Forum Settings
Forums

Do you believe anime villains should have a sympathetic background?

New
Dec 11, 2014 10:11 PM

Jan 2013
Or do you think anime villains should be evil for the sake of being evil?

And for those who say, "depends on the anime", what are some good contrasting examples of good villains with a sympathetic background and those who are just "plain evil"?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 11, 2014 10:13 PM

Jan 2013
I don't like villains which are 'evil for being evil's sake for the most part.
Is the Joker a sympathetic one though? I'm sorry but my knowledge about the Batman universe apart from the Nolan movies is next to nothing.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Dec 11, 2014 10:15 PM

Feb 2010
As in most A or B threads I'll pick both. Nothing beats variety.
I really have no specific preference.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 11, 2014 10:16 PM

Jan 2010
I've seen both done really well and both done horribly. Whatever the case, the villains I tend to enjoy the most are the ones that aren't necessarily evil, but they do what they do because they have an end goal that happened to go against the protagonist.

For examples, I liked Raoh, with his reasons for his evils being deeply rooted in his backstory. On the flip side, Ladd Russo was a nut and was great for how much he enjoyed his "job."
ShockedDec 11, 2014 10:38 PM
Dec 11, 2014 10:17 PM

Dec 2013
I think it's nice for them to have one, evil just for the hell of it isn't cool. Depends on the anime though, no Obitos please, that was a disaster.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Dec 11, 2014 10:20 PM

Jul 2012
VitaminCaim said:
what are some good contrasting examples of good villains with a sympathetic background and those who are just "plain evil"?

1. Midosuji (Yowamushi Pedal)

as for the second option

2. Hisoka (HxH)
Dec 11, 2014 10:21 PM

Jun 2014
Zophrosyne said:
Is the Joker a sympathetic one though? I'm sorry but my knowledge about the Batman universe apart from the Nolan movies is next to nothing.
He could be seen as sympathetic to some degree . It's hard to feel bad for him really though, because in the Batman Universe, his past is kept a secret.

music is life...
Dec 11, 2014 10:24 PM

Jan 2014
I live the villains to have some kind of background. It doesnt have to be a horrid one to explain his actions but then I prefer all my characters with at least some interesting background story. I think it goves more depth to them.
I'm not rude... I just wasn't taught to politely pretend to be nice to people I can't stand.
Dec 11, 2014 10:24 PM

Feb 2013
I do'nt mind.....as long as they do'nt keep whining over and over about it (Fuckin' Obito!!!)
Dec 11, 2014 10:26 PM
Nov 2013
I believe some men just want to watch the world burn.
Dec 11, 2014 10:26 PM

Dec 2013
Well, not really because you don't need to have a sad background to become evil. Esdeath,
A good example is Light Yagami. Ever since he found that Deathbook, he took advantage of if and was mad with power and became evil.

Zophrosyne said:

I literally just copied and paste this
"You can reference many Comics. One of the most widely accepted is "The Killing Joke" which depicts The Joker before he is The Joker as a normal Joe. He needs money. I believe he quit his first job. He became a comedian and failed at it, hence The Killing Joke. He goes with the mob. Tries to get money, disguises himself as The Red Hood. Falls into a chemical vat that alters his face, both its colour (hence its pasty white) stretching his mouth like a grotesque smile and changing his lips fed. The traumatic experience makes him go insane."
Dec 11, 2014 10:27 PM

Jul 2014
I prefer villains who do it for the lulz. Like Kumagawa.
Dec 11, 2014 10:36 PM

Oct 2012
mayukachan said:
VitaminCaim said:
what are some good contrasting examples of good villains with a sympathetic background and those who are just "plain evil"?

1. Midosuji (Yowamushi Pedal)

as for the second option

2. Hisoka (HxH)

Is Hisoka plain evil? I think Togashi plays with this a lot, sure he kills people for fun, but he helps the protagonists out on several occasions.
Dec 11, 2014 10:37 PM

Jul 2012
He helps the protagonists because he's horny to fight them when they're more matured and have more shounen battling experience. But for me, he does fit under the "I don't need any sad reason or backstory to be evil because I just like what I do and I accept it"
Dec 11, 2014 10:39 PM

Mar 2012
Johan > Your favorite Villains
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 11, 2014 10:39 PM

Feb 2010
mayukachan said:
He helps the protagonists because he's horny to fight them when they're more matured and have more shounen battling experience. But for me, he does fit under the "I don't need any sad reason or backstory to be evil because I just like what I do and I accept it"

But he's not really evil, he just does what he wants, sometimes that's helpful, sometimes that's evil.
I think Killuas brother is more pure evil in terms of HxH antagonists.
Dec 11, 2014 10:40 PM

Sep 2012
I like villains who are justified in their own mind.

A villain without motivation is stupid.
Dec 11, 2014 10:41 PM

Jul 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
mayukachan said:

But he's not really evil, he just does what he wants, sometimes that's helpful, sometimes that's evil.

What is "evil" then? He kills people and doesn't give a shit for it. Does that count as being evil? Idk

Oh yes, Killua's brother is more evil.
Dec 11, 2014 10:41 PM

Aug 2013
Obligatory it depends on the anime.

Pure evil -Frieza

Sympathetic background - Pain, Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 11, 2014 10:46 PM

Sep 2013
I can only say that I need to see some reason for their evil-doings i.e. Kishin Asura (Soul Eater) merely wanted to live in a world where Fear didnt exist, Knives (Trigun) only wanted to eradicate the humans that he saw as mere parasitic lifeforms; that kinda stuff. But then you have shitty villains like Aizen (Bleach) who had no goddamn motive but at the same time, didnt do it for shits and giggles.
Dec 11, 2014 10:46 PM

Jan 2013
Shinsekai yori

Dec 11, 2014 10:47 PM

Oct 2014
Neither are necessary to make a "good villain".

A "good villain" to me is someone who's reasons are logical enough to understand why they are doing what they are doing and why they are taking such a stance. Often times a good "villain" is just someone with a view that clashes with the main protagonist and isn't strictly "wrong".

Off the top of my head I can think of 2. One is Ozymandias from watchmen. The other is Squealer from Shinsekai Yori.
Dec 11, 2014 10:47 PM

Sep 2012
RaiiShu said:
Shinsekai yori

Oh god the weeb
Dec 11, 2014 10:49 PM

Jun 2014
I feel villians should be fleshed out or interesting, background story or not.
Dec 11, 2014 10:52 PM

Jul 2013
There should be a plausible reason of why someone is evil.
Dec 11, 2014 10:58 PM

Feb 2010
mayukachan said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

What is "evil" then? He kills people and doesn't give a shit for it. Does that count as being evil? Idk

Oh yes, Killua's brother is more evil.

Being evil for the sake of evil is a different thing than not giving a fuck about morality to achieve your goals though. Being evil is just a side effect but not the goal. The most popular kind of pure evil villains would be villains who basically want to destroy/conquer/enslave everything for the sake of it or some reason that amounts to the same (think comic book villains or maybe the antagonists from Kill la Kill). Hisoka is just a sociopath, but his nature isn't evil, it's just to seek pleasure for any cost and also happens to be a sadist so the result isn't pretty.
Dec 11, 2014 10:58 PM

Jul 2007
I don't need to sympathize, I just need to see their reasoning.
Dec 11, 2014 11:08 PM
Dec 2014
There aren't such things as pure evil or pure good. It's always a mixture between the two of them. What matters is what part is stronger.
Characters like Frieza who are pure evil, without any reason behind their behaviour are usually cheap and boring

The best villains are the anti-heroes. They aren't evil nor good either.
- Hei (Darker than Black)

- Hyoubu Kyousuke (Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke)

- Koinzell (Ubel Blatt)

- Itachi, Madara, Obito (Naruto)
- Zeref (Fairy Tail)

koinzell_Dec 11, 2014 11:18 PM
Dec 11, 2014 11:09 PM

Aug 2013
I think it definitely needs to be done well to be good.
But a poorly designed sympathetic villain is nowhere near as bad as the "Psycho kill everything because I love the taste of blood" shit that I've seen so many times. I just can't take that shit seriously, its plain out comical.

One of my favorite villains of all time would be Fuhrer Bradley from FMAB. The badassery he achieved as both a "good guy" and a villain is insane. Not to mention his last words which brought out some feels for him.
Dec 11, 2014 11:14 PM

Aug 2013
koinzell-ub said:

Characters like Frieza who are pure evil, without any reason behind their behaviour are usually cheap and boring
Wrong opinion you've got there.
Dec 11, 2014 11:20 PM
Dec 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
koinzell-ub said:

Well...if you enjoy watching characters that are evil just because...what can I say? It's your taste.
Even so, you should grow up a little
Dec 11, 2014 11:22 PM

Aug 2013
Not all the time. It usually just makes it harder to not like them, which is the point pretty much.
Dec 11, 2014 11:24 PM

Aug 2013
koinzell-ub said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Well...if you enjoy watching characters that are evil just because...what can I say? It's your taste.
Frieza isn't just evil just because. He is evil because he wants to attain power and he seems others as inferior to himself. Maybe you should grow up. Not every villain needs to have a backstory especially a sympathetic backstory to be interesting. Villains who are not really evil , have sad backstories are usually not real villains but anti villains or sometimes anti heroes. Itachi (my favorite Naruto character) for instance is not a villain.
DrGeroCreationDec 11, 2014 11:29 PM
Dec 11, 2014 11:28 PM
Aug 2013
The ones with background since its adds to the character development when the show progresses?
Dec 11, 2014 11:34 PM
Dec 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
koinzell-ub said:
Frieza isn't just evil just because. He is evil because he wants to attain power and he seems others as inferior to himself. Maybe you should grow up.

Meh of course there has to be a reason for his action.
But he hasn't any reason to be evil. He could gain power without being evil.
What I'm saying is that he was evil from the begining. He didn't go through something that changed him and in the end he didn't suffer any character development.

This kind of characters are like those from folk tales that each contry has -> The hero slays the demon. Blah blah blah boring.
Usually kids like to hear this kind of stories when they go to bed in the evening. That's why I told you to grow up a little (with no malice)
Dec 11, 2014 11:36 PM

Jul 2013
inserting a irrelevant to current events sob story is generally lazy and bad writing
Dec 11, 2014 11:40 PM

Aug 2013
koinzell-ub said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Frieza isn't just evil just because. He is evil because he wants to attain power and he seems others as inferior to himself. Maybe you should grow up.

Meh of course there has to be a reason for his action.
But he hasn't any reason to be evil. He could gain power without being evil.
What I'm saying is that he was evil from the begining. He didn't go through something that changed him and in the end he didn't suffer any character development.

This kind of characters are like those from folk tales that each contry has -> The hero slays the demon. Blah blah blah boring.
Usually kids like to hear this kind of stories when they go to bed in the evening. That's why I told you to grow up a little (with no malice)
Character development is not necessary for a villain like him.If he had changed from being evil to good that would have ruined his character. Villains with sympathetic back stories that usually change sides at the drop of a hat like Obito can be boring, annoying, cringe worthy and cause the conclusion of the conflict to be anti climatic.
Dec 11, 2014 11:44 PM
Dec 2014
It's no use arguing on this. After all what we're doing now it's similar to arguing about "who're sexier, blondes or brunettes?" haha. Some might think blondes, other might think brunettes.

The same it is with this topic: it all depends on our personal tastes and views.
Dec 11, 2014 11:52 PM

Aug 2013
koinzell-ub said:
It's no use arguing on this. After all what we're doing now it's similar to arguing about "who're sexier, blondes or brunettes?" haha. Some might think blondes, other might think brunettes.

The same it is with this topic: it all depends on our personal tastes and views.
You are right it is subjective although that doesn't render discussion void.
Dec 11, 2014 11:55 PM

Apr 2013
They need to have a target which motivates them which actually makes sense. So no "I want to destroy everything because I am evil", that's boring and dumb. A sympathetic background is fine by me if it shows how the character developed from a normal guy/girl into what he/she is today.
Dec 11, 2014 11:56 PM
Dec 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
koinzell-ub said:

You are right it is subjective although that doesn't render discussion void.
yep, it's fine to discuss opinions.
Dec 12, 2014 12:12 AM

Apr 2014
Doesn't really matter to me.
Dec 12, 2014 12:44 AM

Jul 2014
Okashi_sama said:

Yeah, probably the safest kind of villains. The other two kinds of villains are usually lame.
Though I don't like Kumagawa very much. I was thinking about Trollzaya, which is slightly better imo.
Dec 12, 2014 3:22 AM

Feb 2014
Depends on the show.
Dec 12, 2014 3:27 AM

Nov 2014
I like both :). Tend to prefer the villains with a good background, doing something because they have to do it without being necessarily evil. Both can be done really well, anyway.
Dec 12, 2014 3:31 AM

Mar 2012
I don't like villains who have a sob backstory just for a sake of a sob backstor i.e in Naruto.

Villains can be whatever the hell they want, and have their own convictions/justifications, whether it's power or justice it's the same as long as it's good.

Being evil for the sake of evil though, is purely retarded.
End Zionazism
Dec 12, 2014 3:39 AM

Jul 2014
I like the anti-hero type but the ones with the sympathetic background get annoying cause they always want some one to feel sorry for them. The crazy hot head ones are the most entertaining for me.
Dec 12, 2014 3:47 AM

Jul 2014
Aria-da-Capo said:
Okashi_sama said:

Yeah, probably the safest kind of villains. The other two kinds of villains are usually lame.
Though I don't like Kumagawa very much. I was thinking about Trollzaya, which is slightly better imo.

I found Kumagawa to be a lot better then Izaya, the stuff he does later on in the manga is pure gold. too bad the anime didn't cover his arc, which is the best one.
Dec 12, 2014 3:55 AM

Jul 2014
I find anti-heroes much more interesting that villains. Or antagonists. Never actually seen a good anime ''villain''
"Hi!"
Dec 12, 2014 4:11 AM
Apr 2014
At the end of the day, it doesn`t matter how the villains are portrayed as long as they are good.

You could have a sympathetic background for the villain and it can be done good or bad.
You could have no sympathetic background for the villain and it can be done good or bad.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 6 hours ago

32 by Ochimusha »»
4 seconds ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

31 by perseii »»
59 seconds ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

33 by BlueBullet178 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

8 by BlueBullet178 »»
5 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

92 by Ochimusha »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.