who don't want to state reasons for "best anime of 2014". This is to avoid simple listing. The anime listed in the poll were taken from Anichart with rating and popularity put into consideration.

I'd go for Psycho-Pass 2, although I also enjoyed NGNL, Log Horizon, Parasyte, and some of the other anime mentioned in the poll. :) Psycho-Pass has a great storyline and animation so I voted for it as the best anime for 2014.

Dec 21, 2014 5:11 AM

in my opinion this years best anime this year was Witch craft works for me but I know it won't be known as the best anime this year so i would go with shingeki no bahamut or no game no life

Shout out to Kokkuri-san for being one of the best comedic anime this year without the use of tit grabbing

Modified by Veneficia, Dec 21, 2014 5:55 AM

Dec 21, 2014 5:31 AM

Gosh I'm so happy Ping Pong has a lot of votes :3 I thought FSN would be top by a mile D:

Definitely the best show for me without a doubt this year. Not only was it a good adaptation but Yuasa added in his own original scenes which made it even better. Shock-horror, tampering with the source material actually made good results.

Fully fleshed out characters who are provided with scenes of great magnitude. No wasted time whatsoever across the series, no pandering, a fantastic conclusion to polish off the development of several characters. The story made me feel like the author respected all his characters equally, there was nobody left behind by the end, pretty impressive to do so much in so little time.

The visuals are no doubt hit or miss for most watchers but they're certainly a hit with me.

Dec 21, 2014 5:40 AM
Gundam Unicorn 7
Ping Pong
Nanatsu
Nisekoi
Gekkan Shoujo
Knights of Sidonia
JoJo.
Shingeki no Bahamut

Those are my current picks for the best stuff this year but if I had to go with one it's definitely ping pong or Gundam UC 7, but since gundam isn't there I'll just say ping pong.

Dec 21, 2014 5:41 AM
Love Live! season 2 easily.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 21, 2014 5:43 AM

My personal favourite so far is Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. Closest after that is Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. After that probably Parasyte.

Of course contender to be best anime of 2014 would have to be popular too. So it'll probably be Parasyte, Fate/Stay Night, NGNL, SAO, Tokyo Ghoul... (you get the point).
I swear I'm not a lolicon.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Opinions are all relevant. I express mine freely and believe everyone should too. Unless you say "<Insert anime here> is the best! Everything else sucks", then GTFO.
My MAL Interview

Dec 21, 2014 5:44 AM

Ironically voting for Nisekoi. I hate you all.

Dec 21, 2014 5:50 AM

This year, I only watched:

- Nisekoi
- Tokyo Ghoul
- Nozaki-kun
- Isshuukan friends
- Mushishi zoku shou 1 & 2
- Noragami
- Shigatsu

Well, choosing the best from those is very easy actually....

I'll go with Mushishi Zoku Shou. Beauty in every aspect. But damn, that's one low vote Mushishi got there :(

if NGNL get more vote than Mushishi, I'll wage war and derail this thread.

Just Kidding. Don't kill me.
OR NOT
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.

Dec 21, 2014 6:00 AM

Vexper said:
Gosh I'm so happy Ping Pong has a lot of votes :3 I thought FSN would be top by a mile D:

Definitely the best show for me without a doubt this year. Not only was it a good adaptation but Yuasa added in his own original scenes which made it even better. Shock-horror, tampering with the source material actually made good results.

Fully fleshed out characters who are provided with scenes of great magnitude. No wasted time whatsoever across the series, no pandering, a fantastic conclusion to polish off the development of several characters. The story made me feel like the author respected all his characters equally, there was nobody left behind by the end, pretty impressive to do so much in so little time.

The visuals are no doubt hit or miss for most watchers but they're certainly a hit with me.

And it's done in 11 episodes. Fucking brilliant, I have no idea if the original source is as good or it's just Yuasa knows his shit.

Dec 21, 2014 6:07 AM

Minute said:
Ironically voting for Nisekoi. I hate you all.
If it makes you feel better, I think it's the best comedy of 2014
Impala said:
Vexper said:

And it's done in 11 episodes. Fucking brilliant, I have no idea if the original source is as good or it's just Yuasa knows his shit.
I personally think it's both. Though I give mad props to Yuasa for not changing the art style

Dec 21, 2014 6:30 AM

Impala said:
Vexper said:
-snip so the post ain't too big-

I think this highlights the level of dedication he had to have to take on the project. He was story boarding an episode a week amongst doing other things, he's a machine.

I read the manga after the series and I think they're both great, I connected more with the series though as I'm not a big manga reader c:

Dec 21, 2014 6:35 AM

My vote goes to JoJo and SAO II.
Both were epic.

Dec 21, 2014 6:39 AM

Really can't decide between Ping Pong, Haikyuu and Parastye. Loved 'em all so much. :/

Dec 21, 2014 6:41 AM

Your Lie in April - it isn't even finished yet and it is simply an amazing anime.

Dec 21, 2014 6:41 AM

fate/stay night for me. :>
haikyuu, noragami and free! eternal summer were really great as well though~

Dec 21, 2014 6:42 AM
voted for Parasyte.

Dec 21, 2014 6:46 AM

Touzel said:
Your Lie in April - it isn't even finished yet and it is simply an amazing anime.

Lucky you, it's getting a full adaptation all at once ain't it?

Dec 21, 2014 7:05 AM

I haven't seen the 2nd season of Zoku Shou but Mushishi takes the cake for me.
All credit goes to Sacred.

Dec 21, 2014 7:12 AM

Out of the 3 shows I've watched this year, F/sn simply for the fight scenes (already know the story)

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.

Dec 21, 2014 7:43 AM

I voted for Parasyte, i do like Shigatsu just a tad better, but Parasyte IMO has a chance to get massive popularity just like maybe Death Note for instance.

Dec 21, 2014 9:10 AM

Vexper said:
Impala said:

I think this highlights the level of dedication he had to have to take on the project. He was story boarding an episode a week amongst doing other things, he's a machine.

I read the manga after the series and I think they're both great, I connected more with the series though as I'm not a big manga reader c:

It's a good read thanks. Dem, sleeping 30 minutes a night is too much. I blame the Japanese work ethic, it's insane. And here I'm waiting Togashi to come back.

Dec 21, 2014 9:35 AM

Parasyte is really REALLY good, my top choice, but Space Dandy and JoJo were also amazing.

Dec 21, 2014 9:56 AM
Parasyte FTW

Dec 21, 2014 10:02 AM

Cross Ange. It has the best plot.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.

Dec 21, 2014 10:08 AM

I voted wrong :'(
I wanted to vote Haikyuu!! but I didn't saw it so I voted Shingeki no Bahamut :'(

Dec 21, 2014 10:10 AM

It's hard from me to vote when I've only seen o couple of the shows, but I would think Mushishi definitely deserves the praise it gets. The fact that they could recapture the magic of the show like that after all this time was simply impressive.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
My vote went to Ping Pong because it had to.
I see this a lot and I notice it's in your favourites. Having recently finished Ping Pong and still trying to form a complete opinion on it, I'm interested to hear why you would consider it to be such a masterpiece. With the shows being easily comparable, what do you see in it that would make it equal or greater than Chihayafuru for example?

Dec 21, 2014 10:15 AM

Slyr3do0n said:
It's hard from me to vote when I've only seen o couple of the shows, but I would think Mushishi definitely deserves the praise it gets. The fact that they could recapture the magic of the show like that after all this time was simply impressive.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
My vote went to Ping Pong because it had to.
I see this a lot and I notice it's in your favourites. Having recently finished Ping Pong and still trying to form a complete opinion on it, I'm interested to hear why you would consider it to be such a masterpiece. With the shows being easily comparable, what do you see in it that would make it equal or greater than Chihayafuru for example?

because pingpong is godlike. thats enuf reason
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro

Dec 21, 2014 10:16 AM

Zapredon said:
Cross Ange. It has the best plot.
it has both plot and 'plot'. making it perfect
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro

Dec 21, 2014 10:58 AM

I voted for Mushishi, though I'm happy seeing Ping Pong is winning this.

Dec 21, 2014 11:13 AM

Bwahahaha how is ping pong winning, not enough people have even watched it for it to be polling so high.

Dec 21, 2014 11:21 AM
Is Parasyte really that good? I watch the trailer yesterday and it looks cheesy as hell

Dec 21, 2014 11:23 AM
I've only seen a handful of shows from this year, but Ping Pong The Animation is definitely the best one out of the bunch.

Dec 21, 2014 11:41 AM

fightingdreamer7 said:
Is Parasyte really that good? I watch the trailer yesterday and it looks cheesy as hell
Ye
fightingdreamer7 said:
s it is good, really good.

Dec 21, 2014 11:46 AM

Sports-anime-wise, probably Haikyuu!! for having the fanbase to back it up too. No matter how hyped up Ping Pong is on these forums, it won't be "universally accepted"

And in general, Kiseijuu and F/SN.

Slyr3do0n said:
With the shows being easily comparable, what do you see in it that would make it equal or greater than Chihayafuru for example?

Shows like Ping Pong aren't over-dramatic and reliant on the viewer's emotions like Chihayafuru, so I can see why many would consider it as the best sports anime ever.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Dec 21, 2014 12:01 PM

Slyr3do0n said:
With the shows being easily comparable, what do you see in it that would make it equal or greater than Chihayafuru for example?

Shows like Ping Pong aren't over-dramatic and reliant on the viewer's emotions like Chihayafuru, so I can see why many would consider it as the best sports anime ever. [/quote]I'd agree if that were even true, but Ping Pong relied heavily on emotional pulls. Not quite as much as Chihayafuru, but are you honestly arguing that you watched it for the ping pong?

Dec 21, 2014 12:04 PM

Slyr3do0n said:
I'd agree if that were even true, but Ping Pong relied heavily on emotional pulls. Not quite as much as Chihayafuru, but are you honestly arguing that you watched it for the ping pong?

It didn't. Ping Pong was more coming of age and about characters growing. It had some heartstring pulling at times but it's nowhere near Chihayafuru's heavy monologues and really emotional scenes. Btw, Chihayafuru's one of my favourites. I'm not trying to diss it but I can see why it's not as liked by others.
I watched it because I like sports anime, not necessarily looking for something to make me feel.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »