Forum Settings
Forums

Can an anime be objectively good or objectively bad?

New
Dec 14, 2014 12:12 AM

Jan 2013
Anime is said to be a subjective experience.

Often, one will say that sales do not indicate quality.
"Treasure, like beauty, is seen in the eyes of the beholder"

However, is it possible for an anime to be factually or "objectively" good/bad?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 14, 2014 12:13 AM

Nov 2012
no, you can't rate anime objectively
Dec 14, 2014 12:14 AM

Apr 2013
How with all the variables being sooo subjective?!
Dec 14, 2014 12:15 AM

Aug 2011
Yes, Inferno Cop is objectively the greatest anything ever.
Dec 14, 2014 12:18 AM

Jan 2013
VitaminCaim said:

Often, one will say that sales do not indicate quality.
"Treasure, like beauty, is seen in the eyes of the beholder."

Be a good boy and believe in those words of advice.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Dec 14, 2014 12:25 AM

Oct 2014
Nope, even Mars of Destruction can be subjective.
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Dec 14, 2014 12:26 AM

Nov 2012
Even when a bunch of the variables are objectively bad, you're going to find someone who likes it. You can see that with SAO being pretty bad in almost every respect (animation, storytelling, characters etc), but it's loved by a lot of people.
Dec 14, 2014 12:27 AM

Jan 2010
Objectivity creates absolutes which take away any chance to argue, solidifying a hierarchy of shows and tastes. Subjectivity also takes away any chance to argue through making everything opinion-based, which suddenly makes every opinion correct through some vantage point, no matter how absurd.

I don't think this is a problem that can be solved by generalizing.
Dec 14, 2014 12:28 AM

Jul 2012
i feel like for every "shitty" show, you can still argue that it's 10/10 quality honestly

and for every perfect show (you know like LOGH or mushishi on MAL haha), you can argue that it's the worst thing ever
Dec 14, 2014 12:29 AM

Nov 2014
You can rate something objectively. The subjectivity can change a 6 into a 7, for exemple !
Dec 14, 2014 12:32 AM

Nov 2011
mayukachan said:
i feel like for every "shitty" show, you can still argue that it's 10/10 quality honestly

and for every perfect show (you know like LOGH or mushishi on MAL haha), you can argue that it's the worst thing ever

I'd like to hear a 10/10 argument for Human Zoo.
Dec 14, 2014 12:33 AM

Jul 2012
DragonQuest3 said:
mayukachan said:

The second review.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6953/Ningen_Doubutsuen
Dec 14, 2014 12:36 AM

Jan 2010
DragonQuest3 said:
mayukachan said:

Someway, somehow, every show is someone's favorite. The only thing that scares me more then that someone had to imagine, fund, and create these shows for them to exist.
Dec 14, 2014 12:36 AM
Jul 2018
Ofcourse... you might not like that particular show but that doesn't mean it hasn't got its merits.
Dec 14, 2014 12:38 AM
Aug 2014
I think they can on very rare occasion, but usually it just amounts to people throwing around strong words and opinions as if they're fact, especially when it comes to popular series.

However I would not say something like sales figures are a solid argument in regards to the quality of something. Views/Sales do not automatically reflect on what people thought of it, only that they decided to buy it or check it out.
Dec 14, 2014 12:40 AM

Mar 2008
Anime can be objectively bad at making sales, so there's that at least, right?
Dec 14, 2014 12:42 AM

Nov 2011
Shocked said:
DragonQuest3 said:

Someway, somehow, every show is someone's favorite. The only thing that scares me more then that someone had to imagine, fund, and create these shows for them to exist.
I don't think Human Zoo had much of a budget tbh. That said I think most of the bad anime like Mars of destruction and Pupa are simply results from incompetence and laziness.
Dec 14, 2014 12:44 AM

Nov 2011
It works with music too by the way.

Can is objectively good and Radiohead is objectively bad.
Dec 14, 2014 12:44 AM

Feb 2010
DragonQuest3 said:
mayukachan said:

That's definitely one of the easier ones since it's a conceptual work. You either like them or you don't. The short has a clear message, conveys it and is over. Picture book short that fulfills it's purpose.

It's really getting hard with stuff like Skelter Heaven or one of those Flash Hentai. Or The Room.

OT: Anyone thinking about the matter seriously will notice that everyone constantly accepts that certain things are considered 'good' or 'bad' and others aren't. If you don't get hung up on the terminology and call it Inter-subjectively agreed standards or whatever instead of objectivity it's not that hard to accept that yes, Skelter Heaven is just terrible in every aspect and that's not really something that can be debunked with the magical syllables sub-jec-ti-vi-ty. Even if you managed to find some non-trolls that legitimately find it to be a good show, rare exceptions just prove the point that there IS some standard we all agree on since otherwise they wouldn't be exceptions ;).

So don't be afraid of having to face criticism for your favorite show when you stop hiding behind the almighty subjectivity that can immediately end any kind of argument when you're getting uncomfortable with the direction the conversation is taking. You can always choose to ignore criticism if you disagree or don't want to hear it, subjectivity is not needed as an excuse for that and doesn't make running away from an argument any better, objectively speaking.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 14, 2014 12:45 AM

Nov 2012
DragonQuest3 said:

That said I think most of the bad anime like Mars of destruction and Pupa are simply results from incompetence and laziness.

Hey hey hey. Mars of Destruction is many things, but a result of laziness it is not. It's probably got the biggest heart of any anime I've ever seen. The guys making that shit really thought they were making something good. They were definitely incompetent however.
Dec 14, 2014 12:47 AM

Oct 2012

It's not objective in the factual sense, but there is certainly a critical element to which one can compare and contrast to other shows. In any case, the idea of objective merit shouldn't be abandoned as argued by the video.

Dec 14, 2014 12:49 AM
Dec 2014
Define good. Define bad.
You can't objectively rate an anime. It's similar to rating music. It's all about feels.

For those who like Rock, a certain band (let's say Paramore or Evanescence for me) is the best, and they freaking love their song. Meanwhile a rapper would probablt spit on their posters an claiming that 50cent or whatever is the best.

The point is - what means to be good or bad? You'll probably start listing in your mind conditions for a show to be good or bad. Well it's fine, but those work only for you. The definition of "good" and "bad" is different from person to person.

Exemple: while I think that Mirai Nikki is a great show, there are some who say it's just bullshit.
Or while most of the people love Death Note, I can't bring myself to watch it. I heard everyone saying it's a masterpiece, but after reading the synopsis, it just doesn't pick up my interest.
Dec 14, 2014 12:50 AM

Nov 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
DragonQuest3 said:

That's definitely one of the easier ones since it's a conceptual work. You either like them or you don't. The short has a clear message, conveys it and is over. Picture book short that fulfills it's purpose.

It's really getting hard with stuff like Skelter Heaven or one of those Flash Hentai. Or The Room.

OT: Anyone thinking about the matter seriously will notice that everyone constantly accepts that certain things are considered 'good' or 'bad' and others aren't. If you don't get hung up on the terminology and call it Inter-subjectively agreed standards or whatever instead of objectivity it's not that hard to accept that yes, Skelter Heaven is just terrible in every aspect and that's not really something that can be debunked with the magical syllables sub-jec-ti-vi-ty. Even if you managed to find some non-trolls that legitimately find it to be a good show, rare exceptions just prove the point that there IS some standard we all agree on since otherwise they wouldn't be exceptions ;).

So don't be afraid of having to face criticism for your favorite show when you stop hiding behind the almighty subjectivity that can immediately end any kind of argument when you're getting uncomfortable with the direction the conversation is taking. You can always choose to ignore criticism if you disagree or don't want to hear it, subjectivity is not needed as an excuse for that and doesn't make running away from an argument any better, objectively speaking.

Just to say since you mentioned the Room its fair to say some of that stuff is a masterpiece in the so bad its good kinda way which I do think is a legitimate reasoning.
Dec 14, 2014 12:52 AM

Nov 2011
Miraclezify said:
DragonQuest3 said:

That said I think most of the bad anime like Mars of destruction and Pupa are simply results from incompetence and laziness.

Hey hey hey. Mars of Destruction is many things, but a result of laziness it is not. It's probably got the biggest heart of any anime I've ever seen. The guys making that shit really thought they were making something good. They were definitely incompetent however.
Every time I see your avatar I get nostalgic for Sakigake.
Dec 14, 2014 12:53 AM

Jan 2011
VitaminCaim said:
However, is it possible for an anime to be factually or "objectively" good/bad?
Well if absolutely everyone liked/hated it maybe, so in other words no.
Dec 14, 2014 12:57 AM

Dec 2013
Shrabster said:

It's not objective in the factual sense, but there is certainly a critical element to which one can compare and contrast to other shows. In any case, the idea of objective merit shouldn't be abandoned as argued by the video.

I've seen all those masterpieces at the beginning of the vid. Our "modern" art museum featured a square white canvas with a line drawn from diagonal to diagonal, one half filled in black...I cried LOL.
Dec 14, 2014 1:07 AM

Feb 2010
DragonQuest3 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Just to say since you mentioned the Room its fair to say some of that stuff is a masterpiece in the so bad its good kinda way which I do think is a legitimate reasoning.

There is no such thing as 'so bad it's good' only 'so bad it's fun' imo. :P
That's usually how it's meant anyway, but when you take it literally it's just a statements that contradicts itself.
And in that sense not really a useful argument in this context.
Dec 14, 2014 1:13 AM

Feb 2014
Objectivity is basically found in measurable aspects of something.
An anime can be better than another in one aspect, but worse in an other.

So to objectively judge something you have to decide beforehand what aspect you're going to judge. You can't talk about comparisons when talking about every aspect of something.

A 30cm ruler is objectively longer than a 20cm ruler. But is it better?
If you want a ruler that fits in your pencil case, then the 20cm one is objectively better, but if you want one that can measure larger lenghts then the 30cm one is objectively better.

Its all about your point of view.
Dec 14, 2014 1:19 AM

May 2013
FloatingList said:

That's just how entertaining the viewer found it.
Dec 14, 2014 1:19 AM

Feb 2014
Almost all anime are objectively bad.
Dec 14, 2014 1:47 AM

Oct 2014
KokkoClaus said:
FloatingList said:

Exactly.
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Dec 14, 2014 1:57 AM

Feb 2010
FloatingList said:
KokkoClaus said:

Exactly.

Entertainment is not the same as quality, despite what the mass media want you to think. Someone can be entertained by how bad a show is, but that statement already implies that it is in fact bad, so it can't be good at the same time, just fun to watch because of how particularly bad it is.
Dec 14, 2014 2:01 AM

Oct 2012
FloatingList said:
KokkoClaus said:

Exactly.
You can't give a critically legitimate argument that Mars of Destruction is better than any given classic or highly revered anime. At that point, it might as well be a fact.

Dec 14, 2014 2:02 AM

Jan 2014
no you can't. what you found objectively good maybe shit to the other and vice versa. there is no way to determine it
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Dec 14, 2014 2:10 AM

Dec 2013
Ckan said:
Anime can be objectively bad at making sales, so there's that at least, right?

Sales being good or bad is also a subjective matter
Dec 14, 2014 2:11 AM

Jul 2014
only in terms of animation.
Dec 14, 2014 2:12 AM

Feb 2010
ChaosSaviour said:
no you can't. what you found objectively good maybe shit to the other and vice versa. there is no way to determine it

That doesn't undermine the argument though. Something can be objectively well-written, well-constructed with great animation and detailed art and no other apparent flaws but still lack individual appeal in areas that can't be critically assessed. Like 'I don't like this color palette because I like yellow more than green' or simply 'this is a genre I don't like' or 'I hate this because I didn't do my research and had completely wrong expectations'.

Not liking something doesn't make it automatically bad even if lots of people try to convince themselves otherwise. Not everyone sees enjoyment/entertainment as the ultimate form of quality and therefore always implies one if he mentions the other.
Dec 14, 2014 2:20 AM

Jul 2013
Nothing ever is objective. Even facts aren't. As long as there's something known as opinions and perspectives that is.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Dec 14, 2014 2:22 AM

May 2013
Tyrantarmy6 said:
Nothing ever is objective. Even facts aren't. As long as there's something known as opinions and perspectives that is.

pls no
Dec 14, 2014 2:25 AM

Nov 2009
No, because "good" and "bad" are subjective. Objectivity is something extremely simple to understand so it baffles me that this is a legitimate question.

Sep 2013
Tyrantarmy6 said:

To survive in the daily life we need to treat certain subjective things as objective, unfortunately.

Nov 2011
hentai_eucli said:
Objectivity is basically found in measurable aspects of something.
An anime can be better than another in one aspect, but worse in an other.

So to objectively judge something you have to decide beforehand what aspect you're going to judge. You can't talk about comparisons when talking about every aspect of something.

A 30cm ruler is objectively longer than a 20cm ruler. But is it better?
If you want a ruler that fits in your pencil case, then the 20cm one is objectively better, but if you want one that can measure larger lenghts then the 30cm one is objectively better.

Its all about your point of view.

Exactly. Objectivity is tied to a framework, or in this case personal values. One framework isn't inherently better or more objective than another. They're just different. However, when you don't decide on what aspect you're judging, your relying on emotions/intuition rather than logic. That's how I separate objectivity from subjectivity in rating.

Oh, and I have zero intention of responding to anyone who replies using the philosophical definitions of objective/subjective. I don't care to have a philosophical/semantics debate on the matter for the umpteenth time.
Dec 14, 2014 2:47 AM

Feb 2010
Tyrantarmy6 said:

The lack of complete, uncompromising, philosophical objectivity does NOT automatically mean complete and uncompromising subjectivity though. Anyone who doesn't think in absolutes should know that there are degrees to everything, and while complete objectivity is unattainable we can attempt to get as close as we can for practical reasons. And we all do all the time, even the people who are in denial about the existence of anything that goes beyond their own subjective horizon. They just aren't aware of it. Which makes it all the more weird to watch them talk about complete subjectivity as if it objectively were the only valid way of assessing art.
Dec 14, 2014 2:54 AM

Feb 2010
TripleSRank said:

Oh, and I have zero intention of responding to anyone who replies using the philosophical definitions of objective/subjective. I don't care to have a philosophical/semantics debate on the matter for the umpteenth time.

They do get tiresome, but they're also inevitable since that's the main reason this controversy exists.
People think in absolutes because it makes their arguments easier despite them trying to argue against a mindset that thinks in absolutes. So don't bail on me :>
Dec 14, 2014 3:17 AM

Jul 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Tyrantarmy6 said:

The lack of complete, uncompromising, philosophical objectivity does NOT automatically mean complete and uncompromising subjectivity though. Anyone who doesn't think in absolutes should know that there are degrees to everything, and while complete objectivity is unattainable we can attempt to get as close as we can for practical reasons. And we all do all the time, even the people who are in denial about the existence of anything that goes beyond their own subjective horizon. They just aren't aware of it. Which makes it all the more weird to watch them talk about complete subjectivity as if it objectively were the only valid way of assessing art.

Of course. I only stated that true objectivity does not exist. I never said that it was practical to consider everything subjective. Personally I just like to think of objectivity as "generally agreed upon subjectivity".
Not that it has any real use though
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Dec 14, 2014 3:18 AM

Apr 2013
yes
there are some really bad anime out there, I'd be surprised to hear that anyone genuinely thinks that they're good.
an egomaniac and a fool

Dec 14, 2014 3:19 AM

Aug 2008
No,you can't. It's impossible to rate an anime objectively.

ZapredonJan 2, 2015 4:37 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.

Jul 2014
mitch3315 said:
Yes, Inferno Cop is objectively the greatest anything ever.

Nov 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
They do get tiresome, but they're also inevitable since that's the main reason this controversy exists.
People think in absolutes because it makes their arguments easier despite them trying to argue against a mindset that thinks in absolutes. So don't bail on me :>

Never thought a post in one of these threads would make be chuckle. Thanks.

I guess I was being a bit overly... closed. There's no need to project one situation into another and assume the worst.
Dec 14, 2014 3:22 AM

Jan 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
No, because "good" and "bad" are subjective. Objectivity is something extremely simple to understand so it baffles me that this is a legitimate question.
Things can be objectively labelled as good or bad based only on subjective agreement of a framework to judge these things. The question isn't the question but the framework.

I think.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

37 by Strayfe »»
29 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

26 by Lizsaki »»
31 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
32 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
39 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.