Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2009 2:41 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's no small irony that Mitaka was effectively done in by a dog. I sort of feel sorry for him, but I also think it's hilarious. Anyway, with only a few episodes left, it seems that the rest of the series will probably focus on Kyoko and Godai.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 16, 2009 2:58 AM

Apr 2008
I think it's interesting how they used such a comical situation to show how Mitaka's life is supposedly crumbling around him at this point. One of my favorite things about this show is how his situation is handled toward the end of the series. He could have easily been forgotten and discarded after he gave up on Kyoko so it's nice to see his story play out completely.
Nov 16, 2009 1:01 PM

Feb 2009
I do think that they stretched the Three's Company style "Wacky Misunderstanding" trope a little far with this episode, but I did like that it went to show that Mitaka wasn't really a bad guy- after all, he was willing to step up to the plate with regard to Asuna.

May 8, 2010 10:19 PM

Jul 2007
you know honestly it's crazy how mitaka is now. when i first saw him it seemed that he was just some player and kyoko was just the next game he was going to play. there was plenty of examples supporting this. but now u see mitaka and he is like a completely different guy.

but i still dont like him : )
Aug 8, 2011 8:10 AM

Jun 2009
I just can't understand Kyoko she seems unable to take a decision. Either that or she likes the thrill of having 2 men running after her.
Aug 8, 2011 8:12 AM

Jun 2009
CityLights said:
I think it's interesting how they used such a comical situation to show how Mitaka's life is supposedly crumbling around him at this point. One of my favorite things about this show is how his situation is handled toward the end of the series. He could have easily been forgotten and discarded after he gave up on Kyoko so it's nice to see his story play out completely.

You mean like Nanao was discarded - I wonder whether she will ever appear again
Nov 9, 2011 12:04 PM
Jul 2018
LOL! As sorry as I feel for Mitaka, that was pretty damn hilarious! I doubted from the begining that he and Asuna had sex. Sure, Mitaka was shown topless in bed, but usually, there would be more foreshadowing, like showing the woman in th midst of putting her clothes back on the next moning. I don't think the directors would've passed on that bit of fanservice.

Well, I hope he ends up falling for Asuna since I like her, and admittedly, he deserves a bit of happiness after going through all that trouble to get rid of his dog phobia and being turned down for the sake of a guy like Godai.
Jan 25, 2012 7:53 AM

Jun 2009
Marrying out of chivalric sentiments is a bit too much tough. Still for a woman like Asuna, I suppose it's probably worth it....
Mar 14, 2012 6:17 PM
Dec 2010
Ok Mitaka is finally out of the game but it somewhat doesn't feel like Godai's victory, it's more of Mitaka's misery, even worse after showing him taking responsibility for his dog's babies.
That said but Mitaka is marrying perfect Japanese girl, In time he will probably be much happier then he would ever be with certain never clear, jealous, face-slapping someone.

As for Godai+Kyoko- This circling between some sort of relationship then reverting it back to being just manager-tenant because of some misunderstanding then again getting closer and all over from start point again , again ,again - it's taking too long (80eps/5yrs) it needs to be ended finally. I'm starting to feel that i don't care which way, actually i would put Godai with Yagumi, i like how she fights for his sake with all her might, loves him, shows it to him, how she scolded Kyoko was priceless etc.
Just seen preview of next episode and omg Will this be going on till the last episode ? Hope not. Spare me Takahashi-san.

Sent with Mal Updater
greenmartyMar 14, 2012 6:28 PM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jul 19, 2012 12:07 AM

Oct 2009
That has to be the best misunderstanding of the entire series lol. This series truly is built on a chain of misunderstandings. I feel sorry for Mitaka's situation, but the way it happened was absolutely hilarious!!
So here we are with 9 episodes remaining, and still nothing has really happened between Godai and Kyoko. A hug...that's about all we've seen, well I hope they give us a good grand finale with the few remaining eps.
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Feb 21, 2013 11:08 AM

Apr 2012
Wow, what a hilarious and ironic end for Mitaka - that his successful attempt to rid himself of his fear of dogs for Kyoko's sake would ultimately lead him to get married to Asuna is just great.

Now all that is left is for Godai to finish growing a spine and solidify his relationship with Kyoko.
Aug 5, 2013 10:27 AM
Aug 2007
Misunderstandings galore now claim another victim. Mitaka's life. Sad that it ends like this for him... on a series of misunderstandings... was hoping for something more substancial..
Jul 8, 2014 11:38 AM

Jun 2010
I'm really impressed by the way this episode uses sitcom shenanigans in a dramatic fashion; Mitaka's final misunderstanding isn't really played for laughs at all. The final shot, of Mitaka standing, head bowed, in front of Kyoko as she wishes him happiness with another woman has this impotent sadness to it.
Feb 2, 2015 6:13 AM

Jun 2007
Don't be mad at McEnroe, Mitaka! He can't help it if bitches love him.
May 4, 2015 4:25 PM

Nov 2014
Hello Misunderstanding Its been a awhile since we last met.

Mitaka fate was ironically hilarious getting tricked into marriage by a dog.
Oct 20, 2015 9:29 AM
May 2015
This anime should get the Oscar under the best misunderstanding anime.
Jan 3, 2016 4:20 AM

Dec 2014
ok I never thought that someone will be punished for their dogs mistake
May 13, 2016 6:38 PM

Jan 2013
A nice parting gift from Kyoko!
Aug 11, 2016 8:33 PM

Jan 2013
I can't believe that would happen.
All he had to do was say "You're pregnant?!?" to clear up the misunderstanding.
Jun 29, 2017 11:24 AM

May 2009
RediceRyan said:

Exactly! This show never ask the right questions! If Mitaka just asked Asuna if she was the one expecting, it could have been cleared up. Even Asuna's mom thought she was pregnant just because her daughter "spent the night" at a man's house.

Ston3_FreeN7 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's no small irony that Mitaka was effectively done in by a dog. I sort of feel sorry for him, but I also think it's hilarious. Anyway, with only a few episodes left, it seems that the rest of the series will probably focus on Kyoko and Godai.

I also agree, his own dog got him good! XD
Nov 14, 2017 4:26 AM

May 2015
McEnroe you horny traitor. :(

Mitaka is gone. So long.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 30, 2017 8:33 PM

Mar 2014
Fuck this show infuriates me! Everyone is an idiot except perhaps the three tenants. Its so fucking stupid that such a silly misunderstanding led to a marriage.
Maggot_BrainDec 30, 2017 8:37 PM
Feb 14, 2018 3:43 AM

Nov 2013
It’s weird how everyone is talking about how funny this episode was, but for me this was one of the most emotional episodes of the show. When Mitaka and Kyoko say their final goodbyes and the Kenji Kawai magic going on in the background.. Just beautiful... yet melancholic at the same time.

Best anime ever made.

Mar 1, 2018 5:39 AM

Mar 2014
Great episode. That misunderstanding was hilarious and at the end I felt sorry for Mitaka. But Asuna is not a bad choice, he should fall in love with her soon enough and realise that this traditional, humble and shy wife may be better than moody Kyoko. I can't imagine Asuna slapping him in the face like Kyoko did with Godai.
Mar 10, 2018 6:50 AM

Jun 2010
hysterical_ said:
RediceRyan said:

Yeah, it was even strange that Mitaka didn't even attempted to clear up the misunderstanding and simply assumed that the baby was referring to Asuna being pregnant.

This might be a language issue. Though I haven't studied the language, I have read that Japanese frequently features grammatical ambiguities like omission of subject, making misunderstandings like this more plausible. Any English translation will strain in such a situation. There's also the fact that Asuna talks about her dogs like they're people ("my brothers and sisters", etc.).
Aug 30, 2018 11:25 AM
Jan 2017
Holy shit This is misunderstandings turned to 11. I never expected mitaka's story to get over like this.This was really a bad episode. Mitaka deserves Asuna rather than that indecisive Kyoko. But I never really wanted to go to her like this.
CoreFinderAug 30, 2018 11:28 AM
Mar 20, 2019 11:55 AM

Nov 2016
So Mitaka and Asuna did it ? Oh man, these last episodes have been pretty eventful, but this one is something else.

Not just emotionally striking, also pretty damn trollish. What a way to take out a big rival. At least Mitaka proved to be a man in the end(or maybe an idiot).

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 22, 2019 9:42 AM

Jul 2015
Damn Mitaka surely regrets taking a dog, I feel like his situation is somewhat similiar to mr.Ichinose's situation of getting married, hopefully Mitaka will become happy

Seeing grandma in a bunny girl outfit, this series sure has its weird side

Apr 4, 2020 3:44 AM

Dec 2018
Ya bastards call this hilarious n comical? I knew Mitaka has never been a bad person, and to be fair, under the facade of all the gifted talents, he is the unluckiest and the most doom-fated character in this entire show. Fuck his uncle and Kyoko. I can't believe after what he suffers, this is what he gets. wtf is wrong with this show? Honestly that ending broke me, which makes me think this show was just a massive troll this entire time.

Of course I don't mean to ship Mitaka and Kyoko or anything, but let him live with his heart's consent goddamn it. I want to see a fair play between rivals, not this stupid half ass misunderstanding half ass ass hole family members. Even if they make up for him (i.e. how he is happy after the marriage), it's still unfair and extremely silly. Oh how I can't stop hating this show.
. . .
Oct 13, 2020 11:35 AM

Jun 2016
Man, I really feel sorry for Mitaka. lmao
Oct 18, 2020 1:02 PM

May 2012
thats actually a hilarious way to wrap up stuff with mitaka lol
Dec 29, 2020 3:35 PM
Sep 2013
Rumiko makes you care for the character, and then does them so dirty. Poor Mitaka. Poor poor Mitaka.

Absolutely love this show. The way I see it, if a show can make you feel pity, anger or happiness, then it’s written well.
Feb 12, 2021 11:22 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Damn, what was that? And people call this a realistic show with realistic characters -_- Absolutely mediocre, in every way possible.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 23, 2021 11:44 PM

Sep 2018
This is probably the worst plot device I have ever seen in anime .
Preachee said:
Ya bastards call this hilarious n comical? I knew Mitaka has never been a bad person, and to be fair, under the facade of all the gifted talents, he is the unluckiest and the most doom-fated character in this entire show. Fuck his uncle and Kyoko. I can't believe after what he suffers, this is what he gets. wtf is wrong with this show? Honestly that ending broke me, which makes me think this show was just a massive troll this entire time.

Of course I don't mean to ship Mitaka and Kyoko or anything, but let him live with his heart's consent goddamn it. I want to see a fair play between rivals, not this stupid half ass misunderstanding half ass ass hole family members. Even if they make up for him (i.e. how he is happy after the marriage), it's still unfair and extremely silly. Oh how I can't stop hating this show.

cchigu said:
Damn, what was that? And people call this a realistic show with realistic characters -_- Absolutely mediocre, in every way possible.

I absolutely agree with you. This was so cheap and lame that I completely lost that little hope I still had for this show. Such a shame.
May 9, 2021 6:15 AM

May 2019
That misunderstanding is not only hilarious but also brutal for Mitaka haha. He must have done something really bad towards dogs that his life is miserable because of them. At least the misunderstanding makes him settle his engagement and say goodbye to Kyoko. Pretty funny way to put closure for Mitaka.

Jun 3, 2021 1:19 PM

Jan 2018
Reapermask said:
Damn Mitaka surely regrets taking a dog, I feel like his situation is somewhat similiar to mr.Ichinose's situation of getting married, hopefully Mitaka will become happy

Seeing grandma in a bunny girl outfit, this series sure has its weird side
This! Glad I'm not the only one who spotted this lol. The Ichinose family turned out okay in the end so I'm sure the same will happen to Mitaka. I wonder if this was intentional foreshadowing.

I also believe that Mitaka starting out as dogphobic, then trying to get over it, but ultimately being undone by his own dog was genius. Out of all things I never would've expected Mitaka to end up with Asuna over a FUCKING misunderstanding ROFL. My opinion on Mitaka is still a bit contradictory, I respect him for being "responsible". I liked that he made up with Kyoko properly after that fateful night. But ultimately fate seemed to have jizzed on HIS face this time.

Fronzel said:
hysterical_ said:

Yeah, it was even strange that Mitaka didn't even attempted to clear up the misunderstanding and simply assumed that the baby was referring to Asuna being pregnant.

This might be a language issue. Though I haven't studied the language, I have read that Japanese frequently features grammatical ambiguities like omission of subject, making misunderstandings like this more plausible. Any English translation will strain in such a situation. There's also the fact that Asuna talks about her dogs like they're people ("my brothers and sisters", etc.).
You'd be correct.
Blarey said:
It’s weird how everyone is talking about how funny this episode was, but for me this was one of the most emotional episodes of the show. When Mitaka and Kyoko say their final goodbyes and the Kenji Kawai magic going on in the background.. Just beautiful... yet melancholic at the same time.

Best anime ever made.

I 100% agree.

I think I put too many things in a single comment. Judging from the preview, Kozue comes next. It looks like her character design was updated a bit (it’s been 4 years after all) and she looks cuter. Prefer her over Yagami.
Jan 6, 2022 12:16 PM

Nov 2008
In a show built on very silly misunderstandings, it's not any surprise that this is why Mitaka marries her. Unreal that none of her talk about the dogs gave it away until after the engagement and that she never stopped to ask herself if he thought she meant herself. Practically impossible.
EzekielJan 8, 2022 5:33 AM

Sep 30, 2022 9:58 PM
May 2018
great voice acting from mitaka @22:30. お前のおかげで俺の人生は…せ- 責任とってくれよ‼︎ AAAAAAAAGH
Jun 17, 2023 11:42 AM

May 2016
That was a good example of the saying "taking the poor taste too far" how can you take him out like that I feel fkn bad for him...
Jul 26, 2023 6:50 PM

May 2022
The mother of all misunderstandings!

Yo guys, it's a comedy, no need to take it so seriously.

Asuna san sure is happy, and if wife is happy, so will Mitaka san be.

Grandma in a bunny suit? Now there's fan service :D
Nov 3, 2023 7:48 PM
Feb 2019
I never liked Mitaka but this is too cruel.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 9, 2009

31 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 21, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 9 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

24 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 8 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

30 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 7 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 2, 2011

20 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 6 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

28 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.