Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 6, 2014 2:59 PM

May 2014
Hey guys. So when i started reading manga it came off as kind of boring and it wasn't nearly as good as watching anime. I decided to start listening to music along while reading and it actually helped a lot. Now, i didn't really listen to songs with words, more like OSTs (can't really concentrate on reading when I'm listening to real songs since the words to the song divert my attention). And so i found out something really intersting, after finishing my first manga (kimi no iru machi) while listening to the music every time i listen to the ost i used i remember the manga just like you would remeber an anime if you listen to its actual ost.

Does anyone else do this?what are your thoughts?

Ps. I listen to osts from HDsoundi's youtube channel, its really good.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 6, 2014 3:33 PM

Jun 2014
I've always been a reader, so I don't need music to focus.

Also, my hearing is going a bit bad, so I try not to listen to music for too long. I tend to get headaches when I do that, too.

If I were to read while listening to music, I'd mostly just use instrumental music. That's what I did when trying to read textbooks for school.
Dec 6, 2014 3:37 PM

Jun 2014
I get so distracted when I listen to music while reading manga.
Dec 6, 2014 3:39 PM

Dec 2012
No, I'd prefer some peace and quiet.
Dec 6, 2014 4:39 PM

Apr 2013
Alpha101 said:
Hey guys. So when i started reading manga it came off as kind of boring and it wasn't nearly as good as watching anime. I decided to start listening to music along while reading and it actually helped a lot. Now, i didn't really listen to songs with words, more like OSTs (can't really concentrate on reading when I'm listening to real songs since the words to the song divert my attention). And so i found out something really intersting, after finishing my first manga (kimi no iru machi) while listening to the music every time i listen to the ost i used i remember the manga just like you would remeber an anime if you listen to its actual ost.

Sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't.. I have read manga for years and years and just 2 years ago started doing this..

Usually when it's a manga that involves a lot of words, I prefer to keep it quiet so I can concentrate, but when it's either an action manga, or something light, I tend to look for music that best fits the manga..

With Katekyo Hitman Reborn, I always listen to the song "Car Radio" by Twenty One Pilots, I don't know why I'm fixed on that song and manga, whenever I read Dengeki Daisy, I listen to the album "If you were a movie, this would be your soundtrack" by Sleeping with Sirens, I love how the music accentuates the feelings of the manga in both cases, for other manga, less specifically I listen to osts of anime, relaxing or fast paced depending on the manga's mood.

PS. Not because I get bored by the manga or anything, it's more something I do for fun than something I need.. :)
Dec 6, 2014 6:15 PM

Apr 2012
Sometimes, if the manga has an anime adaptation, I listen to the OST as I read.
Dec 6, 2014 6:49 PM

Nov 2014
Occasionally I will listen to music as I read manga, if I'm reading on the bus and I want to drown out the conversations of others. Otherwise, I prefer silence.
Dec 6, 2014 7:08 PM

Sep 2013
I like to immerse myself in the manga I read :(

Zeebrah said:
Dec 6, 2014 7:19 PM

Jan 2012
I always listen to soundtrack/ost while reading manga

Dec 6, 2014 7:27 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
When it's a series I think is really good (rated 8+) I prefer silence over music, but when I read stuff in the 5~7 range music really helps. I do that too so you're definitely not alone. I can't really focus if the music has lyrics. Extended versions of instrumentals are always a plus.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Dec 6, 2014 8:21 PM

Aug 2014
I can't focus with music on. It kinda ruins the mood for me, like sad music playing while reading a funny scene and vice versa.
Dec 6, 2014 10:43 PM

May 2014
dream_eater1012 said:

Also, my hearing is going a bit bad, so I try not to listen to music for too long. I tend to get headaches when I do that, too.

If I were to read while listening to music, I'd mostly just use instrumental music. That's what I did when trying to read textbooks for school.

Lol I don't use music to focus. I use it to make the reading more epic and immersive. And I usually listen to it at low volumes, its more of a background soundtrack to get me in the "mood" and the OSTs I use (from Hdsouni's youtube channel) really ADD to the manga. Honestly after listening to music while reading manga every time I try reading in silence it feels boring and bland.
BakaKyon said:
I can't focus with music on. It kinda ruins the mood for me, like sad music playing while reading a funny scene and vice versa.

The music I use is kinda mutual so it don't really kill the mood. I usually read a lot of romance/drama stuff.

HeNrYTG50 said:
Alpha101 said:

Sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't.. I have read manga for years and years and just 2 years ago started doing this..

Usually when it's a manga that involves a lot of words, I prefer to keep it quiet so I can concentrate, but when it's either an action manga, or something light, I tend to look for music that best fits the manga..

With Katekyo Hitman Reborn, I always listen to the song "Car Radio" by Twenty One Pilots, I don't know why I'm fixed on that song and manga, whenever I read Dengeki Daisy, I listen to the album "If you were a movie, this would be your soundtrack" by Sleeping with Sirens, I love how the music accentuates the feelings of the manga in both cases, for other manga, less specifically I listen to osts of anime, relaxing or fast paced depending on the manga's mood.

PS. Not because I get bored by the manga or anything, it's more something I do for fun than something I need.. :)

Cool. Well I usually listen to instrumental/OST stuff, since I can't really concentrate when I'm hearing lyrics too. The OSTs and music in anime have always been a big point for me. And since manga didn't have that I felt something was missing and it felt really bland. Adding music to manga has increased the experience a lot.
Dec 7, 2014 4:52 AM
Dec 2014
Zeebrah said:
facebook password hack
Me too.. I find it near impossible to play music wile reading manga
Dec 7, 2014 5:30 AM
Jul 2018
Nah can't really think if there is something from the background yo so in silence or a chuckles is what i hear when i read duwde
Dec 7, 2014 11:42 AM

Jun 2014
Alpha101 said:
dream_eater1012 said:

Lol I don't use music to focus. I use it to make the reading more epic and immersive. And I usually listen to it at low volumes, its more of a background soundtrack to get me in the "mood" and the OSTs I use (from Hdsouni's youtube channel) really ADD to the manga. Honestly after listening to music while reading manga every time I try reading in silence it feels boring and bland.

Well I guess "focus" would be a bad choice of words. What I more so mean is that I don't need music to feel immersed in the story, and music wouldn't add to the experience. At least for me, if I have to rely on other things to get into a story, it's probably not a good one.
Dec 7, 2014 6:20 PM

May 2014
dream_eater1012 said:
Alpha101 said:

Well I guess "focus" would be a bad choice of words. What I more so mean is that I don't need music to feel immersed in the story, and music wouldn't add to the experience. At least for me, if I have to rely on other things to get into a story, it's probably not a good one.

Really? I guess that your preference though. I don't particularly need it or rely on music to be immersed. I'm just saying for me personally it really adds to the manga. Like when I'm listening to an epic soundtrack it makes everything I read feel epic. For example it would be like for an anime like bleach. If you've ever seen any of the fights you'll know how epic the soundtrack is when he fights and honestly, the fights wouldn't be as good without the amazing OSTs. I mean the fighting would still be good, but just not as good.
Dec 8, 2014 2:17 AM

Oct 2013
I can read em in silent n get REAL immersed and its weird when reading it coz if your reading somethin amazing, you kinda block out sounds and subconsciously make your own sound effects within your head and you see the characters moving like in an anime (not litterly). when its somethin I get REALLY into I sometimes read a lot of it and then look at it twice and Im like "oh yeah its a manga" I somehow convinced myself it was an anime in a way. - dunno if that makes sense

I DO listen to music while reading quite a bit too. mostly OST's or instrumnentals. coz well......songs with words make it harder to read UNLESS its a language I cant understand.

OST's really give off a great feel for when readin mangas IF you got the right instrumental on tht is. sometimes I dont give a shit n put anything on as long as I can still read.
TheNoseOfDeathDec 8, 2014 2:22 AM
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Dec 8, 2014 2:30 AM

Oct 2013
Alpha101 said:
dream_eater1012 said:

Really? I guess that your preference though. I don't particularly need it or rely on music to be immersed. I'm just saying for me personally it really adds to the manga. Like when I'm listening to an epic soundtrack it makes everything I read feel epic. For example it would be like for an anime like bleach. If you've ever seen any of the fights you'll know how epic the soundtrack is when he fights and honestly, the fights wouldn't be as good without the amazing OSTs. I mean the fighting would still be good, but just not as good.

I can totally understand you dude! when an epic moment comes music is a MUST!!!!!! the last part during Gantz (havnt read it all though) I put on Black Bird by a Flood Of Circle n shit was insane! n then forest walker.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Dec 8, 2014 5:59 AM

Sep 2013
I listen to music for a significant portion of each day so yes I prefer reading manga with music and no I dont find any type of music distracting. Though, because I only read manga after their anime adaptations, I do prefer listening to the OST of the anime while reading the manga.
Dec 8, 2014 6:07 AM

Jan 2014
all the time I listened to music while reading manga. Mostly game soundtracks.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Dec 8, 2014 9:06 AM

Oct 2014
Nope, I prefer silence when reading.
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Dec 8, 2014 9:12 AM

Mar 2014
Music helps me read manga since i always need background noise on when i'm reading
Everyone is out there having a social life and I'm here watching anime.

Dec 9, 2014 9:43 PM

Apr 2014
Depends all upon my mood, I may listen to music or choose to go without it.
When I do listen to music it is sometimes with words as they don't distract me.
Actually, considering that I listen to a character playlist when I write...
Okay let me explain a little better than this...

I go on a website where I roleplay with friends where we all have characters
and we write for them in their persona... I find that it helps me to select music
that fits the character type I've made be it OST or from a popular band/artist.
Now, while listening I write/type up a "post" for the character and the music
as I said before really helps my mind slip into the character's mind set so
everything then becomes so much easier for me to write which in turn has
me re-reading what I've written or reading my friends' posts to get the reply out.

But, for certain manga series I wouldn't doubt listening to the music from the
Anime as being helpful to remember it... It was like my reading a series called
The Mortal Instruments while listening to the soundtrack from the first movie.
Definitely helped me remember everything and feel the character's emotions.

Although, as I said, I can read in silence since I like reading anyways...
but trying to read Manga while someone has the TV on is a no-go.
I always switch rooms at that point because I just can't focus then.
Dec 10, 2014 1:11 PM

Jul 2008
I listen to either Ludovico Einaudi or Joe Hisaishi when I read manga (and sometimes various instrumental songs from the likes of Mogwai and Sigur Ros), but it's all music I've listened to a ton before, so it never evokes whichever manga I'm reading, nor does it remind me of it afterwards.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Dec 10, 2014 2:56 PM

May 2013
Touka said:
I listen to either Ludovico Einaudi or Joe Hisaishi when I read manga (and sometimes various instrumental songs from the likes of Mogwai and Sigur Ros), but it's all music I've listened to a ton before, so it never evokes whichever manga I'm reading, nor does it remind me of it afterwards.

Ludovico works wonders when reading peaceful works, like Youtsuba or other SoL stuff.
And op, you said
Alpha101 said:
So when i started reading manga it came off as kind of boring and it wasn't nearly as good as watching anime.

While sometimes music helps, it can definitely also destroy the mood if the author is going for something else. Somethings are meant to be read in silence to create a certain ambiance, like Oyasumi, from what i've read of it anyways.
"A samurai doesn't need a reason to take action. If something needs saving, all you have to do is grab your sword"-Sakata Gintoki
Dec 11, 2014 5:45 AM

Jul 2012
Music with words are simply annoying I don't listen to those types, most of the time I like to focus with the information presented to me, contrary to that I do enjoy the instrumentals I listen to that when a manga/Manhwa is really boring at a specific point ^^
EmeliaDec 11, 2014 6:55 AM
The Manga Society Rules MAL
Dec 11, 2014 5:46 AM

Sep 2013
Yup, always. I usually pick something that fits the manga. It can greatly enhance the experience imo.

Listening to the Gits and Unicorn OSTs back when I read Eden: It's an Endless World worked perfectly. I think I also listened to the Guilty Crown OST while reading Blame, that worked surprisingly well too.
Dec 12, 2014 12:23 PM

Sep 2014
Sometimes I read with one music but after my brain starts to make connections, and if one day I will listen again to the same music without reading I remember of the manga I read while listening the music.
Dec 15, 2014 1:18 PM

Dec 2014
Always, it enhances my manga reading experience. I put a song on repeat and that usually becomes the manga's theme song for me. But sometimes I don't mind silence either if I can't find the mood fitting music.
Dec 15, 2014 8:12 PM

May 2014
sakura-hanabi said:
Always, it enhances my manga reading experience. I put a song on repeat and that usually becomes the manga's theme song for me. But sometimes I don't mind silence either if I can't find the mood fitting music.

Cool me too. But most of the time its better with music. Now that i think about it, listening to music makes everything epic.
Dec 16, 2014 1:54 PM

Apr 2013
sakura-hanabi said:
Always, it enhances my manga reading experience.

Me too, i usually need some kind of background noise, though i can read in silence as well, but i prefer having music on at the same time.
Dec 19, 2014 10:14 PM

May 2013
usually i won't use music but when reading Berserk i had dubstep tracks going for much of it...went together really well actually
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 28, 2014 9:57 AM

Mar 2013
I do with manga that has hardly any dialogue, like Blame! for example. When i listen to the music again after finishing the manga, the memories and feelings of the manga will come back. It's sort of like re-reading it.
Dec 28, 2014 6:08 PM

May 2010
Soundtracks always. Creates the mood.
Dec 29, 2014 12:01 AM

Apr 2014
I guess listening to music blocks out noise from my surroundings? So that's why I do it. Before though, it used to distract me but I got used to it. I listen to whatever I want to listen at the moment, so there's always that moment when the music doesn't fit the current mood of the manga at all lmao.
Dec 29, 2014 12:06 AM

Oct 2014
Usually when i read,i get so drowned in the story that i can't even hear the music playing.
Dec 29, 2014 2:22 AM

Dec 2014
cheesel said:
Zeebrah said:
facebook password hack
Me too.. I find it near impossible to play music wile reading manga
heck yea, It willl just make me sing along to the music
Dec 29, 2014 2:25 AM

Feb 2013
I need peace and quiet to enjoy/take in information from my reads, sadly manga isn't an exception.
Dec 30, 2014 7:18 AM

Aug 2014
Depends on how loud my house is at that moment.
Jan 2, 2015 2:07 AM
Jul 2014
As long as the music (usually an OST) fits what I'm reading then I don't mind. Though it's a pain in the ass when the scene in the manga changes but the song is still going with the mood before the scene change...
Jan 2, 2015 3:13 AM

Jul 2014
Usually I prefer a quiet environment... then again sometimes I'm reading on the train, which occasionally includes listening to music (whether you want it or not).
Jan 2, 2015 3:15 AM

Jan 2013
Music really helps me concentrate in reading a manga. It also builds up some nice tension, i.e I've read 20th Century Boys with Akira soundtrack playing and that's a plus. I've read Vagabond with traditional Japanese Edo music, like Fukaki Umi no Kanata and Ibuki by Yoshida Brothers.
Jan 2, 2015 11:30 AM
Jan 2015
it's always fun listening to intense music while reading battle series. i gotta listen to instrumental song so i pay attention to the character dialogue instead of the song lyrics.
Jan 2, 2015 1:20 PM

Jun 2014
lazyking88 said:
it's always fun listening to intense music while reading battle series. i gotta listen to instrumental song so i pay attention to the character dialogue instead of the song lyrics.

with Berserk so good
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jan 2, 2015 1:35 PM

Oct 2014
Sometimes I do this. For example I have this album I love listening to while reading Tokyo Ghoul as it adds some emphasis to it. So it all just depends for me honestly.

OST are definitely the best way to go when listening to music while reading manga. Most of the time there isn't enough lyrics or anything to distract your concentration from the manga.
Jan 2, 2015 2:47 PM

Feb 2013
I don't listen to music while reading 'cause I usually drift of into the beat of the music. However, one time when I was in a car ride for 5 hours I listened to one song on repeat while reading Gunnm. So now every time I listen to that song I always think of Gunnm.

(btw, wasn't listening to the same song for 5 hours, was during like 1 hour)
~If only sorrow could build a staircase, our tears could show the way.
I would climb my way to heaven, and bring him back home again.~

Jan 7, 2015 5:31 PM

Oct 2013
i always read with music. After reading some chapters i don't pay attention to it. Many of my favorite songs are connected with great manga i've read!

Jan 9, 2015 10:28 AM

Aug 2010
I only listen to music when I read manga online.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jan 9, 2015 1:47 PM

Jul 2014
It happens, mostly music from games, movies or animes, if I do it. But I more often talk to a friend over skype when I am reading, or talking to my boyfriend, how is in the same room as me.

Mostly because I love to comment on the text I am reading, even if she doesn't read the same text or even are reading. I just thinks it's fun, to have someone to talk to when I am reading.
Time pass, people move...
Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Jan 9, 2015 1:48 PM

Aug 2014
Sometimes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

16 by kihel »»
6 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

25 by cody »»
6 hours ago

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Today, 8:38 AM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5931 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:26 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

7 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.