Forum Settings
Forums
Dec 13, 2014 5:34 PM

VitaminCaim said:
Not double standards. I genuinely believe that it's OK to pirate if the service provided is shit. The service with owning anime is shit while the service for owning games isn't as bad.

I know what you believe in and it is not a case where I want to contest whether it is right or wrong. I am, however, pointing out that this degree of what's acceptable and what's not is drawn by you.

Dec 13, 2014 5:41 PM

live2win said:
Live free.

Pirate if you want, support if you wish. Don't be bounded by the trivial moral standards or man-made laws in this society.

+1

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…"

Dec 13, 2014 5:45 PM

live2win said:
VitaminCaim said:
Not double standards. I genuinely believe that it's OK to pirate if the service provided is shit. The service with owning anime is shit while the service for owning games isn't as bad.

I know what you believe in and it is not a case where I want to contest whether it is right or wrong. I am, however, pointing out that this degree of what's acceptable and what's not is drawn by you.
Well no shit, I'm talking about the morality of piracy so I'm going to express my morals.

Dec 13, 2014 6:04 PM
VitaminCaim said:
live2win said:
Live free.

Pirate if you want, support if you wish. Don't be bounded by the trivial moral standards or man-made laws in this society.

For all the condemnation you have with pirates, you're just having double standards regarding (western) games and anime. The grey area where you decide it is acceptable to engage in piracy is entirely decided by yourself.

Steam, Origin, Uplay are pretty junk. Does that make it right to pirate?

Dec 13, 2014 9:58 PM

Rokumi said:

I disagree about Steam. Seriously, fuck Origin and Uplay for being gigantic pains but Steam while not exactly a 100% perfect, is actually alright.

Besides, why should anyone not have a Steam account? Lord Gaben is a kind man. You just need to wait a little and pretty soon, whatever AAA game you think of buying would be 75% off or something.

I used to pirate all my games but ever since I was able to pay for the games I like, I buy them instead. Except shitty games like CoD. Pirate that shit all you want.

Dec 13, 2014 11:36 PM

Rokumi said:
VitaminCaim said:

Origin and Uplay are stained shitfests. I don't understand how you have a problem with Steam unless you're playing games with really bad DRM... Or those shitty games that force you to open Uplay from Steam.

Dec 13, 2014 11:50 PM

VitaminCaim said:
Origin and Uplay are stained shitfests. I don't understand how you have a problem with Steam unless you're playing games with really bad DRM... Or those shitty games that force you to open Uplay from Steam.

Steam has just as shitty customer service as anyone else. It's also perfectly legitimate STILL for Steam to permanently ban you and remove your entire games library for absolutely no reason at any time.

Dec 14, 2014 12:50 AM

VitaminCaim said:
Lipi said:

There are ways to justify piracy along moral lines. Piracy is not "copyright infringement" in the same way that taking someone's product and then trying to sell it yourself, or stealing a drawing and saying you drew it, or using someone else's logo, is.
Elaborate.

For "moral" reasons, I like to buy games, mostly because I want to support the people making them and because I know how much work goes into your average game - even the smallest things can take dozens of hours, for instance, and even a decent game is usually the result of huge amounts of talent and passion that I feel is worth rewarding. I have no problem paying money for entertainment, because it's a service provided me and that's how our economy works.

But, that said, I also have no problem pirating games. I usually justify it in one of these ways:

1) It's an older game and the company/people who made it won't be receiving any money from me if I buy it anymore, and their sales figures also no longer matter, so it doesn't matter
2) I already own the game somewhere else
3) There's no good way to demo the game, so I need to pirate it to have an idea of how it plays before I make my decision
4) The game has a ridiculous DRM scheme that I am not going to support through a purchase

Sometimes, I do buy games that I have pirated because it turns out I do like the game and want to support the developers. Dishonored was one such game like that; I bought it at full price about a week after pirating it. I rarely, if ever, pirate a brand-new game and then complete it end-to-end or put significant hours into it without buying it at some point.

Piracy isn't really a "moral" problem though, it's a service problem as many have identified - whether that's a poor quality game, restrictive terms of use/DRM, lack of convenience in being able to purchase it, the game leaks early and people want to try it out, etc. The people who are pirating most games likely would not buy it otherwise, because the people who are buying your game want to buy your game, and those who do resort to piracy are usually either not potential customers, or they're people who have resorted to piracy for what they see as deficiencies in the publisher service.

There are also plenty of logical arguments for why the current copyright model doesn't work for games:

1) Piracy has a positive benefit on expanding the audience of a product and can lead to good publicity and more sales
2) Giving eternal monopoly to a corporation that owns a game is not beneficial for society (on a cultural level) and for consumers (on an individual level)
3) Online game piracy is not something that can be directly compared to other forms of copyright infringement (i.e. it's not the same as copying that floppy)
4) It infringes on fair use and other laws of the land (i.e. can't share a game purchased digitally with friends, don't actually own the product you paid for which is illegal in some countries)
5) The laws were created for a completely different time period, cultural situation and market; they do not reflect current realities of our society

Dec 14, 2014 7:06 PM
otaking
Khaosman said:
Rokumi said:

I disagree about Steam. Seriously, fuck Origin and Uplay for being gigantic pains but Steam while not exactly a 100% perfect, is actually alright.

Besides, why should anyone not have a Steam account? Lord Gaben is a kind man. You just need to wait a little and pretty soon, whatever AAA game you think of buying would be 75% off or something.

I used to pirate all my games but ever since I was able to pay for the games I like, I buy them instead. Except shitty games like CoD. Pirate that shit all you want.

the Lack of Japanese games on steam somthing laot of western peopel di not know is that fact that the Japanese indie scese is of ok size but they do nt have money ot trasate there games so there banned of genreal steam

how many here have played any Modern PC SHUMP legally and there good but Steam refuses ot host them
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Dec 14, 2014 7:30 PM
Kickass torrents for the win.
I downloaded 5 new games and cracked them yesterday.

Dec 14, 2014 7:42 PM
LucasRTS said:
Kickass torrents for the win.
I downloaded 5 new games and cracked them yesterday.

Yarr! We have a pirate amidst us! Throw him overboard!

Pages (2) « 1 [2]