Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 20, 2014 3:08 PM
Mar 2012
Shaniyaz said:
Why didn't they let Kagami join the team too? He's an excellent fighter and could've helped them defeat the Orochi.
I don't think he would have done that. Saving Chutaro is settling a debt, making it even. Fighting for the common good would have been a too big step in such a small amount of time.

I really didn't think that Tenka would survive, right till the end.

I think this series really would have been better with more than 12 episodes. It seemed a bit rushed sometimes. Not quite fair for the series,
Dec 20, 2014 3:51 PM
Apr 2014
Nice end except the fight against the orochi. It was too powerful to be killed for hundreds of years and then this lame hit just kills it? Could have been better.

Ahh well at least Botan and Hirari found together again and Nishiki survived(I could have bet that Shirasu kills her). That's all it needs for me to be a good end.
Dec 20, 2014 11:26 PM

Oct 2013
chutaro hugging his tenny during the middle part before going off with soramaru, so cute.
didn't expect sora to punch tenny. lol.

tenka is really the king of the town, the general the love.

I didn't really like shirasu end but I think he's alive.

the grouping of the seniors and juniors are fun. sosei and tenka best bromance.

overall, I really, really love this show. 9/10.
Dec 21, 2014 1:19 AM

Dec 2013
This series is meh. Decent plot, setting and character design. But overall, the series is quite underwhelming.
6/10
Dec 21, 2014 7:00 AM

Apr 2014
My Thoughts about the Final Episode:

The Anime had skipped and altered a lot of scenes in this final episode.

But I guess they had changed those to make the ending better which is I loved because Botan, Hirari, and Nishiki just left/disappeared
when the Orochi was been slayed and it is the best thing they made. Or they are just slacking off.

So I'll give this 8 out of 10 over all. Now It's time for me to read Donten ni Warau Gaiden Manga!
RayzerDec 21, 2014 10:13 AM
Haters always gonna hate.
Dec 21, 2014 8:31 AM

Aug 2013
Great final episode! I really liked this show! Definitely 9/10 for me :D

Those abs ♡_______♡
Dec 21, 2014 11:01 AM

Jan 2014
This was a really cute little show, and I liked it a lot ^-^
Dec 21, 2014 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
So sad...so happy and sad at the same time for this episode and this anime. It was one of my favourites this season. It had everything from comedy to romance and drama. I'm so glad they defeated the Orochi and the 3 brothers and everyone else got a happy ending but so sad to see this anime go.
All good things come to an end though.
Now it's time to read the manga. :)
Final Score: 9/10
Dec 21, 2014 1:32 PM

Nov 2014
Just like the brothers, I don't forgive Shirasu but I felt sad for his suicide.
Awesome ending, great anime overall.
8/10
Dec 21, 2014 2:06 PM

Apr 2008
I really liked this episode. It's great to see everyone together happy. I definitely enjoyed this anime more than I originally planned.

Still kinda mulling over the score, but this was pretty good! I'm thinking 7/10.

Dec 21, 2014 3:55 PM

Jun 2014
Mugen900 said:
For Shirasu to kill himself was just too pretentious, no way would a ninja kill himself like that.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

When it is ever "confirmed" that he's dead xD
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Dec 21, 2014 10:05 PM

May 2010
Soramaru's reaction on seeing Tenka could use some more work, but guess they did their best with what they had.

There's no way Soramaru can surpass Tenka tho. Whatever he does, Tenka is just too good. Even if he does, it will be for plot's sake.

Loved dat Kagami/Chutarou scene and that Botan/Hirari scene.

I couldn't see how a bunch of people could be equal to Fuma clan, that was an asspull. Those ninjas should have at least killed some of the good guys but no. The orochi was defeated quite easily, too. Also, Shirasu could use a few minute or so. It was quite an important scene, but the development to it was rushed.

But man this show ended on a high note. I didn't enjoy the first half that much but, the almost the entire last half was great. I think Considering how I ended up enjoying more than other series, it deserves at least an 8... for now.
Dec 21, 2014 10:18 PM

Dec 2010
This was an awful episode. I rolled my eyes at how Tenka and what's his face survived the Orochi blast without any kind of explanation.
Dec 22, 2014 8:57 PM

Oct 2011
Emotionally crying T___T
Dec 23, 2014 8:12 AM

Dec 2013
I didn't like this anime very much at the beginning... I was surprised because it became increasingly better! I loved the artwork. And the story was good. I want another season!!
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Dec 23, 2014 9:13 AM

Dec 2012
Really a great anime. I thought didn't like the first episodes, because there are too slow. But I was wrong, these episodes were necessary to create this perfect plot.

Donten ni Warau ends among my favorites. 9/10
Dec 23, 2014 11:41 AM

May 2014
I liked this anime from the beginning but still got better and better. Amazing anime. Tenka too cool 9/10
Dec 23, 2014 11:50 PM
Jul 2018
Awesome episode, I'm so glad everything turned out okay in the end.
Dec 25, 2014 3:42 AM

Dec 2013
Dark horse of the season 9/10.
One of the best stories told well? check.
good development of Kumoh trio? check.
Lots of plot twists that are good? check.
Sad scenes that doesnt feel forced and actually make you love the story? check.

Honestly no complaints from me except the ending battle felt rushed and Shirasu part lol. This anime really surprised me though, I was thinking it was going to be so boring but it really made me love this anime.

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Dec 25, 2014 10:23 PM

Oct 2012
Zadion said:
If only Soramaru and Nishiki's inevitable romance had been further explored, then this truly would've been a perfect ending.

^ This. I would have loved for some romance between the two~ But overall, I'm very happy with this ending ^_^
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Dec 26, 2014 8:30 PM

Oct 2007
Acceptable conclusion for the show, not that it could have been better anyway.

gust11 said:
Zadion said:
If only Soramaru and Nishiki's inevitable romance had been further explored, then this truly would've been a perfect ending.

^ This. I would have loved for some romance between the two~ But overall, I'm very happy with this ending ^_^
Unfortunately, this isn't a show about that but more about brother relationship. To actually being this good, in itself is already great enough. Still, IMO, I think Hakkenden is a little better.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Dec 28, 2014 12:51 PM

Aug 2011
Loved everything about this anime!!!! Family, camaraderie, romance, etc., all is questioned at some point in the story with a positive ending. Of the brothers, I can't decide which was my favorite, but each holds a special place for a specific reason.

I was happy Nishiki chose the Kumoh's, and also wanted to see something blossom between her and Soramaru. Other than expecting more action in the ending fight scenes, I have no complaints. The 'grand f**kery was tops for an anime series and I enjoyed the curve balls.

Rating: 10/10
Dec 31, 2014 9:48 AM

Jul 2013
Black_wind said:
I am going to pretend Shirasu is alive and well though. Did you show me his dead body?no,you didn't *denial ftw*

This xD
Moreover, a great show.
YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT
SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY...
Jan 1, 2015 1:46 PM

Dec 2012
Shirasu's death was beautiful.
Jan 4, 2015 1:26 PM

Oct 2009
The show started out pretty mediocre but had quite a few nice moments, turned out to be pretty decent :)

Biggest problem with this was that it was rushed. Especially these last two episodes, after Sora completely changed into Orochi, the rest was pretty underwhelming. There was no real development for the characters thereafter, the atmosphere around the whole thing was pretty dull, not really tragic. It just all happened too fast.

Worst of all the lack of Nishiki disappoints me greatly T_T

But the ending itself was really nice ^^

Critical score would be 6/10, but I liked it more than I should 7/10.
I might check out the manga...
AozureJan 4, 2015 1:29 PM
Jan 6, 2015 5:40 PM

Mar 2012
I loved Tenka's character quite a bit....i can't really say why but this show had a good pull on me, was far more entertaining than i originally thought. and for that, i'll give it an 8/10

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jan 8, 2015 7:53 PM
Jul 2014
Decent series, liked the happy ending. I do wish there could've been more character development and a better pacing. 7/10
Jan 9, 2015 12:28 AM
Aug 2011
Lencurryboy said:
I don't really understand why the oldest brother was still alive

well they did spend about half an episode telling you why he was alive

I read the manga first but one thing I guess didn't really hit me until I saw it animated, was the relationship between Chuutarou and Kagami.

The brotherly love was great, the Soramaru x Nishiki OTP was also great, but Chuutarou and Kagami were really dynamic because they are so different from each other.
Kind of wishing we could see more about Kagami's past.
Definitely need to get on with the sequel because Nishiki is love and Tenka is also love.

Anyway, my main complaint was that the whole Orochi ordeal felt kind of shoehorned and underwhelming in general.
Jan 9, 2015 11:37 AM

Jun 2013
The townspeople can fight the Fumas without taking heavy casualties? Suuure... It's not like they are facing a deadly assassin clan or anything. LOL.

There was never any real sense of danger in this episode. Everything felt pretty bland and well rushed to be honest. The main villain was taken down rather easily and it felt pretty underwhelming.

As I said there was never really any sense of danger so I'm not exactly super surprised that they all survived. And why couldn't Shirasu give an explanation as to why he became evil all of a sudden? Instead we are given the "death scene" to make it obvious that if the writers want to, they can bring Shirasu back from the dead at any given time. Also fighting for your clan is nice and all, but it feels like a rather weak motive to be honest.

As entertaining as this show was at times, I never got the feeling that anything or anyone was in any real danger. The only time I actually felt something real was when Tenka "died". After bringing him back, all sense of danger was just pushed out the window. Thus making every fight scene afterwards feel like a drag since we know that they are all gonna be just fine.

I'm thinking if this show is average or bad. I'm not sure. Sure there were some heartwarming moments here and there, but overall the show wasn't that special to be honest.

4/10.
Jan 12, 2015 4:22 AM
Aug 2011
What a cheap ending, I'm disappointed :/

I'll still give it a 7 for the laughs in the first 5 or 6 episodes.

Legendary, assumed-to-be-immortal, laser-firing giant dragon killed by the power of friendship! Yay! Peasants killed infamous ninja clan members with their farming equipment! Yay! No one dies! Yay! If I was someone who rates stuff properly I'd give this a 4.
AdramelechJan 12, 2015 4:25 AM
Jan 14, 2015 12:00 PM

May 2012
Overall okay ending, to be honest I expected a lot more from this show. It's probably just me but I just couldn't enjoy watching this series, it had various lacking aspects and the over the top action and melodrama wasn't my thing either...

All in all I found it rather meh 4/10
Jan 24, 2015 8:57 AM

Oct 2013
Stillframe action sequences were freaking lame, probably time sacrificed to animate the Orochi. The story was ok but the Orochi was defeated way too easily, never a doubt in my mind it would die and the townspeople should have suffered heavy losses against the white haired mofos. 7/10 for the story, but overall let's face it felt rushed, especially the combat animation (basically none) and I'm quite disappointed.
Jan 27, 2015 7:08 AM

Jan 2012
plot holes of peace

shit characters except for tenka

decent twist although a bit tryhard-ish

anoher yawning performance by Yuki voicing emo character

6.5/10
Jan 29, 2015 12:00 PM

Jan 2013
Good god this was an amazing ride. I don't care what anybody says 10/10 for me, absolutely spectacular!

Here's some justifications for commonly stated pet peeves about this series:
"Action scenes are bad and poorly made!" - Its not about whether you can see the blade move a fluid motion instead of seeing a sound effect with a still frame shot, its about the overall message of the show itself and its execution of said message. It was presented beautifully with what they had, arguably even better then some high budget action anime that focuses too much on action scenes and not enough on character.

"Characters were not well developed" - Holy cow, how can anyone even argue that the characters weren't well developed? Family, friends, betrayal. Everything was addressed, not a single character left out. Even side characters got their short stories told. The main cast grew to be so lovable, and they had a big one too.

"Predictable and bland" - Did you really predict these ordinary brothers living in a shrine that protect the civilians, would one day fight off a three-eyed giant serpent in the sky, what more, that Tenka would be chosen as a vessel before you even knew about the vessel stuff itself, that he would get executed, but in reality just fake his own death, that Soramaru would be chosen for the next vessel, but actually technically the real vessel, that chuutarou would break bad and try to plan a prison break? NO, no you did not. Absolutely impossible and fundamentally ridiculous. The setup to this anime just doesn't allow it. There's a difference between watching practically all of the series itself and then saying "called it!!" and watching the beginning and actually predicting the events from step one. Clearly no one predicted it, so stop saying you did. If an individual actually did predict this, you're clearly a genius and you should be spending your time bettering the world rather than watching, in your eyes, "predictably bland shows".

"Fight against Orochi was too easy" - Again, it was about getting the message across. They have 12 episodes to get this out and around 9-10 of them were spent on build up and something arguably more important, character development. If you want 100+ episodes long fights, that just get more over the top as you watch them, go watch some shounen series, this series is grounded more in reality, albeit still not entirely realistic.

Its definitely going on my favorites list! Love this anime and its general philosophy about enjoying life.
Apr 9, 2015 8:15 PM

Jul 2013
loved the ending
Jun 1, 2015 1:42 PM
Dec 2014
That was a really good ending. The fight scenes were great and the fact that everyone lived pretty much happily ever after was fab. However, the fact that Shirasou didn't speak the truth of his feelings even at the very end pissed me off. I really wanted them to at least talk properly about it and maybe a flash of what he was getting up to at the end. I was sad with the lack of conclusion when it came to his character. And now I'll never know :( Oh and if anyone has read the manga and can tell me in conclusion what ends up happening with Shirasou I'd be greatly appreciative. Message me ^_^
Jul 1, 2015 6:25 AM

Feb 2012
And they lived happily ever after... except for the traitor Shirasu. I'm not satisfied that they didn't show his body after falling down the cliff. I'm assuming he's still alive.

Would've been better to see more Soramaru x Nishiki moments, but it was still great nonetheless!
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Aug 10, 2015 10:26 PM

Dec 2012
That was such an exciting finale, been a while since I've watched an entire show in one day. The snake itself was a bit anticlimactic with its 1 hit KO, but otherwise the buildup kept me glued down.

Donten ni Warau may revolve around the three Kumou brothers, but the main focus was undoubtedly Soramaru. He starts out blindly trying to close the gap between his and Tenka's strength, but comes to terms with the fact that he and his brother are two separate people and how they should both represent the Kumou family in their own ways. That's not to say he's given up on surpassing Tenka, but he now has direction and meaning in why he wants to grow stronger.

The one character I found particularly fascinating was Shirasu. I like how in his final moments he said "I too have a place I call home." There wasn't any internal struggle or sentimental flashback evil turned good moments, he knew who he was and treasured both his time with the Kumou brothers as well as his Fuma lineage. Ultimately, however, he chose his clan and I can't help respecting him as an antagonist for his composure to see it through.

One of the main themes I really took away from this is how powerful laughter can be. That laughing/smiling in the face of adversity, difficulty, and opposition can go a long ways in showing how strong a person truly is. I've seen this addressed in other shows as well (Rokka no Yuusha) and it's starting to rub off on me. It's not like putting on a mask when you're sad, but defying sadness itself by becoming stronger than it.

I guess I really can't trust the grapevine on MAL, I had heard people say that this show only got good at episode 6 but personally the build up to that moment onward was equally as important and nearly just as enjoyable to me. It starts out establishing the lore and characters and then twist after twist after mayhem and twist, it just kept coming.

8.5/10, from now on whenever I have a gut instinct to watch something, I'll be sure to do so instead of dancing around it for months.
ZekkenshinAug 10, 2015 10:29 PM
Sep 13, 2015 12:16 PM

Jun 2013
I found this to be somewhat boring. Nonetheless, it was quite enjoyable and funny. I feel that they could have had more episodes as the show did feel rushed and all the explaining could've have been shorter so that we could focus more on the main story line. Like they wasted a whole episode to explain Botan and Hirari's relationship and the whole Orochi thing was unnecessary. Instead they could've focused more on Tenka leaving the Yamainu or Soramaru becoming stronger. The ending was dull. I mean after all the effort in reviving Orochi it dies so easily just like that Fuma ninja. Overall 6.5/10
Dec 6, 2015 3:24 AM

Aug 2013
I thought the second half of this series was disappointing. It had too many twists and turns for me. I wish they kept it more simple.

6.5/10
Jan 6, 2016 11:06 AM

Jun 2015
This was wonderful and the best thing is Tenka didn't die
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jun 21, 2016 2:31 PM

Feb 2015
I've all these feelings and I don't know what to do with them!

Nov 5, 2016 1:46 PM

Feb 2014
WOW THAT WAS EPIC.

I heard of this show back when it was airing and took a look at it and was like "eh". But then I stumbled upon it about a month or two ago and decided I really wanted to watch it. And I was super happy with it! The story was really engrossing and I feel like mostly everything got wrapped up in the end.

The story was pretty interesting and all those plot twists really kept me on the edge of my seat! I really liked the setting and animation, and tbh that OST was pretty awesome at times! But probably the best part about this show was the characters. While there was betrayal and twists and turns, the one thing you could be sure about was that the brothers loved each other and were so close! I don't have a favorite brother, but I really enjoyed this family connection. Imo this series was sooo good! 8+/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 1, 2016 11:43 PM

Oct 2015
The first half of the series was great and second half it went down spiral. The way they defeated the Orochi was not that good, i think they should done better. I think it the ending was done to please people who like happy endings and not on logic.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 1, 2017 8:14 PM

Mar 2010
rewatched this in english dub , wow the feels ^_^ changed my score from 7 to 8 per 10.
Also , I was skipping the opening so I didnt suspect shirasu even when I watched the japanese dub.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2018 4:41 PM

Apr 2017
Wow what a great anime I was surprised that I liked it Tenka he is my favorite character in this series he reminds me of Yato from Noragami and Dazai from Bungo Stray Dogs.
Also Shirasu surprised me I thought he will sacrifice himself to save Soramaru but that didn't happen.
Soramaru he wants to see Shirasu again I think he is prisoned in Gokumonjo I need to find out what happened to him by reading the manga.
Also anybody anticipate the movie?
Jul 1, 2021 12:22 PM

Jul 2015
Despite being a traitor its still sad to see Shirasu gone like that considering he spent 10 whole years with the brothers. Well at least things ended on a good note with everyone together laughing....under the sunny skies and not the clouds

May 22, 2022 7:34 AM

Aug 2016
This show was so fucking bad holy shit....... Time to watch the movies! 2/10
Dec 15, 2022 2:32 AM
Nov 2021
so great , still waiting for season 2
Dec 15, 2022 2:33 AM
Nov 2021
so great , still waiting for season 2
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Donten ni Warau Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2014

73 by LeonhartAugust »»
Nov 1, 2023 7:33 PM

Poll: » Donten ni Warau Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2014

52 by OberonFelsach »»
Sep 12, 2023 6:00 AM

» Is it worth watching?

Deskachan - Dec 16, 2014

12 by Barry_Allen_14 »»
Feb 9, 2022 12:47 AM

Poll: » Donten ni Warau Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2014

46 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 1, 2021 12:02 PM

Poll: » Donten ni Warau Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2014

87 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 1, 2021 11:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.