Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: What is your favourite method of viewing anime?

Dec 20, 2014 10:00 PM

Stream, and I'll download it if I can't find it streaming anywhere. And if I end up liking it I'll download it to my external HD.

Hate Hulu ads with a passion though. I am SO SICK of seeing PIMA medical institute ads. Good lord...

Dec 20, 2014 11:59 PM

Kolnikov said:
Blu-ray/DVD is definitely the best way of watch anime, we can't even discuss because there's nothing to discuss. Blu-ray is better. Now, if you're talking about convenience, then I prefer downloading all the files (torrent 720p), turn off the wi-fi and watch. I like to watch on the tablet as well. But BD is definitely objectively better.
I wouldn't say there's "nothing to discuss" -- what about subtitles?

Subtitle Styling
Blu-Ray: you get whatever fonts/colors/sizes the companies choose.
Downloads: though it takes a bit of work and fansubber software (extracting the subtitles with mkvextract or similar, editing styles in Aegisub, loading the new .ass as external subs), it is possible to restyle subtitles in a way you prefer.

Subtitle Typesetting/Karaoke
Blu-Ray: Similar limits to what DVD subs had; no animated motion, transforms, or effects. Can't match fonts due to font licensing issues. Can't do karaoke effects unless hardsubbed.
Downloads: Typesetting only limited by skill of subbers and how much lag they're willing to create with softsubbed effects. Same with karaoke, and downloads aren't prevented from translating songs because of legal red-tape reasons. (See the untranslated insert songs in AKB0048 or untranslated OP/ED in the Vividred Operation official releases.)

Subtitle Timing
Blu-Ray: subtitles cannot be shorter than five frames, which makes it hard to accurately subtitle rapid-fire text sequences i.e. Shaft/NioSin slideshows. Consecutive subtitles must have at least a one-frame gap between them (experienced as a distracting "flash"), and most companies either don't know or don't care about scene-timing.
Downloads: Can have frame-accurate timing, fansubber software can usually automatically avoid flashes and scenebleeds, and subbing groups actually know and care about scene-timing.

Subtitle Localization:
Blu-Ray: Often localized for non-hardcore audiences, using Western name order, dropping honorifics, and translating terms that hardcore fans would prefer to be left in Japanese. No choices available; you get what the companies decide to give you.
Downloads: Often have more purist, less-localized versions available from different groups, or sometimes even localized/unlocalized subtitle tracks in the same files.

While the localization issue can be chalked up to subjective preference, I think it's hard to call Blu-Ray "objectively better" in the face of its very real technical disadvantages and the advantages of fansubber software in those areas.
"You're encouraging the idea of personal gain without paying a price, working hard, or expending effort? Have you no shame? When you refuse to make sacrifices, others end up making them for you!" -- Medaka Kurokami

Dec 21, 2014 12:08 AM

Download then keep. Until Japan releases a better anime market I'm keeping that shit

Dec 21, 2014 12:12 AM

Nothing beats the quality of blu ray for home viewing. Downloading is the next best thing. All streaming (including crunchyroll) are shit.

Dec 21, 2014 1:20 AM
streaming

Dec 21, 2014 1:53 AM

I download, and keep pretty much all the series on my hard drive in case I want to watch them again. If I like series well enough or find it interesting, and find it at reasonable prize, then I buy it.

Dec 21, 2014 3:18 AM

Buying is out of question. I stream for couple of episodes, if it's good, I download it.

Dec 21, 2014 3:26 AM

I downloaded 97.52% of anime I have watched so far. I do it for the quality (since I can tweak everything on my video player) and the convenience of being able to watch and re-watch series(es) even when offline.

I save everything KyoAni, Watanabe, Ghibli, cyberpunk, extreme moe, ingenious ero plots. Aside from what was listed, they might stay on my hard drive for 3 months or so before I clean them out to get more space for incoming anime downloads :)

Dec 21, 2014 3:41 AM

Streaming because once you go to an episode of an anime and click play, you're already watching the anime in a matter of seconds, and it's so convenient. With downloading, you have to wait several minutes to download an episode of an anime (or half an hour to download an anime movie), to then start watching it, and there's sometimes issues (at least with me), like when my internet goes down for a minute when I'm in the middle of downloading, the download stops permanently even when my internet comes back, so I'd have to download all over again, which is such a pain in the ass. If it happens while I'm streaming, I can just refresh and go to the time I last left it on.

Dec 21, 2014 3:44 AM

JumpinJackCrash said:
Streaming because once you go to an episode of an anime and click play, you're already watching the anime in a matter of seconds. With downloading, you have to wait several minutes to download an episode of an anime (or half an hour to download an anime movie), to then start watching it, and there's sometimes issues (at least with me), like when my internet goes down for a minute when I'm in the middle of downloading, the download stops permanently even when my internet comes back, so I'd have to download all over again. If it happens while I'm streaming, I can just refresh and go to the time I last left it on.

On my case, Streaming is a pain since if our net is gone, I won't be able to stream. On the other hand, if I download, even without the net I'll still be able to watch anime.
I'll just download while I watch, after I watch a series the download will be finished and the cycle continues.

Dec 21, 2014 5:40 AM
1.1k andy

Downloaded in advance (while watching another show), then store (currently almost 2tb >_>) ill need more space soon

Dec 21, 2014 6:46 AM

Download and delete, then buy if I really like it.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.

Dec 21, 2014 6:48 AM

I don't get downloading and keeping, it doesn't really bestow any sense of ownership for me. If it's good enough for you to want to re-watch it then surely it's better to buy it.

Dec 21, 2014 6:49 AM
Hug Addict <3

Download obviously, no point in streaming when you can do that. I only save the series I consider good enough to warrant it however. Think I have around 1,5TB or smth stored on my home server atm.

Technically Blu-Ray would be the best of course but that requires paying for it... which noone likes to do :s

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Dec 21, 2014 6:58 AM

Favourite viewing method, it's all the same? Is it not methods of obtaining the anime?
All credit goes to Sacred.

Dec 21, 2014 8:26 AM

FireEmblemIke24 said:
Favourite viewing method, it's all the same? Is it not methods of obtaining the anime?
Yes it is, except if you watch anime with your balls, then the title is correct :)

Dec 21, 2014 10:04 AM

Download and delete
-☾✩

Dec 21, 2014 10:09 AM
Streaming and torrents sometimes

Dec 21, 2014 1:15 PM

Streaming because torrents are full of viruses.

Dec 21, 2014 1:20 PM

Other way around for me. The ads really piss me off but torrents have no effect on my PC.

Dec 21, 2014 1:22 PM

kasai9000 said:

What ? Dunno from where you are downloading your torrents but I have never heard about anyone having virus in torrents from sites like bakabt or nyaa which are the only sites you need for anime. I have been downloading torrents for over 8 years from those sites myself.

I burned up... I burned out... To pure whiteness. - Yabuki Joe

Dec 21, 2014 1:24 PM

U can't get viruses from video torrents because they're not executable files.

Dec 21, 2014 1:25 PM

My fav viewing method is on bluray though. Best quality and reliable.

Dec 21, 2014 1:26 PM

black1blade said:
U can't get viruses from video torrents because they're not executable files.

Yes, exactly this. And if that torrent contains other files you can just ignore them and select only video files if you are worried about the rest.

I burned up... I burned out... To pure whiteness. - Yabuki Joe

Dec 21, 2014 1:39 PM

Stream everything I watch and if I like it, I buy it

Dec 21, 2014 2:25 PM

AlucardVampire said:
Streaming. It's fast, simple and can marathon through entire series each and everyday.

Downloading takes storage space, time to download and effort to actually find. Can take two hours to download a 24 episode series while making my computer slower. Most Anime aren't worth keeping either which makes it pointless for me.

^ This, I only bother to download shows i really like or rated 10.

Dec 21, 2014 2:36 PM

I prefer streaming, whether legal or illegal.

I don't have a lot of room on my laptop for torrents/downloads.
I used to download really awful quality .AVI anime mostly to make AMVs out of when I shared a computer with my whole family.

I have torrents of SZS, but the audio's always out of sync no matter what I do and the subs don't work sometimes. That's something I don't have to worry about with streaming; streams are uploaded usually with everything intact and I don't have to tweak anything.
Torrents keep on freaking out everyone around me too. Everyone keeps saying I'm going to go to jail if I torrent, and while I know that's not the case, I stopped doing so to ease their minds.

I love having DVDs/Blurays but I don't have a lot of room for things anymore.;; All my books, manga, DVDs, and games are already stacked in impossible space-saving ways. If too many more things are added, they're going to explode. Maybe I should sell stuff.;;

AzureDaora said:
On my case, Streaming is a pain since if our net is gone, I won't be able to stream. On the other hand, if I download, even without the net I'll still be able to watch anime.
I'll just download while I watch, after I watch a series the download will be finished and the cycle continues.

That's a good point. With me, if the net is gone it's no problem since I have a lot of DVDs I can pop in as well. If the net's gone and I'm not at my house with my DVDs though, then I guess that's where it becomes faulty.
That's usually in the case of blackouts though, and whether I have DVDs near or not, I usually play music when the power's out instead of watching anime.
Modified by Swiggy, Dec 21, 2014 2:47 PM

Enjoy your anime!

Dec 21, 2014 4:22 PM

Streaming for sure. I try to watch legally whenever possible, which usually necessitates streaming. And even when I don't, I find streaming quicker and more convenient.

Dec 21, 2014 8:43 PM
Download in bluray quality, streaming is for casuals.

Dec 22, 2014 12:12 AM

Haseo666 said:
kasai9000 said:

What ? Dunno from where you are downloading your torrents but I have never heard about anyone having virus in torrents from sites like bakabt or nyaa which are the only sites you need for anime. I have been downloading torrents for over 8 years from those sites myself.

Didn't know about those sites, thanks for telling me.

Dec 22, 2014 6:36 AM

black1blade said:
I don't get downloading and keeping, it doesn't really bestow any sense of ownership for me. If it's good enough for you to want to re-watch it then surely it's better to buy it.
It would be ideal yes, but it's not an option for some series. If you come across some older show that's never been licensed outside of Japan, the only option to buy it would be expensive out-of-print Japanese imports, if they're even available at all. And at that point, there's not much of a "supporting the industry" argument that can be made if you're buying on the secondhand market.

Swiggy said:
That's a good point. With me, if the net is gone it's no problem since I have a lot of DVDs I can pop in as well. If the net's gone and I'm not at my house with my DVDs though, then I guess that's where it becomes faulty.
DVDs take a lot more laptop battery power to play than downloaded files, though. At least that's been my experience watching on a laptop on car trips.

JumpinJackCrash said:
Streaming because once you go to an episode of an anime and click play, you're already watching the anime in a matter of seconds, and it's so convenient. With downloading, you have to wait several minutes to download an episode of an anime (or half an hour to download an anime movie), to then start watching it, and there's sometimes issues (at least with me), like when my internet goes down for a minute when I'm in the middle of downloading, the download stops permanently even when my internet comes back, so I'd have to download all over again, which is such a pain in the ass. If it happens while I'm streaming, I can just refresh and go to the time I last left it on.

AlucardVampire said:
Downloading takes storage space, time to download and effort to actually find. Can take two hours to download a 24 episode series while making my computer slower.

Do people always shut off their PCs whenever they step away for more than 5 seconds, or are they just incapable of any kind of advance planning? Run torrents (which won't require re-downloading if the network cuts out) while you're sleeping, doing homework, eating, in the bathroom, or while browsing forums/facebook whatever. A few minutes of slowdown isn't going to hurt that much. And really, two minutes to DL an episode or 2 hours to DL 24 episodes is that much time? It used to take half a day to DL one episode with much lower sizes and quality than today, and I can remember spending close to a week downloading some less-popular 24-episode series.

Or, if you fear torrents, learn to use IRC and XDCC bots. The selection won't be quite as good, but most modern/airing series should be available. If those downloads get interrupted, you can resume them, and I believe you can even watch while the DL is in progress if you wait 15 seconds or so after starting.
"You're encouraging the idea of personal gain without paying a price, working hard, or expending effort? Have you no shame? When you refuse to make sacrifices, others end up making them for you!" -- Medaka Kurokami

Dec 22, 2014 10:37 AM

I always download the highest resolution available, even if it takes several hours.
I never keep any anime after I'm done watching it, because my disk is too full > <

Dec 22, 2014 10:41 AM

Download, then delete if I'm done.

Dec 22, 2014 4:09 PM

I download them and keep the ones I liked.

Dec 22, 2014 5:48 PM

I like downloading so I can watch on my phone, but I like buying for my bluray player too. Not into streaming since you don't get to have it at any moment.

Dec 22, 2014 5:55 PM

Streaming is the best way for me.

Dec 22, 2014 6:03 PM

Piss Drunk.

Dec 22, 2014 7:10 PM

Downloading, anything else is for casuals.

Dec 22, 2014 7:22 PM

Download.

Keep good shows and guilty pleasures. Delete rest once completed.

Dec 23, 2014 2:57 AM

I download them and keep the ones I like on an external hard drive and watch them on my wdtv live on my tv. However, the series I like best and are released I buy on dvd.

Dec 23, 2014 3:08 AM

Dec 23, 2014 2:34 PM

I can't buy/stream/w/e on my region so I just use this site I probably cannot mention here. It basically has youtube videos on every anime, but all the videos are unlisted so they don't get taken down.

Dec 23, 2014 4:14 PM

Using a chrome cast to cast a show from my chrome book to the TV. :3

Dec 23, 2014 7:07 PM

I voted DVD/Blu-Ray, and I still think that's true, but last week I watched a coupla shows like that for the first time in awhile and I'll admit it was kinda weird not having the screen really close to my face like I do when I watch shows streaming on my laptop. I guess the larger tv screen does help though...

Dec 23, 2014 8:10 PM

I like to download, good quality and no hassle (bad connection at times). i only keep animes if i rlly enjoyed them or of a friend wants em

Dec 23, 2014 9:23 PM

I torrent Blu-ray when possible, since they improve animation/art, and remove pesky censorship.

Dec 23, 2014 11:54 PM

I prefer DVDs and VHS, but I watch the new anime on my Ipad.

Dec 24, 2014 12:02 AM

Streaming, because pratical reasons and there's no anime DVDs in my country :/

Jan 17, 2015 12:06 PM

Usually, streaming, but I still download from time to time if I do not have a good internet connection.

Jan 17, 2015 12:08 PM

Streaming.
I've been meaning to buy some of the anime I like best on blu-ray or DVD so I can see them in high quality whenever I want, but I never get around to doing it.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »