Forum Settings
Forums
Dec 8, 2014 8:20 AM
Suikoden II Coming to PS3, PS Vita in N. America (JRPG fans rejoice!!!)

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1320149

I read this thread and noticed some people being happy that game is coming to PS3 and PS Vita, and I couldn't help but wonder: What is there to be so happy and excited about, when games like Suikoden are always available to pirate for years now?

I mean, yeah, it's pirating, but are you trying to tell me, that there some people who, even if they are really interested in particular game(s), but can't get it other than to pirate it, will rather wait for who knows how many years until it's legally available, if that day ever comes that is?

Wow.

First two Suikoden games are really easy to emulate with ePSXe emulator which also can improve theirs graphics, and I believe everyone who post here have at least decent PC for that...

So it's really weird to me; I mean, I myself am buying games when they are available because I want to support developers, but if they aren't, it seems stupid to me not to get them from the Internet.

Seriously, why should people rejoice for anything that is already there?

Dec 8, 2014 8:37 AM

PC? Meh, it's easier to just get a CFW PSP, an Ouya or a decent android phone.

Dec 8, 2014 12:12 PM

Hoppy said:
PC? Meh, it's easier to just get a CFW PSP, an Ouya or a decent android phone.
no point buying another doodad when you can already do it on your PC for free though.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

Dec 8, 2014 12:23 PM

Well there's really no point in buying it now unless you want to get the "feeling" of owning a product. I usually hate pirating games but Suikoden I and II are so old that a bunch of purchases aren't going to help the real developers that much unless the purchases are ASTRONIMCALLY high but I don't think Suikoden is popular enough to make that possible. In the end you would only be helping Sony, not the devs, in this situation. I could go on and on about pirating but this is my thought.

Dec 8, 2014 12:42 PM

If it was a physical re-release, I would be rejoicing, but it's not.

Dec 8, 2014 1:00 PM

I pirate everything and I buy copies of it if I really enjoy the product. The only VN I legally bought is Umineko 1-4 and never even played the paid version. Only games I can think of which I bought are indy games like Binding of Isaac/Rebirth. Cave Story, Shovel knight, and I bought one year of photoshop and pirated them afterwards. Pirating is just the way to go in my opinion, and if you want to support the developers, you just pay for it as well. Either way though pirating is sort of supporting them since it gets the game out there more and more heard since their is chances they will tell their friends about the product.

Dec 8, 2014 1:42 PM

Rivayne said:
I pirate everything and I buy copies of it if I really enjoy the product. The only VN I legally bought is Umineko 1-4 and never even played the paid version. Only games I can think of which I bought are indy games like Binding of Isaac/Rebirth. Cave Story, Shovel knight, and I bought one year of photoshop and pirated them afterwards. Pirating is just the way to go in my opinion, and if you want to support the developers, you just pay for it as well. Either way though pirating is sort of supporting them since it gets the game out there more and more heard since their is chances they will tell their friends about the product.
Yes but will YOU tell your friends about it if it's good? In the end, pirating still harms the devs more than purchasing it

Dec 8, 2014 1:53 PM

VitaminCaim said:
Rivayne said:
Yes but will YOU tell your friends about it if it's good? In the end, pirating still harms the devs more than purchasing it
Yes if I actually think the product is good I'll tell my friends about it, hell pretty sure many people hate me on this site since I used to always talk about Umineko 24/7 I've gotten numerous friends to play games that I recommend, although I rarely recommend games as I'm hard to impress. and not always but for the most part yes, either way though bad publicity is good publicity.

Dec 8, 2014 5:37 PM
VitaminCaim said:
Rivayne said:

How is pirating harming the devs? It's not like the pirate is stealing sales from the game. They wouldn't have bought the game either way.

Dec 8, 2014 5:40 PM

Rokumi said:
VitaminCaim said:

How is pirating harming the devs? It's not like the pirate is stealing sales from the game. They wouldn't have bought the game either way. Pirating helps the devs more than anything, with word of mouth.
I was pointing the obvious.

Purchasing a game > Pirating a game.

I can't really explain any further why buying a game is better than pirating it because I think you can get the picture.

Dec 8, 2014 5:44 PM

Psajdako-chan said:
but are you trying to tell me, that there some people who, even if they are really interested in particular game(s), but can't get it other than to pirate it, will rather wait for who knows how many years until it's legally available, if that day ever comes that is?

Yes. That's precisely what I do.
And those people are rejoicing to finally be able to play the game.

Others might've wanted to play the game specifically on PS3/Vita, or maybe people are just happy to finally be able to support the developers.

Dec 8, 2014 5:50 PM
VitaminCaim said:
Rokumi said:

How is pirating harming the devs? It's not like the pirate is stealing sales from the game. They wouldn't have bought the game either way. Pirating helps the devs more than anything, with word of mouth.

I can't really explain any further why buying a game is better than pirating it because I think you can get the picture.

Someone who's not a potential customer for the game, "Purchasing a game" would not happen.

Dec 8, 2014 5:56 PM

Rokumi said:
VitaminCaim said:

Someone who's not a potential customer for the game, "Purchasing a game" would not happen.

Dec 8, 2014 9:25 PM
if dey be kewl, i'll buy 'em. emulating just doesn't feel the same.

Dec 8, 2014 9:40 PM

Psajdako-chan said:
Suikoden II Coming to PS3, PS Vita in N. America (JRPG fans rejoice!!!)

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1320149

I read this thread and noticed some people being happy that game is coming to PS3 and PS Vita, and I couldn't help but wonder: What is there to be so happy and excited about, when games like Suikoden are always available to pirate for years now?

I mean, yeah, it's pirating, but are you trying to tell me, that there some people who, even if they are really interested in particular game(s), but can't get it other than to pirate it, will rather wait for who knows how many years until it's legally available, if that day ever comes that is?

Wow.

First two Suikoden games are really easy to emulate with ePSXe emulator which also can improve theirs graphics, and I believe everyone who post here have at least decent PC for that...

So it's really weird to me; I mean, I myself am buying games when they are available because I want to support developers, but if they aren't, it seems stupid to me not to get them from the Internet.

Seriously, why should people rejoice for anything that is already there?

Not everyone pirates.

Dec 9, 2014 1:32 AM
dity said:
if dey be kewl, i'll buy 'em. emulating just doesn't feel the same.
Recently I finished first MediEvil game for PS on ePSXe emulator together with PS3 wireless controller, and now MediEvil 2.

Emulator can easily upscale graphics, run game at 60fps (maybe even faster, but my TV only has 60Hz), and of course, it supports vibration for controller.

I made a small comparison between original and upscaled resolution:

The only thing that I do, but most people don't is that I quickly take in-game screenshot (for instance that small original picture from MediEvil 2) with another emulator that can take screenshots in native resolution, and than calculate with IrfanView upscaled resolution with correct aspect ratio.

But that only lasts few minutes before starting the game for the first time.

Dec 9, 2014 3:42 AM
Why are people looking forward to it?
Maybe it has new additions. Improved graphics?
Maybe improved gameplay?
Or maybe it has new quests, items, armour weapons.

Its like Persona 4 golden. They re released it, but people could download the PS2 version, though you would miss out on the extra character and story.

If you like the game when you first played it. You are more willing to pay for a game that you enjoyed. to play it again.

However if you didn't then you would pirate it, or if you could not afford it.

Plus PS1 games on PC feel retarded. I'd rather play JRPG's on my Vita. Actually feels more fun then on a big screen.

Dec 9, 2014 4:09 AM
shintai88 said:
Plus PS1 games on PC feel retarded. I'd rather play JRPG's on my Vita. Actually feels more fun then on a big screen.
Speak for yourself...

Emulator + big screen + controller with vibration + bed = same as with original console but with better graphics.
Or in other words, PS console itself held back true potential of its games due to hardwer.

As for playing on PSP small screen, I don't know, I have PSP myself and I played few PS games on it, and to me, screen is just that - too small.
But well, some could disagree...
I don't know about Vita though.

Now that I think about it, I would like it if there was a decent PSP emulator as well, simply because small screen is annoying.

Dec 9, 2014 4:56 AM

Came to see pirates justifying their actions. Was not disappointed.

It's an eternal debate that will never end as long as the internet exists and people don't want to pay for things that are freely available. Sad but true. As for myself I don't even have time to play the few games I still buy let alone bother pirating stuff. By the time I even get around to it chances are the games have gone on sale that I'll just spend a couple bucks and buy it :P

Dec 9, 2014 5:25 AM
Why would anyone justify themselves about it?

We are talking about games 10 - 15, or even more years old; only someone nuts would rather choose not to pirate it even if it isn't available.

And even if it is, who is there to stop you from pirating it anyway?
People on forum?

You yourself, I doubt you buyed all the DVD and Blu-rays for anime that you saw.

Internet itself is one big pirating...

Dec 9, 2014 5:25 AM
Psajdako-chan said:
shintai88 said:
Speak for yourself...

Emulator + big screen + controller with vibration + bed = same as with original console but with better graphics.
Or in other words, PS console itself held back true potential of its games due to hardwer.

As for playing on PSP small screen, I don't know, I have PSP myself and I played few PS games on it, and to me, screen is just that - too small.
But well, some could disagree...
I don't know about Vita though.

Now that I think about it, I would like it if there was a decent PSP emulator as well, simply because small screen is annoying.

Will be giving the emulator a try this weekend. Since I've not played Suikoden at all. So will have to see if I agree with you in regards to that. No controller for PC means will need to use Keyboard map settings. Only emulator experience was for the Sega Megadrive emulations and a few Nintendo gameboy ones.

PSvita is fine. The screen is larger then PSP. I found it perfect for Persona 4 Golden. The Sleep mode, means you can take breaks whenever you wanted. Battery life on sleep mode lasted 2 weeks while I was away. If you get the new Vita, you won't have the OED Screen, or what ever its called, which supposedly has a sharper picture, but less battery life then the new one with the standard LED screen.

PSP was fine. Might see if I can find a emulator for that. But I agree PSP not that fun, due to the screen size and the reflective screen.

Dec 9, 2014 5:28 AM
I don't know, I remember playing with keyboard and it horrible, I could hardly control the character...

But then again, I'm used to playing with controller...

Dec 9, 2014 6:29 AM
Psajdako-chan said:
I don't know, I remember playing with keyboard and it horrible, I could hardly control the character...

But then again, I'm used to playing with controller...

It can be, your hands and fingers become uncomfortable after awhile.

Dec 9, 2014 8:16 AM

How I see Pirating and Legally Buying

Pirating:
*Either too broke to buy, or too lazy

Legally
*Actually feel like supporting the developers
*Can get updates without waiting for torrent links to be updated
*Have the F*cking cash for it
EDIT:
Oh also, you dont have to risk getting a nasty virus when you legally purchase the product

Dec 9, 2014 8:41 AM

zygisrko said:

Oh also, you dont have to risk getting a nasty virus when you legally purchase the product

People still get viruses?

Dec 9, 2014 8:48 AM

Kuremisago said:

People still get viruses?

If people are dumb enough to torrent from an un-trusted uploader or not look in the comments.
And sometimes they crypt the RATS and Keyloggers so not many people know that they do have one.

Dec 9, 2014 9:02 AM
I used to pirate a lot until I got a job. I started studying again so I can only buy a game during steam sales now. I picked up Saints Row IV in the last steam sale. Pirating is good for getting a demo of games. Nothing is worse than dropping £40 on a game and then thinking it's whack.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'

Dec 9, 2014 9:04 AM

Don't get me wrong, pirating is fine, but if you're pirating an indie game then that's just shameless

Dec 9, 2014 10:42 AM
It's okay to pirate if it's anything pre PS3 / X360 / Wii era, or for PSP.

Dec 9, 2014 12:06 PM
Chu2Byo

Rivayne said:
I pirate everything and I buy copies of it if I really enjoy the product.
+1. I pirated Clannad VN for example a few years back. Coming out on steam and did the 60 $ donation on Kickstarter to get the game on disc, I wouldnt have if I hadn't got it a few years back considering how much it would cost to import a un translated version from somwhere... To be fair as well I use to pirate game on PC to see whether my PC can run them or not due to steams limited Demos on many games in the past...

Dec 9, 2014 12:35 PM

Unfortunately these two games are not something that are well aged. They're simply better when pirated and played on an emulator.

Dec 9, 2014 1:48 PM

VitaminCaim said:
Rokumi said:

Actually I know many people who aren't willing to pay 60 dollars for an AAA game without knowing it's worth the price, so they pirate it and if they love it, they end up buying it. Overall pirates help out games whether you like it or not.

Dec 9, 2014 5:26 PM

Rivayne said:
VitaminCaim said:
Actually I know many people who aren't willing to pay 60 dollars for an AAA game without knowing it's worth the price, so they pirate it and if they love it, they end up buying it. Overall pirates help out games whether you like it or not.
Or you know, you could just watch a youtube video of it.

I know many people with common sense

Dec 9, 2014 5:49 PM
VitaminCaim said:

It's definitely not the same thing to just watch a video of it. Especially if you don't know if your computer can run it well. You never know with games these days, some just run absolutely horribly when they should run fine in theory.

It's not like I'm supporting piracy though, just to let you know, it's still a bad thing.

Also, what's with developers who hate or don't trust their PC community because of piracy when piracy exists even on the console? It seems Bioware managed to delay piracy of Dragon Age Inquisition on the PC by stacking DRM on top of DRM encryption and whatever, but it's still being pirated on the console.
Modified by Rokumi, Dec 9, 2014 6:00 PM

Dec 9, 2014 7:39 PM

Rokumi said:
VitaminCaim said:

It's definitely not the same thing to just watch a video of it. Especially if you don't know if your computer can run it well. You never know with games these days, some just run absolutely horribly when they should run fine in theory.

It's not like I'm supporting piracy though, just to let you know, it's still a bad thing.

Also, what's with developers who hate or don't trust their PC community because of piracy when piracy exists even on the console? It seems Bioware managed to delay piracy of Dragon Age Inquisition on the PC by stacking DRM on top of DRM encryption and whatever, but it's still being pirated on the console.
Oh that's why I wasn't able to find DA on any public trackers.

Dec 9, 2014 7:47 PM

Rokumi said:
VitaminCaim said:

Because to pirate on console means you have to mod it and can't use it online, most people won't want to do that whereas on PC no such restriction applies. Steam pretty much saved the PC market because without it and it's super convenient service and sales piracy on PC would be even more rampant. It's no wonder they don't trust PC players haha

Dec 9, 2014 8:01 PM
Jrittmayer said:
Rokumi said:

Because to pirate on console means you have to mod it and can't use it online, most people won't want to do that whereas on PC no such restriction applies. Steam pretty much saved the PC market because without it and it's super convenient service and sales piracy on PC would be even more rampant. It's no wonder they don't trust PC players haha

You can't play pirated games online on PC either.

Dec 9, 2014 10:29 PM

Rokumi said:

There is still no moral justification for pirating. Check your hardware. Research the game you're about to buy and see if your specs can run it or not. If you can't, you can't. If you're so worried about specs to the point that you're considering torrenting instead of you know, upgrading your hardware, then I feel sorry for you.

Pirates are ruining games. Fucking devs are so annoyed with pirating that they spend more money/time on DRMs and making it anti-pirate proof instead of you know, improving the game.

Unless the company doesn't make money off the purchase or if there's no possible way to legally get it (which is also hard to justify since Steam is everywhere) like anime, then any other excuse is just a veiled attempt to make yourself feel better for stealing.

Dec 9, 2014 10:42 PM

Wot iz suikoden?
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Dec 9, 2014 10:53 PM

Rokumi said:
Jrittmayer said:

Well you technically can, but that usually takes time that is better spent elsewhere. Also if developers really wanted to stop piracy, they could just pull a Blizzard.

Dec 10, 2014 3:14 AM

Rokumi said:

You will also jeopardize other online uses, such as digital downloads, DLC etc. Kind of like having a computer with no internet at all. It's hardly worth it, especially when you can easily pirate with a PC, which you will need anyway if you want to pirate with a console. Some AAA game is going to be in the bargain bin within two years anyway.

Dec 10, 2014 4:48 AM

VitaminCaim said:
Unless the company doesn't make money off the purchase or if there's no possible way to legally get it (which is also hard to justify since Steam is everywhere) like anime, then any other excuse is just a veiled attempt to make yourself feel better for stealing.

There are ways to justify piracy along moral lines. Piracy is not "copyright infringement" in the same way that taking someone's product and then trying to sell it yourself, or stealing a drawing and saying you drew it, or using someone else's logo, is.

Dec 10, 2014 5:15 AM

If pirating was really a problem, most companies would have already sorted it out. Take Nintendo as example, it is the company that most "suffered" with piracy in the whole history, and they are still the biggest and strongest game developing company. The reason? Piracy means free advertisement. If Nintendo wanted to, they could do like Blizzard did do Diablo 3 or worse.

Dec 10, 2014 5:28 AM

I dunno man. It's just a game. It's not like I can't wait to play a game I'm interested in. I can play other games while I'm waiting for an official release, or I can do, well, anything else.

Dec 13, 2014 3:05 PM
VitaminCaim said:
Rokumi said:

There is still no moral justification for pirating. Check your hardware. Research the game you're about to buy and see if your specs can run it or not. If you can't, you can't. If you're so worried about specs to the point that you're considering torrenting instead of you know, upgrading your hardware, then I feel sorry for you.

Pirates are ruining games. Fucking devs are so annoyed with pirating that they spend more money/time on DRMs and making it anti-pirate proof instead of you know, improving the game.

You shouldn't have to upgrade if you pass the required specifications. "Research" or asking people won't help. I was once told on my old laptop I wasn't able to play Skyrim on any settings at all. I was able to play on max settings. There's so much BS out there, and everyone, even with the same specifications, won't experience the same results, so you sometimes can't know if you can run a game or not until you have tried it. That's PC gaming.

Oh, and it seems that Dragon Age Inquisition and others have been cracked on PC. There goes that... pirating is impossible to stop. Instead of fighting it like every single game company out there, it should simply be accepted as a fact, and things should be done to encourage people not to pirate. CDProjekt and GOG is a perfect example of this. If more game developers took the CDPR attitude, then there would be less pirates I think.
Modified by Rokumi, Dec 13, 2014 3:10 PM

Dec 13, 2014 3:49 PM

Lipi said:

There are ways to justify piracy along moral lines. Piracy is not "copyright infringement" in the same way that taking someone's product and then trying to sell it yourself, or stealing a drawing and saying you drew it, or using someone else's logo, is.
Elaborate.
Rokumi said:
VitaminCaim said:

You shouldn't have to upgrade if you pass the required specifications. "Research" or asking people won't help. I was once told on my old laptop I wasn't able to play Skyrim on any settings at all. I was able to play on max settings. There's so much BS out there, and everyone, even with the same specifications, won't experience the same results, so you sometimes can't know if you can run a game or not until you have tried it. That's PC gaming.

Oh, and it seems that Dragon Age Inquisition and others have been cracked on PC. There goes that... pirating is impossible to stop. Instead of fighting it like every single game company out there, it should simply be accepted as a fact, and things should be done to encourage people not to pirate. CDProjekt and GOG is a perfect example of this. If more game developers took the CDPR attitude, then there would be less pirates I think.

Making a service that is a bigger pain in the ass than pirating it is obviously going to encourage pirating.

Even if pirating is becoming almost impossible to stop, that will not stop me from condemning pirates who don't have a good reason for pirating (As I stated before, pirating games that are inaccessible, were made a long time ago, won't actually help the devs, is A-OK)
But some pirates are still complete assholes. Heard of World of Goo and the Humble Indie Bundle?

World of Goo has no DRM and it even has a demo. The game is worth 10 measly dollars on Steam. When the devs looked at the piracy rates they still refused to add DRM. 90% of World of Goo copies were illegitimately obtained.

The Indie Humble Bundle offered only 5 games. Most of the proceedings were going to charity and you could only pay 1 measly cent, 0.01, to get 5 fucking games. Over 25% of the Indie Humble Bundle was pirated. This is also a bundle with no DRM.

Oh and if you actually follow those crappy Steam system recs than you're not doing it right. Research harder.

Dec 13, 2014 3:59 PM

Surprising enough I buy all of my Steam games (25 titles)

But I pirated all of my VN :3

Dec 13, 2014 4:01 PM

NakedButtPirate said:
Surprising enough I buy all of my Steam games (25 titles)

But I pirated all of my VN :3
Yeah... Fuck Japan for not making their games or anime accessible. I'll pirate that shit away until they introduce a good anime service (which is probably never) with how stagnant they are on thinking.

Dec 13, 2014 5:02 PM

Live free.

Pirate if you want, support if you wish. Don't be bounded by the trivial moral standards or man-made laws in this society.

VitaminCaim said:
VitaminCaim said:
Yeah... Fuck Japan for not making their games or anime accessible. I'll pirate that shit away until they introduce a good anime service (which is probably never) with how stagnant they are on thinking.

For all the condemnation you have with pirates, you're just having double standards regarding (western) games and anime. The grey area where you decide it is acceptable to engage in piracy is entirely decided by yourself.

Dec 13, 2014 5:21 PM

live2win said:
Live free.

Pirate if you want, support if you wish. Don't be bounded by the trivial moral standards or man-made laws in this society.

VitaminCaim said:
VitaminCaim said:

For all the condemnation you have with pirates, you're just having double standards regarding (western) games and anime. The grey area where you decide it is acceptable to engage in piracy is entirely decided by yourself.
Not double standards. I genuinely believe that it's OK to pirate if the service provided is shit. The service with owning anime is shit while the service for owning games isn't as bad.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »