Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 13, 2014 6:39 AM

Oct 2014
I use illegal means to have a preview or at least an idea of what a show is about whenever I am looking into an anime series.

If the show is good enough after a few episodes or really really has me interested, then I would buy the DVD for it if I could find it. Otherwise, I'll just continue downloading.
Dec 13, 2014 7:02 AM

Mar 2014
I pirate.
I know enough about how CR and the like work that I know it's pretty meaningless to pay to stream anime, actually, it doesn't affect the industry at all, but if people need to pay to make themselves feel better then so be it, I'd prefer if people got off their high horse just because they pay to watch it though.
Dec 13, 2014 7:11 AM

Oct 2014
Paulo27 said:
I'd prefer if people got off their high horse just because they pay to watch it though.

You're right. But I think there are just as many people on their high horse because they DON'T pay to watch anime. Maybe both parties should just let it be.
Dec 13, 2014 7:14 AM

Jul 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
rothrock said:

You should think of the implications of such statements. A rapist could use the same logic to justify that he didn't go to a hooker but instead 'got it for free'. Lots of things are available 'for free' if you 'don't give a fuck'. This is not a very agreeable motto if I may say so

LMAO I didn't even know my comment was so popular and started a argument.

Anyway the example you used is a bad one dude a rapist is taking something by force you can still get sex for free from someone and not rape them people do it all the time.
Dec 13, 2014 7:37 AM

Nov 2013
I'd be broke if I paid for every anime I watched.
Dec 13, 2014 11:17 AM

Sep 2012
There are two reasons that I would pirate something:

A title is not licenced in North America and I still want to see it.

A title is licenced in North America but there are no streaming rights, and I want to check out the first few episodes before I actually choose to buy it.

So there you go. In one case, there's simply no legal way for me to obtain it, and in the other, I plan to go through legal channels eventually anyway.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Dec 13, 2014 11:54 AM

Sep 2013
I pay for CrunchyRoll and I try to buy what I can when I can. I have manga on preorder until at least June I believe and Im looking forward to buying Akame ga Kill! and Chaika the Coffin Princess once Sentai Filmworks starts selling em. But I do download a lot of anime myself because:
JD2411 said:
it's the industry's fault for having shitty distribution

Aaaaannnndddd /thread
Dec 13, 2014 1:15 PM

Jul 2012
Z4k said:
I torrent them because I'm not dumb enough to pay for something I'll probably never watch ever again unless its one of my favorite series.

lol this
I can't see myself rewatching most of the animu I've watched >_> Just too stressful and boring the second time around, unless I love the show or the show was hard to understand the first time.
Dec 13, 2014 2:07 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah, if I had money to buy anime that'd be helpful. Oh, and it'd be good to if you could actually buy anime in Europe.
your waifu is shit
Dec 13, 2014 2:36 PM

Feb 2014
I would only buy anime through a steam-like system with reasonable prices.

Seriously, Imagine having like 700 boxes of anime DVDs lying around
Dec 13, 2014 2:44 PM

Apr 2010
Pirate Bay has finally been taken down. It's only a matter of time before Nippon cracks down on similar anime sites. RIP pirates.
Dec 13, 2014 2:51 PM

Jul 2012
hentai_eucli said:

What is reasonable for you, then?
Dec 13, 2014 3:13 PM

Apr 2014
mayukachan said:
hentai_eucli said:

50 cents for the whole One Piece anime (when finished) Seems reasonable to me :)
Dec 13, 2014 3:27 PM

Apr 2012
mayukachan said:
hentai_eucli said:

If I use my reasonable price standards of gaming to anime it would be 1 hour of entertainment = 1-3€.
So basically one episode for 33c-1€.

That said I would much prefer a streamin subscription and not actually paying for every single episode I watch. Especially considering how much shit anime is out there, I would get grey hair from being so pissed about all the wasted money.
Dec 13, 2014 3:33 PM

Jul 2012
baki502 said:
That said I would much prefer a streamin subscription and not actually paying for every single episode I watch. Especially considering how much shit anime is out there, I would get grey hair from being so pissed about all the wasted money.

Pretty much.
Dec 13, 2014 3:39 PM

Dec 2013
RinArcher said:
>Implying people don't illegally stream stuff here.

Is anyone really going to pretend you don't watch streams here?

no
Dec 13, 2014 4:53 PM

Apr 2014
HazukashiiDesu said:
RinArcher said:

no
Dec 13, 2014 5:22 PM

Dec 2013
AnimeSweden said:
Imagine if there was one site that has EVERYTHING related to anime and manga. Everything would be available in crystal clear 720p quality for download or streaming. People all over the world would be able to access anything related to anime and manga with the click of a button. They could even implement a list system similiar to MAL and a lot of other good stuff. I would gladly pay a yearly/monthly fee for such services. Everything in one place. Make this happen Japan and I'll gladly pay for it.

I'll never buy physical products related to anime or manga though. It has too much of a geek factor here, and I'm honestly not interested in cluttering my room with manga or anime related products.

I'd pay insane amounts for that service.
Feel free to message me to chat.
Dec 13, 2014 6:55 PM

Jan 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
HazukashiiDesu said:

no
Dec 13, 2014 7:46 PM

Jul 2014
Rance-sama said:
Milk_is_Special said:

^+100

if illegally streams doesn't exist= 90% anime fan decrease.
Dec 13, 2014 7:53 PM

Dec 2010
I mainly use Crunchyroll and youtube since they're easily accessible from my phone (which is often the device I use to watch anime with).

Dec 13, 2014 9:37 PM

Dec 2012
Buying and legal streaming are always my first choices if it's licensed. If it's not then i look into the official JP releases to see it they have English subs (usually futile). If those fail then it's other means.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 14, 2014 8:58 AM

Jun 2007
RinArcher said:

I do watch some legal streams, but I don't need to pretend that I don't watch illegal streams, because I actually don't watch illegal streams. Aside from the fact that illegal streaming lets pirates profit from the industry's work, there's simply zero need to watch illegal streams. Since the videos on bootleg streaming sites are bitrate starved re-encodes of downloaded anime, there's quite literally NOTHING that you can see on bootleg streaming sites that you can't see via downloads. And downloads don't give money to shady pirates.

Takiya_Oomine said:
^+100

if illegall streams doesn't exist= 90% anime fan decrease.
Conventions would take a hit, but do you really think the anime industry is going to shed tears if it loses a bunch of freeloaders who would rather give ad revenue to bootleg streaming sites than "clutter" their pristine rooms by buying anything relating to the media they claim to love (or watching on legal streaming sites, because of reasons)?

baki502 said:
Its not 50 games I buy at 3€, its 3 Games I still buy at 50€ at launch the ones that I am really hardcore about and 47 at 3€ ones that just look interesting, mostly indies.
So you admit that the Steam system works because people are willing to pay prices comparable to physical-release prices for high-budget products? Last I checked, Steam doesn't allow people to download as many games as they want for a monthly subscription fee, as some have advocated for anime.

baki502 said:
Also I wouldn't accept a pay per episode model at all. Why? Because unlike games where I can judge from a trailer what my experience is going to be like going by the gameplay, you cannot judge which way a story might go. If you look at my page I drop a significant amount of anime, and honestly if I paid for them or even some I dont drop but I rate under a 7 I would consider it a waste of my money. On top of that I do not rewatch anime. So no I want a monthly/yearly fee kind of thing.

A system like CR is what I want. But more complete. 200 series of which Ive seen over half already and the rest I don't care for is not enough.
So why're you and other "I only watch anime once and delete it" types singing the praises of Steam-style distribution when you (like many others in the fandom) have no desire to collect or permanently own anything for re-watching? It sounds like "CR, but with more titles and better regional support" would be enough. And from CR's licensing list, I count 540 titles between series, movies, and OVAs/ONAs -- over 2.5 times your characterization of the site. Considering that they add another dozen or two shows every season, their library will eventually comprise a significant majority of the shows new enough for the fandom to care about.

Could the selection and accessibility of CR and other legal streaming sites be better? Sure. But the argument made by some in this thread for "I want a Steam-on-steroids site that has ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING accessible everywhere in the universe with permanent DRM-free downloads of the uncensored disc versions in 4K for one low monthly price (not pay-per-episode) before I spend one red cent on anime" is a transparently disingenuous position designed to justify perpetual piracy if the industry fails to meet their obviously impossible demands.

baki502 said:
I also dislike physical media. Just the thought of having about 400 DVD/Blu-Ray - Boxes in my room is horrible.
Which again, can be solved by keeping discs in binders, keeping inserts/booklets in folders, and recycling cases.

As antiquated as some may consider physical media to be, it's a way for companies to maintain a link between costs and revenue. Let's say everything goes to "pay one low fee to download everything" and consumers (including Japanese fans) abandon physical media for it. How can the industry still function at its current level when they still have to pay fixed costs per episode to create the content, but viewers don't have to pay per episode to own it forever? That's why streams are typically lower-quality and from the broadcast version instead of the disc release -- to entice people to buy the disc release, because that's what allows the industry to keep the lights on.
Dec 14, 2014 9:02 AM

Apr 2013
Rezurrekt said:
I mainly use Crunchyroll and youtube since they're easily accessible from my phone (which is often the device I use to watch anime with).
On such a small screen what's the point even?
Dec 14, 2014 9:39 AM

Apr 2012
Zalis said:

baki502 said:
Its not 50 games I buy at 3€, its 3 Games I still buy at 50€ at launch the ones that I am really hardcore about and 47 at 3€ ones that just look interesting, mostly indies.
So you admit that the Steam system works because people are willing to pay prices comparable to physical-release prices for high-budget products? Last I checked, Steam doesn't allow people to download as many games as they want for a monthly subscription fee, as some have advocated for anime.

I actually buy those Games in retail usually. The 50€ ones. Steam works because it makes people buy games which they arent that interested in. Without Steam I would only buy those 3 games I buy in retail. With Steam I buy alot of other games I would have never bought without. Basically Steam creates Demand where there previously wasnt one at all. Sounds like magic but I have bought games withing 2 minutes of even hearing about it simply because it was super cheap, featured in a deal and the gameplay trailer looked interesting. Without the sale I would have 1. never heard of it
2. even if I did, not bought it because of the price.

Also games and anime are not comparable.
Zalis said:

baki502 said:
Also I wouldn't accept a pay per episode model at all. Why? Because unlike games where I can judge from a trailer what my experience is going to be like going by the gameplay, you cannot judge which way a story might go. If you look at my page I drop a significant amount of anime, and honestly if I paid for them or even some I dont drop but I rate under a 7 I would consider it a waste of my money. On top of that I do not rewatch anime. So no I want a monthly/yearly fee kind of thing.

A system like CR is what I want. But more complete. 200 series of which Ive seen over half already and the rest I don't care for is not enough.
So why're you and other "I only watch anime once and delete it" types singing the praises of Steam-style distribution when you (like many others in the fandom) have no desire to collect or permanently own anything for re-watching? It sounds like "CR, but with more titles and better regional support" would be enough. And from CR's licensing list, I count 540 titles between series, movies, and OVAs/ONAs -- over 2.5 times your characterization of the site. Considering that they add another dozen or two shows every season, their library will eventually comprise a significant majority of the shows new enough for the fandom to care about.

Could the selection and accessibility of CR and other legal streaming sites be better? Sure. But the argument made by some in this thread for "I want a Steam-on-steroids site that has ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING accessible everywhere in the universe with permanent DRM-free downloads of the uncensored disc versions in 4K for one low monthly price (not pay-per-episode) before I spend one red cent on anime" is a transparently disingenuous position designed to justify perpetual piracy if the industry fails to meet their obviously impossible demands.

When we sing praises to a Steam like distribution model we think of the core idea. Which is selling games cheap at a massmarket instead of squeezing huge amount of money out of a small number of people. Apply the thought to anime and you can either sell the anime per episode at cheap prices or have a subscription model. I and many others have spoken out in favor of a subscription Model for above mentioned reasons.

Yes we want CR with many more anime. Also you seemed to have missed the fact that I do not live in the US. In the german market CR is basically worthless. It might get better but for now its just not worth it.

Steam doesnt have all games either. But for me to buy into CR they have to be able to atleast 80-90% of every airing show for the seasons and every bigger movie. I am not expecting shorts or OVAS. They are simply not providing that, atleast not in the german market.

My demand isnt impossible to meet. I want it to be what Netflix is in America. I dont know since I dont use Netflix but from what I hear Netflix has almost every series and movie except for more niche ones. I want that for anime.

Zalis said:

baki502 said:
I also dislike physical media. Just the thought of having about 400 DVD/Blu-Ray - Boxes in my room is horrible.

Which again, can be solved by keeping discs in binders, keeping inserts/booklets in folders, and recycling cases.

As antiquated as some may consider physical media to be, it's a way for companies to maintain a link between costs and revenue. Let's say everything goes to "pay one low fee to download everything" and consumers (including Japanese fans) abandon physical media for it. How can the industry still function at its current level when they still have to pay fixed costs per episode to create the content, but viewers don't have to pay per episode to own it forever? That's why streams are typically lower-quality and from the broadcast version instead of the disc release -- to entice people to buy the disc release, because that's what allows the industry to keep the lights on.

I dislike the very idea of having to use discs. I dont even have a DVD or Blu Ray player. I guess I could use my DVD-Driver in my PC but I dont want to watch lq DVD releases. I also dont want to look for a Disk and have to insert it and change it every time I want to watch something. Some people love physical media. I love having everything in digital from, except for a few of my most favourite games which I like to own in physical form. But the thing with those is that you dont need the CD anyway. I just own them for the case. I bought a Wii U recently where you stilll use the CD to play, and god is it annoying having to switch CDs every time I want to play something else.

As for the industry, there will always be people who love physical forms of the media. Make them desirable, make the boxes something worth collecting and there will be enough to want to buy them. They can also sell digital copies, where you buy them each on their own. I am not saying to abolish every other form of distribution and only have a subscription model, what I am saying is to have a subscription model for the kind of consumers like me, who consume everything only once and alot of crap.

You cant convince me to buy Disks. Wont happen. And I am not the only one. People have different preferences. And if such a subscription model doesnt exist and pirating would suddenly be impossible Id just stop watching anime.

I just checked german CR, I was wrong with the 200 shows, I counted them manually, its actually 75. 75 fkin shows. 23 of which Ive seen already, and most of the others I have no interest in
baki502Dec 14, 2014 9:46 AM
Dec 14, 2014 9:42 AM

May 2014
FirstApostle said:
I feel like i may have created something i can't control..

Indeed you have :3 enjoy this maelstrom of controversial dispute XD

*goes to make popcorn*
Dec 14, 2014 9:50 AM

Dec 2013
Takiya_Oomine said:
Rance-sama said:

^+100

What the heck is this "stream" you speak of?
DL Massah race
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Dec 14, 2014 9:56 AM

Apr 2014
Cakedog said:
Takiya_Oomine said:

^+100

What the heck is this "stream" you speak of?
DL Massah race
s small river in the mountains.
Dec 14, 2014 10:48 AM

Aug 2014
Fuck the system, torrent for life. But if you're one of those whinny bitches who can't enjoy something unless they pay for it, well have fun spending 300 bucks on a copy of fate/zero
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 minutes ago

2 by Rhaelynne »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

70 by omorashi »»
14 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

210 by perseii »»
19 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

34 by joseifan »»
20 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

125 by logopolis »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.