Forum Settings
Forums

How many of you are actually similar to the stereotypical anime fan?

New
Dec 19, 2014 6:50 PM

Dec 2013
Stereotypically, anime fans are nerdy I guess. Not too athletic, get bullied, into cosplay and collecting little figurines and stuff, overly obsessed with Japanese culture, etc. but how many of you are actually like this?

I find that I'm far from this generalization. At my school people would probably classify me as a jock and I intend to play sports in college and beyond for example. I don't like cosplay, and I'm not into collecting things. While I think Japan's an interesting country, I'm not dying to be Japanese or something like that.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the stereotype if you're like that, but how true is this really? Is the stereotype correct?

Yes? No? Why do you think this stereotype applies to you or was created in the first place if it doesn't?
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 19, 2014 6:51 PM

Sep 2012
I've never been bullied in my life, and I was on the swim team in high school. I'm never gonna cosplay and I don't collect figurines or merchandise.
Dec 19, 2014 6:53 PM

Jun 2014
I've been somewhat bullied in middle school, not that athletic though people have told me I'm really good at being a QB and throwing the ball into tight space, I don't cosplay, but I do collect figurines and other merchandise.
Dec 19, 2014 6:56 PM

Jul 2012
Been bullied in elementary school. Not really athletic but somewhat sporty. I haven't cosplayed at any conventions before. I don't collect anything. Not that obsessed with Japanese culture.

Mar 2014
If someone figures out I like anime, they're usually really surprised and don't believe me. I take it as a compliment.

Aug 2014
i collect figmas, mostly for characters with aesthetics (except killua, i'm buying him for christmas)
i used to be bullied but i know how to counter them and make them feel like shit afterwards
japanese culture is as messed up as western culture
cosplay, aint nobody got time for that

i honestly dont think i even like anime all that much considering how much i shit on other shows, but when i get infatuated with a series i love, i go hard.
Dec 19, 2014 7:05 PM
Sep 2014
No I'm not like that at all
Dec 19, 2014 7:07 PM
Dec 2013
No one knows I watch anime, they wouldn't believe me if I told them anyways.

And no, I don't get bullied otherwise they'd be knocked out by my rasengan motherfucker.
Dec 19, 2014 7:07 PM
Jul 2014
I don't fit the stereotype either.
Dec 19, 2014 7:13 PM

Aug 2014
I don't call myself an anime fan.
Dec 19, 2014 7:13 PM

Jan 2013
I only collect manga. I also plan on getting a Lucina figma but that's it
Dec 19, 2014 7:17 PM

Jul 2012
I wonder if anyone was eating pocky and listening to Kpop while answering this question?

MiraniaDec 19, 2014 7:21 PM
Dec 19, 2014 7:19 PM

Nov 2008
I'm good at archery (I have to or the animals in the woods would give me rabies or eat me), I wasn't bullied over anime or games (I got into some fights early in life from a fool trying to get my lunch though well until said jerkwad took a sandwich that he regretted, it was extra spicy as I wanted a little kick to my salami sandwich, one bite taught him a good lesson not to mess with my lunch). I don't cosplay, I collect figures, drama CDs, some OSTs, OP/ED CDs, BD/DVDs, and Character CDs and I'm not overtly obessed with Japanese culture.

Dec 19, 2014 7:20 PM

Aug 2013
No thanks.
-Anime is nothing more than my last option for boredom. I just happen to be bored fairly often.
-Was bullied a tiny bit in Middle School.
-Though I'm fairly well built, I hate all sports with a passion but love outdoor activities such as swimming, rock climbing, hiking, etc.
-Don't care bout cosplayers.
-Asia in general has interested me since I was a kid.
Dec 19, 2014 7:23 PM

Mar 2012
Not even a little.
Sure, I have a figure, two nendoroids, a handful of DVDs/laserdiscs and a waifu. I even go to the local convention because why the fuck not? Outside of that convention, though, anime stays in my room. The only people who know about it are family.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Dec 19, 2014 7:24 PM

Jan 2013
I'm a bit of a weeaboo, so I guess I fit the stereotype.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2014 7:26 PM

Mar 2008
Not at all
*I'm not super athletic but not horrible.
*I enjoy japanese culture but I enjoy other cultures too. Wouldnt call it obsessed since i think their culture has a lot of bad qualities like any other.
*I've been picked on but i wouldnt call it bullying since it wasnt that extreme.
*Never cosplayed before too shy for it for now.
*I dont own any figurines or a dakikamura
*I cant even name VA's by memory really.
Dec 19, 2014 7:30 PM

Aug 2013
I'm not very sterotypical, and I don't even think that most people know that I watch anime and read manga. They probably wouldn't if they came to visit either, seeing as I have zero anime stash. I was never bullied at school, and played football (soccer) for 10 year so I guess I'm kinda athletic. If anything I was more like one of those obnoxious kids who acted all erratic and did pranks and destroyed stuff for fun. I was a bit of a nuisance to be honest, and I was more likely to mess with other people than the other way around.

Nowadays at uni I dress in flannel/dress shirts, wear black skinny jeans, and usually a coat if it's chilly outside, so my appearance doesn't exactly scream 'nerd.' People's first impression of me is probably that I'm an arrogant/busy hipster, or when I'm wearing dress shirts that I'm a serious student who carries himself a bit too highly.

In all reality I'm a huge nerd though, and I don't really do anything to hide it seeing as I don't mind if people know. I just don't happen to feel the need to express my inner nerd that much. I'll tell people straight away that I watch anime if it becomes relevant, thought. I consider studying to be one of my hobbies ffs.
MoogDec 19, 2014 7:38 PM
Dec 19, 2014 7:45 PM

Mar 2013
Well considering Ive never been bullied, not "nerdy", not into cosplay, and doesn't own any anime figurines, I'd say I'm not a stereotypical anime fan.
Dec 19, 2014 7:46 PM

Aug 2014
I actually hate cosplay and collecting expensive figurine to me is a waste of money.

Never really was obsessed with Japanese culture since they are so xenophobic and never got bullied also.

Also changed to nerd mode to study not for anime.
Dec 19, 2014 9:48 PM

Jun 2014
Reverb_Shock said:
I've never been bullied in my life, and I was on the swim team in high school. I'm never gonna cosplay and I don't collect figurines or merchandise.
who is that in ur signature
Dec 20, 2014 3:37 AM

Jun 2014
I dont fit the sterotype at all but i also dont let anyone know i like anime either.
Dec 20, 2014 4:14 AM

Oct 2013
Me:
- Nerdy - yes
- Not too athletic - yes
- virgin - yes
- gets bullied - not at all
- into cosplay - no
- collecting little figurines and stuff - not at all, not even merchandise of all sorts
- overly obsessed with Japanese culture - not obsessed, just interested
- likes moe - no, at least not in particular. I prefer mature art style.
- has waifu and has her as wallpaper - not really and no
- plays visual novels - no, boring
- collects manga - no, not even popular ones like Naruto and Bleach which some of my friends collect even though they're not weeaboo. I don't watch those either.

My schoolmates will be surprised if I say that I've watched and read more than 100 titles of both anime and manga. I'm not hiding it, I just don't show it off. They know I'm a nerd but not a weeaboo/otaku/whatever you call it. And they're right about that.
Dec 20, 2014 4:16 AM

Jan 2008
I'm not.
Dec 20, 2014 4:23 AM

Jul 2014
I wasn't bullied in school
I'm not nerdy
I didn't play a lot of sport but I love to watch it.
Hell no I don't cosplay or collect figurines.
I could careless about Japan I just like cartoons.

so no I'm not the stereotypical anime fan.
Dec 20, 2014 4:28 AM

Nov 2014
Well, I do cosplay; but they're usually characters from American shows. I own two small figures, but they're nothing more than decoration. I'll have to admit though, I'm not athletic at all. But that has been that way long before I even knew what anime was. I'm not too bad at ice-skating though. And I love to watch soccer games or figure skating.
Dec 20, 2014 4:33 AM

Mar 2012
Not at all.

Don't care that much about Japanese culture, don't own anything anime related, don't cosplay etc etc..
Dec 21, 2014 11:27 AM

Mar 2014
- I wear glasses, and I get fairly good grades, so I'm automatically classified as 'nerd'
- I like singing in various languages (which obviously includes japanese) so the very next question people asked was "anime/manga fan?" I agreed, so yeah, now everyone knows about it
- I hate cosplay and using random japanese words in middle of sentences
- I don't like collecting figures and stuff
- Anime is a way to kill time, so I'm actually not head over heels for japanese culture
Dec 21, 2014 12:01 PM

Sep 2014
I don't watch enough anime or know enough about the culture to be a stereotypical anime fan.
Dec 21, 2014 12:06 PM

Apr 2013
No I'm the complete opposite, thank god.
Dec 21, 2014 12:06 PM

Dec 2014

Me IRL

Seriously though, I mean I guess I fit a lot of the stereotype. I don't cosplay or collect figures, but I also am a horrific geek, I'm so ridiculously un-sporty it hurts, I was bullied growing up, I'm kinda overweight these days (lol who needs exercise) and I rarely go anywhere due to really shitty anxiety.
So I mean yeah, I'm kind of the otaku posterchild. :/
Dec 21, 2014 12:07 PM

Oct 2014
moeanao said:

I'm not athletic at all. Lazy as fuck.
I'm not into cosplay and I don't go to conventions.
I'm not obsessed with japanese culture, I just like anime/manga.

QFT
and No I've never been bullied for watching anime
Dec 21, 2014 12:16 PM
Jun 2014
Sourire said:
No I'm the complete opposite, thank god.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Dec 21, 2014 12:16 PM

Jun 2014
I balance somewhere in between. I'm an Anime fan, but not quite a Weeaboo.

I collect Anime on DVD/LD/VHS, have Anime posters up in my room, and have a cabinet full of Anime figures.

But despite all of that, I don't qualify as an "Official Weeaboo" for 3 reasons:

1. I prefer dubs over subs.
2. I have absolutely no interest in living in Japan, or even visiting Japan for that matter.
3. I hate nearly 90% of Anime made after 2000.

Dec 21, 2014 12:20 PM

Dec 2013
not too athletic - check
get bullied - no
into cosplay and collecting little figurines - lol no
overly obsessed with Japanese culture - check

50/50 it seems
Dec 21, 2014 12:24 PM

Aug 2014
I am what a weeaboo is trying to be.
Dec 21, 2014 12:28 PM

Dec 2014
MechaKiryu said:
I am what a weeaboo is trying to be.

All that and modest, too!
:p
Dec 21, 2014 12:34 PM

Feb 2014
I do kendo and I used to do swimming for about 3 to 4 years, I was also a member of my middle school's soccer team. But on the other hand I collect some anime merch and I have a few figurines, a couple of box sets and a few posters in my room. And I don't have a obsession with Japan as anime is just another interesting entertainment medium that I enjoy and not a religion, I also keep my power level heavily concealed and hidden in public and at school because my school is full of immature retards and I would get attacked and bullied like starved wolves to an injured deer, I don't do cosplay either. So maybe a little but not much
Anti_MetaDec 21, 2014 12:38 PM

Dec 21, 2014 1:40 PM

Apr 2012
Im pretty much of average build, dont get bullied, dont collect anything anime related at all, I dont cosplay and my hair is normal and I am not particularly more interested in japanese culture than others. So yeah you could say I dont fit the stereotype at all. I only care about the 20 min of anime episodes themselves. I dont give a shit about the ballast coming with it.

Except for this community I guess. I do spend some of my time here.
Dec 21, 2014 2:08 PM
Oct 2014
No I wouldn't say that. It's true I have an interest of East Asia, but then I have always been interested of other cultures, so not only East Asia is of interest.

I dress quite handsome I would say. I have no interest of cosplaying. I'm not athletic, but I do some sports and enjoys it. I have glasses though.
"Nerdy", nah just very passionated about what I'm interested of, history e.g.

More important though, is that I'm not obsessed with anime, and do not consider myself as a huge fan of it.

Dec 21, 2014 2:45 PM

Aug 2014
People shouldn't be proud to be weeaboos.
Dec 21, 2014 2:46 PM

Mar 2014
No, I've been bullied a lot of times and I hate sports, but I've never been interested in cosplay or figurines. As for the culture I would say it interests me a little but I am more interested in how the modern Japanese society works as a whole.

MechaKiryu said:

You're an ultraman weeb, you shouldn't say anything
Comic_SansDec 21, 2014 2:56 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 21, 2014 2:52 PM

May 2012
I'm not too much of a weeb, but I occasionally have my phases lel
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Dec 21, 2014 3:09 PM

Aug 2014
Comic_Sans said:
MechaKiryu said:

So what's an Ultraman weeb?
Dec 21, 2014 3:10 PM

Mar 2014
MechaKiryu said:
Comic_Sans said:

People like you
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 21, 2014 3:14 PM

Jun 2014
+I watch anime just because I am bored and there's nothing else to do.
+I don't collect figurines ( why do people waste so much $ when they can clearly waste it on something else?) posters or merchandise.
+ I only own 2 volumes of black butler but I play to buy some more as well as the manga Children of the sea because I can't find all 5 volumes on the internet.
+ I don't own any DVD'S.
+ I'm not bullied because I watch anime (and even if I was I would certainly trow a good uppercut to shut their mouths.)
+ I don't wish I was Japanese and I'm not really obsessed with Japan culture.
+ I don't cosplay.
+ The only reason I 'm not athletic is because I'm lazy.

Look alive sunshine!
The future is bulletproof
The aftermath is secondary
Its time to do it now and do it loud
Killjoys! Make some noise!
Dec 21, 2014 3:16 PM

Aug 2014
Comic_Sans said:
MechaKiryu said:

People like you
That's not an explanation...
Dec 21, 2014 3:19 PM

Feb 2011
:'D

I do sports all the time but its not like i'm very athletic, i did ballet(q____q), karate and tennis and now i just go to the gym (<_< karate i miss you
I don't get bullied in fact bullying is not a usual thing in my country? at least in my zone, there is bad guys everywhere and you can get robbed easily, but always out of school. I have friends in school that also love anime and its all fine, and i'm friendly with all my classmates so they all know what i like, and THIS YEAR I MADE 2 FRUNDS WATCHING THE ANIMU, IM SUCH A GREAT PERSON, -BOWS TO MYSELF-
I cosplayed once in 2011 (;_____________________________________________;)
I go to cons since 2010 (i lOVE CONS)
I have some anime figures(14 and some keychains),some pins, mangas(45), anime magazines(a lot of them..Otaku USA,French anime magazines, Shonen Jump), also have art books about anime(from bleach and naruto and one that ish like multi)
I reallly love Japanese culture like i have never loved other, and i really wanna go there, but its not like i wanna be a japa gurl.
i guess im nerdy? ;_; even tho, i never had problems with it in my life, at least directly (watching the animu & playing games instead of studing)
But ye i'm not a weeabo at all(RIGHT, RIGHT?
Dunno i guess im hybrid lol

I Gusss being a stereotype or not depends on the culture of the person's country +/-
Like in japan there is the called "otaku" right
mhhh dunno if i'm talking about the right thing
qpqDec 21, 2014 3:23 PM
Dec 21, 2014 3:21 PM

Jan 2013
I'm a piece of shit.
Dec 21, 2014 3:26 PM

Dec 2013
I'm far from this stereotype. Never been bullied in my life, not "nerdy", not interested in cosplay, don't own any anime figurines.

While at first i was fascinated by the Japanese culture, now it's just another country for me. Even when i felt fascinated by Japan, i never really worshipped it, acted like a weeb or smth like that. I still consider anime the best form of entertainment though.

I don't worship anime as a media nor a particular series, while Hunter x Hunter is the best anime ever and nothing comes close to it, you're free to have your own opinion as long as you know you're objectively wrong

I do LOVE Hanazawa Kana, but i'm not obsessed with her, nor any name of the anime industry.

I also don't worship anime characters, unless they're absolutely perfect.

I'm not super athetic but i'm not horrible either, currently i'm a NEET though, so i can't accurately tell you. I did take some swimming lessons, but i was never really into sports, you can blame that on my lazyness.

The only connection that you could draw between me and a weaboo, is that i'm socially awkward.

EDIT: Even though it's a rare occasion, i occasionally slip out a 'Kawaii', 'Kuso', or 'Tch', (The latter is a digraph though) , and sometimes i think in Japanese.

Some time ago i watched a video of Hatsune Miku singing to thousands of fans and it was fascinating, didn't really search anything about her after that though.
PriestSlayerDec 21, 2014 3:52 PM
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» what is your favorite ice cream flavor? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Apr 5

63 by sheepberry »»
10 minutes ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - 9 hours ago

16 by Ayumu0Kun »»
19 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

647 by zzz »»
52 minutes ago

» Will aliens finally appear this century?

Absurdo_N - Apr 7

46 by Hikinekomori »»
3 hours ago

» Global enviroment ( comments )

SyrupPastryNice - Today

11 by KittenCuddler »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.