Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2009 11:37 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Apparently Ran entered Ichise's mind and showed him bits of his past, including the ones who framed his father. Finding them, he proceeded to butcher them in the boxing arena. Now, I wonder if they were even the ones who framed his father or did the bits of his past cause him to go temporarily insane? Also, I'm interested on what role the miners will have in the overall story. I think that Ran is one of them, as they seem protective of her and they know about her ability. Finally, from the ending, it appears that the future she didn't want to tell Ichise was him killing the people in the boxing arena.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 13, 2010 6:43 PM
May 2008
I'm liking this. At first it this series was ok, then it was confusing, but now the story is fitting together and its getting really good.
May 9, 2012 5:02 PM

Dec 2010
Even if Ichise killed the real framers I wonder if he can get away too easy with it. And Ran seems to be able to do something more than just precognition. Anyway, this story is becoming more of a consistent one, although I can't guess what's gonna happen next.
Jul 27, 2012 6:37 PM

Jul 2012
Ichise went berserk again, wonder if he's gonna get away with it, and if they were really the ones who framed his father.

Also, Onishi is having an affair with his super secretary? Not sure if that's it or if it is something else.
Also we discovered that Doc used to belong to The Class, at least I don't remember it being mentioned before.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Dec 6, 2012 4:25 AM

Jun 2010
When Ran said that she didn't want to see Ichise's future, I thought she meant a further-off future. Why didn't she want to see him get revenge?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2013 4:34 AM

Jan 2012
The end was awesome. Been waiting for another all out fight.

Jun 3, 2013 8:49 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Nice to see more of Ran
Aug 14, 2013 12:24 AM

Nov 2012
insan3soldiern said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Apparently Ran entered Ichise's mind and showed him bits of his past, including the ones who framed his father. Finding them, he proceeded to butcher them in the boxing arena. Now, I wonder if they were even the ones who framed his father or did the bits of his past cause him to go temporarily insane? Also, I'm interested on what role the miners will have in the overall story. I think that Ran is one of them, as they seem protective of her and they know about her ability. Finally, from the ending, it appears that the future she didn't want to tell Ichise was him killing the people in the boxing arena.
Am wondering about that too....
Aug 30, 2013 7:38 AM
May 2012
Good episode and Ichise is talking now huh his voice is awesome.
Sep 30, 2013 9:47 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
So Ran can not only see the future but the past too and share with others? She's quite the weapon then!

Ichise is a total psycho. They literally need to collar him because when he loses it...

This series is so good.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 7, 2013 4:57 PM

Nov 2009
Damn . . . Those guys got messed up. Ouch.
Apr 13, 2014 9:59 PM

Jan 2013
Once again dat voice.
Ichise is one badass.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 15, 2014 10:02 AM

May 2012
Things are going to get real next episode!
May 19, 2014 9:28 AM

Jun 2011
Holyzhit. Ichise..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 13, 2014 8:01 PM

Jun 2014
Wait so the people in the black masks are from Gabe?..

"I think you should get some rest... in my apartment..." lol tryin to make a smooth move on Onishi.
m-i-c-h-a-e-lJun 13, 2014 9:17 PM
Jan 4, 2015 6:49 PM

Aug 2014
There were a lot of interesting developments in this episode. First, we saw Ichise and the other guy sort of connect through the fact that they hated their fathers and they are sort of similar. Next we realize why Ichise hasn't been with Ran and the fact that she probably saw his future during his fight when she was wearing the mask. Finally, we see the development of Ichise when he resents his previous life as a fighter in that arena and the people who bet in that arena and that he now wants revenge for his father which he got at the end of the episode. I find it interesting that he always chooses to use fists instead of his sword. It kind of reminds me of batman because he never tried to kill bad people no matter how bad they were and I'm getting the same impression from Ichise. Maybe deep down inside he's a pretty nice guy. Another great episode. I feel like the last few episodes were a bit boring with not as much content as the others but I feel the show is picking up the pace again and is becoming better with each episode.

Jan 22, 2015 7:49 AM

May 2011
berserker15 said:
There were a lot of interesting (...) great episode.

Indeed, Ichise's strong emotional response, or his 'berserk' stems from the psychological scars he has obtained from his past as a fighter. The first episode already gave away a very powerful message regarding his initial 'occupation' and how psychologically involved he was with it; providing us an actual start to his story through the events of betraying the corporation he 'worked' (Organo) for and getting his limbs chopped off. The 'berserk' in him serves as a significant motif in Ichise's part of the story in Texhnolyze, after all.

Indeed, Toyama served as a sort of parallel to Ichise. They both hate their fathers, although vastly different in a sense that one was imbued hatred (incest) and the other being in anonimity (distant). Additionally, it is also notable that while Toyama seriously lacks the aforementioned self-worth, Ichise is the exact opposite - his extreme pride gets into his head many times, which is also a trigger factor to his 'berserk'.

Additionally, Ichise uses his fists precisely due to his past as a fighter for Organo. It would be his innate instincts to use his fists, not just for this episode, but also the previous episodes of his 'berserk' too.
berserker15 said:
I feel like the last few episodes were a bit boring with not as much content as the others but I feel the show is picking up the pace again and is becoming better with each episode.

I'd beg to differ regarding this opinion. This episode I believe is one of the simplest episode yet, in which dialogue helps to explain everything without any foreshadowing, imagery and intense mood-evoking compared to the previous arc. Henceforth, the content IMO for this episode is so much lesser compared to those episodes involving Ichise with his new texhnolyzed limbs (his struggle to adapt and manage his new limbs, both physically and psychologically), and obviously the episodes involving the 'spectacle'.

Decent episode nonetheless. The focus is now shifted back to Ichise, like how it should be after that blow towards Yoshii in episode 10.
grayrebornnhyJan 22, 2015 8:59 AM
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Feb 18, 2015 11:40 PM
Jul 2014
Interesting. I wonder in which direction's gonna go this show!
Mar 20, 2015 3:53 AM

Dec 2013
I like where this is going. The story has been getting better and better
May 16, 2015 6:22 PM

Sep 2013
Onishi playin' hard to get.
Jun 9, 2015 7:46 AM
Nov 2014
Great episode, Ichise is one crazy mofo.
Aug 2, 2015 11:22 AM

Jan 2014
Great ep.... Ichise voice is awesome!
Feb 14, 2016 10:03 PM

Aug 2007
It's taking me a long time to get into this anime, and I've... been trying to watch it for a ridiculously long time. This episode was actually not too bad, though. I feel like things are starting to make more sense and the pacing is better. Hopefully it'll continue like this for the rest of the anime.

Dec 4, 2016 7:02 PM

Apr 2012
^Same with me, I never feel in much of a rush to see the next episode, even now it's picked up...

It seems the future she saw of him has to do with the katana rather than the miners, as that's what made her freak out the first time, and when he drew the blade later it flashed back to her. I should feel more intrigued about his future than I do, it's just "meh ok then, something something".

*On reflection, biting the bullet and finally dropping this, I'm getting nothing out of it. Took over 4 months to get this far my god
BlackoutingDec 4, 2016 7:18 PM
Dec 27, 2017 6:12 AM

Jan 2017
Hungry and sexually frustrated people.
Oonishi still has self-control.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Jan 14, 2018 12:28 PM

Mar 2012
Yea it was his mother's cells in his arm/leg showing him the past. Not sure why people thought it was Ran doing it when she can't look into the past or transmit what she sees into another person's head.

Ichise avenged his father but it will probably cost him.
Jan 22, 2018 8:29 PM
Jan 2018
I think Ichse misunderstood his vision, When ran passes out he thinks his mom is giving him visions of his past when actually Ran is giving him visions of the future. All thanks to the Doc .....and her lie. So when Ichse kills those guys he thinks that its the people who framed his father, he is totally wrong. Ichse even says in the previous ep. that his mom knew..... which he only thought that cuz the visions Ran showed him, and again he mistook the visions coming from his mom instead of ran. Ran only sees the future. His moms cells where never in his arm of leg....... the Docs cells are the ones she used.
Anyone that is Texhnolyzed can see these premonitions. Ichsee is just a wild animal who acts on impulse throughout the entire series.
trillynaJan 22, 2018 8:33 PM
Oct 24, 2018 6:54 AM

Oct 2012
Avenger-senpai said:
Yea it was his mother's cells in his arm/leg showing him the past. Not sure why people thought it was Ran doing it when she can't look into the past or transmit what she sees into another person's head.

Ichise avenged his father but it will probably cost him.

Damn thank you for clarifying I thought it was his mom too and then I came to this thread and got confused. I think you're right though that makes way more sense and Ran was like unconscious in that scene anyways.

Crazy see episode though im glad we're starting to get some more clear information.
Jan 24, 2019 12:34 PM

May 2013
Love that they explained some of Ichise's past in this one.

But I'm still a bit confused about the class and the people of Gabe. So the people from the mountain are the people of Gabe, and the people from the hill are the class? It seems the people of the mountains/Gabe/ppl with the masks are maybe miners, and Ichise is one of them. Maybe that's why he can see some of Ran's visions in his own head? Makes me wonder if maybe Onishi is also one of them, since he can also talk to the city, and got visions over the phone in an earlier episode. And wasn't Toyama'a dad a miner as well?

So far it looks like the class are above the people of Gabe in terms of power, but i think the people of Gabe might have more power than the people of the city, which is why even the Organo can't touch Ran.

Edit:

Blackouting said:

It seems the future she saw of him has to do with the katana rather than the miners, as that's what made her freak out the first time, and when he drew the blade later it flashed back to her.

*On reflection, biting the bullet and finally dropping this, I'm getting nothing out of it. Took over 4 months to get this far my god

That's actually a really good observation - i didn't notice that at all.
As for the second part of your comment, that's really a shame. We're still in the build up phase, and shit has barely even hit the fan yet. In traditional Japanese storytelling, the plot always unfolds very slowly, and then explodes towards the end, in comparison to western story telling where the climax is in the middle, followed by falling action and resolution. If you're more used to western media, it might feel slow, but rather it's just been rearranged to have the slow parts grouped together. Considering the slow buildup has been quite eventful as is, I'm sure you can imagine how much shit will hit the fan down the road :)
PalePurpleJan 24, 2019 12:56 PM
落下のように、いつも落ちる。いつか救われることができるのかな? または落ち続けるでしょうか?永遠に
May 27, 2019 2:20 AM

Jul 2016
I CANNOT STOP WATCHING!!!!

I missed out on my college classes because of this Anime!
Oct 7, 2019 4:09 AM

Aug 2018
Ichise is 2badass
Oct 20, 2019 5:33 AM
Jul 2018
Loving the direction.

Wonder what's in store for Ichise... and, the men with masks that show up when Ran's in danger?
Jun 21, 2020 1:31 PM
Oct 2019
A very promising anime and it keeps getting better and better...
Mar 27, 2021 6:27 PM

Feb 2014
And this is the pedophilia part that reviewer was talking about, that guy wanted to "do things" to Ran.
Tbh, so do I
Apr 27, 2021 4:45 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Ichise taking revenge for his father, not sure if they're the right ones since his memories are mostly because of Ran but that was totally creepy.

Mod edit: removed deleted quote
ZedlinJan 8, 2023 6:26 PM
Mar 11, 2022 9:55 PM

Feb 2021
Wait so Ichise just randomly encountered his dad's murderer in the bar? Whack. Apparently it has to do with Ran's scream, she looked pretty terrified. It doesn't look like he has a bright future ahead of him
CrackMay 16, 2022 12:06 PM
Oct 7, 2022 5:32 AM

Oct 2020
It was a nice episode, we gradually learn the story of the main character and the masked girl.
Jan 3, 2023 1:29 PM

Dec 2010
Crack said:
Wait so Ichise just randomly encountered his dad's murderer in the bar? Whack. Apparently it has to do with Ran's scream, she looked pretty terrified. It doesn't look like he has a bright future ahead of him
It's not random at all, his father died after scolding the raffia traffickers and Ichise meets them while investigating raffia trafficking.

Anyways, I third the idea that Ichise was affected by his mother's memories. Ran was specifically unconscious when those images started flooding to him.
Mar 29, 2023 3:07 PM

Apr 2019
The best scene of comedy of all time

May 5, 2023 6:45 AM

Feb 2016
1. the scene where Toyama and Ichise are dueling is comically bad, but he's also the one person besides Ran that managed to "connect" with Ichise, or something close to it, thus far
2. if you didn't realise it yet, the Voice of City can only comunicate though Texhnolyzed limbs, and at this point it's already hinted that Ran's aware of it (although it's debatable if it's done by her will or not)
3. now that Yoshii is out of the way, Ichise's dilemma is finally set in motion. meeting Ran and being Texhnolyzed ignited a change in him, now he doen't wish to go back to how he used to be. be that as it may, Ran already foresaw his future and it doesn't seem like she believes he'll be able to change.
4. minor conflicts of other characters are also being set up: the girl from Rakan, and also Hal, obviously wish for some form of recognition from Shinji, who doesn't seem all too willing; same applies to Oonishi's secretary. the show will not give the Union the same level of attention, for whatever reason
5. Kohakura is showing some interest in the Class by asking Oonishi about Doc, somewhat important information to understand his motivations later on
llorandoMay 5, 2023 6:55 AM
May 28, 2023 5:23 PM

Oct 2019
llorando said:
1. the scene where Toyama and Ichise are dueling is comically bad, but he's also the one person besides Ran that managed to "connect" with Ichise, or something close to it, thus far
2. if you didn't realise it yet, the Voice of City can only comunicate though Texhnolyzed limbs, and at this point it's already hinted that Ran's aware of it (although it's debatable if it's done by her will or not)
3. now that Yoshii is out of the way, Ichise's dilemma is finally set in motion. meeting Ran and being Texhnolyzed ignited a change in him, now he doen't wish to go back to how he used to be. be that as it may, Ran already foresaw his future and it doesn't seem like she believes he'll be able to change.
4. minor conflicts of other characters are also being set up: the girl from Rakan, and also Hal, obviously wish for some form of recognition from Shinji, who doesn't seem all too willing; same applies to Oonishi's secretary. the show will not give the Union the same level of attention, for whatever reason
5. Kohakura is showing some interest in the Class by asking Oonishi about Doc, somewhat important information to understand his motivations later on
1. it def was something alright. I do agree that he managed to connect with Ichise
2. Did not realize this, had no clue on this
3. RIP
4. im curious if the Union will have more of a part to play or if they will be relegated as a third party with little development.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Dec 17, 2023 4:33 PM
Apr 2020
i hate supernatural in sci-fi shows

More topics from this board

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - May 6, 2009

174 by chow141 »»
Apr 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 14, 2009

66 by Sanak_ »»
Apr 4, 4:08 AM

» If you connected with any of these characters, why?

sheaswee - Feb 7

14 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 31, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

loghneckbeard - Apr 28, 2010

53 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zepwich - Dec 9, 2009

63 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.