Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 19, 2014 5:56 PM
Oct 2013
With the departures of Trevor Devall and Matt Hill to LA in 2013, the possible loss of their flagship Gundam series to NYAV Post due to Right Stuf's (the company that has made a deal with Sunrise to be the future distributor for the Gundam series) close ties with that company, and Viz and AoA not bothering to use Vancouver as an alternative to LA union-contracted dubs (which actually are more expensive than Vancouver dubs and it's getting increasingly hard to hire Union-only VAs in the LA area to appear in dubs ever since the recession), are Vancouver dubs going to go by the way of the dinosaur?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 19, 2014 7:56 PM

Dec 2009
Considering that Ocean still has My Little Pony to make them money until the end of time, I don't think they're in that much danger.
Dec 19, 2014 11:00 PM
Oct 2013
XTApocalypse said:
Considering that Ocean still has My Little Pony to make them money until the end of time, I don't think they're in that much danger.

To be exact, MLP:FIM isn't recorded at Ocean but is recorded at another Vancouver-based studio: Voicebox Productions.

Anyways, I think Ocean might resurge in dubbing if the USD/CAD ratio improves to a favorable level (i.e. pre-recession levels, which is currently on its way), which might happen at 2015/2016 at the earliest. For Ocean to convince anime companies that they're still worth the money paid to them, their upcoming dub of DBZ Kai has to be just as good as FUNimation's version

Viz and Aniplex are probably going to be the most likely to outsource to Ocean. Sentai could potentially outsource to Ocean since they have the capacity to outsource dubs to Bang Zoom! and NYAV without too much difficulty (they were able to outsource what amounts to 4+ cours worth of content to them, so they could do something similar with Ocean).
DomayvDec 20, 2014 4:56 PM
Dec 20, 2014 4:55 PM

Mar 2014
It's the currency exchange rate. Due to the state of the economy, the cost for outsourcing dubs to Canada is much higher than it was long ago. You also forgot to mention that David Kaye(Famous for voicing Megatron in Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and the Unicron Trilogy.) departed Ocean studios a few years ago. As for the NYAV Post, I commend them for making my favorite dub of all time, Gundam Unicorn, plus they're rarely used. Last but not least, Union dubs cost more than non-union.
SwatKat1990Dec 21, 2014 8:35 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2014 7:01 PM
Oct 2013
SwatKat1990 said:
It's the currency exchange rate. Due to the state of the economy, the cost for outsourcing dubs to Canada is much higher than it was long ago. You also forgot to mention that David Kaye(Famous for voicing Megatron in Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and the Unicron Trilogy.) departed Ocean studios a few years ago. As for the NYAV Post, I commend them for making my favorite dub of all time, Gundam Unicorn., plus they're rarely used. Last but not least, Union dubs cost more than non-union.

According to Mike McFarland, the cost difference between union and non-union dubs (at least in LA) are minimal, so it wouldn't matter too much in terms of cost if the dub was union-contracted or otherwise (the real obstacle to union dubs is having to sign contracts with the SAG-AFTRA due to their uber-retarded "Global Rule Number One" policy). The only reason why Texas dubs are usually cheaper than LA is because of that state's Right-To-Work laws. Also to mention is that it's possible for both Vancouver VAs to appear in US-based non-union dubs without too much difficulty (as shown with Brad Swaile appearing in Street Fighter X Tekken, which is a non-union) since the UBCP (the union representing Vancouver voice actors) is much more lenient towards letting their VAs appear in non-union productions compared to the SAG-AFTRA since they don't have that "Global Rule Number One" policy or something similar.

As for David Kaye, everyone knows that he has left to California years ago and has since been succeeded by Michael Daingerfield Hall in the Vancouver voice acting scene (as shown with Sesshomaru and Treize Khushrenada), and NYAV's been getting more dubs in the past few years.
DomayvDec 21, 2014 5:22 PM
Dec 22, 2014 5:50 PM

Mar 2014
Look at New York, the only stuff they're dubbing is Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh. I wish New York was dubbing more than just that, and NYAV is a New York studio, Texas dubs have oversaturated the U.S. anime market to the point of insanity.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2014 2:01 AM
Oct 2013
SwatKat1990 said:
Look at New York, the only stuff they're dubbing is Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh. I wish New York was dubbing more than just that, and NYAV is a New York studio, Texas dubs have oversaturated the U.S. anime market to the point of insanity.

Texas has always been dubbing virtually everything since the mid-2000s when ADV and later FUNimation began to take the lion's share of anime titles. Ever since CPM went out of business, Media Blasters cutting on its budget, and Right Stuf deciding to make whatever they release sub-only NY's been having a tough time in the dubbing game, though they seem to be in a better situation than Ocean since they've been getting a bunch of dubs of various anime movies.
Dec 23, 2014 10:44 AM

Dec 2009
At the very least, FUNimation does open casting all the time for their dubs, so they're not nearly as stale as they could be. Frankly, I think you hear the same voices in FUNi dubs less often than you do in those other companies, there are just many more FUNi dubs so you hear them more.

That said, who dubbed Bleach and Naruto? Wasn't that NYAV?
Dec 23, 2014 11:39 AM
Oct 2013
XTApocalypse said:
At the very least, FUNimation does open casting all the time for their dubs, so they're not nearly as stale as they could be. Frankly, I think you hear the same voices in FUNi dubs less often than you do in those other companies, there are just many more FUNi dubs so you hear them more.

Studiopolis dubbed Naruto and Bleach.
Dec 23, 2014 12:35 PM

Mar 2014
Domayv said:
XTApocalypse said:

Studiopolis also dubbed Tiger and Bunny, and Studiopolis is a Californian studio, NYAV is a New York studio.
SwatKat1990Dec 23, 2014 12:39 PM
Dec 23, 2014 1:47 PM

Dec 2009
Studiopolis, that's who I was thinking of.
Dec 23, 2014 1:56 PM
Oct 2013
SwatKat1990 said:
Domayv said:

Studiopolis also dubbed Tiger and Bunny, and Studiopolis is a Californian studio, NYAV is a New York studio.

NYAV also has an LA studio, and that's where most of their more recent dubs are done nowadays since they feature LA talent like Stephanie Sheh and Yuri Lowenthal.
Dec 30, 2014 5:38 PM

Mar 2014
Texas dubs are starting to become stale.
Apr 3, 2015 1:27 PM
Oct 2013
SwatKat1990 said:
Texas dubs are starting to become stale.

agreed

forgive me if my replay took too long.
Dec 20, 2022 1:54 PM
Apr 2022
SwatKat1990 said:
haven’t you seen the dubs of Beserk, Giant Robo, Rayearth Ova, Slayers, Utena, Samurai Deeper Kyo, and Desendence of the Dark those are great NY dubs.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.