Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 16, 2011 8:57 AM

Sep 2009
theyr'e totally piontless...I remember the days I'd search Naruto or Bleach on Youtube and there are loads of crappy AMVs with typical rock background music from Linkin Park..Three Days Grace etc. I thought they were pretty cool at first but after seeing so many ughh It just annoys me nao... T_T
Jul 16, 2011 9:27 AM
Mar 2009
When I was younger I thought they were pretty cool. However, now that I'm older I don't really like them all that much. It has to take a really well done one to get me to like it.
Jul 16, 2011 2:43 PM

Apr 2011
It just kills me to see an amv with the subs in them.

"Enough said."
Jul 16, 2011 2:47 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I wouldn't purposely search an amv cause I find them boring BUT I have founds some good ones so I can't say I hate them , just get rly fed up when ppl send me amvs abt random stuff ~
Jul 16, 2011 3:27 PM
Dec 2007
phongter said:
It just kills me to see an amv with the subs in them.
That just shows it was crudely thrown together.

Jul 16, 2011 5:37 PM

Mar 2011
I never watch them, but they do get pretty annoying when I'm searching for a specific clip and I find it, only for it to be covered by some ridiculous rock song.

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die. And the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.
Jul 16, 2011 9:50 PM

May 2009
I agree with OP for the most part. But of course, there are exceptions. Within the mountain of mostly mass-produced, unoriginal rubbish, I've encountered quite a few AMVs that were very well-done and were actually worthy of praise.
Jul 17, 2011 8:01 AM

Aug 2009
Jul 17, 2011 8:05 AM

Aug 2009
Just gotta know who the good editors are. :p

Jul 17, 2011 9:36 AM

Dec 2009
AMV is like fans mixing their own perception and culture with the Japanese anime culture.

While the fans like the Japanese part, AMV producers' own part may not be well accepted among the others. It could fail easily when the audience start comparing (anime vs the music choice, their own perception vs producers')

For the music, I like performance more. Like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6KuiBg7XVw
OR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5iFD6LmKi4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZin0yK72HU
bottleJul 17, 2011 10:09 AM
Jul 17, 2011 9:39 AM

Aug 2010
They really don't bother me.
Jul 17, 2011 10:23 AM

May 2010
Chavez said:
Depends, I have two AMV's made by Nostromo on my computer. They are high quality and pretty good actually. As for the rest of the AMV's, yes, they suck completely.

If you want to list 80% of all AMV's on YouTube, simply search "bleach in the end" (that is, Bleach the anime, and the song 'In the end').

I loled
Jul 17, 2011 8:12 PM

Feb 2009
Good amvs are almost always so much better than the real thing from real professionals in real studios that is is staggering how it can be done by a single person on a PC.

But most amvs are thought to be only on YouTube, and are often no better than the music played by no talent schmucks that think owning a guitar makes them a musician.

I get all of my best amvs from AMV.org in their original state not as mangled by Youtube, and I only really give the time of day to the ones voted to be in the top 10. Because we already know, anyone can splice a lot of random nonsensical anime imagery to 'my favourite song' which also has no connection, and then upload it to Youtube.

Really, I think the OPs main beef, is it takes too little effort to make garbage AMVs and finding good ones is too much effort routinely. I'd agree too.

But I have heard hundreds of massively awesome AMVs in the last 10 years. They were evidence that some are great at it, but they are also rare people.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Jul 20, 2011 12:37 AM

Jul 2010
No. The people that make AMVs worked hard on it.
Jul 20, 2011 10:51 AM

Mar 2011
It's true that there's a lot of crappy AMVs out there, but if you've been to conventions or seen the AMV Hells, you'd realize that some have an extremely large amount of effort and time put into them. Shin's Extraball video which has won multiple contests in the last year, for example, is probably one of the best ones out there.

At anyrate, the first post was in 2009.
~ Fallen Angel ~

Jul 20, 2011 1:22 PM

Sep 2009
No I don't hate the concept of AMVs. Sturgeon's law applies here too. I find it kinda stupid to hate AMV judging by the average WMM AMV on Youtube. Do you people also hate anime because of Naruto?
Jul 20, 2011 1:24 PM
Mar 2011
most use worng miusc no and im not taking about anison
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 20, 2011 1:30 PM

Apr 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUeCOUpPDw&feature=feedlik

This is my favorite one because it's an AMV with a sweet song with Toradora! that is synced to the music... YOu will see what I mean. It's awesome and the only one without metal/rock music
Jul 20, 2011 4:18 PM

Dec 2008
I will admit that there are a lot of people out there (most on youtube), who think that it just takes putting scenes into a video and adding music, but there are those that know it takes more than that. It takes the editing skills, the eye for choosing a song that will go with the anime that they are making the AMV for, and choosing the right scenes for the right parts of the song making them all flow together basically telling the story (or part of it) into one short music video.

Some examples of ones that I find amazing are:

AMV called "To the Future" by Kazemon15KHR
Using the anime Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Song "This is War" by 30 Seconds to Mars

AMV called "Take Ace Away" by loosecontroI
Using the anime One Piece
Song "Take Me Away" by Globus

AMV called "Without You" by Kazemon15KHR
Using the anime Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Song "With Me" by Sum 41

I haven't seen a whole lot of different AMV's but I know there out there and I would like to watch them. But those three are by far my favorites out of all the ones I have seen. The ones that Kazemon15KHR just sum of everything that the show was about and showed all the emotions into a little package. And the one by loosecontroI, even though it uses the dialogue from the anime I feel it went perfect with it.

TeNoriTaiga- said:

This is my favorite one because it's an AMV with a sweet song with Toradora! that is synced to the music... YOu will see what I mean. It's awesome and the only one without metal/rock music

I love that anime and that AMV really was good.
Jul 20, 2011 10:49 PM

Jul 2009
Generally, I have the same problem with AMV's as I do with a lot of things, there's a lot of shit to wade through. In addition, my taste in music goes to the obscure, and every time I see some AMV with Linkin Park or some other shit like that, I feel like puking. I bet there are good AMV's out there, I just don't know of them yet, and haven't put forth the effort to find them.
May 6, 2012 9:48 AM
May 2012
I made a fucking account just so i could say i hate these damn videos.

ok your asking why people hate them?

oh maybe its cuz WERE LOOKING FOR THE GOD DAMN VIDEO SCENE AND I DONT KNOW just out of no where.....A DOUCHE BAG MAKES A GAY AMV ABOUT A REALLY GOOD SCENE. i get it most people like this shit and thats cool and awesome but do you know how hard it is to find scenes?

so i say to you AMV lovers. you can suck my balls mr amver sir
May 6, 2012 10:01 AM
Apr 2012
I HATE them! Most of the time they use crap music. Not only that, when I try to search for my fave scenes in a anime I cannot find an unedited non AMVed version of it.
May 6, 2012 10:48 AM

May 2011
Jpark said:

Yay! I'm glad someone else has the same opinion on this one. I feel that it doesn't get enough love, though for an amv not from heardyoulikeamvs&associates, it has a lot of views.

And to the whole point of this thread, they're not bad, as long as videos are creative, and the person who made them isn't just sticking two completely unrelated mediums together. Although it is annoying when you see the same cliched bleach/naruto/fairytail with whatever rock music, and to random fight scenes.

Example of a video with a good story/sync (yes, shameless promotion of Pacotacoshell), even though the song is overused by people in real life.

@HitmanGezer, As someone said before, it takes effort to find good amvs without crap music. And as for finding scenes, that's probably because the companies who own what anime you're searching for claim copyright, or people just don't bother uploading them cause they'll get taken down anyways.
May 6, 2012 11:10 AM

Aug 2010
It depends on the AMV. I remember I absolutely adored mo0on12's AMVs and someone else who did a few Shugo Chara ones (I was introduced to AMVs by her AmuXIkuto Hot 'n' Cold one) but a few are just awful and literally just put random clips from episodes of an anime to music without bothering about timing, lyrics or whatever.

^ *prays for the day BBCode allows images again*
May 6, 2012 11:22 AM

Feb 2008
I don't hate them, but I see no real purpose of them, so I tend to ignore them.
May 6, 2012 11:56 AM

Dec 2009
I can't stand them. If there's one thing I absolutely hate it's searching a certain anime video/scene on Youtube and just have the first five pages of results being crappy AMV's with horrible songs.

With that said, there's one AMV I absolutely love, a true classic from the pre-Youtube era.

Ara ara.
May 6, 2012 12:25 PM
Jul 2018
A lot of crappy ones out there, but I've seen some really well made ones too. I love watching them. Sometimes just to watch all the best scenes of an anime I have already finished. And to preview what I want to watch next. I probably would have never watched Ben-to if I've never seen
May 6, 2012 12:34 PM

Dec 2008
I can't stand AMVs. I consider them in the same way I consider fan fiction - an absurd and generally irritating form of fandom.
May 6, 2012 12:58 PM

Jan 2011
Well, from the point of view of the AMV maker, it may hold sentiment to the song and mood of anime they are making a video of (good example: Jason Walker's "Down" to the backdrop of "5 Centimeters Per Second")

At the same time though, there are those just going for the image (example: any kind of metal along with Death Note, Soul Eater, or basically a tiny scene of a show looped to make it look like they are dancing to the song) in which THOSE in particular I hate since there's no underlying meaning the AMV maker was going for except "This looks cool and it's popular right now so people will like it."

So I don't hate all AMVs, just the ones that don't have a meaning behind it. The song and anime used has to relate in a sense, not just in tone but in lyrics. If it just contains the same scene looped, cut and paste, or something just to make them dance to a song, then it's no good (KT Tusntall "Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" done to nothing but the Haruhi dance... Utter crap, but won Best upbeat AMV simply because it was Haruhi and the song was big at the time.)

Comedy AMVs are iffy because are you really looking for a story? But almost the same spirit as the crappy AMVs except you can get away with it. (Big suprise, someone used "America! Fuck yeah!" from Team America and won the comedy category) Just look for an internet meme that's big at the time and exploit the hell out of it.

(Yeah, I based all of my decisions on 2010's Otakon AMV. But it still pretty much points out the valid points. I mean, the year they lifted the time limit on AMVs and someone decides to make a 14 minute Death Note video? It was almost as painful as watching the entire series. That image has been done to death just like Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life")

No, I'm not an expert on AMVs but I watch enough to say there are good ones and bad ones. So not all of them are bad, but some do piss me off as much as the AMV haters.
May 6, 2012 2:18 PM

Dec 2008
wow, u revived the thread after it had been untouched for bout a year :/

anyways, some of the makes good music seem even better if they are shown to the right scenes imo
May 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Nov 2010
Not really, some AMVs are very nicely done, some music fits some anime nicely and you can also see the effort of the editors in some of the AMVs...
May 6, 2012 3:38 PM

Jul 2010
kyrie_kyo said:
wow, u revived the thread after it had been untouched for bout a year :/

anyways, some of the makes good music seem even better if they are shown to the right scenes imo

I don't hate AMVs. Not quite sure what's the point of hating something that you don't necessarily have to watch.

There are really good AMVs out there too. Used to download them often at some AMV website.

At least 5 years ago now.
May 6, 2012 4:13 PM

May 2012
I don't like ones that have no creative spark to them. There are some great AMVs filled with creativity; it can just be hard to find them, that's all.
"Pasta~" Italy from Hetalia: Axis Powers

"Dying or getting killed isn't something unnatural. Living aimlessly without a purpose is." --Kiba from Wolf's Rain

"It is not drunk driving if you're only drinking wine!" --France from Hetalia
May 6, 2012 4:31 PM

Aug 2011
I used to hate them when I the only ones I saw was windows movie maker, linkin park, no actual editing ones. Now when I've actually seen ones that have been done by a good editor I watch them all the time.

May 6, 2012 5:57 PM

Nov 2011
I don't necessarily hate them nor like them. It depends on how the guy creates it, blends the clips together, music, effects etc etc.

I've seen some where I just say, "What the hell am I watching..." then some where I just go "Wow!" and replay it a few times. Got to understand sure it may seem like to you all their doing is taking clips from animes and mixing music with it but they also take the time to actually get clips which fit the mood of the song, edit it to make it visually pleasing, time it properly(if they try and transition a clip at the wrong time it could ruin the whole video) and just a lot more details.

I remember one AMV I had watched for Haruhi Suzumiya it gave the impression to anyone who hasn't watched the show that Haruhi left Kyon for Koizumi giving it a really sad, depressing emotional feel. Even when I had watched the show and knew what really happened it still felt pretty depressing. It's not the greatest AMV i've seen but it's a pretty good example of how someone can take some clips from an anime and take a song then mix it giving it a whole different "story" or outlook on the anime.

Basically any AMV that can provoke the emotions, or is visually pleasing and mixed perfectly with the music is okay to me. Cookie cutter AMVs with poor editing, music, clips though are just bleh. Depends on the AMV I guess!
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 6, 2012 6:31 PM

Apr 2012
i know good AMVs, with JAPANESE music, not america bs..those just doesnt fit in
May 6, 2012 6:33 PM

Apr 2008
I just hate it when I am trying to find an anime clip for part of an episode and all I can find are shitty AMVs that are playing the same song. Aka the ones that don't even have any editing done to them, just clips of an episode with a song added...I am looking at you Linkin Park! lol
May 7, 2012 6:40 AM

Aug 2007
brinan said:

I hate them for several reasons, the people creating them think their the most creative people in the world, when all they do is link a bunch of random clips together and then add music like death metal.

Well, About this, I make AMV, and yes, I think Im a creative person, but I don't beleve I'm the most creative person in whole world, just like you're saying.

You also say: They just pic some random clips together and add music. I don't pic up random clips. all clips of my AMV aren't random

ace52387 said:
I only hate AMV's when i'm trying to look for a certain scene in an anime on youtube and i get spammed with AMV's as search results.

About this, I hate that too. Sometimes I choose a video and I discovered that they have a horrible music insetd of the original one or de dialogues.
May 7, 2012 6:49 AM

Jul 2008
hateing AMV becuse of same bad AMV on youtube
is like
hateing anime becouse same Ecchi anime and hentai

rely folkes we anime fan must know better thin that

we are judged becose of few anime and now we jude same thing for few videos
May 7, 2012 6:52 AM
Mar 2011
I hate AMV when the song does not fit the anime
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 7, 2012 8:17 AM

Oct 2010
i think its just about the music for me , if i like the music i dont mind amv's ; if i dislike the music i dont care if the video is great , i simply cant enjoy it
May 7, 2012 3:47 PM

Apr 2012
I don't hate AMVs, but I do agree that most of them aren't very good. I like watching those few rare amazing AMVs, though.
May 7, 2012 4:16 PM
Jul 2018
I hate those that are just some random music with sped up video, and those with excessive vfx
May 7, 2012 4:30 PM

May 2009
Well, the thing about AMV's is it's a really cool idea but nobody executes them correctly. And no, op, people do not use 'death metal' for amvs. Just because something has harsh vocals does not make it death metal. You're probably thinking of metalcore, which has screaming in it usually with whiny clean choruses. I've actually seen a good amv with actual death metal:

Death Metal:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9BZe9IgKAs
NOT death metal:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvNkk-bLRDQ&feature=fvst

Basically the most amv's are terrible because they involve bleach/naruto put to linkin park/3 days grace/breaking benjamin/ bullet for my valentine try hard emo rock/wannabe metal.

Another good amv, again an eva thing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVVg5Q3ysH8
Evangelion2014May 7, 2012 4:57 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2012 11:56 PM

Dec 2011
I hate AMV sometimes because when I search in youtube an anime fight they are all amv and can't find the origanal one.AMV sucks when you don't like the music specially rock and metal(well for me I don't really like metal/rock music into AMV) and did not fit into the video.Well it depends to the creator when they good or not on making AMV.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2012 3:42 AM

Apr 2012
I like most AMVs especially if the song fits the show/character.
Here's one of those that I like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_UzyR9ql64
Kira Yamato-what I've done
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

May 8, 2012 4:22 AM

Jan 2010
I don't hate since I don't really paid much attention to it, but I do like the one that good and with Japanese song or the song is the anime OP/ED

Example, Angel Beats AMV, with full song of the Opening (my soul, your beats)
May 8, 2012 6:44 AM

May 2012
Yeah, I HATE it when I'm trying to find an original clip and AMVs pop up all over the place. I don't really pay attention to them, but when I do click on one by accident, it always plays a bad song over awesome clips, and kind of just ruins it for me.
May 8, 2012 7:13 AM

Jun 2010
Not all AMV's are bad, some are just excellent:

May 8, 2012 7:36 AM

Apr 2012
Because I am a AMV maker my opinion may be a bit biased but.. I don't hate them. Because, for the good ones at least, it takes a lot of timing and thought to make one. I also see it as a way for people to express their creativity and love for a series. For example some make me see something in a character that I wasn't able to before. Of course I hate the ones that are only slow pictures to a really fast song and have flashing lights all the time. But there are some really great ones out there too. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has put all of their heart into an AMV could understand how hard it is to make one. Of course I also hate the ones that just replay the same clip over and over again to a song that doesn't even match the character or series, but some are really good.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

33 by Oofmastre9000 »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

58 by rose »»
34 minutes ago

» What if Burger is on a stick?

Dragevard - Feb 10, 2022

20 by Rhaelynne »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

96 by neol3 »»
1 hour ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

5 by Kamikaze_404 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.