Forum Settings
Forums

If my comupter screen is only 720p, is watching 1080p anime pointless?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Dec 7, 2014 7:20 PM

What do you think? I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking.

Apparently my computer only supports native 720P on its screen but I do watch a lot of 1080p anime and other stuff.

Its especially relevant for me because downloading 720p anime is a lot faster for me on a slow ass internet connection vs 1080 file sizes..

Dec 8, 2014 2:58 AM
Yes. mainly because 720p screens will cause lag. when you play a video that is larger then the screen size.

Dec 8, 2014 3:03 AM
yes its pointless and you are also wasting electricity since higher resolutions needs higher CPU power especially that fansubs now a days are using 10-bit-depth x264 that have no hardware acceleration support

Dec 8, 2014 3:52 AM

Yes. Your video player will downsize it to 720p anyway, so you'd just be wasting hard drive space and processing power.

Dec 8, 2014 4:53 AM
If you have a larger HD Screen, then just connect it to the bigger screen.

Dec 8, 2014 5:22 AM
yes

Dec 8, 2014 8:04 AM
Actually no, even if your screen has lower resolution, you will notice better and more saturated picture with videos of higher resolutions.

Dec 8, 2014 4:02 PM

probably pointless unless you're like me and watch it on HDTV via HDMI

Dec 8, 2014 4:59 PM

I do have a 1080P Samsung computer monitor that I got for Christmas 3 years ago, but I don't have the right connections to connect my macbook pro 13'' summer 2012 base model laptop to that screen.

I was downloading 1080 on my old dinosaur laptop and watching it on the samsung screen with a standard VGA cable that came with the computer monitor. But that computer crapped out on me a month ago so...

Dec 8, 2014 5:34 PM
Psajdako-chan said:
Actually no, even if your screen has lower resolution, you will notice better and more saturated picture with videos of higher resolutions.

That's what I thought as well

But there's still really no point. 720p is good enough, even on 1080p monitors

Dec 8, 2014 5:48 PM

midnightblade said:
I do have a 1080P Samsung computer monitor that I got for Christmas 3 years ago, but I don't have the right connections to connect my macbook pro 13'' summer 2012 base model laptop to that screen.

I was downloading 1080 on my old dinosaur laptop and watching it on the samsung screen with a standard VGA cable that came with the computer monitor. But that computer crapped out on me a month ago so...

you could buy an hdmi cable for ~10 bucks or so and enjoy your anime in full hd

Dec 8, 2014 10:08 PM

neither the computer or the computer monitor have hdmi ports sadly..

VGA for the monitor, and some funny macbook ports on my laptop.

Dec 8, 2014 10:15 PM

ouch, that sucks. you could get a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter for your mac, and a vga cable, but it'll cost a bit. the adapter alone is 30 bucks, while the cable is 10+ bucks.
not to mention that the quality will probably suffer because it's vga (meaning, you might get noise)

Dec 9, 2014 3:38 AM
Time to upgrade get a Graphics card with a HDMI port.
If you use your PC for games, it would be a investment for that as well.

Dec 9, 2014 4:59 AM

shintai88 said:

But he clearly stated he's using a Macbook......?

Eh, just download 1080p and 720p version of the same file and see for yourself, if you can't tell the difference then just stick with the 720p version :P

Dec 9, 2014 5:19 AM
Jrittmayer said:
shintai88 said:

But he clearly stated he's using a Macbook......?

Eh, just download 1080p and 720p version of the same file and see for yourself, if you can't tell the difference then just stick with the 720p version :P

Does he? All he said was he had funny macbook ports on his laptop.
And its so rare to hear a apple user refer to a macbook as a computer.

Dec 9, 2014 9:09 AM

MacBook Pro 13'' Summer 2012 base model, that is my laptop. Yes macbooks are computers. I got it as a gift for my college graduation last December (1 year ago) because my old college laptop was 4.5 years old (currently 5.5 years old) and crapping out on me. My old laptop is a Lenovo X200, which was a solid laptop for web-browsing , Microsoft office functions, playing videos, but it was not all suited for playing video games, its more like a business laptop. Currently its not working, sometime next year I'll be a new charger and then a new battery if needed to see if I can get it to work that way.

I don't use it for gaming at all, besides rarely playing some roms of games that are super expensive and/or rare (for example I'm playing Fire Emblem Path of Radiance on it).

I mainly use my Ps2 and to a lesser extent my Ps4 and Ps3 (disk reader broken on Ps3 but can still play downloadable games perfectly) for gaming. In a year or so I'll probably playing mostly on my Ps4, potentially a lot of good games are supposed to come out for it next year (ESPECIALLY if Kingdom Hearts 3, Metal Gear Solid 5 Phantom Pain, Final Fantasy 15 actually come out in 2015).
Modified by midnightblade, Dec 9, 2014 9:14 AM

Dec 9, 2014 9:41 AM

Psajdako-chan said:
^ This

MPC + MadVR + HDMI + TV = Glorious visual anime quality

1080p really shows the difference with 720p once you start watching anime on TV with an HDMI plugged to your comp

Dec 9, 2014 1:56 PM

I used to watch anime in 1080p on my 720p monitor. There was a better quality of picture (as I recall). But now I watch 1080p on 1080p screen.

p.s. I wonder when will be first time when I will watch anime in 4k resolution.
"The blood makes us human, makes us more than human, makes us human no more." -Master Willem from Bloodborne.

Dec 9, 2014 3:02 PM

I saw a 4K computer monitor at best buy a few weeks back. Can't remember how much it cost though.. probably a bit cheaper than most 4K TVs which are of course pretty costly for the most part. Especially if you get one one over 50''...

Dec 9, 2014 3:06 PM
Not really considering most anime produced currently are at borderline HD.

"4k"

LOL nope.

Dec 9, 2014 4:03 PM

4K is an overpriced gimmick. are there even content in 4K other than sports channel..?

Dec 9, 2014 4:58 PM

So many experts at the start of this thread.

Answer
Without getting into the technicalities: of course not.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&

Dec 9, 2014 5:52 PM
DreamingBeats said:
4K is an overpriced gimmick. are there even content in 4K other than sports channel..?

4k is the future though. Some day...

Dec 9, 2014 8:42 PM

Rokumi said:
DreamingBeats said:

Agree, especially in gaming
"The blood makes us human, makes us more than human, makes us human no more." -Master Willem from Bloodborne.

Dec 9, 2014 10:01 PM

ExTamplierRuss said:
Rokumi said:

Agree, especially in gaming

Yeah, maybe in 2018 - early 2020s.
Until then, 1080p will still be the standard.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&

Dec 9, 2014 10:37 PM

There's always downsampling. No, you aren't wasting your time and space. Your computer basically just downsamples the 1080 pixels and allot them to 720 pixels of your screen. It's just like anti-aliasing, except with a different name.

The answers on the first page are all wrong.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Dec 9, 2014 10:45 PM

geniobastardo said:
There's always downsampling. No, you aren't wasting your time and space. Your computer basically just downsamples the 1080 pixels and allot them to 720 pixels of your screen. It's just like anti-aliasing, except with a different name.

actually he is precisely by the reason you gave.
he's wasting more time getting *ahem* the 1080p file, which will be downsampled to 720p anyway
the 1080p also takes significantly more memory space than 720p files.

Dec 9, 2014 10:50 PM

DreamingBeats said:
geniobastardo said:

he's wasting more time getting *ahem* the 1080p file, which will be downsampled to 720p anyway

downsampling isn't the same as 'changing' 1080 pixels into 720 pixels. That's downgrading not downsampling. Basically, what downsampling from 1080p to 720p does is, allot 2 vertical pixels of the video to each vertical pixel of the screen. That is to say, 1 pixel on your screen now shows 2 pixels of the video you're playing. Thus resulting in a more sharper image. Do you know what Anti-Aliasing is? if you do downsampling then you have no need for AA. Therefore, the notion that it's a waste of time and space is completely wrong since the output is way superior.
~Oscar
[/i]

Dec 9, 2014 11:06 PM
geniobastardo said:
DreamingBeats said:

downsampling isn't the same as 'changing' 1080 pixels into 720 pixels. That's downgrading not downsampling. Basically, what downsampling from 1080p to 720p does is, allot 2 vertical pixels of the video to each vertical pixel of the screen. That is to say, 1 pixel on your screen now shows 2 pixels of the video you're playing. Thus resulting in a more sharper image. Do you know what Anti-Aliasing is? if you do downsampling then you have no need for AA. Therefore, the notion that it's a waste of time and space is completely wrong since the output is way superior.

err no dude, check this out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_scaler you can find terms like upscaling and downscaling there which converts the video signals to either a higher resolution or lower resolution

i got no idea where you get your info from but i would like to know your sources

and also anime is only made from 480p to 720p, if you see a 1080p anime that is in most cases a upscale, a crunchyroll employee already confirmed that here - https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/htuqk/we_are_crunchyroll_the_biggest_legit_anime/c1yd4bg

Note: Anime is commonly drawn between 480p and 720p, and 1080p are most often upscales from those. Certain non-animation assets are sometimes rendered at the higher resolution.

even highly budgeted anime movies like Rebuild of Evangelion movie was only animated on 720p https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/19phf0/anime_art_quality_and_anibin_did_you_know_that/

so 1080p is just a waste of space, time, electricity and just gives you a placebo effect

Dec 9, 2014 11:17 PM
Actually, i am even more baffled that digital media players came with downsampling. Do they really? As far as i know, media players such as the one i am using now(madVR) only have resizers that deals with both upscaling and downscaling the video.
Modified by worldeditor11, Dec 9, 2014 11:21 PM

Dec 9, 2014 11:32 PM
worldeditor11 said:
Actually, i am even more baffled that digital media players came with downsampling. Do they really? As far as i know, media players such as the one i am using now(madVR) only have resizers that deals with both upscaling and downscaling the video.

i got no idea too, if i hear downsampling i immediately think of video games and their hardware while if i hear about downscaling i immediately think of digital images and videos

geniobastardo maybe applying video game technicalities on video encoding which are slightly different from what i know

i have been lurking doom9 and fansubbing forums like animesuki since 2007 and i never read those facts by geniobastardo so im asking for his sources because i doubt they are facts on video encoding world

Dec 9, 2014 11:41 PM
j0x said:
worldeditor11 said:

i got no idea too, if i hear downsampling i immediately think of video games and their hardware while if i hear about downscaling i immediately think of digital images and videos

geniobastardo maybe applying video game technicalities on video encoding which are slightly different from what i know

i have been lurking doom9 and fansubbing forums like animesuki since 2007 and i never read those facts by geniobastardo so im asking for his sources because i doubt they are facts on video encoding world
Thats what i am able to conclude too after an hour or so of googling. After reading a bunch of things related to downsampling, i don't think it is possible for anime or any digital video content to even have downsampling due to how it works.

Dec 10, 2014 12:41 AM

The only reason you'd see a better quality 1080p video on a 720p display, is that the quality of the video is better regardless of the resolution.

I'm no expert, so a bit of this is conjecture. I imagine when downscaling/downsampling or whatever it is happens, whatever amount of artifacts or visual problems also gets the same treatment to a degree and becomes less noticeable, and thus an increase in quality is perceived when no actual increase in quality has been met. That said, what is perceived is still pleasing, so it's hard to say whether or not it's worth it.

Basically, it isn't the resolution that is causing the problem, but the source of the video.

Or whatever ignore me I only half know what I'm talking about here.

But the question here is "what if you take a big picture and turn it into a smaller picture, does it look better than a smaller picture"? It's ridiculous.

Dec 10, 2014 12:53 AM
Thrashinuva said:

But the question here is "what if you take a big picture and turn it into a smaller picture, does it look better than a smaller picture"? It's ridiculous.

that is the basic idea behind downscaling (for images and videos), the smaller picture will become good looking depending on the screen size/resolution of whatever device its hosted on, in this case a smaller screen resolution that is closer to the resolution of the smaller picture is the best fit for that smaller image

Dec 10, 2014 1:34 AM

The short answer: Kinda.

The longer answer: If the actual native resolution of your screen is 1366x768, watching a 1920x1080 source file will still downscale to 720p (actually 768p) but you will keep an extra 48 lines of pixels as opposed to loading a source file that is 1280x720, which would actually require some upscaling anyway to make up for the extra 48 lines. While not a huge difference, it's a difference nonetheless. If it matters to you, then by all means, continue with the 1080p downloads.

The bottom line is that you are losing information during the downscaling process and the quality of the file will not be the same as the original. Whether you actually notice the difference or not is a personal matter. In your case OP, you're not really gaining anything by downloading 1080p files (except maybe 48 extra lines of pixels) but you're not really losing anything by downloading one or the other. The key to remember with 720p vs 1080p is that the overall size of the image is what changes and 1080p allows for more detail to be displayed.

And while I didn't know anything about the native production resolution of anime myself, if what Jox is saying is true and anime is only being upscaled to 1080p, you're definitely not gaining anything.

My advice to you is if you aren't using a 1080p display, save yourself the filesize and download times and go for the 720.

And just to clear things up for people who think watching anything with a 1080p source input on a native 720p display will somehow make the image look better, there's good news:

Edit: Edited for clarity.
Modified by NTAD, Dec 10, 2014 2:03 AM

Dec 10, 2014 8:23 AM

j0x said:
geniobastardo said:

err no dude, check this out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_scaler you can find terms like upscaling and downscaling there which converts the video signals to either a higher resolution or lower resolution

i got no idea where you get your info from but i would like to know your sources

and also anime is only made from 480p to 720p, if you see a 1080p anime that is in most cases a upscale, a crunchyroll employee already confirmed that here - https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/htuqk/we_are_crunchyroll_the_biggest_legit_anime/c1yd4bg

Note: Anime is commonly drawn between 480p and 720p, and 1080p are most often upscales from those. Certain non-animation assets are sometimes rendered at the higher resolution.

even highly budgeted anime movies like Rebuild of Evangelion movie was only animated on 720p https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/19phf0/anime_art_quality_and_anibin_did_you_know_that/

so 1080p is just a waste of space, time, electricity and just gives you a placebo effect

The upscaling part changes everything. I wasn't sure about anime but in games, you definitely get a sharper and a much clearer image by downsampling from higher resolution and then displaying it on a lower resolution. That's a fact when it comes to games, thanks for clarifying it for the anime.

NTAD said:

And just to clear things up for people who think watching anything with a 1080p source input on a native 720p display will somehow make the image look better, there's good news:

Actually it does, if and I repeat if the image is not upscaled beforehand.
Let's take the 4k mod for Dark Souls. The only thing that mod does is to bump up the resolution to a stunning 4k and then it depends if you have the monitor or not. But even if you're using a 720p monitor, you would still see the obvious difference; The sharper textures and more detailed environments.
I'm on my laptop now, if I was on my PC I would've showed you some screenshots from Shadow of Mordor. I played that game on a 768p monitor and bumped up the resolution to 1152p. The difference became obvious. I kept the rest of the settings on Ultra (textures were set on high cuz of the insane VRAM requirements). The result on 1152p downscaled was much sharper and more detailed.
~Oscar
[/i]

Dec 10, 2014 8:36 AM
No point the, just download the 720p or upgrade your pc. For me I am upgrading my connection to 105 down on Monday so downloading 1080p won't be a problem for me,. Plus my pc supports 1080p as well.

Dec 10, 2014 8:40 AM

Dec 10, 2014 8:52 AM
Hug Addict <3

there's no way 1080p will ever look worse than 720p at least so regardless of what the technical truth may be you might as well just run with it~

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Dec 10, 2014 11:31 AM

TO your answer,Yes the monitor will reduce the resolution from 1080hd to 720p so you can either way until you get a 1080hd monitor to view it at full hd settings.
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess"

Dec 10, 2014 3:38 PM
HaXXspetten said:
there's no way 1080p will ever look worse than 720p at least so regardless of what the technical truth may be you might as well just run with it~
The thing is, it does but only if the anime was produced lower than the full HD resolution standard.

Dec 10, 2014 4:29 PM
guys, anime/film/tv isn't video games

Dec 10, 2014 11:30 PM

Lol, I'm so used to the shitty stream qualities you get on anime sites that as long as its 480p its good enough to enjoy.

Dec 11, 2014 3:36 AM

I never got all this talk of resolutions. I never saw the difference. And before you say it, I have compared them and any difference in quality I saw was minute.

Dec 11, 2014 8:56 PM

midnightblade said:

You got another solution get a device called Chromcast for $35 this is all I do now stream everything to my HDTV and the quality is damn excellent.IF you are subscribed to CR then it's an easy app transferring streams to your HDTV. or alternately free app like #animania which has Chromecast support in PlayStore..

[img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaltrends-uploads-prod/2013/07/chromecast.jpg[/img]

Dec 11, 2014 10:45 PM
Rohb said:
midnightblade said:

You got another solution get a device called Chromcast for $35 this is all I do now stream everything to my HDTV and the quality is damn excellent.IF you are subscribed to CR then it's an easy app transferring streams to your HDTV. or alternately free app like #animania which has Chromecast support in PlayStore..

the chromecast operates over hdmi

:/

Dec 11, 2014 11:14 PM

dity said:
Rohb said:

the chromecast operates over hdmi

:/
Derp

May 17, 2016 5:32 AM
Old thread, but not pointless. Watching in 1080p means streaming in higher bitrates, so you can still tell differences in quality and colour.

May 17, 2016 5:37 AM

lol 1080p anime is a meme. Most "1080p" anime are just upscales. There are some pretty decent movies that are 1080p but you're not missing anything.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »