Forum Settings
Forums

Are animes better when the MC is extremely smart.

New
Is anime better when the MC is extremely smart.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 19, 2014 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
ninjastarforcex said:
Andomarn said:
People tend to like protagonists that are similar to themselves,

really? why?

Isn't it obvious? Because they want to feel like they're a part of the anime they're watching. This is the case with most people, it's called escapism.
Dec 19, 2014 10:28 AM

Jan 2014
I'd say it depends on the nature of the show and could give examples that go both ways.

for the argument above, I agree with Killaclown for whatever it's worth
Dec 19, 2014 10:33 AM

Jun 2013
Andomarn said:
ninjastarforcex said:

really? why?

Isn't it obvious? Because they want to feel like they're a part of the anime they're watching. This is the case with most people, it's called escapism.

lol, is this some kind of chuunibyou/delusion or something? I've never met people like that. Not really obvious to me.
Dec 19, 2014 10:34 AM

Jun 2011
gombo said:
I'd say it depends on the nature of the show and could give examples that go both ways.

worth something to me *tear* lol

@ Mikasa- seriously just google "tvtropes to dumb to fool" where it will explain it better and even have Gon under the Examples... if you don't agree with that stuff their isn't really much else for me to say short of re-watching hunter x hunter and finding every instance :p
Dec 19, 2014 10:46 AM

Jan 2014
Killaclown said:
gombo said:

@ Mikasa- seriously just google "tvtropes to dumb to fool" where it will explain it better and even have Gon under the Examples... if you don't agree with that stuff their isn't really much else for me to say short of re-watching hunter x hunter and finding every instance :p

Trying to get him to say Gon is dumb is as impossible as getting him to say Naruto's war arc is well written.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 19, 2014 10:49 AM

Jun 2011
RedRoseFring said:
Killaclown said:

Trying to get him to say Gon is dumb is as impossible as getting him to say Naruto's war arc is well written.
I know..... I have a problem of not walking away from arguments that are unwinnable lol (IRL to)
Dec 19, 2014 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
Impala said:
Andomarn said:

lol, is this some kind of chuunibyou/delusion or something? I've never met people like that. Not really obvious to me.

Chuunibyou? Escapism is chuunibyou? No.
Just because you've never met people like that doesn't mean they do not exist. They might be closer to you than you think.
Dec 19, 2014 11:15 AM

Nov 2012
Andomarn said:
ninjastarforcex said:

really? why?

i think i get it, thats why i really like servantxservice even though its sliceoflife shit
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Dec 19, 2014 11:25 AM

Feb 2014
LightBrand said:
HaXXspetten said:
Well the concept the show was going for wasn't to raise suspension over who would win or lose, it was to make the actual games themselves as over-the-top exaggerated and entertaining as possible. It emphasizes the journey rather than the ending so to speak.
The amount of suspense wasn't one of the issues I had with the show. I found No Game No Life to be one of the most entertaining anime I've seen. It's actually the only anime I re-watched within 2 weeks of first seeing it. My main problem was how overpowered Sora and Shiro were. They both had so much knowledge from being from another world, and they were able to hold their own against people from Disboard just by reading the history books and stuff. And to top it off, a lot of the time they were allowed to combine their knowledge during the games. So pretty much anything Sora didn't know, Shiro did (and vice-versa). It just felt really contrived to me.

Also, I disagree that the show wasn't trying to raise suspension. A lot of the fun of watching the games came from waiting to see what move each player would make. Suspense is in the nature of gaming, if you ask me.

Nah, it's just like someone already said, it was like yugioh battle. The suspense was so fake that you shouldn't care about it, like the destiny draw for MC. We really don't know a thing about every cards in MC's deck, but something that could always turn the tide will appear as plot demand it, that's how NGNL works, too.
Dec 19, 2014 11:33 AM

Sep 2012
PrOxAnto said:
Inferno_Cop said:

Because they are not real.

You could imagine they are, or imagine you're real over there.
Also having feelings for something doesnt automatically mean it has to be real.
Anyhow, I'm sure there's a lot of people to have certain feelings for characters, be it anime, normal series, films etc.

Doesn't compute with me. Never felt something like that.
Dec 19, 2014 11:37 AM

Apr 2014
Ofcourse it depends, a show like One Piece, Highschool DxD and Plastic Nee-San wouldn't be as good without the pretty dumb MCs.
Dec 19, 2014 1:03 PM

Jan 2013
Inferno_Cop said:
PrOxAnto said:

You could imagine they are, or imagine you're real over there.
Also having feelings for something doesnt automatically mean it has to be real.
Anyhow, I'm sure there's a lot of people to have certain feelings for characters, be it anime, normal series, films etc.

Doesn't compute with me. Never felt something like that.

Fair enough.
I have though, a few anime actually.
Dec 19, 2014 1:04 PM

Jan 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
Ofcourse it depends, a show like One Piece, Highschool DxD and Plastic Nee-San wouldn't be as good without the pretty dumb MCs.

Exactly, there's shows that do it right, example being One Piece here.
Just like in real life, there's all kinds of people.
Dec 19, 2014 1:37 PM

Mar 2012
Killaclown said:
gombo said:

I know what the trope is, and I just gave points as to why it has no place in this argument, It'd be better if you could add to it rather than repeatedly post the same thing and going in circles...
End Zionazism
Dec 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Jun 2011
Mikasa said:
Killaclown said:

I know what the trope is, and I just gave points as to why it has no place in this argument, It'd be better if you could add to it rather than repeatedly post the same thing and going in circles...
well like I said their isn't really much more to say if you don't agree....
Dec 19, 2014 1:53 PM

Mar 2012
This is not really a matter of agreement really, thinking outside being dumb is factually wrong, you can post all the tropes and memes and it won't change that.

It is kinda sad that people mistake stating facts for stubbornness.
End Zionazism
Dec 19, 2014 1:56 PM

Jun 2011
Mikasa said:
This is not really a matter of agreement really, thinking outside being dumb is factually wrong, you can post all the tropes and memes and it won't change that.

It is kinda sad that people mistake stating facts for stubbornness.
never said thinking outside the box=dumb <.<
Dec 19, 2014 1:56 PM

Jul 2013
It depends; the thing is that you have to be smart yourself in order to write a genuinely smart character.

It's the critical difference between showing a character's thought processes and actions to illustrate they are smart, and just calling a character smart, having him pull random shit out of his ass, and saying "IT WAS ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU."
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Dec 19, 2014 2:04 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
It depends on the writers.
There are some shows that make their characters too intelligent but also hard to relate to. When shows do this, they often lose their audience as well.

Here's a general example, but I can't stand characters (or people) who are intelligent while being condescending to others because of it. That's not really a character most people can relate to, yet we see creators making them anyway.

I think characters of all IQs can have their charms if they're written well though. That's how you end up with/would have prevented things like NaruSasu.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Dec 19, 2014 3:23 PM

Aug 2014
Not necessarily.
Dec 19, 2014 3:29 PM

Aug 2014
Shows become more enjoyable as the characters asymptotically approach my level, yes.
Sieg Zeon!
Dec 19, 2014 4:10 PM

May 2014
It depends. If there's nobody who can even present a challenge to the MC and the MC's plans are too perfect, then the show will probably end up predictable and boring.

Unlike other Death Note fans, I actually thought things were getting more exciting when Near appeared.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Dec 19, 2014 5:05 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
KazuhoYoshii said:
It depends. If there's nobody who can even present a challenge to the MC and the MC's plans are too perfect, then the show will probably end up predictable and boring.

This also.
If it's clear that your MC will always come out on top then it's easy for your audience to lose interest.

That's why it's best to be unpredictable in every aspect of your show. NaruSasu would have been unpredictable, but nooo; we get some predictable ending with hetero all over the place.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Dec 19, 2014 5:25 PM

Aug 2014
how about average
Dec 19, 2014 5:27 PM

Oct 2013
Light wasn't smart, he had all the tools to win and yet he got killed.
Dec 19, 2014 5:34 PM
Dec 19, 2014 5:40 PM
Sep 2014
LightBrand said:
Just look at No Game No Life.

Perfect example of where smart characters can make an anime better.
Dec 19, 2014 6:10 PM

Dec 2013
An anime with a genius MC is fucking awesome always but it would ruin some anime if you replaced a goofy MC with a smart one.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Dec 19, 2014 6:21 PM

Jan 2014
it's alright as long as he can sometimes makes mistake.
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Dec 19, 2014 6:32 PM

Jan 2014
Over-rationality always makes anime feel unnatural, imo. So I go for "no".
Dec 19, 2014 7:34 PM

Jun 2014
Sees "Depends" option on poll.
See that it's the most voted for.
Consider this as you're choosing what to vote for.
Vote for it anyways.
Dec 19, 2014 8:36 PM
Dec 2009
If their written well. In other words, they can't have boring personalities or be omnipotent. They have to be realistically smart, as in everything they do is based on trial and error and they learn from their experiences in the process. Otherwise, I'd rather watch a dumb character who's entertaining!
Dec 19, 2014 8:37 PM

Jun 2014
Nah, just depends on the show.
Dec 19, 2014 9:03 PM

May 2014
Not really, I didn't really like NGNL though it had extremely smart mc.
Dec 19, 2014 9:30 PM

Nov 2012
Only if the antagonist and the supporting characters are smart as well.
Dec 19, 2014 9:58 PM

May 2014
UnoPuntoCinco said:
Light wasn't smart, he had all the tools to win and yet he got killed.

I'd say he did pretty well for as long as he was dealing with L. He did get overconfident in the end though.
Dec 19, 2014 9:59 PM

Aug 2008
It depend. I like character like Lelouch but I also like dumb,clumsy and goofy character Monkey D Luffy.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Dec 19, 2014 10:00 PM

Feb 2014
Major Kusanagi shits on everyone you just listed OP.
Dec 20, 2014 12:25 AM

Mar 2014
Ockap1812 said:
Major Kusanagi shits on everyone you just listed OP.

and the laughing man shits all over her
haha nah gotta love that major though
Dec 20, 2014 3:48 AM

Apr 2014
I tend to like rational/intelligent MCs mostly when they're ignored by everyone else. Even better is when that happens to not-so-bright characters who try to be tsukkomi.
Dec 20, 2014 10:51 PM
Jul 2018
A good example of an anime that would have been shit if it wasn't for the main character;
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru.
Why? Because most romcom's have a terrible wimpy ass main character who in the end, is a love interest for the heroines anyway, in Oregairu it's not the case.
Dec 20, 2014 11:03 PM

Jan 2014
Domon Cashew is dumb as shit and he's fucking awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svpejQ1I7Z0
^^^This is all of you people t(^-^t)
Dec 21, 2014 3:02 AM

Oct 2012
how would the answer not be it depends
Dec 21, 2014 3:05 AM

Apr 2013
An anime is better if an mc is well written, whether he's dumb or a genius.
Dec 21, 2014 5:29 AM

May 2013
Only if it's believable that the character is smart. If you have a character like Inaho from Aldnoah Zero who is just smart because the writers said so, then it lessens the Anime experience.
Dec 21, 2014 9:24 AM

May 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
Only if it's believable that the character is smart. If you have a character like Inaho from Aldnoah Zero who is just smart because the writers said so, then it lessens the Anime experience.

Yep. Perfect example of how not to write a "smart" character.
Dec 21, 2014 10:05 AM

Apr 2014
NudeBear said:
+1
Dec 21, 2014 10:55 AM

Apr 2013
NudeBear said:

^ This
Dec 21, 2014 10:57 AM

Mar 2012
NudeBear said:

Dumb MCs are rarely good.
End Zionazism
Dec 21, 2014 11:39 AM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:
NudeBear said:

Dumb MCs are rarely good.
DBZ, One Piece, Fate/Stay Night, Needless etc. Pretty good shows IMO.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

122 by logopolis »»
37 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 21 minutes ago

8 by Lhundrup »»
38 seconds ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

3 by VeryRedBags »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

208 by PurplePants »»
5 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

982 by xaacaa »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.