Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 4, 2014 6:22 PM

Jan 2011
It's like this show knows every soft spot to hit me right in the feels again T_T

shame not a lot of people might not even bother watching this, show is a late bloomer
Dec 4, 2014 6:41 PM
Nov 2012
I remember I started watching this show at the beginning just for something a little light-hearted to take the edge off the heavier shows I was watching.

Ha ha ha jokes on me this last episode was heartbreaking :(
Dec 4, 2014 6:53 PM

Mar 2014
Very slow start, but it looks like YuYuYu is heading for a strong finish. The emotions were palpable and real and the OST is excellent. Whoever's working on this show knows how to set an atmosphere very nicely.
And yes, just like Madoka, neither the Heroes nor the Taisha are completely at fault here...although I'd argue YuYuYu makes a stronger case for it because no heroes = world will very clearly go bye bye. But here I'll stop, because I dislike the Madoka comparisons.

I don't like how the Taisha tried to pit Karin against the others, though. Yeah, you need to cover up the whole "You're gonna lose all bodily functions eventually and are effectively immortal so have fun" thing...but that's just nasty. If that's how you treat the girls whom you're making into human sacrifices to keep the world from exploding, I wouldn't want to save your shitty world.

Overall, pleased I stuck with it. I look forward to how they'll wrap it up in three episodes, or if there'll be a surprise second season at the end. 10/10 if the Taisha and the Vertex bite it thanks to Yuuna and co.
Dec 4, 2014 7:13 PM
May 2014
Heartbreaking episode, I really like the approach they took and how they handled Fuu's breakdown. It really helps too that they had us, the viewers, bond with the characters earlier by making them interact so much in the SoL moments and making them as likeable as possible even though they are badly written and the dialogue was bad.

It made this episode much more impactful and also that soundtrack is sublime, the fight scene was great, the directing gave us some very beautifull shots and overall great episode. Sadly it can't save this series from the earlier episodes but still rising the score.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Dec 4, 2014 7:39 PM

Jan 2013
"Heroes never die" what does this mean
so Togo was just doing some test so what cuz she is smart
I feel sad for Fu-senpai becuz of the truth she learned
Fu-senpai went bat-shit crazy and I understand that feeling
It really was messed up sacrificing the girls' bodies to protect the earth but it was no one's fault becuz they didn't know but whatever
sacrifice urself for the world or let others sacrifice themselves for u n the earth
Dec 4, 2014 8:43 PM

May 2013
Poor Itsuki... she really has the worst QQ

Now that is one frightening development... Togo is so smart and daring. This series became a lot more dark in just one episode... ugh so tragic.

Damn, that conniving Taisha.

Rub salt in the wound would you?

That's a bit too much information is it not Itsuki? Unless it was part of some question.

SHIT that breakdown. Too bad the music was and wasn't fitting imo.

Still don't think the fight is over for them. Which makes things just that more heartbreaking. Hang in there girls.
Dec 4, 2014 9:04 PM

Aug 2007
I went into this show hoping it would be dark and boy am I glad I stuck with it. Wonderfully painful episode that handles emotional breakdown very well. The earlier episodes did a good job at establishing empathy for the girls so that when things get bad one feels very deeply for them.

And Tougo pulling out a knife and trying to kill herself was pure gold. At first I was afraid she'd be the usual smart but very shy character who just wants everyone to be happy but isn't all relevant to the plot and has to be rescued over and over again but fortunately I was proven completely wrong.
She is smart, determined and highly capable and I'm afraid something awful will come her way next week.
Dec 4, 2014 9:10 PM

Mar 2014
Wow, that was intense. My stomach actually dropped when I thought Togo had up and killed herself right in front of her friends, and not just because she's been my favorite character in the series either. That said, I have to give some love to Fu (and to her seiyuu). Her character was absolutely the right choice to carry this episode, with the reality of their situation coming crashing down on her the hardest as the group leader, and the way she kept trying to delay and deny acknowledging the truth that was staring them in the face just made it all that much more painful in the end.

The use of the music was fantastic in this episode too. They not only knew when to use it (and I LOVE the new audio track that played during Togo's demonstration - seriously, just release this OST so I can buy it already!), they knew exactly when to turn the music off, too. The complete silence during Fu and Itsuki's horribly awkward dinner really added to the tension of that scene, and then ending with the girls fighting each other to the tune of Itsuki's audition song. Which, BTW, was one of those times when I wish I knew Japanese so that I'd know what Itsuki was singing in her lyrics - I have to think that would probably add even more punch to the scene, and it's already pretty powerful as it is.
Dec 4, 2014 9:24 PM

Aug 2007
WingKing said:
Which, BTW, was one of those times when I wish I knew Japanese so that I'd know what Itsuki was singing in her lyrics - I have to think that would probably add even more punch to the scene, and it's already pretty powerful as it is.

I wasn't paying much attention to the lyrics but it's about being filled with hope and having one's voice reach someone. And how glad Itsuki is to have met the person to whom the song is dedicated. It ends with 'Thank you, always"
Dec 5, 2014 1:01 AM

Aug 2013
at first i wanted some tragedy like this to befall them but now...now im just sad
Yo
Dec 5, 2014 2:31 AM
Sep 2011
Nocturnal said:
WingKing said:
Which, BTW, was one of those times when I wish I knew Japanese so that I'd know what Itsuki was singing in her lyrics - I have to think that would probably add even more punch to the scene, and it's already pretty powerful as it is.

I wasn't paying much attention to the lyrics but it's about being filled with hope and having one's voice reach someone. And how glad Itsuki is to have met the person to whom the song is dedicated. It ends with 'Thank you, always"

That's monstrous.
Dec 5, 2014 2:59 AM

Mar 2012
This is now my favorite episode of the series.
i cried like a bitch on the 2nd half.

i hope the later episodes were better.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 5, 2014 3:26 AM

Jan 2014
Hmm Yuuna used Mankai three-four times, what will she lose this time D:
Quite sad episode, let's see what the Hero club will do now.
Dec 5, 2014 3:36 AM

May 2010
FINALLY THE MOMENT. MAL learnt this anime's inner awesomeness.

Man Itsuki and her care for her friends. Her recording... She actually advanced to the 2nd stage of the audition. Karin being forced into thinking that her friends have gone mad. On the other hand, Yuuna is keeping everyong together even if takes her everything.

"Our fight is over. We won't lost anymore." That hit hard.

Itsuki is suffering the hardest but she is still smiling. Such a positive girl.

This left me breathless. This anime is no Madoka or anything. It's good on its own, more like amazing.

11/10 for this episode, I loved Itsuki's song... And I felt for everyone.
Dec 5, 2014 3:53 AM

Jul 2010
So glad I didn't drop this show.
“Are there some unseen roles that we have unknowingly set ourselves into, dictating the rules of engagement whenever we see each other, inevitably leading to us hurting each other?”
Dec 5, 2014 4:34 AM

Sep 2014
[u]8 MIN BGM[/u] track playing from 16 mins to 24 mins (ended before the next episode preview played)

emotional episode, significantly more than the rest so far
Darstorm-SandudeDec 5, 2014 4:38 AM
I don't consider myself a good judge.

trying not to be an obnoxious otaku
Dec 5, 2014 5:08 AM

Dec 2013
Yuuna's calmness is scary.

Girl with mentality like her must be the kind that Taisha want the most.
Dec 5, 2014 5:35 AM

Nov 2014
It was an emotional episode.
Like most ppl said, when Tougo attempted to use the knife to cut her neck, I was like "what the?!!" and then she went on elaborating on how she tried to kill herself many times in many different ways to see if "she can't die". While testing a theory is for gaining knowledge, it does not mean involving such risks! This is where I would say curiosity kills a cat if not for her spirits.
And then, the matter about Itsuki's loss of voice... I was surprised Itsuki was forgiving or should I say looking at the bright side and not blaming anyone; she even thanked her sister for inviting her to the Hero's club since she wouldn't think of singing as a career if not for joining the club. I really applaud her forgiving nature. Likewise to Yunna's optimistic side when she said that not dying is something good.(But not to Tougo...)
Last thing to address: the preview... It seemed like the fighting is still going on or something and Tougo seems to be doing something big like a sacrifice-Looking forward to the next episode!
Dec 5, 2014 7:41 AM

Oct 2011
10/10, would cry again.

I still want to believe they'll all get better, because the ending shows them all happy and stuff, but I don't see how it would happen.
Dec 5, 2014 7:50 AM

Mar 2014
Nalehw said:
Nocturnal said:

That's monstrous.

True, Nalehw, but I suspected it might be something like that, which is exactly why I asked. As if that scene wasn't emotionally charged enough already.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question, Nocturnal! That's going to be very helpful when I (inevitably) go back and re-watch the episode this weekend.
Dec 5, 2014 8:34 AM

Sep 2008
in b4 8.50 score if this episode had been episode 3
Dec 5, 2014 9:51 AM

Jan 2013
Great and painful episode, FFS.

yalvyn said:
Yuuna's calmness is scary.

Girl with mentality like her must be the kind that Taisha want the most.

Yeah, I felt that too. I was like "OMFGWTF this girl" when she said "because I'm a hero."
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 5, 2014 10:13 AM

Aug 2007
WingKing said:
Nalehw said:

That's monstrous.

True, Nalehw, but I suspected it might be something like that, which is exactly why I asked. As if that scene wasn't emotionally charged enough already.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question, Nocturnal! That's going to be very helpful when I (inevitably) go back and re-watch the episode this weekend.

It adds a note of dissonance to the whole situation, such positive lyrics that fit Itsuki to a t. It'd just be a sweet, uplifting song if not for the context. Glad I could help. Hopefully if the series is ever released abroad the lyrics will be translated.

And I wonder, why hasn't Karin hit mankai yet? I have a horrible feeling she will go mankai multiple times and become a vegetable or something.
Dec 5, 2014 11:39 AM
Oct 2013
Damn. This deserves a bit higher than 6.98 no?
Dec 5, 2014 12:16 PM

Feb 2014
Noooo such a sad episode ;_; they can never recover, even Itsiki who wanted to be a singer! Now I hate the Taisha.

So I though Togo's point about the faeries is interesting. While the faeries look like they exist to protect the heroes, they're actually there to force the heroes to do their job as...human sacrifices o_o

Although I get the whole flower symbol thing now. The flowers bloom as they use their power, and after they fully bloom (they use the Mankai), they wilt, and lose bodily functions. That's a pretty cool symbol if you ask me!

But it's so sad :( they are such nice people, but they are forced to sacrifice themselves in order to save the world. This was so cheery in the beginning but now...

I can see where Fuu's guilt is coming from. She didn't know about the Mankai but she did know about the hero thing beforehand
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2014 12:22 PM

Oct 2009
PetitFours said:

Yes, definitely.
Dec 5, 2014 12:25 PM

Mar 2014
PetitFours said:
It has been going up so there's that.
Dec 5, 2014 1:06 PM

Feb 2014
The show is rated by a mere ~2.2k users. 800 people have dropped it. Quite a few people rate shows they drop, and obviously they rate it thrash. There's also a lot of people (most actually) who don't rate a show until it's completed. You can expect it to get quite a nice jump in score once the show is over and everyone who watched it till the end starts rating it. It's just sad how the low score keeps people from checking it out, this show deserves more popularity!

About the actual episode. I didn't think anything of it when Togo said she tried to kill herself multiple times. Never once did I think she gave in to despair or anything like that, I just didn't get that vibe from the scene. She just did some researched based on the information they'd received. She probably started off lightly, trying to injure herself in some way that'd make her incapable of combat. Once she saw how the fairies reacted she went to more extremes. Considering the state she's in it's no wonder she's not afraid to die, so she probably didn't think too badly of the experiments.

Loved the ending, I liked this show from the start but it's just getting better and better. This episode bumped it up to a 9/10 for me, and with a solid finale I'm quite likely to increase it further. Looking forward to seeing what'll happen to the hero club.
I rarely revisit threads, so if you're after a reply you should PM me or post a comment on my profile.
Dec 5, 2014 2:10 PM

Aug 2013
xytech said:
The show is rated by a mere ~2.2k users. 800 people have dropped it. Quite a few people rate shows they drop, and obviously they rate it thrash. There's also a lot of people (most actually) who don't rate a show until it's completed. You can expect it to get quite a nice jump in score once the show is over and everyone who watched it till the end starts rating it. It's just sad how the low score keeps people from checking it out, this show deserves more popularity!

This is exactly why you should rate this anime high (if you think it deserves it) even if it isn't in your taste to rate anime before it's over. To promote it.

Also why do people keep on jumping to extremes when they saw Togo try to kill herself? It's not that uncommon of people to try to commit suicide or consider to commit suicide as a investigation of sorts. Despair isn't always the reason for suicide.

I really couldn't help but cry at seeing Fu go into despair. Every time I saw her face and heard her cry I just ;_; Damn I thought I prepared myself for this... Looks like I didn't prepare myself enough. That was an incredibly emotional part. The BGM was absolutely fantastic and really helped push the emotional levels in this episode.

BTW did anybody realize that the first time Fu cried only her functional eye cried but every other time the tears were coming from both eyes. Was this just a screw up? or perhaps the eye patch absorbed the tears?
Or maybe Fu's eye is becoming functional again? There is a bit of hope...
Although I suspect that it was just a screw up...
[/url]
Seven-Coloured Puppeteer.
Dec 5, 2014 3:50 PM

Feb 2012
I agree with he fairies, I don't want Tougo to kill herself. I would protect dat ass every time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2014 4:56 PM

Mar 2014
Nocturnal said:
It adds a note of dissonance to the whole situation, such positive lyrics that fit Itsuki to a t. It'd just be a sweet, uplifting song if not for the context. Glad I could help. Hopefully if the series is ever released abroad the lyrics will be translated.

And I wonder, why hasn't Karin hit mankai yet? I have a horrible feeling she will go mankai multiple times and become a vegetable or something.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a North American release. Pony Canyon just set up their own US division for anime licensing and home video releases, and this is one of the first two shows that the new PonyCanUS has in their inventory (Denki Gai is the other). Of course we've seen many times in the past that just owning a license for North America doesn't guarantee that we'll see an actual commercial release, but they do have an English language website up for Yuki Yuna and it has a (still inactive) "BD/DVD" link on it. So I'm cautiously hopeful at this point, but obviously it would help its chances of getting released here if we could get more people to actually watch the show. Unfortunately magical girl has often been a tough sell in the US market, Sailor Moon aside.

As for why Karin never went Mankai, I'm pretty sure the girls have to make a conscious decision to invoke Mankai mode once they're powered up enough, and she (unlike the others) never had a reason to do that during the episode 5 battle. She took out the first vertex by herself, then got knocked out by the giant merged vertex, and by the time she recovered the battle was already mostly over except for sealing the last one. I just went back and watched some of episode 5 again...of the two transformations where we see the actual moments leading up to it, Yuki shouted "Mankai!" just before she transformed. Fu did not, but she was trapped in the vertex's water bubble at the time and she did say something like "I'm not going to be defeated here" just before her transformation began. Both of those seem like evidence to me like it's done by choice rather than automatically.
Dec 5, 2014 5:13 PM

Sep 2012
A very sad episode :(

Dec 6, 2014 12:03 AM

May 2010
xytech said:

About the actual episode. I didn't think anything of it when Togo said she tried to kill herself multiple times. Never once did I think she gave in to despair or anything like that, I just didn't get that vibe from the scene. She just did some researched based on the information they'd received. She probably started off lightly, trying to injure herself in some way that'd make her incapable of combat. Once she saw how the fairies reacted she went to more extremes. Considering the state she's in it's no wonder she's not afraid to die, so she probably didn't think too badly of the experiments.

Agreed. Suicide due to despair doesn't make sense at this point as it would solve nothing and only cause more despair for others. In addition, she had a lot of things left to be done, so of course she would have to keep herself alive to do those things.
Dec 6, 2014 3:03 AM

Sep 2009
I have a strong feeling this is going to take a Madoka Magica dive,
and we're going to learn that though they cannot be killed outside of battle,
If killed in battle, they become a vertex.

Or more so, they become gods just like nogi did,
and if they don't become gods, they still become vertex.

It also gives off a Mai Hime vibe too.
Find me on:

Gaiaonline - Maleedawl
League of Legends - Maleedawl
Steam - Maleedawl
Dec 6, 2014 4:25 AM

Jun 2010
Fantastic episode.
Fuu's tears dan Togo's scary experiment, also that silent at the middle and itsuki's song at the end of episode was too much for me.
Dec 6, 2014 5:08 AM

Dec 2013
Two straight strong episodes.

That's what it means to be a hero in the world. Sacrifices have to be made. Fuu is right to blame herself, though she has the endless support of the rest of the girls. And notice how Togo actually tried to kill herself, and the fact that she wasn't there in the end? I get the feeling that she's actually slipping into despair, or at least the least emotionally stable of the 5 girls. This episode sold Fuu as the one who would break, but I get the feeling that Togo is the closest one to breaking (who would even test killing themselves anyway?).
HESTIAAPPROVES
Dec 6, 2014 5:46 AM

Jul 2013
Dayem that song hurts T_T
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Dec 6, 2014 7:38 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Makes me wonder if this series will have a happy ending after all.
Dec 6, 2014 10:13 AM

Nov 2013
I expected feels in this anime,but...but i wasn`t prepared ;-;

This episode was so sad.........

And Yuna,Yuna fighting with Fuu,despite the risks...WOW!!
This is where I`d put my signature...If i had one.
Dec 6, 2014 3:13 PM

Aug 2008
kuuderes_shadow said:
Olem said:
Seriously, what's up with the tags(Fantasy, Magic, Slice of Life) T_T I was expecting a nice SoL magical girl anime when I first started watching.

it was just "Slice of Life" until about the time when episode 3 aired.

Madoka was the same. Pretty beast episode that show had then. This is how all maho shojo should be like!

As for Togo trying to commit seppuku. Well, maybe she was just testing it since she figured something out? She doesn't strike me as having gone nuts after all.

Sadly, even if Heroes aren't supposed to die, I feel like Yuuna is going to go Madoka on us. It should be glorious is played right though.
Dec 6, 2014 4:26 PM

Mar 2014
naki12 said:
This is my attempt at transcribing and translating the insert song ^^ It was hard because it was in the background behind Fuu-senpai's screams and talking, etc. Which made me go through the feels again every time >_<
Now Fuu-senpai's voice AND the song are stuck in my head...

It's incomplete though, couldn't make out some of the lyrics and some words I am unsure of I put in italics and underline. Great if anyone can correct those parts (or anything else!!)

Romaji

English translation

Fuu-senpai so much suffering ;_;

Why did you have to take Itsuki's voice of all things? Y u do dis to Itsuki??
How can she continue to sing now?!
She finally found her dream...
She had one dream... ONE DREAM!!
Taisha and Shinju-sama no kuso yarou!

The song is already available, by the way, it's in the OP single.
Dec 6, 2014 6:59 PM
Sep 2011
Saffron_entity said:
Also why do people keep on jumping to extremes when they saw Togo try to kill herself? It's not that uncommon of people to try to commit suicide or consider to commit suicide as a investigation of sorts. Despair isn't always the reason for suicide.

Suicide is the worst investigative technique I have ever heard of.

I think the reasons why should be obvious.
Dec 6, 2014 7:00 PM

Jul 2012
I haven't even watched this anime yet, but it looks like I have to now.
Dec 6, 2014 7:11 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:

Do itttt! It's a pretty good mahou shoujo/moe/slice of life!
Dec 6, 2014 7:14 PM

Nov 2013
Saffron_entity said:
xytech said:

BTW did anybody realize that the first time Fu cried only her functional eye cried but every other time the tears were coming from both eyes. Was this just a screw up? or perhaps the eye patch absorbed the tears?
Or maybe Fu's eye is becoming functional again? There is a bit of hope...
Although I suspect that it was just a screw up...

1) It is an extreme. Kinda escalated quickly, but probably a lot more happened behind the scenes considering who Togo really is and all.

2) IIRC, shes just blind and blindness does not stop fluids in the eye from working.
Dec 6, 2014 9:06 PM

Oct 2012
T_________________T this.dem feels. omg. i can't take it. the ending. ;__; WHYY?? This is too sad. Poor Itsuki. and poor Fu-sempai ;_________________;

Dec 6, 2014 10:15 PM
Oct 2013
mayukachan said:
Definitely should, but don't be fooled by the SoL tag.
Dec 7, 2014 4:55 AM

Dec 2011
To those saying that Togo was not trying to commit suicide, that may be true - although I think it unlikely. Whatever her reasoning, she must have been prepared to die, at least - those creatures are there to stop them dying, not to stop them getting any form of harm, so she must have at least been prepared to put her life in genuine risk. The things she listed herself as having tried are all ones that would have created this serious threat to her life.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 7, 2014 5:10 AM

Jun 2014
Itsuki is really, really a strong girl.
Not everyone will easily accepted at the fact that they can't succeed their dream anymore.
I understand how Fu feels though...

A really nice episode of feels.
Dec 7, 2014 11:18 AM

Jun 2014
Holy cow how much of a badass is Tougo?! Committing suicide not once but 10 freaking times? There's no way to guarantee that the spirits can protect you from anything. She even tried CO poisoning lol. And afterwards analyzing the results so rationally. This girl has balls XD

As for Fu, I can understand the logic behind her pain, but I don't sympathize with her at all. The moment she roped the girls in for the fight, she should have been prepared for them to die or get maimed. That's a burden the leader should fully understand from the very start.
Not only is she ineffectual as Karin states, but the thing that irked me about her the most is that she got her own family involved to begin with.
I have 4 sisters myself, and even if a God requested it I would never put a family member in danger like that, I find what she did incomprehensible.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

142 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 8, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2014

98 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 8, 8:40 AM

Poll: » Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2014

58 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 7, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2014

67 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 4, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

112 by Fabrizio00 »»
Feb 26, 3:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.