Forum Settings
Forums

Profile: Add Gender Option for Non-Binary People [Accepted]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 23, 2014 6:32 AM

Dec 2014
Serhiyko said:
zygisrko said:
Lol in my opinion your only born male or female. No matter what you changed it to.

And there are also intersex, who may have both male and female genitals, gonads and even chromosomes. I mean, although such cases are very very rare, but how can you say that person is born male or female if (s)he has both XX and XY chromosomes at the same time

How you say? Because I dont see many very very rare cases walking around and dont bother to acknowledge the 0.1%.
Dec 23, 2014 6:41 AM

Dec 2014
zygisrko said:
Serhiyko said:
And there are also intersex, who may have both male and female genitals, gonads and even chromosomes. I mean, although such cases are very very rare, but how can you say that person is born male or female if (s)he has both XX and XY chromosomes at the same time

How you say? Because I dont see many very very rare cases walking around and dont bother to acknowledge the 0.1%.

A better argument for this would be that in the cases of intersex people, people born with fucky chromosomes (XXY and the like) and hermaphrodites, those people almost always choose to live and present themselves as either male or female. Very few embrace it as a lifestyle or gender identity.

But also it's true that in terms of sex, at least, you're born either male or female. Specifically, if you have a Y chromosome you're male and if you don't you're female. (Or so my GCSE biology textbook said, anyway.)
But that's a question of sex, and not of gender.
Dec 23, 2014 7:52 AM

Oct 2009
utasan said:
But also it's true that in terms of sex, at least, you're born either male or female. Specifically, if you have a Y chromosome you're male and if you don't you're female. (Or so my GCSE biology textbook said, anyway.)

Except when some of your cells have XX chromosomes and other cells have XY chromosomes. So who were you born in this case: male or female?

zygisrko said:

It just proves that your opinion is not worth a penny since it is factually wrong, as I just proved
Dec 23, 2014 8:31 AM

Dec 2014
Serhiyko said:
utasan said:

Except when some of your cells have XX chromosomes and other cells have XY chromosomes. So who were you born in this case: male or female?

That's not a thing I've ever heard of, and I'm far from an expert, but going by the criteria above, you have a Y chromosome, therefore you're male.

Once again though, that person would most likely end up living as either male or female either through their own choice or through the choice of their parents. Why are you so obsessed with mosaicism, anyway, it's not actually relevant to the topic.
Dec 23, 2014 9:22 AM

Oct 2009
utasan said:
That's not a thing I've ever heard of, and I'm far from an expert, but going by the criteria above, you have a Y chromosome, therefore you're male.

But you don't! Half of you, at least

utasan said:
Once again though, that person would most likely end up living as either male or female either through their own choice or through the choice of their parents.

Or neither. That's what the OP is trying to tell us

utasan said:
Why are you so obsessed with mosaicism, anyway, it's not actually relevant to the topic.

It is, this is what it is all about and the only relevant thing to the topic
Dec 23, 2014 9:43 AM

Dec 2014
Serhiyko said:
But you don't! Half of you, at least

Not sure biological sex is measured in halfs, bud.
Or neither. That's what the OP is trying to tell us

Not even close. OP isn't talking about genetic deformities (which are actually outliers and shouldn't be considered separate genders), OP is talking about special-snowflake non-binary tumblr bullshit.
It is, this is what it is all about and the only relevant thing to the topic

Nope, you're discussing sex and genetics, op is discussing gender and indentity. Different topics that, granted, intersect, but are not the same thing.
Dec 23, 2014 1:12 PM

Oct 2009
utasan said:
Not sure biological sex is measured in halfs, bud.

That's what I'm saying, too. Not all of your cells have Y chromosome. Aren't all of your cells supposed to have Y chromosome if you are male? If you answer "no" to this question - you win

utasan said:
Not even close. OP isn't talking about genetic deformities (which are actually outliers and shouldn't be considered separate genders), OP is talking about special-snowflake non-binary tumblr bullshit.

Okay

utasan said:
Nope, you're discussing sex and genetics, op is discussing gender and indentity. Different topics that, granted, intersect, but are not the same thing.

Okay
Dec 23, 2014 1:22 PM

Apr 2013
We all know what this is about. It's alright OP.

Dec 23, 2014 1:46 PM

Sep 2013
humans have only 2 genders.. male and female

anything else you say is invalid

/thread

although you can say whatever you "think" you are on your about me.
Dec 23, 2014 1:48 PM

Feb 2012
y'all so quick to get butthurt on topics that in fact has nothing to do with you.
Dec 23, 2014 2:01 PM

Dec 2014
Lencurryboy said:
lots of transphobia in this thread /:

Not even.
Dec 23, 2014 2:03 PM

Jul 2012
Lencurryboy said:

it's MAL
Dec 23, 2014 2:03 PM

Apr 2013
stop pushing your sjw agenda onto me op
an egomaniac and a fool

Dec 23, 2014 2:07 PM

Sep 2013
Lencurryboy said:
fear what u cant understand
Dec 23, 2014 3:47 PM

Oct 2009
xiaohu said:
y'all so quick to get butthurt on topics that in fact has nothing to do with you.

Who for example?
Dec 23, 2014 4:30 PM

Dec 2014
Serhiyko said:

It just proves that your opinion is not worth a penny since it is factually wrong, as I just proved

I wasnt trying to prove that there is 0.1% intersex individuals in the world or MAL. Lol, I was saying whats the point if there are practically no one on here that is intersex and if there is, they dont make up the rest of the crowd.
Apr 26, 2015 7:03 PM

Apr 2015
I recently joined this site and one glaring thing that I noticed was that there were only the options of "male" and "female" under the gender category. Even though this doesn't affect me personally all that much, it could be frustrating or possibly ostracizing for people who don't fall on the gender binary.

I did a search on gender in the forums and found that someone had mentioned this some time ago, but no one took them seriously.

Note that these days Facebook allows you to set your gender as anything you want.

If this community decides to add further options, we could then discuss what gender labels might be best to add.
Apr 26, 2015 7:06 PM

Feb 2014
Agreed. Having a drop down list for gender on sites like this just feels so useless. Just have a blank box and let people write whatever they want...
Apr 26, 2015 7:24 PM

Mar 2008
Why frustraiting when they arent forced to pick anyway?

Id go for it only if tentacle monster and android are options.

But yeah might as well just be blank.
Apr 26, 2015 7:27 PM

Nov 2011
add an option to "fill in the blank"
people can and will abuse this, but it's the most flexible option.
or maybe add a "neither" option, if you don't want to give users the freedom to choose.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 26, 2015 8:03 PM

Mar 2008
DreamingBeats said:
add an option to "fill in the blank"
people can and will abuse this, but it's the most flexible option.
or maybe add a "neither" option, if you don't want to give users the freedom to choose.
People already abuse male and female by posing as the other so that isnt more a risk really. Let them abuse all they want it does nothing.
Apr 26, 2015 8:09 PM

Jan 2013
Not Specified is fine lol
Apr 26, 2015 8:24 PM

Jul 2013
Monster with Tentacles as an option.
Otherwise, don't count me in.
Apr 26, 2015 8:25 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
As others are suggesting, I would personally like a fill-in-the blank for the gender section and I don't think it would take too much work. Honestly, if devs want to get lazy about it, take the AIM section and rename it Gender.

This would give users unlimited options-- unless there's a character limit, but hey.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 26, 2015 8:29 PM

Jan 2009
just rename that "Gender" feature to "Sex" since there are only 2 sex anyway (male and female)
Apr 26, 2015 8:31 PM

Mar 2012
Why'd you want to hide your gender, that's seriously suspicious.

Yes, I am CD 2.0's overlord.
Apr 26, 2015 8:32 PM

Sep 2012
Not sure why anybody would be against this for any reason.
Apr 26, 2015 8:36 PM

Apr 2015
j0x said:
just rename that "Gender" feature to "Sex" since there are only 2 sex anyway (male and female)

That's actually not true. There are people who are intersex.

13lue said:

Who said anything about hiding one's gender. The idea is to have an option to give a better representation of one's gender.
Apr 26, 2015 8:38 PM

Mar 2012
stephen5000 said:
j0x said:

13lue said:

Who said anything about hiding one's gender. The idea is to have an option to give a better representation of one's gender.

I don't think it's needed as the default should be either male or female.

Why do you need a representation for your gender? You're more than a male?

Apr 26, 2015 8:39 PM

Sep 2012
Um. I identify as male. Therefore there should only be the option "male". Because anything that isn't my experience doesn't exist.

I am a 2 year old.
Apr 26, 2015 8:50 PM

Nov 2011
Swiggy said:
take the AIM section and rename it Gender.
This would give users unlimited options-- unless there's a character limit, but hey.

that's actually a good idea. it's not like people even use aim anymore...
(or even know what it is)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

Apr 26, 2015 8:52 PM

Jul 2012
I find it kind of sad that due to Tumblr's bullshit "demigender" "spacekin" "fictivegender" "autisgender" (Autism as a gender, yes, that's what it is) that these kinds of suggestions can't be taken as seriously was one may think they would and often only leads to laugh and giggles.

I don't care either way though if this option is implemented. If I see someone use a fill-in-the-blank gender option to list themselves as a dragon or god unironically I just know who to avoid forever.

Why the fuck did I make this my 3000th post? Ugh.
Apr 26, 2015 9:08 PM

Mar 2013
YES please. I leave my gender blank for this reason.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Apr 26, 2015 9:14 PM
Mar 2014
I made a similar suggestion a while back and ended up asking a mod to lock it because of the amount of hate. That said, I still support the idea.
Apr 26, 2015 9:19 PM

Jul 2013
ihateeveryone said:
I find it kind of sad that due to Tumblr's bullshit "demigender" "spacekin" "fictivegender" "autisgender" (Autism as a gender, yes, that's what it is) that these kinds of suggestions can't be taken as seriously was one may think they would and often only leads to laugh and giggles.

I don't care either way though if this option is implemented. If I see someone use a fill-in-the-blank gender option to list themselves as a dragon or god unironically I just know who to avoid forever.

I think this is actually a great post for your 3000th. At least, I found it to be a good read.
Being serious, I think it would be something genuinely good to implement.
Apr 26, 2015 9:22 PM

Jan 2009
stephen5000 said:
j0x said:

ah ye like hermaphrodites, so just add it to make 3 sex options then (male, female, intersex) instead of the huge number of genders out there

im for minimalism
Apr 26, 2015 9:25 PM
Mar 2014
j0x said:
stephen5000 said:

ah ye like hermaphrodites, so just add it to make 3 sex options then (male, female, intersex) instead of the huge number of genders out there

im for minimalism

As I insisted in December, we could instead have a gender option for "other"..? The OP's suggestion is much more preferable, but I'm not sure if the community would welcome it.
Apr 26, 2015 9:34 PM

Jan 2009
vodall said:
j0x said:

im for minimalism

As I insisted in December, we could instead have a gender option for "other"..? The OP's suggestion is much more preferable, but I'm not sure if the community would welcome it.

ye "Other" option can be a good replacement for the "Not Specified" option

and also i remember we have this statistics

so that Gender feature thing really should be renamed to a Sex feature imho
Apr 26, 2015 9:40 PM

Apr 2015
I think it's better to use "gender" rather than "sex". "Sex" is personal and medical and not something everyone wants to share. "Gender" is more about who you are as a person.

Btw, does anyone know why this update wasn't pursued back in December?
Apr 26, 2015 9:43 PM

Nov 2011
my guess is that there wasn't much demand back then and/or they were too lazy busy to make the change.

Apr 26, 2015 9:43 PM

Jan 2009
stephen5000 said:

lol get use to it, suggestions in MAL takes a long long time to implement and most suggestions are ignored by the developers, although we got a new and a group of developers now i read on the announcement board so things might change around this part of the forum
Apr 26, 2015 9:44 PM
Mar 2014
stephen5000 said:

At the time, MyAnimeList was under a different management largely known for its inability to keep the site updated.
Apr 26, 2015 11:27 PM

Mar 2012
Yeah, make another choice. "Transexual".

Apr 26, 2015 11:31 PM

Jul 2011
A "neither/other" option like a lot of other websites have seems enough, no need to have a a full list of 20-something neo-genders. Because you know that someone is gonna end up feeling left out no matter how many of those you add.
Apr 26, 2015 11:34 PM

Apr 2015
Harii said:
A "neither/other" option like a lot of other websites have seems enough, no need to have a a full list of 20-something neo-genders. Because you know that someone is gonna end up feeling left out no matter how many of those you add.

Too true. Which is why a fill in the blank could also be useful. But "other" works fine and the person could just expand on this in the about section, if they so choose.
Apr 27, 2015 12:48 AM

Mar 2008
So we have two votes for tentacle monster now

13lue said:
No gender usually means its a teenage girl.

13lue said:
transsexual isnt a gender really though. Its more a description of a state of gender dysphoria. Although transgender can mean a group of non binary genders in general.

stephen5000 said:
I think it's better to use "gender" rather than "sex". "Sex" is personal and medical and not something everyone wants to share. "Gender" is more about who you are as a person.

Aw but id like to see how many people put "yes please'" for their sex.

ihateeveryone said:

Wow i didnt even hear of some of those. People are really retarded about this stuff lately its like no one knows whats a normal varience and think they are any different from anyone.

Does that mean wed have " cis shitlord" as an option too?
Apr 27, 2015 2:47 AM

Mar 2013
13lue said:

Transexual isn't a gender.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Apr 27, 2015 7:45 AM
Apr 2013
Lemongrope said:
Just have a blank box and let people write whatever they want...

Bad idea

traed said:

13lue said:
No gender usually means its a teenage girl.

Truth
Apr 27, 2015 8:42 AM
Mar 2013
this is why we have the non-specified option for people who don't want to put male or female

what a pointless suggestion
Apr 27, 2015 8:49 AM

Mar 2008
JD2411 said:
this is why we have the non-specified option for people who don't want to put male or female

what a pointless suggestion
No its there for people who do not want to disclose it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
11 hours ago

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.